The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Target Buys Out Contract – Magpies In For Him?

10:02 pm, Sunday, June 30th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 110 Comments

Newcastle were reported to have put a bid in for French defensive midfielder Willaim Vainqueur, on the last day of the January transfer window.

William Vainqueur 987

William Vainqueur – free agent

The Belgium newspaper L’Avenir reported in January that Newcastle put in a bid for Standard Liege’s William Vainqueur:

“Newcastle, which already has eleven French players could make an offer to Standard in the coming hours to attract William Winner, who has been scouted a dozen times, and three times by the head recruiter (Graham Carr). The Magpies, are poorly placed in the league (16th), but have been very active this winter, and have prepared a bid – with Vainqueur’s value set at €6M.”

And today the Belgium newspaper Walloon is reporting the player has bought out his contract at Standard Liege yesterday, and that may have cost a pretty penny,  since it still had three years to run, but he now becomes a free agent – and we wonder if this has been done in collusion with Newcastle?

There’s a good possibility that the right footed Vainqueur is in communication with Newcastle,  and he could be on his way to Newcastle – so this is an interesting development.

In January both Southampton and Tottenham were also said to be interested in the player,  with his club at that time wanting around €6M (£5.1M) for him.

Newcastle were linked with the player after it was revealed he had fallen out with the Standard Liege coach Mircea Rednic, and at that time, the report was that Newcastle were preparing an offer for the player.

And there is news breaking that Newcastle are indeed in contact with the player – which would not be too surprising if indeed we tried to sign this lad in January.

William played once for the French U21 side and was at Nantes until 2011,  when he signed on at Belgium side Standard Liege on a five year contract.

He played 39 times last season for Standard Liege with four goals and two assists and in total has played 81 times for Liege with five goals,  in his two seasons in the Jupiler Pro League.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

110 responses so far ↓

• 1 dantoon85 // Jun 30, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Another player linked but still no one signed

• 2 Galtierez // Jun 30, 2013 at 10:12 PM

Thought he was a Kiev player now?

• 3 LGFUAD21 // Jun 30, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Shame.

What frustrates me the most is the potential newcastle has to be a top club, we just need someone to make better decisions.

People talk about the cockney mafia etc but that’s a cop out. I genuinely believe that mike Ashley wants to build a good team I just think he is ill informed and almost doesn’t trust people he doesn’t know which is why he has appointed JFK rather than a good Dior of football.

Pardew may not be the most tactically able manager but his man management skills are there for all to see. It’s funny because I just hired an assistant at work and my director told me something interesting.

“Bad managers steer away from hiring anybody they think could do something better than themselves, good managers hire those they know will do things better”

most of Ashley’s decisions are meant well they are juste executed poorly.

Director of football? Well we need someone to sort out our academy and ensure we develop a nice playing style.

Stadium? A much as it bastardises history, it is a extra revenue and a lot of clubs across Europe are doing it.

Any Carroll sale? Would you have turned that offer down, it built us a squad that finished 5th.

Hughton? The harshest and most puzzling I’d say. But I half understood the desire of ma to appoint someone to take us to the next level. Don’t understand how he came to pardew though.

Keenan is the only truly inexcusable thing he has done in terms of there being no positive motive behind it.

BEFORe YOU JUMP DOWN MY ThROAT

I’m not supporting Ashley, I’m just taking a diplomatic point of view. Where is the logic in thinking ma is trying to sabotage our club?

• 4 bills-son // Jun 30, 2013 at 10:16 PM

Rooster – very good posts.

• 5 OhSholaAmeobi // Jun 30, 2013 at 10:23 PM

If anyone didn’t know Isimat-Mirin signed for Monaco, Chedjou signed for Galatasaray, Mbokani signed for Dynamo Kyiv, Bony is about to sign for Swansea and Ince is signing for Cardiff.
    Personally none of these really bother me cos’ none of them are great shakes.
    #Zouma+PEA+Biabany

• 6 sparky55 // Jun 30, 2013 at 10:25 PM

Why would be buying yet another midfielder unless Cabs / tiote are leaving.

We’ve got Anita, sissoko, Perch Cabs and Tiote so why the need for another midfielder unless we’re losing someone.

It’s a clear indication we’re losing some midfielders

• 7 mobafemi // Jun 30, 2013 at 10:26 PM

What? This is a no go, we dont want these stupid frenchies. We need good old british talent like james tomkins and darren bent. You pay the extra bit for them mind, but they are top notch and just look at great clubs like liverpool who invested huge money in british talent and are now sailing!! I hear carlton cole is a free agent, and why not put in a cheeky bid for kevin phillips?? HWTL

• 8 OhSholaAmeobi // Jun 30, 2013 at 10:27 PM

If Joke decides Perch isn’t good enough i’m gonna hunt him down. Want to get Perchinho on the back of the new top.

• 9 ~ Phoenix Warrior Perch~ // Jun 30, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Will he vanquier everything that is wonga with the club?

• 10 OhSholaAmeobi // Jun 30, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Does it really matter what country they come from? British players are overhyped and sh***. I’d have a team full of french if it meant we were challenging for europe.

• 11 Galtierez // Jun 30, 2013 at 10:31 PM

Perch should not be sold, what would we get £3 million. If that is all it is going to cost £4 or £5 million to get a similar squad player of similar age. It’s Aaaron Hughes all over again-stupid.

• 12 mobafemi // Jun 30, 2013 at 10:37 PM

Belhanda must have some self esteem issues, i mean why would he want to go to villa?? Are they the only team in for him because he remins me so much of ben arfa but he can pass. Would be delighted if he signed!!

• 13 jimmysmith // Jun 30, 2013 at 10:38 PM

Well meaning or otherwise, he certainly would have known that those decisions would be alienate swathes of fans, for what seems little financial reward relatively speaking. He didn’t need to make any of those antagonistic decisions, the Carroll deal aside, but despite all that I still see us having made progress under Ashley, but it could have, should have, should be, that much better.

• 14 Rooster // Jun 30, 2013 at 10:44 PM

I believe we spent anymore than anyone else in the last window apart from one I think, we know maybe they should have been brought in that summer but it was tried to put right, last season wasn’t good, of course its a forum air your views, if I don’t like them I will challenge them im no fence sitter, I have my opinion challenged enough, in his business life he has not ever came out and been seen and not just NUFC.

Only KK of all that have worked for him have ever criticised him, he got his money for it and moved on, have you ever heard of anyone else employed by him who has had a go, im not talking joey barton by the way??? he is really respected, makes massive unpopular decisions at times, not just to piss on your cornflakes but decisions he feels are right for him and his business, which will benefit our club in the long run, I don’t feel we are in a bad place whatsoever even with JK, far from it.

• 15 Steven Lough // Jun 30, 2013 at 10:45 PM

Well i would have this fella top quality player .
    I say Again i would let cabs go as his head isnt in the toon.
    I habe no doubt joke will shut the muppets up with carr and his scouting .
    I do not condone his stupid comments but do unlike most others thonk he may well do a job .a job better than mr lambeezee.
    Who in my opinion isnt a football man as joke is .
    Regardless of opinions he knows football .

• 16 jimmysmith // Jun 30, 2013 at 10:49 PM

Well, this is a guy capable of doing so much more with Newcastle, and to be amply rewarded for doing so and not just monetarily, I mean how much do you need and how much of a priority should it be, but chooses not too, as a fan that’s a bitter pill to swallow.

• 17 Tinman - Pardwho? // Jun 30, 2013 at 10:49 PM

Wouldnt want a player who buys themselves out of their contract. Stinks of bad attitude

• 18 Tinman - Pardwho? // Jun 30, 2013 at 10:53 PM

Looking forwards to Spain v Brazil. Hopefully Brazil will smash the bastards. Just as long as the game doesnt get spoiled by Spain passing it along the back 4 for 90mins…

• 19 Steven Lough // Jun 30, 2013 at 10:53 PM

Maybe so tinman but it may also show how.much he wants to go to dare i saya it newcatle utd .

• 20 Rooster // Jun 30, 2013 at 10:57 PM

Jinky, im sure he would have know decisions he has been made at times have been and would be unpopular but they are done for the good of NUFC as he sees it, I may have mentioned this before but the big baseball n American football n ice hockey clubs have had their names changed by new owners, decisions that have hurt terribly I would imagine, but is the way of the world in big business, Feelings in big business don’t come in to it, they are ruthless like MA, but I can tell you even he would not change our name, so he must have a wee bit of a heart ha ha???

• 21 jimmysmith // Jun 30, 2013 at 10:59 PM

Spain, take the game to a new level and fans inevitably fans turn against them. “No good deed goes unpunished”.

But I agree, hope Brazil smash em, amby pamby, ticky tacky, bollox or whatever it’s called.

• 22 Macas // Jun 30, 2013 at 11:02 PM

Tinman – Gutierrez cancelled his contract before coming here, yet his attitude has been outstanding.

• 23 Joe Blog // Jun 30, 2013 at 11:03 PM

Wonder if Kinnearache is up watching Brazil vs Spain, hoping for Hicky Carsillyarse and Julie Seizure to have to pick the ball out the net over and over?

There’s 1 already! Unlucky Casillyarse, at least he’ll get the name Fred correct.

• 24 Tinman - Pardwho? // Jun 30, 2013 at 11:03 PM

Fred! Sign him up. ;)

• 25 santonthenewmaldini // Jun 30, 2013 at 11:03 PM

For me one of the biggest problems was our defensive midfield the likes of Tiote does not possess all the qualities needed to be amazing in the role he can tackle and that is it even then he is reckless this lad would be an upgrade because he can pass, tackle and is disciplined enough to protect the back 4

Too many games our defensive midfielders just let opposition mid just run right past them the Sunderland and Liverpool games were the worst and who was the defensive mid in that game?

Get this guy in on a free transfer sell Tiote for about 8 million to some Russian team and use the money to go towards a winger job done

• 26 mikeashleyisamackem // Jun 30, 2013 at 11:06 PM

another made up story by ed based on blind hope and another free transfer to talk about if he was that good his club would have him on a new deal

• 27 mikeashleyisamackem // Jun 30, 2013 at 11:07 PM

zero ambition if this the type a deals we are getting

• 28 Joe Blog // Jun 30, 2013 at 11:11 PM

Ohh shut up, Mikeashleyisamackem, you kvetch, wet c***!

• 29 mikeashleyisamackem // Jun 30, 2013 at 11:11 PM

this my last post as i have actually given up on newcastle while fat mike takes us down am suprised they never renamed st james the titanic the sinking ship

• 30 Macas // Jun 30, 2013 at 11:13 PM

mikeashleyisamackem – Did you actually read the article? His club won’t be offering him a new deal as it’s his decision to leave, hence buying out his own contract. And we have been strongly linked to this player in the past which is why Ed has posted an article.

• 31 tequilamag // Jun 30, 2013 at 11:20 PM

@Joe Blog Kvetch, great word and applies to a whole lot of people on this blog.

• 32 Tinman - Pardwho? // Jun 30, 2013 at 11:21 PM

Macas, fair enough that is a good example. How about I mention Obafemi Martins who bought out his contract to go play in America. Low standard high wages. Bailed out on us when we went down.

Every good example you come up with, there is at least one bad example.

• 33 Macas // Jun 30, 2013 at 11:31 PM

Tinman – I was merely stating that it doesn’t always mean a player has a bad attitude, so think my point was still valid. And as for Martins, I’m pretty sure the club were more than happy to cash in on him when we went down as they needed the money. Just because this lad has bought out his contract doesn’t automatically mean he has a bad attitude, if we sign him then only time will tell..

• 34 Big Pappa Cissé // Jun 30, 2013 at 11:39 PM

Well, just finished my Curry and am currently in a food coma watching the Confed final. I just hope next week we get in gear and start putting some pen to paper on these transfers.

• 35 Big Pappa Cissé // Jun 30, 2013 at 11:45 PM

Cracking finish. Nice to see Spain getting beat for a change mind you :)

• 36 Graeme // Jun 30, 2013 at 11:48 PM

From the Telegraph http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/newcastle-united/10151597/Aston-Villa-striker-Darren-Bent-keen-on-Newcastle-United-move-if-Alan-Pardew-stays-as-manager.html

Now if I was coming to NUFC, after last season, I would also want assurances either A) As a CF, I do not have to learn how to be a RB or B) Pardew is not going to be the Manager.

Maybe Bent has been mis-quoted lol

• 37 Joe Blog // Jun 30, 2013 at 11:48 PM

Glad to see the fun-spirited Brazil dazzle the mechanical Spain! :D

• 38 SeanNufc87 // Jun 30, 2013 at 11:50 PM

Brazil are back.

Game of his life for david Luis

• 39 Joe Blog // Jun 30, 2013 at 11:51 PM

Tequila

They love stewing in their own misery. I’m not saying there isn’t things to have grievances about, I have quite a few myself, but it’s constant and they even twist Ed’s postings to fit.

• 40 toonarmydownsouth // Jun 30, 2013 at 11:51 PM

Mikeashleyisamackem

How is this a made up story by Ed ffs? It’s been confirmed by several media outlets that we have made contact with him after he bought out his contract

Mobafemi
    Talk about spouting shite, belhanda has signed for dinamo kiev

• 41 toonarmydownsouth // Jun 30, 2013 at 11:54 PM

Graeme
    Bent and pards go way way back

• 42 Tommyy // Jun 30, 2013 at 11:56 PM

Well Guthries replacement finally! He cannot be Cabayes.

• 43 Big Pappa Cissé // Jun 30, 2013 at 11:59 PM

@ graeme

No chance getting Bent to defend. A lot of times if he doesn’t score during a game you might as well have fielded ten players. Although this is Pardew we are talking about, I have seen Cisse playing left back FFS.

• 44 pawl250 // Jun 30, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Same old same old, getting old now!

Links links links, and no buys.

Why do you lot even believe this tripe? …. Its an opinion/guess no foundation in it! YET you all swear its true as though the club itself announced the link itself!

Some of you are gullible, look we will sign people but I doubt it will be anyone we have been linked with! Or if it is it certainly won’t be announced beforehand, its only the later stages we actually hear about it!

Bottom line, wait and see before rather than believing everything you read!

All these stories may aswell say we are looking to sign Messi as maybe 9 out of 10 have no foundation. Its all talk and rumour!

• 45 SeanNufc87 // Jul 1, 2013 at 12:03 AM

The bandwagon is going to collapse if everyone doesn’t stop jumping on it

• 46 Big Pappa Cissé // Jul 1, 2013 at 12:06 AM

I wonder how much Fred will cost after this tournament ? .

• 47 SeanNufc87 // Jul 1, 2013 at 12:07 AM

Spanking them now. Iker should have done better.

• 48 Yohan Kebab // Jul 1, 2013 at 12:07 AM

fred. a clinical finisher. lethal with the right service, useless without. same as cisse

• 49 SeanNufc87 // Jul 1, 2013 at 12:09 AM

Fred went back to Brazil because he was home sick if I remember right, been there for years now. Want to say he was playing in Russia before but I might be off

• 50 SeanNufc87 // Jul 1, 2013 at 12:09 AM

Basically I don’t think he wants to leave

• 51 pawl250 // Jul 1, 2013 at 12:12 AM

I agree Sean!

The hilarious thing is people take it as gospel!

You find quotes like the whole Bony situation we have NEVER been after him. I have never read or seen any report with foundation.

The club have denied 2-3 times that we are aswell which even adds to more proof we never wanted him.

YET I still read comments about how we are letting Swansea sign our target, or we are not offering enough!

Its crazy, and I just think would you believe me if I wrote we are signing Ronaldo tomorrow?

Think about it next time you read it!

• 52 SeanNufc87 // Jul 1, 2013 at 12:14 AM

We’re signing Ronaldo? ! UP THE TOON!

• 53 gonufc (not Arf' bad) // Jul 1, 2013 at 12:17 AM

Wow, never seen Ramos miss a penalty I don’t think. Normally spanked in the top corner!

• 54 pawl250 // Jul 1, 2013 at 12:22 AM

Spain are playing awful! Worse I have seen.

Making Brazil look like gods because we expect so much from Spain.

This is the only time the ‘new’ Brazil have impressed me.

We will see but Spain are playing high allowing Brazil to counter efficiently. Spain have 1 play in the book and its not working right now.

I wonder how Spain will cope against a Germany, or Italy team that are 10x the defensive force than Spain.

Brazil have the advantage, but they even looked very average against a poor England team! Spain’s play is like sweets to a fat kid when Brazils counter play is concerned.

The pace is unbelievable and you have Piqué, and Ramos to stop it! Good luck!

Scolari knows and plays for this cos Spain cannot do a Mourinho they need to attack and have possession to play the ‘Spanish’ way.

Disappointed not too see a fully fit, or on the ball Spain tonight. Next year I forsee a replay and it could be very different tonight!

• 55 pawl250 // Jul 1, 2013 at 12:27 AM

As seen.

Piqué! He is overrated! The only reason he gets praise is because Barcelona never really come under defensive strain!

And this will be the Spanish excuse!

He gets brownies for a fit mrs though! Haha

• 56 Big Pappa Cissé // Jul 1, 2013 at 12:40 AM

@ pawl

I agree. Spain are great if you fear them, sit back and let them play. But if you are organized and pressure them as a team they look ordinary. Germany would destroy them IMO, I reckon they will take the world cup home next year as well.

• 57 Joe Blog // Jul 1, 2013 at 12:50 AM

Brazil have had a ‘will not be denied’ attitude from the off. Amazing how much of the game is mental. To relate it back to us, please Pardew, learn from your constant whining of last season, saying every game is “difficult”, complaining if tiredness and generally being negative about the squad and our chances, there’s nothing more debilitating to a clubs morale than hearing the figurehead speak like that – fans and players alike.

• 58 Tommyy // Jul 1, 2013 at 1:10 AM

Immensely difficult to play such a hostile crowd aswell. It’s like playing two teams. Won’t be so bad next year as many more fans will make the trip so won’t be so Brazilian dominant stadia.

• 59 thai-mag // Jul 1, 2013 at 2:26 AM

GREAT, just what we need, a defensive midfield player, if we can get a huge forward to hoof the balls up to, Pardew will be able to play his favorite formation 8-0-2

• 60 terencelim // Jul 1, 2013 at 4:28 AM

@LGFUAD21, and where is the logic in thinking ma is NOT trying to sabotage our club, AFTER all the damage on and off the pitch he has done since arrival?

• 61 p // Jul 1, 2013 at 5:54 AM

Looks like tiote and kebab are on their way oot

• 62 roshan MAGPIE // Jul 1, 2013 at 6:10 AM

awesome video about pardew s tactics

• 63 geordielad880 // Jul 1, 2013 at 6:13 AM

Well from what I have heard its fulham who have tied up a deal to sign Willaim Vainqueur, not us, we had an interest in him, he has definately bought out his contract, he says he will reveal all in the next couple of days and explain his decision why he has done it, and how much he respects the leige supporters, its on his twitter page, take a look if you speak french :-)

• 64 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jul 1, 2013 at 6:17 AM

Morning lads!

Not much news Newcastle related these days; Ed seems to have to draw his own conclusions ;-)

On of the problems last season was that we got off to a bad start in every way possible – sadly I think that is going to happen again!

I had really hoped we would be prepared this season…

• 65 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jul 1, 2013 at 6:25 AM

By the way Maher is off to PSV!

• 66 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jul 1, 2013 at 6:32 AM

Rumors has it he cost between £6-7M!

• 67 NEWEXPATMAGPIE // Jul 1, 2013 at 6:44 AM

I can confirm :

Adam Mahler has gone to PSV for a rumoured fee of 8Mil ?

Has signed a five year deal !

• 68 Jail for Ashley // Jul 1, 2013 at 6:51 AM

I take it Rooster knows Mashley personally after claiming even Mike wouldn’t change our club name, one of those who claimed with a 100% certainty that he learns from his mistakes I presume !!

• 69 HullMag6 // Jul 1, 2013 at 6:51 AM

I feel tiote could be a departing 1st teamer (nearly said purple) as he’s had a bad season on and off the pitch (brushes with the law etc) and could improve our fair play stats. If we are going to play the more expansive game then tiote becomes a squad player at best not a guaranteed starter.

But until the shirt shot I’ll wait and see

• 70 fog on the tyne // Jul 1, 2013 at 7:13 AM

Belhanda has signed for dinamo kiev

• 71 Indian Magpie // Jul 1, 2013 at 7:26 AM

It is 8 million euros 6.5 Million Pounds

• 72 jonobbad // Jul 1, 2013 at 7:34 AM

Who cares? Way too good a player for us.
    Its bent or tompkins maybe both but no one else.
    We have ashley to thank for this.
    Its fair to say ashley only has ambition when it comes to sports direct.
    The sooner MA AP and JFK all f**k off the better

• 73 Rooster // Jul 1, 2013 at 7:42 AM

Jail, MA wont change the toons name in a million years, take it from the rooster.

It could happen if some American buys it of him though, bw careful what you do when you are standing under the stars, your wish may come true!

• 74 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jul 1, 2013 at 8:00 AM

Maher would have been a great signing for us at that price, but one could fear that he would be sitting on the bench next to Anita watching Tiote not being able to make a pass and eventually seing red and Jonas running…just running!!!

• 75 pizzicatochan // Jul 1, 2013 at 8:06 AM

and Tom Ince signed for Cardiff??????????

• 76 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 1, 2013 at 8:10 AM

Jesper,
    Tiote doesn’t make defence splitting passes, but to say he can’t pass is just lazy bandwagon jumping. He actually has had a higher pass completion ration then any other midfielder for us since arriving, and had the 5th highest at the club, higher than Cabs, Marveaux, HBA, Anita, Sissoko….

His problem last season was more getting caught on the ball in bad areas, not his actual passing. Unfortunately his passing is highlighted as on the rare occasions he did misplace passes it led to a chance for the opposition.

Rooster/Jail
    Where has this name changing guff come from? How is an American more likely to change the clubs name? Can you point me in the direction of a precedent set by American owners when changing a top flight Premier League, or even European clubs name?

Hell, the American who owns Bedlington Terriers hasn’t even changed there name.

I doubt either would do it, but no way of saying that one is more or less likely then the other.

• 77 Roy Morten // Jul 1, 2013 at 8:11 AM

I see Villa buys quantity,lets hope we get some quality in soon. If we are buying players from other leagues we must get them prepared for the start of the season ( if we buy anyone)

• 78 bills-son // Jul 1, 2013 at 8:12 AM

Strange – Ashley has no ambition, only wants to sign the likes of Bent and Tomkins yet in Jan we signed Debuchy, Sissoko, Mbiwa, Gouffran and Haidara. Plus we have Cabaye, HBA, Tiote, Santon etc…

Are the above players a sign of Ashley’s lack of ambition?

And remember, but for Llambias screwing up Remy would have signed – all sanctioned by Ashley.

Lack of ambition?

Strange.

• 79 lesh // Jul 1, 2013 at 8:13 AM

Here we are at last. July 1, transfer window officially open and we can expect to hear the ‘kerching’ of the cash register very soon.

Or can we?

• 80 Roy Morten // Jul 1, 2013 at 8:14 AM

Tottenham have bought 2 17year old talants from croatia according to Norwegian news papers.

• 81 estechco // Jul 1, 2013 at 8:16 AM

Oh lordy, what is JFK likely to make of this lads surname!?!

• 82 lesh // Jul 1, 2013 at 8:18 AM

And the race is off and while other clubs are beating us to players, where are we?

Oh wait, we’re still not even in the trap, let alone out of it!!

• 83 Roy Morten // Jul 1, 2013 at 8:19 AM

Bills-son.
    Guess people say lack of ambition because nothing have happened yet and belive what the papers write( Bent,Tomkins) I hope and think we will get 2 quality signings and some youngsters coming in soon.. And if someone leaves they will get replaced.

• 84 Markaccus // Jul 1, 2013 at 8:25 AM

Do we need another dm? Forwards please.

Morning all.

• 85 Sazzer // Jul 1, 2013 at 8:25 AM

Great news, Belhanda isn’t off to Villa.

Great news, Maher doesn’t join another PL club. (similar to Narsingh/Tadic last year.

Except from that two alternatives gone if Cabaye leaves.

• 86 bills-son // Jul 1, 2013 at 8:32 AM

Roy Morten – fans say lack of ambition because they cannot see beyond their media driven hatred for Ashley.

When we signed the five players in Jan – should have been Remy as well – it was only because Ashley was panicking in case we got relegated. Yet, if we had signed nobody he would have been slated.

So – he gets hammered when he signs players and hammered when he doesn’t.

Bottom line is Ashley can’t win with some fans – thats why so many comments on here are not worth arguing with.

• 87 WWYCD // Jul 1, 2013 at 8:32 AM

Oh its time Newcastle announce the signings they have completed over the past 6 months! Are we all ready?

• 88 WWYCD // Jul 1, 2013 at 8:34 AM

bills
    Nothing media driven about my dislike for Ashley. And had he bought players when we needed them, last summer, he would of been praised so really he put himself in a position where he would be damned either way.

• 89 HullMag6 // Jul 1, 2013 at 8:43 AM

Ashley left llambias on charge of running the club, ash just signed the cheques when needed. Hence the toon getting caught pants down after last summer all dowm to llambias’ penny pinching. Same with wonga a llambias legacy.

Ashley hopefully has learnt the hard way if you own a football club you cant be hands-off you need to be involved.

• 90 jimmysmith // Jul 1, 2013 at 8:45 AM

I actually want to like Ashley, but its hard for me consider him at all ambitious relative to other owners of clubs of similar size and potential. Seems to me he could hardly have done less and gotten away with it.

• 91 Sazzer // Jul 1, 2013 at 8:46 AM

LATEST: Aubameyang met with Dortmund officials:

• 92 Sazzer // Jul 1, 2013 at 8:47 AM

LATEST: Swansea in pole for Bafetimbi Gomis as chairman flies to Lyon

GFN France reports

• 93 WWYCD // Jul 1, 2013 at 8:48 AM

@BackPage: Internacional have told reporters Southampton do not lead the chase for Damiao as no official offers have been made from any club.

Southampton?! Damiao? WHAT?!

• 94 faustino asprilla newcastle // Jul 1, 2013 at 8:49 AM

We must get Vainquer by any means. He is excelent player to start some activitiy this summer. Vainquer IN, Tiote OUT

• 95 HullMag6 // Jul 1, 2013 at 8:51 AM

Well, our percieved targets seem to be disappearing.

I wonder who our real rargets are

• 96 bills-son // Jul 1, 2013 at 8:51 AM

Considering we haven’t won the Prem for 87 years, the FA Cup for 58 years and never won the League Cup in its 52 year existence the previous owners of NUFC – including Hall and Shepherd – haven’t got much to shout about either.

I think some fans on here – especially those under 30 – have this idea that it was all honey and roses before Ashley arrived.

Eh. … no. … It wasn’t.

• 97 Sazzer // Jul 1, 2013 at 8:52 AM

Football__Tweet ?@Football__Tweet
    Fred’s buy-out clause at Fluminense is £1.7 million.

That’s low.

• 98 Markaccus // Jul 1, 2013 at 8:52 AM

Faustino.

I dont mind signing a dm as long as we ship one out. But we dont need an extra one.

• 99 Sazzer // Jul 1, 2013 at 8:53 AM

Joe Kinnear is hoping to secure the signing of @Aubameyang7 by Friday, with #NUFC plotting a second bid, says @TheJournalSport

Before then he have join Dortmund…when not only need pacy striker but a pacy DOF as well.

• 100 Jail for Ashley // Jul 1, 2013 at 8:54 AM

Bills,
    I think you assume that most people who dislike MA put their dislike for him before the club, in mine and I think for WW… this isn’t the case, he would have been rightly praised if he had of built on the success of Cisse and a top five finish, however hd didn’t have the ambition as it would have cost money, when fsced with a serious threat of losing 50M + it spurred him on to spend a net 11M.

• 101 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 1, 2013 at 8:55 AM

We don’t know how the club operated when Llambias was here. Maybe all our transfer failings were down to Llambias, and Ashley had nothing to do other than signing off. Certainly you could argue that the January spree of 5 players was down to Remy making a mockery of us, and Ashley realising there was a problem and stepping in. That is certainly my view of the situation.

However, there is nothing to say that it wasn’t down to Ashley refusing to be flexible last summer, and it was a panic in Jan when the thought of missing out on the new TV deal made him go all out. 2 of those were earmarked for this summer, as we have already been told – so that you could also say that Ashley may think he has already done 2 summer deals, and got them in very very early to prepare for next season. No rush to get others in.

Either way, this summer will be a big statement of intent as far as Ashley is concerned, he like Pardew has had 1 good summer, and one bad summer recently so this could be decisive. How we do here will either bring some anti Ashley fans on board, or make more pro Ashley jump ship.

• 102 jimmysmith // Jul 1, 2013 at 8:58 AM

Well, I think that’s the main gripe, here’s a guy that has the clout to do more than he has, but has chosen not to. Hopefully, our financial position will continue to strengthen and that will be reflected in more depth and quality in the squad and perhaps an overhaul of the management and coaching set up if this current lot can’t deliver.

• 103 martoon // Jul 1, 2013 at 8:58 AM

I don’t know why we are kidding ourselves with all these exotic names. We all know deep down it will be Bent & Tomkins!!!!!

• 104 WWYCD // Jul 1, 2013 at 8:59 AM

JfA
    Certainly the same with me mate, I have praised him in the past for his plans and words but they have been little more than that

• 105 headtheball // Jul 1, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Look out there’s an ITK rooster about.

• 106 Rotonda heights // Jul 1, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Bills son

it’s not ashley whow wants to sign bent and tomkins it’s our out of his depth manager

• 107 Sack Llambias // Jul 1, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Bent, Tomkins and Pilkington would be excellent
    signings and bring better balance to the squad. Last
    season we did not have too many options off the
    bench. We could then sell Shola, Williamson
    and Gosling whilst strengthening overall. They
    don’t have to be instead off other potential
    signings. How many have actually seen Pilkington
    play ?

• 108 mikeashleyisamackem // Jul 1, 2013 at 9:36 AM

we are a joke pea will sign for dortmund today they have pretty much confirmed so our targets are not slipping away then to all these opptimists on here just have a look at all the names been bandied about there is only bent and tomkins left the ones no one wants

• 109 mikeashleyisamackem // Jul 1, 2013 at 9:38 AM

sack lambias i will be disgusted if thats who we end up with utter garbage there is a reason bent and tomkins cant make first team

• 110 Rooster // Jul 1, 2013 at 12:24 PM

Rotonda, ITK, I prefer it as a bit of sixth sense, after all there are many who say there wont be any signings arnt there, its their opinion, as for Bent n Tomkins, they have both worked under Pardew with quote a bit of success, not my ideal choice by a long way, but Tomkins in for an outgoing Williamson, well hes better than willy,and Bent would almost certainly score more goals than wor Shola, but lets all wait and see.

The wait is unpleasant of course, but I feel we have to get new players in as early as possible.

My preferred list would be

Wijnaldum, top drawer.
    PEA,class act.
    Cardozo, real quality.
    vainquaer, (perch role but better)
    another keeper, young alnwick not ready for understudy.
    Siam de jong, immense signing.
    belhanda, quality player, great football brain.

We probably have targets that we are not aware of as well, Cardozo is the interesting one as he looked like a player who could fit in almost any team from what I have seen, maybe wants champs league footie? but the newspapers are reckoning between 10/15 million would get him through the door, a proper strong skillful aware and mega talented centre forward.

previous post: So Sad To See Loyal Fans Returning Their Season Tickets