The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

I’m Really Happy At Newcastle – We Need To Finish In Top Six

8:08 am, Tuesday, July 16th, 2013 by Ed Harrison · 38 Comments

One of the battles for a first team place we are looking forward to is seeing this season is Italian International Davide Santon going up against French newcomer Massadio Haidara for the left back spot at Newcastle.

davide santon close up

Davide Santon - happy at Newcastle

Davide has now been at Newcastle for a couple of seasons since joining us from Inter-Milan for just over £5M two years ago, and he’s done well in his 65 appearances with one goal at Wigan.

And Davide became a father in May when he had his first baby – a girl – with his Geordie girlfriend, so Davide seems very settled on Tyneside, and again he says he just loves it at the Tyneside  club.

Newcastle will play their first pre-season game tonight at Motherwell, and Davide is in the squad, and he had this to say to the local papers today:

“I think we have to forget last season,” “It wasn’t a good season for us because we went from qualifying for the Europa League in 2011-2012 to last season fighting to stay in the Premier League.”

“We have to just forget last season and start with a new mentality. We have to make sure we have a nice season, and I hope we can finish in the top six. To do that, we will have to concentrate every single game to make sure it can happen.”

“Newcastle feels like home for me, especially now I’ve got family here,” “It’s been an amazing summer for me, the best. My baby daughter Sienna was born in May, so it’s been good.”

“Sienna was born in Newcastle on May 31st, and in the first week she was waking up every three hours, but now it’s getting a little bit better, she’s sleeping for five or six hours.”

“I felt at home as soon as I came here for the first time to be honest. Everybody was nice to me and I love Newcastle. I’m really happy to be starting a new season here.” “I think every player who comes to Newcastle from overseas needs a couple of months before they can feel totally comfortable,”

“When they came, I don’t think they had a lot of problems in Newcastle, but now they’ve come back for pre-season they seem completely comfortable. Hopefully, that means we’ll have a good season.”

It’s interesting that Davide says the new French players have now settled in well at Newcastle, and of course a full pre-season will do them all a world of good.

And Alan Pardew will no doubt stress to his squad this season that they owe Newcastle fans something for the trials and tribulation we had to endure in the league last term – and Alan’s right there.

Santon spent the summer in Newcastle, so he could be with his girlfriend and new baby, and he was away from Tyneside for just one week.

And the  Italian  has improved since he arrived at Newcastle as a 20 year-old, and we look forward to even more improvement in the coming season, but it’s very clear with Davide’s family situation, that he is completely committed to Newcastle United.

That’s good.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Davide Santon · Massadio Haidara · Newcastle News · Other News · Premier League

38 responses so far ↓

• 1 jeff // Jul 16, 2013 at 8:09 AM

lol.the dirty mackem with the tattoo.bet it was tsunki lol.

fat mackem, get out of this blog.

• 2 Ben3arfa // Jul 16, 2013 at 8:12 AM

lol @Jeff

• 3 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jul 16, 2013 at 8:16 AM

Rumors has it Joke has crowned himself “Fisher King” the gardian of the Holy Grail!

• 4 gorgonzola ( former Pecorino former to gorgonzola) // Jul 16, 2013 at 8:18 AM

poor lad…

Great little player…. Needs more work on his defensive game but great little player…

And he is stuck with the likes of JFK and Pardwho….

Its amazing when most of our striker targets have vanished what the solution will be….

Not doing business early again will cost us YET again….

I must say it just hurts now..

I still cant get over Jim Kenear :-/

• 5 Markaccus // Jul 16, 2013 at 8:20 AM

Jose kinnearnho has his second full day, so i am sure he will be signing 5 players as we speak………. No? Ok.

• 6 cestriasteve // Jul 16, 2013 at 8:24 AM

I wonder how much coaching/development the coaching staff at Newcastle can honestly say they have given Santon . Considering Pardew takes a lot of the defensive duties he should hang his head in shame over Santon.
    Here can be found a lad who possesses all the talent, quick, great first touch, good distribution, physically strong yet he hasn’t moved further than adapting to the EPL. A real travesty in my opinion, same on you pardew for letting this talent wilt!!!

• 7 Indian Magpie // Jul 16, 2013 at 8:28 AM

For all those slating Santon

Santon has to do so much on left wing, why, because Jonas cannot create anything and puppet pardew keeps playing him.

If we had a decent winger who could do his job attacking Santon could focus more on defence rather than making for Jonas’s ineptness

• 8 Black and White with an army lol // Jul 16, 2013 at 8:31 AM

as much i would love to see Santon play as a winger it just won’t happen, simply because there’s no signings being bought in and as far as AP stupid non football knowledge to him he has wingers for first team Obertan, Jonas, HBA, Marv, Sammy & Fergy

• 9 gorgonzola ( former Pecorino former to gorgonzola) // Jul 16, 2013 at 8:31 AM

cestriasteve

my feelings in a nutshell… I would seriously let players like him, Cisee and Cabaye go, as long as they don’t rot here. Cause lets not kid here lads, I love this club, but this band of lying thieves have taken this club hostage. And worst of all you don’t know who is worse, you almost have a sense of empathy for one of them depending on the amount of lies and crap that gets spewed from one of the other members of the staff….

Hideous…..I just cant watch it anymore… If I was in Newcastle I would go nutts. In my country of birth the fans took the streets when they where unhappy the way their club was run.

• 10 HullMag6 // Jul 16, 2013 at 8:36 AM

Personally speaking and I may be dreaming a little, I dont think this is in kets league either and potentially do-able.

Krul
    Debuchy Mbiwa Colo Santon
    Sissoko Cabaye
    BenArfa S DeJong Marveaux
    L DeJong

Approach Munchengladbach about Luuk DeJong, Cisse + 5mil
    Sign Ince and Thauvin as cover/rotation with any attacking mids and sign another striker eg Remy or a n other but not Bent. He might be hungry now as an England spot may be up for grabs but as soon as thats over he’ll be worse than Shola my spurs mate says the same of Defoe – england chance red hot, when not becomes lazy.

• 11 Black and White with an army lol // Jul 16, 2013 at 8:36 AM

our team has been missing quality wingers and i think Santon is the answer to that

• 12 NUFCarter // Jul 16, 2013 at 8:36 AM

I dont know how im going to watch this game tonight. Its not on first row sports ffs.

• 13 Indian Magpie // Jul 16, 2013 at 8:36 AM

Gorgon

And we have clowns on the blog telling us that Ashley has saved the club.

Yeah long live JFK and denis wise

• 14 clinath@ed // Jul 16, 2013 at 8:36 AM

Jesper…keep up “Rumour has it….” this could be the new “…too good for Ashley”

• 15 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 16, 2013 at 8:37 AM

Indian,
    How many goals did Santon’s creativity lead to?? How many assists and goals did he get? How many times was he caught out of position for a goal or make a defensive error leading to a goal?

I like the lad, and think he is a decent player, but as a defender, I would prefer it if he defended first, and left the attacking for now. His errors/being caught out of position far outweigh assists and goals, so that needs redressing.

Whether that will happen under the current staff though….

• 16 JFK junior // Jul 16, 2013 at 8:37 AM

Santon is a cracking player and one of our very few plus points from last season.

We are lucky to have him imo.

• 17 Indian Magpie // Jul 16, 2013 at 8:39 AM

Is it me or have QPR spent more money than us this term?

• 18 Indian Magpie // Jul 16, 2013 at 8:41 AM

Lilo

Fine by me, Let Jonas attack and Santon defend.

• 19 JFK junior // Jul 16, 2013 at 8:42 AM

Hullmag – Would love thauvin at Newcastle.

Can any our France based bloggers tell me more on the situation with him? Didn’t he only just sign for Lille?

• 20 Black and White with an army lol // Jul 16, 2013 at 8:44 AM

if we are playing a 433 formation this coming season we only need a striker, RB & LB Debuchy & Santon can play as wingers because they are more attacking and could give cover for HBA & Marv, Jonas should be played as CM to put pressure the opponents and his work rate is immense

Krull
    RB?, Colo, MYM/Taylor, LB?
    Cabaye/Anita, Sissoko/Tiote, Jonas/Bigi
    HBA/Debuchy, Marv/Santon
    Cisse/Goofy

• 21 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 16, 2013 at 8:45 AM

Thauvin only recently joined Lille, no chance there I’m afraid.

• 22 lesh // Jul 16, 2013 at 8:45 AM

To Guiseppi Kinneari…….

Take note of Santon’s words – ‘…every player who comes to Newcastle from overseas needs a couple of months before they can feel totally comfortable’

We’re two weeks into the window and no signings yet and in fairness to Pardew, he doesn’t need this phartarsin about!

Comprende?

• 23 Toon_Tom // Jul 16, 2013 at 8:48 AM

• 24 Markaccus // Jul 16, 2013 at 8:50 AM

Come on, jijo kina-nova. Sign someone

• 25 Markaccus // Jul 16, 2013 at 8:51 AM

Jeje kinardiola

• 26 Markaccus // Jul 16, 2013 at 8:53 AM

Josippe kinari

• 27 Markaccus // Jul 16, 2013 at 8:54 AM

That last one was meant to be scolari but it isnt the best :D

• 28 jeff // Jul 16, 2013 at 8:54 AM

“For example, the best-conditioned No 4 is Vurnon Anita.”

Vurnon realy wants it this year u can tell unless your a fat mackem like tsunki who just envelops him in his fat whenever he gets close

• 29 JFK junior // Jul 16, 2013 at 8:54 AM

Tom – Will give us a great inside view on the squads pre season and return to fitness.

Can’t wait to see the line up! Anita and mbiwa both starting is excellent news!

• 30 Rotonda heights // Jul 16, 2013 at 8:55 AM

have our coaching staff ever developed anyone?

• 31 JFK junior // Jul 16, 2013 at 8:55 AM

Jeff – You REALLY don’t like Tsunki do you!

Why not?

• 32 WWYCD // Jul 16, 2013 at 8:56 AM

If we ever have to play Debuchy and Santon as our wingers we’d be in serious trouble imo

Santons gives a great interview and I like the kid certainly upped his game early last season but his decisions are too often naive hopefully Hadiara will knock that out of him

• 33 Black and White with an army lol // Jul 16, 2013 at 8:56 AM

is the match on firstsrow sports? i can’t seem to find it unless it’s on later on tonight, if not is there a site that it’s actually on?

• 34 JFK junior // Jul 16, 2013 at 8:57 AM

Rotonda heights – Did I hear that we have added a conditioning and rehab coach to our setup?

We know that that was our biggest downfall last season. Couldn’t last 90mins and horrendous injury record.

• 35 Black and White with an army lol // Jul 16, 2013 at 9:00 AM

WWYCD

how would it be serious trouble if we played them as wingers surely every 1 would have them as wingers instead of Obertan & Sammy

• 36 WWYCD // Jul 16, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Black and white
    Because they are full backs when we’d need wingers

• 37 stuart no9 // Jul 16, 2013 at 9:08 AM

I really hope santon has a great season . hes a top guy , hard worker. , like a lot of them , he needs to improve on last season ,but i think he will. its great hes settled here with a family – he could have wanted away to a bigger club for a more successful career ,also the fact he is still just a kid really is great he loves it so much in our city. hope it works out for him.

• 38 GeordieDan // Jul 16, 2013 at 9:24 AM

Why do some supporters continually claim Santon should be a winger?

Just because he’s better going forward than defending and has a trick or 2 doesn’t mean he’s the next Gareth Bale.

I’ll agree he’s probably more of a threat than Jonas these days but most players are.

Santon is a good attacking fullback who REALLY needs to work on his defending positioning. He’s not a winger imo at all. His crossing isn’t great and his final ball isn’t fantastic either.

Don’t get me wrong though I think he is a very decent players who could be mint, IF he works on his defensive game.

previous post: Harper Will Face Competition At Hull – So What’s New?

next post: Longest Serving Player Now Likely To Leave Newcastle