We Have To Learn About Our Mistakes

Yohan Cabaye is probably the most likely player to leave Newcastle this summer, with two rich French clubs, PSG and Monaco said to be after him.

yohan cabaye at

Yohan Cabaye – we must learn from our mistakes

But you wouldn’t think Yohan was going anywhere when he was interviewed yesterday on the Newcastle web-site, and he was only looking forward to a better season at Newcastle:

“I think next season will be better because the new players who came in January are going to have more time to adapt to the Premier League style.”

“Hopefully we’re going to have some time to prepare well for next season and to be fit for a big part of the season, because that’s going to be important to play for a place near the top of the league.”

“We have to learn about our mistakes, but the main thing was safety and the club staying in the Premier League. So it was a hard and difficult season, but I think for the future, it’s going to be interesting because we learned a lot,”

“We started quite well and then had a big hole where we were losing a lot of games.” “We had a lot of injuries to players as well, with big players missing, and that was hard when we were playing in the Premier League and the Europa League.”

“But we fought together and stayed together and we fought to be a Premier League squad next season which is the most important thing, I think.”

If we can keep our top players on Tyneside this summer, we probably only need a couple of strikers and perhaps a center-back brought in, and the squad should be big enough and good enough to do a lot better than last season.

Most fans would be happy enough with a top eight finish – but why haven’t we heard anything at all from Alan Pardew – with training supposed to get under way later this week?

We did hear from Joe Kinnear yesterday – but again that was all very painful for Newcastle fans, who hadn’t realized Joe had managed Newcastle for almost two years.

Once Alan gets back on Tyneside, we hope he’ll be interviewed, so we have a chance to find out how he views the new Joe Kinnear appointment, and that Joe is his new manager.

We would expect him not to be too happy, but we’ll have to see how good an actor he is – and we expect him to tow the party line – it’s good for me and Newcastle because we have another good football person at the club.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• TorqToon

Jul 3, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Wait?!?! I thought Cabaye was definitely leaving and had handed in a transfer request because he is unhappy at the club and is dreading our pre season??? 🙂

• Ibizatoon

Jul 3, 2013 at 10:20 AM

And the question “where is Alan Pardew” has been answered. He’s taken the form of Yohan Kebab!

Injuries.
    Europe.
    Lessons Learnt!

• the truth will out

Jul 3, 2013 at 10:23 AM

ibiza you missed pardew kinnear and ashley

• the truth will out

Jul 3, 2013 at 10:24 AM

did i spot kinnear at wimbledon yesterday?

• the truth will out

Jul 3, 2013 at 10:25 AM

hes an ex wimbledon tennis champ to boot

• Beattie25

Jul 3, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Repost:

Beattie25
    0 mins ago
    Ibiza

If we were seeing any indications of gradual change then I’m sure we could call ours a club in transition, but there is nothing on the pitch, in the boardroom or anywhere within the club that shows us progression.

The only thing I believe we have right is the scouting set up. But the club are not fully committed/interested in signing many of the players we should be and now Alab wants to change the set up to allow more experience in the team to compensate his own shortcomings.

I personally don’t think my expectations are too high. I expect us to be able to outplay relegation threatened teams at home, never be beaten 6-0 at home or away and I expect us to show quality given we have 11 internationals in the team.

For me it’s not about high finishes. I for one would gladly accept mid table if we played with passion and quality.

Some people might just want to see passion and commitment but that only will ever get you so far. Giving 100% shouldn’t even be asked for, it should be a prerequisite for any club, of it’s not then questions should be asked of the manager first and then the players.

Liverpool at home was the most embarrassed I’ve ever been as a NUFC fan and that was unforgivable.

But even if we had passion that day we still would’ve been pummled because we have no tactical quality whatsoever.

If you put passion in this team next season but keep the tactics the same I l think we will finish lower than we would if we had tactics that outweighed the passion.

• Sazzer

Jul 3, 2013 at 10:28 AM

fatman
    Ashley paid off Shepards debts to others and put us in debt to him instead so we don’t have to pay interest.

• Ibizatoon

Jul 3, 2013 at 10:31 AM

I always miss Pardew, Kinnear and Ashley, but they’re always close to my heart.

• Ibizatoon

Jul 3, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Beattie…I hope this isn’t too much of a cop out, but I am waiting to see what the new season brings, after a pre-season with the new players we got in January. What is it we actually do know about the past few years?

1) After a successful summer window and then the addition of Cisse in January, Pardew did have a good campaign with us and guided us to 5th in the PL. Yes with some luck and no the football wasn’t to the best of standards, but it was a new team and that can be expected.

2) Pardew wanted more players in last summer. People can harp on and on about how he said afterwards that he was happy with the squad, but we all know, at least we should all know, that wasn’t the case. All summer long he spoke of new players and perhaps the most notable point was after Raylors injury where he said he would need to speak with Mike about a replacement to only say 24 hours later that we’re fine. Where was this coming from? Not hard to figure out.

3) After this approach didn’t work, Ashley pulled his finger out and got 5 players in January. That’s all well and good, but trying to integrate 5 new players to a team already in the relegation mix in a new league was always going to be a tough task. People will say “well they started well until they were Pardewed”…well it could also be they ran out of energy after a couple of games, it is a different pace to the French league and it will and does have some impact.

Before I condemn anyone for last season, i do think it important to give them a pre-season together, something that should have happened last summer.

• Markaccus

Jul 3, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Indybollox:

Just in: Wilfried Bony officials in UK, meetings planned with two clubs. Via source(media)

• Toon73

Jul 3, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Flick Percy and promote Joker. He’s done everything in football, on and off the field. He’s won every accolade and he’s the best man for the job just ask him.

• Slank

Jul 3, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Yohan Cabaye is a top bloke. He is very influential in the club, not only with his fellow French colleagues.

As a French national and key member of the French national team it is only natural that any offers from a top French club would be attractive to him but I feel he is not motivated by money.

• Markaccus

Jul 3, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Indybollox:

So, Swansea and a.n. other. Who i wonder. Us? Do people want bony. Some say he is too slow. This is indy though so its possibly cack

• richyg01

Jul 3, 2013 at 10:36 AM

@ 10 – Bony is talking to Cardiff & Swansea I think it was

• richyg01

Jul 3, 2013 at 10:37 AM

@13 – I would say Bent and Ideye Brown would be great for us, and at the price of PEA, 2 players better than one IMO.

• proudtobageordie

Jul 3, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Torq

If you remember my post months ago ref Cabs i said then he was going nowhere. That came from Debs after a lenghty conversation i had with him

• Beattie25

Jul 3, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Ibiza

I agree with your points but what I am saying is that it should bever be passion first, quality second.

You could have all the passion in the world but without quality you’re not going anywhere.

I doubt Miguel Alejandro Castro (made up name) has never even heard of Swansea, but put him in a decent set up using good tactics and any lack of passion will be forgiven of he shows his qualities.

We have decent players, some extremely good ones, yet the tactical quality is making them seem very poor and the fans seem to question their passion for the club as if it is this that is missing.

I’d rather see Cabaye strolling around the pitch playing gorgeous passes then see him running round kicking people in the name of passion.

• TorqToon

Jul 3, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Proud – Morning mate!

Yeah I remember. Didn’t know it came direct from debs however. Doesn’t get much more official than that unless it came for the dreamboat himself.

You heard much else of late?! Tell me some good news! 🙂

• the truth will out

Jul 3, 2013 at 10:40 AM

dont worry folks we still have top goalscorer in amioby

• Slank

Jul 3, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Sazzer @7

‘Ashley paid off Shepards debts to others and put us in debt’

What’s this ‘us’?

You, me and everyone else on this and other blogs don’t owe any money as the club is not owned by ‘us’. Emotionally yes but not financially as it’s all Ashley’s money, end of.

• Markaccus

Jul 3, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Cardif of Swansea???

Wales or Wales! Nice choice to have.

• proudtobageordie

Jul 3, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Torq

Morning Sir, I am his official kit sponsor and though his English wasn’t great he was adamant that his best mate has no intentions of leaving NUFC as he loves it hear.

• Rotonda heights

Jul 3, 2013 at 10:46 AM

On the subject of Mistakes

Appointing Pardew
    Appointing JFK twice
    Appointing Llambias
    Making Wonga our sponsor.

I suppose Cabs can’t really say any of the above but I think his professed depression speaks volumes !!!

It will be interesting to hear if Laudrup moans about extra games and injuries next season. Our fitness sucks and I’m sure it’s linked. Look how many games Oscar has played this calendar year.

• martoon

Jul 3, 2013 at 10:47 AM

I’ve said it before but I’ll say it again – Bent & Tomkins are the best we can hope for – but even that’s doubtful. I have to say I am finding the ominous silence from Pardew surprising. I doubt if he is still on holiday now – I think the sale of one if his favourites Perch might be the final straw!

• Ibizatoon

Jul 3, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Beattie… Not sure taking passion to mean Cabaye kicking the cr*p out of someone is helping the discussion 🙂

I get that passion should almost be a given in football, but sadly, it is seriously lacking and not just at our club.

Maybe I haven’t evolved like other fans, but for me, football starts with passion. It’s the excitement. That can be from lovely passing, a long ball that catches out a defender for a striker to chase, an extra time corner to win the game (there once was a time).

I suppose all I am saying is that I think due to a really poor season with a dire placing, people are making way too much out of style, for me anyway. Yes I would like to see it improved and I am not a fan of constant hit and hope, but for me, there are bigger factors.

• proudtobageordie

Jul 3, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Torq

Ever since Dereck left i think Joking Ear has a different thinking than what he had so as far as Targets are concerned we could be after ??????? Who knows what is going on at our club at the moment?

• Raffo

Jul 3, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Re-post

Raffo // Jul 3, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Are people wired up right? Do some people go to the same clinic as JFK? Why would anyone chose us over BVB? Champ league finalists, v highly regarded team and challenging for honours. We simply arent in that league. We have blinkers on when it comes to the toon, I do too. We simply dont have the pull. We are in the NE, something that will put off alot of players, esp when competing with London clubs. We dont have the finances and pull. Thes ooner we just face facts that we are a mid table prem team, ave players will come to us, improve and move on and help sustain the club with the fees, a la Carroll, thats where we are.

I would love nothing more than to have big signings again, but I want the club to be financially stable too so it is there in 10 years time for my son to become a fan. We simply have to check our ambitions a little for the time being

• TorqToon

Jul 3, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Proud – yes I remember now. Well I hear a radio interview with debs recently and his English is also very very good! Really improved. Saddio has been working hard and doing well. Yanga has been having tuition for English all summer as well.

That, coupled with a full pre season and the experience they gained from last season’s dogfight, I’m confident we will be this season.

1-2 additions, and no departures, we will turn the corner.

• Rotonda heights

Jul 3, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Richy

Bent is 29, very injury prone and is a poor man’s Cisse without the spectacular goals. Better than Shola from the bench I guess and good 3/4 years ago but injuries have taken their toll.

Seen brown twice in the confederates cup and to say I was underwhelmed would be an understatement.

PEA would have been the final piece in a Carr inspired 433, but now we can look forward to Jonas and Matt Taylor battling it out for the left midfield position in Pardew’s 451 or 442.

• toonarmydownsouth

Jul 3, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Torq
    From a couple of posts back!

I don’t think I can disagree with Ed that MA isn’t showing much in the way of ambition, although my reasoning is prob slightly different!
    Can’t blame him for PEA now going to Dortmund there a fantastic club
    However,
    They only showed any real interest once lewondowski declared his desire to leave, where as if reports are to believed we made contact back in jan?
    For me this deal should of been done and dusted before the window even open if he genuinely was our priority target and no way should a DOF of been appointed 2 weeks after the season ended, it should of happened in feb and our targets should of been in place
    For me all his decisions seem amateur and down right bizarre

• the truth will out

Jul 3, 2013 at 10:56 AM

it is being demoralized beyond repair by owner he is only a custodian at best and he is crap at that well im off for good no more post the tw@ can get on with it im not suckered no more when the supporters no longer go he will go

• Rotonda heights

Jul 3, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Wonder what the french for hoof ball is.
    Such good players such a poor manager.
    why us!!!!

• proudtobageordie

Jul 3, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Tads

Totally agree with you mate. This deal for Pea should of been wrapped up early June if Ashley was serious about getting him to SJP. So it makes me think we had no intention and everything was just hearsay which comes back to the debate of you can’t believe a word that comes out of his mouth???

• Raffo

Jul 3, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Rotunda – seriously wish Pardew would get the boot. A decent fresh thinking forward thinking manager would get so much more out of the squad we have. We have decent players, just tactically inept manager/coaching

• TorqToon

Jul 3, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Tads – I do agree with you mate. We seem to be dragging our heels big time. Whilst other managers come out and tell the fans what is happening, pards stays quiet as a mouse!

Not saying I want him to reveal our targets, but a little communication is in desperate need.

• toonarmydownsouth

Jul 3, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Proud
    Don’t get wrong he’s made some great signings and we were plain unlucky with remy and there’s no garuntee we were serious about PEA
    But howay mike learn from your mistakes man! So far under his stewardship we have had one good season one good window and one great window induced by sheer panic and shocking summer planning
    I will still support the club 100% and with the squad we have with a full pre season we should be comfortable for top 10
    But this bloke has changed the targets every bloody season! One minute he wants euro every year now it’s top 10
    Struggle to see his ambition tbh

• wolfshead@toon

Jul 3, 2013 at 11:06 AM

@25
    haha

we are after the crock bent for 8mill villa want to replace him with a quality striker demba ba who we sold for 7mill sounds about right for nufc

• Slank

Jul 3, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Rotunda

It could be ‘sabot le ballon vers’.

Just add Willo to the end and there you have it !

• low fell mag

Jul 3, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Rotonda ,I disagree on one point there.
    I do think Swansea will be found out in Europe as vey similar to us is that their squad is not big enough,,and im fairly sure their domestic league form will falter.
    It did happen to Stoke a year earlier ,as they were dragged into a relegation dog fight and it nearly cost Pullis his job ,as I think they got to the quarter finals in the Europa cup against Valencia and he fielded a second string team,over in Spain and got hammered for it.
    Thankfully were out of it this year ,but is it not a catch 22 ,as it attracts the better players,and the likes of Cabaye Kruyl want to play against Benfica not Swansea and Stoke City.

• TorqToon

Jul 3, 2013 at 11:07 AM

TADS – How DARE you blame Mike Ashley for the failure to sign Loic Remy!!!!!!!

We all know is was prouds fault!! 😉