Joe Kinnear Returns To Newcastle – Will Have Final Say On Transfers

Joe Kinnear is thew new Director Of Football at Newcastle. and that’s the shock news today, after there was news earlier today, that he could be  brought back to the club he managed for about five months during our relegation season.

joe kinnear

Joe Kinnear – returns as Director of Football

The last time we had a Director of Football was when Dennis Wise came in during January of 2008, and the first thing he said was that he would work closely with new manager Kevin Keegan, but that didn’t happen, and a short nine months later Kevin Keegan had resigned because Wise had brought in a couple of players without telling the manager what he was doing.

Not good.

The news today  is that Joe has been talking with owner Mike Ashley about a new role at the club for about three weeks, and we suppose Joe will be part of a reorganization at Newcastle.

We just hope the fans are told why the new reorganization, what problems it is supposed to be solving,  and that the benefits are to the club.

This is what Joe said about Alan Pardew and his new job:

“I’ll sit down with Alan Pardew and talk to him about the strengths, weaknesses and what we need to be successful,” “I know I’ve got more knowledge than anyone at Newcastle as a football manager.”

“That’s not being disrespectful to anybody. And I know I will bend over backwards to do the best I possibly can to make Newcastle a better team than they are now. It’s glaringly clear where we need to improve, and it’ll be my job – my job – to go and buy these players to make Newcastle better.”

“I’m a good judge of players. I’ve got a bright head, I know a good player when I see one, and can get the right players in for us to be successful. There’s no other agenda here. And if I see players at the club right now who are not good enough, then I intend to move them on.”

“There are no issues whatsoever with Pardew. My job is quite clear: I’m Director of Football, he’s the manager. I’m not picking the team. That’s what the manager gets paid to do. I’m there solely to ensure he gets the best possible team out on the pitch.”

“T he tactics and the coaching are down to him. If he wants my advice on tactics and ideas, he can ask me. But he’s in charge of the team that is put out on the pitch.”

That first statement  “I know I’ve got more knowledge than anyone at Newcastle as a football manager.” is not a good way to start – with Alan Pardew having been in management for 14 years now, but Joe has always been outspoken – and that hasn’t changed.

Joe was then asked who would have the final say on transfers – and when Dennis Wise last held the job the answer was that it was the manager Kevin Keegan – but it wasn’t.

This time Joe says he’s the one who will have the final say on which players come and go – and when asked who will have the final say on players this is what Joe said:

“It’ll be me. What I’m saying is, between me, Alan and Graham Carr,  we’ll sit down and iron it out. If those two decide a player we’re looking at is not good enough, my ears will be wide open. It’s not a case of ‘like it or lump it’.”

“If a close decision is to be made, though, and we’re running out of time and it’s something we have to do, whether that’s adding meat or beef to the team, or pace in wide areas, or someone who can guarantee us 20 goals a season, I will buy those players.”

“I will take that chance once I’ve clarified that with Alan, that this is for the good of Newcastle.”  “I’ll assess the transfer kitty with Mike next week once I’ve sat down with Alan first, find out what is wanted, who can be shifted out of the club – maybe we can get money back if we shift four or five of them – and then look at the targets.”

On his health Joe, which could be a big issue, said the following:

“I’m as fit as a fiddle now,” “I’m absolutely delighted with the situation. I’ve been working out in the gym, going for long walks, and I’ve lost a lot of weight – I’m in the best physical shape I’ve ever been in.”

“I’ve just been waiting for the opportunity to come back. I’ve turned down managerial jobs in the lower leagues because I felt I’d gone past that and I wanted to get my teeth into something in the Premier League. This is something I’m looking forward to.”

And from looking at the comments from fans – it seems there is some negativity about Joe being appointed.

But there’s no reason why the partnership between Pardew and Kinnear (and Graham Carr) couldn’t work very well – as long as there is good communication between the two of them and they remember to do what’s best for Newcastle.

That wasn’t the case with Kevin Keegan and Dennis Wise and it all blew up – and the end result of that was that we were relegated in 2009, and Joe had been brought in as the manager for five months of that time.

For the good of Newcastle we hope it will all work – and it’s certainly been shown at some other big clubs that it can work well – if the people in charge have good working relationships.

Of course what some pundits will no doubt say is that Newcastle now have a person who can step in for Alan Pardew – if we have a really bad patch again next season – but we wont say that.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• Belfast

Jun 16, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Big Ron next….

• Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand

Jun 16, 2013 at 8:09 PM

Okay, having thought this through, could it be this is just a trick to make us all a bit more appreciative of Pardew?

By the time the season kicks off, JKA will have left and everyone will be delighted to just be listening to Pardew again?

• toon22

Jun 16, 2013 at 8:09 PM

You think they could get Ozzy Ardiles?

• Joe Blog

Jun 16, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Party time! Woohooooooooo! 😀

• tynesidetommo

Jun 16, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Utter madness and confirms the club as the PL’s most watched soap opera

• Indian Magpie

Jun 16, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Geordie Two

Howard Wilkinson

• Joe Blog

Jun 16, 2013 at 8:12 PM

I cannot wait to hear more sweet prose from JFK.

• Rotonda heights

Jun 16, 2013 at 8:12 PM

JFK will have our fitness levels soaring again NOT!!!
    I’m almost close to tears as my beloved club is being destroyed by Ashley and co.

• Belfast

Jun 16, 2013 at 8:13 PM

I would love to be a fly on the wall in this meeting lol

• Vancmagpie

Jun 16, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Ashley,Llamarse,Pardew,Wonga and now Kinnear we are so blessed

• NUFC_LEAZES END

Jun 16, 2013 at 8:14 PM

Who’s this Olivier kemen we’ve apparently signed? There’s a picture with him and Beardsley in front of the newcastle united sign in st James park??

• toon22

Jun 16, 2013 at 8:14 PM

The guy almost died last time ffs,exactly what is he after?

• Indian Magpie

Jun 16, 2013 at 8:14 PM

Bring Jim carey to NUFC, The original Yes man

• richyg01

Jun 16, 2013 at 8:14 PM

Thing is, at the end of the day JFK has a footballing mind and I believe he and AP can forge a partnership for the good of the club, after all, he is being brought in to oust LambsArse so that can only b good

• toon22

Jun 16, 2013 at 8:15 PM

Maybe we will sign that old bloke from the Wonga adverts lmao

• Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand

Jun 16, 2013 at 8:15 PM

• Unbelievable Tekkers

Jun 16, 2013 at 8:15 PM

Where’s a cardiac arrest when u need one!

• Joe Blog

Jun 16, 2013 at 8:15 PM

JFK fact:

As a teenager, Joe Kinnear was in a garage band called ‘The C*** and The C***lings.’.

• Unbelievable Tekkers

Jun 16, 2013 at 8:16 PM

Im just joking before people start crying.

• toon22

Jun 16, 2013 at 8:16 PM

Does SJP have resident defibulators?

• Indian Magpie

Jun 16, 2013 at 8:17 PM

Pardew and Kinnear to interchange positions as Manager and DOF

• Rotonda heights

Jun 16, 2013 at 8:18 PM

ibiza

Ironically they’re cut from the same cloth both extremely arrogant with little to nothing to base it on and both hoof ball dinosaurs.

Pardew had nearly finished me off but there was a glimmer of a technical adviser coming in from Belgium
    as well as De Jong and PEA, albeit far fetched.

Now it’s all gone to hell. You’d have to be a mug to buy a ST now as Ashley’s lack of ambition has been completely exposed with this insane appointment.

• Slatymag

Jun 16, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Rotonda @445

Yes, that’s what makes it all the more surreal.

Maybe Ashley thinks he’s only making us fans look stupid but this really can’t reflect well on him in the business world, either as a merchant or as a person. In fact if we can withdraw from our own personal anger for a moment can’t we laugh/pity his attempts at annoying us. It is such as sad move by a person who has within his means to do so much more. Very petty, and to be honest you have to wonder at the playground mentality of the man.

You can’t buy class, Ash. Sorry, but you are making yourself look silly.

• Joe Blog

Jun 16, 2013 at 8:19 PM

JFK fact:

Recently, Joe Kinnear rekindled his passion for music, in his spare time he plays in a tribute band to a 60s beat group – Joe and The Pacemakers.

• rainrix

Jun 16, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Lol

• Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand

Jun 16, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Rotonda….I would take Pardew over JFK any day of the week, but I suppose that isn’t really saying too much.

I really just cannot figure out what the thinking is here and what they hope to achieve.

Let’s hope we’re missing something as right now, I fail to see the silver lining with this one.

Going to be a fun summer.

• Indian Magpie

Jun 16, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Ibiza

Kinnear just said “I am back by Popular demand”

• yahya_nufc

Jun 16, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Not this guy man! Left our club to be relegated and sold out Charles Imsomnia

• Unbelievable Tekkers

Jun 16, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Can’t find much on this Olivier Kemen looks like he is a midfielder/forward and has played for france u16 and u17

• north east lincs toon

Jun 16, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Everyone oh ! Ah ! Cartoon army!

• Ibizatoon - Back By Popular Demand

Jun 16, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Indian…I also noted his comment “and due to the special request of a fan from India, we’ll be offering Shola a 5 year contact extension, we’re all about making the fans happy at Newcastle united”.

Happy days.

• Indian Magpie

Jun 16, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Good Night

Not by Popular demand

But because of time

• Black and White with an army lol

Jun 16, 2013 at 8:28 PM

ok then so JFK thinks he knows more about football than any 1 in Newcastle United and probably around Newcastle i’ll take him on then concerning transfers

i would bring in

PEA, De Jong brothers, Martens, Eriksson, Corchia, Butland, Ince, Hughes, Sinclair, Verratti, Romero, Ayew’s brothers, Alderwield & Leandro Damaio

i would love to know what that daft tw@t brings in

• Belfast

Jun 16, 2013 at 8:28 PM

If only this was all on film.

Newcastle the five year plan.

It would certainly rival Qpr the four year plan lol

• Edmond

Jun 16, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Pirlo is a beast

• Vancmagpie

Jun 16, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Ashley really hasn`t learnt a single thing and will continue to show he really knows nothing about the Toon or football

• BDin9

Jun 16, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Well that’s a good weekend ruined

• LeedsMag

Jun 16, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Unf@in believeable – you really could not make this up.Whatever all the Ashley,Lamearse and Pardew supporters/appeasers out there would like to believe – how can this possibly help NUFC in any way shape or for.A football director – ok – dubious role but possible.But a bloke who is light years out of touch with the modern game and who’s first statement has left Pardew and Carr like deadmen walking – do me a favour! If ever there was a decision that demonstrated how out of touch our owners are with the football industry ,this is it.We are worth than a laughing stock.There is nothing positive here – its the deathknell for our club – absloute shambles – jst wait until Joe shows us his vision for what we need. The cream of Europe will have agents knocking the door down to try and get a contract at SJP.
    As fans we do not deserve this!!

• mot7

Jun 16, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Had enough of this shit from ashley im going to watch northern league next season .
    Sick of wasting my wages and in not willing to sit through another relegation season Massive step back this one ashley you fat bastard.

• check the toastie

Jun 16, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Slag Joe Kinnear off all you want, but personally think he couldn’t do a worse job than Parsnip, would actually prefer him in charge of the team. I know he’s hardly progress, but Pardew is a totally useless ‘c#nt’

Not saying this is good news by the way, but I will not attend the ground again until Pardick is gone.