The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Target Turns Down Cardiff – Magpies Moving In?

4:56 pm, Friday, July 12th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 263 Comments

News today that potential Newcastle target Tom Ince has declined the chance to join newly promoted Premier League club Cardiff City.

tom ince balckpool 99

Tom Ince – turns down Cardiff City

Sky Sports are reporting the 21 year-old asked for some time to consider the move, after Cardiff had a rather high bid of £8M accepted by Blackpool, but the England U21 midfielder has decided to stay put at Bloomfield Road.

On the Cardiff City web-site today, this is what the Welsh club have posted:

“We can confirm that Blackpool midfielder Thomas Ince will not be joining the club.” “Having agreed a fee with Blackpool FC towards the end of June and with the player and agent happy with personal terms offered.”

“The Blackpool manager and Thomas’ father Paul confirmed on Friday that, due to the recent birth of Thomas’ first child this week, the player didn’t want to leave his family or the Seasiders at this stage of his life.”

It’s going to be interesting if another club comes for the player, because Tom seems to have put himself into a bit of a corner.

What happens if a top club like Newcastle United for instance now agrees a fee with Blackpool for the player, would Tom turn down a move to Newcastle?

We don’t think so.

But of course he could always say Newcastle is a lot closer to Blackpool than Cardiff – and it is – it’s about 233 miles to Cardiff from Blackpool) and a short (very short) 150 miles to Newcastle.

map newcastle 99 map newcastle

OK so that’s what he says – and thanks to reader Ben Broad for that excellent reasoning –  for how Tom can still join Newcastle. :D

But we don’t think Newcastle will pay the £8M transfer asked by Blackpool (have you heard that one before?), and the Seasiders may have to accept a smaller fee for the winger, although he may get better wages at Newcastle.

But of course that’s if Newcastle are really interested, although early last week Sky Sports reporter David Craig said that he thought Ince would end up at Newcastle, but we don’t know if that was based on some inside information he had – maybe not.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

263 responses so far ↓

• 1 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 12, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Errr….yes, he would.

Because:
    1 – he’s just stated that he wants to be close to his newborn child in Blackpool (we’re about the same distance away as Cardiff are)
    2 – it’s been made pretty clear that he’ll only move for regular first team football. I don’t see how he could be a guaranteed starter ahead of Ben Arfa and Goofy.

• 2 toon kk // Jul 12, 2013 at 5:00 PM

We wouldn’t offer 4mil for him never mind 8mil

• 3 Big Pappa Cissé // Jul 12, 2013 at 5:01 PM

Would rather have Sinclair. Premier League proven and would probably cost less, no brainer IMO

• 4 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 12, 2013 at 5:01 PM

Wrong side of the bed this morning TDS?

• 5 richyg01 // Jul 12, 2013 at 5:01 PM

He said he wants to stay in Blackpool to be with his young child.

Blackpool to Cardiff = 330miles
    Blackpool to Newcastle = 150miles

So I guess he would be closer if he came here, but cant see it.

• 6 Sazzer // Jul 12, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Sounds like a bullshit excuse.

• 7 Bearsize // Jul 12, 2013 at 5:03 PM

Its a non starter it would mean we had to sign someone! Next!!!!

• 8 Sazzer // Jul 12, 2013 at 5:06 PM

ToonDarnSarf
    If he score 18 goals and 12 assist like last season or half of that then we would be regular starter for us.

• 9 Spotlight Kid // Jul 12, 2013 at 5:06 PM

‘….would he turn down a move to Newcastle?’

After all playing under K & P dream team is what everyone ambitious footballer dreams of……

PS: Richyg01 – you need to get your geography and/or satnav fixed!! 330 miles would get you to the toon from Cardiff!!.

• 10 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 12, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Sorry Ruddy…must be in an argumentative mood!

• 11 kevymartins // Jul 12, 2013 at 5:08 PM

I just saw MA standing in kfc signing ” I don’t know what you herd about me but if you can’t get a dollar outa me then im a mo fo pimp, when your rolling with me your rolling with me your rolling with the p.i.m.p, kinnear and pards at each shoulder ;) :)

• 12 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 12, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Check it out on your sat nav or Google Maps. It’s about two and a half miles from Blackpool to Cardiff or Newcastle.

• 13 moonraker // Jul 12, 2013 at 5:08 PM

He aint turning down Cardiff because of the baby that’s for sure; he’s waiting for a bigger club. I think he would come to Newcastle but he’s too expensive at 8 million imo.

• 14 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 12, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Or hours even…

• 15 DokToon // Jul 12, 2013 at 5:09 PM

pards… “we couldnt get him over the line… was too far for the feedings, diaper changes… etc…”

• 16 Sazzer // Jul 12, 2013 at 5:10 PM

Anita came with a newborn left in Holland.

• 17 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 12, 2013 at 5:11 PM

Sazzer

But that’s in the championship mate. Liverpool let him go because they didn’t see PL potential in him. So £8M is a lot of money for a player that Liverpool released just 2 years ago.

I also think he ends up looking like a prize idiot (admittedly not new for a footballer) if he uses the excuse of his newborn child to not move to Cardiff and then ends up at Newcastle. Fair enough if he goes to Everton or back to Liverpool, but we’re just as far away as Cardiff.

• 18 ToonMatt // Jul 12, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Good player and I would love him to join us but we just can’t compete with teams like Cardiff, Swansea, Southampton etc

• 19 toon kk // Jul 12, 2013 at 5:16 PM

He obviously has his heart set on a bigger club than Cardiff, I reckon his family is just an excuse.

• 20 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 12, 2013 at 5:18 PM

Sazzer

Everyone’s different mate. I wouldn’t begrudge someone putting family before a transfer, it would make a refreshing change.

Besides, he’s 21 and he’s with a good club getting regular football in a competitive league. There’s no hurry for him to leave. Sure, I’d like to see someone like him at Newcastle but I’ll not be too disappointed if he doesn’t come.

• 21 blew // Jul 12, 2013 at 5:21 PM

No established Premier League Club has been in for him
    which speaks in volumes, but no doubt most will have looked very closely at him. He isn’t good enough.
    Similar thing with Sinclair, having played for 9 league clubs and still only 24 years, again it speaks in volumes about his ability – or the lack of it. He will be a liability at the Toon, as he is with Man. City, Swansea snapped their hands off when a bid was put in. A simple conclusion – Englishmen are not as good as foreigners, however, Broken Brain(our manager) wants Englishmen. The good ones are fixed up and not for sale, if they were MA would not pay the price.

• 22 Ian Toon // Jul 12, 2013 at 5:24 PM

- TDS On Benteke– Is it completely obvious that he’s ….got to big for his boots!
    What a daft comment. From my assessment he seems perfectly well equipped to meet the challenges of playing in The Champions League. Why shouldn’t he be ambitious when he’s clearly talented. A view formed from watching him – he would be perfect for us. He will appreciate in value to meet the Ashley test whilst helping the toon to be playing CL football within a couple of seasons.
    There are some players worth pushing the boat out for and his age and price should make him a target.

• 23 Sazzer // Jul 12, 2013 at 5:30 PM

True, Milan let go of PEA and Dortmund now bought him.

Maybe, he need more time than Liverpool felt they had. Also Liverpool as a club didn’t make the best choices two years ago.

Anyway, I don’t think we get him if Sinclair is half the price.

• 24 Sazzer // Jul 12, 2013 at 5:36 PM

ToonDarnSarf
    Yeah he might wait until right offer comes along like PEA. Also to remember is that a move to Cardiff wouldn’t most likely be a long-term solution for him. Which means that they would have to move soon again.

• 25 Ian Toon // Jul 12, 2013 at 5:39 PM

TDS- Have you been on the sherbet! Another daft comment on Tom Ince being released by Liverpool and so we to just right off any possibility of him becoming a success?
    David Platt was released at 21/22 by Man Utd. Some footballers are late developers. Ince would be perfect to feature on the left side/ wing man. He is a developing goalscoring and provider of crosses. Just what we need.
    I am file you away in the ” doesn’t know much about football ” column.

• 26 sparky55 // Jul 12, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Unfortunately Pardew has given the press more ammunition that newcastle football club is being ran by a pair of rambling idiots.

Take a look at this….It’s frightening and of course nothing was his fault!

“What we have to find is a defined way of playing.
    “Sometimes that can go astray when confidence is low.
    “It is going to be about our game-plan of how are we going to score and affect the match.
    “That is something I will be working hard on in pre- season. We need the right personnel in the right areas to do that.
    “I have never been accused of setting up boring teams.
    “Not ever – until last year.
    “All my teams have always played on the front foot and are trying to win the game.
    “I have always set my teams up like that.
    “But we got into situations last year where in some of the games we were hanging on.
    “That was through, I think, a lack of conditioning at times because of the games we were playing.
    “Teams have a different mentality when things just aren’t going well.
    “I am sure on occasion my tactics were wrong.
    “I am not going to be egotistic enough to think that every time I put out a team and I set it up that it’s going to be perfect.
    “But having said that, some of the criticism we had last year, particularly myself, I felt was unfair.
    “If I was that tactically naive, how did we finish fifth the year before? Sometimes it is about confidence in players.
    Confidence can affect whether they make those forward runs and make something happen.
    “That comes from results and belief.
    “So sometimes when players aren’t at their attacking best it’s because they are lacking confidence.
    “Maybe something is inhibiting them.
    “You have to understand that sometimes that confidence can get lost.
    “Sometimes it can be me or sometimes it can be the feeling within the player.
    “It is difficult question to answer, but I hope that I have answered it the best way I can.”

• 27 Ketsbaia9 // Jul 12, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Don’t rate him. He was released by Liverpool and we shouldn’t be going for British players just for the sake of it. The only english players I’d sign would be Mcmanaman and Theo Walcott.

• 28 Mister Tuff // Jul 12, 2013 at 6:11 PM

sparky – I’ve got to agree with your comments.
    When Looney Joe was at full throttle with his interviews I was wondering about a comment from the club – to ease tensions – like others I was wondering -where is Percy. Mysteriously Percy was missing in action -obviously trying to give Looney Joe more room to hang himself. It apparently has never been known in the history of modern football for Percy to be incommunicado for, I think, 23 days. Clearly an entry for the Guinness Book of records.
    Now that Percy is back at his desk -he is back to form -straight into drivel spouting mode -coming out with gobbledygook that no-one knows what he is talking about. He is a tool of a manager.

• 29 FatmanJoe // Jul 12, 2013 at 6:12 PM

He would make our squad stronger but I think it’s unlikely he’ll want to come to us to sit on the bench.

I still prefer the idea of Sinclair.

• 30 MacToon // Jul 12, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Jeez, getting a bit “war and peace” on here at times and I don’t mean the arguements!

I see our latest ITK has failed to predict the future:

ToonDanno // Jul 4, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Remy will be signed by this time next week

————————-

but did notice he changed Thursday to Friday after that post!! Still wrong though?

• 31 IITianToon // Jul 12, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Well at least Pardew knows that the fans are not blind. He knows his formations, personnel and tactics are being keenly looked at by fans.

• 32 Bearsize // Jul 12, 2013 at 6:15 PM

I love how walcott decided to play well when he was after his contract ( hat trick against us ) then once signed he went back to his inconsistent best. I hate how players do that! Shola’s been doing it for years and is poo!

• 33 Big Pappa Cissé // Jul 12, 2013 at 6:21 PM

I wonder if Pardew’s sudden backtracking on his tactics includes corners. We must be close to 500 now without scoring. Reminds me of a quote actually:

“Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.” – Albert Einstein

Aiming for the big man at the back stick it is then :)

• 34 toon kk // Jul 12, 2013 at 6:23 PM

I see s..land are about to make their ninth signing. They must have noticed they needed strengthening I wonder when MA will.

• 35 Bearsize // Jul 12, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Lol i think he should put him on the near stick as all our dreadful corners end up there!

• 36 FatmanJoe // Jul 12, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Rita Mae Brown said that about insanity before Einstein. But yes, you’re right. That could definitely be attributed to the general running and management of our club at the moment.

• 37 tom68 // Jul 12, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Spot on Sparky. The man makes me so bloody angry

• 38 bollance // Jul 12, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Would anyone sell HBA for £15-20m and buy both Sinclair and Ince providing they want to come for a combined £13-15m.

Last season we had a problem scoring. Sinclair and Ince will score goals. But Pards has not usually played two out and out wingers. Plus how many assists did guti and HBA get last season? Not many.

If those two came in then realistically we could also get rid of obertan and Guti for £3-5m or is that being optimistic?

• 39 bollance // Jul 12, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Or a midfield quartet of,

HBA Cabaye Tiote Sissoko

• 40 IITianToon // Jul 12, 2013 at 6:48 PM

@bollance 5m for Guti is deffo optimistic!! :P

• 41 kevymartins // Jul 12, 2013 at 6:48 PM

@Bollance are you crazy? ffs mate catch yourself on benny is 10x better than both them put toghter. If you hadn’t noticed at the games when the fans go complete bunkers for ben arfa and get him forced on from the bench, They geordie faithful wouldn’t swap ben arfa for messi we love the lad.

• 42 sparky55 // Jul 12, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Bollance@38…yes I’d sell HBA and yes I’d buy Sinclair but no I wouldn’t buy Ince…13 midfielders in the squad is enough!

• 43 Patoon // Jul 12, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Ruddy

As much as i’ve tried 2 like u and tried 2 agree with wot u say i just cant, u are a complete cnut, 2 u ur opinion seems 2 b the only 1 that matters, u r a complete keyboard warrior that has balls the size of a cockroaches, u r a slimey tramp just like Gazza and George Best, if either of these tramps had hav been a member of the public they’d hav been thru in jail but bcos of who they are they get defended by dicks like u, maybe ur in the same kind of league

• 44 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 12, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Patoon

And what exactly have I done now to deserve this latest torrent of abuse?

• 45 Spoof // Jul 12, 2013 at 6:54 PM

FatmanJoe
    are you sure about that, when Einstein died Rita Mae was only 11 years old, so she would have to have been very young, she may have been the first to use it as a written quote, not too sure about verbally saying it though.

• 46 toonicle // Jul 12, 2013 at 6:54 PM

I’d rather see Tiote sold and use the money for a winger and someone like Charlie Austin.

• 47 Patoon // Jul 12, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Ruddy

Maybe i flew off a bit ther but i’m just sick of ur constant arguing and disagreeing with people, every1 is entitled 2 their opinion without u sayin ur bit as if its gospel

• 48 sparky55 // Jul 12, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Patoon@43…no need m8…many of us have polar opposite views on some subjects and some us may be more verciferous than others in arguing them but no need for that m8…I can’t be arsed with the war of words that is about to ensue…keep your powder dry for stuff that matters

• 49 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 12, 2013 at 6:57 PM

“cnut…slimy tramp…dick”

Bit much don’t you think? I was merely saying that showing empathy for another human being, especially someone who has battled addiction can go a long way.

• 50 kevymartins // Jul 12, 2013 at 6:58 PM

WTF people on here wan’t ben arfa, tiote sold? If you said that in the middle of newcastle you would be laughed at even worse lynched… Why the fcuk would you wan’t to go sell our two best players? Wow they had a bad season but so what so did the hole squad, how well did krul,santon,taylor,colo,cabaye play last season? …we can’t sell our best players and replace them with complete flops/fcuk ups…. Tiote and ben arfa will be instrumental next season and with the world cup next year I think it will make cheik a better player. Plus there bloody young and have a lot to prove.

• 51 FatmanJoe // Jul 12, 2013 at 6:58 PM

Spoof. I think so

• 52 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 12, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Just because I disagree with an opinion doesn’t mean I think it’s wrong, it just means I have a different view.

My own views and opinions have changed, so my views are open to change. Perhaps I stand by my opinions to the last, but I think Kevy would say that I wasn’t arguing with him, just disagreeing.

You seem to have a problem with me, while that is unfortunate, I’m not going to change the way I discuss things here.

• 53 Patoon // Jul 12, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Ruddy i apologise for the names, i truly regret wot i wrote, just hate people defending people like Gazza and Best when they get more chances than the normal guy jus cos they’re pro footballers

• 54 sparky55 // Jul 12, 2013 at 7:02 PM

kevy…his injury record is horrendous and his sparks of brilliance are now too and far between…he is Mr inconsistency and in most cases is hopeless in his defensive duties and doesn’t release the ball when he should…IMO the bad stuff outweighs the good stuff but just my opinion

• 55 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 12, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Patoon

Alcoholism is a strange disease, purely because a lot of people think that these people can simply give up drinking, when the reality is much different.

Alcoholism is a disease, a diagnosable medical condition. I’m not saying these people deserve more chances than the “regular” alcoholics, but because they have more money and a better status they seem to get more chances, and still fall off the wagon.

Addicts of all kinds need constant support, even when they stumble and fall, their families need constant support too because they are liable to suffer as much, if not more, than the addict themselves.

Perhaps people in my life have been touched by addiction, and I understand the difficulties around it, so maybe we should hold back on the insults as nobody truly knows the other person the other side of the keyboard.

• 56 FatmanJoe // Jul 12, 2013 at 7:05 PM

HBA isn’t perfect and makes lots of mistakes that seem to be forgotten about. If a decent offer came in and the money was used to buy 3-4 players that can benefit the squad I’m all for it. But I’m equally happy if he isn’t. Just needs to iron out those silly mistakes.

Seems like every time a defender makes one they get booed and slated on here but every time HBA makes one it gets ignored.

• 57 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 12, 2013 at 7:05 PM

But this is a side point that’s taking away from football discussion.

• 58 kevymartins // Jul 12, 2013 at 7:06 PM

@Sparky he is young and still in the process of learning, You can’t blame him for his inurie problem that was just bad luck and if he didn’t break that leg god knows what he could have achieved but seriozly I think there was something wrong with him last season bit of depression maby with the weight gaining and all all that a side I reckon if he knuckles down this pre season get’s fit and stays injury free anything is possible, you could never in a million years see sinclaire or ince do the stuff that benny sometime’s comes up with, he can be unbelieveable sometimes.

• 59 Big Pappa Cissé // Jul 12, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Gazza was a great footballer and I just like to leave it there. I do feel sympathy from him but if the will power needed to stop drinking doesn’t come from the love of his friends and more importantly family then it never will.

He is not just hurting himself but the guy has kids, parents and siblings that love him yet he would rather drink himself to death. That is why I have no more respect for the guy.

• 60 Patoon // Jul 12, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Ruddy

I actually think more of u 4 putting it in such a way rather than teln me 2 go 2 fcuk, i was our of order and regret it, HTL

• 61 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 12, 2013 at 7:08 PM

I think it’s because HBA is clearly the most technically gifted player at the club, and because we don’t exactly play the most exciting football, we are inclined to give HBA the benefit of the doubt more often than not when he makes mistakes.

I’d love to see him become a better team player though, he needs to chip in with a few more assists, lift the head more often and play passes rather than play his way out of trouble and he’ll be a better player for it.

• 62 toon kk // Jul 12, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Personally selling ben arfa would be a massive mistake but I would listen to offers for tiote, he’s replaceable and he does far to many fouls for my liking.

• 63 GeordieTwo // Jul 12, 2013 at 7:08 PM

One of the keys that determines how a full season goes is cover for the starting 11. It should be fairly obvious and most teams get it but not us. If we get injuries to any or all of the following players what happens to our season: Ben Arfa (we know his injury record), Saylor (same as previous), Colo (getting older and has back problems now), and even Cisse (our only decent striker)? What happens is that we collapse in the second half of the season because our owner won’t let us carry a decent squad. A huge problem for us.

• 64 kevymartins // Jul 12, 2013 at 7:08 PM

If we can get him in good form then we simply have a world class player, that’s it, when he scored that goal vs bolton he looked like he was touched by the hand of god.

• 65 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 12, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Patoon

There’s no need lad. I can be a right prick at times, I know, so I can see where you’re coming from haha

• 66 DevonToon // Jul 12, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Bollance – not me chap, benny can do stuff with a ball only a handful in the world can do. For me he is the only un-replaceable player in our squad. Iv seen a few on her say he only runs around like a headless chicken, but if u hadnt noticed, he would take on 3-4 players then have no support.. We have him in his prime, if he stays fit we have one of the most dangerous players in the league. If he stays fit this will be his last season with us b4 heading to a CL team

• 67 Big Pappa Cissé // Jul 12, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Sell Ben Arfa ?

I’ve heard it all now like.

• 68 Rooster // Jul 12, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Patoon I know were you are coming from concerning bestie n gazza, I have a friend who had a serious gambling addiction that was ruining his life but , he has pulled it around after councelling, that was 1988, still clean fingers crossed one day at a time! any addiction has serious consequences, and now you cannot get away fro gambling any time of the day, one addiction isn’t any worse than another for different reasons, gazza n bestie have had many many chances, bestie succumbed and it looks like gazza wont have the wilpower to stop either, they have tried I know that but it looks inevitable.

Two genius players without doubt, in fact past being genius, I cannot think that gazza will come through it, I hope he does but the odds are stacked up against the lad im afraid.

• 69 RooneyToons // Jul 12, 2013 at 7:10 PM

HBA no way……he can still be one of the greatest players we’ve ever had but the way Tiote played last season was inexcusable and his actions led to so many goals for the other team.
    Something has happened in his head and I think we need to cash in before potential suiters realise he’s a liability. His decision making is shocking.

He added absolutely nothing to the team apart from a yellow card and a gaping hole in front of the back 4(Liverpool at home anyone?).
    And add all this to the fact that he thinks he has a licence to shoot on sight even though he must have the worst accuracy I’ve possibly ever seen then I rest my case.
    Cash in now for maybe £15m and flick through Graeme Carr’s pannini book for a replacement DM and a winger.

BOOM the TOON

• 70 sparky55 // Jul 12, 2013 at 7:10 PM

@kevy…I love the man to bits and he is at a level very few can match so yes I’d be sad to see him go and equally happy for him to stay should he get a bit more consistency and learn when best to release the ball but no-one in the premier league can afford a luxury player anymore…you need more rounded players who can multi-task and defend.

If he can start doing that no one more than me would be happier to see him stay

• 71 Ketsbaia9 // Jul 12, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Sell Cabaye and replace him with Marvin Martin.

• 72 FatmanJoe // Jul 12, 2013 at 7:13 PM

When he’s good, he’s amazing. But he’s definitely inconsistent.

• 73 toonicle // Jul 12, 2013 at 7:15 PM

Kevy- Tiote one of our best? Seriously? He’s good but we have others as good (anita) or who can become even better (Bigi).

• 74 kevymartins // Jul 12, 2013 at 7:15 PM

@rooney When cheik came here and played fabulous football, doing his we turns in the box taking the hand out of pplayers while the manager was screaming clear it haha that was just after he had a bloody amazing world cup. The only player that stood out in the ivory coast team to me, the world cup is next year so why not hold onto him get his confidence back then perhaps listen to offers I guarantee you it could be a risk worth taking could triple his price.

• 75 Big Pappa Cissé // Jul 12, 2013 at 7:15 PM

Why sell unless we can replace with someone of equal ability or better ? . I would only let Cabaye go if PSG would give us 2 players from Menez,Matuidi,Gaimero & Sakho to come the other way. Otherwise he is under contract and an NUFC player.

• 76 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 12, 2013 at 7:17 PM

Ian Toon

Because he’s had one good season in the PL and he’s 22 years old!

There are plenty of players who had an amazing first season and then weren’t so good in the second season. He’s got too big for his boots because a year ago, Villa was a big move for him and he cost them a lot of money, now he’s looking to leave because he’s had a decent season? What would you have said if Cabaye was demanding to leave after one season with us?

As for appreciating in value…what? He’d probably cost around £20M or more to persuade Villa to sell, and you’re convinced he’ll appreciate in value?

Firstly, if he’s that good then richer clubs will outbid us, secondly he wouldn’t want to come to us.

• 77 kevymartins // Jul 12, 2013 at 7:17 PM

@Toonicle you can’t argue the season he scored vs arsenal and took the piss out of rooney that he wasn’t one of THE best cdm’s in the world. Because at that time he was no doubt.

• 78 Patoon // Jul 12, 2013 at 7:18 PM

Rooster

Iv just seen 2 many times in my own community that if a man hits his wife/girlfriend in a drunkin mistake they r tarred 4 life yet these idiots keeps doing it and keep getting chances, but as Ruddy says maybe u hav 2 b in that position 2 understand

• 79 toon kk // Jul 12, 2013 at 7:18 PM

Rooney@69…
    I totally agree. You would think tiote had lost it sometimes.

• 80 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 12, 2013 at 7:18 PM

When it comes to players like Krul, Cabaye, Ben Arfa and Cisse we should be demanding top dollar.

I wouldn’t sell Krul for less than 15m. I wouldn’t sell Ben Arfa for less than 15m and I wouldn’t sell either Cabaye or Cisse for less than 20m.

If clubs came in with this kind of money, it will be difficult for the club to say no.

• 81 GeordieTwo // Jul 12, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Let’s look at some of our cover players:
    Obertan: hopeless
    Marveaux: is he cover or a starter? Either we he’s had injury problems
    Elliot: decent backup, goal has never really been a problem recently
    Haidara: very decent backup and should probably contend for a starting position
    Anita: starter or bench? It’s up to Pardew but why bring him in if not to play?
    Vuckic: horribly injury prone
    Perch: gone
    Gosling: probably gone
    Ferguson: still not sure he will make it in the Prem
    Sameobi: same as Fergie
    Bigi: needs more playing time but where? A loan perhaps?
    Jonas: starter or squaddie? For me not a starter anymore. He had better be in shape this coming season
    Many of the other youngsters need another season at a lower level. What he have (and have lost) indicates we are woefully short in squad depth and quality. Wake up and get back to work Joe.

• 82 toonicle // Jul 12, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Kevy- Yes very true, that’s why i’m saying sell him now while people still remember that and we can cash in on it somewhat. Another season like last year and we’d be lucky to get 5M for him.

• 83 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 12, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Sazzer

Odd that Liverpool didn’t judge it right, but as you say, they bought Carroll at a similar time so their judgement wasn’t great!

If Ince’s concern is that he won’t get enough 1st team football for Cardiff, then he’s clearly not good enough for us, if his concern is that he wants to be near his new baby then he won’t come to us, and if he’s looking for a CL club then he won’t either.

He’s a fool if he’s given the reason of his new baby if it isn’t true. Wouldn’t look good if he moved to the likes of Newcastle or Everton now. I’d like to think his Dad would have advised him better than that.

• 84 IITianToon // Jul 12, 2013 at 7:22 PM

@sparky I could be wrong but wasnt Ben Arfa injured by a tackle in the Maritimo game? Up until then he was fit right?

In fact werent both of his major injuries due to bad tackles?

• 85 Mister Tuff // Jul 12, 2013 at 7:22 PM

devon @66 – well said -benny has skills that others can only dream about. If he was in a better team we would see even more skills.
    I have the same belief in Mr T – tremendous player -if you were an opposition midfielder/forward -the last person you would want snapping at your heals is Mr T – and he does not give up. Again he probably tries to do much and gets caught in possession – having him just doing what he is best at -stopper – should be the aim. Others in the team were were abrogating their responsibilities.

• 86 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 12, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Ian Toon

I didn’t say we should write off the possibility of Ince being a success. I said that only 2 years ago Liverpool judged him as not good enough to stay with them. So paying £8M for a player who just 2 years ago was deemed only good enough for the championship seems like a lot of money.

For £8M we’d get a player with European experience under his belt who had played quite a few matches against top defenders.

• 87 kevymartins // Jul 12, 2013 at 7:23 PM

@Ruddy agreed For the right price they are replaceable.

@Toonicle Well it’s a hard 1 to call he could have another crap season and be worth 5 mil as you said or he could have another amazing season and be worth a fortune I say we should take the chance because either way it’s a win, win we bought him for like 3 anyway…..

Anyone notice tiote stopped playing as good when he got that contract extension, same goes to pardrew, stopped performing.

• 88 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 12, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Seems like Liverpool have released some very good players in the past, not only Ince but have you lads seen Kakaniklic for Fulham?

I think he’s a very good player who has a bright future in the game and yet Liverpool have released these lads.

If only we had such an abundance of PL standard youth players coming through our Academy.

• 89 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 12, 2013 at 7:26 PM

It doesn’t make sense to want any of our first team players to be sold! They’ve proven themselves capable of performing in the PL and they fit into the club and the squad. I don’t care what a players stats are in FM2013, it doesn’t mean that they will necessarily fit in and play well for us next season.

It’s simple for me. I want all our key players retained and only leaving if they are desperate to leave and we get a huge offer, and I want us to sign at least 2 attacking players and a few young hungry players too.

• 90 Big Pappa Cissé // Jul 12, 2013 at 7:27 PM

@ Ruddy

Yeah I like him. I would also have Kerim Frei from them as well. Looks a cracking talent.

• 91 bollance // Jul 12, 2013 at 7:27 PM

There are lots of reasons to not sell HBA but how many games did he play last season plus his primary role is the team is to create chances and he assisted very few goals.

If he proves me wrong this season I will be as happy as the next fan because on his day he is the most exciting player we have had in the past decade.

• 92 Big Pappa Cissé // Jul 12, 2013 at 7:27 PM

From Fulham

• 93 Barras // Jul 12, 2013 at 7:30 PM

Scott Sinclair would be a better signing than Ince.

Nevertheless, I am hoping for Siem de Jong and Remy (if Pardew & co insist).

• 94 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 12, 2013 at 7:30 PM

TDS

But in the event of a big offer for our key players, then I do think they’ll be off.

I am really worried regarding Krul. I mean, I wouldn’t sell him for less than 15m, but I do think an offer of 12m could well see him gone, and Arsenal could well stump that cash, and offer him the prospect of CL football.

I don’t think other clubs will match our valuations for our other players, but Krul is the only one I worry about.

BPC

Frei is a wee flyer, great passing ability too. I can’t quite understand why Fulham were struggling to such an extent last season as they have some good players, although the same could be said for ourselves too.

• 95 MacToon // Jul 12, 2013 at 7:31 PM

It’s not just cover for injuries we lack at times Geordie Two but also competition for places. It keeps players on their toes and playing better to keep their place in the first team, instead we can have players becoming complacent because their starting place is nigh on guaranteed.
    So many times I see it said we have a good starting 11, I get the impression Ashley doesn’t like paying people for sitting on their ar$es!

• 96 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jul 12, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Ruddy…but the bindippers are not as dumb as they look this time because there is a 35% pay back clause in Tom’s contract so they will see some money ;-)

That is why Blackpool is trying to get as much as £8M. Tom is probably worth something like £4.5M.

• 97 Big Pappa Cissé // Jul 12, 2013 at 7:32 PM

It has been two tackles that have halted Ben Arfa’s playing time, one that broke his leg the other damaged his ankle. You can’t blame the lad for them. He has only really had hamstring trouble which was probably brought on from him being injured for long spells.

I think next season he will stay fit for the majority and get close to double figures with goals. Watch this space ;)

• 98 GeordieTwo // Jul 12, 2013 at 7:32 PM

What I’m worried about is where exactly are we going? A thin squad full of injury prone players, some youngsters who either aren’t ready for the Prem (and possibly never will be) and some who should move on or retire (Obertan and Shola are you listening?). What I see is 19 other teams in the Prem busy strengthening to the best of their ability while our DoF has a nice holiday. So do the other 19 teams have it wrong and we have it right or possibly the other way around?

• 99 DevonToon // Jul 12, 2013 at 7:33 PM

Toonicle – tiote is by far our best DM! He had a poor season yea, but two great ones before. People have really short memories… Injuries, acon, poor team in general contributed to his loss of form. He is going to be a tank again this season!

• 100 GeordieTwo // Jul 12, 2013 at 7:34 PM

You’re spot on there MacToon @95. A lot of different issues within the club starting right at the top. A lack of clarity from the management. Mumbled excuses from Pardew and ranting obscenities from Kinnear.

• 101 kevymartins // Jul 12, 2013 at 7:35 PM

__________Krul_______
    debuchy__mbiwa__colo___santon

__________cabaye____tiote___
    _______________sissoko____________

_______gouffran___________ben rfa
    _______________cisse________

Does that look like a team that will get relegated? .. I don’t think so.

• 102 Ian Toon // Jul 12, 2013 at 7:36 PM

TDS- I don’t think you have to think to long or hard to realise that Liverpool F C are not always the best judgeof a player- LOL.

• 103 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 12, 2013 at 7:37 PM

Jesper

Well maybe they knew he would be a good player, but just not good enough for them?

On the Sinclair/Ince debate, I would prefer Sinclair, purely because of his PL experience but I must admit that Ince looks like he could be a good wee player.

• 104 toon kk // Jul 12, 2013 at 7:38 PM

I think MA wanting to sell krul, £ signs are rolling in front of his eyes infact I think hed sell any of our sqad, thats ok but he doesn’t reinvest the money with a like for like.

• 105 Big Pappa Cissé // Jul 12, 2013 at 7:40 PM

On a side not anyone else seen the gameplay for Grand Theft Auto 5 ? . Looks unreal :)

• 106 GeordieTwo // Jul 12, 2013 at 7:41 PM

Kevy @101 there’s very little wrong with our starting 11 as has been said many times. The problem is and has been for several season injuries to key players and lack of decent backup. We are woefully thin behind the starting 11 and getting thinner. There is plenty to do Joe. Your tanning days should be over.

• 107 IITianToon // Jul 12, 2013 at 7:42 PM

@kevy thats the obvious first team.. now put in our usual quota of injuries.. the answer to your question wont be so straightforward!

• 108 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 12, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Ruddy

I’m not overly worried about Krul to be honest. He’s young, he’s playing for a big club and he appears to be improving still. Plus, he’s been getting into the Dutch squad so no problems there.

Sure, he could move to Arsenal, get CL football and stat there for over 10 years, but equally he could find his career damaged if he’s just another one of their attempts to find a successor to Seaman.

Even without my black and white tinted glasses on, I think the best thing for him is to stay with us for a few more years, establish himself as a truly world class goalkeeper and then he’ll either be playing for us in the CL or joining a really top team as the undisputed number 1 there.

The problem with a goalkeeper moving on is that there’s only ever one position they can fill. If Wenger prefers someone else for a few matches, Krul is unlikely to get on the pitch for even a minute. I don’t think he’d want that at his age and Szcz?sny is a good goalkeeper who would compete for that number 1 spot.

• 109 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 12, 2013 at 7:45 PM

Ian Toon

Yup! But then there’s also the question of why bigger clubs that Blackpool hadn’t spotted his potential and signed him, then loaned him out for a season.

It’s obvious he’s done well in the championship, but seeing as the only club properly linked to him was Cardiff, it seems to be that the people who really know their stuff don’t rate him as a sure fire hit in the PL. Cardiff will give this league a damn good go, but they would expect Ince to be the kind of player to stick around for another promotion campaign if the likely relegation happens.

• 110 toonicle // Jul 12, 2013 at 7:45 PM

Kevy- Not a gamble I’d really want to take right now, we could use the money to bring in a class winger and or striker for what we sell him for, well worth it in my opinion. Especially with all the penny pinching that seems to be going on.

• 111 Ian Toon // Jul 12, 2013 at 7:46 PM

There are some really outlandish views being expressed on here.
    I recognise that the football world can be bewildering for some. Every day we are bombarded with claim and counter claim and far more information than we can possibly hope to absorb. Some of us just don’t have the time, energy or patience to process it all and select what’s important, and sometimes it’s tempting to drop some posters
    From your reading list.

However, there are a number of posters who you simply can’t afford to ignore. Let’s be having you back – where are you. What on earth is going on because it isn’t on here. The football hotchpotch and amusing trivia. It’s a survival guide until we start signing players.

• 112 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 12, 2013 at 7:47 PM

TDS

Szczheny, in my opinion, is a poorer GK than Krul, it’s a position they desperately want to improve upon. I seriously hope Julio Cesar signs for them because Arsenal are the only top PL team that need to sign a GK.

We differ on the direction of the club but needless to say, I agree that Krul will inevitably become a worldclass goalkeeper anyway, whether he stays with us or moves on, ideally I’d like him to stay, but I do think Arsenal will plump up the cash so it remains to be seen.

• 113 toon kk // Jul 12, 2013 at 7:49 PM

TDS…..krul will be retired before were in the champions league.

• 114 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 12, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Ruddy

It wouldn’t surprise me if they come up with a £12M bid for him, but I just don’t think it’s a good move for him as I said. I think he’s a bit better than Szczheny too, but Szczheny is younger and is already established at the club. I’m not sure that Krul is in a hurry to join a club and have that level of competition for the number 1 spot. If we don’t get CL football in the next 3 or 4 years, he can move on then and still have plenty of years left at the top.

• 115 TorqToon // Jul 12, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Man this blog is rough lately!!!!

Please sign somebody soon!!

DANNO! Where are you?!???!

• 116 Black and White with an army lol // Jul 12, 2013 at 7:51 PM

so still no signings, is it true Scumberland have signed 9 players so far?

• 117 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jul 12, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Ruddy…you are not as dumb as you look either mate ;-) lol

…sorry mate, I just couldn’t resist :-(

• 118 ToonDanno // Jul 12, 2013 at 7:53 PM

Good evening chaps how is everyone. Sorry not been on for a while been flat out at work

• 119 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 12, 2013 at 7:54 PM

TDS

You could be right, but the prospect of CL football, plus a fatter wedge of cash at the end of the week could tempt him, and I for one would not be surprised if he did make the move, nor would I begrudge him.

This is what I fear when I refer to a lack of ambition. If the club is seen to be lagging, progressing too slowly then the bigger and better players could have their heads turned more easily.

Needless to say, this is all speculation, Arsenal haven’t even made a bid, the club might even turn down a 12m bid if it even came, and maybe Krul would even turn down a move to Arsenal if it was presented to him.

So it’s all conjecture at this point.

• 120 Ketsbaia9 // Jul 12, 2013 at 7:54 PM

We should recruit Sammy Moore from AFC Wimbledon. He’d be a good squad player.

• 121 DevonToon // Jul 12, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Ruddy aint Cesar of to napoli? Id llike him to go arsenal because they are the only top team with a gash keeper like

• 122 rpat // Jul 12, 2013 at 7:55 PM

We are signing James McCarthy. Everton can’t afford him

• 123 Toon_Tom // Jul 12, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Danno – welcome back

Any updates on upcoming acquisitions ?

• 124 Black and White with an army lol // Jul 12, 2013 at 7:56 PM

lets face the fact guys we only need 3 players to challenge positions in the 1st team

GK, RB or LB, STK

the rest of the positions can be filled believe it or not but i think Sissoko should stay as the AMC ( N’10 ) role

• 125 Toon_Tom // Jul 12, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Ha Torq – speak of the devil and he will come ;)

• 126 Ian Toon // Jul 12, 2013 at 7:56 PM

TDS
    He’s highly rated. It’s far harder for a manager to convince a Chairman
    to spend £8 million on a championship player than a proven PL player. So they go for the softer option.
    That’s where judgement of a player comes in and he will appreciate in value. Have you actually watched him other than in the disastrous Pearce debacle, under 21′s ?
    He’s a nailed on proper player and one of the best of the youngish breed.

• 127 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 12, 2013 at 7:57 PM

Devon

There’s been chat of him going to Napoli but I don’t think anything’s sorted.

• 128 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 12, 2013 at 7:57 PM

Ruddy

Also, I don’t think we will differ than much on the direction we want to take the club. I think people think that just because I can occasionally shoot down people’s outlandish wishlists, that it means my main interest is in seeing the club making profits! NOT TRUE!

I really want the club to show some ambition, but I just don’t want us to do that at the risk of getting into the mess that we did before. I look at the model of the successful clubs and there are only 2 sorts:
    1 – the clubs that have built up over a decade or more of gradual progression (Utd, Arsenal, Spurs, Everton, Liverpool)
    2 – the clubs that have grown very quickly due to massive (£100M+ per season) investment (City and Chelski)

I don’t see why we should expect MA to do (2) when we treat him like crap and he can’t even come to the games any more and I don’t see any other billionaires with an interest in doing that with us either. So either we do what Leeds, Blackburn, Portsmouth, West Ham and us have done in the past and go heavily into debt for a short period of success, only to crash, or we do it gradually.

I want us to show ambition, I just want it done right. The youth and fitness areas are crucial here. Both areas can save the club many times over what they would cost to improve them. Think how much we could save if we had a youth player every year breaking into the first team squad.

• 129 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 12, 2013 at 7:58 PM

toon kk

If you really believe that, then you should go down the road and support the mackems, they’re more at home with that kind of mentality…

• 130 TorqToon // Jul 12, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Danno!!! Poor display abandoning us in our hour of need! :-)

What’s the latest?! This place is in meltdown-mode!

Tom – :-)

• 131 GeordieTwo // Jul 12, 2013 at 7:58 PM

My priorities if I was Joe would be:
    1. Bring in a top striker. Retire Shola and bring in a second young promising striker to compete with Campbell.
    2. Sell Obertan and bring in a decent winger to replace him.
    3. Bring in a young replacement for Perch or at least a defensive midfielder who can push Jonas out of the squad in a couple of seasons.
    4. Try to sign a decent youngish CB. Saylor is injury prone, Colo will leave soon, and that leaves Mbiwa and Willo (shudder). Good may come along but we must start building some CB depth.
    5. Have a look at all the youngish players (say 23 and under). Make decisions about all of them. Bigi, Tavernier, Alnwick, Streete, Dummett, Newton, Vuckic, Abeid, Sameobi, Campbell, Richardson, and Inman to name some of them. Assess their strengths and weaknesses and what to do with each of them to bring them along.
    Come on Joe, you can do it (or can you)?

• 132 ToonDanno // Jul 12, 2013 at 7:58 PM

We will sign players stop worrying. The Remy deal is like 80% admittedly is has been for a while which why very surprised not been completed already, but then we know mike doesn’t like to rush these things. Good things come to those who wait:)

• 133 Rooster // Jul 12, 2013 at 7:59 PM

I still feel there are a couple at least coming in, but we are all getting restless, its not a frigan game for us fans, its bad enough listening to Pardew, ( full of the proverbial)

Get that striker and winger in for feck sake, just get them in.

• 134 Black and White with an army lol // Jul 12, 2013 at 8:00 PM

here’s a laugh, why don’t we sign both Ince & Sinclair and end this turmoil :)

• 135 ToonDanno // Jul 12, 2013 at 8:01 PM

As for ince were priced out of him unless mike has change of heart which is very unlikelt

• 136 Rooster // Jul 12, 2013 at 8:01 PM

Get the Striker and Winger in asap, to be honest I don’t want to listen to Pardews bullsh.t the bloke winds me up, get them in and get them in NOW.

• 137 ToonDanno // Jul 12, 2013 at 8:02 PM

Sorry torq you know how it is this time if year :)

• 138 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 12, 2013 at 8:03 PM

Ruddy

I don’t think the club would accept £12M but that is just my belief. He’s settled well at the club and we all know how tough it is to get a solid goalie who is settled.

I think if you actually look at the incomings and outgoings over the 18 months, you’ll see that we’ve vastly improved our squad. The only player of note that we’ve lost in the last 18 months has been Ba but we’ve brought in some real quality.

I think the players will see that and see ambition. And if we sign a couple of top players in this window then it’s even clearer.

• 139 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 12, 2013 at 8:04 PM

TDS

I must admit to not agreeing with your sympathies toward MA at all, but you’re aware of where I stand, I am aware of where you stand so let’s not needlessly rehash that old stomping ground.

Yes, we do agree on the direction we want the club to go in but I believe we differ on the direction we both feel the club is heading. I feel we’re on course for constant mid table mediocrity, whereas you believe we’re in stabilisation mode, with the view to kicking on to break the top 6, and eventually top 4.

Optimistic indeed, a view I wish I shared, and once upon a time, I did, but no longer. I hope I am wrong, because if I am our club will succeed.

You’re right though, a good first step would be to finally get the youth Academy up to Cat 1, and see our fitness levels improve next season.

• 140 TorqToon // Jul 12, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Danno – I know mate!

Appreciate you can’t say too much, but what business are you in that allows you privy to such info?!

• 141 stan anderson // Jul 12, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Who gets the info about who we are looking to sign,is it from the press,Pardew or the great man himself,or is he still on his hols.It,s all wishful thinking if you ask me.All clubs are making moves apart from us.

• 142 Jamesthefirst // Jul 12, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Not sure why people keep talking about Cabaye. Ashley brought in a host of players in Jan to build a team around Cabaye.

Be shocked if Ashley sells him.

He is not for sale. So #### off PSG.

A

• 143 GeordieTwo // Jul 12, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Interesting comments ToonDanno but still can’t see Ashley providing enough funds to provide the depth to get us into the top 8. That will probably remain beyond us unless we get very lucky with injuries and most of our starting 11 have an excellent coming season.

• 144 Ian Toon // Jul 12, 2013 at 8:10 PM

TDS- your not a proper football fan. You don’t differentiate
    the wheat from the chaff. You’ve got an overly cautious frugal approach which means you don’t have to exercise judgement. It’s a gamble when you bring in any player so you have to recognise what qualities your looking for and who possesses them. You don’t need to watch Benteke too many times to appreciate his qualities. He will be moving onwards and upwards.

• 145 ToonDanno // Jul 12, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Geordietwo- we are looking to sign four players this window, the funds are there mate

• 146 toon kk // Jul 12, 2013 at 8:11 PM

TDS…..why would I support the mackems? I mean under MA, champions league football ain’t gonna happen any time soon. On a financial front how are we going to compete with top four clubs? But we can only live in hope.

• 147 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 12, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Ruddy

From what I understand, our youth academy is cat 1, but the decision on relegation to cat 2 has been deferred. So we’re still able to act as if we’re cat 1 and if we make the suggested improvements then we stay cat 1.

I’m optimistic because I see the way it’s worked for the likes of Spurs, Arsenal and Everton and I see the way that rapid investment (without a huge backer) has failed for so many other clubs. I genuinely think it’s the right way to do things.

But…I don’t agree with many of the things that MA has done, I really don’t like the Wonga sponsorship, I worry about Pardew’s tactical nous and I worry about JFK talking crap and being an out of touch headcase…

• 148 ToonDanno // Jul 12, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Torq- I’m am employee of the big man himself :)

• 149 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 12, 2013 at 8:14 PM

Ian Toon

I’m not a proper football fan because I use my brain to work out why Benteke would not want to move to Newcastle? I suppose a proper football fan should be saying that we should show more ambition and surely we could convince Messi to come as he’d be a legend in Newcastle when he helped us to a trophy.

Benteke is already at a big PL club that are not in Europe. He won’t be leaving for the same. It’s that simple.

• 150 TorqToon // Jul 12, 2013 at 8:14 PM

Danno – You work for Ashley?!

I assume NOT simply in a SD store?! Ha

• 151 WWYCD // Jul 12, 2013 at 8:14 PM

More itks knock about each window and worryingly people still believe them

• 152 Uncertain Toon // Jul 12, 2013 at 8:16 PM

toondanno,

So you’re a member of the clergy?!!!!!!!!!

• 153 ToonDanno // Jul 12, 2013 at 8:17 PM

Haha I wouldn’t be so lucky to get that sort of position :)

• 154 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 12, 2013 at 8:17 PM

toon kk

Because you’re overly negative and the mackems have never been in the CL so you’ll be in good company!

We were in the running for the CL on the last day of season 11/12 so you can hardly say never! I’d say our squad is better than it was then too.

Sure, we’ve got a lot of catching up to do in terms of our squad and our club revenue, but if we do well in the next few years, then we can be sneaking into the CL occasionally. Just look at Spurs. It’s also possible that some of the more established top 6 will have a really bad period at some point. Imagine if Bale was out for the whole season or Suarez and Gerrard. We could easily finish above those teams then.

Keep the faith.

• 155 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 12, 2013 at 8:17 PM

TDS

We’re category 2, we failed an inspection to have us upgraded to category 1, but we were given time to make the requisite improvements in order to get upgraded, but as of yet I don’t think we have done so.

Good to hear you’re not defending everything he does, but he has pushed me too far with JFK, I now want him gone, as I do with Pardew.

I do think you concern yourself with off field financial thinking that is not really what we should be overly concerned about. The club is run well, but we are too prudent, to the point where we miss out on some targets which can be detrimental to the club’s on field performance.

• 156 Ian Toon // Jul 12, 2013 at 8:17 PM

TDS – Don’t be stupid.

• 157 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 12, 2013 at 8:19 PM

TDS

You’re better off not replying, he’s just trying to get a reaction out of you. Although he is a member of Mensa so he may be able to spot stupidity… :P

• 158 GeordieTwo // Jul 12, 2013 at 8:20 PM

That’s very interesting indeed ToonDanno @143. It does cheer me up to hear it. If they are the right 4 we may yet try for top 8 although I would prefer a different manager personally. Still Pardew has taken us to 5th place once. Perhaps he can approach that again.

• 159 Ian Toon // Jul 12, 2013 at 8:21 PM

We were talking about Benteke and his quality: value. In my wildest dreams I was not contemplating Ashley bidding. The point was your not a good judge of a player. IMHO.

• 160 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 12, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Ruddy

Google produced this: http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/10187334.THE_INSIDER__Newcastle_could_still_achieve_top_academy_status/

I’m not sure of the original place that I read this, but this seems to state what I thought the situation is.

Does Torq have contacts to confirm or deny this?

• 161 toonicle // Jul 12, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Am I the only one who’s not exactly thrilled with the idea of Remy being our striker signing?

• 162 Yohan Kebab // Jul 12, 2013 at 8:23 PM

4 players, a striker, an attacking midfielder/forward/2nd striker a winger and a reserve gk it seems we are going for, not bad,

• 163 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 12, 2013 at 8:24 PM

TDS

That seems to imply that Newcastle are not awarded the full benefits of being a Category One, but are not definitively a category two.

I don’t think we can recruit youngsters with the same ability as full Category One Academies can do, which is the whole point of the category system so we need to achieve full Category One status.

• 164 Ketsbaia9 // Jul 12, 2013 at 8:24 PM

I would take £20-25m for Cabaye.

We also need to sell the following:

Gosling – £1.5m

Siem De Jong – £9m
    Mcmanaman – £6m
    Remy – £8m
    Benteke – £18m

Total spend = £47.5m

Net spend = £15m

We’d have a great squad.

• 165 WWYCD // Jul 12, 2013 at 8:25 PM

We are after 4 players because some lad saying he works for Ashley has thrown it on to a blog…we are actually after 10 I’ve been in sports direct once I know these things

• 166 toon kk // Jul 12, 2013 at 8:27 PM

TDS ……get a grip mate.

• 167 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 12, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Ruddy

I don’t see us as being too prudent when our wages to revenue ratio in 2011/12 was 69%. That’s pretty high. I think we’ve made gradual progression on the squad too.

We’re working in a similar way to Arsenal and I can see the point of it. We don’t want to be signing 29 year olds for £15M and giving them a 5 year contract on £60kpw only for them to be next to useless by the time they turn 32…

What players do you think we’ve missed out on due to the board being tight? Sure, we’ve signed some a window later than we wanted, but I can understand that MA wants to drive a hard bargain. The truth is that if we’d signed Cisse, Debuchy and MYM in the window before then we may have spent an additional £10M on transfer fees and as far as I see it, that’s £10M less that we’d have for the transfer kitty for this window.

• 168 Big Pappa Cissé // Jul 12, 2013 at 8:29 PM

@ Kets

That would work fine on football manager but it is a lot different in the real world. You have to take in to account agent fees, if other clubs are actually interested in our players and if the targets want to join.

• 169 Uncertain Toon // Jul 12, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Reference this keeper scenario I think it’s an excellent idea if we can get that dutch youngin in. Tis future proof really. He would probably overtake Elliott reasonably quickly and challenge Krul. We could then sell Krul in a couple of years for big bucks, especially if he has a good world cup next year and bearing in mind a keeper has a longer shelf life. When do they peak? 30,31,32? Suppose it’s an individual thing.
    Then young Alnwick could challenge Elliott for no2.
    The goalkeeping side is the only area where we have had very good consistent coaching over the years and long may it continue. You just have to look at the season before last, how many points was Krul worth?

• 170 toonicle // Jul 12, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Kets- That’s just silly IMO. Why would we need Benteke, Remy, Cisse, Gouffran, McManaman, Campbell and DeJong all trying to play upfront? Way overspending there and there’s no way Benteke, Remy and Cisse are all going to be happy fighting it out for the one starting spot they realistically would be fighting for.

• 171 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 12, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Ruddy

Agree that we need to get cat one status, but the grace period seems to insinuate that we are able to operate as cat one at the moment. Being in the under 21 league is one of those things. So I don’t see why we can’t recruit youngsters as a cat one academy either. This is all pretty new so it makes sense to give us some time. Hopefully it will be sorted this summer. In fact, not just hopefully, we as fans INSIST that it is sorted this summer.

• 172 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 12, 2013 at 8:34 PM

TDS

We didn’t sign a new CB until Jan 2013, when we needed one since promotion. We didn’t replace Carroll until 6 months later, we haven’t replaced Ba, we needed a RB with Simmo not budging on a contract, yet pinny pinching left us in the lurch for another 6 months.

This might just be delaying signings, but with the injuries we suffered we needed this back-up badly and they let us down.

Also, expenditure on wages is only one part of spending, the high ratio is more of a reflection of our poor revenue streams, which will improve next season with the TV deal.

• 173 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 12, 2013 at 8:34 PM

So I’m stupid because I don’t believe Benteke would bother leaving Villa for us (unless Villa wanted to sell) and need to get a grip because I still hold the belief that we have the squad to sneak into the CL in the next few years, possibly relying on a couple of the top 6 having a bad season.

Sorry…I forgot to be a proper football fan I either need to have a ridiculously high opinion of the status of my club or I have to be constantly moaning about how my club will never match my expectations as a fan.

Sorry again. I’ll remember to bring my irrational football hat next time…

• 174 ToonDanno // Jul 12, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Wwycd very mature and intelligent of you :)

• 175 Big Pappa Cissé // Jul 12, 2013 at 8:35 PM

I sometimes wonder if it is worth having a great academy unless you are one of the big boys.

Sure you get more home-grown players, but generally if they are really special a bigger fish will come along and snap them up. It can work and Porto have showed that but even they are average compared to the big hitters in world football.

• 176 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 12, 2013 at 8:35 PM

TDS

Would you agree that if we didn’t achieve Cat 1 status, the club would then be lacking in ambition?

• 177 Ketsbaia9 // Jul 12, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Siem De Jong’s not a striker. He’s a playmaker. We need another as Cabaye doesn’t create enough. Gouffran would be fourth choice. Every football club needs four strikers to choose from.

• 178 ToonDanno // Jul 12, 2013 at 8:37 PM

This blog is depressing, some of you need to go outside and enjoy the sunshine

• 179 WWYCD // Jul 12, 2013 at 8:38 PM

ToonDanno
    Why are ur unfounded claims any better than mine?

• 180 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 12, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Ruddy

But we signed all those players a window late and several million cheaper. It wouldn’t have been so much of a problem if the likes of Tav, Campbell and Sammy had done more for the first team. That was a cock-up for sure.

We can (and should) only spend the money that we have though. I didn’t expect MA to chuck more money at the club to sign players when he’s already chucked around £40M the previous season to ensure we were promoted. Unless he’s willing to GIVE us say £20M every season, I’d rather see us just spend what we generate and grow organically.

And yeah, revenue streams will increase with the new TV deal and we also need to be constantly improving our commercial revenue streams globally.

Not because I want the club to turn a profit so it looks good in the accounts, but because I want the club to be profitable so we can buy better players!!!

• 181 davis_toons // Jul 12, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Those were the days

(with Pardew picture right at the side)

• 182 Big Pappa Cissé // Jul 12, 2013 at 8:40 PM

@ danno

Not much sunshine at 9 in the North East m8 :) . Although it is still humid as a mother f*cker ;) , mind you this ice cold Bulmer’s black cherry cider is going down nicely in the garden.

• 183 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 12, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Ruddy

I think it depends on the reason it happened. If they could be seen to have invested sufficient money to make it happen then I’d say it was a calamitous cock-up that should result in heads rolling. If they tried to do it on the cheap and it just went wrong, then I’d say that was a calamitous cock-up by whomever made that decision. Assuming it would be MA, I’d agree with you…it would show a lack of ambition on his part.

• 184 toon kk // Jul 12, 2013 at 8:41 PM

TDS….
    Listen to Ruddy you might lurn something.

• 185 davis_toons // Jul 12, 2013 at 8:41 PM

When asked by fans if he will target the cup competitions this year and use strong teams, Pardew said: “I have been really, really unfortunate in the FA Cup.

“It is a competition I have said before that I love.

“It is a competition I have done well in as a player and a manager.

“And yet here, I have had two games (Stevenage and Brighton) when the team I have had to put out have not been representative of the quality in the groups I have had.

“Particularly last year.

“That was probably the low point of the season for me.

• 186 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 12, 2013 at 8:42 PM

TDS

With a billionaire owner who makes a mint on a yearly basis, I’d love to see him pumping some of his own cash on a yearly basis, but it’s been made patently clear that the club will only spend what it generates.

Fair way of running the club, but it isn’t the most exciting for us to see it as fans, and constantly penny pinching when the club can stump up that extra 1m for a transfer, or 10k wages for a top player.

Having strict financial parameters could create a glass ceiling that might make it difficult to progress to where we want to go.

• 187 Dannyo // Jul 12, 2013 at 8:43 PM

@WWYCD
    What do you mean? You don’t believe the self proclaimed ITKs? Well I never….

• 188 davis_toons // Jul 12, 2013 at 8:44 PM

Fans asked in the Toon Survey: Why did you keep playing players out of position last season?

Pardew responded: “When you are searching for a formula sometimes you can make mistakes.

“Sometimes we put a player on the left who was a right- footer.

“You think he can cut in on to his right when he’s on the left and that particular player can make an impact.

“But it doesn’t happen and you’ve got it completely wrong.

“Sometimes you get them right sometimes you can get them wrong.

“Hatem wasn’t really a right-sider until I put him there.”

• 189 Big Pappa Cissé // Jul 12, 2013 at 8:45 PM

The annoying thing is other PL clubs that aren’t even established are splashing the cash. 12 million for Bony to Swansea and the same for Wanyama to Southampton. Ashleys record buy was Collocini at 11 and a half. We need to strengthen now more than ever or we will just stand still while others improve.

• 190 GeordieTwo // Jul 12, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Spot on Ruddy M @183. And hiring your pals to run the club hasn’t worked too well either (Wise, Llambias, Jimenez, Kinnear).

• 191 plana // Jul 12, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Sell Cabaye and HBA, one is a sick note and the other has been tapped up by his mentor Lauren Blanc. So get shot and recruit some new players.

• 192 davis_toons // Jul 12, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Over the next two days Pardew will give his answers direct to United supporters.

Here are the top six questions as voted for by Chronicle readers during May’s survey.

:: Do you have a clear idea of the formation you want Newcastle United to play?

:: Why did NUFC not play more attacking/positive football against teams that were defensively weak?

:: Do you think you got your tactics wrong?

:: Will you target cup competitions this year and use strong teams?

:: Who/what is your main target this summer?

:: Why did you keep playing players out of position last season?

• 193 WWYCD // Jul 12, 2013 at 8:47 PM

Dannyo
    Haha cheeky devil! I am merely giving it a crack myself everyone seems to be able too these days

Hey I might claim to be Ashley himself! Plus 10 is a nicer number than 4 I mean when it all goes t*ts up I will just point out the youth players added to the squad and blame agents when random names I spit out go somewhere else

• 194 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 12, 2013 at 8:48 PM

Ruddy

I’d love it too, I really would. I think there would be an upper limit due to FFP, but I’d love to see him wanting to invest up to that limit as it would speed up our growth as a club significantly.

But…I don’t expect an owner to do that and most owners of football clubs don’t. I also think that it may have been possible when he was sitting with the fans and having a laugh with them, but then I think he made a few decisions that he thought would make him popular and they backfired…

The problem with that extra £1M for a transfer or extra £10k per wages is that it never stays like that. It will escalate. That extra £10K for wages means that 4 or 5 other players demand an increase to put them on parity. It’s all well and good when you’re already a CL club and you sign an absolute top drawer player, but we’re not going to be able to get those kinds of players in just like that.

The financial parameters should change as we grow, hopefully having more youth players coming through should mean we can have more money to buy top players rather than having to spread out the cash on squad players too.

• 195 Uncertain Toon // Jul 12, 2013 at 8:48 PM

Ruddy,

What’s the issue with the academy preventing cat 1 mate? Are the facilities not up to scratch?

• 196 JackButler // Jul 12, 2013 at 8:49 PM

davis_toons

Hope no one’s hoping for any revelations when those questions are put to Pardew, it’ll be the same old boring stock answers of how we were hampered by injuries, how the squad wasn’t big enough and how he think that he did a good job under the circumstances

• 197 DevonToon // Jul 12, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Im not an all day, everyday poster, but i like to read through wen im at work… I know its all been said before but… Kets you are an incredibly silly plonka like… Iv got some questions… A) are you an amoeba? B) why do you love Scharner?

• 198 plana // Jul 12, 2013 at 8:49 PM

And flog Krul, after that showing against the mackems, he can go!

• 199 Ian Toon // Jul 12, 2013 at 8:50 PM

TDS- Your doing what politicians often do respond to a question that was not posed. As I said previously its price: Value. Time will tell on the respective qualities of Benteke and Ince.

• 200 DevonToon // Jul 12, 2013 at 8:51 PM

I got a few more… C) whos ur dealer? D) can i have his number? E) why all the mental ins/out net spend lists?

• 201 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 12, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Uncertain

I’m uncertain too regarding that haha

I reckon it most likely has something to do with the quality of the facilities, I’d love to know specifically where we are lacking though.

• 202 low fell mag // Jul 12, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Toon Danno, is there any update on Darren Bent.

• 203 Dannyo // Jul 12, 2013 at 8:52 PM

@WWYCD
    Haha. Wish you were Ashley mate, I’d write an essay on how to run a company AND be able to please customers at the same time.
    Mind boggling, I know, but it’s possible.

I dunno mate, two big disappointment for me so far.
    1 – No first time signing done for pre-season.
    2 – Appointment of Joe Kinnear.

I expect us to sign at least 2 players tho, and I expect Joe Kinnear to be a PR disaster.
    On the season, I expect it to be a better one than last year. Don’t dare guess how much better, but better.

• 204 lesh // Jul 12, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Reading between the lines, Joe’s on his hols in Bkackpool and has been working his charms on Ince.

So, Ince’ll not be joining us then.

• 205 Toon_Tom // Jul 12, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Danno – explain how you are ITK please? Curious

• 206 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 12, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Ian Toon

What are you referring to? Villa would probably be asking for around £25M for Benteke and the only clubs that would be in for him would be the CL clubs. There’s no point in speculating whether there would be resale value beyond that if we bought him, because there’s no chance we’re going to buy him.

And there aren’t many players that have been bought for £25M and sold on at a profit…but there are lots that have been sold on for a loss…think Carroll…he was being talked up like Benteke before we sold him…

• 207 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 12, 2013 at 8:56 PM

TDS

I will always leave the money worries and considerations to busier minds than myself, as I find it an irrelevant distraction from the football on show.

I do hope we grow in the way you believe we will, sadly it will take 3/4/5 seasons to truly determine once and for all which direction Ashley is taking us in, however, I am off the mindset that mid-table is the best we will see in the next 4/5 seasons, and when we’ve established ourselves as top half in a prudent fashion, Ashley will sell up and move on.

I could be wrong, I admire your optimism, but feel it is misplaced.

• 208 petchey22 // Jul 12, 2013 at 8:56 PM

This is embarrassing now Newcastle are the only premier league club who haven’t made a signing this transfer window…

• 209 davis_toons // Jul 12, 2013 at 8:57 PM

Jack,

as we expected but i will only judge him starting from the 2nd half this season.

• 210 WWYCD // Jul 12, 2013 at 9:00 PM

Dannyo
    If I was him I reckon I’d of given this whole own a PL club thing a better go of it but hey ho haha

I expect nothing of Newcastle this summer tbh other than Kinnear making me want to scratch my eyes out with anger of course.

• 211 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 12, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Ruddy

If I had the mindset that we’d be mid-table for the next 4/5 seasons then I’d be as negative about the club as you are to be honest…I have to believe that there will be more exciting times before then.

I do see the logic in what MA is doing though. There have been some odd decisions (KK+Wise, Shearer, JFK) but trust me when I say that the basis that the club is run under is sound and will put us in good stead for the future.

It will take a while before we’re firmly in the top 6 at least, but I’m still hoping for an exceptional season that surprises us all.

Our first 11 is a match for the likes of Spurs and Liverpool but we haven’t got the world class player like Bale or Suarez and we haven’t got the strength in depth yet.

A season with few injuries and top players firing will mean we can sneak top 6 again.

We’ll know in a few months anyway!

• 212 woolerbill // Jul 12, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Hi Joe
    It’s time to get your fat jazz of the beach, put your bucket and spade away. We need to get some bodies in before they are all gone. We need more than the cheap leftovers, so let’s hear from you.

• 213 check the toastie // Jul 12, 2013 at 9:02 PM

PARDEW OUT – HES JUST SHITE.

NEWCASTLE 0 LIVERPOOL 6

• 214 Toon_Tom // Jul 12, 2013 at 9:02 PM

If we stay away from injuries (which we probably won’t) our current starting 11 on its day could beat the majority!

• 215 JackButler // Jul 12, 2013 at 9:05 PM

davis_toons

Well it seems that you are far more forgiving than I am :D

After the City game we have a run of games that we should be able to win the clocks gonna start ticking very soon into the season

• 216 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 12, 2013 at 9:06 PM

TDS

Personally, I think that MA is no more than a custodian of the club, putting us on a sound financial footing before selling us on to the next owner, who will hopefully be more ambitious.

I don’t think we will ever consistently challenge top 6 with both MA and AP in charge of proceedings.

We might “sneak” in, like we did 2 seasons ago but I don’t want us sneaking in, I want some consistency.

But you’re right, we’ll see in a while.

• 217 low fell mag // Jul 12, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Petchey,dont panic as corporal jones used to say,Next week we will all be smiling, .Keep The Faith.
    Remmy @Bent @ Sinclair will be Geordie Boys.

• 218 elpaso_geordie // Jul 12, 2013 at 9:07 PM

How come Fulham up for sale a few days and already have a buyer?
    Why can nobody save us from this regime arghhhhhhhhh

• 219 toon kk // Jul 12, 2013 at 9:07 PM

TDS
    Maybe you should go and support the mackems, every time someone says anything about ambition you reply with a negative attitude. You would think the money was coming out of your pocket. Most fans want a good signing every now and again. You just want to balance the books.

• 220 Ian Toon // Jul 12, 2013 at 9:09 PM

TDS- you lack imagination as well! Liverpool sold Torres and bought AC. In the scenario where were left with little option but to sell Cabaye you could envisage a situation of us buying Benteke. Your
    Point on him not appreciating in value I think is wrong. Since Ashley
    we lost out on Modric who left Spurs for considerably more than they pad for him after many years service. Try some blue sky thinking your coming across like Llambias.
    Thanks for the craic.

• 221 Toon_Tom // Jul 12, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Elpaso – simply because we are overly priced. We have managed to hold on to our value due to our stature during the 90′s, our stadium and loyal support

• 222 stuart no9 // Jul 12, 2013 at 9:10 PM

so called BIG club NUFC can still not secure category 1 status for the academy — how shocking is that . does ash know how to do anything apart from selling tacky cheap rags .??

• 223 stan anderson // Jul 12, 2013 at 9:12 PM

The people owning and managing OUR CLUB are only interested in the income generated by the club,fans,PL money or whatever else,its just a money making machine to them Cockneys,no love of our club like us.But we keep on turning up to watch the dross served up to us and buy the tops Etc.We are our the chumps who work hard to give our cash to these people.It,never changed in the years i been following the Toon,since 1958 as a boy of 8.

• 224 Dannyo // Jul 12, 2013 at 9:12 PM

@WWYCD
    Oh Kinnear. First him makes you laugh from his stupidity, then he makes you cry because he’s at your club, then he makes you feel shame and embarrassment, then there’s the inevitable doom and gloom discussions splitting fans apart, yet again.

Horrible, horrible appointment.

• 225 jazzyp // Jul 12, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Below is a summary of the signings of the Summer transfer window business so far.

Arsenal: Yaya Sanogo (Auxerre, free).

Aston Villa: Antonio Luna (Sevilla, undisclosed), James Okore (Nordsjaelland, undisclosed), Leandro Bacuna (FC Groningen, undisclosed), Nicklas Helenius (Aalborg, £2m), Jed Steer (Norwich, compensation).

Cardiff City: Andreas Cornelius (FC Copenhagen, £7.5m).

Chelsea: Andre Schurrle (Bayer Leverkusen, £17m), Marco van Ginkel (Vitesse Arnhem, £8m), Mark Schwarzer (Fulham, free).

Crystal Palace: Dwight Gayle (Peterborough, £8.5m), Stephen Dobbie (Brighton, undisclosed).

Everton: Arouna Kone (Wigan, £6m), Antolin Alcaraz (Wigan, free), Gerard Deulofeu (Barcelona, loan).

Fulham: Fernando Amorebieta (Athletic Bilbao, free), Derek Boateng (Dnipro, free), Maarten Stekelenburg (Roma, undisclosed).

Hull City: George Boyd (Peterborough, free), Maynor Figueroa (Wigan, free), Curtis Davies (Birmingham, undisclosed), Ahmed Elmohamady (Hull, £2m), Allan McGregor (Besiktas, £1.5m)

Liverpool: Kolo Toure (Man City, free), Luis Alberto (Sevilla, £6.8m), Iago Aspas (Celta Vigo, £7m), Simon Mignolet (Sunderland, £10m), Danny Wilson (Hearts, free)

Manchester City: Fernandinho (Shakhtar Donetsk, £30m), Jesus Navas (Sevilla, £15m)

Manchester United: Guillermo Varela (Penarol, undisclosed)

Newcastle United: None

Norwich City: Javier Garrido (Lazio, undisclosed), Ricky van Wolfswinkel (Sporting, undisclosed), Nathan Redmond (Birmingham, £3.2m), Martin Olsson (Blackburn, undisclosed), Carlo Nash (Stoke, free)

Southampton: Dejan Lovren (Lyon, £8.5m), Victor Wanyama (Celtic, $12.5m)

Stoke City: Jermaine Pennant (free), Erik Pieters (PSV Eindhoven, £3m), Marc Muniesa (Barcelona, free)

Sunderland: Cabral (Basel, free), Modibo Diakite (Lazio, free), Valentin Roberge (Maritimo, free), David Moberg Karlsson (IFK Gothenburg, undisclosed), Vito Mannone (Arsenal, £2m), Jozy Altidore (AZ Alkmaar, undisclosed), El Hadji Ba (Le Havre, free)

Swansea City: Jose Canas (Real Betis, free), Jonathan de Guzman (Villarreal, loan), Jordi Amat (Espanyol, £2.5m), Jonjo Shelvey (Liverpool, £6m), Alejandro Pozuelo (Real Betis, undisclosed), Wilfried Bony (Vitesse Arnhem, £12m)

Tottenham Hotspur: Paulinho (Corinthians, £17m)

West Bromwich Albion: Nicolas Anelka (Shanghai Shenhua, free), Goran Popov (Dynamo Kiev, loan)

West Ham United: Razvan Rat (Shakhtar Donetsk, free), Adrian (Real Betis, free), Andy Carroll (Liverpool, £16m), Danny Whitehead (Stockport, undisclosed)

if the funds are there toondanno why has no transfers taken place ????…surely motions should have already been in place from the last transfer window !!!

• 226 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 12, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Ruddy

To get consistency it will take several years of growth (in terms of finances, the squad, the coaching, the fitness and the youth). We should have been well on the way to that stage but relegation has set us back several years. Just have a look at the last 10 years for Spurs and Everton. Look at their signings and league performances. It shows a good model to follow.

The reason that I don’t agree with you on MA is twofold:
    1 – the club gets a lot of money from the final league placement. MA has shown willing to offer huge bonuses for a higher league finish.
    2 – an established PL club is worth a certain amount, an established top 10 PL club is worth more, an established top 6 PL club is worth even more. With clever planning, MA can guide the club into the top 6 regularly and make oodles of cash.

I don’t begrudge players like Cabaye, Sissoko and MYM from joining us when I know they want to use us as a stepping stone to joining a really big CL club as long as they perform while they play for us because they way they’ll achieve their goal is to perform. And I don’t begrudge MA from wanting to make money from the club because I believe the best way he has of doing that is to make the club successful and regularly in Europe.

• 227 Uncertain Toon // Jul 12, 2013 at 9:16 PM

Ruddy,

Aye, it’s an odd one, you’d think they would have no qualms about keeping a facility like that in top condition as it’s something tangible and probably has a variety of uses outwith the club itself.
    Sort of wondering if it harks back to Keegan when he ditched the reserve squad. Did that also have a knock on effect the other way.
    I am certain(for once) that it is certainly strange!
    Player development wise i think the system works up until ‘the should we sent them out on loan/will they break straight into the 1st team point’.
    I know these are very difficult decisions cos they are so individual and they might need more staff to keep to minimum exactly how many youngins a coach handles.
    However i do think they the majority have to go out on loan a lot sharper i.e 17/18 yrs old possibly even younger mate. The youngins need the stepping stones, a proper structure in place to develop.
    I remember a rumour that Beardsey told Mashley the older youngins(if that makes any sense at all!) would be able to step up when required last season and that,amongst other bad data, contributed to Ashleys decision not to invest a sizeable amount on new players.
    Whatever occurred is by the by now but the set up down there needs a feckin gud audit!!!

• 228 Toon_Tom // Jul 12, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Jazzy – just think of it as we let all the rest spend their budget early on, sit back and let them go to auction with one another – and then pounce using our DOF with his notorious wisdom and acquire some phenomenal talent!!!

Honestly – think of it this way, we aren’t skint and Pards has proclaimed that he is looking at players so we will get 4-6 in I’m sure.

Some of you go on as if there are only 12hrs left of this window.

• 229 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 12, 2013 at 9:19 PM

TDS

Well I think we’ve had quite a constructive conversation tonight, much more constructive than our previous conversations anyway haha

We’ll only really see if we do progress in the way you envision or whether we are destined to sit mid table. Only time will tell.

Personally, I’ve seen enough from MA to suggest he lacks ambition, whereas you’re prepared to give him another crack of the whip. Simply a difference of opinion.

I’m off chaps! See you round the bend!

• 230 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 12, 2013 at 9:19 PM

Ian Toon

You are either an idiot or a troll. Your justification for Benteke’s value going up from £25M is based on Modric? Yet the likes of Carroll, Veron, Marlet, Jeffers and Rebrov all escape you? There’s no guarantee that he’ll be valued higher in the future and he could easily be valued a lot less.

I’m not speculating what we would do if we sold Cabaye because I don’t want him to leave, and I certainly can’t think why Benteke would enter into that equation if he did leave!

Now my work is done…please troll someone else…

• 231 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 12, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Ruddy

Yep. It’s been a pleasure!

I’m off too anyway, spent enough time staring at this computer today.

If we sign a top striker, another attacking player and 2/3 decent youngsters, then hopefully you’ll be able to enjoy a season that I genuinely expect us to get 7th or 8th and hopefully have a tilt at higher and a run in at least one of the cups.

Then we’ll see…

Night fella.

• 232 toonicle // Jul 12, 2013 at 9:22 PM

Petchey- That’s not fair, we signed that world beating teenager!

• 233 jazzyp // Jul 12, 2013 at 9:24 PM

toontom
    I hope your right mate.i would have thought that if alderweireld was available for 8 million euros, surely this would be a target of interest.
    a double deal with de jong maybe !!

• 234 Toon_Tom // Jul 12, 2013 at 9:28 PM

Some people on here who are apparently ITK still state that there is a strong chance that S DeJong will sign. That would be phenomenal IMO but I’m not swayed just yet.

I think that due to the fact that we have signed so many too players recently for so so cheap that Mashley will now only go for bargains with potential as an investment to him as apposed to the club – that’s my worry but could be proved wrong!

• 235 Toon_Tom // Jul 12, 2013 at 9:29 PM

^top players

• 236 jazzyp // Jul 12, 2013 at 9:31 PM

if that’s the case then we are destined to be no more than a top 10 side-if were lucky

• 237 stuart no9 // Jul 12, 2013 at 9:36 PM

ive just sussed out what is happening at our club .
    Having thought about it long and hard, i have finally worked out the reasoning behind our pathetic situation. Ashley is selling NUFC.
    Ashley has a buyer for the club, however , the new owner has made it perfectly clear he is not prepared to buy untill the manager has gone , leaving the way clear for him to sign a new mansger of his choice without the the threat of compensation hanging over his head . Enter JFK. . His role is simply to sicken AP untill he reluctantly resigns ,ashley sells. we get a new owner. he gets a new manager, everybody is happy ( except AP) hence the reason ashley dosnt want to splash the cash .

• 238 Toon_Tom // Jul 12, 2013 at 9:38 PM

There isn’t much difference in the PL now between a so called top10 side and a top6.

All I ask, and pay for, is commitment, guts and 100% each week. I strive to be entertained again. And the squad we have now has so much potential which needs to be managed properly and played to their true potential, in the right position and we could have a good thing going on.

Ben Arfa, Sissoko, Cabaye, Cisse, Santon, Tiote, Krul, Colo all world class. Imagine if we had Mourinho in charge to bring out the best of our current squad

• 239 Ian Toon // Jul 12, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Clowns to the right of you clowns to……..
    from your reading list.

• 240 Joe Blog // Jul 12, 2013 at 9:44 PM

AP? ??????

• 241 toon kk // Jul 12, 2013 at 9:48 PM

I only hope we don’t mess around like last summer’s transfer window and end up standing still.

• 242 SeanNufc87 // Jul 12, 2013 at 10:13 PM

im going to be an itk for a while, i hope you guys dont mind.

the way i see it is its either you know or your an educated guesser so for now ill be the latter, but if im right then ill announce im in the former category. so here it goes.

Darren Bent or Loic Remy will sign for Newcastle between tomorrow 7AM and monday 8PM

i cant specify a time or day as things need ironing out and my crystal ball is foggy.

Mark me gents!

• 243 stuart no9 // Jul 12, 2013 at 10:17 PM

sean @238 —- my crystal ball is quite clear – ash is ready to sell .

• 244 Toon-Prodigy // Jul 12, 2013 at 10:24 PM

Anyone know when Joe Kinnear gets back off his well timed holiday?

• 245 Toon_Tom // Jul 12, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Prodigy – Sunday apparently

• 246 sparky55 // Jul 12, 2013 at 10:31 PM

no-one can be signed before the baffoon gets back off holiday otherwise it would immediately undermine his position.

• 247 Toon-Prodigy // Jul 12, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Tom,

What is the chances of us bidding for a player on Monday then, so long as Joe is not suffering from jet-lag of course?

Is it worth getting excited about haha

• 248 MacToon // Jul 12, 2013 at 10:34 PM

Ha ha, did I really see someone repost their post on the same thread ha ha. How important is it to you to be heard, YOU’RE ‘avin a laugh mensa member.

• 249 Black and White with an army lol // Jul 12, 2013 at 10:36 PM

so all teams have got players while we are getting no 1, ah well at least the championship tickets are cheaper lol :)

• 250 Toon_Tom // Jul 12, 2013 at 10:38 PM

Next week will see some signings for definite

• 251 sparky55 // Jul 12, 2013 at 10:40 PM

not until pardew is sacked…no point buying players the new manager doesn’t want

Not ITK…just wishful thinking! :-)

• 252 Ian Toon // Jul 12, 2013 at 10:41 PM

Macaroon- MacToon – you called.
    When you’ve got it flaunt it! Mind I guess you would not
    know.

• 253 Toon-Prodigy // Jul 12, 2013 at 10:43 PM

• 254 MacToon // Jul 12, 2013 at 10:43 PM

Must admit, even I’m surprised we haven’t signed any first teamers yet.
    Can’t help but think about JFK’s notorious rant on radio where he went into great detail about how good he has been at selling players in the past. Maybe that is more his job, to sell and generate some funds and free up wages for our new recruits. Oh, and have a holiday or two at our expense ofcourse, he obviously has to take it easy nowadays.

• 255 I am a geordie // Jul 12, 2013 at 10:43 PM

Any news on remy etc folks

• 256 geordie157 // Jul 12, 2013 at 10:43 PM

Norwich, Swansea and Southampton are showing some ambition in the transfer window.

Based on signings so far, i’d say the promoted trio plus Stoke and Sunderland will struggle.

I think Southampton actually have a better midfield than us.

• 257 MacToon // Jul 12, 2013 at 10:44 PM

oooo the mensa mind bites back!

• 258 jimmysmith // Jul 12, 2013 at 10:49 PM

he surely hasn’t been on holiday all this time, at such a crucial period and so soon after being hired. He’s been away working on deals, otherwise it’s another Ashley master stroke too further sap our resolve. Next he”ll sprinkling Prozac on the halftime pies, not his own personal stash of course.

• 259 Toon-Prodigy // Jul 12, 2013 at 10:49 PM

Who is in Mensa?

• 260 Ian Toon // Jul 12, 2013 at 10:54 PM

Coming from a big girls blouse.
    If you remember the last time you insulted
    a fellow Geordie it ended in tears- yours.
    Apologise and I won’t seek you out at the
    next meeting.

• 261 jimmysmith // Jul 12, 2013 at 10:54 PM

I was going to say don’t like to blow my own horn, but …………

• 262 Ian Toon // Jul 12, 2013 at 10:55 PM

Jimmy – it’s a working holiday.

• 263 MacToon // Jul 12, 2013 at 11:13 PM

If that post was aimed at me IT, I honestly have no idea what you are talking about or insinuating.
    You are no more than a slightly amusing but more often dull character on a football blog. No more, no less.

previous post: Three Top Flight Clubs Now After Steve Harper