Newcastle Target Turns Down Cardiff – Magpies Moving In?

News today that potential Newcastle target Tom Ince has declined the chance to join newly promoted Premier League club Cardiff City.

tom ince balckpool 99

Tom Ince – turns down Cardiff City

Sky Sports are reporting the 21 year-old asked for some time to consider the move, after Cardiff had a rather high bid of £8M accepted by Blackpool, but the England U21 midfielder has decided to stay put at Bloomfield Road.

On the Cardiff City web-site today, this is what the Welsh club have posted:

“We can confirm that Blackpool midfielder Thomas Ince will not be joining the club.” “Having agreed a fee with Blackpool FC towards the end of June and with the player and agent happy with personal terms offered.”

“The Blackpool manager and Thomas’ father Paul confirmed on Friday that, due to the recent birth of Thomas’ first child this week, the player didn’t want to leave his family or the Seasiders at this stage of his life.”

It’s going to be interesting if another club comes for the player, because Tom seems to have put himself into a bit of a corner.

What happens if a top club like Newcastle United for instance now agrees a fee with Blackpool for the player, would Tom turn down a move to Newcastle?

We don’t think so.

But of course he could always say Newcastle is a lot closer to Blackpool than Cardiff – and it is – it’s about 233 miles to Cardiff from Blackpool) and a short (very short) 150 miles to Newcastle.

map newcastle 99 map newcastle

OK so that’s what he says – and thanks to reader Ben Broad for that excellent reasoning –  for how Tom can still join Newcastle. 😀

But we don’t think Newcastle will pay the £8M transfer asked by Blackpool (have you heard that one before?), and the Seasiders may have to accept a smaller fee for the winger, although he may get better wages at Newcastle.

But of course that’s if Newcastle are really interested, although early last week Sky Sports reporter David Craig said that he thought Ince would end up at Newcastle, but we don’t know if that was based on some inside information he had – maybe not.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• ToonDarnSarf

Jul 12, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Errr….yes, he would.

Because:
    1 – he’s just stated that he wants to be close to his newborn child in Blackpool (we’re about the same distance away as Cardiff are)
    2 – it’s been made pretty clear that he’ll only move for regular first team football. I don’t see how he could be a guaranteed starter ahead of Ben Arfa and Goofy.

• toon kk

Jul 12, 2013 at 5:00 PM

We wouldn’t offer 4mil for him never mind 8mil

• Big Pappa Cissé

Jul 12, 2013 at 5:01 PM

Would rather have Sinclair. Premier League proven and would probably cost less, no brainer IMO

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Jul 12, 2013 at 5:01 PM

Wrong side of the bed this morning TDS?

• richyg01

Jul 12, 2013 at 5:01 PM

He said he wants to stay in Blackpool to be with his young child.

Blackpool to Cardiff = 330miles
    Blackpool to Newcastle = 150miles

So I guess he would be closer if he came here, but cant see it.

• Sazzer

Jul 12, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Sounds like a bullshit excuse.

• Bearsize

Jul 12, 2013 at 5:03 PM

Its a non starter it would mean we had to sign someone! Next!!!!

• Sazzer

Jul 12, 2013 at 5:06 PM

ToonDarnSarf
    If he score 18 goals and 12 assist like last season or half of that then we would be regular starter for us.

• Spotlight Kid

Jul 12, 2013 at 5:06 PM

‘….would he turn down a move to Newcastle?’

After all playing under K & P dream team is what everyone ambitious footballer dreams of……

PS: Richyg01 – you need to get your geography and/or satnav fixed!! 330 miles would get you to the toon from Cardiff!!.

• ToonDarnSarf

Jul 12, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Sorry Ruddy…must be in an argumentative mood!

• kevymartins

Jul 12, 2013 at 5:08 PM

I just saw MA standing in kfc signing ” I don’t know what you herd about me but if you can’t get a dollar outa me then im a mo fo pimp, when your rolling with me your rolling with me your rolling with the p.i.m.p, kinnear and pards at each shoulder 😉 🙂

• ToonDarnSarf

Jul 12, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Check it out on your sat nav or Google Maps. It’s about two and a half miles from Blackpool to Cardiff or Newcastle.

• moonraker

Jul 12, 2013 at 5:08 PM

He aint turning down Cardiff because of the baby that’s for sure; he’s waiting for a bigger club. I think he would come to Newcastle but he’s too expensive at 8 million imo.

• ToonDarnSarf

Jul 12, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Or hours even…

• DokToon

Jul 12, 2013 at 5:09 PM

pards… “we couldnt get him over the line… was too far for the feedings, diaper changes… etc…”

• Sazzer

Jul 12, 2013 at 5:10 PM

Anita came with a newborn left in Holland.

• ToonDarnSarf

Jul 12, 2013 at 5:11 PM

Sazzer

But that’s in the championship mate. Liverpool let him go because they didn’t see PL potential in him. So £8M is a lot of money for a player that Liverpool released just 2 years ago.

I also think he ends up looking like a prize idiot (admittedly not new for a footballer) if he uses the excuse of his newborn child to not move to Cardiff and then ends up at Newcastle. Fair enough if he goes to Everton or back to Liverpool, but we’re just as far away as Cardiff.

• ToonMatt

Jul 12, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Good player and I would love him to join us but we just can’t compete with teams like Cardiff, Swansea, Southampton etc

• toon kk

Jul 12, 2013 at 5:16 PM

He obviously has his heart set on a bigger club than Cardiff, I reckon his family is just an excuse.

• ToonDarnSarf

Jul 12, 2013 at 5:18 PM

Sazzer

Everyone’s different mate. I wouldn’t begrudge someone putting family before a transfer, it would make a refreshing change.

Besides, he’s 21 and he’s with a good club getting regular football in a competitive league. There’s no hurry for him to leave. Sure, I’d like to see someone like him at Newcastle but I’ll not be too disappointed if he doesn’t come.

• blew

Jul 12, 2013 at 5:21 PM

No established Premier League Club has been in for him
    which speaks in volumes, but no doubt most will have looked very closely at him. He isn’t good enough.
    Similar thing with Sinclair, having played for 9 league clubs and still only 24 years, again it speaks in volumes about his ability – or the lack of it. He will be a liability at the Toon, as he is with Man. City, Swansea snapped their hands off when a bid was put in. A simple conclusion – Englishmen are not as good as foreigners, however, Broken Brain(our manager) wants Englishmen. The good ones are fixed up and not for sale, if they were MA would not pay the price.

• Ian Toon

Jul 12, 2013 at 5:24 PM

– TDS On Benteke– Is it completely obvious that he’s ….got to big for his boots!
    What a daft comment. From my assessment he seems perfectly well equipped to meet the challenges of playing in The Champions League. Why shouldn’t he be ambitious when he’s clearly talented. A view formed from watching him – he would be perfect for us. He will appreciate in value to meet the Ashley test whilst helping the toon to be playing CL football within a couple of seasons.
    There are some players worth pushing the boat out for and his age and price should make him a target.

• Sazzer

Jul 12, 2013 at 5:30 PM

True, Milan let go of PEA and Dortmund now bought him.

Maybe, he need more time than Liverpool felt they had. Also Liverpool as a club didn’t make the best choices two years ago.

Anyway, I don’t think we get him if Sinclair is half the price.

• Sazzer

Jul 12, 2013 at 5:36 PM

ToonDarnSarf
    Yeah he might wait until right offer comes along like PEA. Also to remember is that a move to Cardiff wouldn’t most likely be a long-term solution for him. Which means that they would have to move soon again.

• Ian Toon

Jul 12, 2013 at 5:39 PM

TDS- Have you been on the sherbet! Another daft comment on Tom Ince being released by Liverpool and so we to just right off any possibility of him becoming a success?
    David Platt was released at 21/22 by Man Utd. Some footballers are late developers. Ince would be perfect to feature on the left side/ wing man. He is a developing goalscoring and provider of crosses. Just what we need.
    I am file you away in the ” doesn’t know much about football ” column.

• sparky55

Jul 12, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Unfortunately Pardew has given the press more ammunition that newcastle football club is being ran by a pair of rambling idiots.

Take a look at this….It’s frightening and of course nothing was his fault!

“What we have to find is a defined way of playing.
    “Sometimes that can go astray when confidence is low.
    “It is going to be about our game-plan of how are we going to score and affect the match.
    “That is something I will be working hard on in pre- season. We need the right personnel in the right areas to do that.
    “I have never been accused of setting up boring teams.
    “Not ever – until last year.
    “All my teams have always played on the front foot and are trying to win the game.
    “I have always set my teams up like that.
    “But we got into situations last year where in some of the games we were hanging on.
    “That was through, I think, a lack of conditioning at times because of the games we were playing.
    “Teams have a different mentality when things just aren’t going well.
    “I am sure on occasion my tactics were wrong.
    “I am not going to be egotistic enough to think that every time I put out a team and I set it up that it’s going to be perfect.
    “But having said that, some of the criticism we had last year, particularly myself, I felt was unfair.
    “If I was that tactically naive, how did we finish fifth the year before? Sometimes it is about confidence in players.
    Confidence can affect whether they make those forward runs and make something happen.
    “That comes from results and belief.
    “So sometimes when players aren’t at their attacking best it’s because they are lacking confidence.
    “Maybe something is inhibiting them.
    “You have to understand that sometimes that confidence can get lost.
    “Sometimes it can be me or sometimes it can be the feeling within the player.
    “It is difficult question to answer, but I hope that I have answered it the best way I can.”

• Ketsbaia9

Jul 12, 2013 at 6:02 PM

Don’t rate him. He was released by Liverpool and we shouldn’t be going for British players just for the sake of it. The only english players I’d sign would be Mcmanaman and Theo Walcott.

• Mister Tuff

Jul 12, 2013 at 6:11 PM

sparky – I’ve got to agree with your comments.
    When Looney Joe was at full throttle with his interviews I was wondering about a comment from the club – to ease tensions – like others I was wondering -where is Percy. Mysteriously Percy was missing in action -obviously trying to give Looney Joe more room to hang himself. It apparently has never been known in the history of modern football for Percy to be incommunicado for, I think, 23 days. Clearly an entry for the Guinness Book of records.
    Now that Percy is back at his desk -he is back to form -straight into drivel spouting mode -coming out with gobbledygook that no-one knows what he is talking about. He is a tool of a manager.

• FatmanJoe

Jul 12, 2013 at 6:12 PM

He would make our squad stronger but I think it’s unlikely he’ll want to come to us to sit on the bench.

I still prefer the idea of Sinclair.

• MacToon

Jul 12, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Jeez, getting a bit “war and peace” on here at times and I don’t mean the arguements!

I see our latest ITK has failed to predict the future:

ToonDanno // Jul 4, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Remy will be signed by this time next week

————————-

but did notice he changed Thursday to Friday after that post!! Still wrong though?

• IITianToon

Jul 12, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Well at least Pardew knows that the fans are not blind. He knows his formations, personnel and tactics are being keenly looked at by fans.

• Bearsize

Jul 12, 2013 at 6:15 PM

I love how walcott decided to play well when he was after his contract ( hat trick against us ) then once signed he went back to his inconsistent best. I hate how players do that! Shola’s been doing it for years and is poo!

• Big Pappa Cissé

Jul 12, 2013 at 6:21 PM

I wonder if Pardew’s sudden backtracking on his tactics includes corners. We must be close to 500 now without scoring. Reminds me of a quote actually:

“Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.” – Albert Einstein

Aiming for the big man at the back stick it is then 🙂

• toon kk

Jul 12, 2013 at 6:23 PM

I see s..land are about to make their ninth signing. They must have noticed they needed strengthening I wonder when MA will.

• Bearsize

Jul 12, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Lol i think he should put him on the near stick as all our dreadful corners end up there!

• FatmanJoe

Jul 12, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Rita Mae Brown said that about insanity before Einstein. But yes, you’re right. That could definitely be attributed to the general running and management of our club at the moment.

• tom68

Jul 12, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Spot on Sparky. The man makes me so bloody angry

• bollance

Jul 12, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Would anyone sell HBA for £15-20m and buy both Sinclair and Ince providing they want to come for a combined £13-15m.

Last season we had a problem scoring. Sinclair and Ince will score goals. But Pards has not usually played two out and out wingers. Plus how many assists did guti and HBA get last season? Not many.

If those two came in then realistically we could also get rid of obertan and Guti for £3-5m or is that being optimistic?

• bollance

Jul 12, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Or a midfield quartet of,

HBA Cabaye Tiote Sissoko