The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Manager Has Big Ambitions For Ben Arfa

1:30 pm, Tuesday, July 9th, 2013 by Ed Harrison · 130 Comments

Hatem Ben Arfa is a popular player on Tyneside, and we are looking forward to the French International having a great season for us next term.

ben arfa weraing wonga yesterday

Ben Arfa in training yesterday

And it seems Alan Pardew has big ambitions for Ben Arfa too, as he has talked today about the 25 year-old Frenchman, who has so far been capped 13 times for France.

This is what Alan Pardew said in the local papers today:

“For example, if Hatem gets in the French national team, you can imagine what it would do for his confidence.”

“So they’re all things I want to happen.” “I want Hatem to play at a World Cup. I think he can play for France. I think Cabaye can play for France.”

“I think Moussa could play for France next year, and maybe even Mapou.”   “He’s got the experience. If he had a fantastic year this year, he could make it.”

But one of the problems Ben Arfa has is the French manager Didier Deschamps, who captained France to that stunning 3-0 win in the 1998 World Cup final against Brazil, doesn’t get on too well with the 25 year-old Frenchman.

Didier was the manager at Marseilles when Ben Arfa essentially walked out in August three years ago, and took a flight to Newcastle in an attempt to force through a move to the club he wanted to join – Newcastle United.

And when Ben Arfa arrived on Tyneside, he remembered how some great French wingers had played for Newcastle, which is just one reason he wanted to join Newcastle.

And the love affair with the Tyneside club doesn’t seem to have diminished, and Ben Arfa now wants a new five-year deal at Newcastle, and we think he;ll get it although he;s been injured a lot over the last three years and has played only 56 times, but with 11 great goals and 10 assists.

Ben Arfa is in no rush at all to leave Newcastle, and he’s one of the many good players we already have at the club.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Hatem Ben Arfa · International News · Newcastle News · World Cup 2014

130 responses so far ↓

• 1 John Tudor // Jul 9, 2013 at 1:34 PM

not depressed far from it a loverly 25,000 g to spend but the best thing about life is i have an opinion you lot by deriding me only show limited intelligence in your arguments.im entitled to my opinions as you are yours, less deriding and a bit more debating

• 2 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jul 9, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Repost:

Pawl…We had injuries and we were quite unlucky with the likes of Benny, Krul and Colo, but lets not kid ourselves. We didn’t even do well before injuries really hit us and we actually did worse after signing 5 players in January.

This is how many PL games those players you mentioned played last season:

Krul: 24/38
    Debuchy: 14/17
    Simpson: 19/38 – Was backup for Debuchy when he signed
    Mbiwa: 14/17
    Colo: 22/38 – Injured his back trying to do a overhead kick (wanted to leave the club as well)
    Santon: 31/38
    Haidara: 4/17 – Was backup player for Santon
    Cabaye: 26/38 – Had a depression
    Tiote: 24/38 – Had ACON duty
    Sissokko: 12/17
    Benny: 19/38 – Hamstrings was grossly mismanaged by the club
    Saylor: 25/38 – Not bad for Stevie last season
    Cissé: 36/38
    Ba: 20/21

I don’t think it’s so bad beside loosing Krul, Colo and Benny for too long. The problem was that we suddenly had to rely on our fringe players and young players in the time of crisis and our top players under-performing!

Than and hubris from both players, owner and manager (plus negative tactics and subs) can sum up our season I think.

• 3 TorqToon // Jul 9, 2013 at 1:36 PM

John – What has £25 grand to spend got to do with anything??!!

Be homest now, if we get relegated next season, would that please you because you would be proven correct?

• 4 Jamiemac // Jul 9, 2013 at 1:39 PM

If we’re being picky I’d like:

1 GK to back up Krul (Krul gets injured a heck of a lot for a gk and I don’t feel Elliott is good enough)
    1 CB (as 3rd/4th choice)
    1 LW (as a starter)
    1 RW (as back up to Benny)
    1 AM (someone fluid who takes control of a game)
    2 ST (to back up//push Cisse)

But realistically 1 LW, 1 CB and 1 ST will do.

• 5 John Tudor // Jul 9, 2013 at 1:40 PM

the moneys mine to do with as i see fit it will make me happy. as for getting relegated i will be more vociferous in my contempt at the owners lack of hindsight in the employment stakes

• 6 jazzyp // Jul 9, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Hba-quality player that would grace most pl sides,I just wish he could be more consultant throughout the season as he tends to try to much trickery at times when a simple pass would suffice

• 7 Jamiemac // Jul 9, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Torq

It’s great hearing the info passed on every now and then. Just wondering who you personally would liked signed?

• 8 John Tudor // Jul 9, 2013 at 1:42 PM

other poster referred to my doom and gloom 25000 goes a long way to lift any of that

• 9 TorqToon // Jul 9, 2013 at 1:45 PM

John – Well enjoy your money. But rest assured it won’t make you a better or happier person.

I dare say there are PLENTY of people on this blog with much more money to their name, but they don’t feel the need to advertise it, therefore are already more content in life that you are.

• 10 John Tudor // Jul 9, 2013 at 1:45 PM

torq by the end of the season if that were to happen heads should have rolled long before

• 11 jazzyp // Jul 9, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Consistent-damn phone

• 12 John Tudor // Jul 9, 2013 at 1:48 PM

torq im sure theyre are but who gives a toss if the guy who said i was in a cloud of doom (who knows me not from adam)kept his trap shut i wouldn’t of mentioned it

• 13 JackButler // Jul 9, 2013 at 1:49 PM

If HBA can stay fit for the whole season he can finally show what we all believe he is capable of

• 14 John Tudor // Jul 9, 2013 at 1:50 PM

any how if the wife gets it i may be doomed and gloomy

• 15 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 9, 2013 at 1:50 PM

jesper

Good work putting that into perspective. I think that’s a good summary. Hopefully we’ve learned out lessons for next season!

• 16 headtheball // Jul 9, 2013 at 1:50 PM

I know there is some doubt about the fitness of our players but do they have to wear BRAS in training?
    HWTL

• 17 Roy Morten // Jul 9, 2013 at 1:50 PM

If someone wants to add me as a friend on PS3 my nickname is: roymorten79

Sick of playing against Swimmingpool,Paris Serjant German…

• 18 DokToon // Jul 9, 2013 at 1:51 PM

gmorning all, from the dark side of the pond…

torq, good to see ya :) any good news yet?

john, youre quite the negative one, arent you… i dont even bother reading your posts anymore, no value whatsoever, maybe that 25k can help buy you a better attitude… good luck with that…

• 19 John Tudor // Jul 9, 2013 at 1:52 PM

i blank yours too narraback

• 20 richyg01 // Jul 9, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Fitness is key with HBA. Reminds me so much of Kieron Dyer.

• 21 mindshaft // Jul 9, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Johntudor – you’re wife gets it if you get doomed and gloomy???

what you mean she pops over the road to have it away with the neighbor ….fair play to her, prob wishes you have a sore head more often ;)

• 22 the truth will out // Jul 9, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Ho ho thats a tad strong, he is probably giving yours a good seeing to when you are out

• 23 SeanNufc87 // Jul 9, 2013 at 1:59 PM

Torq and Tudor going at it and now others weighing in.

This is still a football blog right?

• 24 SeanNufc87 // Jul 9, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Howay lads let’s leave the missus or mr’ s out of it eh?

• 25 SeanNufc87 // Jul 9, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Calm before the storm…

• 26 the truth will out // Jul 9, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Ithought it was for both sides of the coin,obviously it is only for the high and mighty one sided team of Ashley does no wrong Pardews lovers and kinnearites

• 27 the truth will out // Jul 9, 2013 at 2:04 PM

off disillusioned don’t blame anyone leaving this blog hearsay it won’t be up much more

• 28 TorqToon // Jul 9, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Sean – How am I going at it?!

John – Whatever said on here you have to take with a pinch of salt. I don’t enjoy seeing anybody targeted or anything, but bringing up wealth and trying to base your argument on that, is a real good way to become disliked. Nobody cares about money on here, unless Of course its mile ashleys. :-)

Somebody asked what would be MY choice of transfer window.

Well Remy and de jong for a start. Should cabs leave, I would want menez and sakho in the deal. Sell willo, shola etc.

That would do me.

• 29 Roy Morten // Jul 9, 2013 at 2:05 PM

If we made to big signings (CF,LW) who would to put on the bench? I really like Gouffran playing wide with his pace.. Even Santon could play on either wing i think.. For me there is really no player i would take out of the first 11.. For me its the bench who needs an upgrade.. Not easy for a manager to keep all players happy when were not a Champions League team..

• 30 SeanNufc87 // Jul 9, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Ttwo

What are you on about? Have I missed something? :s

• 31 pawl250 // Jul 9, 2013 at 2:06 PM

John 25k is not alot of money…. All I have to say on that is it wouldn’t last me long …

It also does not buy happiness!

Money is a necessity to get along with life nothing more, life is more important.

Would I love my life if I didnt have my family, friends, girlfriend, even my job to some extent so I can “live” life comfortably. I am fortunate in many ways.

I am quite content saying Newcastle will be top 10 next season, or more accurately 7th – 10th.

That is medi ocre in some peoples eyes, but I like to think of it as progress. The season we finished 5th was more fluke that other teams didn’t do well. A false position if you will.

I feel 7th – 10th I would be overjoyed with the ambition to break and stay in top 6 in the upcoming years.

I am optimistic, not blind.

Yet you merely come across as depressed all the time. That is all, I do not mind your opinion, but we have heard the broken record many times now.

• 32 JP...from The Rock // Jul 9, 2013 at 2:09 PM

My favourite player by a mile! Please sign that 5 year contract and stay injury free this season. Every time HBA get’s the ball I instantly stand up to attention, he’s just so exciting. Hopefully we will nick Remy from QPR and I can see both Frenchies linking up really well in the team.

• 33 GeordieDan // Jul 9, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Benteke has just put in a transfer request I see-must be because NUFC have put a bid in for him then. :D

Knock the last 3 letters of his name and about £20million and that probably closer to the mark. :(

To be fair IF Torque’s info turns out to be correct (and due to his honest snippets last season I don’t see why they would be too far wide of the mark) then I would be very happy with De Jong coming in and although Remy seems like a bit of a **** he’s one heck of a player and would be great in our team.

Bent coming in as well for £4million or so as Ameobi’s replacement-can’t really argue with those signings really beefing up our attacking options.

Come on NUFC.co.uk make my day by announcing a great signing like this out of the blue today. ;)

Why not?

• 34 SeanNufc87 // Jul 9, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Torq

Sorry I must have saw the generous use of exclamation points and question marks as a sign of extreme disagreement ;) how foolish of me.

• 35 pottsclock // Jul 9, 2013 at 2:13 PM

Hatem looks a bit chubby. Looked chubby towards the end of last season too probably because of injury. Is much better when his weight is down – let’s hope a good run without injury will get him back to peak fitness and speed….then we’ll have a match winner

• 36 toon kk // Jul 9, 2013 at 2:15 PM

All we can do is support our team. We know MA doesn’t care like we do. But it would be nice if he’d show some ambition.

• 37 SeanNufc87 // Jul 9, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Wonga trying to improve their image it would seem.

• 38 Mister Tuff // Jul 9, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Ill tempered hot sunny days!
    I wish some of you so called men would stop having a go a Tudor. He is entitled to post what he wants – just as you do.
    Some of his one liners do not always appeal -but every now and again there is a funny one.
    Whilst Tudor can stick up for himself -and does – it should be known that last year Tudor “hoyed a wobbler” and had to have heart surgery at the Freeman.
    Tudor is an older poster and has probably seen more Toon matches than you lot put together. Give him a break -big men!(not)

• 39 John Tudor // Jul 9, 2013 at 2:23 PM

well pawl that being it ,as for not lasting you too long is not bragging of wealth torq blow me just seems there would be some frivolous spending there all i said was one guy said i was doomy gloomy i stated i wasnt and had monies to spend, and far from bragging. shame the blog has been dragged to the depths where the titanic lies instead of being a pinnacle of debate

• 40 TorqToon // Jul 9, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Extremely foolish…

• 41 pawl250 // Jul 9, 2013 at 2:25 PM

Mister Tuff

I do not have an issue, but he complains if we criticize his posts, yet he is allowed to do it to ours?

I have no issue with constructive comment, even disagreeing with me and explaining why. But sarcy replies, mixed with blind contradiction when he says he can post what he wishes,

well so can we? Yet he doesn’t like it….. or agree with it so criticizes us. Contradictory much?!

I have no issue with him, don’t agree or condone any form of bullying but if people have a go at me, I will have a go back, but in a constructive manner, explaining my reasons.

Alot of people are negative on here, John included, I have no issue with that. BUT if you are not happy, or do not enjoy what the blog is about, in terms of posting and discussing things then why are you here?

Why complain? Why try bringing all of us happy campers down?

Like I said its not just towards John, although his comments are very …… frustrating, as he offers no reason why he feels the way he does.

I understand some people are upset and frustrated with the club but 80% of the posters will post a reason for feeling that way.

I have no intention of offending or bullying anyone. If thats the way it comes across.

• 42 pawl250 // Jul 9, 2013 at 2:30 PM

John it was me that said you seemed doom and gloomy.

I said it because it would seem that way?

I have no intention of asking about your personal life, my effort was more of why don’t you add more input to why you feel the way you do?

If you cannot be bothered, or get frustrated with those that still are positive then I do not see why you come on here.

Other people are arguably upset with the club (assuming you are its hard to tell) and still can accept those that aren’t.

As you rightly stated everyone has the right to say what they wish.

• 43 DokToon // Jul 9, 2013 at 2:30 PM

i wasnt attempting to be mean, money is the root of all evil, ask mr ashley ;)

if it was taken the wrong way mr tudor, my sincerest apologies…

• 44 SeanNufc87 // Jul 9, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Think we could do with announcing a signing soon to calm some tempers eh? Although knowing us lot it will just lead to a series of ‘I told you so’ but I have a good feeling something will be announced today or tomorrow. Dunno why? Maybe Danno knows why?

• 45 DokToon // Jul 9, 2013 at 2:32 PM

FYI, i am in the process of quitting smoking, and im a little snarky today…. again, my apologies…

• 46 pawl250 // Jul 9, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Also John 25k would not last many people long.

I am not wealthy, I am just simply stating it would not last long, perhaps a year…. or two when you take bills, phones, fuel and cars etc into account.

If it does last you, then so be it, good for you! And I hope it does bring you happiness, but it didn’t need to be mentioned in the first place, it was hardly relevant to happiness at all is my point?

• 47 jimmysmith // Jul 9, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Shouldn’t the caption under the photo read “Ben Arfa in a training bra yesterday”

What is that thing!

• 48 John Tudor // Jul 9, 2013 at 2:36 PM

thanx tuff eloquently put…
    this may be one of my last posts(no punctuation needed).
    i detest ashley
    pardew
    kinnear
    ashley will continue to take what he can and give very little
    yes he may have saved us short term long term no?
    i would forgive him if he showed more balls in appointments of crucial posts.
    the blog is not for slagging other users off its their opinions i give no credence to anyone not living next to the ground regardless of how long they supported the toon although it does register with me they do not have to put up with the shit from the unwashed i see on here peeps from over the water taking a wobbler over makem trolls try living here with it you would get a rude awakening what i post i give not a jot who cares they are my feelings not yours if you constantly mock me it shows to me i am a better man than you

• 49 Markaccus // Jul 9, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Afternoon all. Maaaaaaaannnnnn its hot.

• 50 Mister Tuff // Jul 9, 2013 at 2:40 PM

pawl – the blog should be a melting pot for all Toon supporters to chip in or air their views -from the “apparently well informed” supporter to the more exotic. As for “bringing everybody down” -come on man surely you do not really believe that – we all have beliefs/aspirations. its a bit like saying a bad/shocking news story on the tv news will push us over the edge of despair – well one way to solve it -ban all bad news stories. Having a multitude of views to consider allows one to shape your own personal views -to a better/more considered position.
    Whilst I do not aim this at you bringing the blokes missus into it is a step too far.

• 51 John Tudor // Jul 9, 2013 at 2:41 PM

only joking it is hot dok keep at it you can do it
    all i want is success i find it hard to come by with mr a and all it would take from him is a little consideration to the fans
    pardew will have to walk and
    kinnear to be abducted by aliens

• 52 Markaccus // Jul 9, 2013 at 2:42 PM

Ok argument time here i see. I will pop back later on…..

• 53 SeanNufc87 // Jul 9, 2013 at 2:43 PM

Awh, don’t go John! Your one line summary of things can be quite funny, and I see you as almost a grandfatherly figure of the blog! Like a grandparent that says things you don’t agree with but feel you shouldn’t argue with.

• 54 pawl250 // Jul 9, 2013 at 2:43 PM

John

I am from South Shields, I am surrounded by Sunderland fans in my estate.

I understand your frustration, but why do they get to you?!

They have nothing to brag about?!

They are buying players but all 6 or 7 cost under 10m, is that ambition?!

We spent 18m on our Jan transfers, that is 5 players. Which shows more ambition?

We attempted to buy PEA for 15m, who alone costs more than all their new signings added together!

You could also note that they berated us for signing “randoms” in January, but they have done it this summer, only worse as I have only heard of Altidore and I normally know alot of the younger upcoming players worthy of knowing.

Overall they have nothing to give you jip about! I laugh at them! They have a old, squad, thinner than ours!! A totally unproven manager, and a chairman in a similar mold of MA? His net spend is in the negative, and they have not been relegated recently to pay off losses like we did with ACarroll money.

No need to worry about the unwashed, I assure you they maybe, if not close to being relegated this season.

• 55 DokToon // Jul 9, 2013 at 2:47 PM

all,

i hear its hot there, however, many of you know i reside in houston, texas… was 103 yesterday here… so therefore, it aint hot there, lol :)

tudor, thanks for the support, quitting after 26 yrs is a tough go, but i think i need every year possible to see nufc actually win soemthing lol… therefore, cigs gotta go :)

• 56 pawl250 // Jul 9, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Mister Tuff

I know you didn’t aim it at me, but I never spoke a word about Johns Mrs, and never intend to.

Am here to talk about the team I adore, passionately!

I am for one, positive about the upcoming season! I will be even more so if we can get Remy and De Jong over the line!

Whether they are actually in talks etc. I am unsure, I have obviously heard the same as everyone else, but I hope so!

• 57 John Tudor // Jul 9, 2013 at 2:47 PM

sorry pawl my commiserations it was directed towards those on foreign shores who only guess at what goes on they don’t get to me as my dog will crap on their lawns i do of course pick it up tell me do you speak to people who think all is well in nufc or just the opposite

• 58 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Jul 9, 2013 at 2:48 PM

Could it be that the toon having shipped out Simpson, Harper retired AND Shola, Gosling, Williamson and Taylor reported on the move all on say £25 – £30 k a week – that would make a saving of £150-£180k

which the TOON are going to reduce the squad but invest in 2 or 3 quality players who will be on £50 -£60 k

Would make sense to me!!

• 59 G // Jul 9, 2013 at 2:49 PM

My best mate is a Dunderland fan, and even he admits that his side is a 100% unknown quantity this year. He suspects they might get relegated as the spine has been ripped out of their side, Di Canio is trying to instill too much discipline too fast, and has upset or sold the established backbone, and the new players they have brought in, with one or two exceptions have very little collective experience between them. Even the mackems themselves don’t fancy their chances this year. I for one believe we will finish above them this year, and I do not forsee a relegation battle this year for us, even with JFK doing the dof thing. If we finish in the top 10 I will be happy enough, however, I do feel with the right 3 players we can achieve much higher.

• 60 SeanNufc87 // Jul 9, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Pawl

I’m sure I read today that they had two free transfer players turn them down in the last 48. Say what you like about our “randoms” at least we can get them in the door… granted veeerrryyy slowly it would seem.

• 61 John Tudor // Jul 9, 2013 at 2:49 PM

i went cold turkey dok 3 y ago its tuff apologies for tem narraback are ye a texan alamo style

• 62 TorqToon // Jul 9, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Tuff – Final word on the matter, the person who brought John’s wife on to the blog, was John.

Yes the response was about of order, but it wasnt mindshaft who initiated.

Anyway, this is boring as hell, later all. (!!!!!!!)

• 63 DokToon // Jul 9, 2013 at 2:52 PM

john, god no, im in texas for work, orig from nyc…

• 64 John Tudor // Jul 9, 2013 at 2:53 PM

banned
    transfer speculation(unless guaranteed itk)
    damned team selections from fictitious squads
    and football manager
    all very tiresome

• 65 John Tudor // Jul 9, 2013 at 2:54 PM

red adair rigger

• 66 G // Jul 9, 2013 at 2:54 PM

How’s the knocking shop over there Dok?

• 67 jimmysmith // Jul 9, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Absolutely, the right 3 players and were capable of getting off to a flyer and staying right up amongst it. With so much money on offer this season and CASH to spend there really can’t be any excuse not too buy right Mr Ashley.

• 68 pawl250 // Jul 9, 2013 at 2:57 PM

John

The majority of my interactions, whether it be work or as stated home I am SURROUNDED by Mackems!

Literally, only Mag in my office!

Its chaos, of course its great on Derby days for banter, but I put up with alot of contradictory crap from them.

I.e buying the randoms was a bad move, but glorious for them. I also get alot of stick from our beloved Joe Kinnear appointment and interviews….. Cheers Joe!

All I can say is I am always wrong, worse off its my boss that says this lol …. Cannot argue, although occasionally have my say and tend to be right in the process haha!

Other than that, my Mag friends all generally look to me for vibes, as I state I know likes of Mbiwa etc for years before they come. So they ask my opinion, right now I am positiv, or atleast about the squad.

I hold reservations on Kinnear until given enough time to decide. I will say his interview technique needs to be improved, and thats putting it mildly, if I was MA I would have it added to his contract “Must not speak to the public/media relating to the club”……

Pardew I am awaiting judgement…. again. I though his 5th finish was marvelous, but last season knocked my judgement for open debate. I am willing to give him time due to injuries though, like my most of my friends.

All I can say is time will tell, I just feel more people should back the club and see how it goes. Being negative, jumping on the bandwagon of MA out will only disrupt future signings and the players at the club.

Hopefully Pardew can gain some trust back early on, and as stated we finish where I believe is realistic in the top 10.

• 69 DokToon // Jul 9, 2013 at 2:59 PM

knocking shop? im not familar with the term…

• 70 G // Jul 9, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Ha ha, google it, but carefully, and not at work mate!

• 71 G // Jul 9, 2013 at 3:02 PM

There is a famous movie ‘The Best Little …… in Texas’, filling in that blank is the most blatant clue I can give you from work!

• 72 John Tudor // Jul 9, 2013 at 3:03 PM

fair comment but then you must understand my stance
    ashley must realise what he has done was wrong
    he continually disregards advice
    makes poor decisions albeit in the majority of fans eyes
    so does he just do it to infuriate 52000 fans

• 73 jimmysmith // Jul 9, 2013 at 3:04 PM

I take it you’re at work now Pawl, devoting your attention entirely to the NUFC blog. More power to ya pal, particularly as your boss is a Mackem.

• 74 DokToon // Jul 9, 2013 at 3:07 PM

g..

gotcha, lol…. well said… lol

• 75 John Tudor // Jul 9, 2013 at 3:07 PM

ufo for kinnear

• 76 pawl250 // Jul 9, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Sean

They have had a couple of them yeah, but think who are our “Free” signings?!

We paid for likes of Gouffran and Sissoko, despite contracts expiring in 6 month.

Ba, Gosling and Amalfitano, Ba being the only one to pay off. Think about it, Gosling had potential and has had PL experience, so was proven to some degree. Ba again the same, West Ham stint showed he is capable and worth a punt.

Amalfitano has hardly, possibly never played in the PL and may never do so. The only free foreign player not played in the PL, similar to ALL Sunderlands free buys!

See my point? Hardly ambition I am afraid, and as stated in an office full of Mackems only 1 is optimistic the rest believe they will be relegated!!

• 77 John Tudor // Jul 9, 2013 at 3:11 PM

pawl but is sland’s homework on the free’s considerably more in depth than ours

• 78 John Tudor // Jul 9, 2013 at 3:12 PM

and it is it same on expensive signings with no pl expirence

• 79 John Tudor // Jul 9, 2013 at 3:14 PM

everything in football is a gamble but the one gamble ashleys falls down on

• 80 pawl250 // Jul 9, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Jimmy -

I am, but I have just come back from holiday so getting back in the swing, as a fast typer I can now n then pop off for a quick update or convo haha!

John -

I can totally understand the frustration from some fans perspectives, I have no idea what MA was thinking when he gave JK a position of power.

BUT remember MA would only want to increase the value of his asset, so I feel heads will role if we do not perform this year….. as you and many other state its all about money for him. Getting relegated, or not far from will not produce that.

By pushing up the table it increases revenue, popularity, advertising his Sports Direct shops AND the value of his asset (Club, Players etc).

I feel as he is greedy, most rich people are ….. he will always want more than just beyond relegation. Plus the risk of relegation financially cost him last time as he had to pay out of his pocket for wages to sustain the club.

He cannot, and I feel will not do that again. Therefore relegation or not far off certainly is not his idea of acceptable for me.

I do admit his decision making to almost alienate the fans is completely is nothing short of gifted! He seems to make the worst choices at the worst possible moments lol

• 81 John Tudor // Jul 9, 2013 at 3:17 PM

succinctly put

• 82 pawl250 // Jul 9, 2013 at 3:21 PM

John

Thats the million dollar question, but again if these free signings are so good, why are other clubs not in for them?!

You could have guaranteed people would have been on the phone for Sissoko, not just small clubs but likes of Spurs, Liverpool or even Chelsea.

Gouffran I knew about, but his pace and goal scoring ability in a top league allows him to be noticeable.

Remember Sunderlands best soon to be signing (If Norwich dont hijack it) is Altidore.

The same player to go to Hull, play 20 times and score 1 goal. I admit his AZ league record is good but that hardly proves he is an established scorer. I mean remember Alfonso Alves for Boro, he had an amazing record in the Dutch league and flopped.

Time will tell of course, but the mere fact I have never heard of there free signings is worrying. Or it would be for, I mean I had no idea who Amalfitano was, and a prime example of why was given to me!

• 83 John Tudor // Jul 9, 2013 at 3:23 PM

buy a 1/2doz eggs you dont which is off till its cracked

• 84 John Tudor // Jul 9, 2013 at 3:27 PM

i feel there is more value at the bottom where pl cast off lie in 1/2 div teams cos the didnt fit requirements too light too short cocky, introvert extrovert not deemed good enough late developers lets get some good eggs in, give them a sec chance low wages good sell on but most of all give them a good coach and manager

• 85 pawl250 // Jul 9, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Nicely put,

But the saying goes “you pay for what you get”

In most cases that is true i.e. Fairy washing up liquid, buy 1 lasts you for 6 month. Buy a cheap Asda brand for 1/2 or 1/3 the price it lasts less than a week!

Free players are normally free for a reason, a club doesnt want them or the player feels he can do better. But the ones that tend to think they can do better normally have alot of interest.

Think Ledonowski for Dortmund next year, compared to Simpson.

Simpson downgraded, why? Because he thought he was better than he was.

• 86 John Tudor // Jul 9, 2013 at 3:30 PM

aldi’s is more than decent lasts as long fairy imho

• 87 pawl250 // Jul 9, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Basically any free player worth his weight in gold will have clubs better than Sunderland after him, and willing to price Sunderland out in the process for a contract.

You get the odd exception though, i.e. Ba, but his knee was the cause of that. Had he been given a clean bill of health, no dodgy knee he would have been snapped up a long time ago.

• 88 John Tudor // Jul 9, 2013 at 3:32 PM

the guy with the shoulder problem you insure them against it if it goes the player goes krul will face the same more so as a keeper believe you me ill take a punt on the guy

• 89 John Tudor // Jul 9, 2013 at 3:35 PM

punctuation ,punctuation ,punctuation. a must in english

• 90 John Tudor // Jul 9, 2013 at 3:36 PM

jordi gommez lookin for a route to his roots @nufc

• 91 G // Jul 9, 2013 at 3:37 PM

pawl, to be fair to Altidore, he was a kid when he was at Hull. I don’t personnaly feel he will have improved that much, but you never know.

• 92 John Tudor // Jul 9, 2013 at 3:43 PM

and shearer was a kid at soton

• 93 John Tudor // Jul 9, 2013 at 3:45 PM

rooney was a boy @everton some can do it some cant some will eventually given time

• 94 Sazzer // Jul 9, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Free transfers can work out but it’s usually a reason other teams stay away. Probably the best reason is when the player don’t want to move to bigger club in this stage of his career or prefer a lower level club because he himself or a relative is supporting such a club.

• 95 G // Jul 9, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Correct John T, and at Soton his record was 118 appearances, with 23 goals, which is in no way an indicator of what was to become. Shearer is the exception, not the rule here though. I agree that even when he first came on the scene, he looked a bit special like.

• 96 Sazzer // Jul 9, 2013 at 3:47 PM

• 97 John Tudor // Jul 9, 2013 at 3:47 PM

like fishes and ponds

• 98 Jail for Ashley // Jul 9, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Pawl,
    So not only do you claim to be considerably more cleverer than us you now claim to be consideranly more richer than yous.

• 99 WWYCD // Jul 9, 2013 at 3:49 PM

So we’ve still signed no body? Hmmm

• 100 DokToon // Jul 9, 2013 at 3:50 PM

you dont think altidore could turn into soemthing special? maybe im jaded since hes a usa player, but hes on a great scoring run internationallly, and thats what nufc needs….

• 101 John Tudor // Jul 9, 2013 at 3:50 PM

having a piranha on the end of one’s nose is too good for ashley

• 102 G // Jul 9, 2013 at 3:53 PM

Dok, he’s improved significantly, he’s been given more playing time in the Dutch league, and his overall game has improved. If Sunderland / Norwich think they will be getting a 15 goals plus a season striker, then I think they are mistaken, however, I am willing to concede that I could be wrong on this. It certainly wouldn’t be the first time.

• 103 John Tudor // Jul 9, 2013 at 3:55 PM

id rather see young boy thrust amongst the stars to be coveted by barca man ure and the like sammi for england
    bet u thought i was going to say campbell well i was but ashley will just sell him

• 104 Sazzer // Jul 9, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Jozy Altidore Vs Germany

He got a lot of praise for this performance. But you look at the highlights aside from the goal and the assist is really isn’t much to be worried about. The goal I would called was the hard to do with that poor defending.

• 105 Jail for Ashley // Jul 9, 2013 at 3:59 PM

WW…,
    I’m not getting my hopes up so therefore can’t be disappointed.

• 106 John Tudor // Jul 9, 2013 at 3:59 PM

time to watch the trilogy goal now if kinnears watching go get this kid

• 107 Sazzer // Jul 9, 2013 at 3:59 PM

if you look…
    It was and easy goal because of poor defending.

• 108 WWYCD // Jul 9, 2013 at 4:01 PM

JfA
    Ah mate my hopes are very much in the gutter but I pray for surprises

• 109 lesh // Jul 9, 2013 at 4:03 PM

DokToon… Living in Texas, you going into SXSW at all?

• 110 lesh // Jul 9, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Villa’s told Benteke he’ll not be sold for less than £25m.

Guess we’ll have to be prepared to add a couple of million to our bid then!

• 111 jayphoto // Jul 9, 2013 at 4:08 PM

Seen Altidore a few times for the national side and a couple for AZ, also saw him at hull! tbf, i hate to say it but he is a decent player! Hes quick and strong and in the right side will give a good account of himself! Hes effectively Shola ameobi with an extra 5 yards of pace! At Hull they played him like a ram rod and thats not really his game, hes not that dominant in the air and to join a struggling team at a young age was an unwise move! On the ground hes strong on the ball, brings others into play well, hes just not suited to the direct style of play! He’d have been a decent partner for Cisse actually, i have doubts if hes at the level to be a first 11 player but he’ll be a useful squad player, fair play to the mackems, Di Canio is creating a hard working side of players with drive, hunger and a professional attitude! I guarentee their players wont be pissed on quayside this season! Whether their work ethic will help them adapt to the premier league and whether they’ll be actually good enough is another matter tho, my prediction for them is top 8 or bottom 3 depending if it works! Itl either be a huge success or catastrophe, cant see it being a middleground

• 112 toon kk // Jul 9, 2013 at 4:08 PM

It will take a lot of discussions and thought or should I say a hell of discussions with MA before he will even think about getting any player in. He might decide to bring a reasonabley priced striker in then again he might just gamble with the squad we have. With a few sold it will keep the wage bill down. HAPPY times in the life of Cashley.

• 113 John Tudor // Jul 9, 2013 at 4:09 PM

whats the craic with paulinho is it a wind up

• 114 Joe Blog // Jul 9, 2013 at 4:09 PM

John Tudor there, trying to out ramble Joe Kinnear…..

• 115 John Tudor // Jul 9, 2013 at 4:11 PM

not easily done you taught me well

• 116 John Tudor // Jul 9, 2013 at 4:15 PM

and you being a descendant of the lookout man on the Titanic should have have more than sense of humour

• 117 John Tudor // Jul 9, 2013 at 4:16 PM

oops too late we’ve hit it

• 118 John Tudor // Jul 9, 2013 at 4:22 PM

hmmm didn’t see that coming huh

• 119 I am a geordie // Jul 9, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Sky sports reports newcastle set for double striker swoop.
    Bent and remy .
    No mention of taylor going to qpr tho

• 120 Big Pappa Cissé // Jul 9, 2013 at 4:26 PM

Remy, Cisse, Bent, Gouffran . Decent strike force if we can pull it off. Then we have Shola and Campbell as back up.

• 121 John Tudor // Jul 9, 2013 at 4:36 PM

and as chief bottle washer on the Hindenberg this is where you had a crafty fag………
    whoosh
    did see that one neither

• 122 DokToon // Jul 9, 2013 at 4:38 PM

lesh @110,

i have before, but not this year though :(

• 123 DokToon // Jul 9, 2013 at 4:39 PM

stands in the alamo, famous last words…

“wow, look at all the mexicans out there, wonder what they want?”

• 124 John Tudor // Jul 9, 2013 at 4:43 PM

tremendous dry cleaning bill snazzy uniforms pity to cover them in blood and snot

• 125 John Tudor // Jul 9, 2013 at 4:44 PM

jim bowie descendant wow did see that coming at all

• 126 roe997 // Jul 9, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Bent 5m
    remy 5 – 8m
    zarate free
    sinclair 3m
    tomkins 6m
    Fer 7m-8m

id be happy with 4 out the 6.

• 127 John Tudor // Jul 9, 2013 at 4:57 PM

not wanting to pea on your parade but the likelihood is more like 1 in from those poss 2 remy and sinclair but my take it wll be 1 and he aint on there

• 128 roe997 // Jul 9, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Bolton in for ameobi

• 129 John Tudor // Jul 9, 2013 at 5:00 PM

two for the price of one hopefully

• 130 lesh // Jul 9, 2013 at 5:11 PM

DokToon. I’d love to go down there and I guess the nearest I’ll get is checking who’s playing each year! So much to see, so much to hear and experience

However………