The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Reported After Top Reading Star

11:08 pm, Wednesday, July 10th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 73 Comments

We had noticed Newcastle have already lost three Englishmen in Steve Harper, Danny Simpson and James Perch this summer, and Dan Gosling could be the fourth one to leave.

alex mccarthy

Alex McCarthy – top Reading goalkeeper

So it’s not surprising that the Mirror is reporting that Alan Pardew would like to recruit some Englishmen this summer, after all, we are an English club.

We’ve already been linked with Scott Sinclair of Manchester City, and now we are being linked with Alex McCarthy, the Reading goalkeeper, who is coming off an excellent season.

The Mirror were reporting last night we’d agreed a deal to sign PSV 22 year-old 6’3″ goalkeeper Jeroen Zoet, but Newcastle’s offer of close to £2M presumably has been turned down.

WE don’t know if this report in the Mirror is true, and certainly Reading will not want to lose McCarthy, but from what we saw of this goalkeeper last season, he would definitely mount a challenge to Tim Krul, for the starting position at Newcastle.

If this report is true and if we can pay enough money to convince Reading to sell – then we could get him – but it has to be rather doubtful.

The 6’4″ 23 year-old was born in Guildford, and he’s been at Reading since 2006, and has been out on loan to Woking, Cambridge United, Bath, Aldershot, Yeovil, Brentford Leeds United and Ipswich Town.

Alex has only played 30 times for Reading, and only 14 times last season, and he’s played a total of 104 senior games.

Alex gave a magnificent performance against Liverpool last season, one of the best displays of goalkeeping we’ve seen for a long time, and he was called up after that for the full England squad.

He played three times for the England U21 side.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Newcastle News · Tim Krul · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

73 responses so far ↓

• 1 jeff // Jul 10, 2013 at 11:10 PM

ludicrous thread.he wont want to play second fiddler to krul

also repost you lot think you have it all sussed out.i truly laugh at you.pathetic sheep.norwich and swansea have half the wage bill we do.and finished higher so actually earned more revenue outside of ticket sales.if you notice we actually charge reasonable ticket prices and could probably gain alot more if we increased like arsenal.the key issue is that SWANSEA AND NORWICH ARE DEBT FREE.we are not.they can afford to spend as they have NO DEBT.

also my friend itk said that forest are interested in shola and that a young man with brown flowing locks was sighted at benton..

• 2 Mattoon // Jul 10, 2013 at 11:11 PM

Wouldn’t mind the fella, had a good season in the PL.

• 3 Toon_Tom // Jul 10, 2013 at 11:15 PM

There’s no way he would want to come here, knowing Krul is our No1 for the foreseeable future as long as he’s here!

• 4 Toon_Tom // Jul 10, 2013 at 11:15 PM

Unless he can play up’front ;)

• 5 Ben3arfa // Jul 10, 2013 at 11:16 PM

Oh FFS

PATHETIC!

• 6 croftus5678 // Jul 10, 2013 at 11:36 PM

its the other part to this story about jk wanting sinclair i’m most interested in tbh and mccarthy/elliot i dont see much difference tbh but he’s english so i’m up for it just to give me something to watch england games for if he gets picked.

• 7 Ketsbaia9 // Jul 10, 2013 at 11:42 PM

Still waiting for us to make a bid for Sammy Moore. Ambrose isn’t 30 yet. Pardew knows him from his Charlton days. Sign him up.

• 8 Toon-Prodigy // Jul 10, 2013 at 11:42 PM

I could not careless about a goal keeper at present if im honest.

This club brings all this patter from the redtops on itself 90% of the time through poor planning and inadequate decisions at boardroom level.

Season after season we do not learn and seemingly don’t want to either.

If there were professionals running this club we would of wrapped up our business by now and letting the squad and new players jel before are first pre-season game next week.

Year after year we see poor planning and a lack of organisation on the football side of things.

I do think we will get round to signing players, but when we don’t acheive anything, I hope the fans aim their hatred upstairs rather than at the manager solely like last season.

It’s amateurish, and it’s year after year.

• 9 manxpie // Jul 10, 2013 at 11:45 PM

pardew certainly has been reflecting on last season

He said: “It’s about what we do and I think last year we didn’t do enough.

“We was always focusing on them rather than them focusing on us.

“We’ve got make sure we impose ourself, our game on to the opposition more than we did last year.

“Get a grip early and not release it.

“There were games last year we had a good grip.

“I think off the top of my head at Stoke we had a good grip of the game at a crucial point of the season and let it slip.

“And that was our problem last year, we got into good positions particularly on the road and let it slip, we can’t let that happen this year.”

• 10 manxpie // Jul 10, 2013 at 11:47 PM

prodigy i bet john tudor is happy with all this keeper interest tho :)

• 11 Jackel001 // Jul 10, 2013 at 11:50 PM

If we don’t sign AT LEAST 3 quality players in this window then our season will be hard to bare!

• 12 Toon-Prodigy // Jul 10, 2013 at 11:50 PM

Manx,

Why’s that?

• 13 manxpie // Jul 10, 2013 at 11:56 PM

well i think it was him of memory (but don’t hold me too it) that was stating quite a few times how precarious our keeper situation was i.e if krul has a relapse on his shoulder and then elliot was injured we be f@cked
    and tbh i can see wat he means certainly after the luck we seem to get with injuries lol

• 14 Toon-Prodigy // Jul 11, 2013 at 12:06 AM

Manx,

Oh ok

I’v got no worries about the keeper situation, I mean how often did Harper actually get on the pitch last season. I don’t think Elliot is amazing or anything and I think we could certaintly do better on that front as back-up.

I fail to see it as a priority right now though. This could be done on deadline day for all I care.

The more I see this window going on without bids for strikers, the more im thinking we are waiting for money coming in for Cabaye before we get our strikers in. Shambolic.

It would make sense. Pardew put him in the shop window yesterday telling Blanc to put up or shut up. Pardew has a nack of doing this with our highly sort of after players every window.

It’s speculation on my behalf but it would explain a hell of alot of the on-goings at the club right now. The lack of bids and ambition. The lack of planning.

Wait and see what we have before we shell out. If we are getting a decent sum for one of our top players.

I don’t like it, it’s not ideal comsidering we know we have momey right now but it would apply atleast a bit of logic to the current situation.

We will see I suppose. Problem with this is top targets are being bought already and aslomg as the window is open the less quality is coming into the club.

• 15 terencelim // Jul 11, 2013 at 12:15 AM

@jeff mind you, the existing club debt is worse than the point Ashley came in. The club is the only premier league club that doesn’t have a net spending since 2006. And we’re 20th richest club in the world.

It makes you wonder where all the money goes to…

• 16 manxpie // Jul 11, 2013 at 12:16 AM

well tbf he said an offer for him would “have to blow the doors off” which for me is wiping out any or at least many interested parties
    i’m the same with the cb situation i think our defence is sorted apart from an up n coming rb we need a striker in 1st then sort the rest out at least to put us fans at ease lol

• 17 pawl250 // Jul 11, 2013 at 12:25 AM

My god calm down.

This is not even confirmed.

Zoet is a good keeper, hopefully we go back with an extra 800k.

Remy and De Jong will make happy, very happy and we have a long way to go! Not even been 2 weeks yet! Calm down!

• 18 Toon-Prodigy // Jul 11, 2013 at 12:27 AM

Manx,

Im under the impression we need 2 strikers and a winger at current. Without anymore goings out.

If anyone else leaves it’s up for debate. Williamson and Shola will not get a game here next season, nor will Gosling. Obertan maybe, but he hasn’t set the place alight has he. He needs upgraded.

Anita will fill in at right back if an injury occurs to Debuchy.

Im all for shipping the dead wood out but the way this window has unfolded so far it dosn’t inspire a great deal of confidence to be honest.

My thinking is we are awaiting and expecting a bid for Cabaye that will be accepted. Then we will kick start our spending.

I really hope this is the case now, even though I don’t like it.

The whole lot looks a shambles right now if this is not the case.

• 19 Toon_Tom // Jul 11, 2013 at 12:40 AM

The keeper position is the least of our worries. On his day Krul is one of the best in the league. Our midfield is strong and defence can be solid – therefore it doesn’t take a genius to know that we require wide men and CFs!!! With an additional CB

• 20 musomag // Jul 11, 2013 at 12:55 AM

Can’t really see this happening unless bids are expected for Krul.

@ 14 – yeah I had the feeling MA was expecting a big money exit to have happened by now to fund some of our supposed targets but all we can do is wait and see I guess. Hopefully we’ll keep all or most of our better players and make a few quality signings at some point in the near future…. On the plus side DiCanio should have snapped up most of the sub-standard ones by then

• 21 Toon-Prodigy // Jul 11, 2013 at 12:57 AM

Tom,

I agree about the winger and CF’s.

Why the CB though?

At the moment we have Colo, Taylor, M’biwa, Williamson.

It can’t be a priority surely?

• 22 Yohan Kebab // Jul 11, 2013 at 1:41 AM

for anyone thinking we may be in for sinclair, from what ive seen we are in for the ox on loan

• 23 SeanNufc87 // Jul 11, 2013 at 1:43 AM

Prodigy

Calm down mate, and your cabaye theory must be off because we bid 15mil for PEA, ettienne confirmed that much.

I understand your frustration, I too think we should have at least a striker here by now, but theres no sense getting yersel in a tizzy and screaming from a soapbox.

• 24 SeanNufc87 // Jul 11, 2013 at 1:45 AM

Kebab

You mentioned that before, where you hearing this from as iv heard nowt

• 25 Yohan Kebab // Jul 11, 2013 at 1:50 AM

sean

as far as i could recall ive never mentioned it!

and ive just checked back the source and its indykaila so completely disregard it as utter tosh

• 26 RossNUFC // Jul 11, 2013 at 1:52 AM

Alex McCarthy would be a top buy. He has phenomenal talent.

• 27 RossNUFC // Jul 11, 2013 at 1:53 AM

… though I don’t think being 2nd Choice to Krul would appeal to him.

• 28 Toon-Prodigy // Jul 11, 2013 at 2:07 AM

Sean,

With respect,

Can you show me this bid for PEA.

I follow closely, I’v seen nothing concrete of this. Even if it does exist I’d struggle to believe. No one has picked up on it?

Im not in a soapbox, believe me, but this club has apparantly had a plan since January at least. Which is is non-existent right now. Or at least it seems?

There is no calming down, there is what is going on and where? Make up your own mind with that. At the minute it seems it’s zero.

With the mental goings on and the lovley interviews it’s to be totally expected.

Isn’t Joe Kinnear on holiday aswell?

Great.

• 29 RonVanDam // Jul 11, 2013 at 2:15 AM

If we cant buy players, then why dont we get players who want to prove themselves on loan on a lower wage with the option to buy so cases like Oberton doesn’t happen again.

• 30 Klatoon // Jul 11, 2013 at 2:25 AM

We are obviously selling Krul to Norwich

• 31 Uncertain Toon // Jul 11, 2013 at 2:46 AM

So Charlie Austin failed medical with Hull cos of a dodgy knee. Sound familiar anyone?
    He was goin to cost Hull £4.5 million. I say sneaky £2 million bid, fcuk the knee, we like the gamble!

• 32 toonicle // Jul 11, 2013 at 2:58 AM

Uncertain- I’ve been hoping we give Austin a shout since January, and obviously considering Ba we aren’t shy about gambling on a dodgy knee!

• 33 Uncertain Toon // Jul 11, 2013 at 3:05 AM

toonicle,

He’d be an upgrade on Shola even with one leg!

• 34 p // Jul 11, 2013 at 3:14 AM

Almost anyone is an upgrade on shola

• 35 Klatoon // Jul 11, 2013 at 3:18 AM

Selling Shola and not replacing him would be an upgrade

• 36 gonufc (not Arf' bad) // Jul 11, 2013 at 3:21 AM

Is anyone else getting a bit worried about all these goalkeepers being linked to us? As in- are they trying to cash in on Tim Krul?? I really hope not.

• 37 p // Jul 11, 2013 at 3:24 AM

Not worried, our keepers get so much action in games they become world class quickly

• 38 Toon-Prodigy // Jul 11, 2013 at 3:33 AM

P,

Quality

• 39 gonufc (not Arf' bad) // Jul 11, 2013 at 3:35 AM

@p – or mentally destroyed quickly.

I’m looking forward to Mbiwa this season. In the last few games of the season he looked really talented. I mean, he’s a CB but when he played a LB he looked like he’s much better at beating his man and whipping in a cross than Jonas! (Though, that could either be very good from Mbiwa or very bad for Jonas….)

• 40 p // Jul 11, 2013 at 3:48 AM

Aye, i think we will see the january guys do better, hopefully speaking better english (or geordie) at least, settled into the club and having played with team mates for longer.

I am still far from convinced by pard’s coaching prowess. He is likely in last chance saloon – we will soon who was right, those who say give him a bit more time and those who say put him on a train back to london

We still need alternative ways of winning games – we need more than kebabs free kicks, the odd ben arfa bit of brilliance and some esquisite cisse finishing.

I think we need a bit of power up front to present a different option + corners as well as a fast winger who can get the ball into cisse behind the defence

• 41 p // Jul 11, 2013 at 3:49 AM

Oh, Iwould also like world peace

• 42 lesh // Jul 11, 2013 at 5:27 AM

p @ 40

You want world peace? Joe’s on the case already!

• 43 p // Jul 11, 2013 at 5:36 AM

And this flight to be over already

• 44 headtheball // Jul 11, 2013 at 6:22 AM

lesh
    Are you an insomniac or a non UK resident? You are often online when I’m having an afternoon break. And more one liners please.
    HWTL

• 45 p // Jul 11, 2013 at 6:26 AM

Yes he pops up at all maner of times

• 46 p // Jul 11, 2013 at 6:30 AM

Manner i mean, long day

• 47 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jul 11, 2013 at 6:37 AM

Morning lads!

As always there are no real NUFC related news! The rumors here are very persistant that Joke have forgotten the pin code for the transfer kitty ;-)

…so no transfers until he remembers it!

• 48 SeanNufc87 // Jul 11, 2013 at 6:39 AM

Prodigy

The chairman of st etienne released a statement saying we, anzhi and another club I cant remember bid higher than dortmund but they promised the player that he could choose his club at the end of the season. So id say thats proof enough we are trying.

Hope it didnt seem like I was singling you out as it was a general comment to everyone kicking off that we have yet to buy anyone. Im not foolish enough to say dont be worried, I learnt from the last time I was telling everybody they were fools to think we wouldn’t strengthen. I am quietly worried myself but I think its a little bit early to be at panic stations, its been a week and 3 days, if nothing by next Friday then id happily hoy a wobbler.

• 49 SeanNufc87 // Jul 11, 2013 at 6:42 AM

Morning jesper

Fancy something to happen tomorrow or Saturday personally but that could be wishful thinking.

• 50 cyprus // Jul 11, 2013 at 6:44 AM

World Peace will only be bought if he is cheap and English and has a high resale value.

• 51 Jail for Ashley // Jul 11, 2013 at 6:45 AM

Toon prodigy,
    I keep missing you, yes my post the other day was heavily sarcastic and with a little dark humour as it is imlossible to end up in the old third division, it was more of a swipe at the likes of TDsarf and Pawl who claim any type of spend will see us do a Leeds even though the panic buys in January showed there was money to spend and far from doing a Leeds or Pompey that extra money spent actually saved us from relegation, just.
    Pawl,
    You’re telling people to calm down while sitting in your high castle looking down on them like there is some well thought out plan in place and I bet you were on ofthose last summer spouting we ddidn’t need to buy as a team that finished fifth was good enough to finish tenth.

• 52 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jul 11, 2013 at 6:47 AM

Sean…I am not sure that was a direct quote! I don’t read everthing so I might be wrong, but I still haven’t seen any confirmation on a bid from us for PEA?

And don’t you think it is odd that St. Etienne would reject higher bids but accept BVB’s bid if it is lower?

Usually when a club accept a bid then it is up to the player and the agent to agree terms with the buying club.

St. Etienne would be still to turn down a higher bid from anyone. For me there is something that don’t add up here?

• 53 spitfire_ // Jul 11, 2013 at 6:52 AM

Well… obviously we buy the half of the footballers on the planet… every day a dozen “links”… never mind that we still waiting the first transfer. Good job!

• 54 jimmysmith // Jul 11, 2013 at 7:10 AM

I think St Etienne were honoring a “gentlemans agreement” they had with PEA that he be allowed to go to his club of choice, not necessarily the highest bidder.

I also think this is only one example among perhaps many of Newcastle wanting to buy the right quality but struggling to convince the player it`s the right move for them. We might not be getting the bodies in despite our best efforts. A legacy of that duff season?

• 55 Toon_Tom // Jul 11, 2013 at 7:16 AM

prodigy @20 – mainly because Saylor is pretty much guaranteed to be sidelined st some point, Perch is gone, and Williamson is $hite!

• 56 lesh // Jul 11, 2013 at 7:19 AM

Headtheball…

Insomniac no but UK based and sometimes about at odd hours. Normally up at the crack of noon though!

• 57 jazzyp // Jul 11, 2013 at 7:27 AM

Goooooooooodddddddddddd mmmmmooooooorrrrrrnning Vietnam-morning men how the devil are we.for some reason I couldnt access the blog last night off my iPhone,have I missed any juicy gossip-is bale in this wkend lol.
    I know patience is a virtue but I feel that nufc really need to start the ball rolling on our transfer targets

• 58 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Jul 11, 2013 at 7:31 AM

Don’t need a f’in keeper need a goalscorer

• 59 jazzyp // Jul 11, 2013 at 7:36 AM

Lesh.
    Ya need to get into a regular sleep pattern mate and get off that babestation !!!
    I’ve told ya before its no good for the mind

• 60 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jul 11, 2013 at 7:36 AM

Jimmy…that one I don’t buy. Then there was no reason for any club to outbid BVB.

PEA couldn’t talk to any club brfore a bid was accepted so he wouldn’t know what was in store for him. And if the rumors are right then St. Etienne rejected our bid.

I don’t buy that one bit mate ;)

• 61 Rotonda heights // Jul 11, 2013 at 7:50 AM

Do they have to be English or just ”home grown” a a la Krul etc?

• 62 thai-mag // Jul 11, 2013 at 8:01 AM

it looks to me like we are looking for a replacement for Krul, if its only for cover after Harper left, they would have offered Harper an extension for another year are two. Hull are supposed to be in for him and e still wants to play on

• 63 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 11, 2013 at 8:03 AM

Rotonda,
    They can be from anywhere, as long as they have been registered to a English club for 3 years between 17 and 21. Guidetti, Krul, Vukic, Fabregas, Clichy, Fabio and Rafael, Macheda, all examples of ‘home grown’ talent

• 64 jimmysmith // Jul 11, 2013 at 8:04 AM

Jesper, couldn’t have St Etienne accepted more than one bid, allowing him to talk to Dortmund and go there or elsewhere if he so wished and as it is suggested they had agreed he could. I don’t see why that would be so outlandish if they respect the player and the service he has given them.

Not the sort of thing we’d do of course. Far too civilized.

• 65 Ben3arfa // Jul 11, 2013 at 8:21 AM

Get French Football ?@GFN_France 30s

Compétition: The Algerian media outlet understands that Saint Etienne have a serious interest in Ryad Boudebouz, but #Sochaux want €5m.

thats about 4.3m pounds, how do we not have any interest in this fella???

• 66 OhSholaAmeobi // Jul 11, 2013 at 8:25 AM

saw this article on newsnow, thought it was worth a read http://www.eplindex.com/35034/central-midfield-combination-newcastle-united.html?

• 67 Laurent Robert 32 // Jul 11, 2013 at 8:30 AM

Need to be getting Boudebouz in for that price.

• 68 toonbrother // Jul 11, 2013 at 8:36 AM

joining NUFC at this stage would amount to self-immolation. The club has an incompetent manager in charge, a useless captain, a deranged technical director, an impulsive chairman and vindictive fans who won’t hesitate to victimize and hound players (see williamson, tiote and obertan) they dont like.
    If Cabaye is smart he’ll accept a pay cut and get the hell out before the club ruins his career. ditto ben arfa

• 69 jeff // Jul 11, 2013 at 8:46 AM

JONAS

did not CREATE

A SINGLE

CLEAR CUT OPPRTUNITY

last season

• 70 jeff // Jul 11, 2013 at 8:46 AM

jonas did not create a SINGLE CLEAR CUT OPPORTUNITY ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL SEASON

• 71 Ben3arfa // Jul 11, 2013 at 8:48 AM

Man were we shit last season , mediocrity beckons yet again

• 72 Laurent Robert 32 // Jul 11, 2013 at 8:55 AM

It’s ridiculous that we haven’t got purples yet. They need to have a full pre-season with the rest of the players, from that start.

I want the least ways in which Pardew can find an excuse this season, which he’ll end up resurfacing throughout the the year.

Unbelievable how some are still hypnotised by his constant verbal illusions. I’ve heard the massively cringeworthy words “fighting talk” mentioned after Pardew’s recent interviews by some on here and elsewhere.

As shown through his time here, he tells the press and fans one thing, then goes and does something else completely different on game day. Proof is on the pitch following his nonsense pre-match interviews.

Just have to be aware enough to see what is right in front of you.

• 73 Laurent Robert 32 // Jul 11, 2013 at 8:56 AM