New French Stars’ Six Goals Saved Newcastle Last Season

Newcastle were going to try to sign both Yoan Gouffran and Moussa Sissoko this summer, when they became free agents, but because of our position in the league table in January – Mike Ashley, to his credit, brought the two lads in during January, even though they cost us a fee at that time.

Yoan Gouffran Scores - West Brom

Yoan Gouffran scores at West Brom in 1-1 draw

The Newcastle owner didn’t really get much credit for that, and both players scored three goals for Newcastle – Yoan in 15 appearances and Moussa in 18 appearances.

Moussa got us victory and an extra two points in the 2-1 win at Aston Villa on his debut, and his sensational second half goals after we had gone 2-1 down to Chelsea, got us an extra three points.

So Moussa got us an extra 5 points, and Yoan’s goal at West Brom got us a point and his great goal at QPR got us an extra two points in the 2-1 win, so Yoan got us an extra 3 points with those goals.

So in retrospect, it was worthwhile bringing both players in, because their goals got us an extra 8 points – and that saved us.

Yoan Gouffran has talked to the local press today and this is what he said:

“What we really want is to make sure we start next season a lot better.” “We want to come out of the blocks well – we know what we have to do.”

“We have a great team and wonderful players.” “The manager took some time to talk to us after the QPR match.” “I was glad my goal made us safe in the Premier League.”

“We were all happy after the QPR result. I am really happy at Newcastle.”

Gouffran could be the surprise player of the five Frenchmen brought in during January, and his speed and movement causes opposing defenses all kinds of trouble, and he can score goals too.

He looks a great acquisition for Newcastle, and along with Moussa Sissoko, their six goals helped save Newcastle from what would have been an absolutely catastrophic relegation – but we live to fight another day – that’s the good news.

But as Yoan says – we have to do better next season.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================
\

• IITianToon

Jun 15, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Goofy must be thinking, will I ever get 90 mins under this Pardew?

• TorqToon

Jun 15, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Proud – I hear the same mate!

Maybe we should both just f off and take our itk crap elsewhere?!? Haha

• Ketsbaia9

Jun 15, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Cabaye out for £25m, Siem De Jong, Remy, Boudebouz, Douglas and Belhanda in for £30m. Set aside another £18m for Benteke. Net spend = £23m

• scout

Jun 15, 2013 at 9:45 AM

Yeah spurs would have finished 9th without bales goals haha what a load of tosh

• scout

Jun 15, 2013 at 9:46 AM

Haha more like cabaye out, no one in

• magpie6699

Jun 15, 2013 at 9:54 AM

How about a spot of culture – or is it too early on a Saturday morning?
    When I read some of the posts from people who believe every rumour and use it to justify continuous doom and gloom, I am reminded of the final lines of a poem.
    “So never, ever let us doubt,
    what nobody is sure about!”
    (I think it’s Hilaire Belloc – something about microbes)
    Or, as I always say – What will be, will be – even if it never happens!

• Tommyy

Jun 15, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Lets get some deals done! Anyone got anymore news regarding technical coach / advisor? This is a priority for the fans!

• Taking the Papiss

Jun 15, 2013 at 9:57 AM

I have seen this so much over the last couple of days it’s driving me crazy (even though off topic). Can someone please explain to me how ashley has “lined his pockets” with the transfer money? One sensible explanation or do take it tht what people actually means is htat he doesn’t just spend it all at once. Think about it this way – we got ba in to replace carroll at the end of the season and wanted cisse but were quoted £17m. We waited until january because we didnn’t want to overpay and got him for £9m. Same with Debuchy. Am i the only one that doesn’t want to club to pointlessly throw money around and pay over a player’s value just to get him now now now?

• Taking the Papiss

Jun 15, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Kets no way we should get Remy. excellent player but will be on a rape charge (maybe) in September. We can’t take that risk.

• TorqToon

Jun 15, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Hatem – where did I not stand up for you?????

All I said was for you to chill out, as you say, this is all about free speech, and you reacted way over the top to what proud said, and for the second time, to myself.

There’s no need to get so angry and irate so easily. And as you don’t know the ages of the people who read this forum, language like you continually come out with is unacceptable.

That is my point…! And like you say, I too have my right to free speech.

• Tommyy

Jun 15, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Magpie6699 – At least you chose a canon suited to the level of literary aptitude of this blog! Haha excellent stuff.

• Stevenage Magpie

Jun 15, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Proud/ Torq do you think anything might happen this weekend Re; incomings?

• lesh

Jun 15, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Tommyy…… literary aptitude? Heavy stuff for a sunny Saturday morning!

• ArtyH

Jun 15, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Coloccini Says “I’m A Grateful Person…So I Will Stay At Newcastle”, LOL’s, more like 7 million other reasons.

• lesh

Jun 15, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Time for me to have a cuppa, it’s getting a tad heavy on here.

• WWYCD

Jun 15, 2013 at 10:08 AM

Wow hostile environment here

Cabs leaving for 20+million isn’t the worst deal in the world, shame to lose him but after last season that’s a decent wedge…he needs replacing though and that’s the only worry I have, I don’t rate Anita all that highly, Sissoko isn’t a passer and Tiote is Tiote

I will be happy to not see him playing against us though

• scout

Jun 15, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Chilworth icon at York fellas, for anyone with a few quid about the place

• scout

Jun 15, 2013 at 10:11 AM

He’s two bob, personally hope he leaves

• Tommyy

Jun 15, 2013 at 10:19 AM

Lesh – Send us some of your sun!?

• stretchintoon

Jun 15, 2013 at 10:39 AM

@ kets-3,i like the cut of your jib,alas tho were talking ashley & lumbalas

• NEWEXPATMAGPIE

Jun 15, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Kets @3:

We can dream?

Be nice but somthing like that aint gonna happen?
    Plus, if Remie,s court case goes the wrong way he will be in the Slammer by mid- October?

• toonluvva

Jun 15, 2013 at 12:19 PM

How much will Remy cost with a potential rape charge hanging over him?

I wonder if there is a point at which we take a punt and sign him up. If he is convicted, then we tear up his contract. In the end, if he only cost a couple of million it might not be too bad a situation.

• Greebol1892

Jun 16, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Really like Gouffran. Excellent work-rate, knows where the goal is, good passer, decent pace & technically sound. Deserves more pitch time for sure.