The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Reported After French Forward – But Who Is It?

4:52 pm, Sunday, July 14th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 324 Comments

Some interesting news in the Birmingham Mail today, that Darren Bent remains a target of Newcastle when Joe Kinnear returns to work in his new Newcastle office tomorrow, but they are reporting that we are after a French forward, who is unnamed.

Toulouse's forward Andre-Pierre Gignac c

Andre-Pierre Gignac – Marseilles 27 year-old striker

The Birmingham Mail is reporting that Newcastle are after a mystery French forward, and that Alan Pardew and Joe Kinnear will meet tomorrow, we suppose to decide on which player to bid for.

Loic Remy is also a target of Newcastle’s and may be the mystery French forward, although we have also been linked with is Marseille’s Andre-Pierre Gignac, but he wasn’t too happy to come to Newcastle, and wanted to move to a bigger club – so we should probably forget about the 27 year-old French International striker (16 caps, 4 goals) – he seems a snob.

But if the news today that Aston Villa will play hard-ball over their fee for Bent, and they will keep it as high as £6M, we don’t think Newcastle will bother, and we will turn to cheaper alternatives (what – again?).

Newcastle fans seem to favor having both Bent and Remy at the club for next season.

Should Newcastle Pay Out £5M For Darren Bent?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Should Newcastle Try To Sign Loic Remy For £8M This Summer?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

We’d be happy enough to have both Bent and Remy at the club this summer, but we have to get a top striker like Remy though the door, and not just Bent on his own.

We’ve also been linked with Lyon striker Bafetimbi Gomis this summer, and the 27 year-old French International is in the last year of his contract at Lyon, and his club want to sell him this summer, so they don’t lose him for nothing next summer.

So the question now is who is this French forward we are after – and who else could it be other than Remy, Gignac or Gomis?

What do you think?

BTW – a fantastic stage win by Chris Froome today in the mountains, and he’s now over four minutes ahead in the overall standings.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Loic Remy · Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

324 responses so far ↓

• 1 scout // Jul 14, 2013 at 4:57 PM

Kinnears tick list
    Under 10 million
    Under 60 grand a week

• 2 scout // Jul 14, 2013 at 4:58 PM

If I was villa I’d demand at least 6 million, Newcastle want the bloke for nowt. What a joke

• 3 cyprus // Jul 14, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Billson mate,
    That IS extortion and no worse than the Mafia rates:
    “A Mafia loan shark usually will charge 6-10% per week compounded weekly. At first they will give you two weeks, for example you borrow $2000 you will owe them $2100 in 2 weeks. If you can only pay $600 then you will owe $1500 plus the 5% interest per week until paid, so if you make another $600 payment in 2 weeks you will still owe around $1100.”

If you want a more in-depth academic definition go to

Best to turn a blind eye.

Anyway the Wonga discussion has been done here, no reason to regurgitate it. I for one, don’t like it.

• 4 jazzyp // Jul 14, 2013 at 5:00 PM

none starter boys-he’s already stated that nufc are beneath him and wants a bigger club.
    there are better options out there than this guy !!

• 5 Indian Magpie // Jul 14, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Could be Gameiro

• 6 Yorkgeordie // Jul 14, 2013 at 5:03 PM

With Cisse reluctant to wear the Wonga shirt and apparently asking for more money, it wouldn’t surprise me if he was sold. Would we then be looking for 3 forwards or is the figure 2 to take that in to account

• 7 DevonToon // Jul 14, 2013 at 5:03 PM

Repost i dont mind wonga as a company… Iv used them numerous times, very helpful like. Its like anything in life, if used correctly its fine. I only borrowed what i knew i could pay back.

• 8 Korean Magpie // Jul 14, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Would be happy with Gomis and Remy

• 9 jazzyp // Jul 14, 2013 at 5:05 PM

toondanno
    bless us with your unfounded knowledge of who this mysterious French forward is please !!
    oh is it remy ???

• 10 bills-son // Jul 14, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Cyprus – on the last article re Wonga – you have obviously never checked Wonga’s loans.

I repeat, borrow £100 for a month and you pay back £137. That includes interest and all admin fees.

If you dont pay a penny back and default on the loan for a year that is when the APR reaches 5000% due to default interest and charges.

Comparing Wonga to the Mafia is ridiculous.

I’m no Wonga fan but as said earlier today 99% of people dont understand that APR in 99% of cases isn’t the interest rate that is actually charged.

• 11 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jul 14, 2013 at 5:05 PM

We have been linked with:

1. Remy
    2. Gameiro
    3. Gomis
    4. Gignac

So could be either of them!

We could hope it would be either:

1. Lacazette
    2. Yassine Benzia
    3. Ayew
    4. Saïd

We need two forwards any way so a combination of one of the older and one young forward would be great :)

• 12 Lowesy // Jul 14, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Let’s look at the French strikers we are currently linked with: Gignac, Remy, and Gomis. Others have mentioned Gameiro.
    Personally, I’d say no to all of these for different reasons. I can see it being some young 16/17 year old French forward. Not an international which is what we need. I think we should explore the Dutch and perhaps the Belgian market. With the amount of Belgian players coming through and proving their worth maybe we should have a slice of that cake.
    By the by, Honda (the Japanese midfielder) would be a great signing, I think. He’s a free agent.

• 13 l3wy // Jul 14, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Knowing joe kinnear he’ll be trying to signEmile Heskey

• 14 nufc90 // Jul 14, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Off the top of my head Gignac, Gomis, Gameiro, Ben Yedder, Aliadiere are French strikers we’ve been linked to in the past. I’d hope we’re targetting Gameiro/Gomis/Ben Yedder in that order

• 15 nufc90 // Jul 14, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Honda’s off to AC Milan :(

• 16 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jul 14, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Are y’all still on about Wonga?

Christ on a motorcycle give it a rest already!!!

• 17 gonufc (not Arf' bad) // Jul 14, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Please not Bafe Gomis!!! Clumsy, heavy touch, not good enough!

• 18 Lowesy // Jul 14, 2013 at 5:09 PM

@nufc90
    Bugger

• 19 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 14, 2013 at 5:11 PM

Anyone else bored to tears about the Wonga discussion?

• 20 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 14, 2013 at 5:11 PM

Jesper

Amen to that my friend!

• 21 cyprus // Jul 14, 2013 at 5:11 PM

Billson, i’ll agree with Jesper, no use talking about Wonga.

But, I saw your example and it IS extortion dude, does it sound good to you?

Ok, dropping it now :)

• 22 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jul 14, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Is Max Clayton any good by the way? I like the way Crewe works – they seem very professional and Inman did very well there (they looked good the few games I saw)

• 23 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 14, 2013 at 5:14 PM

In all likelihood we’re not in for any “mystery French forward”

I mean, how would the Birmingham Mail have any inside knowledge into who we are after? Sounds like sad journos filling paper space on Sunday

• 24 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jul 14, 2013 at 5:15 PM

Ruddy/Cyprus…I am going out of my mind with Wonga this and Wonga that!

…I really don’t care about WONGA!!!

So Ruddy…how have you been my friend?

• 25 jazzyp // Jul 14, 2013 at 5:16 PM

gomis is in the mould of kenwyne jones and no better

• 26 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jul 14, 2013 at 5:16 PM

So spill the beans! Max Clayton anyone???

• 27 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jul 14, 2013 at 5:17 PM

And could Bradden Inman do a job for us this season if he gets a new contract that is?

• 28 nut meg // Jul 14, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Ruddy @ 18

• 29 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 14, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Scout

Villa aren’t really in a position to “demand” a fee for Bent. They’ve made it far too obvious that they want shot of him so if we are indeed interested in him, I would actually agree with the club in trying to get him in for pennies.

If we could nab him for 4m I’d even be inclined to say it would be a decent signing (provided that it won’t be the only ST signing made this summer)

• 30 Ashton // Jul 14, 2013 at 5:17 PM

I thought “Kinnear is on holiday” was a joke. It turns out it’s true!. This club is so pathetic. I hope we get relegated next season.

• 31 blew // Jul 14, 2013 at 5:18 PM

Remy is hardly the surprise French forward, we have been linked with him nearly every day since the season ended. Re Cisse – I don’t see how he is gaining or losing by the Wonga sponsorship, which does not subsidise his pay or bonuses in any fashion. For ulterior reasons I suggest he is making a stance.
    On the transfer front, don’t expect too much after 5 players were brought in during the January market. Maybe a striker, others according to the numbers leaving in Summer to retain the squad size.

• 32 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 14, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Jesper

I can’t say I’ve seen anything of Crewe last season, although it’s pretty clear that they’ve got a great ability at nurturing young talent.

I’ve heard Clayton is a prospect, as for Inman, I do think he’d need another loan spell before even being considered.

• 33 Ashton // Jul 14, 2013 at 5:21 PM

Also Newcastle interested in a mystery French attacker?? No way! what a fu(king scoop. I’m so enlightened right now!.

• 34 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 14, 2013 at 5:21 PM

Ashton

Of course you don’t hope we get relegated, you’re merely seeking attention.

• 35 magpie6699 // Jul 14, 2013 at 5:23 PM

In terms of Islam, isn’t it the whole principle of lending money for interest that is the issue? Whilst we can argue about the moral issue of the rates of interest charged I’m not sure that that is the issue in terms of Islam? Anybody know? In which case Virgin is as much an anathema as Barclays or Wonga. (Not to mention that Wonga has not done anything illegal, unlike Barclays and the fixing of the Libor rate!)

• 36 Ketsbaia9 // Jul 14, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Its Djibril Cisse.

• 37 Ashton // Jul 14, 2013 at 5:24 PM

Ruddy Marveaux-lous

A thief thinks everyone steals. Just because you spout lies on here to get attention doesn’t mean everyone is like you.

• 38 Indian Magpie // Jul 14, 2013 at 5:24 PM

My sources telling me

its Anthony La tellec

From Valencienes

• 39 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jul 14, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Ruddy…maybe we should send him back to Crewe for a season. I honestly think they did everything right with regards to Inman.

…for me he is/or will be much better than Bigi if nurtured the right way :) I have only seen Clayton a few times so I have no idea how good he is (it’s a bit like the case with Campbell)

• 40 stuart no9 // Jul 14, 2013 at 5:26 PM

i would be absolutely delighted with anyone who is stupid enough to sign for us .

• 41 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 14, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Magpie6699

That’s why it’s a non-story.

If Cisse had an issue, he wouldn’t have wore the Virgin Money shirt. The press tried to use the same story “Newcastle’s Muslim Players Refuse to wear Virgin Money shirt” back when they became our sponsor to try and rock the boat, but clearly they had no issue with it.

Cisse training in the gym has nothing to do with Wonga. If he wants out, it will be for a different reason.

• 42 Rotonda heights // Jul 14, 2013 at 5:26 PM

I personally like the vision of the Arsenal of the North as a well run club with a good youth set up and excellent scouting, sensible wage structure and ceiling etc.

Where it all falls down of course are the appalling staff appointments from top to bottom (Carr excluded.)

This just simply is never going to work with a couple of unsuccessful and equally arrogant, egotistical and delusional English managers both stuck in a time warp and living off imagined past glories they never really had.

I think we will really regret not getting one of
    Blanc, Garcia or Girard when they were available.

It’s really sad we lost Virgin too. It is hard not to imagine this club being under some sort of curse.

• 43 croftus5678 // Jul 14, 2013 at 5:27 PM

not that i believe anything being published now that jk is at the club but i would get excited about remy/gamerio and think bent/gomis could improve us but would be avg in excitement nothing special but gignac is absolute s*&t and i think i would cry if we even bid for him !

one thing i’m hoping for is that whoever we do sign they play really well and fit into prem life as carr seems to do awsome in this respect (hopefully the gel better than other clubs and that theres tend to be rejects)

• 44 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 14, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Ashton

If you say so.

Jesper

I always thought Inman was a more CAM type player, so if nurtured the right way, perhaps we could see both Bigi and Inman in a NUFC midfield in the future. You’re right, having looked at his stats at Crewe and reading match reports, it looked like Inman enjoyed his time at Crewe, the only problem I would have is that it’s a league lower than I’d like to see him play in.

• 45 ~Joke-innear~ // Jul 14, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Any sane man would only accept a deal for Bent, if Villa paid us 6mill to get him off their squad list.

• 46 Quasimodo's tailor // Jul 14, 2013 at 5:28 PM

You need to get a grip Ashton. Either that or go and support Manure or Chelski.

• 47 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 14, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Rotonda

Unfortunately, and with with increasing regularity, I agree with you.

• 48 gonufc (not Arf' bad) // Jul 14, 2013 at 5:29 PM

@Ashton – I thought it was a joke as well. I cannot believe that was allowed- his only job is to sign players.
    He has had years to go on holiday- why go on holiday in the only tiny segment of the year where he actually has to do his job?!?!?!

• 49 Rotonda heights // Jul 14, 2013 at 5:30 PM

dario Gradi would have been an excellent D.O.F

• 50 Rotonda heights // Jul 14, 2013 at 5:33 PM

ruddy

I would kill for the buzz of John hall and KK first time round again

• 51 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Jul 14, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Back to Wanka.com and Cisse, to me Virgin are a different type of bank, all their money is not generated just by loans like Wanka.com

And Toon don’t get it sorted and Cisse leaves along with Ameobi – then we are up shit creek cos we ain’t got a goalscorer and how many other players might not come on principal.

If he does not want to wear a Wanka.com good on him

• 52 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jul 14, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Ruddy…I would agree with you about that. The optimal thing would be to send our players to a Champ side, but Crewe really knows what they are doing when it comes to talent.

• 53 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 14, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Rotonda

Unfortunately I was merely a nipper, but I have vague recollections of The Entertainers and it was when we signed Shearer in 1996 that made sure I was hooked haha

I guess we just have to ride it out as far as this lot is concerned and hope they don’t do too much damage in the mean time.

• 54 croftus5678 // Jul 14, 2013 at 5:35 PM

@44 ruddy

i’m with you on innman he is an atking mid prob closest to rob lee of old my only concern is that he’s not interested in anything apart from making runs into the box and in todays game you prob need more than that to survive as a player.

some lads just can not learn while at us though and need a few seasons at champs lvl to show them how to play properly as we arnt that great at it.

• 55 Hencha Boii // Jul 14, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Weren’t we linked to Menez of PSG a few months ago?

• 56 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 14, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Jesper

If Inman went out on another loan to Crewe and had a fantastic season, much like his latest loan spell, then I would have no real issue, however look at Tavernier’s loan to Carlisle and then MK Dons. He was doing really really well at both of those clubs but looked way off the pace when it comes to being a PL RB, and now he is practically off the radar as far as being considered for the 1st team.

If we don’t prepare our young players for the rigours of PL life then we risk shooting their confidence.

Of course, it could just be a case that Tav simply isn’t good enough for our first team, which would then render my comment worthless haha

• 57 croftus5678 // Jul 14, 2013 at 5:39 PM

and cole was better than shearer for us imo.
    the lad just tore teams apart (what i would do for one of those again) think we signed him for 400k :-) bargain !

• 58 stuart no9 // Jul 14, 2013 at 5:39 PM

rotonda @ 50 —- dont start me off fella- i’ m f///cking depressed enough as it is .
    Sitting here with my first vodka and coke of the day – looking out to the garden , thinking – what the f//ks going on ?

• 59 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 14, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Croftus

I get the impression that you’ve seen more of Inman than I have so I am going to refer to your experience regarding him as a player.

I know he does play that more attacking role and perhaps will only ever really be interested in it. If a loan out to another club allows him to develope his attacking game then I’d be all for it, because if he stays with us Pardew will just knock it out of him! haha

• 60 Indian Magpie // Jul 14, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Stuart its only half past 5

• 61 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 14, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Croftus

Andy Cole was only with us for a short time, if he stayed his entire career then perhaps we could make a better comparison but for me, Shearer is the greatest striker we’ve ever had :D

• 62 Galtierez // Jul 14, 2013 at 5:43 PM

David Bellion.

• 63 croftus5678 // Jul 14, 2013 at 5:45 PM

@58 ruddy

hehe ner i agree with pards on this one inman and cisse should be our centrebacks next season as the know how to attack so surely must know how to stop them >.<

on a serious note pards/tiote seem to be talking well on there downfalls last season and and how they can improve them ! i just hope its all not 99% blks as it usually is.

• 64 Ashton // Jul 14, 2013 at 5:46 PM

As a football club we’ve hit our plateau under this management/leadership. We will never be a good club with idiots like Pardew and JFK in charge. Especially Pardew, he is just way out of his depth. After last season he should’ve been sacked and banned forever from managing a professional football team. But alas he wasn’t and he won’t next season because we will do slightly better ( No EL) and that will be enough for our moronic and unambitious fans and owner.

So yes I genuinely wish that we get relegated next season because it’s the only way to get rid of Pardew.

• 65 croftus5678 // Jul 14, 2013 at 5:47 PM

@60 ruddy

where do we put paul kitson in the striker list ?
    he was amazing in 1 of his 100 or so apps !

• 66 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 14, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Croftus

I sincerely doubt Tiote’s ability to get back to where he was, purely because I think his kind of game isn’t really what we need in midfield.

Tiote’s game is centred on stopping the opposition midfield by crashing into it, when he then wins the ball he looks to pass it to someone who can move it on, which means Cabaye pretty much has to follow Tiote around to make sure he gives him someone to pass it to.

Personally I think Anita or Sissoko would do a much tidier job of breaking up play and being capable of either running with the ball or picking a suitable pass, while also affording Cabaye a much more free role in the middle.

• 67 James RS // Jul 14, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Please not Gignac…Remy was the main man at Marseilles.We’ll get relegated if he comes.. Remy YES Bent YES Gignac NO

• 68 Galtierez // Jul 14, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Gamiero is doubtful as I seem to remember Blanc giving him his debut for France. Plus he stated before Blanc was appointed PSG manager, that if Liverfool came in for him he would go. Also tends to like Spain, so no to us.

Gomis- a big possibility.

Remy- Almost certainly him.

• 69 croftus5678 // Jul 14, 2013 at 5:49 PM

@65 ruddy

completely agree m8

• 70 DevonToon // Jul 14, 2013 at 5:50 PM

If any of our young players (18-20) was good enough they would be either in our 1st team every week or on loan playing week in week out at a bottom prem or championship team. I dont care how old said player is, if they got sumthin about em they’d stand out in the crowd

• 71 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 14, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Croftus

Are we drafting up a list of our best ever strikers? Ohhh goody! haha

For me it would be (from living memory)

1) Shearer
    2) Cole
    3) Ferdinand
    4) Asprilla
    5) Bellamy (controversial I know) but I loved how he worked up front with Shearer

• 72 Ashton // Jul 14, 2013 at 5:53 PM

gonufc (not Arf’ bad)

Exactly! I thought it was a ruse but it’s really happening. While every self respecting football club is busy getting transfers done our DOF who was only appointed a month ago is on a holiday. It’s depressing. I don’t want this idiot and Pardew to do well. I hope we crash and burn as a football club than rise from the ashes and start again.

• 73 ToonMauritius // Jul 14, 2013 at 5:53 PM

May be “Remy” or “Giroud” !!!!

• 74 Big Pappa Cissé // Jul 14, 2013 at 5:57 PM

@ ruddy

I would put Ba ahead of Bellamy.

• 75 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 14, 2013 at 5:58 PM

Ashton

You’ve dropped that line earlier and hardly anyone bit, it’s getting sad now :P

• 76 Ketsbaia9 // Jul 14, 2013 at 5:58 PM

Laurent Robert is still available. We could do with him now.

• 77 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 14, 2013 at 5:59 PM

BPC

I was tossing it up in my head and Ba was close to being in on the list but then I remembered Bellamy’s goal against Feyenoord in the CL group stages haha

Ba and Cisse do deserve honourable mentions though, even though the latter has had a shocking season I do rate him as a top striker.

• 78 Ketsbaia9 // Jul 14, 2013 at 6:00 PM

People forget how good Robert was. My top 5 strikers of all time would be:

Ba
    Cisse
    Ferdinand
    Shearer
    Cole

• 79 peaco1980 // Jul 14, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Everyone’s going on about Remy or Gameiro.

With JK the overseer of ‘talent’ and Parsnip the chief ‘tactician’ it’ll more likely be Dean Windass or Emile Heskey.

• 80 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 14, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Kets

I notice how you said “of all time”, I could assume this means Newcastle strikers of all time, and if so I would make a few changes to that list.

I’d have Milburn in ahead of either Ba or Cisse, I’d also have Malcom Macdonald or even Micky Quinn, not the most athletic but knew where the net was haha

We’ve had some pretty decent strikers over the years, we could be doing with another one though.

• 81 Klatoon // Jul 14, 2013 at 6:05 PM

i spend all day off the web and log in expecting to find progress on the transfer front…. :-(

• 82 Felipe // Jul 14, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Been told that negotiations with QPR/Remy are already well advanced…pretty sure that is the so called surprise.

• 83 Ashton // Jul 14, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Ruddy Marveaux-lous

I just explained why I think that way (my first post). I’m just projecting what I feel about this club.

Just go and have your period somewhere else you creep. And get a life. Every time I visit this blog I see at least 20 posts by you in every other thread.

• 84 stuart no9 // Jul 14, 2013 at 6:11 PM

indian @ 59 yeah i know , i’m late .
    Didnt ger up till 5

• 85 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 14, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Ashton

If you say so :D

• 86 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jul 14, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Ruddy… haha :)

About Tav; I don’t know if he ever was good enough for our first team, but I always though it was a mistake to send him to Gatshead – the lavel they play is simply not good enough.

For me it is not so much a question of Champ experience; League ! could do as well. It’s about going to a club with the right setup and going to a club where the player in question plays in the position we want the player to play in.

• 87 peaco1980 // Jul 14, 2013 at 6:13 PM

My Top 5:

1. Shearer
    2. Beardsley
    3. Ferdinand
    4. Cole
    5. David Kelly

• 88 DevonToon // Jul 14, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Top 5… Well i was born 87 so…
    1. Shearer
    2. Ferdinand
    3. Carroll
    4. Bellamy
    5. Tino

• 89 ToonDanno // Jul 14, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Jazzyp- remy

• 90 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jul 14, 2013 at 6:15 PM

*Gateshead – the level… (sorry about the type-o)

• 91 nufc90 // Jul 14, 2013 at 6:16 PM

(4-3-3)
    Krul; Debuchy, MYM, Colo, Santon; Tiote, Sissoko, Cabaye; Ben Arfa, Cisse, Marveaux.

That starting 11 looks a great team. We don’t need major recruitment just add a couple for competition. Ideally I’d like Remy, a proper LW and younger striker to replace Shola. I’d take Bent but I do think he’s too similar to play alongside Cisse.

• 92 Ketsbaia9 // Jul 14, 2013 at 6:16 PM

Best 5 lefts backs at the club:

Domi
    Santon
    Bernard
    Robbie Elliot
    Haidara

• 93 Big Pappa Cissé // Jul 14, 2013 at 6:18 PM

@ Kets

What about Enrique ? , he is probably the best LB we have ever had IMO .

• 94 ToonDanno // Jul 14, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Looks like obertan isn’t going anywhere. Make of it what you will :)

• 95 Ashton // Jul 14, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Nice rebuttal there you absolute comment-whore.

• 96 kevymartins // Jul 14, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Albert luque
    Xisco
    shola
    Owen
    and so on.

• 97 DevonToon // Jul 14, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Didnt know domi, elliot n bernard where still at the club kets…

• 98 stuart no9 // Jul 14, 2013 at 6:22 PM

ruddy @ 70——-how dare you forget George Reilly.

• 99 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jul 14, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Well ToonDanno…if Newcastle want to go anywhere then players like Obertan need to be moved on!

• 100 Ketsbaia9 // Jul 14, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Enrique isn’t much better than Robbie Elliot. Elliot bagged a few goals for us and was a better crosser of the ball than Enrique. Enrique is better at surging forward. Didier Domi left too early. He set up quite a few goals and had pace etc.

• 101 geordie racer // Jul 14, 2013 at 6:25 PM

I haven’t posted on here in a long while, but as the window hots up, (or cools down in our case) I decided it was time to re-register and throw my two pence in.
    As for this ‘mystery french forward’ I immediately though of Kinnear offering recommendations whilst sunning it up in Italy. Studying YouTube clips and emailing his mate Mike with an unjustified self satisfactory grin.
    It wouldnt shock me if the frenchman in question was one Jaques ‘Pavlova of the parallels’ Clouseau – with Kinnear having put forward his name after having watched this clip…

But seriously, I’ve got a sneaky suspicion it could be Kevin Gamiero.
    We’ve been linked with his signing in the recent past, and going off signings such as Tiote, Cisse and Ben Arfa that Graeme Carr short lists players and goes back to them regardless of whether he’s been successful in signing them the first time or not.
    If its true, and Gamiero is the player we are looking at then I’d be satisfied; sure. But I would love to think that he would also be joined by Remy or at the very least Bent.
    We need two forwards if we keep Cisse. And three good forwards if he leaves.

• 102 kevymartins // Jul 14, 2013 at 6:26 PM

@Kets even though we didn’t get to see much of him but man o man patrick van annhollt looked good playing lb for us.

• 103 Black and White with an army lol // Jul 14, 2013 at 6:29 PM

watch out guys there’s 4 french forwards out of contract and they are 32+ years old

• 104 geordie racer // Jul 14, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Andy cole was signed for 1.25m and not 400k as someone incorrectly stated.
    And he may have bagged a hat full of goals in his few seasons at Newcastle but to state he was a better striker than shearer is lunacy.
    Shearer is the club’s record goal scorer. Was in the top 2 or 3 strikers in world football when he signed for us, and played for the rest of his career while others could, and would have moved on.

My Top 5 Newcastle forwards:
    Alan Shearer
    Jackie Milburn
    Hughie Gallgher
    Peter Beardsley
    Malcolm Macdonald

• 105 Big Pappa Cissé // Jul 14, 2013 at 6:38 PM

My best NUFC team since I have been a hard-core fan

——————————-Given—————————–

–Debuchy——Woodgate——-Collocini——-Enrique–

–Solano———–Cabaye———-Sissoko——–Robert–

———————Shearer————–Ba——————–

• 106 lesh // Jul 14, 2013 at 6:39 PM

Kinnear and Pardew to meet and decide which player to sign? Which? Which when we need at least three.

And, if Villa dig in at £6m for Bent, we’ll look for a cheaper option. Where do they expect to get such a striker? Poundland, Netto??

And since we’re looking at best evers, have we missed Wyn Davies and dare I say it, John Tudor? Let’s not forget the two Lens – White and Shackleton. Christ, I’m looking back a bit!!

Best left back Kets? Frankie Clarke by a mile over the ones you named!

• 107 geordie racer // Jul 14, 2013 at 6:40 PM

Anyone go along with my thinking which would be to give Santon a run of games on the left wing pre season and play Haidara left back?
    Santon, or ‘David.A’ as I like to call him, is great going forward but gets caught out a bit in defence. And judging by our lack of interest in buying a left winger why not try him there?
    He’s got a great engine and would offer far more than Obertan and is probably more direct than Marveaux.

• 108 Rotonda heights // Jul 14, 2013 at 6:42 PM

nufc90

spot on. maybe anita for tiote

• 109 lesh // Jul 14, 2013 at 6:44 PM

And Bobby Shinton?

• 110 Rotonda heights // Jul 14, 2013 at 6:44 PM

big papa

beardsley? he was still around with shearer

• 111 Big Pappa Cissé // Jul 14, 2013 at 6:47 PM

@ Rotonda

I was born in 91 and only really started following NUFC when I was 10 . The sad part is I don’t really remember the Keegan era :(

• 112 SeanNufc87 // Jul 14, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Jesper

Benzia? Pulled that one straight from fm eh? ;) he’s crap in real life, 2 goals in 24 appearances.

• 113 Jail for Ashley // Jul 14, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Croftus,
    On the 400K we paid for Andy Cole, did you just make that up !

• 114 t00ntime // Jul 14, 2013 at 6:50 PM

@Ashton yeah, we get relegated and lose AP, cabaye, ben arfa, colocini, santon, debuchy, krul, cisse, sissoko and tiote that will teach them bast**ds!
    O wait we wont have a good enough squad to bounce back up, and MA wont pay enough to get a squad capable of bouncing back and then a squad capable of bpl surivial… Maybe we shud rethink this plan…

• 115 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jul 14, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Sean…I was way behind on the FM front mate (’11 version); never knew who anyone was talking about when they referred to young players, but bought ’13 version a few weeks ago (I felt I needed an update lol)

Though truth to be told Torq had me looking into alot of French players over the last year or so. Benzia was very ned to me – have no idea how good he is :)

• 116 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jul 14, 2013 at 6:53 PM

*ned = new

• 117 Guj NUFC // Jul 14, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Anyone got an official figure of how many people we’ve been ‘linked’ with. It’s that time of the season where people pull names out of a hat then go crazy when they sign for other teams when we were probably never even looking at them. Roll on the new season. Cabaye sold and a left forward bought in I reckon. Sissoko Tiote Anita midfield. Ben Arfa Cisse _____.

• 118 scout // Jul 14, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Please explain why Micky Quinn was omitted from the striker list??? The bloke knocked 42 in one season as I remember.

• 119 Barras // Jul 14, 2013 at 6:56 PM

No and no to Remy and/or Bent.

Wjinaldum and Siem De Jong would probably cost a collective £5m extra.

• 120 NUFC FOR SALE // Jul 14, 2013 at 7:00 PM

BPC

I’d go with
    ——————————-Given—————————–

–Venison——Woodgate——-Collocini——-Enrique–

–Solano———–L.Clark———-Lee——–Beardsley–

———————Cole————–Shearer——————–

• 121 SeanNufc87 // Jul 14, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Might be decent some day but need a proven goalscorer, I’m hoping on Remy or gomis

• 122 scout // Jul 14, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Id take 20 million for cabaye all day long then buy ince and that youngen from derby with the dollars, lowers the wage bill and adds two much needed Englishmen to our over egged French team.

Krul
    Dubuchy colo Yanga santon
    Afra hughesAnita ince
    Cisse bent

• 123 DevonToon // Jul 14, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Oooo my toon dream team 95 onwards.
    Gk – Given
    Lb – Bernard (just over enrique)
    Cb – Albert (woodgate to injured)
    Cb – Coloccini
    Rb – Barton
    Lm – Ginola
    Cm – Lee
    Rm – solano
    cf – berdo
    St – shearer
    St – ferdinand

• 124 scout // Jul 14, 2013 at 7:03 PM

Ginola on the left???

• 125 SeanNufc87 // Jul 14, 2013 at 7:03 PM

Barras

We need a STRIKER not a defender and ANOTHER midfielder

• 126 scout // Jul 14, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Would you chaps be confident of a top 10 finish at 11/8??

• 127 croftus5678 // Jul 14, 2013 at 7:05 PM

@110 jail

ye pretty much i just remember we made tons of money from him and signed him for a stupid amount of money as we was in low divisions at the time lol

• 128 NUFC FOR SALE // Jul 14, 2013 at 7:06 PM

1. Collicini
    2. Woodgate
    3. Albert
    4. Enrique
    5. Beresford

• 129 Bearsize // Jul 14, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Its all BS why buy a french forward when we have obatan. I am not getting sucked in by reports anymore. We wont buy anyone until january again when people have 6 months left on their contract. Might get bent in this summer but that will be it. I am a ray of sunshine today

• 130 croftus5678 // Jul 14, 2013 at 7:08 PM

solano and bernard what players brings back some memorys
    my hero albert also who made me some money in the world cup and i forgot about david kelly >.< showing your age now lol

• 131 SeanNufc87 // Jul 14, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Nufc for sale

Why isn’t Albert luque on that list!? ;)

Anyone remember shaka hislop?

• 132 jazzyp // Jul 14, 2013 at 7:10 PM

Can’t believe nobody has picked our very own Nile f@ck up ranger to be in newcastle’s xl lol

• 133 roe997 // Jul 14, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Benzia is only 17. So how can u deem him crap eh.

• 134 low fell mag // Jul 14, 2013 at 7:14 PM

Yes Yes to Remmy and Bent,No No to the clown Ashton!

• 135 scout // Jul 14, 2013 at 7:14 PM

speed should be on your list, I only ever saw Lampard get the better of him at st.james. A true gent as well RIP Gary

• 136 scout // Jul 14, 2013 at 7:16 PM

I met speed in eldon square he stood for 10 minutes talking to me. Cracking bloke, such a shame.

• 137 croftus5678 // Jul 14, 2013 at 7:17 PM

strikers :

cole
    shearer
    xisco
    ferdinand
    eardsley
    …wtf who put xisco in >.< 5th old rubber legs

mid's :
    nolan (cos he pulled everything together)
    solano

given
    krull
    shaka
    harper
    forster

• 138 Belfast // Jul 14, 2013 at 7:17 PM

He’s to slow not the type of striker we’re looking for.

Remy and Bent would do for me.

• 139 GeordieTwo // Jul 14, 2013 at 7:17 PM

Are you talking all time best kevy@95. You seem to have forgotten Jackie Milburn and several others. Tsk tsk my dad and I will never forgive you mate. :) You too Kets. Your memories don’t go back anywhere near far enough I’m afraid.

• 140 SeanNufc87 // Jul 14, 2013 at 7:17 PM

Roe he’s 19 this year actually and I’ve watched him play in Europe so that’s how lol

• 141 GeordieTwo // Jul 14, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Just to remind you Jackie Milburn scored 200 goals for us and won 3 fa cups with us as well. Not too bad I wouldn’t say. Which of your listed strikers won 3 fa cups exactly? 3 cups in 51, 52 and 55.

• 142 roe997 // Jul 14, 2013 at 7:20 PM

I like how u say 19 this year but he may have been 17 a couple months ago.no one that young should be written off and fyi.lol av watched the lad too and i believe he has a lot potential.

• 143 croftus5678 // Jul 14, 2013 at 7:23 PM

is everyone sure on this rolando being that bad ? seems he’s come very very highly rated and other fans seem to think he will be a star ! (not seen him so i can not comment)

• 144 Ketsbaia9 // Jul 14, 2013 at 7:24 PM

NUFC all time team:

Krul

Debuchy Coloccini Albert Santon

Ben Arfa Dyer Hamann Robert

Shearer Ba

• 145 SeanNufc87 // Jul 14, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Roe

Okay… he’s 19 in just over a month… happy?
    Not to mention we need a proven striker, you think it’s him? I really Dunno why your arguing with me on this?

• 146 roe997 // Jul 14, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Rolando is a decent defender,but not much better than douglas imo. On a free transfer douglas would be better for ashley so i think this rolando storey is a non starter.

• 147 kevymartins // Jul 14, 2013 at 7:27 PM

@Kets you mean your nufc team of all time, surely if it was nufc’s team of all time, Shearer,milburn and supermac, malcom macdonald would be in there.

• 148 NUFC FOR SALE // Jul 14, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Ketsbaia9

Yeah good team.

2 best attacking partnerships I’ve ever seen in my days as a newcastle supporter.

1. Beardsley + Cole (People go on and on about Ben Arfa but Peter Beardsley was head a shoulders a better footballer even at the age he was when Keegan brought him back….Beardsley is the closest thing we will ever have to a Messi….Ben Arfa would need improve by 50% at least…he has the skill but neither the will or energy that Beardsley had).

2. Bellamy + Dyer (unfortunately they weren’t always fit together but when they were these 2 were devastating)

• 149 Barras // Jul 14, 2013 at 7:30 PM

@SeanNufc87

Wjinaldum is an attacking Winger and Siem De Jong is either a goal-scoring CAM or a striker, depending on what mood he is in.

• 150 Belfast // Jul 14, 2013 at 7:30 PM

The only player in the current squad who would get anywhere near my all time team would be Coloccini.

The rest of the squad are pretty average to be honest.
    Ben Arfa and Cabaye are good players, that’s about it.

• 151 croftus5678 // Jul 14, 2013 at 7:31 PM

steven glass and kieth gillespie also ^^ got we have had some good players.

• 152 NUFC FOR SALE // Jul 14, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Ketsbaia9

and I made a mistake in my all time team….Krull would definitely get the nod over Given….Shay just never commanded his box or defenders….best shot stopper in the world but that was it for me…Krull a much better all round keeper.

• 153 Toonboy_84 // Jul 14, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Croftus

Best gk’s?

You rate forester above pavel srncek (poor spelling)?

• 154 mot7 // Jul 14, 2013 at 7:31 PM

gk krull
    rb watson
    cb albert
    cb woodgate
    lb pearce
    rm ginola
    cm lee
    cm hamman
    lm robert
    fw beardo
    fw shearer
    That team might even get me back to the ground to line fat ashleys pockets.

• 155 GeordieTwo // Jul 14, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Not even close Kets@140 I’m afraid. You don’t have the long-term perspective to pick an all time team for Newcastle. Try looking up some of the history of the team. You’ll find some interesting names and stats including Milburn, Gallacher, White, Beardsley, Supermac, on and on.

• 156 NUFC FOR SALE // Jul 14, 2013 at 7:32 PM

and if I had to pick subs, Scott Sellars would be in there….one of the best left foots ever to grace St James Park.

• 157 Jail for Ashley // Jul 14, 2013 at 7:33 PM

Croftus,
    We signed him for a club record of 1.75M because at the time our owner had ambition albeit a certain amount of greed but ambition nevertheless.

• 158 stuart no9 // Jul 14, 2013 at 7:35 PM

WHAT ABOUT GEORGE REILY ?

• 159 SeanNufc87 // Jul 14, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Barras

Sorry mate, thanks to kets I see alderweld every other post lol

As for De jong he’s a midfielder, all be an attack minded one but he doesn’t play up front, he’s not the striker we need.

• 160 croftus5678 // Jul 14, 2013 at 7:37 PM

@144 nfs

even with all that skill beardsley had did you ever once see the lad not running his heart out to either go forward or get the ball back ?

THE most professional/energetic/skillfull player we have ever had and for such a small lad ^^ think your right tbh he would have given messi a run for his money in a decent team in todays game where players are not allowed to touch another without it being a fowl

• 161 croftus5678 // Jul 14, 2013 at 7:39 PM

@149 toon

i do m8 srnicek was s*&t lol good shot stopper but let in some awfull goals lolsaying that we did not have a defence though so prob was not his fault lol

• 162 G // Jul 14, 2013 at 7:46 PM

I would be hard pushed to pick a list of top players on ability, because it is so rare you are able to compare one players strenghts and weaknesses to another. It’s probably easier if I just give you my list of favorites for the toon in my life. Fave forward was Les Ferdinand, best header of the ball I have ever seen, and played in a side that suited it richly. Would have loved to have seen more of him and Shearer together. Fave midfielder, was Ginola, on form the finest player I have ever seen in a black and white shirt. If only he had the work ethic of Rob Lee. Favorite defender was probably John Beresford, not technically the best player ever, but probably the best Left Back never to have played for England. My favorite defender purely because he once scored a goal with his ar*e, then in the post match interview made out it was deliberate. Best keeper, I would have to say was probably Tommy the Barman Wright. Not the best technical keeper, but what a guy off the pitch. A true character, and likeable gent.

• 163 Ketsbaia9 // Jul 14, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Worst all time team

Steve Harper (older one)

Simpson O’Brien Williamson Wayne Quinn

Obertan Geordiadis Scott Parker Pinas

Shola Ameobi Paul Robinson

• 164 low fell mag // Jul 14, 2013 at 7:47 PM

I think a lot of people talking of great toon players are forgetting Kevin Keegan,,we might of had him in the twilight of his career ,but he was sensational.

• 165 G // Jul 14, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Just to add to post 158, honorable mention has to go to Steve Watson. Never should have left us! Could play in any position listed on my favorites, including the nets, and what a cracking lad he is too.

• 166 solano // Jul 14, 2013 at 7:51 PM

The man must have missed me so much since I’ve been away; though I notice he always has lots to say on the defence of Wonga. So much so that he has bored everyone to tears. He loves spouting drivel.
    Bills should just get back to talking about transfers. Here’s a gem:
    bills-son // Jun 2, 2013 at 4:53 PM

“I see solano the self righteous doomsayer of all things Ashley has reared his head and joined the other ‘no ambition’ ‘Carlton Cole’ ‘worst owner ever’ ‘lying bstads’ ‘get out of our club’ brigade.

Well, this next window really is the one that will show us how much ambition MA has for NUFC. He has learnt last season that the first team squad wasn’t strong enough, the ‘promising youngsters’ weren’t ready or good enough and that his policy of take it or leave it offers can work very well – but when it doesn’t he needs nailed on alternatives.

I think Ashley will pull the rug out from the doomsayers – smug solano especially – by making some sensational signings.

If we have a poor window I promise to admit I was an idiot for being fooled by Ashley and I’ll totally withdraw my support for him.”

Is the worm turning or will a £5m flutter keep his faith whilst all around us are giving it a real go to strengthen by having a proactive strategy in the market?

• 167 Bearsize // Jul 14, 2013 at 7:54 PM

Heres my under rated team 90′s onwards

Harper

Hottiger peacock howey watson

Fox acuna anita ambrose

Kluivert kitson

Not a bad team. Few eyebrows raised. Thought acuna was top draw but dyer kept him out. Kluivert still scored goals that season, his problem was he was on a different wavelength to the other players. Anyone who leaves barca to the toon will suffer from this lol. Shearer staying didnt help him either

• 168 Toonboy_84 // Jul 14, 2013 at 7:54 PM

Fair play Croftus. Forester didn’t play for us much though.

Talking of favourite players. I know he’s been mentioned but Solano. I always judge players on when you see them live in the stadium. Not on tv. His touch and passing were sensational.

• 169 G // Jul 14, 2013 at 7:54 PM

Ketsbia 9, I cant believe in your worst 11 you couldn’t accommodate Andreas Anderson, Silvio Maric, Marcelino or Stephane Guivarch.

• 170 jonobbad // Jul 14, 2013 at 7:54 PM

G
    Stevie also had a sensational throw in until it got banned.

• 171 Billythefish // Jul 14, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Billy whitehurst should top the list closely followed by Carl Cort both magical inside and outside the box left foot right foot and magical headers.

• 172 Fostino // Jul 14, 2013 at 7:56 PM

very harsh on harper putting him in worst team..he has been a loyal and capable player. shame on you.

• 173 G // Jul 14, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Correct jonobbad

• 174 croftus5678 // Jul 14, 2013 at 7:57 PM

i think we all want ashley and joke to take the pisch out of us all and prove to us we know fk all by signing messi/ronaldo/ronaldinhio and pirlo next week and i am fully ready to admit and kiss his a*s if he does^^

• 175 kevymartins // Jul 14, 2013 at 7:57 PM

@G not to menton the likes of peter rampage.

• 176 G // Jul 14, 2013 at 7:57 PM

@168, clearly he forgot Mighty Mike Hooper

• 177 Ketsbaia9 // Jul 14, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Andreas Anderson, Silvio Maric and Stephane Guivarch were all decent players. Guivarch scored on his debut against Liverpool. He wan’t utilised enough. Andersson wa decent and Maric deserved a longer stint with us.

• 178 GeordieTwo // Jul 14, 2013 at 7:58 PM

I’m afraid most of you on here are much too young to pick an all time best starting 11. Try looking up Hughie Gallacher’s stats for a start lads. How about that goals per game ratio? You don’t know what you missed with some of the brilliant teams of the past. A lot of the current roster is just dross in comparison. Krul is a decent goalkeeper, Ben Arfa is talented but too often injured, Cabaye is too sulky, and most of the rest wouldn’t even be allowed in an all time team dressing room lads. Ferdinand would have been an all time great had he been with us longer I believe but possibly not starting 11.

• 179 sparky55 // Jul 14, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Peter beardsley, Jackie Milburn and Tony green are the three best players ever to grace St James Park

Given

Debuchy Colo Albert Kennedy

Asprilla Lee Green Ginola

Beardsley

Milburn

• 180 Toon_Tom // Jul 14, 2013 at 8:00 PM

@120 “Ginola on the left?”

Where would you have played him? One of the best LM we have ever had!!!

• 181 GeordieTwo // Jul 14, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Sad you young lads don’t believe in looking up the history of the club before spouting off about all time best teams. Tut tut. Shame on you. Shows no respect for the past at all.

• 182 plana // Jul 14, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Gomis in by end of the week. The best player was Hughie Gallagher the messi of his day and the last NUFC, captain to win a title.

• 183 G // Jul 14, 2013 at 8:00 PM

I actually quite liked Ramage, because with us, unlike so many of his well paid collegues, Ramage knew how to put a shift in. I will always take a 100%er over a prima donna, although a nice blend of both is good.

• 184 Toon-Prodigy // Jul 14, 2013 at 8:00 PM

The player is Thierry Henry!

• 185 croftus5678 // Jul 14, 2013 at 8:01 PM

@164 toon

good point or forster i was going on potential with him but you are right basing it on best players in the past i will change him for srnicek.

and these players coming out ^^ raul fox and darren ambrose (drool) what would we give for them in our team today !

• 186 G // Jul 14, 2013 at 8:03 PM

@Georde two, Gallagher is without a doubt one of the finest players to have graced our colours, however, he is just a little bit before my time.

• 187 AndyNUFC // Jul 14, 2013 at 8:04 PM

From 2003 my best team:
    Given
    Solano Coloccini Woodgate Enrique
    Ben Arfa Speed Barton/Nolan Robert
    Shearer Bellamy

• 188 Jail for Ashley // Jul 14, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Solano,
    Can you not apreciate the fact we are “financially stable” and that Norwich and Swansea fans can’t be enjoying their new found success as they are sh!tting themselves in case they do a Portsmouth, a fans poll suggested they are gutted they bought Bony and Rip Van Winkle purely because they didn’t think it was within the clubs means.

• 189 Toon1978 // Jul 14, 2013 at 8:06 PM

What i would give to have these lads on the pitch for us today………………

………………………………….Given…………………………………

Venison…………Woody…………Collo……….Beresford

Solano…………………………R.Lee…………………..Ginola

……………………………….P.Beardsley…………………………

……………………..J.Milburn…………A.shearer……………

I hope my line up looks correct when i submit it i apologize if not. Very attacking team i know but quality also ;)

• 190 GeordieTwo // Jul 14, 2013 at 8:09 PM

Thank you G @182 mate. At least somebody knows who I’m talking about. And there are many others as well. Most of those on hear are talking about best teams of the last 30 years or so. A completely different thing indeed.

• 191 Jail for Ashley // Jul 14, 2013 at 8:09 PM

Toon prodigy,
    Did you get my reply to your post the other day ?

• 192 Toonboy_84 // Jul 14, 2013 at 8:10 PM

J4A

I wish we could whinge that we were signing players that were within our means. Chance would be a fine thing.

• 193 Bambams // Jul 14, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Kevin Carr in goal…… Local lad, great fella and is black and white through and through.
    Some of the tales he tells about the drinking culture in his early day’s, also states Beardsley was an absolute magician and probably unique at that time.
    As for RB ….. my favourite player John Anderson. …. Saw his debut when he fell over the ball and he had to be stretchered off….. He was crap- but the effort that bloke showed in his ten years endeared him to the faithful and was the most improved player I ever saw at the Park (mind you his debut was terrible so could only get better ) Great service to the club.
    Imo

• 194 G // Jul 14, 2013 at 8:12 PM

at 186, I was tempted to put players like Jinky, or Supermac, who I would have said I enjoyed in my hayday, but a lot of people on the blog would have to google them (No offence to the young majority, but true). I find when you deal with the majority on here, its best to just concentrate on the Prem league era, although it’s difficult to pick a great keeper on that list.

• 195 croftus5678 // Jul 14, 2013 at 8:15 PM

david batty
    chris waddle
    paul gascoyn
    temuri ketsbaia
    charles insomnia
    joey barton
    habib beye
    emre benezoglu
    gavin peacock
    antione sibieski (my hero)
    barry venison

• 196 plana // Jul 14, 2013 at 8:16 PM

Take two minutes and Google Hughie Gallagher’s record. The man was awesome. Played 21 times for Scotland scoring 23 goals.

• 197 geordie157 // Jul 14, 2013 at 8:21 PM

I’d prefer if the French striker was Ben yedder, saivet or lacazette

• 198 GeordieTwo // Jul 14, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Toon 1978 that’s a much better effort @185. Definitely I would put Gallacher on the bench. What a super sub along with SuperMac. That team would challenge for the title mate. :)

• 199 solano // Jul 14, 2013 at 8:22 PM

JFA…some dullards will need another 12 transfer windows and a new 6 year, 5 year plan to make up their minds on Mike!
    As for the financials, you know my view. Better to owe the bank and get a monthly statement than to shuffle debts off into murky holding company.

• 200 Barras // Jul 14, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Why are so many people living in the past?

• 201 GeordieTwo // Jul 14, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Aye G @190. Ronnie Simpson was a very decent keeper indeed but few would remember him. Given was very good in his day. A fine shot stopper. If Krul could distribute the ball he would be up there as well but his distribution is horrible. He must improve it to become the Dutch no. 1 I would think mate.

• 202 GeordieTwo // Jul 14, 2013 at 8:25 PM

We were talking about an all time best Newcastle side Barras @196. No offense but how would you do that without referring to the past mate?

• 203 croftus5678 // Jul 14, 2013 at 8:25 PM

@196 cos we dont like the now lol

so much bad going about we would like to smile at some point.

• 204 Toonboy_84 // Jul 14, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Plana

The Hughie Gallagher story is quite tragic

• 205 scout // Jul 14, 2013 at 8:27 PM

When I said ginola on the left? It was just because he was missing from the team above when I posted.

• 206 GeordieTwo // Jul 14, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Aye tragic indeed Toonboy_84 @200 but could he play football!!! Ben Arfa is a mere shadow of that lad. He could burst one of the old style nets with his shot as well (not net made of nylon of course). His shot terrorized many a keeper and he could dribble a ball like a magician. Sad end but brilliant career. Look him up and learn something young lads!

• 207 Jail for Ashley // Jul 14, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Solano,
    It looks like we’re going to be outspent by a celebrity chef with a manager who was sacked because he couldn’t take us forward.

• 208 plana // Jul 14, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Toonboy84 Very true but the man was some player a true legend.

• 209 GeordieTwo // Jul 14, 2013 at 8:32 PM

I learned much of what I know about old legends from me dad. Talk to your dads and learn as well before it’s too late. Spent many an hour and many a pint with my old man. Nothing better in my opinion than to learn about our club.

• 210 scout // Jul 14, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Anyone remember Kevin Scott?

• 211 Keith in France // Jul 14, 2013 at 8:35 PM

How can any ‘fan’ say he hopes we get relegated – if he has the guts which I doubt, let him come to the first home came and tell the true fans that!
    Ed -you should block him from this blog – what a a—hole

• 212 toonarmydownsouth // Jul 14, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Geordie157
    Ben yedder is a cracking talent
    Would love to see him bought in, never though we have a DOF who would think he’s a sister product of actimel and I’m pretty sure the Toulouse owner hates us after the whole sissoko thing!

• 213 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 14, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Evening chaps,

Ashton

You’re an angry child.

Sometimes it’s nice to reminisce, we have had some sensational players in the past but we have some excellent players in our current squad and I would rate Cabaye as one of the finest CMs we have ever had, and is certainly the most capable of picking a pass since Rob Lee.

• 214 GeordieTwo // Jul 14, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Well said Ruddy @209. Hope he stays with us.

• 215 Jail for Ashley // Jul 14, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Keith,
    Ashton is one of the most repugnant characters that have ever visited this blog.

• 216 Keith in France // Jul 14, 2013 at 8:39 PM

It was Ashton who said he hoped we get relegated – come on bloggers tell him what you think!

• 217 Big Pappa Cissé // Jul 14, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Wellbeck anyone :)

• 218 Toonboy_84 // Jul 14, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Geordie2

Speak to my Dad about “the old days” quite often. He played at wallsend and used to walk to school with Beardo. I’m born and raised in Oxford but every time we come up to the toon, he shows me Beardo’s old house. A bit boring after the 15th time, but he enjoys it.

• 219 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 14, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Lads Ashton is just looking some attention, if we all tell him what a d!ck he is then he has achieved what he wants. He’s an idiot, we should just ignore him.

BPC

Welbeck is single handedly the most overrated footballer in the PL. There are no words for how much I detest him as a player.

• 220 Jail for Ashley // Jul 14, 2013 at 8:42 PM

Where does Delia Smith come in on the Forbes rich list and if we don’t spend this summer do we officially see our “debt” come down by 40M.

• 221 stuart no9 // Jul 14, 2013 at 8:42 PM

GEORGE REILLY .

• 222 Keith in France // Jul 14, 2013 at 8:42 PM

Jail for Ashley – I always enjoy your blogging – a true fan!
    Keep up the good work.

• 223 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 14, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Stuart

Reilly wasn’t at the club very long, and from what I heard struggled by and large despite scoring some very good goals. But it’s all about opinions I suppose.

• 224 GeordieTwo // Jul 14, 2013 at 8:47 PM

Toonboy @214 good to hear. I don’t know how many times I’ve heard about Jackie Milburn and the FA cup wins but I always enjoy it. A great player who should never be forgotten. I wish Shearer had at least one FA cup with us to remember as well. Both magnificent players. Along with Beardsley my 3 favourite all time with Hughie Gallacher just a player me dad heard about from his uncle who raised him.

• 225 scout // Jul 14, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Beardo was a genius with a ball, what would a Beardsley in his prime be worth in today’s market ?

• 226 Ketsbaia9 // Jul 14, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Welbeck is non-league standard. He is Man Utd’s Shola. We should no longer sign any Man Utd reject. I’d take Valencia, Nani and Kagawa though.

• 227 scout // Jul 14, 2013 at 8:51 PM

Another blast from the past des Hamilton

• 228 eaststandgeordie1982 // Jul 14, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Top 5 forwards

Shearer
    Ferdinand
    Beardsley
    Cole
    Bellamy (quinn just missed out)

Midfielders

Krul
    Given
    Harps
    Pav
    Budgie

• 229 magpie6699 // Jul 14, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Cannot understand people who wish us to be relegated – or who are angry when a loathed player has a good game “omg – he’s gone and scored 30 goals this season, now we’ll never be rid of him!” (I exaggerate somewhat!)
    I’m not the biggest fan of Pardew and certainly not JFK – but if we get top 6 next season / play well / win a cup, we can be managed by Dick Dastardly and Long John Silver for all I care.

• 230 scout // Jul 14, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Non league lol, he’s not my favourite player but he’s greater than non league. Do you honestly think fergie would stick with the lad

• 231 plana // Jul 14, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Ian Baird, Frank Pringle, and Billy. Whitehurst shocking these three make Ameobi, look good.

• 232 Jail for Ashley // Jul 14, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Thank you Keith, I was called a mackem the other day !

• 233 G // Jul 14, 2013 at 8:53 PM

@221, priceless mate, money couldn’t buy him. I remember Gerry Francis, then of QPR mouthing off that Beardo was finished. 2 months later we played them, and beardo put 2 past his lads helping them on their way back to the football league. The discreet V sign he displayed francis as he walked past him would have been worth the transfer fee on its own. Probably the best million quid the toon ever spent.

• 234 scout // Jul 14, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Mike hooper what a top bloke aswell

• 235 magpie6699 // Jul 14, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Great teams – no Stimson, Tony Cunningham or Graham Oates?

• 236 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 14, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Jail

Pipe down ye mackem ;)

• 237 scout // Jul 14, 2013 at 8:56 PM

I swear Beardsley could make a ball talk

• 238 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 14, 2013 at 8:56 PM

I know a few guys on here who wouldn’t have an all time NUFC XI without including Tony Green. From what I’ve heard, the man was a genius whose career was cut short by injury.

• 239 magpie6699 // Jul 14, 2013 at 8:56 PM

plana – think it was Pingel not Pringle – didn’t he try to wear an ear-ring and the ref made him take it out?

• 240 eaststandgeordie1982 // Jul 14, 2013 at 8:59 PM

Pedro is by far the best player ive ever seen wish we had a new pedro now.

• 241 Jail for Ashley // Jul 14, 2013 at 9:00 PM

Ruddy,
    Bumped into a pal of mine today and we both came to the conclusion that if we don’t sign anybody this summer that the coming season won’t be much different to last.

• 242 Keith in France // Jul 14, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Tony Green was a fantastic player and a true gent.
    Jimmy Smith another player you just loved to watch .

• 243 scout // Jul 14, 2013 at 9:03 PM

Best goal ever witnessed at st.james
    I was there when ginola scored that beauty against ferenvaros, must have been 1997 or round about, anyone who hasn’t seen it check u tube

• 244 sparky55 // Jul 14, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Ruddy…only me had him in me team so far…but that’s down to me age I guess…but yes…the lad was unbelievably good…the ball was glued to his feet, with very quick bursts of speed he effortlessly ghosted past the opposition and boy could he pass…short, long or whatever…he always but it on a dime….best player I’ve ever seen n a black and white shirt…just pips beardo in my book…never saw hughie so can’t comment

• 245 Jail for Ashley // Jul 14, 2013 at 9:04 PM

The two lads at NUFC.com don’t normally sensationalise things but they seem to have made a big dealbout of the Cisse saga ?

• 246 plana // Jul 14, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Mag6699 aye he did. Thanks for the name check its my flirtation with dementia to blame.

• 247 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 14, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Jail

Not sure if you’ve been on much, but I’ve been pretty much of the mindset that even if we do sign some very good players, Pardew will only ever get us to consistent mid table at best.

What’s worse is that Ashley would be delighted with consistent mid table finishes, even though it’s not exactly exciting for us as fans.

On your view that if we don’t sign anyone we’ll be in the same sort of position as last year, I’m not sure. I don’t think we’ll have the same injuries as last year but if we sign no one and Cisse gets injured we’d be buggered.

• 248 daztoon // Jul 14, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Mickey Quinn and McGhee were a great partnership banged them in for fun

• 249 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 14, 2013 at 9:09 PM

Sparky

That’s what I love about talking to people of a certain age when it comes to our great club, you get a wonderful insight into some of the great players we’ve had through the doors of St James’ down the years. Like I’ve said, I am still relatively young so I wouldn’t have the largest catalogue when it comes to discussing NUFC players from years gone by other than reading and stats etc.

• 250 sparky55 // Jul 14, 2013 at 9:10 PM

daztoon…the 5-4 against leicester when Mark McGhee scored two in extra time was the best ever…what a game that was…4-2 down with about ten minutes to go…absolutely brilliant

• 251 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 14, 2013 at 9:11 PM

Somewhat disappointing news regarding the Academy

• 252 Rotonda heights // Jul 14, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Hard to better put in to words the general mood

• 253 toonarmydownsouth // Jul 14, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Geordie two
    Think every toon fan knows about the genius and tradegy of hughie gallacher!
    Legend on the pitch, deeply troubled of it

Fair to say Newcastle have had some truly awesome players grace the pitch at SJP!
    Gallacher
    Kets
    Bernard
    Bellers
    Robert
    Big dunc
    And many many more
    And this Mr Ashley is why we expect and demand nothing but the best, our club is surrounded in a rich history of top class football, and true legends
    Not the two bob shite you serve up every week!!!

• 254 bills-son // Jul 14, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Solano @ 165 – the window isnt closed yet.

At least I nail my colours to the mast and will admit if I’m wrong – unlike you who has predicted wholesale selling of top players fir the last three windows and been proved wrong EVERY time.

• 255 scout // Jul 14, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Remember FOX he was decent, pacey winger

• 256 stuart no9 // Jul 14, 2013 at 9:16 PM

ruddy — yeah your right – he was sh/t really — haha

• 257 Jail for Ashley // Jul 14, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Ruddy,
    I’ve been working onshore for the last month in sort of a desk job so I haven’t missed a post unless it’s one of Pawls that is more thanbfive lines long or contains a team sheet, my concern is that if we don’t sign anybody it will again relay the message that we are aiming for mid table and it will be seen as a hinderance if we qualify for Europe.

• 258 G // Jul 14, 2013 at 9:18 PM

@251, yeah, he wasn’t a bad player, but if he had spent more effort on his game, and less effort on hanging round Julie’s on the Quayside, snorting up massive amounts of Columbian marching powder, I would of had a lot more time for him.

• 259 toonarmydownsouth // Jul 14, 2013 at 9:23 PM

Ruddy
    Disappointing news yes, surprising no
    He’s absolutely destroyed the youth academy under the promise of rebuilding it but surprise surprise he stopped when he relished he had to dig deep

• 260 low fell mag // Jul 14, 2013 at 9:26 PM

What a load of bollcks,why on earth would Ashley,prefer to finish lower in the league.
    You and the sad Mackem talk some crap ,yes and you know yourself who the sad Mackem is.

• 261 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 14, 2013 at 9:26 PM

Jail

I think we will sign a few players, although I did say that last year and we ended up signing Amalfitano, Bigi, Good and Anita, which was a disappointing window so I’m really not sure.

But if we have a poor window then it does send out the wrong message, but I think the players at the club currently have a feeling we’re not the most ambitious club out there and will be looking to have a good season for personal gain rather than collective benefit.

• 262 Jail for Ashley // Jul 14, 2013 at 9:28 PM

Bills,
    I seriously hope we do will in the transfer market as I will be gutted if I don’t get up there next season.

• 263 daztoon // Jul 14, 2013 at 9:29 PM

@sparky
    Yeah and Quinny’s debut 4 goals against Leeds was a great game as well.They worked well as a pair.

• 264 plana // Jul 14, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Len Shackleton was another true legend played in the fifties. Stephan Guivarch a French flop.

• 265 SeanNufc87 // Jul 14, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Lot of love for Peter Beardsley on here, my step dad was working on the airport when the team were due back, he asked the entire team to sign my hat, Beardsley was the only person to sign it. Been a hero to me ever since

True story.

• 266 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 14, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Tads

It’s in now way surprising, but when you read that the likes of Leicester, Blackburn, Bolton, Wolves and even the Mackems and Smoggies have Cat One Academies, it just shows you how far behind our youth development really is.

• 267 G // Jul 14, 2013 at 9:31 PM

@262, when we had Glen Roeder running the academy it was certainly being done the right way. I would take him back as the kids team boss, assuming he would want the gig.

• 268 stuart no9 // Jul 14, 2013 at 9:32 PM

can i just say that if you havnt seen the beardsley goal v brighton in 1984 at st james on the last game of the season take 2 mins out to go on you tube to witness what is for me the best goal ever at the park . he slides in to take the ball off the defender- collects as clean as a whistle – stand up swivels then chips the keeper from the edge of the box . it is the one and only time i have ever had an orgasm while standing watching a football match at SJP . PURE PURE QUALITY.

• 269 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 14, 2013 at 9:35 PM

G

He did seem to do a decent job. I am of the mindset that Ashley has no ambition, but if he can upgrade the academy that will be a positive, but I am not so sure.

• 270 Jail for Ashley // Jul 14, 2013 at 9:36 PM

sad low mag,
    I don’t think anybody on here with more intelligence than you which is pretty much everybody bar jeff and bob etc would suggest that Mashley wants to finish in a lowly position but what is patently obvious is that he isn’t bothered if we do.

• 271 daztoon // Jul 14, 2013 at 9:37 PM

@Stuart
    Was a great goal and was against an excellent keeper in big Joe Corrigan

• 272 plana // Jul 14, 2013 at 9:37 PM

John Robertson, Andreas Anderson both expensive flops.

• 273 solano // Jul 14, 2013 at 9:37 PM

Bills…you’ve nailed your colours to a mast on a ship that has sunk.
    I have no doubt there will be some arrivals – there has to be as we’ve already shipped people out. But I’m intrigued to know what will constitute a “sensational” signing in your book?

• 274 Ketsbaia9 // Jul 14, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Andersson was about £1m. He was a good player. Did well for Sweden too.

• 275 Ian Toon // Jul 14, 2013 at 9:40 PM

In 1925 Newcastle United paid Airdrieonians £6,500 for Hughie Gallacher. It was a club record fee. Gallacher made an immediate impact and during his first season scored 23 goals in 19 games. The following season Newcastle won the First Division league title. Gallacher, who had been made captain of the side, scored 36 goals in 38 league games.

In 1925 Newcastle United paid Airdrieonians £6,500 for the services of Hughie Gallacher. It was a club record fee. Gallacher made an immediate impact and during his first season scored 23 goals in 19 games. The following season Newcastle won the First Division league title. Gallacher, who had been made captain of the side, scored 36 goals in 38 league games.

I grew up with tales from my Grandfather of Hughie Gallacher better than Milburn and Shearer and our 1927 League winning side.

In 1925 Newcastle United paid Airdrieonians £6,500 for Hughie Gallacher. It was a club record fee. Gallacher in his first season he scored 23 goals in 19 games. The following season Newcastle won the First Division league title( top division). Gallacher, who was captain of the side, scored 36 goals in 38 league games.

• 276 scout // Jul 14, 2013 at 9:40 PM

G

Didn’t realise fox liked a night out on the prowl, excuse the pun. Ah Julie’s now that was a night out.

• 277 G // Jul 14, 2013 at 9:50 PM

@272, aye, it was a cracking night out. Fox was often there, often before a game too, which I think was one of the reasons that the club were happy to ship him out. I witnessed him hitting the powder on more than one occasion, and I’m sorry to say he wasn’t the only one from the club either.

• 278 Jail for Ashley // Jul 14, 2013 at 9:51 PM

Ian Toon,
    Did you forget you had stopped being pushy and carl fir a bit there.

• 279 OhSholaAmeobi // Jul 14, 2013 at 9:52 PM

I said no to both. One is an overrated ageing lazy greedy player, the other is potentially a rapist, went to a relegation-bound club for money and really isn’t as good as people make out – lets be honest he didn’t have a Ba-like record for QPR and it wasn’t hard to be their best player.

I want one of Gameiro, Mame Diouf, Ben Yedder. All available under £6m.

• 280 low fell mag // Jul 14, 2013 at 9:53 PM

Thankfully I joined the army instead of going offshore,because I think it has sent one individual stir crazy I mean raving bonkers.
    All he seems to do is think and dream about Mike Ashley 24/7.
    Get some help mate,there is a beautiful world out there.

• 281 santonthenewmaldini // Jul 14, 2013 at 9:54 PM

Going to see the Toon versus Kilmarnock ! Should be exciting stuff ha ha

Its actually the U21s but still got to support them when the Toon come up my way!

Going to try get tickets for a game at St James’s again possibly once a month this season see how the finances go!

• 282 plana // Jul 14, 2013 at 9:54 PM

Len White another NUFC great!

• 283 G // Jul 14, 2013 at 9:57 PM

All of this nostalgic talk of former great players makes me wonder, any of the old-hands out there believe that any of our current squad would make it onto the hallowed future-great status? I think there is potential there, but sadly it is unlikely to be reached wearing our colours.

• 284 Ian Toon // Jul 14, 2013 at 10:01 PM

JFA- Wicked – I thought it was an elephant that never forgets! Funnily enough I saw Carl at an O2 concert recently.
    I hope the rumours that we failed to obtain Category 1 status for the academy.are not true.
    Good neet.

• 285 ErnestHemingway // Jul 14, 2013 at 10:08 PM

Interesting debate on best players/XI’s.

In my opinion, no all time nufc XI is complete without peter beardsley in there. The man is/was a complete genius. Some of the things he used to attempt (and regularly achieve) were nothing short of sensational.

Alan shearer has to be in there up top with him too. Sir les and Andy Cole would push him mighty close, but shearer was as quick as Cole over ten yards and as lethal as big les was in the air. The difference was Alan very very rarely used to miss chances, where as the other two missed some absolute sitters quite regularly.

Ginolas first six months at the toon…I’ve never seen any one play as well. I remember a home game vs. Boro when he totally destroyed Neil cox, so much so, Neil cox never fully recovered from it and was sold soon after! He went a bit off the boil towards the end, but what an impact he made.

That brings me to Bob lee. Not the greatest passer of the ball, but since he left we have never had a centre midfielder who would make a run ahead of the ball with such regularity and not only that, when he received the ball in an advanced position, he knew how to finish. Lee Clark in his younger years would make similar runs but he was nicknamed jigsaw for a reason…he fell to pieces in the box! As did kieron dyer!

My team would be…

Given

Watson
    Moncur
    Albert
    Beresford

Solano
    Lee
    Green
    Ginola

Shearer
    Beardsley

Pick any seven out of hundreds of amazing players we’ve been blessed to witness wearing the black and white stripes!

P.s. Kets, explain how Marveaux is better than bob lee?!

• 286 low fell mag // Jul 14, 2013 at 10:10 PM

Sadly talking about the great players of old, and the majority of those mentioned are from the 70s onwards and ,we won diddley squat,not a sausage.
    So hopefully next season, are current players can be spoken about as the best since 1969.
    You never know,Football is a funny old game,just ask Wigan.

• 287 tom68 // Jul 14, 2013 at 10:13 PM

Ruddy

Was it not part of the Wonga sponsorship that a significant amount was put towards the academy.
    It would be an absolute disgrace if we don’t receive category 1 status

• 288 jeff // Jul 14, 2013 at 10:16 PM

Sheerer is overated snd greedy.sheerer never past lol.why do you think belmaly left?

• 289 Cool Hand Luke // Jul 14, 2013 at 10:21 PM

lol, poor Jeff.

• 290 kt97toonarmy // Jul 14, 2013 at 10:23 PM

The best toon 11well that is a very interesting 1 if im honest so many good players but here is my team with a 4-4-2 formation
    Gk- shay given
    Rb- david batty
    Cb- bobby moncur
    Cb- philiie albert
    Lb- john beresford
    Rm- davide ginola
    Cm- peter beardsly
    Cm- green
    Lm- peacock
    St- shearer
    St- milburn

That would b my team nd on the bench. Well unless some1 got injured u wouldent need 1 LOL

• 291 daztoon // Jul 14, 2013 at 10:23 PM

Ernest
    Personally I would have Ando and Woodgate instead of Watson and Moncur but the rest I could agree with

• 292 Thump // Jul 14, 2013 at 10:25 PM

@Jeff: Because he pissed Souness off once too often.

• 293 kt97toonarmy // Jul 14, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Jeff
    Shearer overated?
    On average he had over 20 goals a season 4 us in the best league in the world how can u actually say that

• 294 Fostino // Jul 14, 2013 at 10:26 PM

on a different note..just looking at our preseason friendly fixtures…its crap preparation. whilst other teams are going abroad to improve their image worldwide, were playing friendlies against poor Scottish teams . looked at arsenal team they played today, its great to see them continuously blood in new talent into their team

• 295 bollance // Jul 14, 2013 at 10:27 PM

When your opinion is not valued on the S*FC blog and u are basically ignorred what do u do… (Jeff)

• 296 potski // Jul 14, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Ian Toon

They are not rumours about the academy not getting category 1, nor is it new – been that way since last year.

We don’t actually know the reasons, and some have been quick to somehow blame Pardew and/or the style of football we play, or MA’s “lack of ambition”. But Wikipedia has this information from last year:

“Newcastle United is among those teams that run an Academy for their youth players without actually having their own youth training facility. This means that the youth teams practice at different locations, in facilities rented from universities or from the city. However, they are in the process of building their own purpose-built Academy.”

That is surprising (to me anyway), that the youth teams are not based at Benton with the senior players. That must have been the situation for years and well before MA bought the club.

Does anyone know what the situation is with building the new facilities?

• 297 Ben3arfa // Jul 14, 2013 at 10:28 PM

I really hope Gignac doesnt join us .

He is a lazy and fat player , going to make us worse if Im honest .

• 298 toonarmydownsouth // Jul 14, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Jeff
    Spot on, the all time premier league top goal scorer is overrated
    Dumbass

• 299 plana // Jul 14, 2013 at 10:33 PM

The problem with NUFC, no forward planning they get to a certain level then do not invest to move forward. They have always been this way. The great Joe Harvey had many fights over investment in players. Hughie Gallagher was sold rather than bring new players in. So nothing has changed just the owners.

• 300 toonarmydownsouth // Jul 14, 2013 at 10:33 PM

It’s amazing but 4 out of the top 10 all time PL goal scoters have played for the toon!

• 301 sparky55 // Jul 14, 2013 at 10:42 PM

TDS@296…Yep…just a shame we cud never defend and now we have a manager that doesn’t like to attack and who can’t defend so we’re knackered…happy days!

• 302 scout // Jul 14, 2013 at 10:42 PM

G
    Great days mate, wonder what fox is up to these days

• 303 ErnestHemingway // Jul 14, 2013 at 10:47 PM

Daztoon

Can’t disagree with you mate, ando and woodgate are both good shouts but I’ve got a huge soft spot for Albert! For a 6ft 3 centre half, he was so well balanced. Remember seeing him play and score in the 1994 world cup in USA and thinking we had signed a hell of a player. Woodgate was amazing, he didn’t have to tackle, his positioning was so good.

• 304 toonarmydownsouth // Jul 14, 2013 at 10:48 PM

Sparky
    It’s a shame mate but until MA packs up nothing will change, he’ll never get in a top manager or show ambition just tick along

• 305 toonarmydownsouth // Jul 14, 2013 at 10:55 PM

Ernest
    It’s a shame about woodgate
    The lad was immensely talented and had a fantastic football brain
    His ability to read the game was phenomenal, he seemed to know what a CF was going to do before the CF did!
    But unfortunately the lad just couldn’t stay fit and injuries have wrecked his career

Without the injuries he would of been one of the best CB’s this country ever had!

• 306 Thump // Jul 14, 2013 at 11:10 PM

@toonarmydownsouth: Aye but imagine how good of a coach he’ll be. Would love to snap him up, like.

• 307 jimiley // Jul 14, 2013 at 11:16 PM

Big Mike has transformed the Toon. Never a dull moment. Unfortunately, everybody is laughing at our expense. 8 year contracts, Wonga, JFK, renaming of our ground, Big Mike nicking all the money and promising to in vest all the transfer money in new players. Its a laff a minute but not for us. Anybody think we will win anything under our multi-millioaire or do we have to wait til he sells up and pockets mega bucks?

• 308 bills-son // Jul 14, 2013 at 11:16 PM

Solano – sensational would be any signing that costs more than £1M and doen’t have a birth certificate with ‘Carlton Cole’ on – according to your previous posts.

A sensational signing to me would be any signing of £10M or more or a player like Siem de Jong who fans like you say Ashley would never sanction.

Just as sensational would be Ashley refusing offers of £15M – £25M for our top players which would be another thumb in the eye to posters like you. Having said that I’d sell Cabaye in a flash for £25M.

• 309 toonarmydownsouth // Jul 14, 2013 at 11:18 PM

Thump
    True mate but can’t see fat ash coughing on him as a coach in our shabby set up!!!

• 310 RonVanDam // Jul 14, 2013 at 11:20 PM

I think we will start signing players in the next 7 days. We have just over 5 weeks before the window closes and if something needs to happen, it has to happen this week

• 311 jimiley // Jul 14, 2013 at 11:22 PM

We will sign Bent and one other. If Cabaye goes for 20 million, we will sign somebody for 10 million. But we will win nowt under this owner. I think we all know that. Players like Bent win nowt.

• 312 outsidethebox // Jul 14, 2013 at 11:27 PM

as i understand it academy status reviewed only every two year ..so no change next inspection 2014..
    dave hollins
    d craig woodgate albert a kennedy
    beardsley eastham allchurch ginola
    shearer white..
    not picked for consistency but on their day the best..

• 313 jimiley // Jul 14, 2013 at 11:28 PM

We cannot get quality through the door because we will not pay the going rate nor the wages. It is easier to keep your best players and we need to keep them otherwise Mike’s Toon will get relegated and that would be a disaster. So he is more likely to resist offers because he cannot get the quality replacements in. Which top player wants to work under Percy, Big Mike and the tightest owner in the league?

• 314 RonVanDam // Jul 14, 2013 at 11:37 PM

I would keep Cabaye for another season. We dont have a player right now who can win us games from deadball situations and i like his partnership with Cisse when he feeds him through balls. I would like to see De Jong at the club and alternate positions between the two.

If we end up getting De Jong, i would use 4-3-1-2 formation

Krul

Debs – Mbwia – Collo – Santon

Sissoko – Cabs – Arfa

Jong

Cisse (new Striker)

De Jong would suit as a a free roaming #10. We would then have Collo controlling the backs, Cabs controlling the Mids and Jong working with Strikers. We’ll have a leader in each part of our play and would help us immensely if the team works this way

• 315 jimmysmith // Jul 14, 2013 at 11:39 PM

I’m assuming Kinnear being on holiday doesn’t mean we were out of deals in that time. Just got nothing over the line and perhaps missed out on one or two.

It really is astonishing to take time off at this time of the year if you’re job is to get deals done and you’ve been in said job a week. I actually find it hard to believe, but that’s the siege mentality I find myself in as a result of this ownership, or this blog. I can’t quite figure out which.

• 316 Rooster // Jul 14, 2013 at 11:40 PM

Bills, I have stood up for MA on many occasions, but he makes it bloody difficult at times, like at this moment in time when most have their backs up, and with some justification as well, ive been to war many times arguing MA`s case, but we keep getting the electric cattle prod treatment from time to time.

I thought we would have someone signed by this stage in the window, that said I still think we will bring in a good striker (GOMIS) and hopefully a class winger in (WIJNALDUM) they are the two I would like and if someone else comes along then that’s fine, im not overly hopefull for more than two more through the door, and I know quite a lot don’t think anyone will be signed, the truth is we simply have to get two players in these positions for starters.

It looks like our friend Shola is being kept, hes just like an old pet you just cant and wont get rid ov, personally a nice kid but he has had far to many chances and 47 goals in 14 years mean he has to go, but he wont as AP loves the kid.

All in all I do believe MA isn’t the evil matriarch that a lot do, I do believe we have a decent squad even now, who just need a good kick up the butt, we do need a few more in as I have said at the least.

We have our work cut out at times and there will be other times when in his wisdom he decides to get the cattle prong out, I understand fully its a business, it can be tough love, a lot will always have their knives in for him that wont change whatever happens, we go in to another chapter season 2013/2014, hold on tight.

• 317 HAZZY1 // Jul 14, 2013 at 11:47 PM

Hi peps just to let u know the CB I was talking about being in italy was Rolando I was told we atched him play for napoli to see if he could find his form again and we were impressed as for De Jong talks r still on going but fee still has not been agreed also the ST from france im being told is Gomis ill get back to you all when I hear more.

• 318 archaeomag // Jul 14, 2013 at 11:47 PM

@ jimiley

We’ve won nowt under any owner I can remember . .
    [apart from the model bridge]

• 319 ErnestHemingway // Jul 14, 2013 at 11:54 PM

Tads

Woodgate would have been one of the games greats if it wasn’t for his injuries.

One of my favourite players of all time us Chris waddle. I didn’t put him in my XI as we didn’t see the best of him at the toon. Big jack preferred tony cunnigham and the likes up front! But at Marseille he was sensational. He could open a can of sardines with his left peg.

If you think we could’ve built our team around him, beardo and gazza….what a team we could’ve had!

So for those ashley apologists who like a healthy bank balance and selling the odd top player, let this be a warning to you. I want to see all of nufcs assets on the pitch, not in the bank.

• 320 NewcastleMole // Jul 14, 2013 at 11:57 PM

Thinking back though.

At the time if you were Mike Ashley why are you buying Newcastle?

You support Spurs.

You are a recluse who avoids the media/press.

Newcastle is a club famed for spending cash left right and centre.

The fans are hungry for success.

Newcastle is a Passionate footballing City.
    ——————————————————–

I can see 3 possibilities he wanted to be Mr Popular after years in the background he thought the time was right to say “Hello world im Mike Ashley”

He wanted to be able to say to fellow businessmen ect. “I own a football club” And have the respect & prestige that brings.

He wanted to use the club as a platform to boost Sports Direct though, Clothing/Business links, Advertising, Merchandise.

Personally i think it’s a combination of the above. And after the honeymoon period ended he has been able to differentiate Business and Football Club Business. Nobody got rich owning a Football club.

• 321 wynsleap // Jul 15, 2013 at 12:14 AM

Coming late into this one fellas but as an oldie here’s some that can’t be left out of the best teams – Len White, Bobby Mitchell, Milburn, Allchurch, Hilley, Hollins, the best of the lot Tony Green, Supermac, Stan Anderson, Jim Iley, David Craig, Bob Moncur as well as Shearer and Beardsley.
    As for the worst where do you start – Billy Day, Keith Kettleborough, Alan Kirkman, Graham Oates, Kevin Dillon, Pat Heard, Glen Keeley, Bobby Shinton, Paul Cannell, Billy Rafferty, Glyn Hodges and the really, unbelievably bad Wayne Feraday … and that’s just off the top of the head.

• 322 stuart no9 // Jul 15, 2013 at 12:22 AM

wyn — surprised you didnt mention george reilly in your “worst ever “

• 323 potski // Jul 15, 2013 at 12:22 AM

Jimmy

Why is it “astonishing” to take a holiday at this time of the year? Millions do it, mainly for the weather or because of school holidays.

Joe, we are told, had the holiday pre-planned, and let’s imagine for a minute that perhaps, just perhaps, there was a very good reason why he couldn’t cancel it and take it some other time?

Weather? Nice in Italy now, I’m there now:). But I guess he could afford to cancel and take the missus to somewhere more exotic once the window closes.

Schools? He’s 66, surely he doesn’t have kids still at school?

No, his only child was 40 when he died of cancer two years ago.

But he left two grandchildren under ten, who live with their mother in USA. Do you think it is possible, strange I know, that the man wanted to spend some time with his grandchildren while they are off school? And just possible that his new employer said yes?

OMG!! The man has a family and a life away from football, how dare he. What if there had been some development with one of our transfer targets? Surely, the don’t have mobile phones and Tinternet in Italy, do they?

• 324 stuart no9 // Jul 15, 2013 at 12:29 AM

potski — he shouldnt have taken the job if he wasnt going to be here to do it. Do managers go on holiday on the first day of the season ? the answer is no .

previous post: Newcastle Expecting Bid For Their Top Midfielder

next post: Can Kinnear Get A Striker And Defender In Soon?