The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Kinnear Was Brought In Because It Just Wasn’t Working

9:40 am, Tuesday, July 9th, 2013 by Ed Harrison · 27 Comments

Another explanation today from Alan Pardew about how the new structure at Newcastle should work, this time in the Newcastle Journal.

joe kinnear 1234

Joe Kinnear – essentially replaced Derek LLambias

Alan hinted yesterday that Mike Ashley and Derek LLambias fell out over the last few months of the season, and that led ultimately to Joe Kinnear being brought in, and Derek LLambias moving out.

Today, Alan says it just wasn’t working,  but would not go into details – that’s a pity. :D

Here’s what Alan said today:

“We are one of those clubs who find it difficult to move early,” “If you’re Manchester United, Arsenal, Chelsea you are sure you can do your business now although West Brom have brought Nicolas Anelka in, which is a good signing.”

“You like things sooner rather than later, but if I have to wait a bit longer then I have no problem with that. I could put a team out at Man City that could win at Man City with what we have got now. But I need to strengthen the background for a 38-game season.”

“If I’m honest, I think the change with Joe has probably given it a boost,” “I got on well with Derek and Derek did a fantastic job for this club. For whatever reason, I don’t want to go into details, that wasn’t working. It wasn’t working for Joe to be brought in.”

“If Joe can get it to work and take this club forward then that’s good.” “I’m comfortable in so much as Joe’s role will be to influence Mike in the decisions I think are important. Sometimes having somebody else with football knowledge could help and I hope that’s a positive.”

“It doesn’t work too differently to how it worked before. The job for Graham Carr, is to locate players, we’re obviously after a striker, we’ve got four or five on our list that he feels could do the job.”

“I have to consider what would fit into the team and also I have to consider finance.” “Joe’s job is to nail that all down and get the best possible solution that I want.”

“There is a but, though. A very big but.” “The lines of responsibility are quite defined,” “The football is my business.”

“It’s my job to manage this football team, these players and this group of staff to the best of my ability and that’s what I’m going to do.

“I’ve got a seven-year contract (or rather that is how long left on his eight-year deal) to do that. Anybody who’s worked with me will know I work in a manner that I want to be positive and I want my team to certainly produce better performances than we did last year.

“At times during the season I’m sure me and Joe will have conversations around the team but ultimately I’m the manager and it’s my responsibility. I have to make the decisions I think are right and I’ll do that.”

So Joe Kinnear has been brought in because Mike Ashley was not happy at the way the transfers were being handled – that seems to be the core of it.

And it probably came to a head because Newcastle were left wanting last season, when some of our top players were injured,  and the youngsters and the fringe players showed they were just not good enough.

So we’ll see this summer how well it works with Joe Kinnear now in charge of all transfers.

For the sake of the club we hope he does well – we hope he does very well.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

27 responses so far ↓

• 1 Jail for Ashley // Jul 9, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Having Glastonbury held on his fat face is too good for Ashley.

• 2 TorqToon // Jul 9, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Proof is in the pudding….!

Get some signings and prove your worth fellas!

• 3 pawl250 // Jul 9, 2013 at 9:45 AM

Joe -

He was respectful enough to state why he mentioned what he did in this instance Bent is not even in Villas pre season, its clear as day he will be transferred with or without Benteke signing!

I think Pardew as stated has been respectful to other players whose clubs may wish to keep the players we have targeted.

Nothing wrong with what he said, clearly you just have a biased view and are Anti-Pardew.

Look am not, and never really have been positive about Pardew, I felt his appointment was underwhelming! His finishing 5th accomplishment is amazing, atleast in PL terms! But he was restricted with injuries last season, never able to name a full starting 11 for arguably 90-95% of last season. And when I say not name, I do not mean 1-2 players like most clubs, I was talking about 6-8 players at any time, with back up for those players injured also!

Give the guy a chance, he will I feel have his final chance this season. Wait and see, whats the worst the could happen?

Poor start, sacked by Jan, Good start all is dandy!

• 4 TorqToon // Jul 9, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Numba9 – Exactly.

Lack Of squad depth and added pressure of a relegation battle all led to our players coming back before properly allowed to recover.

Last summer, MASSIVE mistakes were made. Really hope we have learnt our lesson!

• 5 toonarmydownsouth // Jul 9, 2013 at 9:51 AM

ED
    You missed the part of the interview where he confirmed we were still interested in remy

• 6 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jul 9, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Torq…I thought is was in the eating ;) lol

• 7 pawl250 // Jul 9, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Torq -

One of my mates is a fitness expert and is based in Newcastle city. He has contacts within and around the club fitness related.

Although I never get much information, I do know that he stated when reviewing why the likes of our players do get injured it is mainly down to them not being monitored when not in training.

He used Ben Arfa as an example. He said he finished training the day before match day, went to the gym and did weights on his legs.

He said it was an intense session, with no one advising him, he was arguably just think if I do this it will help?! In other words he had no one spotting him, watching him.

The next day he played, I believe it was Villa? And he got injured. Apparently my mate, who is into all this fitness, muscle treatment etc given his job stated his intense training the day before tightened his muscles before matchday.

This is apparently the worst thing you can do, and he was 99% sure it because of this extra, intense session of weight training, without supervision that caused his injury.

This goes for most players, no one watching them beyond what we may call working hours? Perhaps focusing on appointments of set players instead of what people may/may not do beyond a normal training session.

How much this is true, I am not sure but my mate is pretty reliable and sees Pappiss Cisse on a constant basis in and around his gym/fitness club.

Again, no supervision, other than staff on site who belong to that gym!

If this is true, its alarming.

• 8 Sawbuck // Jul 9, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Torq

I’m all for these therapies. I’m a believer in aromatherapy and vitamin c megadosing.

Jail

Pard was already doing at the end of last season when he was bigging Adam Campbell.

• 9 toonarmydownsouth // Jul 9, 2013 at 9:54 AM

Wow Charlie Austin’s move to hull is off because he’s failed his medical!
    Expect him to sign for us any day then lads ;)

• 10 peasngravy // Jul 9, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Morning lads,
    Torq, Toon Danno, any updates on Remy and Siem De Jong, those 2 would be cracking signings, particularly if your right about an £8m bid for Luuk De Jong Fog on the Tyne, with these types of signings we can get back up the top end of the league, where we belong

• 11 jimmysmith // Jul 9, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Poor Pards, always gives me the impression that he’s Lowing smoke up our arses as his actions seem to be speaking louder than his words, sadly for him.

Really needs to get this good group of players firing, or I’m afraid he won’t be taken seriously, even by the most forgiving amongst us.

• 12 croftus5678 // Jul 9, 2013 at 9:57 AM

‘@4 torq

agree

those going are pretty much useless to the squad (apart from perch but we do have anita/bigi)

if we sign a winger guti can be used in utility lb/rb/dm/rw/lw when needed.

• 13 TorqToon // Jul 9, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Pawl – That makes a lot of sense.

Every professional player should have a SET fitness regime and never drift from that.

Monitoring players in and away from the club is so important, and clearly another reason where we fall short. Hopefully your friend was able to relay his concerns to the club, and have this rectified.

• 14 Jamiemac // Jul 9, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Sounds like this whole JK business might not be so bad! If only he had kept his mouth shut!

• 15 Raffo // Jul 9, 2013 at 9:58 AM

I would love the De Jong brothers, in addition to Sinclair, and maybe Bent as back up. Would be cracking. Add Sakho in any deal with PSG if Cabaye wants to go and we are really there IMHO. An additional dream signing for me would be Micha Richards, would provide cover at RB and CB where I think we would be done then.

• 16 pawl250 // Jul 9, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Just read the article, or more to the point things Pardew is and has been saying.

I have to say its all very positive, not that he would say otherwise but its a good vibe.

Hopefully the good vibe continues.

I totally agree we have 11 players who could win all PL teams on any given day. BUT I do feel 1 or 2 signings are needed before pre season, definitely 1 striker!

If we could get De Jong or Remy in it would calm my nerves.

I feel the club is conducting business in a similar mold to last year. They will only buy a player if he is right for the club, for the right price.

Its been pretty successful so far considering we have managed to get the following in the past 3-4 years-

Debuchy, Santon, Mbiwa, Haidara, Tiote, Ben Arfa, Marveaux, Anita, Cisse, Ba, Sissoko, Cabaye.

All of the above are good players, with time to improve or good resale value, even Ba we made an arguable 3.5m profit getting him on a free (of course thats not taking agent/signing on fee into account).

Look we have improved our squad over the past 5 years, allow it to continue and I am sure it will improve more.

I do feel, a more promising manager could finish higher, but Pardew deserves another chance. AND for once we have some stability in terms of management, or atleast for current times given Pardew is 2nd in the longest serving manager in PL now, only behind Wenger!

• 17 TorqToon // Jul 9, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Peasngravy – Nothing more mate.

As far as I know, we are still discussing the sisituation with de jongs representatives and if things look good, we will go to the club with an offer.

Remember the days when you couldnt communicate regarding a player until a fee was agreed?!?!?!

How times change. :-)

• 18 martoon // Jul 9, 2013 at 10:02 AM

I think on Pardew you can have a pop at him about the standard of football, tactics, hoofball etc. However I think it is very unfair to cricise when he talks to the press. I think this is one of his strengths and you can tell he tries to give honest, measured responses to keep the fans informed without giving to much away about targets etc. This is obviously a fine balancing act and there are bound to be times when he doesn’t quite get it right.

• 19 numba9 // Jul 9, 2013 at 10:03 AM

You would think the manager would be able to identify a player he needs not just the scouts job, I think scouting is more needed at the roots of football than at the management end ,getting local youngsters and making them the next Beardsley or gazza . Back your manager at the top end with some cash and back your scouts witha top coaching and if that means a Spanish coach so be it

• 20 JackButler // Jul 9, 2013 at 10:04 AM

If PSG really want Cabaye then we should be asking for 10 million plus Kévin Gameiro and Mamadou Sakho

• 21 peasngravy // Jul 9, 2013 at 10:05 AM

I hope you don’t get put off posting your snippets of info Torq, don’t listen to any numpties, there in a very small minority and I for one know your a genuine fan who only wants to bring us any potential good news, keep it up.

• 22 pawl250 // Jul 9, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Raffo

For me De Jong, Remy would be enough to improve us considerably.

If we lose STaylor or any defender for that matter we need to replace them.

I am not sure M Richards, or Sakho are or ever will be realistic targets.

Bent and Sinclair I feel is smoke and mirrors.

I hope we sign Luuk and Siem, but would be shocked if we do.

Remy almost seems an obvious interest, but will it come off, I am not so sure.

Time will tell. Remember though, Luuk and Remy have been targets before and were picked for a reason last year.

It could be the same reason we are back in for them. Wouldn’t suprise me. I mean apparently we went for Cisse 2 times before actually signing him.

• 23 Schwefelberg // Jul 9, 2013 at 10:07 AM

I doubt Llambias and Ashley fell out.

He did his job.. run the club like a casino. Get cash up front and cash on the door. Just like Sports Direct which is 85% cash only business.

And Ashley and Pardew are gamblers with Llambias an expert on the London gambling world. He’s from Gibraltar — an accountancy bank and bookmaker land.

If ever you wanted someone to anonymize your transactions he’d be your man.

• 24 cyprus // Jul 9, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Have you run that past Joe? Guys, guys, guys, i.e. AP, JK, Carr, you haven’t exactly figured this out have you ;)

Mike, dude, can you sort this out man? Maybe bring in a fourth person to referee the previous three. Or fire them all and let’s start again.

• 25 numba9 // Jul 9, 2013 at 10:16 AM

We need two top strikers to improve and have cover. Also two centre backs I would love Richards and a winger pref Sinclair business done

• 26 chuck // Jul 9, 2013 at 10:20 AM

It was obvious to many that having Llambias as GM was like the blind leading the blind, being niether Ashley or Llambias knew diddly squat about football.
    At least Joe -though not my choice- knows something about the game, but his virtually having been out of the game for so long, leaves him struggling, no matter how he claims otherwise.
    As for Pardew, he does’nt understand the modern game, and will never be successful.
    Of course Ashley has no clue, he thought a fifth place finish proved Llambias choice of Pardew a good one but could’nt understand why we were fighting to stave off relegation, having given eight year deals to everyone involved.
    Dont worry, Joe will put a word in his ear and if he’s smart he will stay as Director of football and hire a decent young manager who can utilise the talents we have , instead of playing hoofball and boring the fans to death.
    After all is football not supposed to be entertaining, i mean thats why we watch it , no?

• 27 Rotonda heights // Jul 9, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Torq

This statement from you below is coming from the horses mouth so to speak so I put a lot of stock in it as it’s something I’ve always suspected but it won’t stop the abuse from the likes of Ian ” Mr charisma ” toon.

”Our failings come when it gets to rehab from injury. I feel we rush our players back to fitness and don’t allow sufficient recovery time from these injuries.

Our coaching methods are antiquated and far too relaxed (going off last year!) and we need a rocket up the arse to get serious.

There is one major flaw to our training and coaching, but several little problems that snowballed out of control last season.”

previous post: Pardew – Newcastle Have Four Or Five Striker Targets