The Clash Of The Young Titans At Newcastle

Italian International Davide Santon had a good season that’s just ended, and the 22 year-old certainly improved and is a better player now, than when Newcastle signed him from Inter-Milan almost two years ago for a round £5M.

davide santon close up

David Santon – has improved in two years at Newcastle

And Davide also seems to have made a good recovery from the hamstring injury which ended his season early, and his instructions this summer are to rest up, and allow the hamstring to fully heal before pre-season begins on 4th July.

Last season he played 38 times for the Magpies with one great goal against Wigan, and in total he has now appeared 65 times for Newcastle.

Davide has made the left back spot his own, but he will be challenged next season by 20 year-old Massadio Haidara, the French U21 International who was signed for £2M from Nancy in January, and the Frenchman has said he has come to Newcastle to play and not just watch.

This is what Massadio said yesterday in the local papers:

“I’m happy with the contributions I have made because I came here to play, not watch.” “In France I had already played in the first team with Nancy.” “When I came here I knew I wouldn’t be in the starting line-up quite as much.

“I’m definitely happy to have some game time under my belt. I just want to help the team.” “I hope that next season I’ll still be able to make the same contributions too.” “I feel better and better as time goes on,”“As time goes on I feel more settled in.”

“The first two or three weeks were difficult as it was the first time that I left the club who trained me up from being very young.” “I had my little habits there, but I had to change everything. I had to start everything again from scratch.”

“Day by day, I am feeling happy both on and off the field.” “I understand the language better and I am speaking a lot better.” “I feel happy and settled, and hopefully it continues in the new season.”

Massadio is having a holiday in America so he can brush up on his (or should that be learn) English, and it’s strange that he also picked up a hamstring injury at the end of the season, which ruled him out for the last two games.

But he will go all out to challenge for that first team left-back slot next season – and he’s certainly looked a very good player already, and he will only improve with more time on Tyneside.

Massadio Haidara   -1740187

Massadio Haidara – already looks an accomplished player

It’s always good to have competition at Newcastle and we’ll see 20 year-old Massadio and 22 year-old Davide fighting it out for that left back spot.

And come to think of it 24 year-old Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa looked excellent in the last few games of the season playing at left back – so he’ll be challenging there also.

And since both Davide and Mapou can play equally well on the right hand side – that will be a challenge to Mathieu Debuchy to play well – if he wants to keep the right-back spot his own next season.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

============================================

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 8, 2013 at 2:16 PM

having his lips sewn together with cat gut and taken round the foodstalls in Eldon square is too good for Ashley .

• expatmag

Jun 8, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Mister Tuff

The only bloke I knmow who could describe himself like that was LS and played right back for the school team.

Enlighten me

• sparky55

Jun 8, 2013 at 2:16 PM

GOOD…Santon can now play where he belongs…either left or right wing

• Moe

Jun 8, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Idea of competition is good, but I say we push Santon forward to LM or even RM.

Sadio is #1 for me in LB. he’s good at defending, decent at attack and hard worker. Let’s not forget he’s Left Footed so its a perfect match.

MYM is a beast at defending, more than decent going forward but can’t help but feel how awkward for him going forward since he’s right footed.

• sparky55

Jun 8, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Nice start to the string jail…love it 🙂

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Jun 8, 2013 at 2:19 PM

I don’t think Haidara will start next season as our No 1 LB, I think Santon will be preferred there to start with but over the course of the season, injuries permitting of course, I do think we will see him make LB his own.

• expatmag

Jun 8, 2013 at 2:20 PM

It os good to have defensive options at last and with some good youngsters hopefully coming through like Streete, Dummett, Good, Mbau, the future at the back could be bright

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Jun 8, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Expat

I’d be very surprised is Dummett features at all in our first team, and while I’d love to see see Streete break into the first team I am still unsure, in fact I’m unsure about the club’s ability to nurture young talent to fruition, we seem to be poor at doing that.

• sparky55

Jun 8, 2013 at 2:23 PM

MYM will be needed as a centre half now that colo has packed his bags. Hiadara will be fine at LB, Debuchy at right back, santon right wing, marv left wing, Sissoko and Anita in the middle with gouffy in the hole and Cisse up front.

All on the basis we don’t buy anyone and Colo, Tiote, Hatem and Cabaye go…if they don’t then we’re better off but that’s hardly being realistic is it???

• dbpjake

Jun 8, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Have said it already today but I think haidara will be the better LB, I don’t see santon being here much longer anyway

• Mister Tuff

Jun 8, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Expatmag – no that’s not me. Can you not recall turning out a couple of times on a Sunday morning for the casino in Newcastle -the Tiberius.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Jun 8, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Sparky

Let’s hope Dick and Tubbs don’t be reading these comments, because they may be tempted to tell AP to play Marv at LW and that we don’t need any wingers.

I think I’d rather we sign 2 wingers and no ST than a new ST and no wingers. We desperately need wingers, Santon is a defender and Marv just isn’t a winger.

• expatmag

Jun 8, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Mister Tuff

geez, you are asking me to remember back over 35 years ago. I cant remember what I did last week mate………….LOL

Howay man, own up

• dbpjake

Jun 8, 2013 at 2:29 PM

I agree we need wingers, worst comes to worst we still have shola and with decent service even he can score a tap in

• expatmag

Jun 8, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Ruddy

Yes, I do believe a total re-assessment of the academy is in order and whilst it is handy to have the likes of Beardsley and Donachie around, it is not often fruitful to have ex pros running youth academies but rather coaches and coordinators skilled in working with kids and having had a good amount of experience in studying the likes of the Ajax and Barcelona set ups,

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Jun 8, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Expat

Having world class academies like Ajax and Barcelona should be the long term goal, but right now I would settle for having an academy that is as professionally run and productive as Crewe. They do some sterling work.

• Mister Tuff

Jun 8, 2013 at 2:34 PM

expatmag -I seem to recall when you played -you had memory problems then -forgetting what position you were supposed to be playing. So there’s no change there then.

• geordie157

Jun 8, 2013 at 2:35 PM

we’ve got options in the full back roles, with Debuchy and Haidara possibly my first choices, with Santon tried on the right or left winger instead of Jonas.

If Debuchy gets off to a poor start next season then Santon and Haidara give us two exciting full backs.

Mr T will need to be back to his best and Pardew will have to just let him sit in front of the defence and not try to turn him into a Yaya Toure type of player.

• Tsunki

Jun 8, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Haidara for me has overtaken Santon in the capability stakes. I think moving Santon on now while he is worth cash might not be a completely bad thing, though I hope he stays and uses the competition for his place to improve.

However I don’t agree at all with him being pushed up the wing. He might have pace but it only makes him an overlapping defender at best, which is a million miles away from a decent crosser and beater of defenders. He has a very long trek ahead to be in the Baines mould imo.

• dbpjake

Jun 8, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Come on an academy like Crewe’s is a bit easier in that league

• expatmag

Jun 8, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Mister Tuff

Versatility was my greatest asset……lol

EH?

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Jun 8, 2013 at 2:38 PM

It’s pretty obvious that we have some glaring deficiencies in the first team at the moment, and the fact that some are suggesting Santon as a realistic option as a winger shows how desperately we need wingers.

If we had, for example, Scott Sinclair and Dries Mertens in our first team, how many people would genuinely consider putting Santon on the wing?

• Tsunki

Jun 8, 2013 at 2:39 PM

It does puzzle me though why Santon has not been used on the right more if he is supposed to be ok there – how useful would the kid be if he could be switched at will? However, Simpson and even Anita have been stuffed in there when Debuchy wasn’t available so I dunno what the coaching staff know that we cant see..

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Jun 8, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Dpbjake

They’ve developed the likes of Dean Ashton, Danny Murphy, Robbie Savage before he signed for United, and more recently had sold Nick Powell to Man United.

It’s nothing to do with the league they are in, but with the players they are producing, they could be in Bet Square North, but if they are producing players good enough to be signed by PL teams that means their academies are doing a good job…

• expatmag

Jun 8, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Ruddy

Yes, they seem to have a conveyor belt of kids coming out of that club.

There is a lot of talent in the lower leagues but high transfer fees put PL clubs off.

Look at the likes of Ince, Zaha, and the lad from Derby we were recently linked with. The prices quoted are ridiculously astronomical,

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Jun 8, 2013 at 2:43 PM

Expatmag

Instead of poaching these players from other clubs we should be developing our own.

Why should Derby not demand a high transfer fee for Will Hughes? After all it was they who developed him, should they not be compensated for that? The same goes for Zaha (albeit 15m is too much)

If we developed players who attracted the attention of Man United then surely they’d be good enough for our first team squad.

• dbpjake

Jun 8, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Ruddy

I agree they have produced some good players, and I love what they are doing. But they still play in League One. The players therefore have more chances at first team football when they are younger, they are not playing on the big stage and don’t have half as much pressure on them.

It would be very hard to play so many up and coming youngsters in the premier league

• tequilamag

Jun 8, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Ruddy, I think it was the other way round. Savage was in the same youth team as Becks then signed for Crewe.

• Mister Tuff

Jun 8, 2013 at 2:44 PM

expatmag -I will stop my teasing, although I regret not getting further “sport” from this encounter.
    First rule is not to reveal anything personal on the blog -so as not to attract interest from the stalkers and the multiples who make an appearance every now and again.Your clues.
    My old man held exactly the same “position” as your old man, not the same employer, but an identical employer “north o the river”. I am the youngest.

• Tsunki

Jun 8, 2013 at 2:46 PM

Look at the academies of some so-called lesser teams! Our lads struggle against the likes of Forest and Boro. Our Academy ‘system’ or whatever you want to call it is a joke really, especially when you consider what the club stated a couple of years ago abut our ‘ambition’ to produce home-grown talent. It just hasn’t taken root at all. The parade of fringe players who oversaw the slide to the bottom last season testify that we have virtually no talent battling to come through, save Campbell and possibly Vuckic. And the latter does not inspire at all.

• expatmag

Jun 8, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Hello PH

How thehell are you. Is your older brother living in NI now?

• toonking

Jun 8, 2013 at 2:49 PM

ruddy why the hell are you moaning about such negative play and dislike shola so much if you would rather we signed 2 wingers and no forwards.
    football is about scoring goals and to do that you need strikers winger are who create them. if you play 4-2-3-1 formation it’s no wonder you get hoofball 6 of them 10 will be defensive players again a forward will be stuck on his own
    the formation for next season should return to 4-4-2 and before you class that as hoofball it is not all it does is enables the players to know their positions easily and it can be easily changed if needed to maybe 4-1-3-2 or 4-3-3.
    in reality it is up to the players how they move about on the pitch only on fifa games can the manager determine how a player moves about.

I could still win a game with this as my team on fifa games
    krul
    HBA colo perch simmo
    cabaye tiote
    anita saylor ameobi
    gosling

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 8, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Thinking on it we need to bring in a replacement for Simmo to keep Debuchy on his toes if Santon has lost his place to Haidara it means he’s hardly playing well enough to keep Debuchy out of the team and that has been a major problem for sometime now,no matter how badly a player performs he’s been keeping his place due to a lack of depth.

• expatmag

Jun 8, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Ruddy

Yes, I understand and agree and to a certain extent, we have had some success in recent years with Krul, Carroll, Ameobi, Forster etc coming through the ranks and I have high hopes for a few others but Pardew needs to get them out at quality teams before calling on them.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Jun 8, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Toonking

You negated your own point. If we had 2 decent wingers in a 4-2-3-1 with Cisse up front he would get better service ergo more goals boo yah.

Tequila

You’re right, they developed him as a first team player.

Dpbjake

The loan system is designed for just that purpose, the players we are developing are being loaned out these “lower leagues” and aren’t even setting the world alight down there. It is nothing to do with the league you are currently based in, it is down to the players you produce.

• Mister Tuff

Jun 8, 2013 at 2:54 PM

expatmag – you are nearly there but got it the wrong way around. My older brother is in NI.
    Are you now retired – well you’ve probably been retired for about 20 years now. I should have said are you still employed.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Jun 8, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Expat

I wouldn’t count Forster as a success, as he was miles from the NUFC first team, he arguably developed as a player when he signed for Celtic. Krul and Carroll are our only recent evidence of having developed top talent in the PL, Shola was always a decent player at best, not exactly a great record.

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 8, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Mistertuff,
    How did you know you knew this guy ?

• Tsunki

Jun 8, 2013 at 2:59 PM

I have seen posts berating Cisse’s ability, touch, tendency to be offside, Gouffrans lack of quality, Shola’s poor goal return….. yet nobody seems willing to temper this against our absolutely dire service going forward. Yes, we all know we have the worst attacking mid, no wide delivery to speak of and not one living soul who can deliver a decent set piece more than once a season. But we don’t seem to want to excuse our forwards who are getting nowhere with all this rubbish play.

Someone mentioned Gomez who admittedly I havent seen a lot of but thats probably because he wastes more opportunities than anyone else I know and if you put him in our side he would be a poor second choice to Shola. If we could address the glaring problems in our attacking mid and wide play we wouldn’t need to worry so much about signing 2 or 3 strikers (which lets face it wont happen).

• expatmag

Jun 8, 2013 at 2:59 PM

yes mate, retired last november after 33 years with the government over here, the last 22 with an organisation similar to oiur fathers employers.

I took a package and my super. Had little on the mortgage to pay off and with the missus earning 100K a year as a teacher, we are sitting pretty and I am the house husband now. We have a gorgeous 8 year old daughter who is a real little drama queen, just like Roma.

had an op this week to remove 6 skin cancers from my face and ended up with about 60 stitches. Looks like I have gone 15 rounds with Mike Tyson…..lol

How are you guys going?