The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Italian At Home In Newcastle – I Love The City So Much

8:37 am, Saturday, July 6th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 11 Comments

Davide Santon arrived at Newcastle just less than two years ago for just over £5M from Inter-Milan, and Davide returned to training this week, and seems upbeat about Newcastle and what we can do next season.

davide santon close up

Davide Santon – very upbeat about Newcastle

Davide was interviewed yesterday on nufcTV, and he talked about becoming a new father, his ambitions for Newcastle and the fact that he loves the city.

This is some of what the 22 year-old Italian International had to say:

“When I came here from Inter, the dream was to play in Europe at St James’s Park.” “We did that. Now the dream is to go back there.”

“Newcastle is a big club and we have all of the resources to play in those big games. We have great fans, and we are a well-supported team like Inter.”

“We know we have to improve on last season.” “We have shown we have a good team here. I feel like we are a team that can beat anybody, especially at St James’s Park, when we have our full team available with no injuries.”

“I came here to play in Europe, and this club should be in Europe,” “One day I hope to go back to the San Siro wearing a black and white shirt.”

“That would be the ultimate dream for me.” “I love the city very much,” “I have my girlfriend here.” “When I first arrived here, I had my family with me. But now I feel at home.”

We watched the film on Thursday on Newcastle’s web site of the players returning to the Benton training grounds, and Davide was going around shaking everybody’s hand and slapping people on the back – it was like the first day back at school – and he really seemed to be happy to be back with his team mates.

Davide really feels at home at Newcastle, and of course it helps to have a Geordie girlfriend and now a new baby.

Things are a little somber at the moment on Tyneside, mainly because of our inability to bring a top striker into the club, but our squad is very strong and striker may be the only position we have to strengthen in the summer,

Davide has proved himself to be a good player for Newcastle, and in his first two seasons on Tyneside he has 65 appearances and one goals at Wigan., and he has 8 full caps for Italy.

We are expecting big things from the Italian this coming season.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Davide Santon · Europa League · European Champions League · European Competition · Newcastle News

11 responses so far ↓

• 1 IITianToon // Jul 6, 2013 at 8:42 AM

WOW Ed the time between my request and you posting was < 5 mins. Super Ed!

And reply to @peaco
    Have you ever seen Colo and Mbiwa hoof the ball? Why did Krul hoof the ball so much, because he couldnt trust Willo/Saylor to play out from the back.
    I for one feel that the team will try to play football the right way, irrespective of Pards’ thinking.

• 2 toonarmydownsouth // Jul 6, 2013 at 8:45 AM

Really like this lad, best youngster at the club

• 3 toonarmydownsouth // Jul 6, 2013 at 8:45 AM

Toonarmydownsouth
    5 mins ago

Not too long ago our genius owner was looking to offer this clown a role in our youth set up

Mike Ashley, you sir are an absolute ****

Seriously every club in the league are taking full advantage of the increased TV revenue except you, Swansea are showing you how it should be done when you qualify for Europe, just like hew Jenkins said he would

Oh I forgot, we owe the very existence of the club due to your immenses generosity
    Ffs

Toonarmydownsouth
    0 mins ago
    So lads, just for giggles, which current PL striker would you like too see bought in that would be a good fit for us and show some ambition??

• 4 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jul 6, 2013 at 8:50 AM

tads…british or non british?

• 5 TorqToon // Jul 6, 2013 at 8:53 AM

Are we really that desperate for a signing that we are devastated the scum have bought Altidore??!!

He is REALLY not all that! Good record last couple seasons, but before that, he was dire.

Theyve just bought an equivalent Danny Graham esq player.

Relax lads, plenty of time! Danno has us pretty much done for remy.

Good morning to you all.

• 6 Spotlight Kid // Jul 6, 2013 at 8:56 AM

Toonarmydownsouth

Luis Suarez.

• 7 Bearsize // Jul 6, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Good lad davide! Unfairly criticised on this blog. Was our best player up till january. Lad is only 22 can be a world beater if he wants it

• 8 Harley // Jul 6, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Spotlight

If its fantasy premier league signings, I’d take aguero.

• 9 Spotlight Kid // Jul 6, 2013 at 9:47 AM

Harley – I’m serious. Suarez is a nutter in many ways, and an objectionable character in many others (but that hat fits our current DOF as well, so he’d be right at home), but there’s no doubting his impact up front.

He doesn’t wander around aimlessly in an offside position picking daisies like Cisse – and any team with Suarez in would never be in the relegation zone; even if he was suspended for 1 in 3 games.

And he could bite Pards, JFK or Ashley any day for me….

• 10 Spotlight Kid // Jul 6, 2013 at 9:49 AM

…think about it – he is bang in the mould of a certain Tino Asprilla.

• 11 The next Mike Williamson // Jul 6, 2013 at 1:53 PM

We brought in 5 in January and it is only the first week of July. Most other clbs have only been linked with players and not much info leaks out of St James so it’s a bit early to panic

previous post: Swansea Bid Almost £14M For Newcastle Target