Pardew – I Will Fight – I Will Not Buckle Under Pressure

Whatever you think of Alan Pardew’s coaching abilities, you’ve got to agree that Alan Pardew was put under tremendous mental pressure last season, and he stood up to it amazingly well.

alan pardew smiling - press conference

Alan Pardew wasn’t smiling lie this much last season

There were quite a few times last season that Newcastle had embarrassing results like the 7-3 loss at Arsenal, the 2-0 loss at Brighton in the FA Cup, and three very bad defeats at home – the 2-1 loss to Reading, the 3-0 loss to Sunderland and the 6-0 loss to Liverpool.

I suddenly feel very sick 😀

It’s stressful being the Newcastle manager at the best of times, so things in the last five months of the season became extremely stressful for the manager (and the fans), because of our very poor results.

This is what Alan said in the local press today about his time at Newcastle:

“My first half-season we had a side that was quite functional,” “The fans couldn’t read too much into what I was about because I’d only had that half of a season.”

“The second year went swimmingly well. But I think I proved last year to the fans, like I did to West Ham fans, that I don’t buckle under pressure. I don’t give in, I will fight and I will keep fighting for these players I have brought here or I have re-signed.”

“I can only think of two or three players I have not given contracts to here. I want to do the best for them, protect them and give them the best platform.”

“I will definitely try to improve certain issues this year.”

Pardew is only too well aware that he must do an awful lot better than we did last season, otherwise his job is in danger.

And we may be in the minority, but we think the manager deserves a chance, after doing so brilliantly in the previous season, and picking up the Premier League Manager of the Year and LMA Manger of the Year awards, after getting Newcastle up to 5th place.

That was the first time any Newcastle manager has won either of those awards,

It would have just been like Newcastle of old,  if Alan Pardew had been fired a year after winning those two awards – but it didn’t happen.

And we hope he can pick up those two awards again next May – because that will mean we’ve had another great season.

That’s what we are hoping for.

Hope springs eternal.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• jimmysmith

Jul 12, 2013 at 8:55 AM

I will fight, I will not buckle under the pressure and Mike will have to sack me to get rid of me………..cos the dumbass gave me an 8 year contract…….or words to that effect.

• TorqToon

Jul 12, 2013 at 8:59 AM

So it seems we have added to our training ground staff!! About bloody time!! 🙂

• AndyNUFC

Jul 12, 2013 at 8:59 AM

The way I see it, give him best out of 3. If we got 5th 2 years out of every 3, then had a bad season (injuries/lack of transfers hindering progress again) – I could accept that. We’re not a club designed or set up to be a top 6 contender, but if Pardew can do it with the tools he had only 2 seasons ago (and since then only Ba has left) then he definitely should be allowed to prove his level this coming season.

• AndyNUFC

Jul 12, 2013 at 9:00 AM

Enlighten us, Torq?

• TorqToon

Jul 12, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Andy – it seems we ARE adding a more modern flair to our coaching staff. I don’t know whether its permanent appointments, or simply a temporary basis (as is the most common way in Europe?!)

But I hope this shows our desire to change tactic and alter our mundane style of play from last season.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jul 12, 2013 at 9:06 AM

Torq,
    Where is that snippet from?

• Beattie25

Jul 12, 2013 at 9:06 AM

Is Pardew actualy on smack?

Wait until you see his latest comments on Sissoko.

The absolute bell end. We are cursed and this knob is the biggest pile of crap in the PL.

God I hate him.

Good morning everyone.

• Joe Blog

Jul 12, 2013 at 9:07 AM

Please, fight with finesse, not just ordering the players to run more, be more aggressive etc, that’ll come if they’re enjoying the tactics deployed and the style instructed.

• Jamseyd24

Jul 12, 2013 at 9:08 AM

Torq, hope your well? Have you any idea who we are adding to the coaching staff and in what areas?? Do you know when JK is back to his desk??

• Indian Magpie

Jul 12, 2013 at 9:08 AM

Sander ?@flyingdutchfan 2m
    Ajax have reached an agreement with Norwich City about Toby Alderweireld, according to De Telegraaf. Fee: €8m.

BREAKS MY HEART

• Beattie25

Jul 12, 2013 at 9:10 AM

Indian

My thoughts return to all the people on here that declared “we won’t get Alderweireld because bigger clubs want him’.

The same was said about a lot of players signed by smaller clubs throughout Europe this summer.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jul 12, 2013 at 9:14 AM

Beattie,
    I’m not sure I have seen anyone say we won’t get him cause bigger clubs want him. The bloke came out and said he wouldn’t play for Newcastle, here is a quote from him.

Alderweireld gave the green light to a move to Anfield, telling Belgium paper Het Nieuws Laatste: “I do not want to play in an English club to mid-table. Unlike Newcastle, Liverpool meets my criteria.”

• Indian Magpie

Jul 12, 2013 at 9:14 AM

beattie

exactly man

french french french!

• Ben3arfa

Jul 12, 2013 at 9:16 AM

If Norwich due sign Toby A. we are officially a joke

Joke Innear

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jul 12, 2013 at 9:18 AM

However, if he has lowered his ambitions to Norwich, at 8million euros he would be a superb acquisition.

• TorqToon

Jul 12, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Lilo – Just a colleague of mine working in Europe mentioned he had heard this. Same person who stated the initial info I passed on here…before I “appointed” JFK all on my own.
    🙂

I don’t know names or anything else at this stage I’m afraid.

• TorqToon

Jul 12, 2013 at 9:20 AM

Beattie – didn’t he say that he would “never sign for a club Newcastle!” ??

• hadthetshirt

Jul 12, 2013 at 9:20 AM

Looks like Graham Carr’s making some back handers at norwich 🙁

• chuck

Jul 12, 2013 at 9:21 AM

What a jerk !
    The sad part is I think he really believes his own bullshit.
    Please just fcuk off Al, don’t you understand you have been found out and your services are no longer required.
    What on earth was Ashley-that great footballi genius- thinking , giving him and his looser coaching staff an eight year deal.
    FFS even Morinho couldn’t get a deal like that.
    But that’s what we are stuck with, a manager who knows little about the modern game and an owner who knows nothing about football, but still wants to control every facet of what goes on, ah well won’t last forever, I hope.

• Jamiemac

Jul 12, 2013 at 9:23 AM

kets will be mad

• lesh

Jul 12, 2013 at 9:23 AM

Torq @2 & 5, here’s a repost from the thread before last and it may shed some light on the new presence on the training ground. Then again, it may not!

Ian Toon @143.

New knowledge as Pardew described it, might just refer to that brought back by a couple of younger coaches who visited and talked to big-name European coaches as part of their EUFA elite coaching courses?

If I remember, that was reported in the Evening Chronicle a couple of weeks ago. I may be wrong but…..

• pawl250

Jul 12, 2013 at 9:24 AM

Alderwield? Good player, unproven though.

Where would he fit in our squad?

Debuchy – Mbiwa – Coloccini – Santon

If we start asking players like him to sit on the bench why would he come to us?

People need to again, calm down! The reason Norwich are after him is because we and many other clubs are not!

Norwich seem to be getting players we have been linked with in the past, not surprising some clubs would do that.

We should be looking for strikers, not Alderwield who would only add bodies not compete for first team places unless injuries occur. Thats my opinion.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jul 12, 2013 at 9:25 AM

Torq,
    Fair enough. Pardew hinted at something in his interviews the other week, but didn’t mention specifics. It will be interesting to see what develops, and what benefits we actually derive from it. Will Pardew be a big enough man to learn, will JK for that matter? Is it possible to teach Stone to actually coach, rather than just set up the cones?

I am still baffled as to why our 3 most qualified coaches, handpicked to go on the elite coaching course with 14 others from selected from UEFA A license courses are dealing with Foundation, U16, and 1 is now in education rather than coaching having moved sideways from being a coach with the U15’s.

• hadthetshirt

Jul 12, 2013 at 9:25 AM

Pardew is starting to sound like Churchill,sadly it’s the noddy bloody dog one awwww yes mike

• Rotonda heights

Jul 12, 2013 at 9:25 AM

Bils son,

You criticised Carr for bringing in Anita and saying Carr’s targets were too lightweight.

However a couple of years back Carr had earmarked Wanyama when he was available for 900K and Leroy Fer when he was only 3M.

Hardly Carr’s fault if his recommendations aren’t acknowledged.

• TorqToon

Jul 12, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Lesh – Quite possibly. And if that’s what we have done its a huge step in the right direction.

Maybe some younger coaches who have been on the UEFA elite course, have forged Good bonds, and gained ‘mentors’ with top European tacticians?!

• Beattie25

Jul 12, 2013 at 9:27 AM

When we were talking about Toby signing like 18 months ago there were more than a few that said we wouldn’t sign him becuase bigger clubs were interested.

He might have said that about us but I refuse to accept that he might go to Norwich due to him lowering his expectations.

Some players are actually impressed by a little ambition and will go for the challenge of trying to achieve something at a club trying to progress.

I doubt he would’ve signed had Norwich not already broke the bank to sign Van Wolfswinkel but they are looking like they want to improve year on year.

We are the worst team in the PL. Not in terms of talent but in terms of ambition.

• Rotonda heights

Jul 12, 2013 at 9:28 AM

Lilo

Pardew was quoted as saying he did not need to bring in a technical adviser as he already ” had a magnificent coaching staff”

• Beattie25

Jul 12, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Pawl

Should we not be lookin to improve the squad year on year?

Willo or Saylor out Alderweireld in would’ve been a massive improvement.

• Rotonda heights

Jul 12, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Chuck

absolutely agree 100% but I’ll let you wear the flak cap today!

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 12, 2013 at 9:30 AM

I wonder what the real reason Hoots was sacked for.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jul 12, 2013 at 9:31 AM

Lesh,
    Yeah, I mentioned that as being a possibility on that thread in response to Ian. Although those coaches work with the Foundation, U16’s, and one used to work with the U15’s, but now works on the education side.

Rotonda,
    In his first interview back he said that they had some new ideas and knowledge, but didn’t say what knowledge, or where from.

• TorqToon

Jul 12, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Rotonda – I’m not sure he would EVER admit that his his staff’s coaching skills are way below par.

Which is why I suspect we have brought in / are bringing in a temporary appointed tactical advisor.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Jul 12, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Beattie,
    I’d say not wanting to play for mid table side and then joining what is at best, a mid table side is lowering ambitions.

We will see how Van Wolfswinkel does, I’m not sure he will be a huge success. I hope he is, for Hughton’s sake, but I wouldn’t have been dancing in the streets if he had signed for us. Granted, better then no one though.

• pawl250

Jul 12, 2013 at 9:35 AM

Rotanda

Do you know G Carr personally recommended those players? Or the fact it was a few snippets on here and other places saying so….

Hell I could have told you they were upcoming players…… not rocket science. Bottom line they are levels, and just because they played well in lesser leagues do not mean they can do it in the PL. That goes for most leagues around the world.

Afonso Alves is the prime example dutch league 39 games 45 goals in the Eredivisie, yet couldnt hit a barn door in the PL when bought for 20 million Euros by Boro.

Now tell me that players like Bas Dost, Luuk De Jong (31 apps 8 goals in German league) are good enough? Even Bony? How can you be so sure?!

Ask yourself if they are so “amazing” why bigger teams are not in for them?

I said a couple weeks ago I would go for Ba, who is reported to be interesting Villa for £7m in newspaper today. If that is true, do it!

Ba, Remy, Siem De Jong all for 20m would make our striking options near unlimited.

Before people say Ba/Cisse did not play well, simple do NOT play them together, rotate, or go on form.

My dream line up start of season and its purely a dream….

————— Sissoko — Cabaye —————–
    Ben Arfa ——– De Jong ————– Remy
    ——————- Cisse or Ba ———————-

It would push the other to do well. Its a brilliant attacking line!

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 12, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Pawl,
    At what date will you stop telling people to calm down you sound like and remind me of Mr Humphries in are you being served.

• Rotonda heights

Jul 12, 2013 at 9:37 AM

”But I think I proved last year to the fans, like I did to West Ham fans, that I don’t buckle under pressure. I don’t give in, I will fight and I will keep fighting for these players I have brought here or I have re-signed.”

So Alan that wasn’t you running down the tunnel after the Liverpool and Arsenal games then!!!

Oh sod it I don’t care what the likes of Ian Toon say any more. Cue the abuse. Yes I even bore myself about Pardew but when he keeps coming out with the most
    in denial comments it’s too stomach turning to ignore.

• pawl250

Jul 12, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Beattie –

So you are telling me we should sign quality players to replace average players, make us thin at the back by selling 2 homegrown players aswell as 2 central defenders and bring one in.

THEN expect Colo, Mbiwa or Alderwield to sit on the bench?

Look Man City can do it because they paid likes of Johnson etc. 100k+ or not far from it.

We will only cause issues by doing it!

Cannot see how people expect really good potential players, to sit on our bench for our needs. When they could play first team football week in week out on a World Cup year for their own!

Sorry but totally disagree, the real world is different to FM, you cannot have a 25 player team full of quality. It just doesnt happen unless you have incentive for those players playing 2nd and 3rd fiddle.

Marveaux for example does not want to play 2nd fiddle, he has said as much, Simpson said the same and he is arguably average, possibly below.

Bottom line you cannot just bring a decent player in and expect them to sit and hold their own career by being a bench warmer. If we sign a CB it needs to be in the mold of Haidara, someone willing to bide time, young with potential.

Alderwield will expect first team football.

• davis_toons

Jul 12, 2013 at 10:22 AM

“…even Morinho couldn’t get a deal like that.” a good one @19.

Pardew need training staff like Spurs does employ good training staff. To give a different dimension.

• lesh

Jul 12, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Aye Lilongwe Geordie, I did notice your earlier post and they sound like the guys I referred to. I’m sure we all hope that those guys’ experience, new knowledge and enthusiasm hasn’t been put to one side. It’d be such a criminal.waste if that is the case.

Just a thought, I wonder if Pards was referring to El Supremo (Joe) when he was talking about new technical input.

After all, he has done everything and even coached walking on water, turning water into wine etc!!