My Old Man’s Joe Kinnear – He Lived In A Council Flat

Joe Kinnear has again damaged his standing with Newcastle fans by personally criticizing Newcastle’s goalscoring legend Alan Shearer, after Alan had said Joe had made Newcastle into a laughing stock with his ridiculous talkSPORT interview last Monday night.

joe kinnear 1234

Joe Kinnear – really a dustman at heart?

Joe didn’t exactly answer the criticism handed out by Shearer, but instead ridiculed Alan’s coaching abilities, and it’s never good to immediately get personal in any argument.

And today, the 66 year-old Irishman has tried to placate the fans in the Shields Gazette with this offering:

“They are like me up there – they appreciate hard work.” “I am from a council estate, and I have been taught the values of hard work.”

“A lot of the fans up there have that attitude.” “They want to see their team do as well as possible.” “And when things aren’t going right they stamp their feet – and so they should.

“It is part of the culture up there and you have to take the criticism when you don’t do well.” “You have to remember you are representing the fans up here.” “That’s what I have to do.”

And Joe was brought up in a council estate – weren’t we all – and it will be interesting to see if Joe can get to to the fans meeting set up by NUFC Fans United tonight.

But if he does make the meeting, he will need to behave himself – we’ve had enough of negative headlines surrounding Joe over this last week.

For some reason that reference to a council estate reminds us of that Lonnie Donegan hit of old – “My Old Man’s A Dustman” (circa 1960) – here’s some of the words we remember:

“My old man’s a dustman, he wears a dustman’s hat, he wears cor-blimey trousers and he lives in a council flat.”

Joe is trying to say he came up from humble beginnings – but most of us did – especially back in the old days when unemployment was so high in the Newcastle area in the 1960s – but I digress  …..   again. 😀

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• scout

Jun 24, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Well said

• ToonDarnSarf

Jun 24, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Lilongwe

You can’t believe direct quotes from people when they’re put out through the media anyway…

Things change anyway. I believe that when Carroll said that, he completely meant it, then a month later things changed. These things happen. As I said, I think things happened outside of his direct control really, and once an offer has been accepted, it’s not very often a player turns it down…

• scout

Jun 24, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Negative comments from Joe Ed but you’re ripping it out of the bloke by posting my old mans a dust man?
    What is it Einstein said, not everything that counts can be counted

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jun 24, 2013 at 10:54 AM

TDS,
    That was exactly the point I was making. That what might be true one day, is not the next in the quickly changing world of football and NUFC.

I agree, Carroll meant what he said, but when the Liverpool offer came in and the deal was on the table, he was more then happy to go. Doesn’t make him a liar, just situations change.

Anyway, it was all in reference to people believing what papers write, and others discounting them as there are no quotes or facts. It was just an example that is easily remembered and close to home.

• geordie157

Jun 24, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Getting tom ince would be a good start to adding to the first team. Redmond is definitely worth a look, maybe loaning Brum Inman and fergs to sweeten a deal.

• runheed

Jun 24, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Absolutely Ed. That’s why matches were a highlight to a bloody grim week. Joe K understands nothing.. This is spin.

• ToonDarnSarf

Jun 24, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Lilongwe

Completely agree with you. That’s why I’ve been slating the NUFC PR team recently. Some of the criticism levied at JFK and the club has been valid, but some has been completely inaccurate, and then it spread like wildfire.

For some reason, there are plenty of people who look at articles in places like the Daily Mail, The Sun and talkSPORT, see the words in big bold letters and believe them to be true. Then they tell their mates like they’re true, and suddenly we have thousands of people rehashing a “fact”.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jun 24, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Geordie157,
    Give them Ferg for Redmond. I’d be tempted to use Inman this season. He has scored goals at any side through our club and when on loan last season. As an attacking midfielder who played a fair bit for Crewe slightly wider then normal and cutting in, he could be worth giving a chance. Looks to have got past his injuries which set him back a couple of years ago.

• q8igeordie

Jun 24, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Tds .. lil ..

Exactly .. people are blinded by their hatred of mike .. that they believe everything the media publishes …. maybe, just maybe .. kinnear is better than lambias

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jun 24, 2013 at 11:07 AM

TDS,
    Yes, I made reference to the “FACT” comments as well earlier. To be fair, Kinnear made a rod for his own back with his tirade last time he was here. The media were always going to scrutinize and magnify his comments.

As for the PR team, it may have been that Kinnear wasn’t authorised to give those interviews, and it was a case of after the horse has bolted, hence 1 interview cancelled last week, and then nothing more until this weekend.

• ToonDarnSarf

Jun 24, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Lilongwe

I don’t just mean that interview when I’m talking about the PR team. Though Mike should have said to Kinnear that, keeping in mind what happened with the media last time, he was not authorised to talk to them until he had been fully briefed.

I also think the use of the word “liaise” referring to Shearer and Shearer’s Bar was poor PR.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jun 24, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Q8i,
    Maybe he is, maybe he isn’t. Personally, I am no fan of Kinnear, and I think that the appointment and the way it was done was shambolic. I don’t need any media to tell me that.

Will he be better than Llambias, it depends on where their roles cross. I’m still not exactly sure what role JK will fulfill. He seems to alter it slightly every time he does an interview. I hope some clarification is given on that tonight. Although, according to the Journal all club staff are forbidden to talk about our new DoF’s role. We shall see.

• JAMSHA

Jun 24, 2013 at 11:15 AM

NOW STFU AN GET SUM PLAYERS IN

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jun 24, 2013 at 11:16 AM

TDS,
    the word “liaise” maybe wasn’t the wisest choice, but Liaise just means to speak to people in other organisations to exchange information.

That is fulfilled by the fact they emailed Alan, and Alan responded. It isn’t a lie to say they liaised. Although in many cases the word would imply more than that, it doesn’t have to.

• wolfshead@toon

Jun 24, 2013 at 11:21 AM

ashley knows joe gets wound up by journos thats why he makes him do interviews its another way for him to laugh his ass off

• JackButler

Jun 24, 2013 at 11:22 AM

For the love of God, someone please shut this nutter up

• Edd Case

Jun 24, 2013 at 11:23 AM

I’m going be singing’ “my old man’s a dustman” all day now, cheers Ed.

• TorqToon

Jun 24, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Can’t wait for the day I read a happy post from Jamsha!!!

He is in an angry place a LOT lately!

• Widowmaker

Jun 24, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Was looking around on WhoScored?Com just now and found something interesting.

Our shots tendencies :

50% – outside the box (3rd)
    4% – In 6 Yards Box (20th)
    46% – In 18 Yards Box (14th)

QPR and Spurs are the two teams that have higher tendencies of shoting from outside of the box. Reasons? QPR is simply a crap team with a few good individual players and Spurs have Bale (who makes lots of long shots with/without purposes, AVB just let him doing that!).

On the other hand, only 4% of our attempts are inside the 6 yards box and some ppl are telling me they want to have Bent signed…

Seriously, Bent is not what we need.

• blew

Jun 24, 2013 at 11:29 AM

It is time the Kinnear/Shearer was put to bed, we have had it every day since Monday. Give it a rest.

• rwpoynter

Jun 24, 2013 at 11:30 AM

scout@3
    Einstein also said it was harder to crack a prejudice than an atom!
    I don’t think Joe Kinnear is a good appointment, but the best thing that can happen is that everybody shuts up and hopefully the players can do the talking on the pitch.

• ToonDarnSarf

Jun 24, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Lilongwe

Agreed. “Liaise” does imply a certain degree of cooperation, rather than what seemed to have happened which is that the club simply informed Shearer. Presumably Shearer replied with something like “Thanks for letting me know” and that appeared as Shearer was “appreciative”.

But articles and many fans on here would have you believe that the club lied to us.

I think they should have been less ambiguous on the wording given the sensitivity, but the club didn’t lie. In fact Shearer and the club are saying the same thing.

• scout

Jun 24, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Post 22

Love it mate

• JackButler

Jun 24, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Cardiff have apparently agreed a fee for Ince

• scout

Jun 24, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Pardew probably told Kinnear left wing is sweet we have a man who can’t cross a ball, falls over all game and passes sideways every time.

• fatman

Jun 24, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Joe Kinnear’s a dunceman, he wears a duncemans hat, he is a pikey gobshi*e, & always sounds like a prat.

• jonobbad

Jun 24, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Well I really think he won’t be here in 12 months anyway.
    He will fail in the job as he is too out of date with barely any experience with modern players.
    His name is very fitting.
    The sooner the better.

• RichY

Jun 24, 2013 at 1:35 PM

i wasnt brought up on a council estate… does that mean i dont have a work hard ethic. i’m confused.

• Sav

Jun 25, 2013 at 1:25 AM

He’s done with insulting everybody and moves on to patronising. I prefer him spitting spleen than ingratiating himself. Llambias wasn’t much of a yardstick of success. Its a measure of Joe’s screwing up that some even wish Llambias was back. Has Kinnear shown he’s likely to be a smart negotiator and someone able to represent the club abroad? Is he hell. Get the fk out of it!