It’s a bit of a surprise to us, but there’s some potentially good news in the Newcastle Journal today, that the agent of top Saint-Etienne striker Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang has contacted Newcastle about our intentions related to the striker.
Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang – his agent has contacted Newcastle
The Journal is reporting that his agents have contacted Newcastle in the last ten days, to inquire about Newcastle’s interest in their client.
The news in January was that Newcastle went so far as to launch a £8.5M bid for the striker, who turns 24 next Tuesday.
That bid was turned down late in January, and it seems St. Etienne want two or three million more than that – but that should be within Newcastle’s range, for what is their number one target this summer.
That’s true isn’t it? 😀
There was news a couple of days ago that Russian club Anzhi would bid £25M for the Gabon striker, which is about twice what his club’s valuation was of him in January.
And the Journal says Newcastle made not one but two offers for the striker in January, with both bids being turned down, as we tried desperately to replace Demba Ba – but didn’t.
Newcastle are keeping their powder dry until next month before trying to sign anybody, and the transfer market opens officially on July 1st.
But agreements can be made well before then – and in fact Norwich City and Chris Hughton tied up Sporting Lisbon striker Ricky van Wolfswinkel in early April, and he has been linked with Newcastle for a number of years.
French sources have indicated that while Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang preference is for a move to a club playing in the Champions League, he would also be interested in a move to the Premier League, with Tottenham also said to be keen on the striker.
You can also reach Ed at firstname.lastname@example.org