French Reports – Cabaye Has Passed Medical At Monaco?


The French web-site L’Equipe 21 is said to be reporting late Friday that Newcastle midfielder  Yohan Cabaye has taken and passed a medical at French club Monaco, who were promoted back the French first division last season.

yohan cabaye i can't hear you

Yohan Cabaye – is that Monaco calling

Cabaye has been linked closely with a move to Monaco for a few weeks now, and only a few days ago their Sporting Director Vadim Vasilyev said that Cabaye was an interesting, exciting player.

Monaco have been spending money like it’s going out of style this summer, backed by Russian billionaire Dmitry Rybolovlev, who bought the club in November of 2011.

A player takes a medical only when a fee has been agreed between the two clubs, and then the player must agree personal terms, so if this report is accurate, then both those things should have happened.

Monaco have spent vast amounts of money already this summer on their three signings – Atletico Madrid striker Radamel Falcao (£50M), and Porto players Joao Moutinho and James Rodriguez for £60M – so we have to assume – again if this story is true – that Newcastle got a massive fee for the French International.

There is also no income tax in Monaco, although French authorities are trying to change that, and the club’s stated intention is to get to Champions League qualification just as quickly as possible.

But L’Equipe has also been wrong in some reports like these in the past – but this is so big that we expect Newcastle to comment tomorrow morning on whether this story is true or not.

If it’s true then we hope we got big big money – like £25M (in cool cash), and at least we’ll have time to bring in a replacement.this is all started with a tweet

But a note of caution – this all started with a tweet from French Football writer Robin Bairner, and he claimed this news was on the  L’Equipe 21 web-site – but we cannot find anything on that web-site about Cabaye having passed a medical at Monaco.

Robin also says the news is from a sure (trusted) source in the Monaco FC  medical department.

Yohan Cabaye has been at Newcastle for two seasons since signing from Lille for £5M (£4.3M) – and he has played 73 times for Newcastle with 11 goals and 11 assists.

What do you think?

Comments welcome.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:


You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================



You can share this articleShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someonePin on PinterestDigg thisShare on LinkedInShare on RedditShare on Tumblr

125 comments so far

  • AndyNUFC

    Jun 15, 2013 at 1:14 AM

    Comment #1

    Is it just me, or if Cabaye for £20M means Graham carr has £20M to spend is that not an exciting prospect?

    0
  • Kc-Toon

    Jun 15, 2013 at 1:14 AM

    Comment #2

    Im not too concerned whether he actually goes or not, Im more interested in what price we get for him!

    0
  • Toonabroad

    Jun 15, 2013 at 1:16 AM

    Comment #3

    @andynufc I totally agree with you and the way Monaco like to spend money and Cabaye being ashley’s favourite player hopefully it is even more then 20million, but then comes the reality of Newcastle not reinvesting that money into our future. Sigh if only we did.

    0
  • Newcastle Brown Alien

    Jun 15, 2013 at 1:17 AM

    Comment #4

    If he goes i hope it doesn’t lead to a mass exodus of our french

    0
  • manxpie

    Jun 15, 2013 at 1:18 AM

    Comment #5

    andy not for me tbh cabeye imo is the hardest player to replace without doubt especially with peanuts and now every club knows we need a new playmaker (if this is true) it won’t come cheap!

    0
  • AndyNUFC

    Jun 15, 2013 at 1:18 AM

    Comment #6

    Kc same, funny old game modern football is!

    It has a big echo of the Carroll deal for me – uproar about the player sold, then, how much?! Oh alright then that will get a whole new team!

    0
  • Toonacious T

    Jun 15, 2013 at 1:18 AM

    Comment #7

    Andy If its anything like the Andy Carroll money, he’ll get a third of it to spend in January 2015, lol!

    0
  • Its simple,

    Yohan, you are not going anywhere, you are under contract with us and so will continue to play for us.

    I don’t believe in this, ‘every player has a price’, if we sell him for 20M we can get 2 decent players in, it’s all nonsense, we should be building the whole team around a player like Cabaye not selling him!!

    0
  • Sazzer

    Jun 15, 2013 at 1:21 AM

    Comment #9

    By the way, I’m going to give cred Steve G for Prism research.
    ?
    @SteveGardnerITV
    Only mention I can find of ‘Cabaye Monaco medical’ is on this ITK-looking forum earlier, citing ‘sure source’ http://www.jeuxvideo.com/forums/1-20-23384965-1-0-1-0-monaco-cabaye-a-passer-la-visite.htm#message_23385021 … #nufc

    0
  • manxpie

    Jun 15, 2013 at 1:23 AM

    Comment #10

    agree shane about not selling cabeye are you a previous poster thats changed your name or do you just visit in these wonderous times?

    0
  • manxpie

    Jun 15, 2013 at 1:25 AM

    Comment #11

    sazzer u seem to know your twitter stuff but where does the 21 come from on that tweet from “l’quipe ” isn’t it just l’quipe?

    0
  • Toon-Prodigy

    Jun 15, 2013 at 1:25 AM

    Comment #12

    Oh dear,

    Can’t say I believe this, the source is from someone who works in the medical centre where the supposed medical took place.

    Surely big news corporations would of been onto this if true?

    0
  • Sazzer

    Jun 15, 2013 at 1:26 AM

    Comment #13

    It is not Daily L’Equipe Ed, but L’Equipe 21’s evening edition.

    http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/L'%C3%89quipe_21

    0
  • elpaso_geordie

    Jun 15, 2013 at 1:30 AM

    Comment #14

    The fans or have now become accountants on this site will be delighted again. oooh how much have we spend now etc……
    Sad fact Is he is our star player despite some indifference in performances last year. We will gamble on more overseas players on the cheap and we again take a step back………….
    am certain despite the money from sky we will still make a profit in transfers again this window

    0
  • I’ve always been just Shane, changed it up specially for this summer… I had a feeling it would be a hectic one. 🙂

    0
  • Sazzer

    Jun 15, 2013 at 1:35 AM

    Comment #16

    manxpie
    Hope that answers your question.

    Toon-Prodigy
    The guy posting on the board @SteveGardnerITV is supposedly this player http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florian_Pinteaux, had surely can have inside connections. So not impossible that he knows somebody at the club. It would be a bit like Bradden Inman went out saying some one passed medical at Newcastle on his regular gaming forum. Hopefully, L’Equipe have check with Monaco for confirmation.

    0
  • Mister Tuff

    Jun 15, 2013 at 1:38 AM

    Comment #17

    L’Equipe 21 is L’Equipes’ TV Channel.

    0
  • manxpie

    Jun 15, 2013 at 1:40 AM

    Comment #18

    yeah cheers sazzer still not believing it till there’s a bit more weight behind it tho
    shane thought so hectic in the wrong way tho 🙂

    0
  • manxpie

    Jun 15, 2013 at 1:41 AM

    Comment #19

    u’ve created a new tongue twister tho try sayin that name fast!

    0
  • manxpie

    Jun 15, 2013 at 1:47 AM

    Comment #20

    just seen the reporter who posted the tweet works for……………………………………………………………………………………………………….wait for it………………………………………………………………………………goal.com!!!!!!!!!
    panic over thank god!

    0
  • Toon-Prodigy

    Jun 15, 2013 at 1:53 AM

    Comment #21

    Does this not seem weird though that NUFC have not released a statement saying they have accepted a fee?

    One would have to think this has been accepted sometime during yesterdays working hours. Why would Newcastle wait to release a statement 24 hrs later?

    Seems off to me, time will tell though.

    0
  • Mister Tuff

    Jun 15, 2013 at 1:54 AM

    Comment #22

    Ref Cabaye there is currently nothing on L’Equipes’ internet pages about this story.
    Cannot get the TV channel video for this evening to play in the UK -comes up with “Cette video n’est pas disponible dans votre pays”. (This video is not available in your country).
    I think the story is rubbish.

    0
  • Toonacious T

    Jun 15, 2013 at 1:55 AM

    Comment #23

    Manxpie – I hope your right but its hardly beyond the pale with the way things are looking. I mean they tried to sell the naming rights of the stadium, they have pedalled their wares with their “silly money” mantra every window for a while now.

    0
  • Haha, goal.com. Have they ever reported any factual news?? I believe them as much as I do the nut job Alex Jones and his conspiracy theories. 😀

    Got to love a tongue twister though, my missus sure does.

    0
  • manxpie

    Jun 15, 2013 at 2:10 AM

    Comment #25

    well i got that from nbc news and they say that fella who posted it works for goal.com (btw gary lineker follows nbc news) just to clarify does this class me as an ITK?

    0
  • yahya_nufc

    Jun 15, 2013 at 2:22 AM

    Comment #26

    If this were true, then I would mind because think who we could sign for £20m

    0
  • Sav

    Jun 15, 2013 at 2:35 AM

    Comment #27

    If its true, we definitely need a dead ball replacement for a start. Preferably, one who could take adecent corner for a change.

    0
  • p

    Jun 15, 2013 at 2:39 AM

    Comment #28

    lovely jubbly, 30m for a player who was depressed and injured for half of last season.

    now we have the money to sign Carlton Cole

    0
  • toon252

    Jun 15, 2013 at 3:12 AM

    Comment #29

    PLEASE READ BELOW – IT HAS IMPORTANT INFO REGARDING TH CABAYE SOURCE

    Sazzer are you playing dumb or are that stupid? Read the rest of the topic, all the other posters are taking the p iss out of the lad.. “another badger invent “sisters sources” “The same medical visit Valdes? (with a snoring smiley on it)” (google translate)

    Also if you click on the lads profile he’s 17 year of age – But then puts that he’s a 20 year old footballer.. It’s a gamers forum for ps3/xbox/ pc games… Yet a professional player is posting itk info on there, after posting info that Valdes had passed a medical in a previous topic (As pointed out by the above quote by poster Moyes who on his profile claims to be David Moyes “Scottish coach at Manchester United”..

    Sorry if you think this seems harsh but your provoking our fans absolutely no reason, all you had to do was read the other comments!

    0
  • eplforecast

    Jun 15, 2013 at 3:42 AM

    Comment #30

    If we get 30 million – i would say its a good sale. Thats exactly the type of money Cabaye is not worth.

    What i say is to get Ricky Lambert, Carroll and a replacement midfield player. And its a good transfer window already

    0
  • p

    Jun 15, 2013 at 4:09 AM

    Comment #31

    And get 15m for williamson while we are at it

    0
  • gonufc (not Arf' bad)

    Jun 15, 2013 at 4:51 AM

    Comment #32

    If Cabaye has to go then I’d want it to be to Monaco.
    If Cabaye goes to Monaco then I would want it to be for at least 30m- Because Monaco can/ would pay it! Less than that and I hope they wouldn’t accept it.

    HOWEVER, I would want every last penny of that money to be spent on top, ambitious players.
    No more Llambias quotes of “the money will be invested but just not all on transfers….” like last time.

    0
  • 89Norcal

    Jun 15, 2013 at 5:01 AM

    Comment #33

    AndyNUFC, ha! a pipe dream in every sense!

    I think there’s a reason JFA hasn’t chimed in yet; it’s because he’s probably died from laughter at the notion we would reinvest any money.

    This may call for another Mike Ashley/Derek Llambias parody cartoon…

    0
  • cyprus

    Jun 15, 2013 at 6:09 AM

    Comment #34

    Don’t know if this is true, but anything over 20 mil. will be welcome. I’ve seen too many games in which Cabaye was swamped. And we need a new set up as the current one is clearly not working. The money should buy us two speedy, exciting wingers. That together with a new small crafty Uruguayan (or something) CF and we should be looking at CL football! Sorry AP, it’s Europe again 😉

    0
  • valle

    Jun 15, 2013 at 6:10 AM

    Comment #35

    Cabaye is gone, deal with it… Whether this deal is true or not, there is simply to much smoke to make it quite clear that he wants a move, he even more or less stated so himself and anyone thinking otherwise are kiddin themselves. This is in my opinion not a huge deal, Cabaye are a good player but he has been blown up to be something even more spectacular than he really is, especially in his native france and allot of it stems from media coverage of how our supporters took him to heart from the start. He does however have a bad streak in him as we have seen by some headless tackles now and then and he was there in the end to our season when we couldnt buy a win, heck he was even captain. If we can get a huge over the top amount for him, I would see that as a great deal. Not because im much bothered with our accounts as some people make it out to be, but because we can buy a replacement and then some for any amount of more than 20 mil.

    0
  • Aussiedave

    Jun 15, 2013 at 6:11 AM

    Comment #36

    Cabaye may well leave but this story for me is absolute rubbish. Monaco would be required to have a bid already accepted from NUFC for a medical to take place. This is usually disclosed by the club.

    Cant see him going back to playing in France as he knows this is a step down in quality, top clubs in better leagues would be able to offer him similar wages to Monaco

    0
  • Aussiedave

    Jun 15, 2013 at 6:13 AM

    Comment #37

    Just a though on the Andy Carroll situation,

    Ladbrokes are offering 6-1 on Carrol returning to NUFC, why dont we bet 3m on him coming home then sign him. The 18m winnings (15m profit) will cover the transfer fee.

    Would be great if this was allowed

    0
  • Charlie in the Gallowgate

    Jun 15, 2013 at 6:30 AM

    Comment #38

    Selling Cabaye to make way for Sessegnon ??????

    0
  • gonufc (not Arf' bad)

    Jun 15, 2013 at 6:37 AM

    Comment #39

    @Charlie – where have you got that from? Sessegnon is a good player but not for me.

    He goes in and out of form in patches, and seems to have gone bad now; not reliable enough.

    He’s in no way a replacement for Cabaye because he’s a totally different type of player. He’s more an attacking mid/ winger and not the deep passer that Cabaye is

    We have someone like him (runs at defences, shoots from range, does something special) who is superior to Sessegnon and that’s Ben Arfa.

    Also, he’s almost 30 and obviously from Sunderland.

    0
  • Graeme

    Jun 15, 2013 at 6:41 AM

    Comment #40

    Complete speculation until its confirmed by NUFC I’m afraid.

    But, if he does go, it will be for serious money, which we have to hope will be re-invested in the team during this window, to allow incoming players to do the pre-season and bed in.

    Its not like we don’t need the investment and this may be the only way we are going to get it. Hopefully Mr Carr can get some players that Pardew can actually coach without ruining them by improving the wingers ability as a full back!!

    I guess we just wait and see!!

    0

You must log in to post a comment.