The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

New French Contingent To Propel Newcastle Forward?

9:14 am, Wednesday, July 10th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 29 Comments

The French contingent we signed last January should be a lot better next term , once they get a good pre-season behind them, and the pressure they were under last season, as we fought against relegation will only stand them in good stead.

moussa sissoko june 4th

A smiling Moussa Sissoko last week

Here’s what Alan Pardew had to say in the Journal today:

“It is very natural in the heat of game or in the heat of training to stick to your natural tongue but we’re trying to knock that out of them,”

“The Frenchmen can be understood, they can talk to you guys in the media, but on the pitch we’re trying to encourage a little bit more understanding so we all know what’s going on. That’s an issue we can all improve on.”

“I think it was a little bit unfair for us to be judged on last season in terms of the environment they came into.” “We didn’t have our best players available at times and we didn’t have momentum with us and they were trying to find their feet in a division that was completely different.

“Between Ligue 1 and the Premier League there’s a big difference. We’re very happy with the new signings and I think they’re going to show this year what good players they are.”

“I don’t think it is a bad thing sometimes to have a season where things don’t go well. You learn a lot,” “You learn more about the environment you are in. Now we are starting afresh and it is a different environment already.”

We felt just a bit for our new French arrivals when we were struggling in the league this year, and they will all have found out that playing for Newcastle United is not like playing for any other club.

There is significant pressure on players when things are not going well, which is why a lot of good players just didn’t make it at the club, they couldn’t handle that pressure from fans, who live and breathe football – as Arsenal supremo Arsene Wenger has pointed out a fewtimes.

But that experience will do the five new Frenchman a world of good, and we are expecting some of them to become big stars this season on Tyneside, and that’s what we’ll need if we are to challenge for a top six position, which has to be the goal.

That’s true whatever the official targets are for next season, because we did it two years ago and we probably have a better squad now.

Here’s hoping.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Coaching · Newcastle News · Premier League

29 responses so far ↓

• 1 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 10, 2013 at 9:20 AM

Blah. Saylor isn’t going. The only reason he’ll leave is if we sign 2 better centre backs than him and both he and Willo are shipped out. He’s not the best player in the world but he is good enough for our 3rd choice. Colo and MYM could end up being a fantastic partnership though.

• 2 prashanth // Jul 10, 2013 at 9:22 AM

First! always wanted to do that.
    here’s hoping happy days are around the corner… HWTL

• 3 prashanth // Jul 10, 2013 at 9:24 AM

bah not first :(

Saylor causes havoc unless he plays alongside Colo.
    MYM is better as his last game proved. Walcott in his pocket all day.
    Sign someone soon FFS…

• 4 Jamseyd24 // Jul 10, 2013 at 9:24 AM

I agree with this but still think we are short 4 quality first team players. Ed or those bloggers in the know like Torq question for you. Do you think we will have to wait for JK to return before we sign anyone????

• 5 jeff // Jul 10, 2013 at 9:25 AM

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL PARDEW

‘showed my composure’ etc. yep pushing fourth officials and jumping into the crowd and celebrating towards the sunderland bench when we scored. disgusts me.

• 6 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 10, 2013 at 9:26 AM

I’ve always wanted to visit the Grand Canyon, play football at St James’ Park, witness England winning the football World Cup and have a threesome with Halle Berry and Elle MacPherson…

I think posting first on a blog comes so far down my list, I don’t even think it was there…

• 7 Rotonda heights // Jul 10, 2013 at 9:26 AM

toonincheek

I’ll leave any trolling to you darling.

Try and keep up. There was a lot of speculation but it was disclosed there are no clauses in the contract which Llambias was at pains to reassure the press about with his ”on the record” comments. Llambias was also quoted as saying this applied to all the staff who had received 8 year contracts.

Last season was one of the worst in our history so don’t you think Ash would have been tempted to get rid if it was just a one year pay-off.

Anyway I’m aware I am becoming as boring with my anti Pardew comments as you are with your pro – ones and only yesterday I remarked how pleased I was that Pardew was looking to swap Saylor with Remy. So I’m not as totally one -eyed as you.

• 8 TorqToon // Jul 10, 2013 at 9:28 AM

You mean all these Frenchmen that some on here have written off as “flops”?!??

Full pre season, and we will be strong. We don’t need massive overhaul, but merely 2-4 New faces.

The figures being talked about over here for Cabaye is certainly in the “can not be turned down” bracket.

If he goes, he will be replaced. Rest assured.

• 9 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 10, 2013 at 9:29 AM

Jamseyd24

Don’t pay any attention to the ITKs…

The wheels are in motion, we really need to have a couple of players signed by the end of the month and I think we will.

• 10 yo-yo // Jul 10, 2013 at 9:29 AM

nutmeg

Aye – we need intelligent creative players with an eye for goal.
    I’m reconciled to Bent, reasonably okay about Remy but still got fingers x for Siem.

Rotonda

Please start analysing players again as we all know exactly how you feel about AP and I’d like to carry on agreeing with you about something….

We’re still weak defensively with two slow easily turned CHs and a goals against record that is a disgrace – so we do still need to strengthen with a young upandcoming Colo replacement

The biggest disappointment for me so far is that
    we’re still waiting for that new modern coach we were promised

• 11 Tommyy // Jul 10, 2013 at 9:30 AM

‘We couldn’t have had anymore turmoil with injuries and the Europa League’ …. Just like that I despise the man again, he’s a class A excuse merchant, anyone would think that the Europa League was some sort of shadowy nighttime beast who plucked the players from their homes and savagely destroyed their energy and ability.

No Alan, every year teams deal with it and don’t complain. Get a grip ad admit how useless your coaching and tactics are and then sort them out!

• 12 TorqToon // Jul 10, 2013 at 9:32 AM

TDS – nice to see you too, sir! :-)

• 13 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 10, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Rotonda

Where was it disclosed that there are no clauses in Pardew’s contract? I won’t believe it until I see a quote from a director at the club.

And even if it were true, isn’t he supposed to be on (just) £500kpa? So that would make a £3.5M pay-off for the 7 years…

• 14 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 10, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Oh there you are Torq… :-)

There are so many ITKs, I wonder how many actually have a connection with the club, how many just use common sense and how many just troll garbage to get some attention….

Nothing personal…maybe we should have a ITK badge next to people’s name when they prove themselves to actually be knowledgeable about what’s going on!

• 15 Slank // Jul 10, 2013 at 9:37 AM

I think we will see a different and far superior team this season than before as the French players who arrived in the Winter transfer window have now had time to adapt and get used to the Premiership, used to their new team mates, settle into a new country and pick up some English.

All we need now is one or two quality players to support Cisse and for none of the purples to leave.

• 16 Joe Blog // Jul 10, 2013 at 9:37 AM

“….knock it out of them….”. I think corporal punishment is banned these days, Pards.

• 17 hadthetshirt // Jul 10, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Shame we didn’t get Blanc in and ship pardew out.
    @2 schools broke up already pmsl

• 18 Jail for Ashley // Jul 10, 2013 at 9:42 AM

TDsarf,
    How much do you think we can spend on a striker or two without doing a Leeds or do you insist on selling Cabaye first and having a healthy minus net spend this summer.

• 19 Jamseyd24 // Jul 10, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Torq, I still like to here what you have to say. I am from Belfast and work abroad so I really am not in the Know. I like you mature approach and the fact you dont complain about every little thing. So I for one will value you opinion

• 20 TorqToon // Jul 10, 2013 at 9:46 AM

TDS – No bother mate.

I never professed to be ITK. I didn’t even know what it was until somebody labelled me with it. I also have stated I don’t have any links with NUFC other than a few months working witg the medical team there. And I haven’t ever said that we WILL, or HAVE signed a player with 100% certainty.

I was simply in the right place at the right time in the winter when I said we were in for our French targets. Had I been working in Germany or Belgium, I may not have heard about them. And my time on this blog would be much simpler with less grief chucked my way (not ny you!).

I’m keeping a lot more under wraps now. To be honest, I’m not here for acclaim or ego, but to discuss this club. And if things go the way I believe they will, I will be simply happy that my friends and colleagues have been truthful and honest with me.

• 21 TorqToon // Jul 10, 2013 at 9:47 AM

Jamsey – Thank you my friend.

Much appreciated.

• 22 nut meg // Jul 10, 2013 at 10:15 AM

Torq, I am also abroad & fully agree with what Jamseyd24 said.I read most of the posts but sometimes I feel like I’m losing the will to live. I look forward to hearing what you have to say,same goes for some of the other guys that have been labled as ITK even though you’s have explained umteen times you’s are only passing on snips of infomation that your’ve heard.Keep it coming.

• 23 cestriasteve // Jul 10, 2013 at 10:15 AM

Torq always value your posts if Cabeye does go who would u suggest we buy to harness the potential of Sissoko I thought in the 2011 season when formula of tiote won the ball cabs distributed it was a winner, sadly missing last season

• 24 Geordiedoonsooth // Jul 10, 2013 at 10:28 AM

I’m convinced most of the people who post on here aren’t real Geordies & don’t have a clue what they are talking about. Some of you lot really do make me mad.

• 25 toonincheek // Jul 10, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Seems like too many have forgotten we have the best squad in years and years, albeit a bit thin at the front, as has been accepted by the club, making strikers the No. 1 priority.

(that doesnt mean we turn down good youngsters and a goalie with real potential should they happen to be available first)

• 26 ballerfan2 // Jul 10, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Geordiedoonsooth @ 24 – alternatively I suspect too many posters here are,too close, too wrapped up in the club to be able to take a detached view of the goings on at the club. I can understand their frustrations. Maybe it is easier to see the bigger picture from a distance, hence the greater balance shown by yourself, Torq Toon etc. I am an exiled Geordie myself with too many years (50+) of seeing the circus goings on at the club to get too worked up over the current regime (, although I still get frustrated by it all,) .

• 27 ronjohno // Jul 10, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Torq
    Just keep going for it.
    Always makes for interest and nobody with any nous is ever going to try and hold you accountable for any rumours you hear. It would be absurd to do so.

Different tack:
    Twice this week Pardew has come out with statements about Dutch League (Anita) and French League (Sissoko, etc) stating that these leagues are miles apart from Premier and players need to adjust and will be better this season. So if that is his thinking why is he taking players from these leagues apart from bargain end of contract players.We do not seem to be able to compete when there is big fee involved and how is it that other foreign players seem to adapt at other Premier clubs.
    This is only a question.
    My own thoughts are that the players in top teams in those leagues will be just as good as Premier.
    To me just seems something else to put in his “Excuses” list

• 28 widowmagandapoke // Jul 10, 2013 at 1:46 PM

What this is saying is. Don’t expect more than two players in – we are just going to ask our current squad to play better.

• 29 Geordiedoonsooth // Jul 10, 2013 at 1:57 PM

ballerfan2 I agree mate I’ve support the toon since I was taken there as a small boy in 1995. I was born & brought up in Walker moved doon sooth 31 years ago. As you say seen it all McGeag, Westwood, Hall the lot would like to see the Toon win something before I pop off as they say.

previous post: Alan Pardew – I Won’t Run, I Won’t Hide