The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Pardew Changes Coaching Roles For Next Season

9:50 am, Tuesday, July 23rd, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 27 Comments

One of the things that Alan Pardew and his staff found difficult to do last season, was get enough time on the training field with the squad, and that was because of the European games in midweek, and while our Premier League season was a disaster, we did well to reach the quarter finals of the Europa League last season – and we shouldn’t forget that one bright spot.

alan pardew in Portugal 2103

Alan Pardew – more hands on in training this season

Because we are not in Europe this season, the lads should be a lot more prepared for the Premier League games than last season, although of course if we are to become a top team again, then we have to be able to navigate the European games.

Certainly the great Bobby Robson was able to do that very successfully, when he managing at the club over ten years ago.

Alan Pardew sees himself more on the training field this coming season, and he has given new responsibilities to coach Steve Stone, as he had this to say in the Evening Chronicles today:

“I have decided this year to do more work on the training ground myself.” “Me and John Carver are sharing it now.”

“Stoney is focusing more on the development group, and making sure when they enter the first team that they are looked after.” “Our loan players too.”

“Steve’s in charge of Adam, Sammy, Dummett, Jak and Haris and making sure when players come from development to the first team they are looked after.”

“If we loan them out, we have to make sure they are being looked after as well.” “When they are not featuring for the first team, they need to be looked after.”

“His role has changed a little bit.” “I think that will work well.”

There’s no doubt the Newcastle squad are working very hard in Portugal, maybe too hard, and we were taken apart in the first 26 minutes at Rio Ave on Saturday night, and we face an even stronger test tonight against Pacos de Ferreira, at the Estadio da Capital do Movel.

Pacos de Ferreira finished third in the Primeira last season, three places and 12 points above Rio Ave, and they will also be in good shape right now, because they are in the qualifying rounds of the Champions League next month.

It’s going to be another tough game tonight, but we hope to see Fabricio Coloccini, Ben Arfa and Mathieu Debuchy in the starting line-up, and that should help – we hope that should help. :D

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Coaching · Europa League · European Competition · Premier League

27 responses so far ↓

• 1 pawl250 // Jul 23, 2013 at 9:54 AM

Slank

I like Gouffran, he has pace, hes good in the year (an attribute we should use more often this year given how small he is, player for player he should grab a few goals) and he works hard.

Marveaux for me is more exciting, more skillful and creative.

The perfect player would be blending both together, but I feel in a team where you already have Ben Arfa as a skillful player, and alot of creativity in Cabaye and Sissoko Gouffran could well be the better option.

It certainly is a good question which you would prefer.

Anita/Tiote debate is another one, or Mbiwa/STaylor.

I feel Tiote is more aggressive and his presence is more noted than Anita, although not as technically gifted. Mbiwa is certainly the better defender than STaylor, with arguably just as much commitment as his character makes up for the passion in the shirt STaylor has.

• 2 Griff-toon // Jul 23, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Hi chaps! Everyone enjoying their holidays?

Im currently sitting with my laptop in the sun on the porch with a nice cold can of Coca Cola :)

Its a good day :)

• 3 Ian Toon // Jul 23, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Spurs have similar transfer priorities to us, they need
    a striker or two. The football media around the globe
    advises us that Franco Baldini has met up with his
    Valencia equivalents in order to finalise the signing
    of Soldado.

So with the David Villa and Benteke options
    disappearing their answer to JK( sic) looks
    to accelerate negotiations.

What is uncle Joe doing? I am reliably advised
    that there have been no recent sittings of him or Carr
    at Newcastle airport.

• 4 Ian Toon // Jul 23, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Gouffron lacked stamina it seemed post the Spurs game.
    He needs to up his overall fitness level in my opinion.

• 5 Spoof // Jul 23, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Ian

their have been no sightings of them at the airport either, when it comes to sittings it appears as if thats all they are doing lol

• 6 jeff // Jul 23, 2013 at 10:04 AM

you guys think gignac is worse than ba

LOLed, have u ever watched him before

• 7 corkypants85 // Jul 23, 2013 at 10:06 AM

i promised myself i wasnt coming back on the blog untill we signed a decent player, i just couldnt resist someone must have some news!!! are we actually in contact with any player! my taxi driver last nite told me we had signed Gomis and Remy while i was out shopping i nearly did a sex wee in my pants only to find out he was pulling my pinkie :-(

• 8 Ian Toon // Jul 23, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Spoof- Quite. Ha ha.

• 9 Spoof // Jul 23, 2013 at 10:07 AM

jeff

I don’t think Gignac is as bad as many believe him to be, I wouldn’t mind him joining us, but he is nowhere near the class of Ba.

• 10 Griff-toon // Jul 23, 2013 at 10:10 AM

pawl250

use Anita at home where we should have more ball possession and Tiote away to break down play and be quick on the counter attack with ben arfa and obertan on the wings ;)

Or better get a new pacy winger to replace Obertan

• 11 richyg01 // Jul 23, 2013 at 10:11 AM

SSN:

Newcastle’s interest in Bafetimbi Gomis has been well documented, but could Tottenham also be chasing the Lyon striker? L’Equipe are reporting that Spurs have contacted the French club to find out what terms the £8.5million-rated striker is seeking.

• 12 Ian Toon // Jul 23, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Spoof- There have been – even.

• 13 rossi // Jul 23, 2013 at 10:11 AM

what is the gen on this guy is he any good !!

• 14 DarloGeordie // Jul 23, 2013 at 10:15 AM

Moving back to the UK in a couple of weeks pretty gutted to be honest but my oh my how I have missed my constant mistress nufc I’ll be going to every match I can all you boycotters go piss off to Australia and watch “soccer” for two years n you will be drewlling in fact foaming for some Newcastle action…

Perch leaving, best piece of transfer business this decade I’ll
    Never forget the diving header own goal, perchy you won’t be missed.

I predict a nice healthy top ten finish this season

• 15 JARRAMAG // Jul 23, 2013 at 10:17 AM

It makes me laugh when people are trying to speculate on who is going to be signed when you only have to look at previous windows to see what will happen.

Ashley was forced to spend approx £18 mill in Jan to keep us up and will want this money returned(dont forget his motto “No capital outlay”)

His summer signings were done in Jan

The only way to recoup his £18 mill is to sell 1 or 2 purples,so if Cabaye goes for £25 mill then £7mill will be spent on a striker(books balanced)

In my humble opinion
    1)We had one of the worst defences in the premiership(Pardue has claimed he is happy with the defence)
    2)We had a midfield who do not create many chances for our forward(Pardue has claimed he is happy with the midfield)
    3)We only have 1 top goalscorer in our team(could be none if Cisse goes)I feel we need 2 strikers without Cisse leaving.

In conclusion i believe Pardue has been told he will only get 1 new striker in(£5-7 mill only)

I just hope we stay injury free because Ashley is gambling again big style and Pardue is going to be the fall guy if we get off to a bad start.

God help us.

• 16 jazzyp // Jul 23, 2013 at 10:18 AM

darlogeordie
    nice to see a bit of optimism on here for a change

• 17 nut meg // Jul 23, 2013 at 10:22 AM

News coming in on twitter reporting that Falcao’s age is 29 & not 27……..we dodged a bullet there then eh lol

• 18 lesh // Jul 23, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Speed rumoured to be interested in Gomis? Suspect it’s more like Gomis’s agent trying to up his payday.

In any event, this lack of activity just shows that friend Kinnear is way out of his depth – again!

He must surely have a probationary period in his contract?

C’mon Joe, do the right thing and resign – your credibility’d rise substantially!

• 19 Tyldesley Toon // Jul 23, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Jarramag

In one of pardews interviews, either yesterday or the day before he says “get someone through the door” which would suggest one…. Unfortunately…

We need two class strikers (can be unknown and cheap if they have quality and can handle the PL) we need santon on RW and a new LW. Stephen Taylor is a liability, his tackling, pace and vision is not good enough. He has never improved really and appears to be hanging on…. Shola needs to go, he’s about as useless as a chocolate fire guards and somebody needs to sit down with cisse using, ketchup, and salt n pepper shakers to teach him the offside rule.

I’ve been a big fan of nufc for 20 years and have been to many games, however the atmosphere has changed so much, still the greatest fans around but have lost their passion

• 20 Ian Toon // Jul 23, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Spurs have a vibrancy which stems from the top with Levy.
    AVB is the best young manager at his level. They run the
    football club from top to grass root academy level.
    It’s not all about spending( although that helps) they are well
    run whilst we it seems are bureaucratic, indecisive and
    not opportunistic. Lets get our act together it’s gone
    beyond the pathetic.

• 21 DarloGeordie // Jul 23, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Jazzyp

Honestly mate I can’t wait to hold one of them tickets in my hand n slide through them turnstiles, have a sly few pints and make my way to my seat, pie in hand haha literally giddy thinking about it…

I have missed it so much

• 22 lesh // Jul 23, 2013 at 10:27 AM

• Speed = sperz

• 23 jazzyp // Jul 23, 2013 at 10:31 AM

darlogeordie
    I hope we have the team to match the enthusiasm of the supporters. And we don’t have a repeat of last season.
    haven’t had chance to sample a beer in the new nine bar yet that use to be shearers, so will be making that my first task on our first home game against carrol and his cronies

• 24 jazzyp // Jul 23, 2013 at 10:32 AM

lesh
    speed sperz spurs ????

• 25 Rotonda heights // Jul 23, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Were we still in Europe when we lost to Liverpool, Sunderland, Arsenal etc at home? Plus there was quite a break between the last 16 and quarter final stages and we played virtually a different team in the early stages of Europa. On top of that we crashed in the first rounds of both domestic cups. Tell Oscar and co we played too many matches!! Spurs are in Europe again I see.

The move to appoint Faye Downey is at least an admittance that our fitness levels were truly appalling
    last season and the best thing we have done to address it for a long time. I’ll give Pardew that one as I can’t imagine the best D.O.F in world football had ever heard of Faye.

It’s ironic saying when we loan players they need to be looked after. Ironic because if they went to somewhere like Crewe under Dario Gradi they would receive far superior coaching than NUFC can offer them. What a truly damning indictment.

Darlo I’m sure Ashley will welcome you with open arms as you’ll just help perpetuate the misery being heaped upon us. I guess you didn’t get to see much of last season. No one is advocating anything long term, just a couple of half empty stadiums to make Ash think about the only thing that matters to him.

• 26 wynsleap // Jul 23, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Changing the pattern of coaching duties.
    More like rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic!

• 27 Ian Toon // Jul 23, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Rotonda- I have registered you in praise of Pardew.
    You must have typed through a grimace and clenched
    teeth.
    I heard at the weekend from a reputable football
    journalist that were likely to be making two signings
    towards the end of the week.
    Torq Toon
    Your posts were a great way to start the day with a coffee. Even those
    taking the football out of football are realising what they’re missing.
    Come back your not a prima donna.

previous post: Newcastle’s Top Midfielder Is A Total 100% Professional