Australian Curtis Good Now Better At Newcastle After One Year

It’s always difficult for new players when they arrive at Newcastle, and 20-year-old Australian Curtis Good struggled initially when he arrived on Tyneside in late July last year, after he was signed from Melbourne Heat for a bargain £400K fee.

curtis good gateshead

Curtis Good – played well on loan at Bradford

And Curtis will represent Australia in the U20 FIFA World Cup in Turkey which starts later this month, and Gael Bigirimana will also be participating in that tournament for England.

Curtis has been interviewed today in the Evening Chronicle and he has big ambitions at the club:

“The biggest thing is to start well in pre-season with Newcastle and move a bit closer to the start of it all.” “Last year I came a month into it.” “I was in at the end of July so I felt I was behind after that.”

“So this year I am looking forward to coming back refreshed after spending some time at home.” “It is reassuring to get a few compliments from the manager. You just have to keep on doing that and progressing well.”

“If the opportunity comes then I will be ready for it – hopefully as a center-back.” “Going out on loan as a center-back is difficult because you are normally only needed as an emergency.” “

“But playing for Bradford was a great experience for me – especially the Capital One Cup final.” “I wanted experience of first-team football and that’s what I got. It will really help me for next season. That’s what it is all about.” “You just want to be involved as much as you can.”

“If you want to progress at Newcastle you are going to need that.” “I have my first season under my belt now. I am used to it.” “The first few months were hard but now I know about the city and people from here so it makes it easier for me.”

And Alan Pardew showed his comedic tendencies after Curtis arrived back from Bradford City a few months ago, when he said Good’s nickname had been changed to “Curtis Better” after he had played so well for Bradford out on loan.

The days when top young players would simply idle their time playing in the Reserves (the U21 side) are hopefully over at Newcastle, and the lads need to play first team football at other clubs, to develop their skills and gain valuable experience.

And there’s a likelihood that Curtis will be loaned out again in September, and that will allow him to get some playing time, and as Curtis says himself, he needs that if he is going to make a break-through at the Tyneside club.

But he will also be given time to develop on Tyneside.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• Tommyy

Jun 10, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Can anyone update me on this technical advisor talk? Would be appreciated!

Jun 10, 2013 at 12:16 PM

OK on a serious note, I live in Melbourne and heavily involved in football here and know Curtis reasonably well having watched him in his debut season,

By the way, it is Melbourne Heart, Ed, not Heat.

Curtis has the potential to be a very good player and a leader of men. He is captain of the current under 20s team and some here feel he could be a future national team captain of the full side,

I see him as the [erfect replacement for Lucas Neill in the national team,

He is excellent in the air and a very good left foot and hisd positional awareness was improving before he left for Newcastle.

In my opinion, he is ready to be loaned out to a newly promoted PL team such as Hull or Palace to take his progression further.

I dont think he will need to go lower as he has excellent ability and will benefity greatly from playing at a highrer level.

It wont take long for this kid to prove his worth.

• santonthenewmaldini

Jun 10, 2013 at 12:32 PM

I really liked the look of Curtis in the cup games that I watched him

Could do with maybe one more loan out to a Championship team for a full season and then next year could certainly stake a claim for a 1st team position possibly taking Willo’s place in the squad

• Rotonda heights

Jun 10, 2013 at 12:39 PM

expat

I was tempted to launch in to you still haven’t found what you’re looking for

• Rotonda heights

Jun 10, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Ed

Pardew often shows his comedic side. Sadly usually when he’s coaching!!

Jun 10, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Rotounda

Very goood mate. I have run out of numbers now….lol

• Rotonda heights

Jun 10, 2013 at 12:43 PM

tommy

something that torq alluded to but he hasn’t added any more to the story. Hope it’s true. A technical advisor is more important than signings almost with Pardew in charge

• Markaccus

Jun 10, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Good… it appears i missed more u2 puns

Jun 10, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Possibly the worst possible thing that happened to the club last year was Pardew winning the two manager of the year awards.

It has given him an air of invincibility. Hopefully, he has been brought back down to earth now

Jun 10, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Mark

Dont worry mate. We are about to move on to Dire Straits…………………lol

• Rotonda heights

Jun 10, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Expat

No worries I’m a big fan seen them a few times now

Jun 10, 2013 at 12:52 PM

ROTONDA

Yes, me too. Saw them live agt the Hyers Music Bowl on Melbourne over 20 years ago. Great act

• Rooster

Jun 10, 2013 at 12:54 PM

A Technical Coaching advisor would for me be the best signing in this window, and I believe we have already sewn up to long term targets to be brought in early July, siem de jong could well be on this list, a top player technically who can make and score goals at the top level, but such is my desire to get top class coaching help in to work with Pardew Stone and Carver that this technical Advisor would be top of my list without doubt, I cant see Pardew changing his chosen playing style for us without it.

• Markaccus

Jun 10, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Expat…

Thats ok i always wanted to be a local hero.

Jun 10, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Mark

Do you agree HBA is our SULTAN ON THE WING

• Markaccus

Jun 10, 2013 at 1:00 PM

Expat.

Well he prefers the middle, but he has to be adept at all WALKS OF LIFE.

• Sazzer

Jun 10, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Torq nothing new at moment.

Jun 10, 2013 at 1:03 PM

MARK

Bloody hell, mate, you TELEGRAPH roaded that one

• Barras

Jun 10, 2013 at 1:04 PM

@Rooster

I agree with you. Although, I am not certain on whether we have made agreements with our targets already.

I also think one of our two purple signings will be Siem de Jong. As for the centre back, it is very difficult. I am hoping for Sakho.

In addition to the two purple signings, I think we will sign 1-2 signings who will compete with our purples for a place in the starting line-up.

As you said, a Technical Coaching Advisor would be our greatest signing if he can convince our coaching team to transform their hoofball ideals into pass-and-move play; play that predominantly remains on the floor.

• Sazzer

Jun 10, 2013 at 1:08 PM

Balde to Celtic. Can be done soon.

Jun 10, 2013 at 1:09 PM

BARRAS

The games against Sunderland and Liverpool was like watching sunday park football because the basic techniqyes of the game were drastically missing,

I saw little evidence of movement off the ball, anticipation, pressure, possession based football and any forms that could and should have been practicied daily in grids.

I cannot believe men of the experience of Pardew and Carver allowed theteam to play with such a lack of basic skills.

• Spoof

Jun 10, 2013 at 1:10 PM

Going along with the music theme, lets hope were not “so far away” when it comes to success, but “why worry” about it, worrying never helps

• Spoof

Jun 10, 2013 at 1:13 PM

There’s been a lot in the press about Cabaye to Man U, does anyone know if there is any truth in it, or is it just paper talk

Jun 10, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Very good Spoof, Glad to see you join in with a bit of levity.

As for me, npw that I am retired and on a pension, I get my money for nothing but missing out on the chicks for free.

• Markaccus

Jun 10, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Sorry about that expat

Instead i will say the famous rock and roll singer mr presley was a tw@. Thats right, i’m CALLING ELVIS.

Jun 10, 2013 at 1:16 PM

Probably just paper talk but if not, it will cost MU a hell of a lot of mpney to sign him and I dont see it happening to be honest

• Transfer Sage

Jun 10, 2013 at 1:17 PM

I think the France defeat to brazil shows once again that French players aren’t that good…and we aren’t even going after the top French players either.

England have beaten and drawn with brazil recently, France got stuffed.

So much for our English boys not being as good…technique is important but there’s more to football.

Jun 10, 2013 at 1:18 PM

MARK

Well, I hate to lopwer the tone of the forum but it is getting late, the wife has gone to bed and I am following, in search of the TUNNELL OF LOVE

• Sazzer

Jun 10, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Southampton have had bid accepted on Dejan Lovren reports claim.

• Spoof

Jun 10, 2013 at 1:19 PM

expat
    have I to assume that’s “your latest trick”

Jun 10, 2013 at 1:20 PM

TRANSFER

Dont be fooled by Englands performance. They were lucky not to be 4-0 down at half time.

Furthermore, these were friendlies. It would be a lot different if the games were competotive

• Spoof

Jun 10, 2013 at 1:23 PM

expat
    I hope your right, but as the saying goes, there’s never smoke without fire, so I wouldn’t be to sure

Sazzer
    who is Dejan Lovren, I’ve never heard of him, is he any good, and from Ashley’s point of view, how much is he

• Markaccus

Jun 10, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Expat.
    So you fancy yourself as a bitnof a ROMEO? Who is your JULIET ( that one is tenuous i know)

• Transfer Sage

Jun 10, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Expat

England could have been but weren’t. Also comfortably beat brazil at home.

And in recent major tournaments and qualifying England have outperformed France.

I stand by my opinion that the French players are not that good, decent technicians but vastly overrated.

If we continue to only cast our bet there we will never progress.

• Spoof

Jun 10, 2013 at 1:27 PM

TS
    there are some good French players, are they over rated, possibly they are, but I thought we were going after French players because they were cheaper than an English player with similar ability.

• Barras

Jun 10, 2013 at 1:28 PM

@Expatmag

I was not seated in the Stadium, but I did witness it. The horror, the horror.

• Transfer Sage

Jun 10, 2013 at 1:30 PM

Spoof

I agree that’s why we go after them as they are cheap and value for money.

Mainly just complaining that we need to look elsewhere and e willing to spend a bit more if we really want to challenge for the top 4 (I don’t think that’s the clubs target personally).

Bargains are fine, but we need a really good goal scorer and that either costs money or you take a gamble on a kid who might make it in a few years…we need one now though.

I’m happy for midtable if the club admit it…but don’t want them banging on about top 4 if they aren’t going to invest properly

Jun 10, 2013 at 1:32 PM

I dont really want to get into a debate on who is better, France or England because one is no better than the other currently.

However, if you took the equivalent of the following french national team players from the england side and compare monetary transfer values ( Cabaye, Ben Arfa, Sissoko, Mbiwa and Debuchy), I believe there would be a huge difference and that is why Newcastle are looking to France rather than within England for players.

English players cost too much and are hardly worth it,

In the end, thats what it comes down too,,,,,money

• Spoof

Jun 10, 2013 at 1:37 PM

TS
    it will always be bargain basement with him as our owner, but I agree that we should look at more than just the French market, as far as the English market goes, forget it, never in a million years would he spend the cash, based on the talent coming out of Belgium we could do worse than looking over their, in years gone by their has often been a trend where a certain country has a wealth of talent coming through at the same time, France did for a while, Croatia did, even Scotland in the 70’s, it now looks as if it could be the turn of Belgium

Jun 10, 2013 at 1:37 PM

TS

If we go by the strategy of Ashley by buying cheap and selling at a huge profit, we will never become anything morte than a feeder club for ambitious players who use us as a stepping stone.

So, top 4 asperations are irrelevent according to his plan.

Mind you, the only real evidence of this strategy is Andy Carroll and that was an offer too good to turn down.