The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

These Two Strikers Could Do A Job At Newcastle For Just £13M

11:24 pm, Wednesday, June 12th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 29 Comments

There seem to be an increasing number of football clubs with more money than sense and these include clubs like Monaco, PSG, Anzhi and a couple more Russian clubs, QPR and notice we didn’t even mention Manchester Coty.

darren bent

Darren Bent – not a bad buy at 5M?

The effect of this is to drive up transfer prices much like Chelsea did back in 2003 after Roman Abramovich bought the club and then bout a team in the next three months offering ridiculously high prices for the players they wanted – so they could get the deals done quickly.

So it could be that a number of Newcastle’s striker targets are way over-priced this summer and we may need to look at other targets.

When we saw the news that Newcastle could be after Darren Bent of Aston Villa, we were under-whelmed – but if we can get him for say £5M that may be decent deal and he’s a proven Premier League goalscorer – there’s not much doubt about that.

And the news that he is very keen to join Newcastle, maybe he wouldn’t be a bad signing after all.

Yes he did the dirty on Sunderland – that’s true – but that will not affect too many Newcastle fans, and we are just a little surprised that our poll show that two in three fans think he would be a decent buy at £5M.

Should Newcastle Pay Out £5M For Darren Bent?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

And Loic Remy is available for £8M, via a release clause in his contract at QPR- and while he did turn us down in January, we still think the majority of Newcastle fans would welcome him to Newcastle.

And he would be able to settle in very quickly – with our large French contingent – if he did come to Tyneside.

loic remy france 99

Loic Remy – a good striker

We’ll put his move to QPR in January down to poor judgement – which he probably has already realized.

So if Newcastle can get Bent and Remy though the door this summer for £13M , they would help Papiss Cisse significantly in the goal-scoring duties next season.

And if we can get FC Twente Douglas through the door this summer as a free agent, those three signings would address significant weaknesses in the Newcastle side this year.

And maybe we could have a good season coming up?

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

29 responses so far ↓

• 1 89Norcal // Jun 12, 2013 at 11:27 PM

Well done Ed you posted the Bent poll, interested to see the consensus.

• 2 Newcastle Brown Alien // Jun 12, 2013 at 11:28 PM

This looks revolting, hopefully cabaye and ben arfa don’t want to play in such a hideous kit

• 3 Newcastle Brown Alien // Jun 12, 2013 at 11:31 PM

I think if we get our annual 20M if we are only targeting a cb and striker, and douglas is our free target for cb, then go all out on a striker, like doumbia for 15M-20M

• 4 ToonDarnSarf // Jun 12, 2013 at 11:31 PM

Ruddy

That’s a fair point regarding the extra TV revenue. Unfortunately we’re also down £9M on TV revenue compared to last year though.

I’m still convinced that we won’t sign many players this summer unless players leave. A striker and a nippy attacking player I think.

• 5 Newcastle Brown Alien // Jun 12, 2013 at 11:33 PM

or lacina traore, if anzhi go for PEA

• 6 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jun 12, 2013 at 11:33 PM

DarnSarf

I’ll bang on about this until the end of the window, we need wingers, so 2 wingers and a striker and I will count that a great window.

• 7 Spoof // Jun 12, 2013 at 11:36 PM

So the foreign market is now too expensive, so we go for the cheaper Darren Bent, only to find that his wages are too high, so where does that leave us ?, with that I’ll go back to bed, good night, god bless, sweet dreams, and most importantly, don’t let the bed bugs bite !

• 8 sparky55 // Jun 12, 2013 at 11:36 PM

not enough room in the squad with Remy and Bent and cisse…I think if we bought the two ED is suggesting it’s because Cisse is going

and just for the record I think carroll is still coming and bent will come and Cisse will go and Remy won’t be considered because of what he did to us last time.

so instead of paying 13 million we pay 15 million and get carroll instead of remy

• 9 ToonDarnSarf // Jun 12, 2013 at 11:37 PM

Ruddy

Most clubs don’t play with 2 wingers though, it’s an old fashioned style.

If we did, then no way could we accommodate Cabaye, Tiote, HBA, Sissoko and Anita. I’d rather have another attacking player who can compete in HBA, Marv, Goofy positions.

• 10 Spoof // Jun 12, 2013 at 11:39 PM

Before I go
    NBA
    and what annual £20m are you on about son, wake up, it’s me who is supposed to in the land of nod !

• 11 sparky55 // Jun 12, 2013 at 11:39 PM

I can’t help but think everyone but me thinks we’ll be able to keep everyone we’ve got now and make additions…

…sorry lads…can’t see it myself

• 12 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jun 12, 2013 at 11:40 PM

DarnSarf

With 2 wingers you have the option of playing 4-2-3-1 the way it is meant to be played. We could play 4-5-1, we could play 4-3-3 and rotate said players.

You don’t just need a starting XI we need a quality squad.

Anyway, I’m off to bed chaps

• 13 sparky55 // Jun 12, 2013 at 11:41 PM

how about a quality manager…wouldn’t that be the most important thing

• 14 Newcastle Brown Alien // Jun 12, 2013 at 11:42 PM

spoof, I thought we always got £20M in transfer funds from MA, I could be wrong mind

• 15 ToonDarnSarf // Jun 12, 2013 at 11:42 PM

Ruddy

But then we’re saying the same thing. Ben Arfa, Marv and Goofy have fulfilled those roles. I think we need one more to do that and a striker personally.

• 16 woodsee // Jun 12, 2013 at 11:44 PM

Hate to say it about the club I love dearly,but we seem to be muddlin along at the moment,not noing where we are headin.
    A billionaire who aint willing to spend enough to get us back were we belong,an inept manager with largely clueless tactics,and an underlying current of rightly disgruntled fans

• 17 ToonDarnSarf // Jun 12, 2013 at 11:45 PM

NBA

When Ashley bought the club he said he would’ve willing to invest £20M a year into the club. This wasn’t clear whether this was a gift or a loan though.

And this was before loaned us around £140M to pay off debt and keep us going in the Championship.

• 18 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jun 12, 2013 at 11:45 PM

DarnSarf

Last thing before I go, the reason I say we need wingers is because HBA, Goofy and Marv aren’t the proper wingers we need to play the football we should be playing.

• 19 sparky55 // Jun 12, 2013 at 11:45 PM

woodsee…good summary!

• 20 ToonDarnSarf // Jun 12, 2013 at 11:49 PM

Ruddy

Then we’ll have to agree to disagree. I think they’re exactly the sort of players I want to see at the club. Tricky, pacey and skilful. Cabs and Sissoko to pick the passes to HBA and one other. Great. We don’t have big tall headers in the box, so high crosses from the byline aren’t so helpful.

Anyway, night fella.

• 21 wynsleap // Jun 12, 2013 at 11:51 PM

If Remy wins his rape case – yes take him – he’d be a good asset. Fast, knows where the goal is and has a lot more to come from him in this country.
    Bent? No thanks. I still remember the totally anonymous contributions he made in the derbies against Sunderland.
    And that was against our defence.
    If he’s not good enough for Villa why should he be good enough for us?
    What next – a bid for Dave Kitson or Carlton Cole?
    Back to the old days of buying has-beens who never were.
    Would sooner see £5 million go on a young hungry and mobile striker with something to prove.

• 22 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jun 12, 2013 at 11:55 PM

Just checked in on your last comment.

I do like these players, Gouffran is a second striker, HBA should be played down the middle, but Marv doesn’t seem fit enough and could be moved on maybe.

• 23 numba9 // Jun 13, 2013 at 12:05 AM

Bent yes Remy no had his chance and is yet another foreign mercenary big before he is actually big much like a lot of the over priced young English players these days

• 24 JP...from The Rock // Jun 13, 2013 at 1:36 AM

Ed if we do that and sign and perhaps Boudebouz / Tom Ince / Mertens we will have a great season. We live in hope I guess. We’re only that shy from being a great team again.

• 25 OhSholaAmeobi // Jun 13, 2013 at 7:24 AM

If we sign Bent I will seriously consider getting rid of my season ticket.

• 26 Greebol1892 // Jun 13, 2013 at 7:28 AM

Remy yes is a good player but after the shenanigans we should look somewhere else.
    Bent at 5m – NO WAY! 3.5m max for someone with 2-3 yrs left at top level. Yes experienced & good finisher, probably worth 10 goals a season, AND MUCH BETTER THAN that no.23 sh*la…. but not for 5m & stupid wages. Rather spend the money on a younger model.

• 27 dbpjake // Jun 13, 2013 at 8:44 AM

Voted yes for Bent. Have been saying it for a while.

Highly doubt we’ll get Remy, in all honesty I think he could stay at QPR. Why should he leave? He chose the money and the risky move, he has a contract and no player is bigger than the club, especially at the Rs. I cannot stand them.

• 28 Lowesy // Jun 13, 2013 at 2:22 PM

I think we can get Bent for less than £5m, he’s not getting any younger, has had a falling out with Lambert, hasn’t performed of late, etc. £3m maybe?
    Remy chose QPR when we had shown more interest in him, money made him choose QPR, now I think he should be left alone.
    Would like to see another British player come in as well as Bent. Do we think Cisse’s going to stay? What with the Wonga situation.

• 29 nufcdan28 // Jun 14, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Bent would be good because he’s cheap and English. Remy……no chance. What toon fan would want Remy. Ideye looks quality

previous post: This Top Young Ajax Winger Could Be Great Buy For Newcastle