The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Alan Pardew – I Won’t Run, I Won’t Hide

8:44 am, Wednesday, July 10th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 19 Comments

Alan Pardew didn’t talk much at all during the summer, but since he broke his silence on Monday, he’s talked a lot and his words have helped calm Newcastle fans down a little, and the way he describes the new structure with Joe Kinnear at the head of transfers, it could even work. :D

alan pardew - pensive mood

Alan Pardew - under severe pressure last season

This is some of what Alan said in the Sun today:

“I won’t run away, I won’t hide.” “When we finished fifth in the 2011/12 season, I didn’t have to show too many sides of my character because the team was doing well.”

“A lot of adulation came our way and the momentum was with us. Last year, I couldn’t have had any more turmoil put in front of me with injuries and the Europa League, but I think I showed the fans that I am resilient.”

“I’d like to think through all of the adversity last year, I tried to carry the club with respect. I didn’t lose my control or lose my temper with the players or the press. Those qualities will serve me better this year. Hopefully we will have a more successful season.”

Alan Pardew took some very heavy criticism last season towards the end from a number of Newcastle fans, but we thought he showed tremendous resilience and guts and showed some class under pressure.

And the time to judge a person’s character is not when everything is going well, but when things aren’t, and how they react to big pressure.

Alan’s also showed some class this week in his interviews, and we needed that after Joe Kinnear’s embarrassments, and he’s carried the party line and been respectful to his new boss too.

All we need is to get back into the top eight or do even better than that this season, and we’ll be on our way again on an upward trajectory..

And we hope we can do that for the good of Newcastle, it’s as simple as that.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Coaching · Newcastle News · Premier League

19 responses so far ↓

• 1 Jamiemac // Jul 10, 2013 at 8:50 AM

Repost

While Pardew has admitted he’d have liked to have kept Perch, he felt letting him go was the right call.

“We have a squad that is quite thick, actually,” Pardew told the Gazette. “It was right for (Perch) to move on. I don’t think he could have played a bit part for us next year.

“With our best team, I didn’t think he was going to start regularly. Therefore he moves on.

“I think there might be one or two others in that boat.”

So the rumours that Pardew wanted to keep him are seemingly untrue

• 2 Ben3arfa // Jul 10, 2013 at 8:54 AM

Dont run
    OVER THE LINE
    Pardew

• 3 lesh // Jul 10, 2013 at 8:56 AM

Pards could stand accused of talking tripe at times but nevertheless, he did show some composure under what must’ve been tremendous pressure last season.

• 4 Rotonda heights // Jul 10, 2013 at 9:02 AM

A bit of transparency needed there Alan. To be honest – your favourite phrase, you aren’t going to walk away from a 10.5M pay off. Don’t blame you either if Ash was stupid enough to give you it to go along with his lack of due diligence on buying NUFC.

• 5 jazzyp // Jul 10, 2013 at 9:03 AM

I couldn’t have had any more turmoil with the Europa league-do me a favour Percy and wind ya neck in.
    He’s coming out with the same bs already.last season the squad was to thin on the ground and now it’s to thick In places.
    Perch had to go because I couldn’t guarantee first team football-so what about Joan’s ffs

• 6 jazzyp // Jul 10, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Jonas.god damn iphone

• 7 sparky55 // Jul 10, 2013 at 9:07 AM

REPOST

LOL…Can you imaging the fall out if JFK had said “we have a squad that is quite thick really”

HAHAHAHA…love it…the thickest being saylor who never remembers when to stick or twist or can never work out when to use his head or his feet…all the courage of a lion but the brain of a flea.

him and Tomkins are about the same and worth about the same and IMO we should get shot asap because we’ll get less for him in january after he’s warmed the bench for 5 months

• 8 toonincheek // Jul 10, 2013 at 9:07 AM

Rotunda -

General reports/opinion is that APs contract has a one-year period of notice.

Do you have a different opinion? Any knowledge?

Or just trolling the same old rubbish about an 8-year contract meaning an 8-year payoff?

• 9 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 10, 2013 at 9:08 AM

Excellent. Pardew is back at his desk, JFK appears to be staying in his box and things do seem to have calmed down a little.

I love the fighting talk. I want to see us being positive and ambitious for the coming season. I don’t think we need a big overhaul, and we should have confidence in the players that are already there.

Let’s get a top striker in soon and give us all a real boost!

• 10 martoon // Jul 10, 2013 at 9:10 AM

I think some of you are a bit harsh. Granted last season was a disaster and some of the tactics left a bit to be desired. However I think Pardew does have a love for the club and deals with the press quite well. He tries to give honest answers while at the same time not giving too mch away on tranfer targets etc.

• 11 jimmysmith // Jul 10, 2013 at 9:10 AM

Pards has Ash by the pecker. I’d laugh, if Ash didn’t have ours in his pocket of course.

• 12 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 10, 2013 at 9:13 AM

toonincheek

Spot on about Rotunda’s comment!

MA has a history of performance related contracts and I bet it’s no different here. There have also been several articles saying that he’s only on £500kpa so you can’t have it both ways!

I’d stake a lot of money on it that either his contract can be terminated if he fails to meet certain conditions or his basic salary is so low that he only gets paid the going rate if he achieves certain targets. Or even both.

After we finished 5th, some fans were worried that he might get tapped up for Man Utd, Arsenal or England…now many fans want him to go!

• 13 toonincheek // Jul 10, 2013 at 9:16 AM

Not a big Saylor fan but we need enough home grown players who can step up and do a reasonable job to go with the overseas players who will be the mainstays of the team.

• 14 John Tudor // Jul 10, 2013 at 9:17 AM

i love the way last pardew said we played well but were unlucky in the interview he now states we were not on top of our game i see it as
    we played crap but got lucky

• 15 Spotlight Kid // Jul 10, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Sparky@7

….or his hands!!!

• 16 Rotonda heights // Jul 10, 2013 at 9:25 AM

toonincheek

I’ll leave any trolling to you darling.

Try and keep up. There was a lot of speculation but it was disclosed there are no clauses in the contract which Llambias was at pains to reassure the press about with his ”on the record” comments. Llambias was also quoted as saying this applied to all the staff who had received 8 year contracts.

Last season was one of the worst in our history so don’t you think Ash would have been tempted to get rid if it was just a one year pay-off.

Anyway I’m aware I am becoming as boring with my anti Pardew comments as you are with your pro – ones and only yesterday I remarked how pleased I was that Pardew was looking to swap Saylor with Remy. So I’m not as totally one -eyed as you.

• 17 Robby Bobson // Jul 10, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Dont usually find too much wrong in what pards says and his words always look alot worse written down, but did he jus call the europa league ‘turmoil’?!

Its part of managing at a successful club!!

• 18 woolerbill // Jul 10, 2013 at 10:15 AM

Nice man

Pardew is this and that, none of this matters. He is a poor manager and that’s all we want, A GOOD MANAGER.

• 19 Premiership Manager // Jul 11, 2013 at 7:09 AM

Unfortunately there won’t be anywhere to run or hide for Pardue, Kinnear or Ashley.

We have a very good fixture list with good spacing between the harder games therefore all the board and management team need to do is learn from the mistake made in previous years and make sure that we have a squad that has sufficient experience and ability to perform for the length of the season.

If the squad is the right size, has the correct qualities and the management and coaching team do their jobs properly there will be no issues.

Simple!

Well it would be if it wasn’t NUFC and the board applied common sense and ran it like a proper business instead of the good ideas club with jobs for the boys.

If we are struggling come October there can be no excuses as we will be fighting for survival.

previous post: Magpie Central Defender Staying At Newcastle

next post: New French Contingent To Propel Newcastle Forward?