The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Will We See Joe Kinnear On The Training Pitch Next Week?

8:58 am, Saturday, July 13th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 60 Comments

Newcastle had their worst season in the Premier League last season in terms of goals conceded, when we leaked a massive 68 goals, although we did have players like Fabricio Coloccini, Steven Taylor, Davide Santon and Tim Krul missing for long periods of the season.

alan pardew smiling - press conference

Alan Pardew – needs two strikers

And with three good defenders having been brought in during January, Mathieu Debuchy, Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa and young Massadio Haidara, once these three get a full pre-season behind them they will strengthen Newcastle’s defense.

It’s striker we really need, plus a number of good young players, like Olivier Kemen brought into the club this summer.

Alan Pardew talked today in the local press and he had this to say about what his priorities were:

“I think we might need two strikers.” “I personally think, my competition in that area – Cisse, Shola, Gouff and Adam Campbell – last season wasn’t strong enough.”

“In the Premier League, that’s not enough. I need more than that.” “And I’ve got to be honest, I think we’re pretty strong in defense.”

Newcastle supporters are getting frustrated at the lack of signing,m with Newcastle now the only Premier League club not to have any new signings this summer, and Sunderland have brough in seven – so that;s two more than Newcastle have signed this year.

We’re a little surprised no moves have yet been made for Darren Bent and Loic Remy, who everybody now knows are two of our targets.

But presumably that will change when Joe Kinnear returns on Monday form holiday and moves into his new office at the Benton training ground.

It will be interesting to see if Joe Kinnear will be out on the training fields next week, and we suppose there;s nothing wrong with that.

However, the very last thing we want to see is Joe stepping on Alan Pardew’s toes on the coaching side of things at Newcastle – that’s not Joe’s job.

But we should get some idea next week of how Joe Kinnear and Alan Pardew will get along at the training grounds.

For the good of the club, we hope they get along well.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Coaching · Newcastle News · Recruitment · Transfer News and Rumours

60 responses so far ↓

• 1 Slank // Jul 13, 2013 at 9:01 AM

I think Joe can view the training from a distance but I would be very surprised if he gets involved. There should only be one man in charge of training and that is the manager.

• 2 Big Pappa Cissé // Jul 13, 2013 at 9:01 AM

Of course we will. Joe built the training ground and layed the pitch don’t you know :)

• 3 geordie157 // Jul 13, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Think I’ll stop mentioning wijnaldum as kinnear has no chance of pronouncing it correctly.

Sinclair and bent then. He should get those two right.

• 4 AaranD // Jul 13, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Its creativity we are lacking!! A bit part player in Marveax had the most assists last season at around 5 I think, not good enough at all.

• 5 Black and White with an army lol // Jul 13, 2013 at 9:05 AM

would rather have Sinclair than these two

Bents wages will be to high 40+k a week no way he should get that much i would say less than 30k and also 6-8 million for a striker who hasn’t done nowt for a season, no thanks, it’s a waste of money.

same goes for Remy his wages would be higher than Colo and Colo is on about 60+k a week also his contract clause is roughly 6-8 million and there’s a rape case over his head, no thanks, not worth the risk.

Sinclair is reported to be around the 4 million mark, young lad, loads of potential and hungry and English and his wages would be between 20-30k a week, yes please.

• 6 Black and White with an army lol // Jul 13, 2013 at 9:05 AM

Konoplyanka! please lets get off football manager, next i’m gonna hear we should go for Fierro or Ademilson or maybe Wellington Nem ( yes i play football manager )

• 7 Toon-Prodigy // Jul 13, 2013 at 9:06 AM

Dear me, I hope not.

He needs locked in his office to make important phone calls.

Hopefully by Monday evening we are all talking about medicals

• 8 Jail for Ashley // Jul 13, 2013 at 9:07 AM

I can’t argue that on paper our defence looks more than decent but in reality it was one of the worst in all four divisions.

• 9 sparky55 // Jul 13, 2013 at 9:13 AM

Repost due to ED’s morning madness putting up multiple posts

No we won’t see JFK on the training pitches because he has too much to do and some back stabbing to catch up on.

The fun all starts this week for us…first thing we need to suss out is who wants to go…then we’ll go down Carr’s list for replacements, and at the same time add the 2/3 we’re all wishing for.

Pardew’s being saying ‘We don’t need to sell players” all week simply because he knows players want to go and that he’ll blame JFK for them leaving when in reality they want to go because of the brand of football Pardew plays bypassing the ‘quality on the ball’ players we have.

At the minute it’s all about sniping and back-stabbing and something has to break. Pardew says he’s in charge and he’s in total control of the squad and I’m sure JFK thinks different

I have no idea who will win but either JFK or Pardew have to go within the next 2 weeks and I hope and pray it’s Pardew and then I hope and pray the new manager gets the players he wants and we get good replacements for the two other purples plus Cabs that will leave.

I honestly think at the end of the window we’ll be sitting pretty with a much improved squad, a new manager and a new owner.

my glass three quarters full ATM and IMO the bloodletting starts this week

• 10 van-damn-bad-man // Jul 13, 2013 at 9:13 AM

Black and White with an army lol, Bent is on £70,000/week at Aston Villa right now. Do some research. He will not take a £30,000/w pay cut to come to Newcastle United – a club which finished lower in the league than the one he is currently playing for.

• 11 ToonDanno // Jul 13, 2013 at 9:13 AM

No we won’t see joe on the training pitch. He’s not there to take training

• 12 cestriasteve // Jul 13, 2013 at 9:14 AM

AaranD, Marveaux is played out of position, he should play through the middle but unfortunately that place always goes to Cabeye ( rightly so).

KevyMartin from a few threads back (sorry was at the t20 last night so catching up, do you think that 4-3-3 formation gives us enough strength in defensive set up, I dont mean the back 4, I just mean in ability to defend as a unit.

HBA and Gouffy will need to support the mid field of Sissoko, Cabs and Tiote.

The defensive duties of Debeuchy and Santon worry me greatly!!

• 13 jazzyp // Jul 13, 2013 at 9:14 AM

newexpatmagpie
    morning mate-I personally think alderweireld is a snip at 8 mill euros.
    take colo or mapou out of the equation and we have willo who is championship at best and taylor who’s best days I feel are behind him

• 14 AaranD // Jul 13, 2013 at 9:15 AM

They only reason i’ve mentioned Konoplyanka is because Fulham have been told it will cost them £10million to get him, thats apparently from SkySports. So if they can surely we can.

• 15 jazzyp // Jul 13, 2013 at 9:16 AM

toondanno
    morning mate is there any truth with de jong as im hearing Liverpool are starting to circle round the man and have made tentative enquiries

• 16 van-damn-bad-man // Jul 13, 2013 at 9:18 AM

AaranD, you are too optimistic. When was the last time this club spent £10m+ on a player? It was Fabricio Coloccini almost five years back. Yes. We are a side which buys players under £7m, with the exception of Cisse for about £9m a few seasons back. Don’t expect the impossible. Please.

• 17 geordie157 // Jul 13, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Hoping that debuchy will be a class act this season, Russell Martin at Norwich is a solid right back who defensively uses his strength as he’s not the quickest. I think debuchy can do the same but he can offer a lot going forward too. And yes before someone comments I do believe debuchy is better than Martin. Just saying it is possible to play right back and not be the quickest. Maybe I should have said ivanovic

• 18 roe997 // Jul 13, 2013 at 9:22 AM

Frustrating being a toon fan!!!!!!!!!!

• 19 AaranD // Jul 13, 2013 at 9:23 AM

Maybe I am, just hoping the Tv money will be used and used well. You can see how big of a difference this money is making with teams even outside of the top 6 making signings left right and center. And if we are to believe that we offered upwards of £15 million for PEA then £10 million is not impossible at all.

• 20 Beattie25 // Jul 13, 2013 at 9:24 AM

I don’t have much to say this morning other than to post this gem of a quote:

“Manager Alan Pardew wants Aston Villa and England forward Bent to play just behind his No.9 Papiss Cisse, linking play and regularly chipping in with goals.”

If that doesn’t give us an indication of our tactics next season….

A goalscorer, a predator and Pardew thinks he’s a player that can hold up the ball?! What the holy fcuk?

• 21 jazzyp // Jul 13, 2013 at 9:25 AM

I do wish the pea deal would have come off and put the myth to bed that nufc wont spend big !!
    lets see what we have signed up at the end of the transfer window before blowing a fuse.
    why would ettienne say we bid 15 mill and Dortmund admit it to if we didn’t ?????

• 22 toon22 // Jul 13, 2013 at 9:25 AM

The only medical JK will be talking about is his own.

• 23 roe997 // Jul 13, 2013 at 9:28 AM

Just like to thank people on the blog for supporting me in my build up to total warrior 2013. For any one who didnt know,im running a 10k assault coarse up the lakes on 3rd august. Im running for cancer research uk. If anyone is interested in sponsoring me my online page is http://www.justgiving.co.uk/michael-roe thanks again ed for running a piece on me and everyone who has supported me aswell.

• 24 jazzyp // Jul 13, 2013 at 9:28 AM

beattie25
    if that’s the case mate than the de jong rumour will be put to bed as this is where this guy plays and operates most effectively !!!

• 25 AaranD // Jul 13, 2013 at 9:31 AM

Jazzyp – Exactly, we spend a decent amount if that’s what it takes. Plus £10 -15 million is far from bank breaking these days.
    St Ettiene accepted a number of bids and said it was up to PEA, if it was pure money they may have rejected BVB and just accepted us and he may be a Toon player. Even then people would complain :D

• 26 nut meg // Jul 13, 2013 at 9:33 AM

ToonDanno
    WOW Thank god for that,the last one we want see on the training ground is him.Any news for us ?

• 27 ToonMauritius // Jul 13, 2013 at 9:36 AM

May be we can for him

• 28 Yohan Kebab // Jul 13, 2013 at 9:37 AM

just bloody get in siem de jong, he is the player we are looking for, hes very good but he isnt a world beater on his own, however he could just be the missing piece

• 29 ToonMauritius // Jul 13, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Are we classified as a top club!!!

• 30 NEWEXPATMAGPIE // Jul 13, 2013 at 9:39 AM

Who will we sign?

Bent and the Aston Villa tea lady if you ask me!

I,m telling you the wait is killing me, its like the rest are all strenghening and we are twiddling our thumbs and sunning ourselves doing Nowt !

Swansea,Norwich and even the Mackems have been busy?

Plus all the commotion about Boney and PEA, it would appear with the coming of Joke, (Whats his Name?) Kinnear there is no longer any player who wants to come and play for us !

Is it me, or do i see a Pattern here? The words “Frustration”! and “Inactivity”! come to mind.

• 31 Spuggy // Jul 13, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Phew we survived relegation I thought.

Massive payday from the TV deals I thought.

We can buy a couple of world class quality forward players I thought.

We can spend £40 million as we will get at least that through the TV deal.

Hmmm. Waiting.

• 32 NEWEXPATMAGPIE // Jul 13, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Oh and to react to the headline at the top:

It will depend on how many Tablets Kinnear has to take for his Heart condition on whether you see him on the Training Pitch next week !

• 33 Spuggy // Jul 13, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Kinnear can pick up the phone to any manager.

How about he picks up the phone to Pards from his lilo.

• 34 Jail for Ashley // Jul 13, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Jazzyp,
    Can you remember when we bid 11 or 12M for Nzogbia knowing fine well that Wigan wouldn’t accept it , for me it was proven when that summer Nzogbia was available for 9.5M and we weren’t interested so don’t put it past the proven liar to bid then pull out of a deal for medical or personal terms issues.

• 35 ~Joke-innear~ // Jul 13, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Paying for Darren Bent is like paying for a high wage Ameobi.

Unless Villa pay us to get him off their hands, he is simply not worth the effort…

• 36 jazzyp // Jul 13, 2013 at 9:44 AM

aarand
    morning pal-Im for one am not an Ashley fan but ettienne admitted we bid big for pea as well as the 10mill bid for zouma. let try and stay positive and wish for another transfer window like January rather than thinking the worse already.
    so what if all the other clubs are signing players.if the players we are after through carr’s scouting are out there and we are in discussions with them,lets just hope for the best

• 37 stuart no9 // Jul 13, 2013 at 9:46 AM

the best thing JFK can do is – when the transfer window closes , F//ck off back on holiday till january when he is needed. absolutely no reason to make himself present at the ground or to make ridiculous comments in the media . make himself useful and go on holiday for a few month.

• 38 Yohan Kebab // Jul 13, 2013 at 9:47 AM

remy 7m
    de jong 6m
    sinclair 5m
    reserve keeper 2m

20m, sorted

• 39 ~Joke-innear~ // Jul 13, 2013 at 9:47 AM

Adam Le Fondre is by far a better prospect and player then Darrent ‘ can’t even get a game at Villa’ Bent is presently.

• 40 Stevenage Magpie // Jul 13, 2013 at 9:47 AM

ToonDanno, you should start a news blog of your own, what dya reckon? :)

• 41 Spuggy // Jul 13, 2013 at 9:48 AM

All we need to a couple of star quality players. I mean on Cabaye and Collo leave (our only world class players).

One winger/striker (Remy) and one versatile second striker (Siem De Jong). It’s unlikely Siem is available but that’s the calibre we need. I’d also like to see Scott Sinclair in and obertan out.

Surely we can spend 30 million of that TV deal to secure our position and start scoring some goals!.

• 42 AaranD // Jul 13, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Regarding the De Jong comments we aren’t a bad choice in all fairness. Whilst last season was a disaster, we are around the 7th best team in the league (on paper at least…). We should be scrapping with Liverpool and Spurs for the europa league places like the other year. It’s wishful thinking seen as both have very good footballing managers and Spurs have Bale and Liverpool have Suarez :(

• 43 Spuggy // Jul 13, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Got this horrible feeling we’re gonna be starting with Jonas and Tiote. They should be backup players only this season (unless tiote can find some form) and deploy sissoko and cabaye in the CM with a player like Siem in front.

• 44 SeanNufc87 // Jul 13, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Sparky 55

I always smile reading your special brand of delusional negativity. Keep it up.

The t.v money comes in next year guys, money will be spent.

People asking for 15 to 20 mil signings why? What’s wrong with buying a player of less value with equal ability? I genuinely am asking the difference.

• 45 potski // Jul 13, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Beattie

That “quote” about Bent playing behind Cisse comes from this article:

No substance to it whatsoever. Check out who wrote it – JKs favourite journo, and clearly not ITK.

• 46 toon kk // Jul 13, 2013 at 9:53 AM

It’s obvious were holding out for the best possible deal, we’re not going to spend £1 More than we have to even if it means missing out on our main target. Who I think will be Bent and he’ll probably be our only first team signing.

• 47 Beattie25 // Jul 13, 2013 at 9:54 AM

Sean

I agree with your post but which player do you think we are after has equal ability to one that we should be?

• 48 AaranD // Jul 13, 2013 at 9:54 AM

Jazzyp – I am trying to stay positive mate :). And I totally agree with you about PEA and I really think if push comes to shove we will spend a decent amount. The only reason I brought up about other clubs signings is to show thanks to the Tv money they can make these signings. I have no doubt at all that Carr has some corkers lined up :D. People are saying we haven’t spent big in recent years, but times have changed and we aren’t the same team from 3-4 years ago needing to scrap for bargains we have money and good squad.

• 49 stuart no9 // Jul 13, 2013 at 9:54 AM

sean – nobodys asking to spend 15-20 M all we are saying is buy SOMEONE.!

• 50 valle // Jul 13, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Signing Bent would be a step back to the earlier days where we bought former top players because the current manager thought they could save his bacon the current season on account of former glories…

• 51 stuart no9 // Jul 13, 2013 at 9:56 AM

does anyone else think ashley is lining up a sale ?

• 52 SeanNufc87 // Jul 13, 2013 at 9:58 AM

How many clubs have been promoted then within 3 seasons are considered major contenders for a 6th place position when the opposition is at the level it is?

I was thinking about this earlier, can’t be many clubs that strengthen in the right way over 3 seasons to become major contenders surely?

• 53 toonarmydownsouth // Jul 13, 2013 at 9:58 AM

If Alderweireld is available for €8 mil then we should be in for him
    Pards said our defence is good enough? How? Worst defence in the country last season!!! Shocking
    What happens if/when colo/MYM pick up an injury?
    Our cover is Taylor or willo, neither for me our good enough for 3rd choice mainly because there not good enough to push the starting 11, they are simply not competition at all get shot of one of them and replace him with Alderweireld

Alderweireld will push for the first team and will challenge and who knows maybe even dislodge MYM or colo
    The lack of competition for places at this club is shocking and the reason our lads seem undroppable

• 54 Beattie25 // Jul 13, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Potski

Where else is Pardew going to play him? I think he will see Bent as the replacement for Ameobi and that means playing just behind Cisse, holding up the ball and linking play. Bent is not the man.

The journo with no knowledge seems to have a grasp of Pardews tactics better than some on here and for amplification of the silver foxes shortcomings I shall revert your attention to yesterday’s debacle concerning Sissoko and Pardew trying to find his ‘position’.

• 55 AaranD // Jul 13, 2013 at 10:00 AM

stuart – I think he wants out, but only if someone stumps up massive amounts of around £350 – £400 million. We don’t need a owner who’s heart and soul is with the club. We need an owner who wants to improve the club each year and does things in his power to assure that, be that spending some cash or bringing in the right people to run the club. Is Mike Ashley that guy??

• 56 NEWEXPATMAGPIE // Jul 13, 2013 at 10:01 AM

@53:

Norwich are already in agreement on a 8Mil swoop for Alderweirld !

It was the same story with Boney and Swansea, the only thing that needs ti happen is that the Player needs to agree terms?

• 57 nut meg // Jul 13, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Jazzy
    Bang on there boy,that’s who I want here more than any other.150 games,50 goals & 33 assists.I know that doubters will say he’s not proven in the PL but that goes for just about every player that’s been mentioned excluding Bent.As for our defence being pretty strong ,it would be a whole lot stronger if HE got Tiote sorted out,the man doe’s more pirouettes than the royal ballett company .He should do what he’s good at,just win it & give it…. quickly. One of our problems last season was we put ourselves on the back foot.Time after time we dithered & dallied,4/5 touches then wacked it up field, possesion lost. From the back short & sharp to Cabaye /Marvo or the like,early balls forward,give the front player/players a chance of getting to the ball without waiting & waiting until they are offside.The ball travels quicker than the player & always make room for yourself, first lesson from schooldays & that still goes today.

• 58 nut meg // Jul 13, 2013 at 10:03 AM

my little rant over for today!

• 59 nufcursed // Jul 13, 2013 at 10:03 AM

waht astonishes me on this blog is that every one seems to forget what type of player we need the most!
    of course a striker is the main priority as we clearly lack cissé-type of players who can actually put the ball in the net on a consistent basis..
    but after that we need a playmaker more than a winger, CM or defender!!
    we need someone who dictates the play as we have NOT ONE player in the squad who is capable of doing that..

dont get your hopes up!this will be another disappointing window and we wont sign anyone special!
    bent and remy? NO THANKS!

there are so many better and cheaper options out there but we will never sign a ‘quality’ player.

to give some names of realistic achievable targets:

- eriksen (ajax)
    - fischer (ajax)
    - alderweireld (ajax)
    - lestienne (club bruges)
    - batshuayi (standard)
    - ezekiel (standard)
    - praet (anderlecht)
    - castaignos (twente)
    - uçan (fenerbahce)
    - muniain (bilbao)
    - malanda (zulte waregem)
    - mangala (porto)
    - griezmann (sociedad)
    - mitrovic (partizan)
    - draxler (schalke)
    - …

show there are a lot of better options available than the ones we’re looking at!
    and of that list almost every player would come to newcastle and is not extremely expensive

• 60 savio // Jul 13, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Nobody knows whom we are looking at….except for remy and bent….pardew has mentionned thier names….that doesnt mean that we will sign them…he also said that there are other players in that list and nobody know who they are…hope that list was made by carr….not by JFK or pardew….

previous post: Newcastle To Move For Targets Early Next Week

next post: Does This Striker Have A Future At Newcastle?