Are Newcastle In For Manchester City Winger?

It’s been pointed out to us today that the betting on Manchester City’s Scott Sinclair signing for Newcastle United has gone from 20/1 to 1/4 this morning.

scott sinclair

Scott Sinclair – are Newcastle interested?

Of course SkyBet has been wrong before, and after our 2-1 defeat by Reading at home in January, we remember that Alan Pardew was 1/5 to get the sack at Newcastle, but he survived and Mike Ashley brought in five new Frenchmen the following week.

Scott moved from Swansea to Manchester City last summer, but the move was ill-advised and Scott found it very difficult to make the Manchester City first team, and he appeared only 14 times last season with only three starts, and it’s clear he has no future in Manchester.

The 24 year-old has played for the England U21 side, and for Great Britain last summer, and will want to put his career back on track – so maybe Sky knows something we don’t – but maybe not.

But it would be good if Newcastle can get somebody through the door soon, and at the right price, Scott could be a good signing for Newcastle.

Sky Bet Football Trader Chris Spicer had this to say:

“In a market which has previously seen very little money, we have taken a strong run of bets on Sinclair’s next club being Newcastle, prompting the price to plummet.”

“With nothing apparent in the media domain on such a deal happening, we’re assuming the money is coming from those in the know, although it’s always difficult to tell during the season of speculation.”

Scott started his career at Bristol City before moving to Chelsea in 2006, and he was sent out on loan to a number of clubs – including Plymouth Argyle, Queens Park Rangers. Charlton Athletic, Crystal Palace, Birmingham City and Wigan Athletic to get first team experience,  before being sold to Swansea City in 2010 for around £1M.

In his two seasons at Swansea Scott did very well, and in 91 games he scored 36 goals for the Welsh side.

Manchester City paid around £6M for him last summer, and if the Magpies can get him in for about half that figure, it could be a good deal.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• G

Jul 8, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Given how many bodies are leaving, if we can get one through the door soonest, I would be happier. He isn’t as good a player I feel as his transfers have implied, but he certainly isn’t a bad player either. He was never going to get a chance at City though.

• John Tudor

Jul 8, 2013 at 1:33 PM

no point in commenting

• Black and White with an army lol

Jul 8, 2013 at 1:33 PM

bring him in end off story

• pawl250

Jul 8, 2013 at 1:37 PM

Sean

Yes, De Jong for me would play behind Cisse, but would also like Sissoko did, when playing in the drop off role, he will drop back and defend if needed.

This would leave Ben Arfa and Remy in more advanced positions on the pitch.

We would have a very quick counter attack with Benny, Remy and Cisse.

De Jong, Sissoko and Cabaye in the midfield. Almost like a 4-3-3.

Sissoko — De Jong — Cabaye

Ben Arfa — Cisse ——- Remy

That would be lethal, and hard working. I know Remy and Arfa wont put in a shift though, but it would be hard for opposing teams to defend if the players manage to blend together well.

I mean talking about subs, you still have likes of Tiote and Anita defensive minds, or alternatively Gouffran and Marv to attack.

Would be a very versatile squad, only question is would Pardew manage them right?!

Would he also drop his favourites like STaylor, Jonas, Tiote?

• richyg01

Jul 8, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Just on the back of this slash in odds, I looked where else we cropped up in SkyBet’s odds:

Scott Sinclair 1/4
    Gary Hooper 33/1
    Demba Ba 14/1
    Callum McManaman 20/1

• pawl250

Jul 8, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Fernando Torres?! LOL

A bit ambitious, try 20m+ for that one to see the light of day!

Never in a million years!

Wouldn’t mind Micah Richards! But he is too good for us!

I think Remy, De Jong and Sinclair would prove a good window if we manage to pull that off, could I be greed and say N’Koulou too?! LOL

I am dreaming I know! But they are each individually realistic targets!

Just hope we don’t lose our better players. You don’t improve by selling your better players!

For me Krul, Colo, Mbiwa, Cabaye, Sissoko, Arfa, Cisse are key members, possibly Tiote if he started playing the way he used to play when first coming to us.

Since his Arsenal goal the guy thinks hes Iniesta! Long shots almost ALL the time and dribbling in circles in his own half under pressure!

Why cant he go back to basics!

• G

Jul 8, 2013 at 1:45 PM

From that list there are only a couple of players I would be happy to have in the squad. Some of them are a little past their sell by date to say the least (Jenas? Distin?).

• NEWEXPATMAGPIE

Jul 8, 2013 at 1:46 PM

If they signed a Binman from Jesmond Council !

Plus a Tea Lady from Whitley Bay Leisure Centre, then it would at least tell me they are doing something?

All this Inactivity is almost too much to bear!

• Black and White with an army lol

Jul 8, 2013 at 1:47 PM

pawl250

you missed Sissoko as our key player

• SeanNufc87

Jul 8, 2013 at 1:48 PM

pawl

for me id rather cisse as the 10 role rather than de jong, he can flick a ball on surprisingly well! and he would struggle to be offside being the main bonus, plus hes still advanced enough to cause a real danger in the box.

as for jonas tiote and stevie t, im hoping tiote had a one off bad season, but will be back to terrorising the attacking players of oposite teams.
    jonas is more suited to a cm role since he lost his yard of pace after bulking up, he had one of the best tackle per game ratios last season n can do a job in a central role imo (backup mind)
    with stevie t, im on the oposite end, i think the lad will give everything he has and does so every week, sure he might occasionally try and use his hands like krul, then start rubbing his thigh vigorously and overly dramatic for the ref but i think hes solid otherwise.

• Black and White with an army lol

Jul 8, 2013 at 1:49 PM

pawl250

sorry mate i mean’t Marv

• Joe Blog

Jul 8, 2013 at 1:52 PM

SeanNufc

Huh, Cisse no10? You weren’t advising Pardew on tactics last season, were you?

• richyg01

Jul 8, 2013 at 1:53 PM

From that list, I would like to see us try for:

Scott Sinclair 1/4
    Micah Richards 12/1
    Darren Bent 6/4
    Loic Remy 2/1
    Victor Moses 20/1
    Franco Di Santo 10/1
    Victor Wanyama 50/1
    Gary Hooper 33/1
    Demba Ba 14/1
    Callum McManaman 20/1

• SeanNufc87

Jul 8, 2013 at 1:53 PM

tell you what,

micah richards isnt actually as unlikely as you might think, he barely played last season, depends on if pell boy will play him but i think we would be one of few clubs to go for him.

am i dreaming?

• pawl250

Jul 8, 2013 at 1:53 PM

BAWWA

Nope I didn’t, Sissoko is in that list of Key members.

• G

Jul 8, 2013 at 1:53 PM

Back to the story, does anybody else think Sinclair is one of those players who only really looks great in a fairly crap side? If he signs for us he has a very good chance of looking world class!

• Rotonda heights

Jul 8, 2013 at 1:53 PM

IAN TOON

You do seem increasingly obsessed with me. I appear to hold an unquenchable fascination for you and as flattering as that is I can think of more exciting stalkers but just my luck I have to get the one who is an insomnia cure.

Of course having your FA badges makes you a brilliant manager. Silly me what can I be thinking. Yes the FA have turned out so many good coaches haven’t they.

• richyg01

Jul 8, 2013 at 1:54 PM

@16

I think he is a decent player, but yes, maybe just that when surrounded by average players, he is the stand out guy!?

• SeanNufc87

Jul 8, 2013 at 1:55 PM

jb

number 10 is still an advanced attacking role, its what rooney plays, n i personally think its more suited to his… inabilities.

• pawl250

Jul 8, 2013 at 1:55 PM

BAWWAA

Ahh right, I don’t see Marv as key personally, he is not what I would class as key anyway.

Hes like Ben Arfa admittedly, but goes missing alot more, and his tracking back is even worse the Ben Arfas, if that is even possible!

He is technically gifted, but feel he has alot more to prove, or give than I actually see.

• Joe Blog

Jul 8, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Can’t believe one of europe’s elite STs, Mario Gomez, has just signed for Fiorentina for an initial £13.7m, possibly rising to £17m!

• pawl250

Jul 8, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Sean,

I agree about STaylor, he has qualities others may not possess. But I feel Mbiwa is more technically gifted, he will play the ball more comfortably, like Colo.

He also will give just as much effort. I feel Mbiwa should be our starting CB, alongside Colo.

I feel Cisse up top for me is a must, he has proven he does little else on wings etc. His goals/games ratio in the centre dramatically improved his seasons stats. I mean before Ba departure I think he scored 1 maybe 2?

• John Tudor

Jul 8, 2013 at 2:01 PM

pi55 poor owner
    ” ” intent =
    pi55 club

• G

Jul 8, 2013 at 2:01 PM

“Cisse is a central player, but I feel his best position is off the defender shoulder, granted someone needs to explain the offside rule!”

To be fair, thats down to the way he plays, and how many of those decisions for offside were actually incorrect? I’m not saying he’s never offside, but he isn’t anywhere near as bad as the stats show for offsides. MOTD replays show more than half his offsides last season were poor calls from the assistants.

• John Tudor

Jul 8, 2013 at 2:02 PM

not what i intended to say

• kt97toonarmy

Jul 8, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Well i rate this kid quite a bit if am honest hes quick and a winger who has an idea on how to beat a defender plus hes about 5 of gutierezz and much younger.

• SeanNufc87

Jul 8, 2013 at 2:05 PM

G

He’s still offside far too much, but I will concede he has been judged unfairly by the officials last season, I seem to remember 3 goals that shouldn’t have been chalked off. Perhaps his reputation has preceded him.

• pawl250

Jul 8, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Sean

Micah Richards only missed out last season from injury. He was very much the starting right back until that injury.

I feel his position in the team will only be more solidified with Pellgrini in charge.

He is the commanding centre back most PL teams dream of! He is only just 25, and for me one of the better English defenders.

I personally would go him and Jones in the world cup. Jagielka and Cahill scream disaster!

Off topic but my England team would be

———————– Hart ———————
    Walker — Richards — Jones —— Cole
    ————- Wilshere — Cleverly ———-
    Walcott ———- Rooney ———- Zaha
    ———————- Carroll ——————-

• kt97toonarmy

Jul 8, 2013 at 2:10 PM

cleverly just no theres so much better

• pawl250

Jul 8, 2013 at 2:18 PM

I like Cleverly, I feel Lampard and Gerrard are past it.

Name another central midfielder, hard working who can pass a ball.

This would be a very quick England team, only way Gerrard would get in my team is if injuries occured (always likely with Wilshere).

Just feel we need a change, Cole is still top draw.

The only other option I would change is Zaha, he is still raw and maybe not ready, so I would choose Baines as left wing, he would be so effective, can cross, shoot, score and take a free kick and penalty!

Similar to Santon, only better!

Infact I think he is better going forwards than his defensive game! so its even more suited to him. He would also help in defence unlike the lazy Young, or Welbeck!

• Ian Toon

Jul 8, 2013 at 2:18 PM

17Rotonda heights // Jul 8, 2013 at 1:53 PM
    I appear to hold an unquenchable fascination for you……….yawn!

On the contrary your repeating the same tripe ad nauseum- give it a rest!
    Your getting to be as bad as Catchy at his worst!

• oldbobaycliffe

Jul 8, 2013 at 2:20 PM

seeing pardew couldn,t get perch an extension to his contract proves that none of the players that come in or leave will be pardews choice but kinnears and carrs only and if pardew plays the newcomers in the wrong positions as he did last season could mean he will be the first manager to lose his job this season.

• kt97toonarmy

Jul 8, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Ive never liked gerrard or cleverly ive always thought there both overated because they play for big teams cause the last england squad was picked between 6 clubs they were man u man city arsenal liverpool everton tottenham that shows how limited and lazy hodgson and his team are

• kt97toonarmy

Jul 8, 2013 at 2:25 PM

Oh i forgot chelsea taking that up to 7

• John Tudor

Jul 8, 2013 at 2:26 PM

what new players coming in i forsee none

• G

Jul 8, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Speaking of the ‘sack race’, anbody go the latest odds on AP to win this year? I fancy a flutter, and given what has and is happening at the toon this year, it might be worth a tenner bet

• John Tudor

Jul 8, 2013 at 2:27 PM

till the last day, freebies hasbeens ,and the like .ashleys fortitude

• Tinman

Jul 8, 2013 at 2:27 PM

pawl, playing Baines as LW wouldnt work, or at least not as effectively as him at LB. The reason he gets into great positions is because he takes advantage of lazy wingers, then its 2 on 1 v opposition RB, the winger draws the RB whilst Baines charges into the space in behind.
    Playing LB and LW are a lot more different than some people seem to think

• Mister Tuff

Jul 8, 2013 at 2:29 PM

I see Nile Ranger has just been charged with rape.
    Well this must be a surprise to those on here that say footballers do not get charged with rape -or the the envelope stuffed with cash will buy silence. Duh —–tools.

• kt97toonarmy

Jul 8, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Well we have a problem with english players or lack of them so as we r linked with bent tomkins and sinclier but who wud u all go 4 suggestions

1 2 3 5