The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Yawns – Slow Slow Summer For Newcastle Fans

5:10 pm, Monday, July 15th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 255 Comments

We didn’t expect a lot of signings this summer, given that we brought in five good Frenchmen in January, but this summer has to be the slowest we’ve experienced since we started this blog back in April, 2007.

darren bent

Darren Bent – Newcastle balking at fee – that’s a surprise

And with Joe Kinnear’s announcement as Director of Football, having a specific person in charge of transfers, we would have thought that would have provided some impetus and momentum to get things moving in the transfer market, and get the two or three players we needed through the door this summer.

And then when Joe Kinnear said he was the best Director of Football in England, and could get any manager anywhere in the world on the phone, we maybe should have been more upbeat – but somehow we weren’t, as it seemed another example of Joe’s delusions about himself. :(

But no, nothing has happened other than we seem to have missed out on two of our summer striker targets in Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, who went to Borussia Dortmund, and Wilfried Bony of Vitesse who Swansea were able to afford at £12M, but we suppose was too much for Newcastle, although it’s not clear we were really after him.

And there is some news today that Newcastle are balking at the £8M or the £6M Aston Villa are asking for 29 year-old Darren Bent – and that will not be very surprising to most of our readers.

It’s all very good to get bargains, but as we’ve said before, sometimes you just have to pay out a decent fee for a good player, and we had the ridiculous saga last summer when Newcastle refused to sign Mathieu Debuchy from Lille because of the transfer fee.

But we’d love to have found out what fee Newcastle paid in January for Debuchy, and what fee Lille wanted last summer, and we would bet there’s not too much difference, if any.

Perception is reality – and the perception this summer is that Newcastle are moving like snails in this summer’s transfer market.

But hey, we have to look on the positive side of things, and it’s not like we need a lot of players brought in this summer, and at least Joe Kinnear hasn’t given another one of those daft interviews – not yet anyway – and we at least have to be thankful for that. :D

I feel a lot better now.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

255 responses so far ↓

• 1 SecretSausage // Jul 15, 2013 at 5:12 PM

jesper,
    You are right. I nearly didn’t bother posting it.
    But what was interesting was his enthusiasm for the situation. It was as if they had mapped something out and it is running very smoothly and is going to work.
    I asked about PEA and he said he couldn’t say much about it but that what I’d read was probably true but that it wouldn’t affect any plans as it was expected.

• 2 SecretSausage // Jul 15, 2013 at 5:12 PM

• 3 SecretSausage // Jul 15, 2013 at 5:12 PM

and SECOND

• 4 SecretSausage // Jul 15, 2013 at 5:13 PM

OMG and THIRD

• 5 SecretSausage // Jul 15, 2013 at 5:13 PM

I’ll stop it there

• 6 Sazzer // Jul 15, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Rafik Djebbour – The Terrorist of Olympiacos

• 7 kevymartins // Jul 15, 2013 at 5:14 PM

@Secret sausage , let me stop you right there, every ITK has the same problem, they can never name their source so you tell me ”who your guy is” and I will believe it, but if you can’t then I will go on about my business and if you get anything right I will just take it as a good guess. Don’t take it the wrong way or anything just me and a lot other people’s opinion.

• 8 Markaccus // Jul 15, 2013 at 5:14 PM

SecretSausage

Best blogger name ever.
    Also a game Jimmy Saville used to play,
    and as someone else said, a game loic remy wasnt very good at!

• 9 Sazzer // Jul 15, 2013 at 5:14 PM

NUFCfans ?@nufcfans
    Greek press – #NUFC have “made a bid” for Olympiakos striker Rafik Djebbour. He’s 29, Algerian international, top scorer in Greece. #Rumours

• 10 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 15, 2013 at 5:14 PM

croftus

I agree with Cisse and I really want us to bring another top striker that can play instead of him or as well as him. We have Goofy and Shola/Campbell up there too so that would be a must for me.

Hopefully Goofy and Ben Arfa can weigh in with a few more goals this season but I also want another player in that position who can weigh in with a few goals.

I’ve said since the beginning of the window that I want to see a top striker and an exciting winger/attacking midfielder brought in. I’d be more than happy if the latter can also play upfront, but not so happy if we combine that into just one player…

• 11 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 15, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Sazzer

Come on…we know that’s complete rubbish. No way are we going to sign a 29 year old with no experience of the PL.

• 12 BandB // Jul 15, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Jail,

As you might recall, I was a worried as you last summer that hubris was at work within the inner rectum (sorry..I meant sanctum)
    They admitted later they’d under-cooked in the summer, and tried to put it right in January. What they must not now be allowed to do now is claim they did THIS summer’s business early, and I will dance on the first apologist who offers this as a reason. They can’t have it both ways. We still need players.

• 13 SecretSausage // Jul 15, 2013 at 5:18 PM

OK Kevy,
    My sauce on that one was Alan Pardew. But if I’ve no useful info I won’t post it. I didn’t take offence either. It’s no probs.

• 14 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 15, 2013 at 5:19 PM

I see that Gouffran is the latest player to claim we’re good enough to win a cup.

Goofy, we are. But we won’t.

• 15 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 15, 2013 at 5:22 PM

JfA

Please do point out where I took it to the extremes!!

I think if you assume the top 4 will be Utd, City, Chelsea and Arsenal, I’m afraid I still think we’re a distance away from Spurs and Liverpool. That’s mainly because they have bigger squads who have been playing together for longer and experiencing successes that our club haven’t had for a hell of a long time. I’m not saying that we couldn’t sneak top 6 but even if we spend £50M, I’d still say that we’d be outsiders.

I think we’ll make a £12-15M investment this summer, I really do. And I think the target should be 7th above Everton. If we are exceptional or a top 6 club is dismal then you never know…

For me, top 6 would be excellent, 7th/8th would be good, 9th/10th would be just about acceptable if we are close to getting higher and anything below that means that the manager has to go.

• 16 kevymartins // Jul 15, 2013 at 5:22 PM

@SecretSausage You post what you wan’t man, it’s the nufcblog, just because me and many a few others doesn’t agree with it doesn’t mean the rest of the guys won’t.

Personally I have said all along be patient and the signings will come no point in rushing it nor over paying.

• 17 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 15, 2013 at 5:24 PM

Spurs haven’t experienced sustained long term success. A few seasons ago they finished something like 11th and now they are realistically challenging the top 4. Why? Because of smart investment, ambitious ownership and intelligent management.

None of which we have at our club.

• 18 Jail for Ashley // Jul 15, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Repost
    TDsarf,Why do you always take it to the extremes, we’re not asking to sign a load of players just the three or four we all know we need and on the flip side of where to target why should a team that finished fifth target top ten when a 12 to 15 M investment would have at least given us hope of finishing in a Euro spot, and please don’t mention Leeds or Portsmouth because around that amount wasvspent in January andas far as I know we didn’t get docked ten points for spending it.

• 19 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 15, 2013 at 5:26 PM

croftus

The thing about our club is that I think it should be a very exciting club to join. All of the facts point to the fact that we are the 7th/8th biggest club in the PL right now, that’s just outside the really lucrative European places. There have been plenty of comments from ex players about how special it was to be part of our club and how loved they were…can you imagine how wonderful it will be for the players who win the next trophy for us?

So for sheer enjoyment of playing football, it should be a fantastic project for them. We’re a big enough club for players to get plenty of recognition for national teams and also CL teams if they are desperate for the latter too.

• 20 toonarmydownsouth // Jul 15, 2013 at 5:27 PM

The truth
    Ahh I see so instead of calling him on his crass snide little barbs before he starts cowering like a school child I should of attempt to educate him on his shortcomings!
    Righto

• 21 SecretSausage // Jul 15, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Kevy,
    I agree with you. There are too many pretending to be ITK. Im not ITK but I happen to bump into people and they tell me stuff thats all.
    You are right the signings will come. Im quite excited.

• 22 croftus5678 // Jul 15, 2013 at 5:29 PM

@16 kevy

well carr is great at getting just the right players in and does not have many that do not make the grade (for the main team)so you may be right.

others (which include myself) are just scared after what happened last summer after we did not sign anyone and i think we do have some right to be a little scared tbh after all the time we spent on remy to get nothing and pea “aparently” was our first choice this year.

75% of me is sure we will get a striker in though but that chance of not will not go away untill we do.

• 23 Jail for Ashley // Jul 15, 2013 at 5:30 PM

TDsarf,
    You tell people not to panic and expect us to sign loads of players which is extreme as we only want a few.

• 24 Sazzer // Jul 15, 2013 at 5:31 PM

10 CL league games :-P

Agent link most likely cause he doesn’t look that good even though he has record of 156/78

• 25 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 15, 2013 at 5:33 PM

Ruddy

Spurs finishes in the last 10 years have been
    5th
    5th
    4th
    5th
    4th
    8th
    11th
    5th
    5th
    9th

That looks like sustained long-term success to me. I don’t mean CL football every year, Spurs simply aren’t good enough for that yet, but they’ve definitely been catching Arsenal up.

And I agree with you…smart investment is crucial and I’d say we’ve done pretty well with that. Yes, they should have signed a defender and an attacking player last summer, yes they should have signed a striker after Ba left but the only clubs who always get the signing they want are those who grossly overpay.

I’d say we do have ambitious ownership but in a different way to Shepherd. As for intelligent management…we’ll know in a few months…

• 26 Indian Magpie // Jul 15, 2013 at 5:33 PM

What does a guy need to do to be taken seriously

Sack Pardew

• 27 foggonridiculous // Jul 15, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Welcome secret sausage (boy does that sound wrong!!)

and fair play to you for taking kevymartins post in the right spirit.

With a bit of give and take hopefully we can all get along.

on another angle…with it being so slow news wise I don’t expect it will be too long before the press run the:

“This Toon ain’t Big Enough For both Of us!”

headline be it Pardew to JFK or vice-versa.
    I have dusted off my “Ignoring it” hat in readiness.

• 28 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 15, 2013 at 5:35 PM

JfA

When did I say anything about signing loads of players? I just said that Arsenal and Utd haven’t actually signed anyone of note yet. I’d be happy if we signed 2 players of note to be honest, though it would be great if we got 3 or 4.

• 29 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 15, 2013 at 5:37 PM

TDS

Will it really take a few months for you to come to the conclusion that Pardew is woefully out of his depth? I’m wondering whether you are incredibly tolerant or just very naive.

I disagree with you about the ambition of our owner, and I’ve made that point very clear.

Smart investment isn’t just about the quality of the first XI, our squad depth is poor in terms of quality and quantity, and the lack of movement with the academy is very worrying.

In many ways, Spurs are run much better than us and unless our owner changes his ethos or we get a new owner, that sad fact will not change any time soon.

• 30 Markaccus // Jul 15, 2013 at 5:38 PM

According to the adverts on my screen, its time to learn hebrew.

• 31 Iain Dowie // Jul 15, 2013 at 5:41 PM

we are not in the market for average players. Most the players on the list are based in the premierleague. Stop worrying about us not signing anyone just yet, talks are ongoing with 3 players, 2 being Bent and Remy as every body is aware of due to the press. however i know for sure that we are interested in Victor Moses from Chelsea.

i know nothing from inside the club i am just fan, however my mate works at chelsea and has just told me.

• 32 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 15, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Ruddy

Our squad depth was just fine in terms of quantity when we also had Perch and Simpson. In fact it would have been way to bulky to fit into the 25 rule. We currently have 26 players that we’d need to register so at least 2 have to go before we can sign anyone (Gosling will be one I presume).

As for the lack of movement with the academy, there was never going to be any movement that would be made public. The next thing that we’ll hear is that either Newcastle has been granted Category One status or Newcastle has been demoted to Category Two. There’s no middle ground there.

As for Pardew, he’s our manager and he got us to 5th place. Changing managers is definitely no guarantee for success so I’d rather see what he can do rather than make a rash decision. Every fan seems to have a different idea of who they want instead, some delusional (Rudi Garcia, Benitez), others over-confident (Poyet, Clark). There is no consensus, there is no Bobby Robson waiting in the wings.

Spurs are currently better run than us and it takes a hell of a long time to get there. The academy is taking time to sort out, and this has been neglected for years, the scouting network has been improving, commercial deals are improving (financially at least) but there’s more to sort out.

The only way to catch Spurs rapidly would be massive investment. That’s not going to happen with MA.

• 33 repo // Jul 15, 2013 at 5:48 PM

I heard we wont sign anybody this summer and a couple more players going out. So dont build up your hopes..

• 34 the truth will out // Jul 15, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Are you capable of that Markaccus it will be a truly great accomplishment unless you are making a snide remark to our Jewish brethren

• 35 Sazzer // Jul 15, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Iain Dowie
    You know anything about Piazon, Josh McEachran, ?

• 36 Thump // Jul 15, 2013 at 5:51 PM

@Indian: You’re still here?

• 37 Indian Magpie // Jul 15, 2013 at 5:52 PM

• 38 kevymartins // Jul 15, 2013 at 5:53 PM

@repo people are just anxious, I for 1 came straight on the laptop as soon as got got home from tech today,thinking jfk is back it’s time to conquer the world with our signing’s but that’s not the case I think/hope there just taking there time, making sure they bring in the right players.

• 39 Markaccus // Jul 15, 2013 at 5:54 PM

Wtf, the truth????

It is one of the ads on my screen. Why would i randomly have a pop at the jewish??

Your sentence structure and logic process almost exactly match john tudor. I am willing to stick my neck ot and say you are he.

• 40 Bambams // Jul 15, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Off to play football. ….. Hope to hear some good news when I get back.
    Just one or two signings would make my week ….
    Wont hold my breath :-)

• 41 the truth will out // Jul 15, 2013 at 5:57 PM

No i was only referring to the way post are misconstrued on here .I’m sure there are a lot of posts can seem that way ,surely you can see that.

• 42 FatmanJoe // Jul 15, 2013 at 5:58 PM

I hate this off-season lark. Everyone gets so impatient, myself included, and then takes the frustration out on their fellow fans.

We all know what we need. So does the club. It was obvious we went in for PEA so we are clearly willing to invest big money on the right players this summer.

We now just have to try to be patient and hope we get a real striker in through the door. Preferably two.

• 43 Jail for Ashley // Jul 15, 2013 at 5:58 PM

399ToonDarnSarf // Jul 15, 2013 at 5:05
    JfA
    That is true! But I still don’t think that’s a reason to panic and start signings loads of players.
    mmmmm.

• 44 Sazzer // Jul 15, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Deadline Day ?@DeadlineDay
    Jack Cork to Newcastle. #NUFC

• 45 nufcursed // Jul 15, 2013 at 5:59 PM

if cissé leaves as well, we will be relegated.
    all clubs around us improving except us.
    look at norwich: fer, van wolfswinkel,…
    with hughton in charge they are now miles ahead of us…

so sad to see newcastle struggling to keep up with sides like norwich, swansea,…

we have not even signed a single player!
    we’re the laughing stock of the premier league! AGAIN!

this season will be a relegation battle again.
    this club is fked up, in fact it’s cursed..

ashley is destroying NUFC

• 46 the truth will out // Jul 15, 2013 at 5:59 PM

If not why comment on a random advert on your screen

• 47 Newcastle for alltid // Jul 15, 2013 at 6:00 PM

As much as I want a new signing to be announced, some of you should take a step back and look at the terrific signings we made in January. Have some of you forgotten them?

The players we brought in then are good, young players. I feel like they are still in the learning process of what it takes to play in the EPL. If we can get them up to speed, and keep our key players fit, we do have a very capable squad – unless it`s hindered by dreadful tactics. My point is that if the players we have can build relations on the pitch, we won`t have too much to worry about. It`s not like teams like Swansea and Norwich are shooting ahead of us, we made some of our planned summer targets ours in January.

We do need a striker or two, though. Cissè mustn`t be too comfortable playing week in week out. Competition is needed, and if we can get 1 or 2 strikers in without losing key players, we`re in good shape.

This blog is so negative it`s frightening at times.

• 48 the truth will out // Jul 15, 2013 at 6:01 PM

I thought this was and indeed is a football blog.ps do you get adverts offering free eye test or online games.

• 49 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 15, 2013 at 6:01 PM

Markaccus

The adverts on my screen either seem to be women cooking or telling me how to date local slags…I must be a misogynist…

• 50 Sazzer // Jul 15, 2013 at 6:01 PM

Didn’t he sign new deal with Southampton?

• 51 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 15, 2013 at 6:03 PM

JfA

Yep. Not referring to the fans panicking in that respect. More in comparison to some of the other PL clubs that sign loads of players and hope some of them are decent. We just need a few players of a very particular type. PEA would have been great, Kone would have been an ok deal too.

I understand why they want to wait for the right player at the right price. They will be judged if they fail though…

• 52 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 15, 2013 at 6:04 PM

JfA

Sorry…to be clear, I was saying the club shouldn’t panic.

Anyway off out for a bit.

• 53 FatmanJoe // Jul 15, 2013 at 6:05 PM

47 agreed

nufcursed – your name just says it all really!

• 54 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 15, 2013 at 6:06 PM

TDS

Under 21s don’t need to be registered in order to be able to play, so if we discount these players we have ample room in the squad to fit in new signings.

• 55 Markaccus // Jul 15, 2013 at 6:07 PM

I commented on for the reason you outlined…. this is a football blog so an advert to learn hebrew was surprising. I suppose it could be costrued as a rasist remark…..if you are a bit thick. Otherwise it is clearly not a dig at the jews.

• 56 jayphoto // Jul 15, 2013 at 6:08 PM

He might be 29 but Rafik Djebbour is a very newcastle signing! Olympiakos and Greek football in general is bankrupt! They are desperate for sales and hes their high earner (still nothing compared to prem wages) they need him off the wage bill! Hes very very quick, very direct and can play central, left or right! French born too! 29 might be above Ashleys blue print but this lad for 1-2m makes him a possibility! If he came as a 3rd striker along with a Remy then Id be really happy! Hes a player similar to ben arfa who tries to make things happen! Wasnt out of his depth playing in the champions league either so don’t be fooled by the poor standard of greece football!

• 57 Miguel // Jul 15, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Shola to boro

• 58 Markaccus // Jul 15, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Tds. I now have asian lasses or cougars to chose from

• 59 the truth will out // Jul 15, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Mine are,men only gamers, warning enter at your own risk.This blog should have that warning, hahah.

• 60 Ketsbaia9 // Jul 15, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Think Man Utd should be going for better than Fabregas. Players like Xabi Alonso and Ganso are far more superior.

• 61 Iain Dowie // Jul 15, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Sazzer

He just sent me a text saying that we have contacted Chelsea regarding Victor Moses. I haven’t spoke to him since he moved down London after completing our degree at Uni. Hes a sound lad and can be trusted. He hasn’t said anything on what Chelsea make of the offer.

• 62 FatmanJoe // Jul 15, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Even without the under 21s – we don’t have that many, we still have a pretty full squad. So in order to improve the first team squad we need to get rid of a few.

• 63 Toonboy_84 // Jul 15, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Sazzer

Sorry to but in on ya convo.

I’m not itk at all. And never claimed to be.

But on mceachran. After all the talk of him the other day. I asked his dad (who I know quite well) and he said no contact from the toon but josh does like the north east.

• 64 BandB // Jul 15, 2013 at 6:11 PM

TDS

Perch and Simpson gave us quantity. I presume you mean they were making up the numbers? Never mind the quality, feel the width?
    I don’t believe the academy will be fixed.That would require time and investment. I don’t think that’s where we are right now.
    Clark represents over-confidence? That’s an interesting statement. I’d like you to explain why you regard that as so.
    Spurs….I remember a time, not long ago, when I turned up expecting us to beat them.
    This crap-storm didn’t just fall out of the sky. It was the result of policy.
    Hubris is crass and arrogant over-confidence in one’s own abilities, especially when imagining one is going to dish out a humiliating lesson to one’s detractors.
    I’d say that’s where we actually are, in the form of our trio of competing egos.

• 65 the truth will out // Jul 15, 2013 at 6:16 PM

Tbh, i think its some sort of a preferential site tracker not a bit of bother to me.

• 66 Markaccus // Jul 15, 2013 at 6:17 PM

I can now apparently buy a solar panel for my asian lady! I knew they were high tech in the far east but wow!

• 67 Ian Toon // Jul 15, 2013 at 6:17 PM

JFA – @ 18. That’s what linguistic acrobats do go to extremes , they argue a point that was not made. In essence moving the goalposts.

• 68 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jul 15, 2013 at 6:17 PM

Sausage…lets hope we are in for something good and everything id going according to plan (so to speak)

…most admit I am no big fan of NUFC when it comes to decision making and planning, but hi maybe I’ll be pleasantly surprised this time around ;)

• 69 jayphoto // Jul 15, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Bloody hell kets! Fabregas is a top top player! Actually think if he comes back to the premier league he’ll be the leagues best centre mid! I can’t think of a better one, maybe Yaya? You talk rubbish, thank god you are not a scout

• 70 FatmanJoe // Jul 15, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Haris Vu?ki?
    Shane Ferguson
    James Tavernier
    Mehdi Abeid
    Jak Alnwick
    Adam Campbell

6 under 21s still leaves a squad of 25 if I’ve counted correctly.

• 71 Sazzer // Jul 15, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Iain Dowie
    It makes sense that we are at least enquiring about him. Not sure Chelsea would let us have him on the cheap though.

Toonboy_84
    If you have or claim so feel free to join in. I asked Dowie about him and Piazon since they are talented lads but their situation like Moses doesn’t look that well. So assume their will be transfer news about them. Loan deals most likely.

• 72 jayphoto // Jul 15, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Think players like Jack Cork, Josh McEacheran, Tom Ince can actually become top players! Problem is that they get over valued! Ince at 8m when we paid £750,000 for gouffran? Ince isnt 10x the player of gouff yet costs 10x the price! Cork for 5-7m? When we paid 2m for sissoko who is younger? Theres plenty of young talent in england but they get brought up by big clubs and paid big money and then ruined when they should join lower premier league teams and get game time! Southampton are an excellent example of a club that lets players develop! Chelsea at the moment have some unbelievable youth players, chalobah for one who will never break through under Mourinho but if they moved to a club that gave them a chance could be world class!

• 73 FatmanJoe // Jul 15, 2013 at 6:28 PM

So, to make space for new signings we would first need to get rid of the deadwood, like Kinnear said.

For me that’s Gosling, Romain and Shola. That gives us three spaces to bring in two strikers and a defender.

• 74 Sazzer // Jul 15, 2013 at 6:30 PM

• 75 Toonboy_84 // Jul 15, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Sazzer

I’m very biased towards josh. My little bro used to knock around with him at school. Known him for years but never see him anymore. See his dad quite regular though.

I must say that he has gone right off the boil recently after looking really promising.

He definitely needs to go out on loan again. Very good touch and range of passing on the lad.

• 76 FatmanJoe // Jul 15, 2013 at 6:31 PM

Good photograph but my immediate thought was – isn’t Kinnear the one driving the trolley and Pards is just along for the ride…

• 77 Ian Toon // Jul 15, 2013 at 6:33 PM

The rumour persists that the toon will lose out for Category One status for the academy but that Sunderland and Middlesbrough will secure it.

We were one of 23 clubs, 17 of whom were from last season’s Premier League and six from the Championship, who applied for the top Category One status.

It’s strongly rumoured that we are one of three teams who have been given an indication that they have failed to obtain the top status.

Wolves and Crystal Palace are believed to be the other two that have been advised that they are likely to be awarded category two.

PR is abysmal at the club but why the silence, other than acute embarrassment.

• 78 Sazzer // Jul 15, 2013 at 6:36 PM

jayphoto
    Both Sissoko and Gouffran would have been free agents in the summer. Compare with what we paid for Anita and Mbiwa instead.

• 79 jayphoto // Jul 15, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Off the top of my head, chelsea alone have chalobah, Kalas, Kiwomya, loftus -cheek and lalkovic in their reserves that are miles away from ever playing for chelsea whos development would be better served elsewhere! Crazy that players like marin and romeu have no place in their 25 man squad! Moses will struggle under mourinho to get game time, id love him at nufc tho, hes better than what we have, chases everything, has pace and looks for stuff to happen! Think Wilf Zaha on a loan wouldn’t be a bad shout either! Best player in the championship last year! Thought he was better than Vydra because watford were a much stronger side overall than palace! Palace relied on zaha every time i saw him, he was often treble marked which created space for bolasie and murray! Without zaha for me palace wouldnt have been top 10

• 80 FatmanJoe // Jul 15, 2013 at 6:37 PM

Both are internationals though and highly rated in their country of origin. If Anita is utilised correctly rather than filling it like last season he will become a top player for us.

• 81 plana // Jul 15, 2013 at 6:39 PM

The dead wood will be shipped out first. Then the new signings will start arriving

• 82 toon kk // Jul 15, 2013 at 6:39 PM

I don’t think MA wants to spend in this tranfer window, maybe if a first team player is sold that will cover the cost of a new player and some left over for MA account. He knows we haven’t Europe this season so why spend. (Penny pinching).

• 83 FatmanJoe // Jul 15, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Because he knows that each place in the league is worth loads more money and last season with a few more players we would have got a lot higher. He tried to buy PEA for 12-15m so he’s clearly willing to spend money.

• 84 jayphoto // Jul 15, 2013 at 6:43 PM

@sazzer even then, anita and MYM have won titles, both have played in the champions league and given good account of themselves and both have more than one cap for top band national teams! Tom ince is comparable with Romain Amalfitano! He was the best player in ligue 2 when we signed him! Think ince is twice the player of amalfitano but on the pitch theyve acheived the same! Florian Thauvin moved for 3.5m and is similar to ince in ability but has shown more against higher level opposition than ince! Watched that lad perform well against psg and lyon for bastia! There is no way ince should cost 5m more! English players are too over valued

• 85 toon kk // Jul 15, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Fatmanjoe
    There’s no proof of that it’s just speculation.

• 86 FatmanJoe // Jul 15, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Which is why the England national team is so pants. Top english players cost so much money so the only teams that can afford them are the top teams who them whack them on the bench. They then don’t play regularly and can’t compete with other national players who play week in week out.

• 87 FatmanJoe // Jul 15, 2013 at 6:50 PM

I agree that there was never any evidence that we were definitely in for him, but there never is anyway, is there!?

Most sources seem fairly confident we did though and the player himself was flirting with the idea of NUFC until the BD came calling.

• 88 Sazzer // Jul 15, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Toonboy_84
    He’s still only 20. If he doesn’t fuck up outside pitch, our inside his mind, or get injured etc. He will be regular in PL with time and practice.

• 89 Toon1978 // Jul 15, 2013 at 6:55 PM

See them lot down the road are close to signing the Italian. Really time for this club to stop all the talk and walk the walk. Time to spend some money Mr Ashley. S.D.Jong, Remy, Bent and Sinclair……happy days!

• 90 Dannyo // Jul 15, 2013 at 6:58 PM

@Toon1978
    Quality over quantity mate. Sunderland are signing mostly average unknown. I believe a certain Steve Bruce did that once…
    Oh! And they have Di Canio for manager.

• 91 jayphoto // Jul 15, 2013 at 6:58 PM

Shame the home grown rule only means english players are likely to make up squad numbers 17-25 aswell! Think England could actually have a top national team if players were developed better and got game time! Just look at how Bale has responded to game time at Spurs! Think a move to man utd 4 years ago would have ended him! Current players i think are being under developed or havent been developed to the top of their ability because of lack of games are welbeck, walcott (plays but rarely in his best position up front) ox-chamberlain, Martin Kelly, tom cleverly, Moses, McEacheran, Rodwell (tho had injuries) jonjo shelvey, andre Wisdom, raheem stirling! Can probs add zaha and butland to this list next season tempted to add adam campbell too! All players who could be developed to a top standard but miss out on game time due to high priced foreign imports! Think all of these players should be playing 25-35 games a season to best maximise their development yet are playing 10-15!

• 92 Indian Magpie // Jul 15, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Jayphoto

18-25

• 93 toon kk // Jul 15, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Apart from a few exceptions most of the talented players in the premier league come from abroad, so its not all about the price. Well with MA it is.

• 94 jayphoto // Jul 15, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Think sunderland will struggle next season! Expect a slow start as their players get used to premier league pace and they need time to gel and a slow finish as the players tire due to not being used to having no winter break! If they can manage to stay up theyll be a better team the following season once the players have adapted as they are signing talented players with lots of potential! Something villa did last season, risked a bad season but think theyll be a good side this year fr the experience! Reckon for us MYM and sissoko will be colossal this season as they had from jan to adapt! Also expect Bigirimana , debuchy and Haidara to be much better players! If Cabaye leaves i dont think we need a replacement, actually think Anita had more good games than cabs last year and with games was really getting some form, was unfairly dropped! Would be perfect in a 4-3-3! Hoping to see Santon play higher up the field also, to me he looks a perfect right winger?! If we play players in their actual positions ie: gouff upfront, Marv as #10, then we are a top 8 side regardless of any signings

• 95 ~Joke-innear~ // Jul 15, 2013 at 7:11 PM

1mill is enough to make most people gawk. Bent is simply not worth the effort. Past his prime, high wages, struggles to score… let alone get into the team…

we already have Ameobi who embodies the latter two qualities very well.

• 96 toonicle // Jul 15, 2013 at 7:12 PM

You’d think with all Kinnear’s screw ups so far he would want to get right on a top striker signing and shut up all his critics… You’d think…

• 97 toon kk // Jul 15, 2013 at 7:15 PM

I agree to a certain extent but we badly miss pace. Our winger’s don’t put enough into the box and we desperately need at least one more striker.

• 98 jayphoto // Jul 15, 2013 at 7:17 PM

Anyone else ever shudder at the thought of another 12 years of ameobi!! Sammys only 20! Itd mean we suffered 24 straight years of dreading an ameobi coming off the bench

• 99 Sazzer // Jul 15, 2013 at 7:17 PM

jayphoto
    Amalfitano is much older scored like 3 goals and 5 assist in Ligue 2.
    Ince scored 18 goals and 14 assist 44 games.
    Thauvin have 10 goals and 3 in 32 games.

So that about double of an impact in games. Ligue1 might be bit better than Championship but not that much except the 4-5 top teams.

• 100 JFK junior // Jul 15, 2013 at 7:18 PM

Anybody else think ‘the truth will out’ and John Tudor are one and the same!?!

I do!!! He says ‘john Tudor is leaving the blog’ but he isn’t!!”

Thought he was supposed to be the more mature and honest blogger?!

He has been found out !! Fool

• 101 Yohan Kebab // Jul 15, 2013 at 7:22 PM

krul
    debuchy mym colo haidara
    sissoko anita cabaye
    santon cisse hba

bench: marv gouff tiote jonas taylor campbell elliot

could be worse!

• 102 jackostoon // Jul 15, 2013 at 7:22 PM

i know what i’d like to do with her prickly pear

• 103 jayphoto // Jul 15, 2013 at 7:25 PM

@sazzer yea fair point amalfit is a couple years older! Had high hopes for him to be honest, was a really exciting player in ligue 2! Went past players for fun! Same with abeid who was really rated in france at lens, many people thought hed go to a top team like Lyon and it made national news when we signed him! Remember liverpool signing (and ruining) 2 of frances best young players cpl years ago in sinama pongolle and latallec! Saying that, with Abeid Hes been awful when given a first team chance though! Think he had the worst 45 minutes of any toon player last year in one game! On thauvin though, i’d be willing to bet he goes on to acheive far more than Ince, 3.5m for him was a steal!

• 104 toon kk // Jul 15, 2013 at 7:27 PM

I’m not sure about debuchy yet I think he makes a few silly mistakes, another season and I think he’ll come good.

• 105 WWYCD // Jul 15, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Derren Bent the link that just won’t go away, Villa don’t want him, no other team want him and we are still heavily linked

Personally I don’t see the point in bring him in Cisse is better than him, Campbell has more of a future and he doesn’t add anything to the team rather keep Shola tbh least he tries which I doubt Bent would

• 106 Sazzer // Jul 15, 2013 at 7:38 PM

You also can compare with Van Ginkel that Chelsea recently bought or De Bruyne.

A player that was overvalued and british was for sure Henderson. Another one Matt Jarvis and a third Johnson.

Ince on the other is fairly valued in my opinion. Certainly not a bargain, but you will get what you pay in this case.

• 107 Patoon // Jul 15, 2013 at 7:41 PM

Yohan Kebab @100

Like the line up, would def love 2 c that team play, think Santon would do good ther, on his preferred side 2

• 108 jayphoto // Jul 15, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Ive got a feeling Bent will go somewhere Random like Turkey! Hes been linked with Hull a few times aswell as us! Probs at the mo is the price! If villa drop their asking price i think clubs might come out of the woodwork for him

• 109 jayphoto // Jul 15, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Think the van Ginkel and De Bruyne signings are crazily dodgy! Chelsea have huge links with Vitesse and Genk, seen it suggested a few times that Chelsea overpaid for non footballing reasons

• 110 GeordieDan // Jul 15, 2013 at 7:45 PM

WWYCD>

I don’t like Bent and I do like Shola, as people.

However surely you can’t think that if you played them both for a whole season that Bent would probably score double what Shola gets at least!

And that’s not considering Shola is injured after almost every game he plays and out for 5 or 6 after that.

Bent is not ideal (at all) but he is miles better than Shola is.

Other than Benteke’s form at Villa the only other thing keeping him out their side was the obligation for them to pay up to £6 million extra for appearance bonuses to the Mackems!

Bent then goes the huff at not getting played at all or even on the bench at times, therefore they both want to to get rid of eachother.

If we get him for peanuts I’d have him all day long as Shola’s upgrade-despite my personal opinion of him.

• 111 Sazzer // Jul 15, 2013 at 7:48 PM

jayphoto
    I agree that Thauvin was steal and he will go on and achieve great things. One have to remember that when bargain deals are struck there is other factors involved. Like player preferences, agent fees, sell on clauses…

• 112 GeordieDan // Jul 15, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Forgot to add that Pardew is pretty close to Bent and having his influence in his ear about a final England call up for his career in World cup qualifiers might end up with us getting a really proven Prem striker for next to nowt.

There’s a reason Villa paid the unwashed £18million-£24million for him mate. ;)

Pardew might turn out to be some use after all. :D

• 113 toon kk // Jul 15, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Bent isn’t what we want but he’s better than no signing at all. The only reason were interested is we want experience and he’s in our price range.

• 114 jayphoto // Jul 15, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Reason for not wanting Bent is that i know a few ppl at Villa and his attitude is awful! Threw his toys out the pram when he lost his place to Benteke! Lost his fitness as he made no effort in training and refused to regain it by turning out for the reserves! Not sure thats the attitude id want for NUFC! Threw his toys out the pram at spurs too at the end and i think he even forced the villa move ? Also don’t see how hed enhance us , hes like cisse without the odd stunner

• 115 Sazzer // Jul 15, 2013 at 8:02 PM

jayphoto
    I wouldn’t say they are overpaying for Van Ginkel if you compare it to prices paid for Oscar, Isco, Illarramendi…

• 116 Jamesthefirst // Jul 15, 2013 at 8:03 PM

Not sure why Ashley keeps getting bashed for penny pinching. We bid £15 million up front for PEA, more than anyone. PEA wanted CL footie to leave his club.

Ashley drags his heels with signings but the signings we make are quality. You cannot accuse him of signing has beens or players not good enough for PL. Under the right manager our current first 11-14 are easily good enough to finish the top 7. We have some of the best players I have seen at our club in a long time.

The main difference with Ashley and other owners is that he always refuses to pay the asking price and will never agree to a deal where the agent gets a bigger cut than they should. We all hear through the press what the asking price is for a player. What we don’t hear is the demands the agent is asking for to make the deal happen.

He is prudent and does not trust out current manager with the funds. Would you honestly give Pardew £20 million? God knows the wasters he would buy. Bent is a Pardew choice. PEA was Carr. Says all you need really.

Ashley wants Pardew to quit so he doesn’t have to pay him anything. That is half of the problem with lack of investment so far this summer.

Between Carr and Ashley there is ambition to buy players who improve the team and can be resold if needed to help reinvest.

If we had made it into the top 4 he would spend more money. But a team that finished where we did last season and cannot offer big wages or European football does not make us attractive to players.

I know 5 people that have met Ashley (journalists and businessmen) all of them said he is one of the most astute businessmen they have met. Very switched on and they can see how he has made his fortune. Also said he is extremely likeable. It just seems when it comes to football he simply puts his trust in the wrong people.

• 117 WWYCD // Jul 15, 2013 at 8:04 PM

GeordieDan
    If they both played a full season Bent would out score Shola but neither will play a full season both will be bench players and Shola offers something different to Cisse whereas Bent offers the same with less effort

Bringing on Bent for Cisse will do little to change a game Shola brings a bit of passion and strength, I honestly be happier in st James if Shola came on rather than Bent

• 118 solano // Jul 15, 2013 at 8:05 PM

I would like to catagorically state, for the benefit of Bills, that I have never posted anything about thinking that we would sign Carlton Cole.
    However, as time passes I’m starting to warm to the possibility! ;-)

• 119 Yohan Kebab // Jul 15, 2013 at 8:06 PM

im usually positive about any transfer, but, bent, i cant see anything but negatives

• 120 Patoon // Jul 15, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Rafik Djebbour is actually a fantastic finisher and is big and powerful, def b a big improvement on shola, 2 old tho

• 121 WWYCD // Jul 15, 2013 at 8:10 PM

GeordieDan
    There is also a reason why he very rarely gets game time at Villa regardless of price tag

• 122 greek toon // Jul 15, 2013 at 8:16 PM

Hi guys, I was browsing some greek websites after work and I stumbled across this article, apparently NUFC have made an offer to Rafik Djebbour Algerian international who plays for Olympiakos. He is 29 has a decent goal scoring record however I believe he is poor. You might remember him for his very good game against Arsenal in the Champions league 2 seasons ago………..Anyways According to Algerian Newspapers we have offered him a contract which is higher then Russian, Greek, and Turkish teams and it says final decision will be made this week as Joe Kiennar arrives back to duty on Monday…………here is the link http://www.sentragoal.gr/article.asp?catid=10532&subid=2&pubid=129439084

• 123 plana // Jul 15, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Big Moussa Sissoko, should be a different player along with the other January signings after getting a preseason to bed in properly.

• 124 jayphoto // Jul 15, 2013 at 8:21 PM

@sazzer yea the price on young spanish players is unbelievable ! Thiago alcantara at 18m seems a steal compared to lad madrid have taken! Dont watch la liga and am never in spain so no idea if their any good or why the high price tho

• 125 Rotonda heights // Jul 15, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Using Shola as our only plan B has always worked so well.
    What was it – 1 goal in 31 !!

Part of me has had so much of it now I would like to see the whole thing implode. Fed of it all from Ashley, JFK, Pardew and Wonga. Just totally incompetent, inadequate and largely unqualified to be anywhere near a premiership club with a home crowd of 52000.

• 126 djm... // Jul 15, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Santon is our best left back, if he plays on the wing it’s another case of round pegs in square holes (the same as people on here complained about last season, with sissoko, cabaye and gouffran etc). Also the whole point of playing 433 is to have wingers who will be cutting in on their strong foot. Some complain about pardews dinosaur tactics, then demand out and out wingers.

• 127 Rotonda heights // Jul 15, 2013 at 8:30 PM

James the first at 115.

Spot on all the way, especially the last line

• 128 Jail for Ashley // Jul 15, 2013 at 8:32 PM

James the first,
    Whatever anybody thinks of Pardew is irrelevant but if Mike Ashley can’t trust a double manager of the year winner with 12/15M pounds to spend on Debuchy ,Douglas and possibly Gouffran then far from being astute and prudent it makes him a fuskin idiot.

• 129 wolfshead@toon // Jul 15, 2013 at 8:37 PM

respect to jfk if he gets shola to move to the smoggies :-)

• 130 Jail for Ashley // Jul 15, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Total sport was good tonight probably because it was the first chance I got to listen to it since they returned,basically Ando wasn’t hopeful of getting many in and reiterated the madness of shipping out the deadwood without replacing them,some people on here might be delighted were moving Shola on as was I when I heard Best was on his way last summer,all very well if we are going to replace them,how handy would Leon Best have been last season and how we will miss Shola if an over awed Adam Cambell can’t deal with the pressure of PL life.

• 131 Dannyo // Jul 15, 2013 at 8:53 PM

QPR suddenly ups their bid on Hooper the day Kinnear returns.
    Anyone wanna say what the 2+2 adds up to?
    Fingers crossed!

• 132 WWYCD // Jul 15, 2013 at 8:57 PM

Dannyo
    He’s double dipping?!?

• 133 Dannyo // Jul 15, 2013 at 9:00 PM

WWYCD
    Not once can you do without the dirty jokes…sigh…
    If it happens, happy about it?
    Personally, I’m a bit to old to hope for “non-mercenaries” in every signing these days.
    Good player, gives us exactly what we’re missing imo.

• 134 GeordieDan // Jul 15, 2013 at 9:01 PM

WWYCD>

I see where you’re coming from and as far as passion goes Shola would always ‘try’ as hard as anyone for the cause but he is sooooo slow that even when he does really try he barely gets going at all.

As I said before Shola is a great bloke but a very average player at best, who never got near the early potential he showed unless you poked him with a stick before a derby match.

Big shame but at least we’ll always have the (pre-2013) derby memories. :)

Time for him to go imo.

• 135 WWYCD // Jul 15, 2013 at 9:03 PM

Dannyo
    Haha I just meant he was working two jobs mate DoF for us and QPR…not sure what u meant haha
    If Remy came in would I be happy? Aye pretty buzzing tbh I got over him “snubbing” us in Jan and he’s a hell of a player damn sight better than Bent

• 136 Belfast // Jul 15, 2013 at 9:05 PM

I’ll be crying myself to sleep if Shola leaves.

Legend that he is.

20 f***** grand a week like. You might as well just burn the money.

Also his brother seems like he needs a good slap. lol

• 137 WWYCD // Jul 15, 2013 at 9:08 PM

GeordieDan
    Let him go for the sake of Bent coming in does nothing for me but everyone’s entitled to their opinions mate

• 138 Sazzer // Jul 15, 2013 at 9:08 PM

jayphoto
    Yeah it’s been the trend ongoing.

• 139 Dannyo // Jul 15, 2013 at 9:08 PM

WWYCD
    Ah, like that, lol. I was just connecting the dots. Kinnear returns from hols, finalises a deal for Remy (medical and formalities left), QPR ups their bid for Hooper.
    We’re on the same side then. Proper pace up top and some imagination will do us a world of goals/good.

• 140 Yohan Kebab // Jul 15, 2013 at 9:09 PM

djm, my personal preference is to have defenders that can defend first and foremost, and i think the best balance is to have one winger that can cut in, and one that bombs it down the wing (i.e. both with the same strong foot)

this means when they swap sides they have an equal effect

• 141 Belfast // Jul 15, 2013 at 9:11 PM

Hooper would actually be a good signing for us in my opinion.

And he’s cheap so I’m surprised we’re not interested

• 142 GeordieDan // Jul 15, 2013 at 9:11 PM

Agreed mate. And I’m on the same page as you about Remy.

Forgetting the past he’s 1 hell of a player and would complement an attacking 443 with Cisse and Ben Arfa perfectly.

Fingers crossed we get him this week.

Would finally give us all a massive lift.

• 143 WWYCD // Jul 15, 2013 at 9:13 PM

Dannyo
    Well I hope so but equally maybe QPR are just getting in a striker with the samba money knowing that Remy will leave soon regardless of where too

• 144 Big Pappa Cissé // Jul 15, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Our strike force by the end of the transfer window.

Cisse, Remy, Gouffran , Bent, Campbell (Back Up)

• 145 Dannyo // Jul 15, 2013 at 9:15 PM

WWYCD
    There’s always that, and it’s fairly easy to put 2 and 2 together, maybe too easy.
    He’s the striker most similar to Aub tho in terms of skillset. We should be going after him, but the rape charges makes it dicey.

• 146 jazzyp // Jul 15, 2013 at 9:15 PM

evening all-just gone through the blog from today and I see its the same old same old.
    tudor has finally done one-torq’s been bullied again.
    look lads its totally up to you if you choose to believe anyone on here regarding info they choose to give.whether that comes to any fruition or not.

• 147 WWYCD // Jul 15, 2013 at 9:16 PM

GD
    HBA Cisse Remy front 3 is a pretty exciting prospect but my hopes are not high

• 148 Dannyo // Jul 15, 2013 at 9:16 PM

Odds on Remy joining us getting slashed as we speak. No big whoop there tho.

• 149 WWYCD // Jul 15, 2013 at 9:19 PM

Dannyo
    Well PEA was our second choice behind Remy in Jan not sure if that was due to price/availability or skill though

I was a big fan of Remy prior to his move to QPR so maybe am biased but he’s always struck me as a cracking player

• 150 Belfast // Jul 15, 2013 at 9:20 PM

Remy’s gonna have to take one hell of a wage drop to join us like. 90 Grand a week
    I’m nearly sure I’ve read that somewhere.

• 151 Belfast // Jul 15, 2013 at 9:21 PM

He’s on 90 grand a week.
    So probably 40 grand wage drop lol

I’d be over the moon with a grand a week myself

• 152 Dannyo // Jul 15, 2013 at 9:23 PM

Belfast
    Well, he has the option of staying in the Championship, forever tagged like a greedy fool.
    Or he could ever so slightly redeem himself and join nufc, taking the wage cut and ply his trade in the PL.

• 153 Mings // Jul 15, 2013 at 9:25 PM

NO!!!! :D Hope not

• 154 Belfast // Jul 15, 2013 at 9:25 PM

It depends how much of a money grabbing swine he is lol

• 155 Dannyo // Jul 15, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Let me be an ITK for a sec.
    Newcastle are considering Norwegian international GK
    Rune Almenningen Jarstein.

Watch it pop up in the news…

• 156 Big Pappa Cissé // Jul 15, 2013 at 9:28 PM

Here is my predicted starting 11 & Bench for Man City.

——————————-Krul——————————-

–Debuchy——–M’biwa——–Collocini——–Santon–

——–Sissoko————–Tiote————-Cabaye——–

———HBA—————-Cisse————–Remy——–

Bench: Elliot,Haidara,Taylor,Anita,Gutierrez,Gouffran,Bent

Still a very good team and perfectly capable of top 8 although I would still like to see Sinclair and De Jong brought in as well. Thoughts ?

• 157 Yohan Kebab // Jul 15, 2013 at 9:28 PM

jarstein is good…on fifa

• 158 scout // Jul 15, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Qpr will probably pay part of his wages for a while, bit like AJ at the dark side

• 159 stan anderson // Jul 15, 2013 at 9:30 PM

At the moment we have a weaker squad than the one that struggled badly last season,same idiot as manager and brought in another idiot to oversee th existing idiot,It,s never been as bad in my 50 plus years of supporting my team.I,ve been in 12000 crowds in a hovel for a stadium,but it did,nt feel as bad as this now.Dont talk about trophies as it,s not a priority of the Cockney Maffia,just survive the drop is there ambition and we put up with it.

• 160 Dannyo // Jul 15, 2013 at 9:30 PM

@Yohan Kebab
    Awful keeper, U21s GK proving to be far better.

• 161 Newcastle for alltid // Jul 15, 2013 at 9:33 PM

I wouldn`t want Jarstein if Viking paid us to get him. Awful, unreliable goalkeeper. Next please!

• 162 Mings // Jul 15, 2013 at 9:35 PM

There are much better options out there than Jarstein! My friends would laugh then heh :P

• 163 dazzler // Jul 15, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Alright lads (and lasses), long time reader and thought I would finally give it a whirl with the old commenting.

To be honest, at this moment in time I would take anyone through the door, just to say we’ve signed someone. It’s becoming a bit of a running theme with our beloved club that we are promised the world and delivered a brick to the face. Having said that I do still live in hope that we will pull off another January, I.e. a number of quick signings out of the blue. Possibly unlikely but until September we’ll never know.

Also if Pardew goes back to his winning formula of our 5th place season (which involves Gutierrez being dropped/sold) also it would hopefully involve Anita over Tiote with Sissoko in the holding role.

Cisse is OK but would rather have seen him gone instead of Ba TBH. We need two strikers as most agree, and Remi should definitely be one of them regardless of his current legal status. I’d take Bent, on the cheap and on a pay and play deal as that’s the only way to guarantee he will perform to his ability.

A young CB would be nice to cover the eventual departure if Colo but from what I hear is Curtus Good and Remi Streete are rather good prospects so hopefully one of them can step up during the next season in the cups.

Oh and thoroughly enjoy reading comments from Torq, SecretSausage and Toondanno, as even if their information doesn’t come true at least it offers some semblance of positivity that is otherwise lacking with our fans at the moment. So thank you gents.

• 164 bollance // Jul 15, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Would anyone take flamini, 29 and contract expired at AC Milan.

Good at Arsenal in Prem, worth a punt?

• 165 Big Pappa Cissé // Jul 15, 2013 at 9:41 PM

@ Bollance

Good shout. Always looked like a tidy player whenever I have seen him. Not sure if he would be a starter though.

• 166 dazzler // Jul 15, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Flamini > Tiote IMO so should in truth start, if he would join us, which I doubt haha. I’m pretty sure his wages would exceed our cap unfortunately

• 167 jazzyp // Jul 15, 2013 at 9:44 PM

it does make you wonder with all these keepers being linked with nufc, why we actually got rid of forster in the first place. imo is better than any gk we have under krull at present.
    torq-i look forward to reading your posts always and agree with everything you say apart from Jonas you mentioned early on today.guteriezz although puts in a shift does not offer any offensive play.and the less said about his defensive displays of last season the better.
    I did think at one point he was on his way back to his best in the 2nd leg against benfica. but one game does not justify a start every game of the season.
    this in itself proves how thin on the ground our squad is !!!

• 168 Big Pappa Cissé // Jul 15, 2013 at 9:50 PM

For me Gutierrez’s ideal role would be someone to bring on 15-20 minutes from the end when we are protecting a lead away from home or if we are under serious pressure and need to slow the game down and get things under control.

He draws fouls, has a good engine is great at frustrating the opposition when he shields the ball with his body and arms. Not a starter anymore IMO. I remember watching him against Man U away from home when Keegan came back. Looked like a greyhound up and down the line and made Rooney look like a bum at one point :) .

Was still rubbish at crossing then as well ;)

• 169 Big Pappa Cissé // Jul 15, 2013 at 9:52 PM

I would not worry to much about outgoings not being replaced lads. After all there is still more than a month of the transfer window left and plenty of talent out there.

I really don’t think Ashley will want to risk it again like he did last summer. And with the Joker back things will probably heat up on the transfer front.

• 170 jazzyp // Jul 15, 2013 at 9:53 PM

big papa.
    spot on mate.
    I see harps has signed for hull today.just like to wish him all the best for his future endeavours at the club.
    would had defo had more game time if it wasn’t for a certain mr given

• 171 roe997 // Jul 15, 2013 at 9:56 PM

Cabs is going i think.hope we get top dollar and reinvest asap

• 172 Big Pappa Cissé // Jul 15, 2013 at 9:57 PM

@ Jazzy

On Forster I think he was smart and did what Harper should have done, left when he was young.

He knew Krul was always going to be number one and he knew he was better than a number 2 so decided to have first team football with Celtic. Fair play to the lad as well. Better keeper than Elliot but too good to be second best IMO.

• 173 Sazzer // Jul 15, 2013 at 9:59 PM

I’m still wondering why we haven’t gone in for Boudebouz and released Obertan. I hope getting as much as possible for Obertan is the hold up.

Twitter says that Valbuena has release clause at 15.6 m £, if that is true then forget about expensive striker and buy him instead.

• 174 roe997 // Jul 15, 2013 at 10:00 PM

Big pappa cisse,forster has publicly said he wants a nufc return one day and regrets to a certain extent leaving

• 175 Sazzer // Jul 15, 2013 at 10:00 PM

F**k Southampton will get him.

Get French Football ?@GFN_France
    Confirmed: Southampton had scouts present to watch Ryad Boudebouz in Sochaux’s friendly vs Auxerre.

• 176 dazzler // Jul 15, 2013 at 10:01 PM

Any idea why my previous comments have been logged for moderation lads? Neither have any form of offensive material in them haha.

• 177 Yohan Kebab // Jul 15, 2013 at 10:03 PM

i think the second krul gets sold for big bucks forster will be on his way back, thats just my thoughts

krul is my favourite player at the club though and i would love him to spend his career here and become a legend

• 178 Sazzer // Jul 15, 2013 at 10:06 PM

JF**K time to wake up or Southampton will get him.

Get French Football ?@GFN_France

• 179 Sazzer // Jul 15, 2013 at 10:09 PM

GFN_France
    West Ham still considering whether or not to step up negotiations with Bordeaux for Lamine. #Girondins want €6m.

• 180 Sazzer // Jul 15, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Re: Thauvin. Rene Girard will meet with the player upon his return from the World Cup to discuss future. #OM want in. #LOSC

• 181 G // Jul 15, 2013 at 10:12 PM

Any truth to the rumour that Titus Bramble has signed for West Ham?

• 182 Sazzer // Jul 15, 2013 at 10:13 PM

NUFCfans ?@nufcfans
    Norwegian newspaper VG links #NUFC with a move for Norway’s first-choice goalkeeper Rune Jarstein. He’s 28 and plays for Viking.

• 183 Sazzer // Jul 15, 2013 at 10:19 PM

That keeper is seem like complete rubbish so the rumour is probably just that complete rubbish.

• 184 usmagpie // Jul 15, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Here’s what going to happen to help us get two better forwards and this would be good business or it should be. Yohan off to PSG for 20 mil and we also get Mamadou Sakho for our defence as an cash plus player deal. This would free up 20 million odd to go after some really good talent. Here’s my thinking and don’t get me wrong I would love Yohan to be here but he is only one player. We end up getting three for the price of one and we have tons of players in the middle of the park, I’m sure someone could jump into Yohan’s shoes and take that role.

• 185 Sazzer // Jul 15, 2013 at 10:23 PM

West Ham News ?@WHUFC_News
    Titus Bramble on trial with West Ham and Stewart Downing reportedly our no.1 target. Should I even ask for your views??

• 186 G // Jul 15, 2013 at 10:25 PM

@180, a perfect example, of just because you can sign a player, doesn’t necessarily mean you should!

• 187 archaeomag // Jul 15, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Lots of talk about signing Norwegian goalie Rune Almenningen Jarstein . . perhaps it’s true . . given the TK situation

• 188 Hobs // Jul 15, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Jarstein is absolute crap. I’m happy to see him leave Viking (my local club) as his contract runs out at the end of 2013.

He’s got ok reflexes, and that’s it. Does stupid things like conceeding a penalty when the ball is in the other half of the pitch (Yes, that’s right. He does that!). Cannot control his temper.

About as smart and clever as Joe Kinnear, who will of course sign him because he likes his attitude.

• 189 Sazzer // Jul 15, 2013 at 10:26 PM

• 190 potski // Jul 15, 2013 at 10:30 PM

BPC

You do realise that Remy has a rape charge hanging over his head?

Do a google search and you will find a number of clubs, including Arsenal and Liverpool, were showing an interest in triggering his release clause once QPR were relegated, on the basis he had proved he could play in PL and score goals. But that all changed on 15th May:

Despite QPR touting him around Europe for a month, no-one has triggered the release clause. A couple of days it was reported:

“Remy has reported for pre-season training as planned and Redknapp admits that he is hoping the 26-year-old will help his bid to win promotion back to the Premier League.

He said: “I wouldn’t want to get rid of Remy. He is a top player. He would be fantastic for us next season. If I can keep hold of him, I will do.”

Sounds to me like QPR accept no-one will buy him in his current situation, and they are going to be stuck with paying £90k per week for him in Championship.

• 191 archaeomag // Jul 15, 2013 at 10:30 PM

I hear that Joe Kinnear is looking to sign
    Runny albumin Justin from Viking Direct

• 192 jimmysmith // Jul 15, 2013 at 10:31 PM

It is a problem for Newcastle only getting into Europe intermittently. We did end up with too many players for a domestic season and now we have to get rid of some fringe players while still strengthening our elite core without the attraction of European competition.

I think our squad size now is about right for the demands of a domestic season but we desperately need some quality attackers in who will contribute goals. At the moment we only have Cisse who knows how to find the back of the net. Compare that with the senior clubs who have bags of players all over the pitch who chip in.

Remy and deJong type players in, couple more nearly men out, we are good to go.

• 193 G // Jul 15, 2013 at 10:31 PM

@186, at least that would be a better prospect than that Norwegian keeper (No offense intended Norway)

• 194 Joe Sophistication // Jul 15, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Question

He will be in Newcastle on tuesday if you would like to meet him let me know via this blog. ta .

• 195 Sazzer // Jul 15, 2013 at 10:33 PM

When I saw the rumour about Jarestein it sounded possible then looked him up and it’s never good sign when find videos with worst moments rather then best moments of a player.

• 196 Sazzer // Jul 15, 2013 at 10:34 PM

TFS Norwich City ?@TFS_NorwichCity
    Toby Alderweireld’s Dad says his son has not rejected Norwich, but put the move on hold instead.

• 197 jimmysmith // Jul 15, 2013 at 10:36 PM

@185 that was always the likely scenario, why would he leave London and take a pay cut unless he thinks QPR can’t bounce straight back, but under Redknap and with money they must be odds on to do so, moreover of course, there’s the allegation against him.

• 198 Sazzer // Jul 15, 2013 at 10:39 PM

Get French Football ?@GFN_France
    Tuttosport: Etienne Capoue has begun negotiations with Atletico Madrid they claim.

• 199 pizzicatochan // Jul 15, 2013 at 10:42 PM

Maybe it’s Newcastle Jets signing Jarestein?

• 200 G // Jul 15, 2013 at 10:44 PM

@JS, I honestly cannot work out who you are on about who has a famous son. The only one I am aware of is Greame Carr has a famous son. Perhaps its because I am not down with the kids but you will have to give me a bigger clue.

• 201 Mister Tuff // Jul 15, 2013 at 10:45 PM

TADS – Potential Deportation of Mr T.
    I’ve done a bit of research and have come up with the following re Mr Ts’ pending court case a Newcastle Crown Court for multiple offences.
    The Secretary of State has a duty to make a deportation order in respect of a person who is not a UK Citizen who is convicted in the UK of an offence and sentenced to
    either:-
    1. A period of imprisonment of at least 12 months
    2. A period of imprisonment of any duration for a particularly serious offence.
    (Section 32 of the UK Borders Act 2007)
    There are exceptions to the rule such as human rights.
    The offences which Mr. T faces could attract imprisonment without a doubt.
    However, it is probably unlikely – not much point really – better to give him a big fine (if convicted) and order him to do some community work.
    But he is without doubt in a tricky situation.

• 202 Joe Sophistication // Jul 15, 2013 at 10:45 PM

G

Its Gok Wan

• 203 G // Jul 15, 2013 at 10:48 PM

??????????????

• 204 G // Jul 15, 2013 at 10:48 PM

“An ex Newcastle player has a very famous son..you all know his name his initials are GW.”

?????????

• 205 G // Jul 15, 2013 at 10:50 PM

John Tung Shing Wan (according to Wiki)was a Newcastle player? I must have slept in that year.

• 206 pizzicatochan // Jul 15, 2013 at 10:54 PM

What are you guys talking about?

• 207 Joe Sophistication // Jul 15, 2013 at 10:55 PM

G

Aye Gok Wan’s Father played one game for the Toon in 1961 ..he was a trialist from a club out east and his team were on tour, he gained political asylum here in that time. He was a canny left half back in the day..

• 208 G // Jul 15, 2013 at 10:55 PM

Read post 189. It’s got me baffled? JS, what are you on about mate?

• 209 Sazzer // Jul 15, 2013 at 10:56 PM

George Wilson

• 210 pizzicatochan // Jul 15, 2013 at 10:57 PM

George Wilson or George Watkin. Your pick.

• 211 G // Jul 15, 2013 at 10:58 PM

202, really? I’ve never heard that, or of him for that matter. No reference to it via google either.

• 212 Sazzer // Jul 15, 2013 at 11:00 PM

George Watkin

• 213 Joe Sophistication // Jul 15, 2013 at 11:02 PM

G

He also played a game against us ! for Leicester City..He played just the once for Leicester.. He was Nippy.

• 214 G // Jul 15, 2013 at 11:03 PM

@JS, unfortunate choice of words to use there son. Do us all a favour now and dissapear back up that backside your are talking out of. Theres a good lad.

• 215 jimmysmith // Jul 15, 2013 at 11:06 PM

geez, all that for a pants joke, even so, excellent moniker.

• 216 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jul 15, 2013 at 11:07 PM

It may be a bit controversial but I wouldn’t mind us selling Tiote (he frustrates me and irritates me alot as a footballer)

• 217 marco polo // Jul 15, 2013 at 11:09 PM

Js, a mackem racist.. How very apt

• 218 Galtierez // Jul 15, 2013 at 11:10 PM

@216 defo, sell him but he is only worth 5 to 6M now.

• 219 Bring Back Laurent Robert // Jul 15, 2013 at 11:11 PM

I just hope when MA said to Joe Kinnear do you want to represent us in transfer negotiations and ‘broker deals’, Joe didn’t get the wrong end of the stick and think MAs hired him as his muscle – Joe’s answer phone message: “Sell u as winger or I’ll break your finger, leave us a line you c**t and I’ll get back to ya’!”.

• 220 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jul 15, 2013 at 11:12 PM

Galtierez…yeah in hindsight we should have sold a year ago when Chelsea wanted him :)

• 221 jimmysmith // Jul 15, 2013 at 11:12 PM

yes, he has lost his way, whether its refs targeting him or Pards reining him in and leaving him in two minds, he’s not the player he was, but the player he was, was thrillingly dynamic, so I hope we can get him back to his best.

• 222 Joe Sophistication // Jul 15, 2013 at 11:12 PM

nippy as in quick.

• 223 Sazzer // Jul 15, 2013 at 11:14 PM

Apperantly Ashley and Joe is going to appear in celebrity version on How To Look Good Naked.

Getting rid of those Man Bangers…

• 224 Galtierez // Jul 15, 2013 at 11:15 PM

Yeah Jesper, think it is tough being a manager with Tiotes decline as an example. We would have all probably gone mental if we sold him to Chelsea! Crystal ball would have been nice mate!

• 225 G // Jul 15, 2013 at 11:17 PM

Ed, any chance of getting rid of the Racist doing the rounds please. As a mixed race man I find his presence very offensive.

• 226 Joe Sophistication // Jul 15, 2013 at 11:17 PM

G
    had you on the hook though ..just thought i would liven up a blog that seems fraught today ..reading back

Marco Polo ..one of my best best mates is from chin me old china. and Iv got a black and white arse…I am also freinds to a few canny Mackems ..although when it comes to football its war..in a piss taking sort of way

G , I had you mate ..I really had you ..you were even thinking of going into town to meet Gok ..Gotcha yi Bugga !

• 227 Joe Sophistication // Jul 15, 2013 at 11:20 PM

G… Im not racist mate ! Are you refering to me ?

• 228 marco polo // Jul 15, 2013 at 11:22 PM

Do one joe, the stench of mackems is always a giveaway son

• 229 james589 // Jul 15, 2013 at 11:22 PM

News coming through that we’ve made our first signing of the summer… A strength and conditioning coach.
    Remember, if we can keep our key players fit, it’ll be like having a whole host of new signings ;-)
    Seriously though, this has to be good news.

• 230 Joe Sophistication // Jul 15, 2013 at 11:24 PM

This blog is getting worse ..people are offended by the inoffensive ! chrissakes I even read an argument on here that was an argument discussing who was the most argumentive ..your all mad .

• 231 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jul 15, 2013 at 11:24 PM

The worse thing about the fall of Tiote is that Pardew will not drop him even though we have better player at the moment and we might have to play a little bit different this season than we are used to!

• 232 Joe Sophistication // Jul 15, 2013 at 11:26 PM

Marco Polo …whats this with the MAckem thing ? I take your comment with a laugh..as I am a devout Newcastle United gadgee and have been for all my life

• 233 lochinvar // Jul 15, 2013 at 11:27 PM

Now that he’s back from holiday JFK is pushing for a deal on emerging French striker Darre N’ Bent.

• 234 marco polo // Jul 15, 2013 at 11:27 PM

@229, good news if it can stop our horrendous injury record , sed to have top experience, and torq said we were looking to add to our coaching department

• 235 Joe Sophistication // Jul 15, 2013 at 11:29 PM

G

are you aware that Jimmy Saville once had a trial for Newcastle ? really… not joking this time .

• 236 marco polo // Jul 15, 2013 at 11:30 PM

Caps lock problem joe?

• 237 Galtierez // Jul 15, 2013 at 11:30 PM

Jesper that’s a great point, Tiote was the oppos MVP in nearly all his games last season.

@229
    Good spot, great news. Still odd that the only time we had a fairly regular fit team .Barring the injury prone Dyer,Woodgate and Bellamy). Was when Sir Bobby had Paul Winsper as fitness coach. Now almost 10 years and many injuries later, we finally go full circle.

• 238 jonobbad // Jul 15, 2013 at 11:31 PM

Joe
    Is that someone calling you racist for calling someone nippy? Lol
    Ridiculous nowadays.

• 239 marco polo // Jul 15, 2013 at 11:31 PM

Joe the troll, like his lass. Ignore him people

• 240 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jul 15, 2013 at 11:32 PM

james…that’s nice; now we just need a technical coach to help the gaffer with the modern tactics (he seems to find the hard at times ;) )

• 241 Joe Sophistication // Jul 15, 2013 at 11:32 PM

G

JS became a wrestler

• 242 Colombus // Jul 15, 2013 at 11:33 PM

Guys , heres the norwegian with a theory about the keeper-situation. I actually think it’s Ørjan Nyland, the Molde keeper that we are after. Not Jarstein. He has been outstanding this year and is a fantastic modern keeper-talent. Maybe it’s just wishful thinking but he would be the perfect buy and he would be cheap aswell..

• 243 james589 // Jul 15, 2013 at 11:35 PM

@234 Wouldn’t go so far as to say it’s an addition to the coaching department, looks like she’ll be in a consultant-type role.
    But agreed, if we can keep our top players (especially the likes of HBA) fit then it’d be a massive improvement.
    It’s been an issue for years mind, I remember years ago when everyone was doing their hamstrings and they blamed the training pitch…

@231 I agree re. Tioté- I think he’s a liability at times and last season he was a shadow of the player from 2011-12. I’d happily let him go if we can get decent money for him to use on other transfers. DM is Sissoko’s natural position (yet to play him there mind) and Anita has proved he can play well there too. That said after last season I can’t see there being the same level of interest in him that there was the summer before.

• 244 Sazzer // Jul 15, 2013 at 11:36 PM

#NUFC have hired @FayeDowney as a fitness consultant to deal with injuries, according to @MailOnlineSport

We couldn’t get Spiderman so we got this Spiderwomen to reawaken Jonas.

• 245 Ginger // Jul 15, 2013 at 11:36 PM

I remember I was at a Newcastle game, friendly match I think no idea who against though and before that Fraser Forster was out training with one of the assistants. Anyway, the person was crossing it in and Forster was coming out to catch it.

Bare in mind nobody was in the box, just him.

He never caught it once.

Towards the end the bloke chipped it up to Forster at close range and he fumbled it once again. Played the game, was absolutely dreadful and got subbed at half time. Ever since then I never trusted the bloke.

• 246 Ketsbaia9 // Jul 15, 2013 at 11:36 PM

It’s time for us to step in and make a formal offer for Alderweireld.

Boudebouz will end up at Norwich.

• 247 jimmysmith // Jul 15, 2013 at 11:38 PM

If it is true that Pards is not up to snuff tactically, and there is plenty to suggest that is the case, then that 8 year contract really speaks volumes for Ashley’s lack of discretion as a football club owner. Actually, add that to all the other circumstantial evidence and the jury is surely in on that count.

• 248 Joe Sophistication // Jul 15, 2013 at 11:38 PM

Jonnobad

I didnt even post it in that context ! I did not even think about it ..as he is from out east though I can see why someone might jump on it ..but really, chrissakes ! IT was not even meant as a punchline but it turned out that way when I read it after posting it ..I wonder if I can use it in a stand up context ..will Have to run it by my mate Phillip Lee, first … owns a few bizz’s around county Durham and tyneside ..he has a season ticket at the toon and loves his footie . great bloke

• 249 toonarmydownsouth // Jul 15, 2013 at 11:40 PM

Mister Tuff
    Thanks for looking into that mate!
    Mr T had certainly put himself into a tricky situation but tend to agree that the courts will be inclined to give him a huge fine and a bit of community service
    Wonder the clubs stance if he got a imprisoned?
    Wonder if they would be as lenient as they were with Barton?

• 250 Joe Sophistication // Jul 15, 2013 at 11:43 PM

Marco Polo

YOu are a worky ticket ..I will engage in a bit banter with you for a while ..but if I get bored will you understand ?

• 251 james589 // Jul 15, 2013 at 11:44 PM

Slightly off topic and I’m sure someone would have mentioned this on here before and I’m sure it’s not even a possibility… But what would people think about us signing Gary Hooper from Celtic instead of Bent from Villa?

If news reports are true, we’re baulking at the fee for Bent but QPR are looking at Hooper for £5m… Proven goalscorer (albeit no PL experience). I’d take the punt as a 3rd striker/impact sub. Also if he’s willing to play in the Championship for QPR he’d also be happy to play in the Premiership… even if not a regular starter. Seems like a potential good buy to me. Saw him play in the lower leagues of England and he knows where the goal is, no bones about it.

I am finding it frustrating that the likes of Norwich are showing more intent in the transfer window than we are… Hopefully some action this week though.

• 252 Joe Sophistication // Jul 15, 2013 at 11:47 PM

Tads

they might just make an example in tiotes case ..RE : Steven Gerrard Liverpool crown court ..Liverpool jury ..He punched someones head in on camera ..and got off ! amazing mcoj we or tiote might not be so fortunate ..what think ?

• 253 Joe Sophistication // Jul 15, 2013 at 11:47 PM

scuse my grammar , its late

• 254 Joe Sophistication // Jul 15, 2013 at 11:56 PM

This blog is a hoot at times

People arguing about arguing during an argument ..! f******g hilarious !

• 255 robbeer // Jul 16, 2013 at 9:24 AM

sick hearing people say we signed some people early(january window) who was meant sign this one. So we arent buying to much this time. Couple reasons why thats BS one is we never signed anyone really who has come in first team (except anita) from start of last season. second our team just wasnt good enough last season so that blueprint goes out the window or your relagated its simple. While im on also as far as im concerned Ashley owns the club so therefore he owes himself the loan money he bought the club and whatever comes with it .Its his problem not ours. total bullocks . free advertising every year must be worth more than 10million to anyone else. the carroll money all rest players . all rest of revenue . parachute payment etc etc . dont be fooled by good accounting hes taking us to the cleaners

previous post: Newcastle Defender Staying Put – Gosling Deal Held Up