Mehdi Abeid Told He Can Leave Newcastle

It’s always very difficult to judge just how good a young player really is – or more accurately – whether he will make it at Newcastle and come through and play for the first team.

mehdi abeid 0099

Mehdi Abeid – can leave Newcastle

When Mehdi arrived from Lens as a free agent two years ago, when he was just 18, he was very well thought of in France, and had played for all the French youth sides through U19 level.

And he got a great start to his Newcastle career when he immediately impressed in training, and forced his way into the squad to tour America, and James Perch didn’t even make the squad.

And this is what Mehdi has said after singing on at Newcastle:

“After eight fantastic years at Lens, I have stagnated. I needed a change of air. I am not afraid to leave for abroad, I have had contact with Newcastle dating back some time and I visited the facilities there last week. I even trained with the reserve team.”

“The leaders of the club told me about their plans and that they will rely on me for next season. For my part, I intend to give everything to develop in the Premier League. I already discussed things with Cheik Tiote and they encouraged me and welcomed my signature”.

But since that time it seems Mehdi has found it increasingly difficult at Newcastle, and he has played only 5 times for the Newcastle first team, and according to the Evening Chronicle today – he has been told he can leave the club this summer, although he still has three years left on his five year contract.

Mehdi has just finished a loan spell at St. Johnstone, where he impressed in playing 13 games for the Scottish Premier League side.

The St. Johnstone manager Steve Lomas is expected to leave this summer, but he could still end up signing a contract up in Scotland with St. Johnstone.

We had high hopes of the French youngster – who has also represented the Algerian U23 side –  but it’s not going to happen for him – at least not at Newcastle.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• WWYCD

Jun 7, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Who will replace Cabaye now?

• archaeomag

Jun 7, 2013 at 10:16 AM

I blame John Carver – because it’s his turn on Friday, comme,

• Markaccus

Jun 7, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Meh. Not the end of the world.

• dbpjake

Jun 7, 2013 at 10:21 AM

Oh no where is kets!

• lucasnufc

Jun 7, 2013 at 10:21 AM

This is what happens when you keep trying to pad out the squad with players who are free. They’re free for a reason.

• TorqToon

Jun 7, 2013 at 10:21 AM

Was never going to fulfil the hype some people piled on him.

Not a massive loss, some players just won’t cut it.

• jimmysmith

Jun 7, 2013 at 10:23 AM

I`m actually very disheartened by this and cant help wondering if it doesn`t reflect as poorly on the club as the player.

Looked the real deal to me. Heavy shirt, I guess.

• WWYCD

Jun 7, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Torq
    How dare you! Abied is the best player we have damnit! For shame….haha yeah hes bang on average and apparently with a attitude not fussed about him leaving at all

So who are we signing then? I want concrete answers so I can enjoy my summer without worrying about next season 😉

• sparky55

Jun 7, 2013 at 10:26 AM

sh!t…if he’s going that means Cabaye’s going too!

• dbpjake

Jun 7, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Tbf he never looked like he could make. I would like to see Amalfitano get more game time, I think he’s the more promising one

• JAMSHA

Jun 7, 2013 at 10:29 AM

i feel sory for this lad… he has wasted his time at newcastle…. blame pardew n the coaching staff … i hope he proves rong an end up at a big club

• Ketsbaia9

Jun 7, 2013 at 10:31 AM

So we’re getting rid of one of our better players who’s miles better than Dan Gosling.

Abeid has impressed at St Johnstone and got them into the Europa league. He has a bright future ahead of him and will come back to haunt us.

• numba9

Jun 7, 2013 at 10:33 AM

There is worse so called first teamers that should be released before giving these lads a proper chance . 5 games is nothing to judge on. He should be given another year

• jimmysmith

Jun 7, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Probably not if he’s playing in Scotland and Europe, Kets

• TorqToon

Jun 7, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Jamsha – he had an opportunity plenty of lads would kill for, and something got in his way. And not necessarily his football.

I wouldn’t mind “wasting my time” with a ckub whilst earning very good money!

Yo – you want me to stick my neck on the block and wait for somebody to take it off. We will be fine this window mate. Trust me. 🙂

• ToonDarnSarf

Jun 7, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Don’t blame it on Pardew
    Don’t blame it on the coaching
    Don’t blame it on the physios
    Blame it on the boogie

• Sazzer

Jun 7, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Wayne Bridge set to sign for Reading, and not us…

• Ben3arfa

Jun 7, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Remeber James Troisi ?

I have a feeling Abeid will end up just like him .

Rubbish academy we got !!!

• Hatem's better than Messi

Jun 7, 2013 at 10:37 AM

A real shame.
    He should have been on loan from day one.

We’re not very good at developing young talent.
    In fact I’m so depressed about every aspect of NUFC.
    The club is rotten from top to bottom.

Lousy people in every position.

• geordiesteve520

Jun 7, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Can anyone think of a youngster who, after being realeased by Newcastle has gone on to be a success elsewhere (Carrick and Shearer were missed not released)?

• WWYCD

Jun 7, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Kets
    Hmm I really doubt he will

Torq
    Now would I try and get u to stick ur neck on the block? Maybe haha

• archaeomag

Jun 7, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Wayne Bridge has signed for Reading !!!
    How the mighty have fallen . . .

• ToonDarnSarf

Jun 7, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Why would we want Wayne Bridge? He’s a Championship player now and I’d rather see one of our youngsters as back-up to Santon.

• ToonDarnSarf

Jun 7, 2013 at 10:45 AM

geordiesteve520 – the only ones I can think of are Troisi who now plays in Serie A and Orr who we were linked to resign when he was at Bristol City and I think he went to Reading instead.

Neither of them are world class though.

• Abu Qatada - I'm hooked on the football philosophies of Alan Pardew

Jun 7, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Well the more you look at it there appears to be plenty blame to share around every one involved in the NUFC first team, last season didn’t start well pre season was about as well organised as one of Alan Pardews post game interviews. The lack of players through the entrance was a downer for everyone: players, fans and manage r- obviously not Lambias as he is clueless, the extra games and the injuries added to fatigue and players just didn’t really perform at all, all season. Pardew’s substitutions were woeful and his repetitive selection of players under performing, that hurt the fringe players so I don’t think they had the impact needed when they did get the last 5 mins of a game. Pardew was in all accounts in his first real season managing in Europe and was out of his depth trying to manage two competitions – IMO (and hindsight is wonderful) he would have been better targeting a domestic cup and using Europe as a pleasant distraction for players and fans, nothing more. But we survived and that in its self is a positive. Every one on this blog accepts our stock isn’t quite what it was last Summer but still expects us to be able to make the same signings! I think a touch of optimistic realism would be useful and also don’t forget a lot of players are still with national teams, we are never quick out of the block on transfers MA likes value for money and he’s been successful in that. Wait be patient enjoy the sunshine reflect on the fact we played awful but survived, look at QPR, Reading and Wigan we’ve been there and it could have been worse playing better football.

• dbpjake

Jun 7, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Bridge was always massively overrated. Good championship player on his day. What a joke he cost Chelsea and City so much.

• Ketsbaia9

Jun 7, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Technically he’s very good. The lad has everything and we’re getting rid of him. This club’s a joke.

• dutchgeordie

Jun 7, 2013 at 11:22 AM

geordiesteve520 – what about Louis Saha. Was on loan with option to buy but deamed not good enough and released by Ruud Gullit and then went on to have a half decent career

• scout

Jun 7, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Saw him play against Brighton and it was a terrible performance, almost like he tried to hard. He’s never gonna get a game, might as well get rid.
    We need players in now, get your finger out

• scout

Jun 7, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Ben Jackson released went on to play for Doncaster, good player but got a bad injury

• Constanstine

Jun 7, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Five games and you judge that’s he’s not good enough? Just like Vuckic, S.Ferguson, Campbell, Gosling, he is just wasting his talent and time here at Newcastle. For the record, Shol and Carroll are the only two players that broke through our youth for the past 10 years. The record already speaks for itself.

• The next Mike Williamson

Jun 9, 2013 at 9:36 AM

no young player will ever break through at newcastle no matter how talented they are the managers will always think its safer to play experienced awful players like shola, perch, ryan taylor. haidara has played brilliant this season but he’s always the first off the pitch