The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Pardew – I Will Fight – I Will Not Buckle Under Pressure

8:51 am, Friday, July 12th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 44 Comments

Whatever you think of Alan Pardew’s coaching abilities, you’ve got to agree that Alan Pardew was put under tremendous mental pressure last season, and he stood up to it amazingly well.

alan pardew smiling - press conference

Alan Pardew wasn’t smiling lie this much last season

There were quite a few times last season that Newcastle had embarrassing results like the 7-3 loss at Arsenal, the 2-0 loss at Brighton in the FA Cup, and three very bad defeats at home – the 2-1 loss to Reading, the 3-0 loss to Sunderland and the 6-0 loss to Liverpool.

I suddenly feel very sick :D

It’s stressful being the Newcastle manager at the best of times, so things in the last five months of the season became extremely stressful for the manager (and the fans), because of our very poor results.

This is what Alan said in the local press today about his time at Newcastle:

“My first half-season we had a side that was quite functional,” “The fans couldn’t read too much into what I was about because I’d only had that half of a season.”

“The second year went swimmingly well. But I think I proved last year to the fans, like I did to West Ham fans, that I don’t buckle under pressure. I don’t give in, I will fight and I will keep fighting for these players I have brought here or I have re-signed.”

“I can only think of two or three players I have not given contracts to here. I want to do the best for them, protect them and give them the best platform.”

“I will definitely try to improve certain issues this year.”

Pardew is only too well aware that he must do an awful lot better than we did last season, otherwise his job is in danger.

And we may be in the minority, but we think the manager deserves a chance, after doing so brilliantly in the previous season, and picking up the Premier League Manager of the Year and LMA Manger of the Year awards, after getting Newcastle up to 5th place.

That was the first time any Newcastle manager has won either of those awards,

It would have just been like Newcastle of old,  if Alan Pardew had been fired a year after winning those two awards – but it didn’t happen.

And we hope he can pick up those two awards again next May – because that will mean we’ve had another great season.

That’s what we are hoping for.

Hope springs eternal.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Coaching · Newcastle News · Premier League

44 responses so far ↓

• 1 jimmysmith // Jul 12, 2013 at 8:55 AM

I will fight, I will not buckle under the pressure and Mike will have to sack me to get rid of me………..cos the dumbass gave me an 8 year contract…….or words to that effect.

• 2 TorqToon // Jul 12, 2013 at 8:59 AM

So it seems we have added to our training ground staff!! About bloody time!! :-)

• 3 AndyNUFC // Jul 12, 2013 at 8:59 AM

The way I see it, give him best out of 3. If we got 5th 2 years out of every 3, then had a bad season (injuries/lack of transfers hindering progress again) – I could accept that. We’re not a club designed or set up to be a top 6 contender, but if Pardew can do it with the tools he had only 2 seasons ago (and since then only Ba has left) then he definitely should be allowed to prove his level this coming season.

• 4 AndyNUFC // Jul 12, 2013 at 9:00 AM

Enlighten us, Torq?

• 5 TorqToon // Jul 12, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Andy – it seems we ARE adding a more modern flair to our coaching staff. I don’t know whether its permanent appointments, or simply a temporary basis (as is the most common way in Europe?!)

But I hope this shows our desire to change tactic and alter our mundane style of play from last season.

• 6 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 12, 2013 at 9:06 AM

Torq,
    Where is that snippet from?

• 7 Beattie25 // Jul 12, 2013 at 9:06 AM

Is Pardew actualy on smack?

Wait until you see his latest comments on Sissoko.

The absolute bell end. We are cursed and this knob is the biggest pile of crap in the PL.

God I hate him.

Good morning everyone.

• 8 Joe Blog // Jul 12, 2013 at 9:07 AM

Please, fight with finesse, not just ordering the players to run more, be more aggressive etc, that’ll come if they’re enjoying the tactics deployed and the style instructed.

• 9 Jamseyd24 // Jul 12, 2013 at 9:08 AM

Torq, hope your well? Have you any idea who we are adding to the coaching staff and in what areas?? Do you know when JK is back to his desk??

• 10 Indian Magpie // Jul 12, 2013 at 9:08 AM

Sander ?@flyingdutchfan 2m
    Ajax have reached an agreement with Norwich City about Toby Alderweireld, according to De Telegraaf. Fee: €8m.

BREAKS MY HEART

• 11 Beattie25 // Jul 12, 2013 at 9:10 AM

Indian

My thoughts return to all the people on here that declared “we won’t get Alderweireld because bigger clubs want him’.

The same was said about a lot of players signed by smaller clubs throughout Europe this summer.

• 12 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 12, 2013 at 9:14 AM

Beattie,
    I’m not sure I have seen anyone say we won’t get him cause bigger clubs want him. The bloke came out and said he wouldn’t play for Newcastle, here is a quote from him.

Alderweireld gave the green light to a move to Anfield, telling Belgium paper Het Nieuws Laatste: “I do not want to play in an English club to mid-table. Unlike Newcastle, Liverpool meets my criteria.”

• 13 Indian Magpie // Jul 12, 2013 at 9:14 AM

beattie

exactly man

french french french!

• 14 Ben3arfa // Jul 12, 2013 at 9:16 AM

If Norwich due sign Toby A. we are officially a joke

Joke Innear

• 15 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 12, 2013 at 9:18 AM

However, if he has lowered his ambitions to Norwich, at 8million euros he would be a superb acquisition.

• 16 TorqToon // Jul 12, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Lilo – Just a colleague of mine working in Europe mentioned he had heard this. Same person who stated the initial info I passed on here…before I “appointed” JFK all on my own.
    :-)

I don’t know names or anything else at this stage I’m afraid.

• 17 TorqToon // Jul 12, 2013 at 9:20 AM

Beattie – didn’t he say that he would “never sign for a club Newcastle!” ??

• 18 hadthetshirt // Jul 12, 2013 at 9:20 AM

Looks like Graham Carr’s making some back handers at norwich :(

• 19 chuck // Jul 12, 2013 at 9:21 AM

What a jerk !
    The sad part is I think he really believes his own bullshit.
    Please just fcuk off Al, don’t you understand you have been found out and your services are no longer required.
    What on earth was Ashley-that great footballi genius- thinking , giving him and his looser coaching staff an eight year deal.
    FFS even Morinho couldn’t get a deal like that.
    But that’s what we are stuck with, a manager who knows little about the modern game and an owner who knows nothing about football, but still wants to control every facet of what goes on, ah well won’t last forever, I hope.

• 20 Jamiemac // Jul 12, 2013 at 9:23 AM

kets will be mad

• 21 lesh // Jul 12, 2013 at 9:23 AM

Torq @2 & 5, here’s a repost from the thread before last and it may shed some light on the new presence on the training ground. Then again, it may not!

Ian Toon @143.

New knowledge as Pardew described it, might just refer to that brought back by a couple of younger coaches who visited and talked to big-name European coaches as part of their EUFA elite coaching courses?

If I remember, that was reported in the Evening Chronicle a couple of weeks ago. I may be wrong but…..

• 22 pawl250 // Jul 12, 2013 at 9:24 AM

Alderwield? Good player, unproven though.

Where would he fit in our squad?

Debuchy – Mbiwa – Coloccini – Santon

If we start asking players like him to sit on the bench why would he come to us?

People need to again, calm down! The reason Norwich are after him is because we and many other clubs are not!

Norwich seem to be getting players we have been linked with in the past, not surprising some clubs would do that.

We should be looking for strikers, not Alderwield who would only add bodies not compete for first team places unless injuries occur. Thats my opinion.

• 23 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 12, 2013 at 9:25 AM

Torq,
    Fair enough. Pardew hinted at something in his interviews the other week, but didn’t mention specifics. It will be interesting to see what develops, and what benefits we actually derive from it. Will Pardew be a big enough man to learn, will JK for that matter? Is it possible to teach Stone to actually coach, rather than just set up the cones?

I am still baffled as to why our 3 most qualified coaches, handpicked to go on the elite coaching course with 14 others from selected from UEFA A license courses are dealing with Foundation, U16, and 1 is now in education rather than coaching having moved sideways from being a coach with the U15′s.

• 24 hadthetshirt // Jul 12, 2013 at 9:25 AM

Pardew is starting to sound like Churchill,sadly it’s the noddy bloody dog one awwww yes mike

• 25 Rotonda heights // Jul 12, 2013 at 9:25 AM

Bils son,

You criticised Carr for bringing in Anita and saying Carr’s targets were too lightweight.

However a couple of years back Carr had earmarked Wanyama when he was available for 900K and Leroy Fer when he was only 3M.

Hardly Carr’s fault if his recommendations aren’t acknowledged.

• 26 TorqToon // Jul 12, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Lesh – Quite possibly. And if that’s what we have done its a huge step in the right direction.

Maybe some younger coaches who have been on the UEFA elite course, have forged Good bonds, and gained ‘mentors’ with top European tacticians?!

• 27 Beattie25 // Jul 12, 2013 at 9:27 AM

When we were talking about Toby signing like 18 months ago there were more than a few that said we wouldn’t sign him becuase bigger clubs were interested.

He might have said that about us but I refuse to accept that he might go to Norwich due to him lowering his expectations.

Some players are actually impressed by a little ambition and will go for the challenge of trying to achieve something at a club trying to progress.

I doubt he would’ve signed had Norwich not already broke the bank to sign Van Wolfswinkel but they are looking like they want to improve year on year.

We are the worst team in the PL. Not in terms of talent but in terms of ambition.

• 28 Rotonda heights // Jul 12, 2013 at 9:28 AM

Lilo

Pardew was quoted as saying he did not need to bring in a technical adviser as he already ” had a magnificent coaching staff”

• 29 Beattie25 // Jul 12, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Pawl

Should we not be lookin to improve the squad year on year?

Willo or Saylor out Alderweireld in would’ve been a massive improvement.

• 30 Rotonda heights // Jul 12, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Chuck

absolutely agree 100% but I’ll let you wear the flak cap today!

• 31 Jail for Ashley // Jul 12, 2013 at 9:30 AM

I wonder what the real reason Hoots was sacked for.

• 32 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 12, 2013 at 9:31 AM

Lesh,
    Yeah, I mentioned that as being a possibility on that thread in response to Ian. Although those coaches work with the Foundation, U16′s, and one used to work with the U15′s, but now works on the education side.

Rotonda,
    In his first interview back he said that they had some new ideas and knowledge, but didn’t say what knowledge, or where from.

• 33 TorqToon // Jul 12, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Rotonda – I’m not sure he would EVER admit that his his staff’s coaching skills are way below par.

Which is why I suspect we have brought in / are bringing in a temporary appointed tactical advisor.

• 34 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 12, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Beattie,
    I’d say not wanting to play for mid table side and then joining what is at best, a mid table side is lowering ambitions.

We will see how Van Wolfswinkel does, I’m not sure he will be a huge success. I hope he is, for Hughton’s sake, but I wouldn’t have been dancing in the streets if he had signed for us. Granted, better then no one though.

• 35 pawl250 // Jul 12, 2013 at 9:35 AM

Rotanda

Do you know G Carr personally recommended those players? Or the fact it was a few snippets on here and other places saying so….

Hell I could have told you they were upcoming players…… not rocket science. Bottom line they are levels, and just because they played well in lesser leagues do not mean they can do it in the PL. That goes for most leagues around the world.

Afonso Alves is the prime example dutch league 39 games 45 goals in the Eredivisie, yet couldnt hit a barn door in the PL when bought for 20 million Euros by Boro.

Now tell me that players like Bas Dost, Luuk De Jong (31 apps 8 goals in German league) are good enough? Even Bony? How can you be so sure?!

Ask yourself if they are so “amazing” why bigger teams are not in for them?

I said a couple weeks ago I would go for Ba, who is reported to be interesting Villa for £7m in newspaper today. If that is true, do it!

Ba, Remy, Siem De Jong all for 20m would make our striking options near unlimited.

Before people say Ba/Cisse did not play well, simple do NOT play them together, rotate, or go on form.

My dream line up start of season and its purely a dream….

————— Sissoko — Cabaye —————–
    Ben Arfa ——– De Jong ————– Remy
    ——————- Cisse or Ba ———————-

It would push the other to do well. Its a brilliant attacking line!

• 36 Jail for Ashley // Jul 12, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Pawl,
    At what date will you stop telling people to calm down you sound like and remind me of Mr Humphries in are you being served.

• 37 Rotonda heights // Jul 12, 2013 at 9:37 AM

”But I think I proved last year to the fans, like I did to West Ham fans, that I don’t buckle under pressure. I don’t give in, I will fight and I will keep fighting for these players I have brought here or I have re-signed.”

So Alan that wasn’t you running down the tunnel after the Liverpool and Arsenal games then!!!

Oh sod it I don’t care what the likes of Ian Toon say any more. Cue the abuse. Yes I even bore myself about Pardew but when he keeps coming out with the most
    in denial comments it’s too stomach turning to ignore.

• 38 pawl250 // Jul 12, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Beattie -

So you are telling me we should sign quality players to replace average players, make us thin at the back by selling 2 homegrown players aswell as 2 central defenders and bring one in.

THEN expect Colo, Mbiwa or Alderwield to sit on the bench?

Look Man City can do it because they paid likes of Johnson etc. 100k+ or not far from it.

We will only cause issues by doing it!

Cannot see how people expect really good potential players, to sit on our bench for our needs. When they could play first team football week in week out on a World Cup year for their own!

Sorry but totally disagree, the real world is different to FM, you cannot have a 25 player team full of quality. It just doesnt happen unless you have incentive for those players playing 2nd and 3rd fiddle.

Marveaux for example does not want to play 2nd fiddle, he has said as much, Simpson said the same and he is arguably average, possibly below.

Bottom line you cannot just bring a decent player in and expect them to sit and hold their own career by being a bench warmer. If we sign a CB it needs to be in the mold of Haidara, someone willing to bide time, young with potential.

Alderwield will expect first team football.

• 39 davis_toons // Jul 12, 2013 at 10:22 AM

“…even Morinho couldn’t get a deal like that.” a good one @19.

Pardew need training staff like Spurs does employ good training staff. To give a different dimension.

• 40 lesh // Jul 12, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Aye Lilongwe Geordie, I did notice your earlier post and they sound like the guys I referred to. I’m sure we all hope that those guys’ experience, new knowledge and enthusiasm hasn’t been put to one side. It’d be such a criminal.waste if that is the case.

Just a thought, I wonder if Pards was referring to El Supremo (Joe) when he was talking about new technical input.

After all, he has done everything and even coached walking on water, turning water into wine etc!!

• 41 doonundertoon // Jul 12, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Pardew has released 3 statements today, and every one have them has left me fearing the worst for the season ahead already, the statements about he will fight and not buckle under the pressure is absolute garbage because he DID buckle under the pressure on several occasions last year, he buckled under the expectation of challenging for europe, an expectation that HE set none the less, he also buckled under the pressure of losing demba ba by playing cisse on the wing instead of not buckling and playing ba in a position that would of benefited the team as a whole, he also buckled when we were doing poorly and decided to rush ben arfa back due to results being bad, and these are just the ones i can pull off the top of my head..

On to the second interview, talking about what position sissoko was gonna be used in, saying that he would either have to play as a number 10 or winger, or cabs or tiote would have to make way, 2 things that alarm me about this is the fact that he has basically said sissoko will be playing out of position this year already, and the fact that if he wanted to play CM he would have to usurp cabs or tiote.. so basically we are either playing 442 or 4231 again this year, the 2 tactics we used last year and failed miserably with.. the same tactics that left us under manned in the center of the park for the entirety of last season, but not to worry, in pardew’s tactics, one winger acts as a makeshift central midfielder, thats probably why he has already said he might be playing sissoko on the wing.. We have a squad tailor made for 433, a beast of a ball winning midfielder in Tiote, an exceptional deep laying play maker in cabaye, and one of the best box to box midfielders in the prem in sissoko, but he insists on playing people out of position, cabaye is not a number 10, he doesnt have the close control or the off the ball movement to ever effectively play in that role, sissoko is not a number 10, he doesnt have the technique or finesse to play in that role, the only players that are remotely close to playing in the role in our squad is ben arfa or marveux, and although i think they would be more effective than both cabs and sissoko, they are still not actual number 10′s, so where does that leave us? how about not playing a formation that requires a #10, its that simple.. tactics should be made around squads not the other way around.. PLAY TO THE STRENGTHS OF YOUR SQUAD FFS!

Which leads me nicely into the third interview where he talked about getting the tactics wrong on occasions.. If by the entire season he means occasions then yeah.. he is probably right, he got it wrong from the second he played cisse out of position at the start of the season, and instead of seeing that it wasn’t working and rectifying it like a normal manager he persisted and persisted, the hallmarks of an arrogant person that cant admit they are wrong, but it wasn’t just that, it was the way he lined the team up every game, im sure whenever an opposition manager seen the team sheet and saw jonas on the left he just told his right back not to worry about defending because jonas is gonna be non existent on the wing, and lets face it, even if he got forward he cant cross so he will be playing for the free kick\corner, and im sure opposition managers were happy to allow that too, seeing as though our corner tactic was as follows, cross the ball to taylor\williamson on the far edge of the 6 yard box, and hope the ball falls to one of our players (*spoiler alert* it never did..) that corner routine is so Sunday league its criminal, and the fact that he persisted with it for the ENTIRE season should of constituted his sacking on its own, but he go’s on in the interview to say that some of the criticism shown towards him is unnecessary.. how does he figure that? Taking bad tactics, some of the worst substitutions Ive ever seen and questionable lineups out of the equation for just a second, he has been responsible for not just the #1 worst run of form of any premier league team in history, he also hold the #2 spot as well.. but the criticism of him is unwarranted? once again that’s just his arrogance talking and in my eyes he doesn’t get enough criticism. Its gonna be a long season people, and the fact its started so badly with lack of investment and the appointment of JFK, its just giving pardew excuses already to cover over his managerial deficiency’s and shift the blame off of him, i hope by some small miracle he proves me wrong (im not holding my breath..) but it broke my heart to see how badly we performed last season, and how badly the injuries and tactics were handled, and make no bones about it, the blame should fall on the manager, and the manager alone for anything that takes place upon the field, simple as that..

• 42 Rotonda heights // Jul 12, 2013 at 10:51 AM

doonundertoon

Are you my twin !!!! Spot on all the way through

pawl

wanyama is going to southampton for 12.5M

Had your really heard of either him or Fer 2/3 years ago?

Everyone is a gamble. you give some examples that have been failures in the eredivisie but then advocate Siem de Jong but there are no guarantees with him either.

• 43 wynsleap // Jul 12, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Doonundertoon – that’s telling it like it is!
    But hey watch out – you’ll be getting Pawl250 telling you to calm down soon.
    As every team’s playing success depends on a strong 3 man spine of central defender, central midfielder and main striker similarly does the team at the top – owner, MD and manager.
    We have Ashley, Kinnear (can hardly bear to type his name) and Pardew. The mind boggles.
    Got a feeling that this next season will see all the runners and riders overtaking us down the back straight.

• 44 toonluvva // Jul 12, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Mr Pardew has admitted to making “tactical mistakes on occasions”.

Those occasions being the months with an “r” in it.

previous post: Papiss Cisse Back Today – Will He Wear Wonga?

next post: This Player So Important – But Where Does He Play?