The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Young Star Back In The Frame At Newcastle

10:23 am, Wednesday, July 17th, 2013 by Ed Harrison · 19 Comments

Alan Pardew will be well pleased with the team performance last night at Motherwell, where there were some very good performances put in by some of out fringe players.

Motherwell v Newcastle United - Pre Season Friendly

Haris Vuckic – congratulated by Gouffran after scoring last night

One such performance was from 20 year-old Haris Vuckic, playing his first game since having that bad ACL knee injury last October, and Haris looked what he is – a very good young footballer

Haris was essentially playing as a laid back striker behind Yoan Gouffran, and since he has an eye for goal, that seems a good position to play the Slovenian International.

And Gouffran and Vuckic combined for the first two goals, and looked good playing up front together.

This is what Vuckic told the Shields Gazette today:

“I’m very happy,” “After nine months working hard and in the shadows, the gaffer gave me a chance.” “I’ve really worked hard in training.” “On the pitch, we played well and created a lot of chances.”

“It was important that we won, and the goal was a bonus for me. Everything’s good – I’m happy!” “I was a little bit surprised that I was starting straight away, but in the summer holidays I was really working hard and pushing myself to get really fit.

“I wanted to get into the team. The gaffer gave me a chance, and the most important thing is to keep him happy.” “Sometimes those are the best goals, when you get that gift and you just have to tap them in.”

“Actually, the ball surprised me a little bit, so I had to react pretty quick. Thankfully, it was a goal.” “The most important thing was that we looked good and played sharp.” “For example, in the first game of last pre-season the 1-0 defeat to Chemnitzer, we didn’t look confident.”

“But we created a lot of chances, and looked sharp and confident. That’s a good start to pre-season.” “We trained together,” he added. “I haven’t had a lot of time to get to know Yoan Gouffran on the pitch, and see how he runs, but I think we played well together.”

This is an important season for Vuckic, whose time on Tyneside has been blighted by one injury after another in the dour and a half years he’s been on Tyneside.

So we hope this player, who turns 21 next month can stay free of injury, and also be able to put up with the physical demands of the English game, although at 6’2″ tall, he looks a strapping player for Newcastle.

And certainly last night his performance impressed manager Alan Pardew, who said this after the game:

“Haris was terrific on his return.”

Vuckic was brought to Newcastle in January of 2009 at just 16 years of age, and at that time he was thought to be a great young player in the making.

This season is when Haris has to come through at Newcastle.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Haris Vuckic · Newcastle News · Newcastle U21 · Newcastle Youth · Yoan Gouffran

19 responses so far ↓

• 1 Ben3arfa // Jul 17, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Haris is a top player , this has to be his breakout season providing he keeps fit .

I have great faith in his ability

• 2 Zero // Jul 17, 2013 at 10:27 AM

He will be like a new signing… see we got one over the line lol

• 3 NUFC_LEAZES END // Jul 17, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Don’t be expecting any atmosphere next season

• 4 rainrix // Jul 17, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Now he just needs to stay fit instead of being a player we only see in pre season.

• 5 richyg01 // Jul 17, 2013 at 10:29 AM

He just needs to stay fit, he is a great player with great talent, needs to just keep injury free

• 6 toonarmydownsouth // Jul 17, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Toonarmydownsouth
    0 mins ago
    Ian toon
    Been really and admittedly surprised by dummetts progression, goes to show game time is better experience rather than simply training with the first team!
    He’s come on fantastically and looks really determined to prove his worth and seems to be willing to take his chance and fight for a senior spot rather than go back on loan good on him!

The big question is where is he rated by the coaching staff?
    Going to be a real battle between santon haidara and dummett!

Were you at the game? How did vuckic look?
    And do you think Campbell should stay and get the odd 20 mins or head out on loan?

Sage
    With the arrival of tevez it juve, I’d have a punt on giovinco(?)

• 7 wolfshead@toon // Jul 17, 2013 at 10:33 AM

lesh

lmao :-)

• 8 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Jul 17, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Prerviops thread

TOTALLY AGREE -your words
    ‘”We also need to find a way to link the team up. Currently each position is isolated and little link up play between areas”
    If we can link defence, midfield, attack we would have a bloody good team – Maybe Just maybe we have seen a sea change yesterday.

And I think we need two forwards (goalscorers) Bent being the second but who else we get in ?????
    Not so bothered with the rest of the team and signings – 2 forwards would do me.

• 9 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 17, 2013 at 10:36 AM

So we’ve got 3 left backs competing for a spot and just one right back? I wonder if Santon will be considered as back-up to Debuchy?

So if Debuchy is injured then Santon moves there and Haidara/Dummet takes his place at left back…

• 10 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 17, 2013 at 10:38 AM

So all it takes is a friendly win against a diddy Scottish team and people are suddenly all positive and thinking Haris and Dummet are going to be top players?

Funny that all we needed was a little football to watch rather than zero transfers and JFK’s garbage.

• 11 Levi // Jul 17, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Toon darn sarf.

ye i think they will just move santon over. Plus Anita can do a terrific job at right back

• 12 low fell mag // Jul 17, 2013 at 10:41 AM

I have read on the blog this morning that it looks like we have signed Darren Bent ,and it looks like people are moaning .
    If we sign Remmy along with Bent I will be a happy bunny.
    Bent knows if he can get his form back there is a good chance of going to the world cup.
    Never mind the age ,can anybody tell me how old Van Persie is ,as I do know he is no spring chicken.
    On them lines Ryan Giggs is older than me granny.
    Speaking about Man Utd how the mighty will fall.

• 13 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Jul 17, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Transfer Sage

Previuos thread

TOTALLY AGREE -your words

• 14 wolfshead@toon // Jul 17, 2013 at 10:45 AM

tds

vukic has always had class he just needs to be injury free for a while and blossom?

• 15 richyg01 // Jul 17, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Straight swap Rooney for Cabaye?

• 16 Levi // Jul 17, 2013 at 10:50 AM

To every one who thinks right back cover is a priority please look at this article. I know Anita isn’t great 1st choice right back but he is excellent cover.

• 17 Lowesy // Jul 17, 2013 at 11:01 AM

i’ve seen that liverpool are in for Shaqiri, wasn’t he a target for us at one time?
    funnily enough, so was Christian Erikson. Shouldn’t we be buying these players when we target them? There was another player, Barcelona are bidding for him, a midfielder I think, can’t remember their name though. But it was the same deal.

• 18 one Tony Green // Jul 17, 2013 at 11:11 AM

@3 there has not been any atmoshere at St James’ for years.

• 19 Noah Another Ameobi // Jul 17, 2013 at 4:35 PM