Reports Newcastle Have Agreement To Sign Brazilian Defender

Alan Pardew had again talked late in the season about having a big 6’4″ center-back playing for Newcastle, and there were a couple we knew of – one was Christopher Samba of QPR and the other was Douglas of FC Twente, a Brazilian who Newcastle were interested in last summer.

Douglas _1522285a

Douglas – Newcastle have tabled the best offer?

Samba cost QPR a whopping £12M from Russian club Anzhi in January, so there was no way Mike Ashley was going to pay anywhere near that for a 29 year-old – we’ll let clubs like QPR overpay for their players.

Douglas is now a free agent, after seeing out the last year of his contract at FC Twente, but there are a number if big clubs after him and Newcastle seemed to have cooled their interest in him after they went after him last summer, although he has indicated his desire to play in England.

And there are reports in Italy that even claim the player has now agreed a deal to join Newcastle, but that would be surprising if it were true, with clubs like Lazio, Anzhi Makhachkala and Russian side FK Krasnodar also in negotiations with the player’s agent.

We don’t think Newcastle can make big offers for players these days, but the Italian press is saying Newcastle’s offer to Douglas is better than those of the other clubs, and of course we do get an extra £25M (at least) next season for being in the Premier League, with the new three year TV deal starting – so maybe we can make better offers for players.

The Journal is reporting that Douglas is now at the top of the list of targets to pursue at Newcastle, and could be the first player signed this summer, and Alan Pardew and others are expected back this week from holiday.

So if Newcastle can get this man through the door, it will be great and will give us (Newcastle) some momentum, and will shake things up in central defense, and we’ve got to believe that Mike Williamson would then be put on the market and maybe Newcastle can get £3M for the 29 year-old?

One complication last summer was that the Brazilian player did not have a European passport, but that was solved last August when he became a Dutch citizen, and he was then called up to the Dutch National side, but has never played for Holland yet.

After going after this player last summer, it would be a surprise and a bit of a coup if Newcastle can get their man – and if you believe the Italian press – that’s what will happen.

25 year-old Douglas joined Twente in 2007 from Joinville, and has played around 245 times with 16 goals in the six seasons he’s played in the Eredivisie – and he doesn’t seem to get injured too much either.

We think this would be a good signing for Newcastle – certainly another bargain buy – what do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• 89Norcal

Jun 11, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Who is this Akan Pardew fellow?

Good news btw, now Percinho will have a friend 🙂

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jun 11, 2013 at 9:00 AM

Torq,
    Is the centre back Douglas? Colin may have got one right. Good to see Indykaila repeat what Colin said last night, they must use the same sauces.

To be honest, Douglas will be a step up on Willo, but he doesn’t look all that great to me on the odd occasions I’ve seen him. I think he is about on a par with a comedic performance from Taylor. Mind you, I haven’t seen much, so I could have just caught him on a bad day!

• Indian Magpie

Jun 11, 2013 at 9:01 AM

Titus Mak – 2

No Thank You

• 89Norcal

Jun 11, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Lilongwe
    Must be some really good sauce, any idea where I can get it? 🙂

• Sack Llambias

Jun 11, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Torq Toon
    Nobody realistically expects you to betray confidences. Quite happy for you to feed what you can. You’ve an excellent track record . Please don’t be dissuaded by some of the airheads on here.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jun 11, 2013 at 9:03 AM

AndyNUFC,
    He would be cherry picked from Belgium as the Premier league is a massive step up, would be affordable. But most importantly, Belgium have spent a lot of time hard work and cash on improving there development and coaching standards in the last few years. Hence the reason so many good young players have come out in the past 5 years. These new coaches/advisors have all been trained to the latest and highest standards.

• Markaccus

Jun 11, 2013 at 9:06 AM

Lilong… that saves me re posting what i said on the last thread aboit tje belgian coaches, cheers 😀

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jun 11, 2013 at 9:06 AM

Norcal,
    They always hide the labels inside brown paper bags so as not to reveal it! 🙂

Torq,
    None of this is aimed at you, just our twitter friends, Colin and Indy! You have pretty much been spot on with most of what you have said, but no-one’s place on the wall is safe forever! 😉

• tequilamag

Jun 11, 2013 at 9:06 AM

I was unsure about Douglas but now that Indian has slated him I feel he would be a good signing.

• Jail for Ashley

Jun 11, 2013 at 9:07 AM

last year I would have been excited by this news,the club is moving forward,Collo is staying and an upgrade on Willo,but experience has taught me not to read in to it,Douglas if he comes will be Collos replacement and Willo will be going to Cardiff because no way will a 2M CB be wasted on the bench.

• Indian Magpie

Jun 11, 2013 at 9:08 AM

Why keep one bad apple? Alan Pardew? undoing all good work.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jun 11, 2013 at 9:09 AM

Tequila,
    Lol. 🙂 To be fair, I am with Indian on this…..

Markaccus,
    Ha, no worries.

• 89Norcal

Jun 11, 2013 at 9:10 AM

lol Lilongwe, tequila 😆

• Rotonda heights

Jun 11, 2013 at 9:10 AM

sources

• AMEOBI

Jun 11, 2013 at 9:12 AM

Indian magpie,

Shut the fuxk up you moron

• WWYCD

Jun 11, 2013 at 9:12 AM

Seems a lot dont rate him too highly but Carr scouted him and wanted him brought in so he must have something about him

• tequilamag

Jun 11, 2013 at 9:12 AM

Lilongwe, maybe I should have reserved judgement till Kets posts his next list.

• TorqToon

Jun 11, 2013 at 9:13 AM

Repost
    Andy – I know that we have had meetings with clubs in Europe and the topic of conversation has been regarding assisting our current coaches to leave the antiquated style behind, in favour of a more modern approach. I have regular contact with coaching staff who have been directly involved with these meetings.

I stated that from what I’d heard we are looking at bringing somebody in from Belgium as they are widely regarded as the pioneers of modern footballing styles, they are some of the best coaches in Europe, have some excellent youth structure’s and are relatively cheap, which of course is on the forefront of NUFC and our dealings.

The talk of an advisor coming in has been around for such a long time, but since the tempo around this seems to have increased, I think we are stepping up and getting something sorted.

Maybe the club realise they have stifled some of our more creative players and want to rectify it in time for next season.

The reason why I dont believe it will be majority publicised is because it’s not seen as a huge deal across the board for football clubs. club’s across Europe have been doing this for years, we just lagged behind.

• TorqToon

Jun 11, 2013 at 9:13 AM

Lilo – I’m not sure mate. Id be surprised if it is as he wasn’t overly keen before and think from memory said he had “bigger clubs than NUFC” interested in him?!

But he is free….and that’s MA’s favourite price!

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jun 11, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Rotonda,
    No, IndyKaila and Colin are definitely on the sauces, I don’t think they have sources.

Tequila,
    The Kets wishlist, does it still contain Scharner?

WWYCD,
    Carr also scouted Amalfitano, and he has done zip since arriving.

• tequilamag

Jun 11, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Lilongwe, Kets wishlist is the kiss of death for any potential signings. If you make the list you will never pull on the the black and white shirt.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jun 11, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Torq,
    If you haven’t heard a name for the centre back, does that mean that it is more likely to be from outside of the countries you operate in?? If so, that rules out Holland, France, Germany and Belgium, is that right?

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jun 11, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Tequila,
    Don’t say that! I have just got Scharner printed on my new shirt!

• TorqToon

Jun 11, 2013 at 9:20 AM

Lilo – Not at all mate. I hear bits here and there, but things can still be done under the radar.

Plus im on holiday at the moment so not kicking around football clubs to see my colleagues on a daily basis.

• tequilamag

Jun 11, 2013 at 9:20 AM

Lilongwe, it will be a collectors item. Kets will buy if off you.

• TorqToon

Jun 11, 2013 at 9:25 AM

Plus I only regurgitated “guff” so it could be anybody who has been published lately?!

Tomkins anybody??? 🙂

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jun 11, 2013 at 9:25 AM

Torq,
    Fair enough. Will wait and see, would be nice to actually have something real to talk about, rather than speculation. Although God help the blog if it is a signing that lacks ambition and doesn’t improve us. Titus is still available isn’t he…..

• WWYCD

Jun 11, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Lilongwe
    True but Douglas isnt playing second division football hes a starter at Twente

• jeff

Jun 11, 2013 at 9:30 AM

absolutely disgusted with the racism shown towards indian magpie. at a multi-cultured club like newcastle i would expect better

• tequilamag

Jun 11, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Jeff, My criticism of Indian has absolutely nothing to do with his race. Please point out where I have made a single racist comment about him in the 3 years I have been posting on this blog.

• TorqToon

Jun 11, 2013 at 9:35 AM

Jeff….racism???? Where?!!

• NUFCarter

Jun 11, 2013 at 9:35 AM

Torqtoon
    What is it you do?

• Markaccus

Jun 11, 2013 at 9:37 AM

So now people cannot have a difference of opinion with somone of a different ethnicity without sime prize pillock playing the race card. This whole world is fkd up.

• NUFCarter

Jun 11, 2013 at 9:37 AM

He said that Indian. Meaning that Indian magpie. Like saying that NUFCarter. Not racist.

• TorqToon

Jun 11, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Carter – I work with professional football clubs in the medical field as an advisor.

• Black and White with an army lol

Jun 11, 2013 at 9:41 AM

6’3 striker we are after, 6’4 defender we are suppose to be getting, something not right here next i’m gonna hear a 6’2 midfielder & 6’1 winger are gonna be coming soon

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jun 11, 2013 at 9:42 AM

WWYCD,
    True. Just from the odd times I’ve seen him, he wasn’t exactly solid. Anyway, I haven’t seen much of him, so I may be doing him an injustice.

I see Benfica have signed 19 year old ‘wonderkid’ Lzar Markovic. Was being touted around Man U, Chelsea and Madrid for 17million a couple of years ago….

• tequilamag

Jun 11, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Jeff I also shortened Lilongwe Geordie to Lilongwe. You are reading way too much into that. For the record I was on the organising commitee of the Anti Nazi League in Durham when I was 5 and have been a staunch anti racist all my life. If you cared to check the blog you will see I have been vociferous in my condemnation of racists on this blog such as Alf in the past. Race has never been an issue with Indian magpie and myself as I am sure Indian would attest too. Now please wind your neck in.

• TorqToon

Jun 11, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Black and white – Yeah seems a bit of a fascination with height at our great club! Haha

• tequilamag

Jun 11, 2013 at 9:44 AM

That should have read 15 not 5. At 5 i was way too busy riding on my chopper bike to be bothered about politics.