The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Perch Wanted To Stay – But Kinnear Is The New Decider

8:38 am, Thursday, July 4th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 29 Comments

As we had reported yesterday, Alan Pardew wanted to keep James Perch at the club, but he lost out to both Mike Ashley and new Director of Football Joe Kinnear, as the owner had refused to give Perchinho a new contract in March,  and Joe Kinnear showed he’s the man who decides who comes and goes at Newcastle from now on.

Manchester United v Newcastle United - Premier League

James Perch – did so well at Newcastle

James himself didn’t want to leave, and we would have liked to have seen the 27 year-old get a two-year extension to his deal at Newcastle, which had one year to run, but it was not to be.

That’s football,  and Perch is a top class professional, and not surprisingly has received many messages of good will from our fans, thanking him for some stellar performances for Newcastle over the last two seasons, and Newcastle have lost yet another Englishman from their squad.

This is what James told the local press today:

“The fans in Newcastle were amazing.” “I am overwhelmed by all of the messages.” “I had a great rapport with the fans up there.”

“Newcastle will always be the first result I look out for after Wigan. I look forward to playing at St James Park next season when we get promoted.”

“I appreciate that Alan Pardew did everything he could to keep me.”  “I am delighted to be joining Wigan. It’s a great club.” “I’m looking forward to the challenge.”

“I understand Newcastle’s new transfer policy. Time will tell if that is the right route. But I loved it there, the fans are incredible, I will never forget them.”

“There was a lot of interest from other clubs.”  “But I am looking forward to playing in Europe again this season.”  “I played 37 games last season but the big factor from Wigan was they wanted me quickly.”

Perch trained with his new team mates at Wigan yesterday, and whenever he comes back to Newcastle, he will get a great welcome, and Newcastle fans don’t forget players like Perch – who always played his heart out for the Magpies – in many different positions.

He’s also a great lad, which is another reason we are very sorry to see him go.

But we wish the 27 year-old all the very best in his new career at Wigan Athletic, and of course he will be a terrific acquisition for the Latics and new manager Owen Coyle.

James played 81 times for Newcastle with one goal in his three years on Tyneside, since Chris Hughton brough him in three years ago, and he was sold for a bargain £700K.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Contracts · James Perch · Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours

29 responses so far ↓

• 1 Perchinho Pricing Blunder // Jul 4, 2013 at 8:42 AM

Repost
    @jesper good morning. Not had much rhum recently until last night I sadly had the last measure of my plantation Barbados xo
    been mostly on the scotch

So does anybody else think Santon lw or rw, haidara lb and dummy on the bench?

• 2 ChicagoToon // Jul 4, 2013 at 8:44 AM

Only my opinion of course but I don’t see MA buying a top class striker. Cisse is our #1. We will get a new backup whether it is Bent or another similar player. Then a winger and youth players. That is it. I don’t see a £15m striker coming after he spent (by his standards) a huge chunk of change getting Cisse only 18 mo ago

• 3 Perchinho Pricing Blunder // Jul 4, 2013 at 8:44 AM

Interesting that pards seems powerless. Maybe this is like in moneyball. Selling his favourites to force him to play the right team

• 4 ChicagoToon // Jul 4, 2013 at 8:45 AM

@perch
    Do i see them there or does pardew. Haha two different questions

• 5 Rotonda heights // Jul 4, 2013 at 8:47 AM

Spineless Pardew won’t walk though as he’d never get another job like NUFC unless his pal / debtor Llambias is there. I guess he still needs the money too much to do the decent thing and just go. At least Gullit walked without any compo and he’d got us to a cup final.

Dream scenario, Pardew walks and a proper footballing modern manager comes in, JFK withdraws in to the background and gets pensioned off. Or Ash sells. Neither outcome realistic sadly.

Lilo

I think that boat has already sailed didn’t see any motivation at home to Sunderland or Liverpool with huge crowds.

believe me the only way to hit ash is boycott as a lot of people are now not sure about renewing their ST’s

• 6 ChicagoToon // Jul 4, 2013 at 8:47 AM

I liked Perch but other than keeping the English quota I’m not too upset. Ya we got peanuts but there are better players anyways. Rather use the 700,000 + wages on a young up and comer foreigner then a 4th string cm

• 7 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 4, 2013 at 8:47 AM

John,
    I’m from the area, lived in Newcastle most of my life, had a season ticket for too long, and have many friends in the area. I don’t think it is a regional thing, there seem to be people from all over who aren’t happy with some things that go on, and others who are.

Regardless of how you feel on it though, there will only be a small number willing to remonstrate, and that will be supplemented by those just spoiling for an excuse to fight, or cause bother.

I doubt it would be sufficient to force him out, although I do understand the point you are making.

• 8 Beattie25 // Jul 4, 2013 at 8:48 AM

I hope the ‘new transfer policy’ is not to have players happy to sit on the bench earning a wage without ever pushing the starting 11 and only proving their worth when called upon and instead focusing on good players who will fight for a starting spot and potentially change games when they are beough in.

Players like Perch are 10 a penny and the only reason most remember him fondly is because of the injuries we sustained. Had we have not had any injuries he’d have had no time on the pitch and people would be talking about a good sale.

Interesting to see how many PL teams clamoured for his signature. It seems these give 100% types who lack footballing quality and offer versatility to do a half decent job when called upon are highly sort after by teams in the top flight.

• 9 valle // Jul 4, 2013 at 8:52 AM

Just sell Ashley, I have lost faith in you… I would even consider handing you over to JFA so he could perform his twisted tortures on you.

• 10 Jamiemac // Jul 4, 2013 at 8:53 AM

Good luck Perchy

• 11 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 4, 2013 at 8:53 AM

Rotonda,
    A lot might not be renewing, but I’d bet sales are around the 15-20,000 mark. Still a significant wedge of cash. Then there are the corporate tickets which will be bought, and with the increase TV cash then it isn’t going to affect his financials that much if fans stay away.

As for a lack of motivation, you pick 2 games out of 19 games in a season. Not to mention Europe (no need to mention cups) There was motivation in the others, and against both at the start. Heads dropped incredibly quickly though which was the problem there. I got to the Stoke game, and the Anzhi game, and the players were up for it, just not that good, so motivation from crowds is still vital.

• 12 ChicagoToon // Jul 4, 2013 at 8:55 AM

Ok let’s play the ever popular game “Guess the transfer” ahh sure to leave your heart broken. Ok 5-7m for a winger under 25 and won’t be missing out on Europe to come here. Who do you choose…? GO!

• 13 blew // Jul 4, 2013 at 8:55 AM

An honest player and good pro, I wish Perch well.
    I hope this indication of the clubs new policy will mean the end of Shola. Pardew wanted to keep Perch and extend Sholas contract, he has been overruled with one, lets hope he is with Shola

• 14 jimmysmith // Jul 4, 2013 at 8:55 AM

Penny pinching to pay back the loan he made to himself which as if by magic doesnt decrease at the expense of his ethical obligations to the clubs very loyal fan base and the region. Super!

• 15 Rotonda heights // Jul 4, 2013 at 9:00 AM

Perchinho Pricing Blunder

That’s a lovely theory but I don’t think we can trust JFK
    to bring in the right replacements. Hopefully Anita may get a look in now. Shocking how after 3 straight M.O.Ms Tiote just walked straight back in.

I would take Remy in a heartbeat. We could then get back to that successful 433 with Remy and Benny either side of Cisse. Sadly with JFK it will probably be Matt Taylor and Jonas fighting it out !!

• 16 Transfer Sage // Jul 4, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Mario Gomez is leaving Bayern for between 10 and 15mil.

That’s the kind if big signing we need. Scored goals last year even as 2nd choice but hit 40+ the season before.

Would love us to bid as he is off to fiorintina so not a huge huge club…get you wallet open big mike

• 17 Rotonda heights // Jul 4, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Lilo

Imagine only 20000 in a 52000 stadium. Would send a hell of a message. I’m only talking a couple of games would make the point.

• 18 TorqToon // Jul 4, 2013 at 9:05 AM

Shame to see perchy leave, but it will only allow Anita and bigi more game time.

He improved last season, but that wasn’t overly difficult as his start at the club was awful. People talk like we are losing a massive player, when in all honestly, he was a squad player.

Yes when called upon he did a job, but if people want to see us pushing on up the table, players that can “do a job” simply aren’t good enough.

I believe we will strengthen, and have a stronger squad next season.

Good luck to perchy, nice lad and always gave his all.

• 19 martoon // Jul 4, 2013 at 9:06 AM

With Perch & SImpson leaving we are going to be short of fullback cover – a couple of injuries in these positions and we could be struggling.
    On the subject of season tickets – I am still waiting to hear if my application has been successful. When I contacted box office they said I should hear soon but there is too many to check my individual application. So seems to be no shortage of takers and the box office seems to be in as much disarray as the rest of the club!!

• 20 Markaccus // Jul 4, 2013 at 9:09 AM

Id worry that everyone will have been put off the 433. I worked when cisse was in the middle and Ba shifted wide to accomodate. Then it was all fkd up this season because Ba wanted to play central, then effed off anyway after things did not work with cisse out wide. Pardew should habe stuck to what worked instead of giving in to a moaning player. I agree it would work well now, even existing players hba and googy supporting cisse. 433 is basicallu the only formation where you can use hba and goofy in wider roles, as they are otherwise more suited to central support roles.

• 21 Novocastrian66 // Jul 4, 2013 at 9:10 AM

I thought Perch got in the team ahead of better players. Anita immediately springs to mind. He is a honest pro and good luck to him but I could never understand why a lot of fans rated him so highly.
    The statement about Pardont trying to keep him says a lot. Honest endeavour is admirable, but it’s no replacement for quality. Pardont seems to prefer grafters to artisans.
    I’m not too fussed about Perch leaving. The display of loyalty to him by AP is more disturbing.

• 22 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 4, 2013 at 9:10 AM

Rotonda,
    I know what you are saying, but who would it make a point to? Ashley will still have money coming in from ST sales and corporate sales. The only thing it would bring is large amounts of negative press. That seems to be like “water off a ducks arse” to Ashley. It will send a negative message to players as well.

I understand what both you and John are saying, I just don’t see it having a massive impact on what Ashley does.

• 23 Markaccus // Jul 4, 2013 at 9:11 AM

And my phone has made my last post look utterly retarded spelling-wise.

• 24 John Tudor // Jul 4, 2013 at 9:14 AM

and added to that 20 000 everyone turns there back on ala man city singing the songs were not for kinnear yfb who ate all the pies wheres our money gone wheres our money gone etc

• 25 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 4, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Personally, I would have kept Perch. We saw a similar clear out last summer, and were told they would be replaced by talented youngsters pushing for first team spots. I don’t remember Lovenkrands, Best, Forster, Smith etc. being replaced like that.

We have now lost Harper, Simmo, Perch, I’d say it is likely that at least 1 of Shola, Willo, Obertan and a couple of youngsters go out of the door as well.

Now, while not anywhere near top 6 standard, all of them need to be replaced. Do we honestly think that will happen? We would be talking bout bringing in 10+ players.

I’m all for upgrading, but in such quantities in one transfer window, howay people, let’s be realistic!

• 26 joeinthecheapseats // Jul 4, 2013 at 9:21 AM

There’s still a long way to go in this window and as much as people like perchino a lot sat around me at the games last season thought it was wrong when he got in the first team ahead of Anita with Liverpool at home springing to mind.
    Obertan Shola and a few others need selling to allow other better players to come in this season.
    As for the ground being half empty it won’t happen in a million years people up here love the game and with a better manager our team would finish a lot higher in the league.
    If I was Ashley I think I would offer Chelsea their money back and get Demba back.

• 27 one Tony Green // Jul 4, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Agree with Torq Anita and Bigi are much better players than Perch ( great lad but not good enough for us). Would also see NUFc make some commitment to our other young players like Bard Inman.

• 28 Mag52 // Jul 4, 2013 at 1:47 PM

I think it’s about time a number of bloggers got real about the prospects for NUFC for as long as Mike Ashley is in charge.
    With this guy at the helm, success will be retaining our position in the premiership. With a slice of good fortune, we could reach the latter stages of a cup competition. That’s about it !
    James Perch was just the sort of player we needed to keep if we hope to stay in the top division, and Pardew knew this. Someone who could be relied on to do a job either in midfield or defence, who had a good record regarding injuries, and who had no problem with sitting on the bench when required to do so, is exactly the sort of player that a pedestrian premiership club needs on their staff.
    We’re all going to have to keep our expectations under control as long as MA owns the club and just hope that by the time he tires of his plaything we still have a club in the top division to support.

• 29 Diggedydaws // Jul 4, 2013 at 3:00 PM

We should be offering chelsea their money back for Ba

previous post: Newcastle Born Youngster Keen To Break Through On Tyneside

next post: Will Newcastle Go After Loic Remy This Summer?