The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Joe Kinnear – I Was Manager At Newcastle Almost Two Years

8:43 am, Tuesday, July 2nd, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 50 Comments

We know that Michael Owen has been trying to rewrite his history at Newcastle with his interviews in the Evening Chronicle for the past several days, and Joe Kinnear is too – did you know he was manager of Newcastle for almost two years?

joe-kinnear-uy

Joe Kinnear – manager at Newcastle almost two years

Well that’s the latest stuff (there are probably more appropriate words that could be inserted here) to come out of his mouth, as he has talked to one of the local papers – and he says he’s just great – to put it in a nutshell.

Kinnear was at Newcastle yesterday for the first time since he was appointed the Newcastle Director of Football, and this is what Kinnear told the Shields Gazette, in what they are calling an exclusive:

“Every top club in the land has got one.” “We haven’t – that’s the difference. The manager can’t do everything.” “I’m probably the only football manager to be a director of football.” “I don’t know any other ex-managers who have.”

“I’ve been a manager for 35 years. I’ve been Manager of the Year. I’ve won every award there is in football as a player. “I think all those qualities put me head and shoulders above every other director of football.”

“Some directors of football have never played the game,” “I’m lending my experience as a manager for all those years – 10 years at Wimbledon, two years at Nottingham Forest, two years winning promotion at Luton and, of course, almost two years at Newcastle.”

“I would still be there if the heart attack had not occurred.”

Joe Kinnear was manager at Newcastle from late September of 2008 through mid February of the next year – when heart problems before the away game at West Brom sidelined him, and that was almost two years in Joe’s world – a bit like his three Manager of the Year awards.

He was also manager of Luton when they were relegated, before he brought them straight back the next year in 2002.

It’s a pity Joe comes over as so deluded, because unfortunately his comments will now be linked with Newcastle United, since he’s now back at the club.

It’s true that Joe is very experienced in football, but it’s hard to get past what he says about himself, as he distorts the facts so much, in his favor.

Maybe Mike Ashley can get a clause in Joe’s contract that he cannot speak to the press, and therefore he cannot keep embarrassing himself and Newcastle – that would do it.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Newcastle News

50 responses so far ↓

• 1 Wandering Geordie // Jul 2, 2013 at 8:46 AM

And also the first man on the moon

• 2 Sawbuck // Jul 2, 2013 at 8:48 AM

And the Eiffel Tower was his brainchild.

• 3 martoon // Jul 2, 2013 at 8:51 AM

This is from memory but I’m pretty sure as a player he hasn’t won World or Euro cup medals or in fact any european medal, championship medals etc.

• 4 Puppet Pardew's Brainlessness // Jul 2, 2013 at 8:53 AM

Shut up Joe! Just shut up!

• 5 TorqToon // Jul 2, 2013 at 8:53 AM

Galtierrez – not that I’m a big one for theories, but that tweet from PEA is interesting.

1) Destination unknown in English
    2) Apparently David Craig in Newcastle today After postponing his meeting with Graeme Bailey.
    3) PEA is only around 30miles from Dortmund from where he plys his trade. Surely a chopper or car would be more practical?!

Or it could just all be tw@tter rubbish again?!?!

Believe…

• 6 Bearsize // Jul 2, 2013 at 8:53 AM

Wow he is deluded! He would have got us relegated that season he was so poor. DOF dont tend to be ex players as it is not essential. Their role is so much more than that, that is the only thing different bout him he played, so what joe, is it going to sign you a 15 million player? Can you handle the agents? Have you got the smarts? I dont think so. The fact you wont stop doing interviews tells me a lot about you. Graham carr has done like 2 interviews in all his time here. Cant wait for you to leave

• 7 Wandering Geordie // Jul 2, 2013 at 8:53 AM

Also the inventor of the wheel

• 8 Ben3arfa // Jul 2, 2013 at 8:53 AM

This old mut needs to just die

• 9 rainrix // Jul 2, 2013 at 8:54 AM

Jesus christ is he still talking?

• 10 Puppet Pardew's Brainlessness // Jul 2, 2013 at 8:54 AM

He also built canary wharf with his bare hands

• 11 TorqToon // Jul 2, 2013 at 8:55 AM

Jazzy – good morning sir.

I’ve not heard anything concrete re Cabaye. Part of me thinks he will still be a toon player next year for another season at least.

Just a feeling I get, it’s the media making it into more than it is I feel.

I could be massively wrong of course, but just a vibe I pick up from over here.

• 12 Puppet Pardew's Brainlessness // Jul 2, 2013 at 8:55 AM

@8 bit harsh

• 13 TorqToon // Jul 2, 2013 at 8:56 AM

Ben3 – Easy pal. Yeah he is a clown, but we don’t need to wish that on anybody.

• 14 NUFCarter // Jul 2, 2013 at 8:57 AM

So kinnear would still be manager of NUFC if he didnt have a heart attack.

If he had still been in charge till now, i wouldnt be alive.

• 15 Puppet Pardew's Brainlessness // Jul 2, 2013 at 8:57 AM

Torq stop being an itk. Online guy will have a go at you like he did with proud tbag

• 16 Macas // Jul 2, 2013 at 8:57 AM

He did win 3 manager of the year awards, the LMA, Sky Sports, and Daily Mirror award

• 17 Bearsize // Jul 2, 2013 at 8:58 AM

Jfk bumped uglys with MA’s mam and got the job at toon!

• 18 Ben3arfa // Jul 2, 2013 at 8:58 AM

Apologies fellas

Im just sick of the embarrassment this moron is causing us

• 19 Wandering Geordie // Jul 2, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Kinnear,s theory of relativity of course

• 20 TorqToon // Jul 2, 2013 at 9:00 AM

PPB – I wish I WAS itk my friend. Would make being a toon supporter so much easier.

• 21 Spoof // Jul 2, 2013 at 9:00 AM

Our manager for two years, well I never, it felt like it was a hell of a lot longer than that!

• 22 Rotonda heights // Jul 2, 2013 at 9:01 AM

JFK has to be the most delusional guy on the planet (excluding Kets)

He’s now saying he’s won everything as a player!!!!

I thought the only good thing about JFK coming was to hopefully get rid of the inept Pardew but sadly there’s no movement on that either.

• 23 TorqToon // Jul 2, 2013 at 9:01 AM

Ben3 – Aren’t we all mate!

We all feel the frustration as supporters of this club mate, and let emotions run high at times.

• 24 headtheball // Jul 2, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Wasn’t he the navigator on the Titanic?
    Or was it Mashley?

• 25 firebug666 // Jul 2, 2013 at 9:02 AM

It’s not really Joe Kinnear, it’s Walter Mitty, I just hope that this episode has a happy ending. My personal feeling is we are in it up to the neck with no obvious way out. Joe probably told Ashley all this rubbish to get the job and now he’s stuck with it. What an idiot!

• 26 jazzyp // Jul 2, 2013 at 9:03 AM

I can only see aubameyang’s destination-if the uk to be ourselves now.spurs are in for soldado of Valencia which paves the way for nufc
    or am I just being to optimistic !!!

• 27 Rotonda heights // Jul 2, 2013 at 9:05 AM

Martoon,

yes I missed his European player of the year award too!

What a thoroughly unpleasant bully and lout this guy is.

• 28 TorqToon // Jul 2, 2013 at 9:08 AM

Jazzy – Nothing wrong with being optimistic mate!

Better than constantly being ‘glass half empty!’

• 29 NUFCarter // Jul 2, 2013 at 9:09 AM

Joe kinnear: Gods gift to earth.

• 30 geordiemark // Jul 2, 2013 at 9:09 AM

didnt yous not know that kinnearbasher built the great wall of china as well stone by stone and he was the first man in space and by all his comments hes still there :)

• 31 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Jul 2, 2013 at 9:10 AM

Bloody hell is this man real – has anyone asked the question is he mentally stable

• 32 geordiemark // Jul 2, 2013 at 9:12 AM

Charlie in the Gallowgate

hes that and more, its obvious ashley wants a good laugh thats why kinnerabasher got the job

• 33 sparky55 // Jul 2, 2013 at 9:12 AM

Kinnear is a space cadet operating in a parallel universe and unfortunately we’re in the other parallel where reality really is shitty whereas his parallel is all roy of the rovers stuff and he’s come back to save us from oblivion.

FFS it’s so cringeworthy it’s almost beyond belief

There is a medical term for this you know…it’s called delusional Dementia

• 34 Belfast // Jul 2, 2013 at 9:12 AM

Joe please shut your flucking mouth

• 35 lesh // Jul 2, 2013 at 9:12 AM

As people have their gods with them then such has been the ‘presence’ of Joe Kinnear.

He has never left Newcastle United and never will. Joe is not our Brian, he is our saviour.

Halleluja, praise be to Joe, the Almighty.

Heavens forbid!

• 36 geordiemark // Jul 2, 2013 at 9:14 AM

for gods sake kinnerabasher stop taking all your medication and do us fans a huge favour and — :)

• 37 toonarmydownsouth // Jul 2, 2013 at 9:15 AM

JFK was Einstein’s private tutor

• 38 Rotonda heights // Jul 2, 2013 at 9:16 AM

How is a barely literate man with possible vascular dementia meant to negotiate with top agents and clubs around Europe?

Ashley just seems to lurch form one crisis to another and all of his own making:-

1) Needed – A good manager with a good CV and consistent and ever improving track record. We have Pardew with a woefully mediocre, unspectacular and disjointed career to date.

2) Needed:- A continental technical adviser. Nowhere to be seen.

3) Needed:- Some modern cutting edge fitness coaches and medical staff:- Not been / being addressed?

• 39 toonarmydownsouth // Jul 2, 2013 at 9:16 AM

JFKs first signing for Newcastle was jack or milburn

• 40 sparky55 // Jul 2, 2013 at 9:17 AM

lesh…”he’s not the messiah…he’s a very naughty boy!”

Classic!

• 41 geordiemark // Jul 2, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Rotonda heights

I reckon ashley only ever gives jobs to people he can comply with myself thats the reason kinnearbasher, pardew have jobs when it comes down to comon sence all of them together couldnt set off a fire cracker

• 42 one Tony Green // Jul 2, 2013 at 9:37 AM

ED Old Joe’s cleared up the three managers of the year award he won LMA, Sky Sports Manager of the Year and the Mirror Football Manager of the Year.
    Joe obviously thinks the fact MA paid up two years salary when he was ill means he was actually in that permission. Think his delusions are a perfect match for some of our fans.
    Never thought I would say this but I am actually looking forward to hearing a Pardew interview again. Yes it has got that low for me.

• 43 one Tony Green // Jul 2, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Sorry in the position. Still recovering from the world according to Joe.

Sparky release Bwian

• 44 sparky55 // Jul 2, 2013 at 9:43 AM

OTG…One of the…if not THE best scene in the film…absolutely fckin’ hilarious

• 45 one Tony Green // Jul 2, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Sparky absolute belter. A classic

• 46 Hobs // Jul 2, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Every top club in the land has got one. We haven’t – that’s the difference.

At least he got that one right.

• 47 Wandering Geordie // Jul 2, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Newcastle United have made a sizeable sum available to buy new players.

They’re opening Joe Kinnear’s swearbox.

• 48 Wandering Geordie // Jul 2, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Channel 4 have announced they are to make a film about Joe Kinnear’s time at Newcastle.

4 wins and a funeral.

• 49 Trent Toon // Jul 2, 2013 at 4:15 PM

The moment Alexander Bell finished building the first ever telephone Joe called

• 50 Jinky Jim // Jul 3, 2013 at 8:57 PM

I have printed 5000 T shirts at one of my suppliers
    “NOT FEKNHERE” in black and white stripes, assorted sizes and they are free.Just email and I will send one per email.

previous post: Borussia Dortmund Move In For Newcastle Striker Target