The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

This Young Porto Defender Would Be Great Signing For Newcastle

2:39 pm, Monday, July 1st, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 144 Comments

Eliaquim Mangala is a 22 year-old central defender who plays for Porto and he has played 23 times for the France U21 side, and once for the full French national side.

Eliaquim Mangala

Eliaquim Mangala - 22 year-old 6’2″ French center-back

Here’s another in our series of picking out some top youngsters in Europe, who could be decent buys for Newcastle.

Eliaquim joined Belgium club Namur in 2004 at the age of nine, and he then joined Standard Liege in 2007 at the age of 16 and in October of 2008, he signed his first professional contract agreeing to a five-year deal with the Belgium club.

Mangala made his professional debut as a substitute in November of 2008 , coming on in the 89th minute in the 3–1 victory over Germinal Beerschot, when he was just 17 at the time.

Eliaquim went on to play 100 times with four goals for Standard Liege, before he was signed by Portuguese Champions Porto in August two years ago.

He’s so far played 53 times with 8 goals for Porto, and the 6’2″ player looks like an excellent defender in the making, and he can play at center-back or left back – similar to Sebastien Bassong.

As we said before, he’s played a massive 23 times for the France U21 side and was so impressive playing for Porto last season, that he finally made his full France debut this year in the 1-0 loss to Uruguay in Montevideo in early June.

We have no idea if Graham Carr has been watching this lad, but he looks like a very good young defender – and exactly the type of young center-back with great potential that Newcastle are looking for.

What do you think?

Here’s some video of the youngster, and he can also score some fancy goals.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

144 responses so far ↓

• 1 the truth will out // Jul 1, 2013 at 2:44 PM

can he defend though?

• 2 lesh // Jul 1, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Joe!. Just get the ball rolling and announce a good signing. Quickish!

Lots of love

Mike (the Mike that pays your wages.. And can issue your P45 – geddir?)

• 3 criticalsteve73 // Jul 1, 2013 at 2:46 PM

Champs lge club to crisis club I very much doubt it

• 4 lesh // Jul 1, 2013 at 2:48 PM

Joe.

Hope you’re not wasting my tine here!

Mike Ashley.

PS. Payroll dept might be in touch soon. Geddit?

• 5 jarnytoon // Jul 1, 2013 at 2:50 PM

I know it’s only Day 1 of the official transfer window but i’m getting so hacked off with everyone being linked to someone or another or teams actually signing players offically…..NUFC PULL YOUR F**KING FINGER OUT!!

• 6 rainrix // Jul 1, 2013 at 2:52 PM

He sounds good but will he blend?

• 7 geordiefromthemidlands // Jul 1, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Ppl saying perch to Wigan is pards being over ruled

• 8 Joe Blog // Jul 1, 2013 at 2:53 PM

Some of you need therapy, lots of therapy. Jarny *cough cough*.

• 9 lesh // Jul 1, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Dear Mr Kinnear.

No report or recommendations yet. Oh, and since we’re on the subject, can I have a detailed time sheet for the last couple of weeks? Smartish!!

Mike Ashley (Owner)

• 10 the truth will out // Jul 1, 2013 at 2:55 PM

David Moyes Told Smash The Transfer Record And Buy Bale!
    nufc to carry on in the bargin bin section of lidl

• 11 spitfire_ // Jul 1, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Jeez… enough with titles “Would Be Great Signing For Newcastle”… every single day there is at least one.

• 12 gonz // Jul 1, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Glad to hear Mehdi Abeid is back in Newcastle for preseason. I hope we don’t get rid of this kid because I still think he’s got talent. Just needs games under his belt and more experience which he got at the start of this year. Truly hope he hasn’t been given his marching orders.

• 13 lesh // Jul 1, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Joe.

Don’t think you’re under any pressure to deliver, but Derek’s not around to carry the can for failure.

If you want to discuss and bring me up to speed with any difficulties you may be experiencing, please feel free to get in touch.

Mike A

• 14 L.ARAVIND // Jul 1, 2013 at 3:01 PM

ed this is so sickening. i know that you are writing these posts to aspire newcastle or their fans.but all those players you mention could be a potential target are completely neglected by newcastle board….they dont seem to be concerned and i wouldn’t be surprised even if we get relegated next season…u put world class players as our potential target and atlast nufc doesn’t even bid for those players…..it toooooo sickening……..

• 15 lesh // Jul 1, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Joe.

In case you didn’t know, I had to intervene to bring Januarys signings in. Comprende?

MA

• 16 cyprus // Jul 1, 2013 at 3:05 PM

Lesh,
    How’d you get those emails? Through that CIA dude? Anyway, keep them coming. JK must be stressing out…

• 17 lesh // Jul 1, 2013 at 3:05 PM

Haven’t heard from you yet Joe. Where TFRU?

Mike

Ps. No pressure,

• 18 NEWEXPATMAGPIE // Jul 1, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Another Name to add to our Endless, Endless Target List !

The Window is Open, Let the Circus Begin !

Which one of the Rest of the Prem Clubs are gonna Snap this one up, i Wonder ?

• 19 lesh // Jul 1, 2013 at 3:07 PM

cyprus… ITK, can’t say – hope you understand

• 20 the truth will out // Jul 1, 2013 at 3:08 PM

he has been seen by hull mag having tea and crumpets with steve bruce

• 21 jarnytoon // Jul 1, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Joe Blog I think every NUFC fan needs therapy for 1 reason or another because the way the club is being run at the minute I think we all need it!

Not belittling other clubs but if we’re losing out on targets to teams like Swansea (Bony) & Norwich (Van Wolfswinkel ) you’v got to ask yourself what the hell the scouting team are doing?!

Also, I don’t want the club to be bent over for transfer fees being presented to them but we need to spend some dollar & in some cases not much would be needed.

I know PEA will be pricey but we could get Redmond & Ince for £10 million combined if you believe reports…..there only cherubs for gods sake, the resale value would be immense.

With our luck & that r*tard as Director I can’t wait to see who our ‘Prime’ targets are

*rant over*, sorry peeps!

• 22 Goodfella // Jul 1, 2013 at 3:10 PM

Looks like Dortmund are making moves for PEA sending a representative over to sort the deal according to French press, and what are we doing nowt!

• 23 L.ARAVIND // Jul 1, 2013 at 3:11 PM

only true fans answer this,,,
    1. Do you see newcastle to spend more than 15 million pound this transfer window?
    2. will we win any trophies?
    3. how many of you are gonna leave this club and seek elsewhere when the season starts?

• 24 the truth will out // Jul 1, 2013 at 3:12 PM

yes maybe

• 25 L.ARAVIND // Jul 1, 2013 at 3:15 PM

these are the toughest years in newcastle united football as well as in my life..neither i could find a solution to my miseries nor newcastle….wtf has happened after our 5th finish triumph,,its been a tough tough road to travel.Any moment i can get kicked in my ass.

• 26 Goodfella // Jul 1, 2013 at 3:15 PM

There’s no limit no no no no no no there’s no limit :) sorry

• 27 djm... // Jul 1, 2013 at 3:18 PM

I would love to spend more than 15mill.
    You ask for only true fans to answer these questions then ask who will be looking elsewhere. If you are a true fan you can’t live without Nufc, it’s like a drug.

• 28 the truth will out // Jul 1, 2013 at 3:18 PM

cracking tune

• 29 the truth will out // Jul 1, 2013 at 3:18 PM

sang to the words of kinnear

• 30 L.ARAVIND // Jul 1, 2013 at 3:22 PM

i should have mentioned “THOSE WHO HAVE BEEN A TRUE FAN OF TOON”.

• 31 cyprus // Jul 1, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Read article in telegraph, ‘why did Ashley buy NUFC’?

Can’t help but feel sorry for the guy and us both… a fairy tale gone bad, like the song says.

• 32 geordiesteve520 // Jul 1, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Sorry, to me this article is like saying Messi would be a great signing, has been linked to Chelsea and Barce already and Porto have said he will not leave for less than his release clause (rumoured to be £35m), silly article imo. I normally defend Ed to the hilt but this has no weight nor is in any way, shape of from sensible.

• 33 fatman // Jul 1, 2013 at 3:24 PM

anyone seen the lower picture

• 34 wolfshead@toon // Jul 1, 2013 at 3:27 PM

i think joe would gladly tell us who we are after but hes prob been told to shut it cos of the uproar caused by the moaning ten percenters

• 35 geordiefromthemidlands // Jul 1, 2013 at 3:29 PM

Likes to cross and is decent. Good at Set pieces. Raylor replacement

• 36 the truth will out // Jul 1, 2013 at 3:30 PM

no no and fffin no

• 37 Goodfella // Jul 1, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Looks like Perch is off :(

• 38 geordiefromthemidlands // Jul 1, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Still don’t want him

• 39 Sazzer // Jul 1, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Non starter this post. Maybe few years when hype is gone and his contract coming to an end.

Perch to Wigan rumour has it

• 40 Ginger // Jul 1, 2013 at 3:36 PM

1. Do you see Newcastle to spend more than 15 million pound this transfer window?

Unfortunately I do not. There is a slight feeling in my stomach that we’ll spend big this summer, but I know that’s more then likely not going to happen.

2. will we win any trophies?

Yes. Call me optimistic but I think we will win the Capital One Cup this season.

3. how many of you are gonna leave this club and seek
    elsewhere when the season starts?

Where else is there to go? I’m a Geordie, if Pardew started himself up front I’d still support the club. As someone else said it’s like a drug.

• 41 WWYCD // Jul 1, 2013 at 3:37 PM

Aye we are going to pay 42.4 mill for a CB…howay Ed man this is a very very poor link

And Perch is set to leave for less than a mill? Dont see the sense in that at all

• 42 geordiefromthemidlands // Jul 1, 2013 at 3:37 PM

Sazzer any news on the Matthew Taylor rumour?

• 43 cyprus // Jul 1, 2013 at 3:37 PM

hey bramble is available. Joe?

• 44 Ginger // Jul 1, 2013 at 3:39 PM

WWYCD

I think we could haggle and knock it down to 2million and Willo.

• 45 Goodfella // Jul 1, 2013 at 3:39 PM

Hopefully we can sign wigans James McCarthy in return

• 46 Unbelievable Tekkers // Jul 1, 2013 at 3:40 PM

Lol Matthew Taylor come off it there’s no chance that’s happening!

• 47 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 1, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Afternoon chaps how arr we all today?

Is the perch news just transfer talk?

Just a little something I threw together, feedback much appreciated

• 48 WWYCD // Jul 1, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Ginger
    Well that would give Porto a laugh I suppose

Doubt Perch has anything to do with McCarthy though they value him very highly and obviously Perch isnt valued at all….quite surprised we are dealing with Wigan considering the hatred between our owners

• 49 Sazzer // Jul 1, 2013 at 3:47 PM

No need to keep Perch, we have better version in Mbiwa.

• 50 Ginger // Jul 1, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Yet our youth setup is so bad?

• 51 NEWEXPATMAGPIE // Jul 1, 2013 at 3:51 PM

@23:

Never ever assume that a True Fan will Desert their Club, Even if we dropped to the Walt Disney Mickey Mouse Fourth Division !

• 52 Ginger // Jul 1, 2013 at 3:52 PM

Don’t know why that link won’t work.

• 53 Zero // Jul 1, 2013 at 3:53 PM

Really Ed…. we are interested in Porto defenders…. id love to see how we’d get this one across the line, baring the 20+million price tag, his will to play in champ league etc. i think we might have a chance lol.

• 54 Ibizatoon // Jul 1, 2013 at 3:54 PM

indykaila News ?@indykaila 51m

Warning: Transfer window is open today so be aware with all these fake “ITK” accounts popping up, idiots at the highest level.

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha…Ow that hurts….hahahaha

• 55 geordiefromthemidlands // Jul 1, 2013 at 3:55 PM

• 56 Zero // Jul 1, 2013 at 3:55 PM

@23

Personally i think we will spend close to 10-12million on one player followed up by two 5 million approx. players.

• 57 geordiefromthemidlands // Jul 1, 2013 at 3:56 PM

• 58 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 1, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Ginger,
    Bramley is probably the best coach at the club. I’ve been saying this for a while that it is only after the U16′s that things seriously go downhill with coaching. We always have internationals at that level, yet as they move through the levels the number drops. It is probably in part due to different players maturing at different ages, but that can’t be the case all the time.

• 59 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 1, 2013 at 4:00 PM

@23

If anyone answers yes to the third one, you should go and have a long hard look at yourselves in the mirror! I’d say they are probably on the wrong site. Thankfully, no one has so far.

• 60 Ibizatoon // Jul 1, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Ruddy is an Irishman with warts?

I may have misread some of that article ;)

Interesting topic Senor Ruddy. In a season where so many underperformed, in fact in a season where I struggle to name a player who constantly performed, I’m not sure how to single out Santon.

Cabaye? Tiote? Cisse? I suppose the thing Santon has in his favour is age.

Still, great topic, but can’t we get back to guessing who we may or may not be buying this summer? :)

• 61 the truth will out // Jul 1, 2013 at 4:06 PM

do you think kinnear is trying to shop online to get up to speed

• 62 cyprus // Jul 1, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Ruddy,
    excellent contribution, didn’t know you wrote elsewhere at your own ‘home’. Still, I think Santon is an amazing player, despite those points you make. He’s a kid, he needs coaching, yes, but the potential is all there.
    btw, did you know that many fans didn’t like Bale (error prone) in his previous role? Look what happened to him. Santon would be great at LW and he could (sort of!) defend a little too.

• 63 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 1, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Ruddy,
    I read that this morning, didn’t realise that was you though! Interesting article. I think Ibiza hits the nail on the head for me, everyone single one of our players, ironically except Perch probably, needs to step up their game. All have been much more highly rated than they demonstrated last year.

Santon, I thought had a decent season. I agree, defending is certainly not his strong point. Nor is crossing really. He has pace and is able to go past a man, but lacks any end product. I think Haidara will push him close, although I’d say Haidara is possibly similarly flawed, not sure on his crossing, not seen enough.

Mbiwa is sadly probably our best left back, but he is best at centre back.

• 64 rainrix // Jul 1, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Ibiza…. Haha irony overload>>>>>>>>>>

BTW is that actually you? Your display name looks weird. Is this the gritty realistic reboot of ibizatoon for the new season? ;)

• 65 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 1, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Ibiza

By no means is it an attempt to absolve others of their responibility.

I just happen to think that Santon’s weaknesses or deficiencies cause the imbalance we see in the defense.

I could do an article on every player but who would read it haha

• 66 toon kk // Jul 1, 2013 at 4:14 PM

@23…..no
    There’s going to be a lot of disappointed fans. Remember its Newcastle we support and MA doesn’t spend big on one signing. He likes his value for money chancers.

• 67 Ibizatoon // Jul 1, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Lilongwe…I am always hear to hit any nails on their head for you.

Rainrix…Irony? How so? It is me, I figured Ibizatoon had been back for a while so it was time to shorten it back it’s original format. It was a fun adventure, but it’s good to be home…

What do you mean “is this the gritty realistic”….I’m always gritty and realistic, do you not remember OV? Oh wait…don’t get your hopes up mate :)

• 68 Big Pappa Cissé // Jul 1, 2013 at 4:17 PM

I agree a lot of our players didn’t live up to their potential but how much of that was Pardews fault ?

Cisse- Played on the wing in the early parts of the season which no other manager on planet Earth would do. Also for Freiburg he scored a lot of headers and tap ins from crosses, yet we play him as a target man.

• 69 Ibizatoon // Jul 1, 2013 at 4:19 PM

Ruddy…And my comment was in no means an attempt to say you were doing such things :)

I get what you’re saying, the lad certainly has room for improvement, but I wouldn’t really say he regressed last season, whereas others I may argue have. He is young and is at an important time in his development. The lad needs to work hard if he wants to get there, I do think he has the skill to do so, so probably the right player to highlight.

Who would read it? Well, me of course! I have to get an opinion from somewhere.

• 70 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 1, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Lilongwe & Cyprus

I do think he’s supremely talented but his defending is the one area he neees to drastically improve upon.

I’m not sure of him as a winger but it would be an interesting experiment I guess.

• 71 rainrix // Jul 1, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Ibiza…. Irony in regards to indy. ;)

To be fair it looks like you’ve stopped overcompensating and have accepted yourself for who you are kudos! :)

OV?

• 72 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 1, 2013 at 4:21 PM

BPC,
    Pardew has to take some blame, I’d say a fairly substantial portion. As do the coaching staff. However, the players also take a fairly large chunk. Even if the supposed tactics didn’t suit them they are better than a 6-0 home defeat, or losing to Reading, Sunderland etc.

• 73 Big Pappa Cissé // Jul 1, 2013 at 4:21 PM

I think Santons problem is his defensive awareness and positioning.

• 74 Ibizatoon // Jul 1, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Big Pappa….We could then open the debate as to why Pardew felt the need to play Cisse on the wing. One may say it’s because we had no decent wingers available as Ashley / Llambias didn’t get him any, he tried Ba and Cisse upfront together, it didn’t work, Ba was scoring the goals so Cisse got pushed out wide.

Not saying it’s a good excuse, but is it as simple as just looking at the manager?

Of course it is, silly boy Ibizatoon, Pardew out!

• 75 the truth will out // Jul 1, 2013 at 4:22 PM

pardew experiment your having a laff

• 76 rainrix // Jul 1, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Did someone say earlier fred has a buy out clause of 1.7 mil? If thats true surely he’d be worth a punt at that price even if he is getting on a bit. Upgrade on ameobi better than bent etc.

• 77 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 1, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Ruddy,
    I don’t see him as a winger, I understand why people compare him with Bale, I just don’t think it is particularly fair on him. Bale is a far better player, and was always far better at shooting and crossing then Santon is. Even at Southampton Bale showed flashes with the odd free kick.

As for him to develop and improve on, it is difficult given the dearth of quality coaching at the club. Players get so far on natural talent, but unless they receive the correct coaching (and have the right attitude) then they will hit a brick wall, and others will improve beyond them.

• 78 Zero // Jul 1, 2013 at 4:26 PM

Ibiza, Cisse was the striker in form at the end of the season before, playing a central role with ba out on the wing…. Cisse was moved to the wing to appease a disgruntled Ba. Why pards comprimised a winning formation to satisfy one player is beyond my comprehension.

• 79 toonarmydownsouth // Jul 1, 2013 at 4:26 PM

Zero
    Ed hasn’t said were in for him, he’s just doing write ups on young European players he’s love to see at the toon

Lads surely it can’t be true that JFK is JustFKin off on holiday just as the window opens????

• 80 Ibizatoon // Jul 1, 2013 at 4:26 PM

Rainrix…Do you know who I am? I could really use the help :)

Tbh, I’m completely confused with the whole club. I can no longer second guess decisions and wont put a positive or negative spin on it until I believe it. The club, from top to bottom, have a lot of work to do in restoring the fans faith this season. I suppose it’s somewhat easier for me, I don’t attend games or throw large chunks of my money in to the club, so I can take a relaxed approach to it. It is all very disappointing though considering how close I felt we were just a short 12 months ago.

Ah yes, good old Indy. Classic stuff. The cheek to even write it. Must have been p*ss*ng himself.

• 81 Puppet Pardew's Brainlessness // Jul 1, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Hey guys. Property is still going for cheap in the valley. Get it now before the prices start to shoot up

• 82 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 1, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Ibiza

I’ve a gripe with Santon but I’ve a gripe with many of our players, like tiote, like jonas, but Santon, for me, is at a crucial stage of his career, either devote himself to his trade as a full back and learn to defend or try his luck further up the field

• 83 Puppet Pardew's Brainlessness // Jul 1, 2013 at 4:29 PM

So in summary Ibiza is going to sit on the fence.
    I can see the headlines now “Ibiza shocks us by taking the middle ground”

• 84 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 1, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Ibiza,
    Granted there is more to it then just pushing Cisse out wide. But what reason is there that the game 2 days after Ba’s departure Cisse played to the right and Shola played through the middle.

Pardew’s reasoning was that the lads had trained with Cisse wide and Ba through the middle so they were unable to change it. They are professional footballers, of course Cisse would be capable of playing his natural role, and have someone else play right wing.

• 85 Big Pappa Cissé // Jul 1, 2013 at 4:31 PM

@ Ibiza

Thats fair enough putting a pacy, tricky striker on the wing, but Cisse ? , unforgivable IMO. We may as well have fielded 10 outfield players.

We should have played this with our lack of decent wingers:

————Sissoko——–Anita————

——–HBA——–Cabaye——Marv——

————————-Cisse———————-

Thats why a striker and two wingers are a must this window

• 86 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 1, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Tads,
    The papers said he went last week, this week they say he is going this week. Non have a clue.

• 87 the truth will out // Jul 1, 2013 at 4:31 PM

cash 4 phones
    dont be ripped off

• 88 Ibizatoon // Jul 1, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Zero…Is that how we started the season though? I thought the big gripe at the beginning was that Pardew was insisting on trying to get the two to form a partnership? Didn’t Cisse get moved out wide a little while after when it was apparent who was in form at the time?

It was a while ago now and I have tried to forget as much as possible about last season, so apologies if I have this wrong.

I do agree with your last point though, we really should have started the season with the same set-up, but I can and did understand why Pardew wanted to try and keep Ba happy. Let’s be honest, we missed him after he left and it is all together possible that words were had during the summer basically along the lines of “play me as a striker or I will leave”, which with a £7m buy out clause, was never going to be a hard sale.

• 89 toonarmydownsouth // Jul 1, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Ruddy
    There are a hell of alot players who need to up there game ahead of santon imo
    Taylor, sissoko, tiote, cabaye, cisse, marveux, obertan
    Santon was no worse than any of these and the previous season when part of an established and settled back line the lad was our most consistent and solid player

• 90 Zero // Jul 1, 2013 at 4:32 PM

tads…. my point was whats the point of stating players that are young and excellent players, that the toon will never be in for? If thats the case we might as well get Kets as a co-writer for the blog.

• 91 rainrix // Jul 1, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Ibiza…. Sounds like you’re having deep internal conflict atm. I can refer you to a good psychotherapist :)

Its a big chunk waiting and seeing atm. Im disappointed like you. I cant see the kinnear lark working at all but i hope upon hope it works. Thats about the maximum amount of positivity i can muster, care to chip in?

Although to be fair saying you wont but a + or – spin on things sounds remarkably fencey. Nothing ever changes. Much like newcastle :)

• 92 Zero // Jul 1, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Ibiza if Ba had that convo with Pards and company… then surely MAs hard line of ‘im boss’ should have came into play (the same hard line that lead to the outing of players such as Nolan and Barton)? If that was also the case then surely they should have forseen the Jan transfer and have been more prepared….i.e. a suitable replacement then we should never have had the problems we had..

• 93 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 1, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Tads

The guy who posted the article on my behalf added “most” to the headline. I agree that tiote desperately needs to improve, as does cabs. Marv or obertan never reached heady heights so I’m discounting them to an extent. Sissoko is being played out of position do it’s more Pards’ fault for his dip in form.

There are flaws in his defensive game that badly leave us exposed and he needs to address this next season

• 94 Joe Blog // Jul 1, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Marv finished with our most assists and hardly played. I see that season as his revovery season, he was getting used to being back involved, training regularly and he still showed more than Cabaye, with a few sublime assists. Think Marv will come alive and kick on this season and be 1 of our best performers, with the caveat he’s given a sustained chance, of course.

• 95 Ibizatoon // Jul 1, 2013 at 4:41 PM

PPB…You just get me :)

Ruddy…Agreed wholeheartedly.

Lilongwe…Give me one good reason why you wouldn’t play Shola in the middle over Cisse? :) Joking aside, I hear you, an odd reasoning imo. I don’t remember who else was available mind, but I would like to think there was a better alternative to Shola (ST) / Cisse (RW).

Now, this bit is complete guesswork, but, is it not possible that Cisse was shifted out wide in order to try and make him raise other aspects of his game? It may not have been the smartest idea or even worked, but maybe the right intentions were there?

A lot is made of Pardew playing players out of position, but at the same time they go on about how great we were using 4-3-3…with Ba, a striker, on the LW?!? Sometimes these things work, sometimes they don’t.

The Biggest Of Pappas….As mentioned above, maybe not smart, but hindsight is a wonderful thing. To be fair, Pardew did play that formation once the new players arrived, although the personnel was mixed up slightly.

• 96 the truth will out // Jul 1, 2013 at 4:45 PM

could it be that our management is ok and its the wrong blend of players well surely it needs a fast fluid correction not a rolling roadshow of gaffs.Or our managements sucks and all our players are superstars. Or there again a bit of both

• 97 Zero // Jul 1, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Ibiza you mention hindsight… it was apparent to everybody it wasnt working throughout the whole season….. wether it be for the greater good (im not sure if turning ATM into DCM and CF into RW/LW is good?) but flirting with relegation and in that panic (which in hindsight everyone will conclude to what was occuring) playing new players trying to get used to a new league out of position was madness.

• 98 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 1, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Ibiza,
    I understand what you are saying, but you don’t try those sorts of things in the Prem. Surely you make him play on the RW in training matches, friendlies etc before using him in the Prem.

On the Ba issue of playing LW, Ba had regularly played in that role through his career. When he first joined West Ham he was touted as a Left winger cum striker.

It is cruel to make Shola play a full 90 though, that is my biggest problem. The poor lad gets tired after 20 minutes. Particularly up front on his own. :-)

• 99 toonarmydownsouth // Jul 1, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Ruddy
    Agree he’s nowhere near the finished article mate, but I don’t think he left us exposed any more or less than anyone else in our back line last season tbh
    As I said for me anyway, he showed the previous season that when part of a settled organised back 4 he was a cracking player
    To see an improvement this season, we need to start a settled back line, not keep chopping and changing
    For me that means dropping the injury prone and inconsistent Taylor and starting a back 4 of debs MYM colo and santon and actually having a back 4 that have a chance to gel

Lilo
    Really hope it’s BS, what sort of DOF goes on his hol’s just as the window opens and only 3 weeks into his job!!

• 100 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 1, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Mark Douglas, of the Journal, saying that Perch may not leave cause he doesn’t want to.

• 101 Steven Lough // Jul 1, 2013 at 4:48 PM

there is no way pea will go to germany.he and his dad(agent) said he want premiership and i can not see him going to everton .he will sign for us providing aahley stumps up the cash which he will

• 102 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 1, 2013 at 4:49 PM

Mercado reporting an 18mill Euro bid from us for PEA….

• 103 Big Pappa Cissé // Jul 1, 2013 at 4:50 PM

@ Ibiza

The 4-3-3 worked because Ba is more of a footballer than Cisse and has a few nice touches and can link up well. Only Pardew knows why we stopped playing the formation. We played decent counter attacking football and it got us 6 wins on the spin.

I just think Pardew trys to be some tactical genious rather than playing a system that works. Sissoko had the game of his life as a second striker against Chelsea so Pardew thinks it will work every week, even though he only has about 30 goals in 200 appearences.

• 104 Ibizatoon // Jul 1, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Rainrix…Does he / she have a lot of free time? :)

Maybe I need another name change? Ibizatoon – Remarkably Fencey”?

I can be and am opinionated, but only on issues of which I am sure (or at least think I am). To me, it seems odd to just draw conclusions based on little information and run with them. I don’t know any other way.

Positivity regarding Kinnear? Well, it could, if not too painful. provide a laugh or two. That’s me lot I’m afraid.

• 105 Big Pappa Cissé // Jul 1, 2013 at 4:51 PM

20 goals rather

• 106 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 1, 2013 at 4:53 PM

Anyone know how reliable mercado are? If they are anything like UK journo’s then it is probably tripe….

Although those french journos have such a fluid and technical writing style that our english ones just can’t match.

• 107 Zero // Jul 1, 2013 at 4:54 PM

Positivity on Joker…. erm he knows slightly more about football than Lambreezy knows…. hes put his foot in it with the enitire fan base so needs to prove himself (may lead to a massive signing)… yup thats my lot lol

• 108 lesh // Jul 1, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Lilongwe…. Mercado?

• 109 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 1, 2013 at 4:57 PM

Lesh,
    Some french news group

• 110 Ibizatoon // Jul 1, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Zero…Have we just changed debates? You mention “throughout the whole season”, then mention relegation and new players. Not trying to be a smart ass, just genuinely confused now :)

Okay then, it looks like I’ve thrown myself right in the middle of the lets defend Pardews decision to play players out of position debate (a scary place to be and not really what I intended). All I was trying to point out, is that it isn’t that simple. There are other factors and reasons, many of which we wont know.

Is it siesta time?

• 111 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 1, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Lesh,
    On further investigation I can find nothing about them. I guess some Tw@tter bollox then

• 112 lesh // Jul 1, 2013 at 5:00 PM

cheers Lil. Probably tripe and to be ignored I guess.

When’s your music fest due? Any idea who’s playing?

• 113 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 1, 2013 at 5:01 PM

Lesh,
    Further further investigation, it is a Spanish sports news group, that doesn’t seem to have any website, just a twitter feed.

• 114 Ibizatoon // Jul 1, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Zero…I like that positive spin. It’s been so much of a fcuk up that we might get some decent players to keep fans off their back…for a minute or so :)

• 115 lesh // Jul 1, 2013 at 5:04 PM

most probably el tripo then Lilongwe.

Maybe Ibiza might know given the views he has from up high on the fence?

• 116 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 1, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Lesh,
    The actual fest is in 6 weeks, but they had a DJ set night on Friday, then some chilled jazz/reggae type do on Sunday as warm up events. Few more events over the next couple of weeks as well.

Both were pretty good, the Sunday one was on a new hotel rooftop bar and terrace, views of the sunset and some beer and chilled music.

Only Malawiian artists in these warm up events so far, but I think they should be announcing the main artist list soon.

• 117 geordiefromthemidlands // Jul 1, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Mercato saying we have bid €18m for pea. Can’t find a link though

• 118 lesh // Jul 1, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Lil. The rooftop gig sounded good to be at.

• 119 lesh // Jul 1, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Lil. There is some good African reggae to be had.

• 120 Ibizatoon // Jul 1, 2013 at 5:10 PM

Lesh…Clear blue skies from up here….

I can see some people, may be football related, but unlikely. Will give you more updates as they happen.

Mercado? As in market?

• 121 toonarmydownsouth // Jul 1, 2013 at 5:10 PM

Lol
    Quality goal!
    @talkSPORT: ‘Back’ of the net! Floored player scores from unbelievable juggled back-flick http://t.co/0MtLwEAmIj

Lilo
    Apparently French press is reporting we’ve bid for PEA as well

• 122 Ibizatoon // Jul 1, 2013 at 5:20 PM

tads…Pretty decent. Did you see that goal someone posted a few weeks ago. So coach hit the ball back on the field near his technical area and it went in the goal. Nice stuff. Think he got send to the stands for it though :)

• 123 I am a geordie // Jul 1, 2013 at 5:21 PM

im telling you folks PEA will come to us with bent as a third striker.s

• 124 Joe Blog // Jul 1, 2013 at 5:22 PM

In one, brief metaphor, describe NUFC – I’ll start:

A clown, floppy big shoes and all, running across a minefield.

• 125 the truth will out // Jul 1, 2013 at 5:24 PM

how you mean joe

• 126 toonarmydownsouth // Jul 1, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Ibiza
    Yeah I posted that one too!
    Lol

• 127 Ibizatoon // Jul 1, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Joe….A fly, constantly flying into one side of a double door when the other door is wide open.

So close, but seemingly clueless of how to get there.

• 128 Ibizatoon // Jul 1, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Tads…Oh, I guess you have seen it then :)

• 129 Sazzer // Jul 1, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Can’t be any truth ib this Taylor rumour can it? We have Jonas already.

• 130 Joe Blog // Jul 1, 2013 at 5:30 PM

Meaning, we’re a cartoon club, smiles painted on, but beneath it tortured. Can’t take your eyes off us, because you just don’t know when we’re going to trip over ourselves and have everything blow up in our face!

I like it, Ibiza. Always wondered when flies are gonna evolve to detect panes of glass.

• 131 Joe Blog // Jul 1, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Perhaps they’re condemned for eternity, hopefully not…

• 132 Ibizatoon // Jul 1, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Joe @130…The flies or Newcastle United? Perhaps both, although I don’t really care much for flies.

• 133 seantoon // Jul 1, 2013 at 5:34 PM

How must Shane Ferguson feel if the so called Taylor signing happens! It’s a joke! Either give the young lads a chance or buy quality or potential, not some never has been or never will be NUFC standard tripe

• 134 Joe Blog // Jul 1, 2013 at 5:35 PM

We are the flies, the flies are us, Ibiza! We are the Jeff Goldblum of football clubs.

• 135 AaranD // Jul 1, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Transfer News Live ?@DeadlineDayLive 5m
    Stoke City are pursuing striker Carlton Cole as their number one summer transfer target. (Source: Mail)

Good news for all Toon fans if true!!

• 136 Ibizatoon // Jul 1, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Joe…Oh dear, I can feel the swatter lingering above my head now…save us someone…we mean no harm.

AaranD…Couldn’t happen to a nicer club :)

Sean…If we do sign him I will eat my hat. First I will buy a hat, then i will eat it. I wonder if you can buy edible hats?

• 137 Unbelievable Tekkers // Jul 1, 2013 at 5:46 PM

There’s more chance of us signing our targets such as PEA and Siem De Jong than there is of us signing Taylor……i wouldn’t worry about it.

• 138 djm... // Jul 1, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Matty Taylor could be the identical twin of Ryan Taylor, exactly the same player but from the opposite side. Maybe we are getting him in to make up for Ryan’s injury.

I know he isn’t our best player but having Ryan out for two years is a massive loss to us. Can do a premier league job in about 5 different positions and from interviews he seems to be a big character in the dressing room.

• 139 the truth will out // Jul 1, 2013 at 5:48 PM

ibiza you can get hats made of flies i believe

• 140 Joe Blog // Jul 1, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Quick, land on that turd, nobody will swat us if we’re on there….

NUFC sign Darren Bent.

• 141 Joe Blog // Jul 1, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Back to butting the window.

• 142 IITianToon // Jul 1, 2013 at 5:56 PM

Is Olivier Kemen really our first signing of the season?

• 143 sparky55 // Jul 1, 2013 at 6:08 PM

absolutely no doubt in my mind Santon should be used as a winger.

The amount of times I watched newcastle concede goals last year on MOTD and the player two yards away from the scorer was Santon was too many for sure. His positional sense is not quite there yet but going forward he looks really good…he has good pace, good ball control and a good cross on him so why not give it a go during pre-season at least?

I would be playing something like this

Krul

Debuchy…Mbiwa…Colo…Hiadara
    Santon….Sissoko…Anita…tiote’s replacement…HBA
    Cisse’s replacement

• 144 Ibizatoon // Jul 1, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Truth…I’d be worried about if flying off….okay, bad joke. No need to throw things.

Joe…I really hope we don’t, but I’d rather take Bent than nobody…I suppose.

previous post: Gael Bigirimana And The Folly Of England