The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

No Bids Yet For Newcastle Striker Target

11:45 pm, Saturday, June 29th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 71 Comments

29-year-old Darren Bent will not be at Aston Villa come September, but whether he will be at Newcastle will depend almost completely on whether Newcastle can get a decent deal for  the England International.

darren bent

Darren Bent – Newcastle only interested if they get good deal

The Sunday People is reporting that Aston Villa have yet to receive any official bids for the former Tottenham and Charlton striker.

There was news just over a week ago that Newcastle made an enquiry about the striker, so  that may not be true.

The People is saying that Aston Villa hope to get £8M for the striker they paid over £18M for just two and a half years ago, but we don’t think Mike Ashley will pay that amount for a 29 year-old.

It all depends on Newcastle getting this player for less than £6M, although Alan Pardew is keen to reunite with the striker he managed in Darren’s best scoring spell in the Premier League, when both were at Charlton Athletic.

Darren scored 37 goals in 79 games while at Charlton Athletic.

But Darren started only 12 games for Aston Villa last season, and hardly played in the second half of the season, as new manager Paul Lambert may have had orders not to play him too much, so Villa didn’t have to pay out any more bonuses to Sunderland.

The initial deal was £18M plus add-ons,  that could add up to £24M in total – not a good deal for Aston Villa.

Newcastle will not pay  the £8M that Villa want for the 29 year-old – maybe up to £5M?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

71 responses so far ↓

• 1 gonufc (not Arf' bad) // Jun 29, 2013 at 11:51 PM

Probably the one signing I want least out of them all.

• 2 kevymartins // Jun 30, 2013 at 12:05 AM

The signing I don’t want at all, would be better taking our money else where and bringing in a younger player.

• 3 dmac // Jun 30, 2013 at 12:05 AM

I would be devastated if we signed this heap of turd.

• 4 jimmysmith // Jun 30, 2013 at 12:06 AM

I like Darren Bent, but if we do sign him I’ll hang my head because it seems to me one of the greatest things about the club is its current transfer policy of finding young, cheap, top talent and Bent is far from that, in fact he’s the very opposite and that wouldn’t augur well for any prospect at all of a real crack at the top 6 when you consider all the other nonsense that’s gone on under Ash.

• 5 Spotlight Kid // Jun 30, 2013 at 12:07 AM

@1

Even less than Grant Holt…? Remember, he’s a local(ish) lad, and currently living in Cumbria – so much nearer to Newcastle than Norwich. £2m max, scores goals, works hard, likes 4-4-2. Good for 3 more seasons instead of Strolla-off-the-bench. He looks like the JFK/PP type to me.

• 6 jamesnufc86 // Jun 30, 2013 at 12:11 AM

I’ve reluctantly bought into Ashley’s strategy of buying younger players with potential. Bent would score goals maybe even 15-20 given he starts every game. But, he is very similar to Cisse , doesn’t contribute much apart from goals, needs the chances created for him. And at 29 just seems like a deal not worth bothering about

• 7 Newcastle Brown Alien // Jun 30, 2013 at 12:15 AM

Good, hopefully paper talk that we want him

• 8 ONLINE GUY // Jun 30, 2013 at 12:18 AM

Home grown players tads ! you have spent the last half hour having to look for them !.. that just proves my point case shut and closed .

That list of yours would amount to 2 and a half teams with subs ..!

I think you make my point for me ..you’r even arguing about the fact I said home grown players ..my context was the players that had a better time of it in the 70′s breaking through into the firsts .and you even argue about that .

.Don’t try your strawman poll tactics with me …won’t work ..and you go on about an old man dreaming of yesteryear ! hahahah You are really sad ..I am talking of present day situation when it comes to a player breaking through ..not yesteryear as you say twisting my words..you’r getting on that old/ dinosoar thing again ..have you got something against older and wiser people ..goes without saying …Wiser ..and maybe not as angry as you are ..you really come across as a really sad angry person ..now I’m away for a beer tads ..lighten up man stop blaming the coaches ..

You are keeping up this argument slagging of the coaches when really I can see through what’s wrong ..your arguing with yourself ..Its a bit inane to be trying to slag off everything that someone writes and expresses an opinion ..you’r arguing with yourself man can’t you see .?.google it ..check out the psycho pages.

• 9 ONLINE GUY // Jun 30, 2013 at 12:23 AM

TAds and others that slag of the coaching at Newcastle .If you spent a month.. nay..say one week with Peter Beardsley you would regret every post you ever made against them on this blog ..really you would ..

The Slagging seems to come from last seasons scrape with the wrong end of the table ..well just think about it a moment ……mmmm….. ..it might well have been the club’s Owner/management at fault ..one signing to a squad that was about to embark on at least 10+ extra european games .. giving Pardew , and on reflection his coaches, a weaker hand to play .. then new players in january ..take a while to get up to speed .

It is Not the Coaching ..Thats my opinion .

Now is tad’s going to continue slagging me off for my own, well meant, factual pinion…He seems like the type that could cause an argument in an empty lift

• 10 toonarmydownsouth // Jun 30, 2013 at 12:29 AM

Online
    Jeeeeezzzzzz
    Ffs man you keep blabbing the same dated opinion of how it’s the foreigners face it NUFCs coaching set up is more dated than the wife beater, acid wash jeans and mullet your rocking

• 11 jimmysmith // Jun 30, 2013 at 12:31 AM

yeah, I think it’s hard to fairly criticize the manager and coaches after being left so short squad wise last season. Ashley and Kinnear need to give them the squad to succeed first and foremost. But you do get the sense that our approach to the coaching side of things is far less progressive than our attitude to transfers. There seems to be a disconnect there.

• 12 ONLINE GUY // Jun 30, 2013 at 12:45 AM

Tads Iv ran rings around you all night and you cant face or argue in reality to anything I’v said other than to continue to slag of anything I say, be it right or What you say is wrong ..

Im having a beer now Tads and it would be great if we could sit down together and have a beer together I dont think you would be as childish as you are when your behind the keyboard ..

You gotta admit man your arguing for arguing sake ..heres a story for you Tads

A guy rang me up for a Guitar last week ..he was asking me questions ..this and that.. you know … old amp Vox AC30 blah Blah..he was asking me questions and seemed to be flapping about ..getting out of breath …then I heard slap slap slap ..I then realised he was having a W a n k

Your not doing that are you tads ..when you’r talking to me ?

• 13 RonVanDam // Jun 30, 2013 at 12:52 AM

Other important thing that gets missed out alot is giving english lessons to the french players so messages on and off the field dont get lost in translation

• 14 toonarmydownsouth // Jun 30, 2013 at 12:52 AM

Online
    To be honest I doubt your old enough to drink, everything you have said can be argued, because it is merely your opinion your attempting to fob off as fact

I imagine that story is true, but you’ve edited it slightly, just hope you wiped your hands off when the bloke hung up

• 15 jonobbad // Jun 30, 2013 at 12:54 AM

This is actually quite entertaining.
    Watching online guys delusion get from bad to worse.

• 16 ONLINE GUY // Jun 30, 2013 at 12:55 AM

Tads I am saying that its the overseas players blocking progress of our youth coming through to some degree, where at one time in British football the route to the first team.. was more open ,,thats all ..now am I right ? .

• 17 ONLINE GUY // Jun 30, 2013 at 12:58 AM

JOnnobadd ..bring it on son ..what delusion are you aluding to?????????????..

• 18 jeff // Jun 30, 2013 at 12:59 AM

adblock has blocked EIGHT advertisements on this single page for me….

jeezzzzzz……. raking in the cash

• 19 ONLINE GUY // Jun 30, 2013 at 12:59 AM

tads ..please give an answer to question at 16 .

• 20 jonobbad // Jun 30, 2013 at 1:01 AM

1st delusion. We have a class youth set up
    2nd delusion. You have been running circles round tads all night

And many more in between

• 21 jeff // Jun 30, 2013 at 1:02 AM

ONLINE GUY… it is more a problem of pardew. he wont play youth players if he doesnt have to. look at managers like ferguson, wenger etc alternating the bench and tinkering the starting xi every now and then, integrating youth players.

• 22 toonarmydownsouth // Jun 30, 2013 at 1:05 AM

Online
    No there were no foreigners because they weren’t allowed
    So how come the Mackems and smoggies have managed to establish better academy’s?

I’m sure Beardsley will tell you next time your both hanging out….

We don’t have the youth coming through because our youngsters are left to rot in the reserves til they are 20/21 then put on loan in Scotland whilst are coaches scratch there heads wondering why they never filled there potential

• 23 ONLINE GUY // Jun 30, 2013 at 1:05 AM

Jeff , Yes its easier to do For say MAn U blooding the youth in the League Cup etc ..your correct. cheers.

• 24 jonobbad // Jun 30, 2013 at 1:06 AM

Hang on
    I dont like pardew at all but its not his fault our youth players aint good enough. Its the youth coaches fault.

• 25 ONLINE GUY // Jun 30, 2013 at 1:06 AM

And whats stopping our youngsters graduating to the first team TADS ?

• 26 toonarmydownsouth // Jun 30, 2013 at 1:07 AM

Jono
    Agreed, our youth set up has been a mess way before pardew was even on the seen

• 27 toonarmydownsouth // Jun 30, 2013 at 1:08 AM

*scene even!

• 28 ONLINE GUY // Jun 30, 2013 at 1:08 AM

JOnnobad how is it the coaches fault? ..have you been around the daily sessions ..how would you know its the youth team coaches fault ?

• 29 toonarmydownsouth // Jun 30, 2013 at 1:09 AM

Online
    Because they have zero experience at any competitive level and are subjected to sub standard reserve league coaching

Why the hell do you think they don’t step up

• 30 ONLINE GUY // Jun 30, 2013 at 1:10 AM

TAds..that post of yours at 22 ..your just starting to talk gibberish now man ..how can i answer something that makes no sense

• 31 ONLINE GUY // Jun 30, 2013 at 1:12 AM

Tads would you say they would graduate to the first team and have more chance to do so if we had a limit on overseas players ?

• 32 toonarmydownsouth // Jun 30, 2013 at 1:13 AM

Online
    Don’t answer, save yourself the embarrassment

• 33 ONLINE GUY // Jun 30, 2013 at 1:15 AM

Tads answer the question @ 31

• 34 Mister Tuff // Jun 30, 2013 at 1:15 AM

online guy – interesting you talking about old amps -I think I’ve read that you are a musician. I’ve got a collection of old amps -some for restoration -mostly 1970′s 1980′s stuff -Carlsbro, Wem, H&H.
    Anyway -back to your Vox AC30 – what version was it, valve or solid state – can you tell me a bit more about it.

• 35 toonarmydownsouth // Jun 30, 2013 at 1:15 AM

Online
    No they wouldn’t graduate, why? Because they would still be poor players ffs how xenophobic can you get?
    There not graduating because they are not being coached and developed to a standard high enough to succeed
    That’s work ethic and ability ffs not nationality

• 36 Mister Tuff // Jun 30, 2013 at 1:16 AM

online – the last sentence was a joke by the way.

• 37 ONLINE GUY // Jun 30, 2013 at 1:20 AM

You see tads its not the Coaches.. it’s the overseas players that halt the progress ..a young player won’t get in to the firsts if there is an accomplished player in his position..He then cant grow and gain valuable experience …thus reflecting badly on the Coaching System ..and then blind men like you come along with no idea and run your mouth off ..

• 38 Blofal // Jun 30, 2013 at 1:31 AM

We need playmakers. We should find a CF/ST who primarily is an assist god. Cisse is a poacher and one of the best at scoring out of nothing. He just needs some decent service instead of hoof ball. He is not a holding striker. I think for 25m we should let Cabaye go. He has peaked and although a great player for us, is not irreplaceable for half that amount. Plus Anita deserves a decent run. He didnt get many opportunities last season which was a disgrace considering some of the B grade teams we fielded. Tiote to Russia is fine too.

• 39 ONLINE GUY // Jun 30, 2013 at 1:35 AM

HI Tuff ..good to see your name crop up on the blog this late hour ..

Iv had 5 or 6 Vox Ac 30′s. got one here 1968..Sweet as hell..amazing tone when hooked up with Anything really..LP/Strat/Tele…that last sentence of yours Tuff could be true ..a mate has a solid state AC30 ..later job, copy .

I did have a 1964 job and was from a mate of Paul MCartney. absolute mint condition..I was offered silly money for it ..its now in Australia ..I cant even talk about it without a tear in me Eye ! …Iv got a Carlsbro wee thing in the shed ..a marshall
    ANcient god knows what marshall in summer house and an H&H and a marshall acoustic amp . theres another acoustic amp make mm? and a Crissakes cant think of the name …got some strange stuff mate..for folky gigs …christ there is a lot but my garage is full from back to front ,,and that after clearing it out a few years back ..I did a full music studio out with stuff I didnt use ..the pa gear was a nightmare far tooo much ..all good stuff mind .. wee pignose …theres other stuff ..I have a decent acoustic guitar collection …jUst sold a Gibson J45 Tobacco Sunburst and kept my old one ..saying that i was Pestered for it for years from mate …all good fun ..it was only 1992 so not so vintage.

• 40 09nufc09 // Jun 30, 2013 at 1:38 AM

Imo english coaching is terrible, if you watch the youth teams play then you will see how poor our youth players are. In the u21 euros england didnt win a match and got beat by the likes of isreal. In the u20 world cup england again didnt win a match and got beat by egypt, being outplayed in every game and playing long ball football. The players looked scared of the ball and they are supposed to be the best young players england have, the only explanation can be that the coaching isnt good enough.

• 41 ONLINE GUY // Jun 30, 2013 at 1:46 AM

Tads I love overseas players coming in ..They bring a lot to our league ..you can’t deny we are swamped at each and every club in the prem ..can you ? and go to hell with your xenophobic S H IT

I can see you’r the type of dummy that likes to put words into peoples mouths with sneaky manipulation of the truth and what’s been said..just look up strawman poll everyone, and see where this Xankerphobic is coming from ..cant even answer a simple question because it kills his argument stone dead ..

• 42 ONLINE GUY // Jun 30, 2013 at 1:52 AM

Tads you accuse me of Xenophobia when I have never ever made reference to anything or made any statement akin to, or giving you reason to make that statement, in front of readers of this blog ..for that I will come down hard on you ..I need an apology right now and I won’t take it any further ..the evidence is there for all to see ..you said it and you have 2 mins..you have twisted my thoughts on Football to mean something else.

• 43 Mister Tuff // Jun 30, 2013 at 2:01 AM

online – interesting stuff – my first guitar was a left handed Watkins Rapier 33 – wished I still had it- would be worth a bit. Currently use an Ibanez Roadstar and latest is a headless Steinburger -nice and easy to use. The amps I’ve got are mainly all old British -sounded better that the Chinese stuff. just sorted out a nice Carlsbro Reverb Unit -had to get a new spring tank and altered the circuit board to accept a new transformer -works a treat- going to sort out another but I’ve just got an old just about empty circuit board -but I’ve got all the part to do it -save for a new reverb tank -Accutronics tanks were the originals -but they’ve being bought out by a far eastern outfit. Plenty of jobs though for a winters night.

• 44 ONLINE GUY // Jun 30, 2013 at 2:11 AM

Tuff IM just go let dog out 2 tic’s ..

• 45 ONLINE GUY // Jun 30, 2013 at 2:24 AM

TUff ..I did not mind the debate with tads until he accused me and twisted everything I had said on a football level to that of being xenophobic and against foreigners ..how can someone twist something to that extent for all to see …that’s serious stuff..I did’nt mind it as normal rugby club type/dressing room type banter .. but thats another level .

Sister in laws son Played for Barbados in the world cup Aztec stadium etc qualifiers the lot ..I love him. I Know lot’s of people, all noble nationalities ..I’m seething .at the slur.

• 46 AMEOBI // Jun 30, 2013 at 2:25 AM

Online,

Shut your mouth you little shrekhead! Talking for the sake of it.. brush your teeth kid

• 47 LGFUAD21 // Jun 30, 2013 at 2:28 AM

Ok. Out of who we have been linked with does bent compare?

Being realistic from a teams that seems to be unstable and off the back of a sh.it season would I take bent for 5m?

Proven goal scorer in the prem that was kept out of villa side by a brilliant benteke. Also brings experience.

Sometime I think many toon fans need to lower their expectations.

• 48 ONLINE GUY // Jun 30, 2013 at 2:34 AM

If yer still there Tuff ..I had some watkins job a few years ago ..can t think of model ..I have old martins and not so old Martins ..Just got me a Gibson J165 for finger style..Iv got to think about what i have as I always miss stuff out ..Iv got a Guitar that supposedly belonged to Ritchie Blackmore ..its an old 60′s late I think K yari .. Like a Martin D18.. I swapped a 1964 Gibson Les Paul for an old Martin D28 1964! the les Paul was the first les paul shape looked like the SG now almost it was an ivory paint job and was a deluxe with gold all over it ..1964-5 ish..I guess it was worth about £12-13 k the gold looked old, really had the spook.. I had a Watkins amp like v shaped thing green and cream ..some nutter gave me £1k for it ..I see the copies are now £1.200 ! yikes.

• 49 ONLINE GUY // Jun 30, 2013 at 2:36 AM

Ameobi..do I know you ? whats up ?

• 50 Mister Tuff // Jun 30, 2013 at 2:41 AM

online – the curse of UK football is too much money from mainly Sky (not forgetting ultra rich owner and the Russian mafia money). Whilst Sky are good at covering games -the silly money being paid does allow clubs to buy in talent rather than develop it. Progressive clubs realise that this situation cannot be maintained – hence more investment in academies etc -possibly the model El Gourdo wants. Financial Fair play is a good concept- but the likes of Man City will flout the rules -the owner Mansoor is closely related to the boss of the airline who sponsor City basically all the same family -does make the rules a bit of a joke – financial caps -strictly enforced may resolve it -but who knows. anyway it’s late and I’m off to the pit.

• 51 ONLINE GUY // Jun 30, 2013 at 2:42 AM

Well Im off to watch Tommy Saxondale ,,before I get bogged down in some useless debate about say what’s a shreck head ? mmm have to think about that abuse and act on it next time I see Ameobi’s name crop up on this ere blog..cant wait son so stand by ..you lit the fuse ..it will burn long and slow but we will meet again after the dogs abuse you give me for no reason… you’r noted Ameobi .

.I’m watching you now. you just picked on the wrong Fella.

• 52 ONLINE GUY // Jun 30, 2013 at 2:49 AM

I Tuff I did see the £400 million from Mansoor’s bro …..as soon as the new rules were mooted they did the deal at man city ..I was looking through old league tables ..one not so many years back ..Keegan was playing second season with us I recollect .think sheff wed were top (second division) chelsea 2nd,, uz then Man City I think. …times have changed ..those clubs are not as big as Newcastle historically ..In fact they are thinking of bulldozing Stamford Bridge down ..Cant believe they are throwing away 7 years of history just like th…….

• 53 ONLINE GUY // Jun 30, 2013 at 2:57 AM

Tuff Check out Saxondale ..if you dont already know its a comedy sit com really ..bout an ex roadie.. its really well written… excellent writing ..did I already say that ?… hmmff

I think they have cut a lot out of it on youtube ..iv got the box sets here .. so gonna have a swatch.. all best mate.

Goodnight Ameobi…..Sleep well, for tomorrow, the fun begins .

• 54 Charlietoon // Jun 30, 2013 at 3:01 AM

I dont love him but if he was our new Ameobi, the guy we used in early cup rounds, the go to guy off the bench, the one that would nab a goal in the last ten minutes I’d want him as I think he would be a lot better than our current Ameobi.

• 55 JAMSHA // Jun 30, 2013 at 4:32 AM

official bid for pea soon

• 56 gonufc (not Arf' bad) // Jun 30, 2013 at 5:07 AM

@JAMSHA – that just optimistic posting?

Was dissappointed to hear that double bid for Zouma + PEA was apparently false. Seemed too good to be true.

NUFC Statement 1/9/2013:
    “Unfortunately we just couldn’t get them over the line in time due to the large changes in staff occurring through the summer….”

• 57 JAMSHA // Jun 30, 2013 at 5:37 AM

gonufc (not Arf’ bad)

one of my mate told me…. hope its true fingers crossd

• 58 jimmysmith // Jun 30, 2013 at 5:43 AM

I think Newcastles relatively inability to bring young players through has to reflect somewhat on the quality of the youth set up, but perhaps more so on the size of the gap in standards between reserve team football and the the Premier League as well as the weight of the Newcastle shirt.

Lower league clubs can throw a young player in with talent and he`ll do a job, as the standard isnt really anywhere near as high as the EPL. Added to that, Newcastle is not an easy team to play for, the expectations are sky high and so is the level of angst. I`ve been at St James a few times where the anxiety of the crowd is palpable.

Keegan gave the reserves away didnt he. I guess cos he felt it was pointless having them. I disagreed with that, but the set up would have to be excellent, and its safe to say I think, its been far from that in living memory.

• 59 Ben3arfa // Jun 30, 2013 at 7:25 AM

So much for being a target, where is that moron Kinnear? readying himself for his next embarrassing interview

• 60 Jail for Ashley // Jun 30, 2013 at 8:29 AM

I wonder when Kinnear will make Pardew tell us that the squad is so much better now we have everybody bedded in and that we were one step ahead of everybody else by doing all our business last January !

• 61 WWYCD // Jun 30, 2013 at 8:32 AM

Morning chaps, still no Bent bid? If we aren’t careful we will miss out on this star man I mean look at the other clubs linked with him….

• 62 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jun 30, 2013 at 8:36 AM

Morning!

Yo…no need to worry, Bent’s going nowhere. His fee is not going to be his biggest problem, but his wage demand and agent fee.

He’ll go on loan to WBA, Fulham or a club like that. Could even see Sunderland loaning him ;-)

• 63 WWYCD // Jun 30, 2013 at 8:38 AM

jesper
    What?! He’s our number 1 target isn’t he?! Oh dear what are we to do now :(

• 64 harrizoom // Jun 30, 2013 at 8:39 AM

Online guy

I was at newcastle academy coaching session last week for over 3 hours, the coaches were doing a drill which ment the players had to get the balm from one end of the pitch to the other in under 8 seconds with the emphasis being short quick passing, now i recon when a tean is closing you down there isnt any chance of you gettig the ball down the pitch that quick which results in passing being poor and resulting to long ball tactics, now do those tactics spring to mind with anybother team hmmmm

• 65 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jun 30, 2013 at 8:40 AM

Yo…I know what hasa the world come too ;-) lol

On a side note I have heard we are resigning the missing Ameobi brother so we can field a front three Ameobi attack this season :-D

• 66 WWYCD // Jun 30, 2013 at 8:44 AM

jesper
    Haha Ameobi trifecta? Stuff dreams are made of! Bring on the new season then, there’s only three Ameobis!

• 67 toonarmydownsouth // Jun 30, 2013 at 9:01 AM

@NUFC_Stats: Aston Villa confirm that they have had NO bids for Darren Bent – but Newcastle are keen #nufc

Nooooooooooooooo the dizzy dizzy heights of our ambition!!!

Meanwhile in Cardiff, the newly promoted fizzy pop team………….
    @PureTransfers: Cardiff City have now summited an improved bid for Benfica striker Oscar Cardozo after having their €12 million offer rejected.

• 68 toon22 // Jun 30, 2013 at 9:05 AM

JK is on the phone to anyone in world football he likes being told to F off

• 69 sparky55 // Jun 30, 2013 at 9:11 AM

IMO we’re waiting for Cisse’s future to be sorted before we make our move for Bent. We’re defo going after a big name centre forward and that would give us two good centre forwards with Shola and Campbell in reserve.

If however Cisse does want to leave, then we’ll be in for Bent to bridge the gap.

That’s how I see it playing out…I think Cisse wants to go back to Germany.

• 70 John Tudor // Jun 30, 2013 at 9:28 AM

if the coaches are so great the material must be bollox

• 71 a3rox // Jun 30, 2013 at 11:07 AM

I will be gutted if we sign this guy, it would feel like a step back, I hope that if they do sign him that he is nothing more than a back up and we still get a top stiker in

previous post: Newcastle’s New Home Shirt For Next Season