The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Will Mike Ashley Keep Backing Alan Pardew?

11:34 pm, Thursday, June 13th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 18 Comments

There’s not much new news on the Darren Bent situation this evening, other than Newcastle will only do a transfer if they can get a good deal on both the transfer fee and his wages – but that kind of thing is par for the course these days for Newcastle with every new player.

darren bent against southamtpon

Darren Bent in action against Southampton last September

But the Daily Mirror is reporting that Alan Pardew is winning his battle to get Mike Ashley to support him in bringing in an older and more experienced player.

The last time Mike agreed to bring in an older player – in 2010 with Sol Campbell – it was a similar situation with Chris Hughton having coached Sol when he was at Tottenham.

And we suppose Chris convinced Ashley to bring the former England center-back in on a free transfer and wages of £40K/week.

But it was simply a disaster, with Sol no longer good enough to play in the Premier League,  and Newcastle became the last club he played for in what was a great career, and Chris was fired a short five months after signing Campbell.

It’s a similar situation with Alan Pardew and Darren Bent at the moment, with Pardew having coached Darren in the Premier League in Darren’s best spell ever, when in
79 appearances for Charlton Athletic he scored 37 goals, and then was sold to Spurs for £16.5M in June of 2007, after Charlton were relegated.

In the past Mike Ashley has backed Alan Pardew to the hilt, so it remains to be seen if Newcastle can bring in Darren Bent – and go against the policy of signing players 26 or younger – so their value will increase at Newcastle.

Bobby Robson tried to sign Bent at the same time we brought in another Darren – Darren Ambrose in 2003 from Ipswich – but Bent, who was also at Ipswich at the time, didn’t want to come north – because the 19 year-old didn’t think he would play enough games.

Darren is rated at £6M and we think if Newcastle can get a decent deal on the striker it may just happen – and let’s face it, he’s at least a proven Premier League goalscorer.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

18 responses so far ↓

• 1 Newcastle Brown Alien // Jun 13, 2013 at 11:38 PM

well sol’s career was over, players like bent still have a few years, just no resale value and the best is behind them

• 2 lesh // Jun 13, 2013 at 11:44 PM

Why oh why are transfers, well, rumoured ones anyway, seemingly so difficult and protracted.

In answer to the question posed, will Ashley upset the players by bringing Bent in on higher wages? No and there’s my opinion anyway

• 3 Jail for Ashley // Jun 13, 2013 at 11:46 PM

NBA,
    I am no way comparing us to Man U, although at least in my lifetime we rivaled them, but RVP probably has no resale value yet won the league last year

• 4 Newcastle Brown Alien // Jun 13, 2013 at 11:50 PM

Jail, I would have no objection to us getting bent, but it just doesn’t fit in with our transfer philosophy and I think for £5/6m there are better players on lower wages. But there is a diiference between a player who carried arsenal, and a player who couldn’t make a struggling villa team.

• 5 jimmysmith // Jun 13, 2013 at 11:51 PM

TP, I think this group will have picked up the equivalent of 2 years experience after last seasons demands, so that will help, when I say balance, I mean quality and cover in all positions, ..not heavy in some and light in others. 3 quality signings, 2 of them genuine wingers, the other a striker with a physical presence and we don’t lose any of our best players and were about sorted, as far as I can see, but getting those players in seems critical in keeping the talent we already have. I hope so anyway, because I really like the way this squad could shape up.

• 6 stuart no9 // Jun 13, 2013 at 11:54 PM

could history repeat itself if pardew did bring bent to newcastle? hughton didnt last long after he signed campbell- could the same happen to pards? .
    I am not pards biggest fan , so let him bring bent and see what happens .

• 7 jimmysmith // Jun 13, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Yes, three top players to round out the squad and then a top manager to get it buzzing if Pards can’t. C’mon Ash, it’s on!

• 8 chuck // Jun 14, 2013 at 12:02 AM

Just ain’t gonna happen, not with those wages, fugeddaboudit !
    No doubt the guy has a history as a goals corer, but given the choice between a then even younger Shane Long, when he was at Reading.
    Where we could have paid under six million, that’s the deal I would have gone for.
    I believe he has been a disruptive presence at most off the clubs he’s been at also and definitely does,nt want to be anywhere near Noocarsil.
    Nah, no way Jose !

• 9 Toon-Prodigy // Jun 14, 2013 at 12:09 AM

Jimmy,

Personally, I don’t think we will get any wingers in. I think we will carry on the system that did us well the season before last. A 4-3-3 and this 4-2-3-1.

No consistent starting 11 last season seen this fail because the youngsters wern’t ready to step up and cover the injuries sustained.

I’d love a winger(s) brought in but can’t see it happening to be honest.

Strikers should be the priority. And a centre back if Colo leaves.

If only Obertan did better, Ferguson did us over goodstyle with him.

• 10 Dondatta13 // Jun 14, 2013 at 12:10 AM

Dont know if this has already been posted but look….

• 11 Toon-Prodigy // Jun 14, 2013 at 12:15 AM

Wasn’t Bent dipping Bruce’s daughter at Sunderland?

And that’s how it all went tits up?

He can score goals Bent, I have to say I think he would do ok at the Toon. Him and Cisse though, could they gel?

The only partner I could see for a Cisse type player would be a fast nippy kind of player who could create that half a yard he needs in the box. A fast forward dragging away defenders is what he needs I think.

• 12 AMEOBI // Jun 14, 2013 at 12:22 AM

Man who walks through airport turnstile going to Bangkok…

• 13 geordiejamie89 // Jun 14, 2013 at 12:33 AM

If Darren bent is to be signed foe 5m, then I’d also like Newcastle to sign Hooper. That would be the replacement for ba and shola sorted as shola isn’t up to much. And that’s not a big ask given what Newcastle must be expecting to have to pay for aubemeyang. And that adds a bit of English talent to the team. Keep Ferguson and give him the chance to take Jonas off the pitch. And sign douglas. Add a couple youngsters to that and theres a decent team.

• 14 geordiejamie89 // Jun 14, 2013 at 12:37 AM

Oh yea and hopefully Campbell can break through to the first team. And have Ryan Taylor back before the end of the season. He’s got his floors but he’s a good provider.

• 15 Shearer.Milburn // Jun 14, 2013 at 12:54 AM

Hey, sorry to post this here but I need all the help I can get to beat a SMB!!! All you have to do to help is go to EDENMORE GOLF & COUNTRY CLUB on facebook and write my name ‘John Martin’ below the pictures for best dressed on captains day. I really appreciate anyone who helps. HWTL

• 16 lesh // Jun 14, 2013 at 1:41 AM

AMEOBI // Jun 14, 2013 at 12:22 AM

Man who walks through airport turnstile going to Bangkok…

??????

• 17 vinceb60 // Jun 14, 2013 at 1:42 AM

Can we really trust Mike Ashley or alan Pardew after an awful season Mike Ashley and NewCastle talk about getting people and nothing happens. After almost being relegated you think it would knock sense into his head but no he is a cheap owner who doesn’t wanna spend a dime.

• 18 scout // Jun 14, 2013 at 6:26 AM

6 million for a good 3 seasons, it’s a no brainer for me . The bloke is quality and loves the toon

previous post: Newcastle Transfer Target Looking For A Very Good Club