Local Lads Likely To Leave Home Town Club This Summer

It seems that both Paul Dummett and Conor Newton could have offers soon from Celtic, and that means that St. Mirren, Celtic and Newcastle will have all offered them new deals, based on their very good performances for St. Mirren last season, while out on loan.

St Mirren's Conor Newton and Paul Dummett celebrate

Conor Newton and Paul Dummett at St. Mirren last season

However, the Newcastle offer is just for one year, and both Newcastle born youngsters are weighing up which team to sign for.

Paul Dummett looks the more likely to sign for Newcastle and he’s played once in a competitive game for Newcastle, but did well almost two years ago, when he came in for Danny Simpson on the US tour, when Danny had to return to England because his girlfriend was having their first baby.

But Conor simply hasn’t had a look in at Newcastle, and that’s a pity because he should have at least been given a chance to show what he can do.

Conor is busy thinking what he should do this summer, and he had this to say:

“I haven’t signed on with Newcastle yet but there is a deal on the table,” the 21-year-old confirmed. “I need to have a proper look at it once I get myself together.”

“The past six months is probably the most football I’ve played in my career so far so I just need to rest up for a few weeks. I understand there is an offer from St Mirren as well so that is definitely still a possibility.”

“I’d like to have made my decision within the next two weeks as the start of the season isn’t far off.” “It’s a big decision on whether I stay with Newcastle or move on. I’ve been there since I was nine years old and if I am to move on, it will be a massive thing for me.”

“I went out to Hong Kong for a tournament with the Newcastle lads after the season ended with St Mirren and it was great being back in amongst them. I’ve missed the banter. But I don’t think there is much chance of me getting regular football at Newcastle next season.”

“They plan to sign us and then put us straight back out on loan again. I just need to weigh up my options.”

Conor Newton played 20 times with 3 goals for St. Mirren last season, and Paul Dummett played 36 times with two goals.

Conor is being realistic about things, and maybe he should take Newcastle’s one year deal, and plan to get more first team playing experience at St. Mirren next season – and then see where things stand.

But Conor may pull the plug on his home town club and sign for a Scottish club – and it could even be Celtic.

Paul Dummett is the more likely to stay at Newcastle, but there again he could be off this summer somewhere north of the border.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• Slank

Jun 5, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Added two more to the list. Can’t be many left who could leave, surely:

Colo
    Williamson
    Debuchy
    Dummett
    Newton

• JAMSHA

Jun 5, 2013 at 1:59 PM

if he signs for celtic im happy for him… the lad will get to play in CL

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jun 5, 2013 at 2:00 PM

TDS, Repost
    Yeah, Hughes Austin, Rhodes all have big price tags. Neither Rhodes nor Austin did when they were signed by the club that they found fame with. The players you mention could be picked out by anyone who is able to do a google search on the internet.

A bit of hardwork going to the less glamourous destinations is all that is required to pick up players on much smaller fees, who still have great talent and will cost fortunes in a few years.The reason why the players are overpriced is because the Prem waits till they are famous and known before being interested in them.

• sparky55

Jun 5, 2013 at 2:02 PM

lot’s of great names being banded around…happy to see anyone of that calibre coming through the door…but why would they come with our great club in it’s current predicament.

We’re in a state of flux…we finished 16th with arguably a better squad than finished 5th the year before, and there’s no doubt Pardew’s position although safe now is by no means cast iron safe if we get off to a bad start or continue in the same vein of form we’re currently not enjoying…so if you were a good player looking for a move would you;

1) Be looking for a team with a chance of challenging for domestic honours
    2.) Be looking for a team playing in Europe
    3.) Be looking for a team that pay the wages you want
    4.) Be looking for a team with a manager who has a proven track record.
    5. Be looking for a team currently in good form
    6. Be looking for a team playing attractive football that suits your style of play
    7. Be looking for a team you have 100% faith in the managers ability and footballing beliefs.

Are those sensible thought???s…are these the sort of things footballers would consider when looking for a move?

If you went through a similar thought process would you come to Newcastle?

We need another good season under our belt to prove last year was a blip and then we’ll be able to attract the names we’re talking about today

• santonthenewmaldini

Jun 5, 2013 at 2:02 PM

St Mirren are actually a perfect club for us to loan youngsters at about 18 or 19 as they play good football and are also quite a family orientated club

Newton and Dummett should have been loaned out years ago but would like to think if Celtic do sign them we better get some compensation or at the very least make sure we get 1st option on the likes of Wanyama , Hooper or Foster when they become available

I actually think our youngsters have good ability but we have not nurtured them in the right way Ferguson is another who we may lose even though he is a cracking little nippy winger

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jun 5, 2013 at 2:03 PM

Won’t be a huge blow if either of these choose to leave. Connor could have been good for us, but we let him down with his development, Dummett is okay, but I think will go the way of Huntington.

We have offered 1 year deals, why would you take it? All it takes is picking up a bad injury at the end of the years deal, and you could find yourself severely limited in what to do and where to go.

For their own sakes, they should sign up elsewhere.

• ToonDarnSarf

Jun 5, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Lilongwe

But look at recent purchases and we have done that Bigi and Elliot came from lower leagues, and I imagine there’s a fair amount of trading in our youth teams that isn’t immediately obvious. A little bit of research tells us that Tavernier started in Leeds’ youth team and Ferguson started at Derry City.

• bzak12

Jun 5, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Slank You hav’n’t got Saylor on your list, reports couple of weeks ago suggested Marseille were interested in him.

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 5, 2013 at 2:13 PM

TDsarf,
    Ashley never got us relegated as the rot had already set in.
    Well as it happened we finished the 07/08 season in good form and playing well and started the next season quite promising,the blatant lies sold to KK and the ridiculous decision to sell Milner for 11M did indeed get relegated.

• Goodfella

Jun 5, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Do a deal with Celtic 5m plus these 2 for Hooper.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jun 5, 2013 at 2:15 PM

TDS,
    Bigi was recommended by a former player who had been at Coventry, Ray Ranson. Not a player we scouted until that recommendation. Elliot, there is some sort of tangled marital and family web that links Woodman and Elliot. Not to mention Pards at Charlton. So that isn’t really a scouting thing.

As for the kids, Vuckic, Krul, Moyo, Abeid etc. There are plenty of players we sign for the academy

Yes, most academies have players going in between, Vuckic, Krul, Moyo, Abeid, Hooper, Soderberg, Zamblera etc. There are plenty of players we sign for the academy I am talking about players playing first team at varying levels. 17/18/19. Even Derby signed Mason Bennet who is a good prospect for very little after he made a debut at 16.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jun 5, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Goodfella,
    We can’t do that, they will be out of contract and free to go wherever they want.

Santon,
    Yes we get compensation if they go anywhere as they are young enough for us to get paid for their development. I think the cut off is 24 for that sort of thing.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jun 5, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Ha, forgot to delete the middle bit after adding in the last paragraph. Oops!!

• Goodfella

Jun 5, 2013 at 2:19 PM

@12
    Good point 🙁

• marc

Jun 5, 2013 at 2:19 PM

REPOST
    marc // Jun 5, 2013 at 2:03 PM

@TDS

smalling did come from fulham your correct but only played there 13 times over 2 seasons and before that played at Maidstone United then was signed by man u and playing C/L and international level the point being he came from nowhere none of the other top teams even had him on their radar.

on Tiote ok that was a mistake he was great and its prop unfair to have him on the list but out of our top players his the only one that wouldnt bother me if he was sold

im not being negative TDS it just the way you are taking it im am simply saying imo until little things like this are addressed we wont be challaging for trophies i am very behind our team very i do believe things will get better.

and for the third time I DONT EXPECT ASHLEY TO DO THIS ALL AT ONCE!

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 5, 2013 at 2:38 PM

I hold my hands up and admit the five year plan has worked,we rearly are as bad as Villa
    ://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/newcastle-united/4580758/Newcastle-United-have-five-year-plan-to-emulate-Aston-Villa.html

• MacToon

Jun 5, 2013 at 3:02 PM

lol J4A, needed to click the “like” button there ha ha

So from Feb 2009
    “In five years’ time I would hope we would be challenging for everything,” Newcastle managing director Derek Llambias said

We still have time mate, don’t worry we’re in good hands!

• sparky55

Jun 5, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Jail…outstanding…brilliant…I love it!

thing is…none of them will be embarrassed by it…it’s proof positive you can’t believe a word they say and nor should we!

lol…made my day that…p!ssed mesel laffin’

• ToonDarnSarf

Jun 5, 2013 at 3:05 PM

Jail

Rot as in the finances and structure of the club. Fans hated Big Sam because of his style, and KK was an awful appointment, that was never going to work. Ok, I’ll grant you, the KK, Wise and Kinnear appointments were weird, but since then I think the decisions have been pretty sound.

• sparky55

Jun 5, 2013 at 3:09 PM

careful Jail…you’re in TDS’s sights for an official warning and blog censorship…so long as you say ‘you’ll always be behind the team and the manager” at the end of your sometimes ‘negative posts’, you might escape TDS censorship!

• sparky55

Jun 5, 2013 at 3:10 PM

TDS…prey tell the difference between pardew’s style and Allardyce’s style

• marc

Jun 5, 2013 at 3:12 PM

love it sparky55 @20
    i actually said in my last post i was behind the team and he has left me alone 🙂

• ToonDarnSarf

Jun 5, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Lilongwe

I think the club decided that rather than pay £2M transfer fee and £8kpw for a promising youngster in League One or League Two, they could get the same level of player abroad for a quarter of those figures.

But yeah, whether they start in Newcastle or at other clubs, I’d like to see some more promising British talent at the club for sure!

• ToonDarnSarf

Jun 5, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Marc

Then it goes without saying, we need better players than them if we’re going to push for the title. We should give a real go to the cups this season though, we should be targeting quarters at least every year.

We know its going to be up and down because every club is trying to improve too, but I really hope we can have a stable top 10 finish at a minimum.

• ToonDarnSarf

Jun 5, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Sparky – Big Sam wasn’t actually around log enough to get the club playing the way he wanted as it turned out. I was never massively against him anyway. I was against KK and Kinnear appointments though.

Pardew wants to play through Cabaye but he had so few good games last season, it just didn’t happen. Sure, the football was pretty dire last season. It better improve!

• croftus5678

Jun 5, 2013 at 3:23 PM

newton fair enough to let go but dummet imo is touching 1st team squad !

saying that we are well equiped at fb but i would think of putting hairdryer/debuchy/santon/dummet as my personal choice of fb’s.

• Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand

Jun 5, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Afternoon all, having a good day?

Average_contents…Welcome to the mad house. Even though I wasn’t on earlier, I’m still going to take credit for the feel good factor on the blog 😉

Now that’s been said, is there a feel good factor on the blog and how has this been allowed?

• Dondatta13

Jun 5, 2013 at 3:26 PM

I want to see NUFC kick on in a number of areas. A good start would be getting our academy to a grade A status…

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 5, 2013 at 3:27 PM

TDsarf ,
    You’ve evidently bought right in to this five year plan and now we’ve emulated Villa within four years do you think we should rewrite the plan or do you like it just as it is.

• Hebburn Mag

Jun 5, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Its frustrating knowing that we do have some good youngsters within he academy/reserve squad but we just never really seem to give them a chance. By the look of it we seem to be bringing in youngsters, sending them out on loan to develop and then instead trying to slowly introduce them to our first team squad, we sell them. It would be nice to see a few youngster playing for the first team now and again. (Inman, Campbell, Dummet, Newton, Good).

• Mister Tuff

Jun 5, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Jail/Sparky -you have been found guilty of voicing independant thoughts contrary to the Politbureau Ordnance number 1,300,069.
    You will forwith be banned from the blog and sent to a goolag in Siberia until you are “re-educated”. You will be allowed to receive and send one letter a year. Your postal
    address is;
    Goolag no. 1,300,069
    Tsar Detention centre Siberia (TDS)
    Russia.
    Good riddance -a couple of trouble makers.

• ToonDarnSarf

Jun 5, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Ha! Villa are a big club with a large wage bill, no way should they be doing so badly either!

But I still buy into the plan to get the foundations right first. Those are mostly in place now, so we just need the youth team sorted and hopefully we can kick on.

ButI don’t want to see the club risk massive debt to gamble on CL qualification. I want us to get there by clever signings, outstanding youth players and astute management.

• sparky55

Jun 5, 2013 at 3:36 PM

A good start would be the manager coaching the team to play football again as opposed to hoofball. We have some great players at the club, most of whom can pass the ball around in their sleep yet the manager chooses to make them play in such a way their obvious talents are not being utilised in the slightest.

Cabaye admitted to being depressed this year and I can fully understand why looking at pardew’s tactics but the main injury that kept Cabaye out of the team last year was the crick in his neck watching the ball fly over his head every two minutes.

• ToonDarnSarf

Jun 5, 2013 at 3:37 PM

Hebburn Mag

You do realise that we tried to introduce the young players at the beginning of last season and they weren’t good enough?

• sparky55

Jun 5, 2013 at 3:39 PM

Mister tuff…careful mate….me ribs are hurting enough as they are…I don’t think I can cope with much more

• Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand

Jun 5, 2013 at 3:40 PM

sparky…You’re not really putting Cabayes depression down to Pardews tactics, are you? 🙂

• sparky55

Jun 5, 2013 at 3:42 PM

“TDS” I want us to get there by clever signings, outstanding youth players and astute management.”

Me too…but do you honestly think the management of this club is capable of such a thing…the Astute management’ is the thing that worries me the most

• WWYCD

Jun 5, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Oh no two of our what’s their name reserves could leave?!

They were lucky to miss the reserve cull last season now we should care if they move on? Good luck to them but I won’t be heart broken if they leave for Celtic…or whoever else in Scotland fancies them

• sparky55

Jun 5, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Ibiza…wouldn’t even suggest such a thing!

• sparky55

Jun 5, 2013 at 3:47 PM

…but it certainly depressed me!