The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Pardew – Newcastle Have Four Or Five Striker Targets

9:08 am, Tuesday, July 9th, 2013 by Ed Harrison · 32 Comments

Alan Pardew has talked today about the striker he coached to success at Charlton, 29 year-old Darren Bent, and admitted Newcastle United are interested in the striker.

Darren Bent on bench

Darren Bent - spent a lot of time on bench last season

The £6M price tag on Darren Bent is a stumbling block for Newcastle, because he will have no sell-on value and will also demand high wages – two things that may prevent him from arriving on Tyneside.

Pardew talked openly about Bent this morning, but also said Newcastle have four or five striker targets:

The obvious target at the moment is a striker, and we have four or five targets,” “It’s difficult. I know there’s been speculation, particularly about Darren Bent.”

“I think I can comment on that because it sounds like at Aston Villa, he’s not particularly involved.”

“There is an interest in Darren, and there is an interest in three or four other players, who I shouldn’t name because of their situations at their current clubs.

“When managers talk about my players, I think it’s wrong, so I’m certainly not going to do it.”

Alan just about stopped himself in that last sentence about doing what PSG manager Laurent Blanc has been doing – talking about players he wants this summer – although a difference is that Villa want Darren Bent out of the club.

Four or five striker targets – so we wonder who they are – apart from  Bent?

Any ideas?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Contracts · Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

32 responses so far ↓

• 1 Jamiemac // Jul 9, 2013 at 9:13 AM

Hmm I hope Bent is the last back-up choice, not a very ambitious signing.

• 2 joeinthecheapseats // Jul 9, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Come on Mike flash the cash 13 mill for both strikers isn’t that much of the TV money to spend
    Then sell Shola for 1 million to a championship team and the deal gets even better

• 3 cyprus // Jul 9, 2013 at 9:16 AM

AP, don’t forget to buy a couple fast paced tricky wingers (see spurs, bayern, even Manu) or will have 3-4 strikers waiting for the ball 30 yards away from MF… And hoof will be the only way to get them involved.

• 4 lesh // Jul 9, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Never mind having four or five targets, just get the preferred options in, before they’re snapped up and missed!

Stop the pi$$Ing about and just do it, cut the crap!

• 5 mindshaft // Jul 9, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Not keen on Bent although at the right fee and wages would be a decent stop gap
    Would prefer Remy although I guess that depends on if he actually gets charged with rape – at the moment he’s arrested on a SUSPICION of rape and awaiting further investigations

• 6 TorqToon // Jul 9, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Toondanno – I am really JFK in disguise! ;-)

I work with professional football clubs in France, Germany, Holland and some premiership clubs, as an advisor in the medical field.

Dont have any dealings with admin or anything where I might hear or see any official paperwork or talk. But purely hear snippets of information regarding possible targets, and have friends in the coaching field at several clubs.

They know my love for NUFC, and are very open with me. I do not relay any personal information And obviously, maintain player confidentiality.

I love my job, but after the PEA scenario, and the blame seemingly falling at my doorstep, I’m quite reserved on what I say now. :-)

Yourself?! You work for NUFC?!

• 7 fog on the tyne // Jul 9, 2013 at 9:20 AM

8m bid put in for luuk de jong

• 8 Rotonda heights // Jul 9, 2013 at 9:23 AM

Torq

Couldn’t you give NUFC a heads up on cutting edge medical and fitness innovations we could be doing?

Just looking at Andy Murray’s army of fitness trainers, massage therapists, physios and dietitians the money our players are paid and are supposedly worth doesn’t seem equate to what they should be doing off the pitch to get to that level of fitness and focus.

• 9 G // Jul 9, 2013 at 9:24 AM

Torq, never mind people blaming you for relaying the information on, just keep it rolling, if it doesn’t come off, it doesn’t come off. Nobody with half a brain would criticise you for that would they?… hmmm. Seriously though mate, keep the rumours flying, I need something for my morale levels to lift.

• 10 cyprus // Jul 9, 2013 at 9:25 AM

Torq,
    What’s your medical expertise? Why do you think NUFC are perennial leaders on the injury front? Is it pre-season? The weather? Or..? Why can’t our team last 90′? Have you noticed ‘best practices’ in some other teams? (i.e. are data collected on ‘most fit’ teams?)

• 11 cyprus // Jul 9, 2013 at 9:26 AM

Rotonda heights, snap. Sorry, just saw your post..

• 12 croftus5678 // Jul 9, 2013 at 9:26 AM

sinclair/bent/remy i would take and is enough to move us forward without spending huge amounts

if we do sign bent ashley knows its money wasted in his department as there will be next to nothing in sell on value so it is purely a signing for here and now over the next 2-3 seasons but maybe we need that veteran prem player atm to teach these new to the league players what its about.

• 13 jeff // Jul 9, 2013 at 9:29 AM

Pardew’s gonna chuck Cisse and Bent up front together and wonder why it doesn’t work a la Demba Ba x Cisse

• 14 Edd Case // Jul 9, 2013 at 9:31 AM

Would really love to see us nick Benteke and Bent as a squad striker.

Cisse, Benteke and Bent – all proven scorers and all different types of striker…

We need a new left winger (Ince) and a new centre back and I think we’re done.

• 15 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Jul 9, 2013 at 9:31 AM

Does anyone like me think their is a seachange/change of direction going on at the TOON – getting rid of fringe players, players who have been coasting, etc.,

• 16 Joe Blog // Jul 9, 2013 at 9:32 AM

So this morning, I read 1 interview where AP criticises Blanc for the way he spoke about Cabaye in public, then the next thing I read he’s doing exactly the same, about other club’s players!

Ah well, after his initial interview yesterday where I thought he was sensible and lucid, it didn’t take his motormouth long to get up to speed, get carried away and make it’s first contradiction of the season – 2nd day back :|

• 17 numba9 // Jul 9, 2013 at 9:33 AM

4 or 5 striker targets eh well let’s get three of them in quickly and let shola go…. And no penny pinching bids we will lose out

• 18 Jamiemac // Jul 9, 2013 at 9:36 AM

fog

really?

• 19 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Jul 9, 2013 at 9:37 AM

numba9
    rumoured Shola has had a bid for him from a Dubai club which will double his wages – at his age etc., a good move I would think

• 20 numba9 // Jul 9, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Bent doesn’t need to have a sell on value at 5 or 6 mil his goals alone will pay that off with higher finishes in the league its a no Brainer

• 21 Sawbuck // Jul 9, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Torq

We’ve got enough quacks on this blog already.
    For what it’s worth, I recommend a course of hypnosis to forget who owns and runs the club, followed by desensitization therapy to allow them to handle wreck next season will be.

• 22 croftus5678 // Jul 9, 2013 at 9:39 AM

@16 joe

he didnt buddy he refused to mention names apart from bent who villa are pushing out in public knowledge as he said he did not like it done about his players.

• 23 sirjasontoon // Jul 9, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Agree Joe Blog-Pardew talks total shit as well.

• 24 TorqToon // Jul 9, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Cyprus – I know that the medical set up at Newcastle is top notch! So much money has gone into getting some of the best equipment money can buy. The medical staff are excellent and I stand by that.

Our failings come when it gets to rehab from injury. I feel we rush our players back to fitness and don’t allow sufficient recovery time from these injuries.

Our coaching methods are antiquated and far too relaxed (going off last year!) and we need a rocket up the arse to get serious.

There is one major flaw to our training and coaching, but several little problems that snowballed out of control last season.

• 25 Jail for Ashley // Jul 9, 2013 at 9:42 AM

I wonder at what stage this summer Pards will announce that we don’t need a striker as we have enough in the building and Shola after his double knee and hip replacement is like a new signing and he can just pretend he never said it’s obvious we need a striker.

• 26 TorqToon // Jul 9, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Sawbuck – You joke, but HBA went through extensive psychological support including hypnotherapy, following his awful leg break.

There is a very distinct need for that kind of ‘alternate therapies’ and confidence building is one of them.

• 27 Joe Blog // Jul 9, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Croftus

Well in the article I read, he mentions Remy too, either way, you hold that principle or you don’t, regardless of circumstance, not flip-flop from one interview to the next.

• 28 fog on the tyne // Jul 9, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Thats what was awaiting me when i opened myail this morning anyway!!!!

• 29 pawl250 // Jul 9, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Joe -

He was respectful enough to state why he mentioned what he did in this instance Bent is not even in Villas pre season, its clear as day he will be transferred with or without Benteke signing!

I think Pardew as stated has been respectful to other players whose clubs may wish to keep the players we have targeted.

Nothing wrong with what he said, clearly you just have a biased view and are Anti-Pardew.

Look am not, and never really have been positive about Pardew, I felt his appointment was underwhelming! His finishing 5th accomplishment is amazing, atleast in PL terms! But he was restricted with injuries last season, never able to name a full starting 11 for arguably 90-95% of last season. And when I say not name, I do not mean 1-2 players like most clubs, I was talking about 6-8 players at any time, with back up for those players injured also!

Give the guy a chance, he will I feel have his final chance this season. Wait and see, whats the worst the could happen?

Poor start, sacked by Jan, Good start all is dandy!

• 30 numba9 // Jul 9, 2013 at 9:46 AM

Torq 24 I think rushing them back you hit nail on the heed because we have to as squad wise we lack quality when two or three drop out

• 31 croftus5678 // Jul 9, 2013 at 9:47 AM

@27 joe

ah i see i havent read that one yet myself and yes agree all interviews should be the same but i dont think we will ever get a true story now jk is at the club after what he did to them as the press hate us now so we will never now who’s telling the truth or not now!

• 32 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Jul 9, 2013 at 10:06 AM