The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

This Player Now A Massive Influence On Tyneside

9:44 am, Wednesday, July 10th, 2013 by Ed Harrison · 35 Comments

It’s been reported this summer than one of the reasons Fabricio Coloccini decided to stay at Newcastle, was his strong relationship with manager Alan Pardew.

fabricio coloccini training

Fab Coloccini – hugely influential player for Magpies

And in an interview today in the Evening Chronicle, Pardew says the two of them have talked a lot over this summer about last season, and the Argentine is keen to get Newcastle back on track.

This is what Alan Pardew had to say:

“ Colo made it very clear in the summer that he is coming back to play this season.” “He really has the bit between his teeth.” “He wants to play in the World Cup in Brazil not to mention Newcastle United’s season.”

“Me and him have had a lot of discussions about last year and they were very constructive I have to say.” “He wants to come back, and he wants to lead us. He showed at the back end of last year how important he is to us.”

“When he played we looked a different team.” “I was a little bit disappointed with some of the Press about that.” “It was a personal situation. It is difficult for that to play out in the press as it did.”

“It was uncomfortable for him and for me. I still won’t talk about it because it is not fair on Colo.” “I have spoken to him two or three times.” “He’s due back a little bit later as I gave him a couple of extra days off.”

“He will be back on July 18.” “He finished so late with Argentina this summer.”

The way Alan has talked about Colo shows you he is a top man-manager, and we’ve always thought that was the major characteristic a top manager has to have.

And it’s not all about tactics, and that part of the game has been so over-played recently.

Bobby Robson, Kevin Keegan and Brian Cough were two of the great motivators, and they were hugely successful as managers, and Clough used to always say the tactics was a hugely over-stressed part of the game:

“There’s so much crap talked about tactics by people who barely know how to win at dominoes.”

Coloccini showed in those last three games of the season, after returning from injury, when we got four points and conceded only two goals and one was a penalty, that he is a hugely influential player for Newcastle, and the Newcastle medics have to keep the Argentine fit this season.

In the three previous games before Colo returned, we had picked up one point and conceded 10 goals – and it’s those three games that really sunk our season, in terms of both points and goal difference.

3 points and a better goal difference would have seen us in 11th place last season, so 4 points from those 3 games against Sunderland, West Brom and Liverpool could have done it – but of course it didn’t happen and we finished 5th bottom.

But there’s no getting away from the fact that Coloccini’s influence on Tyneside has become massive since Kevin Nolan moved on.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Coaching · Fabricio Coloccini · Newcastle News

35 responses so far ↓

• 1 yo-yo // Jul 10, 2013 at 9:46 AM

Pardew does have his strengths but does need to up his tactical nous. Where’s our new coach ?

• 2 TorqToon // Jul 10, 2013 at 9:50 AM

TDS – No bother mate.

I never professed to be ITK. I didn’t even know what it was until somebody labelled me with it. I also have stated I don’t have any links with NUFC other than a few months working witg the medical team there. And I haven’t ever said that we WILL, or HAVE signed a player with 100% certainty.

I was simply in the right place at the right time in the winter when I said we were in for our French targets. Had I been working in Germany or Belgium, I may not have heard about them. And my time on this blog would be much simpler with less grief chucked my way (not ny you!).

I’m keeping a lot more under wraps now. To be honest, I’m not here for acclaim or ego, but to discuss this club. And if things go the way I believe they will, I will be simply happy that my friends and colleagues have been truthful and honest with me.

• 3 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 10, 2013 at 9:51 AM

JfA

I really hope we don’t sell Cabaye! We’ve got to have a net spend this summer though. There’s the extra TV revenue and we’re slimming down our wage bill a little.

The risk of “doing a Leeds” is only when a club pushes so hard for the CL that they have a wage bill that cannot be supported outside of that. We need to work on the principle that we’re aiming for Europa League qualification, but I’d like to see them budget on the basis of a 10th place (at worst) finish. If we do better then we have more money to spend in future.

Not just transfer fees that are relevant though, as wages are a huge part of a contract.

Remy would be a good deal, but I’m not sure if I want the greedy git at the club…

• 4 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 10, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Torq – good man. (I’m assuming you’re a man anyway – not many lasses on here!)

Always interesting to get someone’s insights with a little qualification added to it!

• 5 hadthetshirt // Jul 10, 2013 at 9:56 AM

@Torq.I see changes being made at training ground.Hope your right what you said a few weeks ago ;)

• 6 Jamseyd24 // Jul 10, 2013 at 10:01 AM

My only fear with Colo and STaylor is the fact that they will both get injured at some point during the season and knowing our luck it will be at the same time. So I feel we need another central defender. Does anyone feel any off the youth players are ready to step up, Good for example???

• 7 Jamiemac // Jul 10, 2013 at 10:04 AM

I agree with Clough

Far far FAAAAR too much emphasis an tactics analysis by fans =.

• 8 TorqToon // Jul 10, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Hadthetshirt – I assume you are talking about the coaching staff mate?!?!

• 9 TorqToon // Jul 10, 2013 at 10:06 AM

TDS – Yes sir. I am of the male Breed! :-)

• 10 pawl250 // Jul 10, 2013 at 10:15 AM

Torq -

What do you know?! “Under wraps” “Cannot be turned down bracket”

Do not worry about the select few on here that moan and groan about the PEA transfer, if anything you proved knowing we had bidded, as his club confirmed us, Anzhi and Rubin made offers higher, which were rejected.

So we want to know, of course nothing is 100% i.e. Remy in January, you cannot foresee changes of heart, or special circumstances.

But 80-90% of the posters on this blog appreciate your information and input. I certainly do, and noticed early doors you are genuine.

Toon Danno I have never heard much of before, so I am skeptical admittedly, but we all have to start somewhere.

So what do you know, if the blog police arrive we all know its early doors and things can change. Its just nice knowing some activity is happening?

More importantly, what figures are being quoted for Cabs? I suspect 25m will get him, but you make it out like it could be more?

• 11 Yohan Kebab // Jul 10, 2013 at 10:26 AM

typical we need forwards and wingers and were gonna sign a gk! albeit from what ive heard hes a good keeper already with the potential to be great

• 12 yo-yo // Jul 10, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Torq

Hope yer not getting a slagging off and don’t let the odd weird remark out you off passing on the snippets.

Pity about PEA – can’t blame him he’s gone to a good outfit – but lets hope Siem gets “over the line” regardless of Cabs staying/going

• 13 chuck // Jul 10, 2013 at 10:28 AM

A great man manager, I would say a big time bullshitter, full of aspirational cliches and other nonsense, who bullshitted Ashley into giving him an eight year deal , which he now regrets.
    Look Ed. you and the rest of us should understand having watched how his sides play, he is out of touch with the modern game and get’s by on hoofball and bull.
    Anyone who hasn’t figured this out by now should pick another sport to watch, because they obviously don’t understand football.

• 14 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 10, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Always nice to read good balanced views on the club. I’ve said for a long time that this summer we need to:
    – sign one striker
    – sign one attacking midfielder/striker
    – ship out some dead wood
    – decide what youth players are good enough and get it right this time
    – get in more young hungry players for youth/fringes of first team
    – get our academy to category one
    – look at changes to our coaching/fitness to prevent so many muscle injuries

With a decent pre-season, we should be aiming for 7th/8th place with an outside chance of pushing for Europe if we really perform.

• 15 TorqToon // Jul 10, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Pawl – that’s good to know. Thank you.

On Cabaye, the general consensus over here is that €30mil won’t be enough to secure him. This is a bloke who is destined to be the future captain of the French national side and one of the 1st names on the timesheet.

Word is they will have to bid around the €35-37mil euro mark to force NUFC to sell. This will go one of three ways, they will be put off by the price, they will include 1 (poss 2) players in the deal to reduce the amount of cash paid, or they will bid and we will lose Cabaye for ‘carroll-esq’ money.

• 16 yo-yo // Jul 10, 2013 at 10:28 AM

hadtheshirt

what improvements can you see coaching side ?

• 17 TorqToon // Jul 10, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Yo-yo – no mate. No slagging off (…yet!)

Just a debate regarding those who are privy to pieces of information. Nothing nasty.

• 18 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 10, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Torq

I possibly should have qualified my earlier statement to read “don’t pay any attention to people claiming to be ITKs!”

That makes a lot more sense!

• 19 cestriasteve // Jul 10, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Torq always value your posts if Cabeye does go who would u suggest we buy to harness the potential of Sissoko I thought in the 2011 season when formula of tiote won the ball cabs distributed it was a winner, sadly missing last season

• 20 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 10, 2013 at 10:36 AM

If the club is willing to turn down a €30M offer for Cabaye then I think that shows excellent sense and ambition. Ok, every player has his price but some people are concerned that a £20M bid would secure any one of our players.

I don’t think Cabaye is necessarily worth that much, but it’s great to know that we at least not undervaluing our players and at best able to put a premium on them.

• 21 STB // Jul 10, 2013 at 10:41 AM

30m € for Cabaye and a front 6 in 4-3-3 cum 4-2-3-1 composed of Sissokho, Tioté (if back to best, or Anita if not) Bafri, S de jong, Remy and Cissé would do me fine.

• 22 yo-yo // Jul 10, 2013 at 10:41 AM

@15

Bargain !! Cheap kebabs for sale c/w plenty of French sauce

€30 mill is £25m
    €35 mill is £28.7m

How much aare Sakho and Gameiro worth – €12m each ?

• 23 pawl250 // Jul 10, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Torq -

Any links you know of?

TDS

Not many ITK’s these days, but Torq tends to get alot of his information right. I will be skeptical about others looking for attention but Torq has been here a long time, and as stated mostly right.

He is not a ITK, but hears things in his profession. What we choose to believe is up to us, he does not offer guarantees.

• 24 lesh // Jul 10, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Torq….. you’ve made a wise move in deciding to keep your counsel on potential moves you’ve heard about. You’re in a no-win situation.

You could pass it on that you’d heard of the remote possibility signing Kim Jong-il and still you’d be crucified when it didn’t happen!

You’re in a no-win situation but please do carry on feeding little tit-bits – with of course your disclaimer in the event of them not becoming reality!

• 25 pawl250 // Jul 10, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Yoyo

The conversion is 1.16 right now so

35 million euros is actually £30 million.

Sahko is approx £8-9 million I would venture a guess at.

So £20 million and Sahko they have a deal.

£20 million is more than enough to get a replacement midfielder.

Aswell as hopefully, Remy and De Jong? Any news on that front anyone?!

• 26 TorqToon // Jul 10, 2013 at 10:50 AM

It’s difficult because I don’t want to get anybody back up by holding back on info, but at the same time, like you say, it’s a no win situation. So is probably the most sensible way.

Anyway gents, been good talking to you all. Better squeeze in a little work at some point today. Have a good day. :-)

• 27 TorqToon // Jul 10, 2013 at 10:52 AM

DONE DEAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Loic Remy and Darren Bent signed for combined fee of £11.5mil!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Only messing….! Good day, y’all! ;-)

• 28 Toon-82 // Jul 10, 2013 at 10:53 AM

I’m looking forward to seeing Streete, Bigi, and Campbell getting a run out in pre season.

Hope Williamson goes, Streete could replace him.

Bigi will step in for Perch, which is forward thinking.

Also sell Ameobi, get Remy, we have Campbell to look at.

I think these 3 youth players will step up, there are people like Sammi, Ferguson, Tavernier, who ain’t good enough in my opinion.

Also would sell Obertan, Gutierrez and get someone like Ince/Sinclair if the fee is right.

• 29 nufc 11 // Jul 10, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Id sell him in a heart beat if we got a decent offer, the defence was terrible last season leaking 80 something goals with him leading them, nearly cost us our league status, not the player everyone makes him out to be, he can be having a stormer and then out of no where he can make the most amature of mistakes very like titus bramble, posistioning, heading whatever, to many games to name he cost us and his the leader of the team no wonder we failed so bad, to get the best frm him he needs to play with a monster CB which we dont have, Yanga is very small aswel id like us to go for Shawcross, get REMY or BA up top with a left winger that can cross and well be ok….

• 30 DevonToon // Jul 10, 2013 at 10:59 AM

People keep quoting 20-25 for cabs, but imo if ash played hard ball with the bindippers, i think he will bleed every penny possible out of one of the richest clubs in world…

• 31 HullMag6 // Jul 10, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Shawcross? Give your head a shake. At that rate we shouldve stayed in for Douglas.

We need better than that, not sure who.

Better who we know now than any old hoofer.

• 32 DevonToon // Jul 10, 2013 at 11:13 AM

Ergh hate trying to message at work, now i look like im just a sheep copying torq… aint cabs also mike fav player?

• 33 Klatoon // Jul 10, 2013 at 11:27 AM

I like Cabaye but if we sold him for silly money and replaced him with Ever Banega,i wouldnt complain!

• 34 HullMag6 // Jul 10, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Yep so it’ll be top dollar or nothing for cabs but if he does go won’t debs want to follow eventually? That’s the fear.

• 35 nut meg // Jul 10, 2013 at 11:30 AM

If we’re going to play a high line we had better get somebody who is quick because Taylor,collo & williamson certainly are’nt.

previous post: New French Contingent To Propel Newcastle Forward?

next post: This Czech Wonderkid (Striker) Would Cost Just £4M