The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Kinnear Reports To Ashley – Wants Newcastle To Be Great Again

10:30 am, Monday, June 17th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 22 Comments

Joe Kinnear signed a three-year deal to become the new Director of Football, and his job is to work closely with manager Alan Pardew on incoming and outgoing transfers, and of course Che if Scout Graham Carr will also be fully in the loop – but it seems those three are the most important men with Joe reporting directly into owner Mike Ashley.

joe-kinnear-ere

Joe Kinnear – when Newcastle manager over three years ago

has urged Newcastle United fans to support him in his new role as director of football at St James’ Park.

The 66-year-old made a shock return to the North-East outfit as a senior figure following a five-month managerial stint in 2008.

Kinnear told the Shields Gazette.

“If I get grief, that’s fine,””I can take it. I can take grief. I certainly hope I don’t get it. I don’t think there’s any need for it.” “I’m in a role where I only want the best for the club.”

“I’m in a role where I’m the only one who’s going to report to Mike Ashley. I’m there because I want to make Newcastle a great team, it’s as simple as that.”

“I get a lot of satisfaction out of that. Hopefully, the fans will be as loyal as they have been. Tell the fans I’m there, and I’m going to make their team better than it is now, that’s for sure. That’s my message to them.”

What does he mean he’s the only one that reports directly to Mike Ashley, Derek LLambias reports to Mike too – although we think Alan Pardew reports into Derek LLambias.

But that shows you that Ashley considers the job of Director of Football to be an important one, and Joe will be getting some big bucks for the job.

Dennis Wise was getting a cool £1M a year when he had that position from January, 2008 and left the club quietly on April 1st of the next year, at the exact same time Alan Shearer was appointed manager – to try to save Newcastle.

Alan would have asked for Wise to be out if he was to come in – that looks like what happened there.

The truth is that Joe Kinnear has an important job to do at Newcastle, but the concern seems to be – given the animosity between Dennis Wise and Kevin Keegan the last time we had a Director of Football – will it be any better this time around.

For the sake of Newcastle we certainly hope so, and it will be interesting to hear Alan Pardew’s comments on the appointment, although he’s likely to give the party line – just as Kevin Keegan and Dennis Wise did over five years ago, when Wise was appointed a couple of weeks after Kevin came back as manager.

Everything at that time was going to work just great but then the earthquake happened in early September, 2008, and Newcastle ended up being relegated about nine months later.

That kind of stupidity cannot be allowed to happen this time around.

Do You Want Joe Kinnear As Newcastle's Director Of Football?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Newcastle News · Recruitment · Scouting Network · Transfer News and Rumours

22 responses so far ↓

• 1 NUFCarter // Jun 17, 2013 at 10:37 AM

TDS
    pardew was really getting into that. great video.

• 2 Lilongwe Geordie // Jun 17, 2013 at 10:38 AM

TADS,
    Ha, he looks like he had the same stylist as Rick Astley in that video.

• 3 Lilongwe Geordie // Jun 17, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Carter,
    Well he does like the sound of his own voice.

• 4 NUFCarter // Jun 17, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Maybe kinnear should get on with making the signings instead of thinking everyone wants to hear what he has to say. arrogant bastard.

• 5 NUFCarter // Jun 17, 2013 at 10:41 AM

True.

• 6 ToonMatt // Jun 17, 2013 at 10:42 AM

We are a laughing stock, It’s embarrassing!

• 7 NUFCarter // Jun 17, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Looks like Toby Alderwiereld is going to bayern munich.

• 8 magicbus // Jun 17, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Just an absolute joke of an appointment. God help us once again.

• 9 Belfast // Jun 17, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Still can’t believe it. Every kernt is taking the piss out of us.

• 10 Belfast // Jun 17, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Why Joe Kinnear ? It doesn’t make any sense. He must be taking advice from the Venkys at Blackburn.

• 11 oldbobaycliffe // Jun 17, 2013 at 10:49 AM

why no officil statement from the club or pardew are they ashamed or haven,t they sobered up yet

• 12 TALKOFTHETOON // Jun 17, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Morning chaps

Ashley drunk over the weekend? It’s an absolute joke, yet worryingly it hasnt surprised me as a shock with the way things are for us at the minute.

Get Laudrup in, play nice attacking football with quality players. Cabaye, Benny etc, would be great to see.

• 13 TALKOFTHETOON // Jun 17, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Saying thqat, doesn’t look like Laudrup would work here with a DOF involved.
    Nice one JK

• 14 Peter Reid Monkey Heed // Jun 17, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Morning Gents,

Little bit of news i found out this morning to bite your teeth into. Friend of mine at work gave me a bit of ribbing this morning as to the strange appointment and to why we appoint so many people from South. Then went on to tell me an interesting story.

Turns out this lad from works brother worked in a Garden Centre in a small village called Totteridge in North London, he went on to tell me that Joe Kinnear used to live in this area following his Heart Attack and was here for quite a few years. My friend told me that Joe was VERY open about what went on at the club and his life behind it, went on to say that none other than Mr Ashley lived in Totteridge aswell and it was as if he was handing out jobs to his neighbours, was a bit skeptical at first until he then mentioned that none other than Dennis Wise also has a property in this exact same area.

I asked him how long ago and he said that his brother stopped working their roughly 2 years ago, Joe Kinnear ALWAYS stated to him following his heart attack that he had the intention or returning to NUFC and that he only left on medical grounds and nothing more.

You couldnt make it up, if any of you lads have any questions that i can ask this lad from work i shall try and ask!

• 15 9 // Jun 17, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Oldbob@11
    Maybe there’s been no official announcement because the other half of the deal hasn’t been confirmed yet? (Bye, Alan?)

• 16 dembademba // Jun 17, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Not by any means a big kinnear fan but he tells it straight, no bull ish. Unlike pardew who is a hit of a sly fox. I can sort of understand the appointment, bit crazy tho

• 17 sparky55 // Jun 17, 2013 at 10:59 AM

I always get stick when talking pardew down and calling for him to be sacked after his inept performance last year and all I get is “he’s not been sacked…live with it and support your club”.

Wonder if those same people will be saying the same about JFK’s joke appointment!… the initial reaction I see from fans is not quite as accommodating.

There is no other possible scenario other than JFK is in there to divide and conquer…so Pardew will go and that’s a huge positive in my book…but my worry is of course who will come in with the prevailing management structure and does that only leave JFK as the only next possible managerial appointment.

This is Ashley at his brutal best…and that’s what we get for giving him such a hard time!

• 18 toon kk // Jun 17, 2013 at 11:01 AM

I think we should give him a chance, something needs shaking up at the club. We should judge him more after this transfer window closes. He might show Pardew the error of his ways, someone needs to.

• 19 Sav // Jun 17, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Woohoo. That’s ok then.

• 20 Cardboy // Jun 17, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Not long red about JK arriving. Was well shocked and almost laughed when I read it. A nervous laugh I must add. However, after a rant and a couple of black coffees I am thinking this. I sat through some sorry performances last season and a few people need some rockets for the coming season. Should keep a few on their toes but hope people don’t start leaving club. Not a Pardew basher but it’ll do him good to have someone to account to more often. JK won’t mince his words either no doubt! Shrewd move by Ashley? maybe!! Having said all that one thing left to say ‘Howay the lads’ bring on next season, can’t wait.

• 21 dannyhunt // Jun 17, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Carr views a load of players, recommends a few to Parspew, who agrees or not, they get passed to Joke who does the deals or deems them too expensive or whatever! gotta be better than Lamearse flying to france to get Remy only to be shunned at the last minute! if this is the structure thats fine I say! if not, and Joke is in charge of ALL outs and ins, then thats SH**E!!

• 22 widowmagandapoke // Jun 17, 2013 at 2:47 PM

There must be more to this than what is appearing on the surface.
    Pardew on the way out?
    Joke Kinnear made manager?
    Ashley has someone else in mind to work under Joke?
    Listen to the tom toms, there must be something in the wind.

previous post: Joe Kinnear – We Want To Keep All Our Top Players