The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

An About Turn For Newcastle Striker?

10:45 am, Thursday, July 25th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 221 Comments

Alan Pardew had said at the end of the season that Shola Ameobi was unsettled at Newcastle, because he was not getting much playing time, and that he may want to leave the club this summer to get first team football elsewhere.

shola ameobi in burgundy

Shola Ameobi – great when fit and willing

And Alan Pardew a few days ago said that he had heard nothing from Shola about asking for a move or anything like that and Shola today has been interviewed in the local press and he seems happy enough to see out the final year of his contract, so that seems like a bit of a turnaround to us.

This is what Shola told the Evening Chronicle today:

“I’m a Newcastle player and I’ve got a year left on my contract.” “Every season there’s been speculation about me.” “I’ve always been focused on Newcastle.”
“Whatever happens, happens, but I don’t really pay much attention.”

“I just want to score goals for Newcastle.” “I feel I can play football for Newcastle. I think I’ve got a little bit left in me.” “Whichever way the club wants to go, it’s down to them.”

“If I’m wanted at Newcastle, I’ll play at Newcastle. If I’m not, I’ll go elsewhere.” “It means a lot to be playing now. I’m in the latter stages of my career.”
“In recent months, I haven’t done that, which is very frustrating.

“I feel like I’m fit and strong enough to compete with anyone here at Newcastle.” “Hopefully, I can push for a place.” “It’s pre-season. At the end of the day, it doesn’t mean much.”

“It was great to start my first game.” “I had a little niggle back in England, and thankfully the hand injury wasn’t as bad as first thought.” “I felt stronger as the game went on.”

“Scoring goals is what I’m about, and hopefully I can continue this nice vein of form.”

Ameobi made his debut as an 18 year-old back in September, 200 in a home game against Chelsea under Bobby Robson, and the then Newcastle manager was a big fan of the young lad, and when Ameobi is fit and willing he can be a very good player for Newcastle, and he’s scored two good goals in the last two pre-season games.

But Shola is not always fit, and when he is fit he’s not always willing – so he’s been a bit of an enigma at Newcastle over the last 13 years, although he’s had some great moments for Newcastle – usually against a certain side called Sunderland.

It probably depends on what success Newcastle have in the transfer window this summer, as to whether Shola will leave the club, but with news today that Pardew could send young Adam Campbell out on loan, it would be good to have Shola available, because he’s a very experienced player, and can come on and change a game – when he’s fit and willing.

And to be fair he’s done that quite a few times in his career.

Comments welcome, but please keep them civil.

We are trying to help Ingo Hagemann who is an International student at Northumbria University studying for an MSc in Sports Marketing, and he’s doing a survey as part of his Masters dissertation. The survey is on the controversial sponsorship between Wonga and Newcastle and it takes only five to ten minutes to complete.

Please help Ingo by taking the survey here – many thanks.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Contracts · Newcastle News · Shola Ameobi · Transfer News and Rumours

221 responses so far ↓

• 1 G // Jul 25, 2013 at 10:47 AM

To be honest, love him or hate him, can we really afford to let a striker out of the door right now?

• 2 richyg01 // Jul 25, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Someone tell him we don’t want him!!!

• 3 xx sum ting wong xx // Jul 25, 2013 at 10:51 AM

@jamie from 2 posts ago.

My best line up is

Krul
    Deb mym Colo Santon
    Anita Cabs Sissoko
    HBA Cisse Gouffran

Then I would like us to sign Shane Long, Remy, Sinclair or Jarvis

• 4 Barras // Jul 25, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Shola ’56 Premier League Goals in 12 years’ Ameobi.

• 5 xx sum ting wong xx // Jul 25, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Barras

Lots of important goals though and brings others into the game very well

• 6 xx sum ting wong xx // Jul 25, 2013 at 10:56 AM

And in my line up, Cabs would be deeper than Anita and sissoko

• 7 Bearsize // Jul 25, 2013 at 10:57 AM

He has a bit left in him? No please shola you aint. Send shola out on loan not campbell. Players know not to run 50yards to support shola as the ball will be lost or he will foul. He scored in 2 pre season games wow! How many did he get last season 1? Be a true fan and step down. I have kittens every time i watch you

• 8 plana // Jul 25, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Pardew, out! The inspector clueless, of football management. Another day of ifs maybes and buts from the master of gibberish

• 9 foggonridiculous // Jul 25, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Food for thought from the ameobi unofficial web site

Many appearances as sub…

2008 – 09 Newcastle United FC 14 (8) 4
    2009 – 10 Newcastle United FC 12 (9) 11
    2010 – 11 Newcastle United FC 26 (7) 6
    2011 – 12 Newcastle United FC 6 (3) 1
    TOTAL - 196 (125) 68

• 10 Barras // Jul 25, 2013 at 10:58 AM

“Scoring goals is what I’m about” – No Shola. Please stop lying.

• 11 nico // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:00 AM

My uncle works at Newcastle airport and he’s seen Gomis and Remy arrive in the last hour. My sisters brother is a taxi driver who has also seen them. My daughter works in a post office in Newcastle and she also says she’s seen them. LOOKS LIKE TODAY IS THE DAY

• 12 brian kilclines pony tail // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:00 AM

worst player to ever to represent us over a decade, if we dont get a striker and cisse got injured i would rather play 6 midfielders.

i think they (pards and shola) know that he wouldnt pass a fitness test for any decent team.

looks like we’re stuck with him until his contract winds down and they offer him a new one again.

• 13 colwell // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:01 AM

The scouse boy at work have been ripping into to our team alot, they do however much it pains me have valid points.

Debuchy and Santon- poor defenders.
    Colo and M’biwa as CB’s are both too small and would be a bad pairing.

Cabaye- Plays well every 5 games,
    Tiote – runs around, loses ball constant and fouls continuously.
    Sissoko- they reckon is good but not a winger.
    HBA- brilliant but why get him to defend and use his energy up?
    Cisse- Shite first touch, no pace, can’t score when he has time.

Some point I suppose are right I did try to rip their team but fcuk me its pretty much better then ours all over, plus they actually play good football.

• 14 pawl250 // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Its hard to think that we will sign anyone.

Gomis
    Remy
    Siem De Jong!!

PLEASE, we sign these guys we have a stronger looking squad.

Sell Shola, Sell Obertan, Sell Gosling.

———————- Krul ———————-
    Debuchy – Mbiwa – Coloccini – Santon
    ——– Cabaye – Tiote – Sissoko ———
    Ben Arfa ——– Cisse ————- Remy

or if De Jong comes in.

———————- Krul ———————-
    Debuchy – Mbiwa – Coloccini – Santon
    ————- Cabaye – Sissoko ————–
    Ben Arfa ——- De Jong ———– Remy
    ————— Cisse or Gomis —————-

Would be a strong, fast squad.

• 15 G // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:01 AM

To be fair fog, most of those appearances are the last 20 mins from the bench, you did state that (going for the subway-sandwich joke maybe?) however, it’s worth pointing out regardless. I still feel Shola is nowhere near as bad a player as he’s made out to be, but he isn’t as instinctive a striker as we would like him to be. Always takes one touch too many in my opinion.

• 16 count // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Wow! An article where TADS hasn’t commented yet! Must have had to go for a toilet break after spending a disgusting amount of time wasting his time commenting on here.

Sad tosspot. Is this the only place where people will listen to you?
    How on earth do you find the time to be constantly commenting on here. Why don’t you try real life.

• 17 colwell // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Shola’s most prolific season was in the championship, that is and always ha been his level. His brother will be the same.

• 18 richyg01 // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Interesting article in The Journal

• 19 richyg01 // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:04 AM

@17

Sammy was pi$$ poor at Boro.

• 20 Rotonda heights // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Can’t help but like Shola but it’s sad he is still here by default due to the fact we haven’t got ” anyone over the line ” and ” in the building”

• 21 savio // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Hi Friends,

I really think we will get gomis…really hope we keep all our quality players and sign the 3 strikers mentioned here….my concern is regarding sunderland and the players they have signed…have they signed any quality players…do you guys seen any of those guys before…i have heard of altidore and giacherrini…and i do know that sessegnon and johnson are quality players…please let me know if you anything on those new guys…it will be really worse if they overtake us in the league…that will be worst thing to happen…

• 22 xx sum ting wong xx // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Nico

Did they get any pics?

• 23 Toon_Tom // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:06 AM

nico – if you stopped at the airport people may believe you – you then go on to taxi drivers and post office clerks!!!

So Remy and Gomis are waiting for a Blue Line Taxi to take them directly to the post office??

• 24 Bearsize // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:07 AM

What dirt has this guy got on the toon? How often do you get frustrated with him? Cant wait to buy 2 strikers and keep cisse, but thing with shola is he will be happy being 4-5 choice and is lying by saying he will leave. Injurys will get him back on the bench or back on the pitch. He always scores when his contract is due. I say dont offer him one and he might score 5 goals off his arse this season. Shola is poo

• 25 clinath@ed // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Please Count stop before you start….for the sake of the rest of us!! Don’t want to spend another day reading a senseless
    slagging match between two or more bloggers.
    Please.

• 26 G // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Nico, I just rang my mate who works at the airport. Only had 3 planes land at Newcastle today (for passengers anyway) from Amsterdam at 10ish, Paris a few mins ago, and one from London. None of them have got their bags yet, so I doubt your taxi-scouts are accurate on this one, however, I love your optimism.

• 27 Rotonda heights // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Nico

with respect would your daughter recognise gomis and Remy?

• 28 foggonridiculous // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:08 AM

I actually agree with you G

If my maths is up to snuff (doubtful) it’s about 1 in 3.

He’s the club’s marmite – you love him or hate him.

I know he’s limited as a player and is never gonna’ rip a team apart but – imo – he has sometimes done a job for us.

….back to the ward now….there’s more of you bloggers in here with me than I thought…

I won’t name “names” though :-)

• 29 colwell // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:08 AM

richyg01

Yeah Sammy was he did score a cracker though, my main point is I can’t see him being Prem standard.

• 30 JaxtheMag // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:08 AM

shola is that good,no1 has ever tried to sign him in 10 years,wonder if harry wants him

• 31 ArtyH // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Repost.
    Pardew cant loose now as JFK is responsible for transfers, JFK will take all the flack for no signings.
    Reflecting on last years ludicrous off sides by poor officials, before the start of the season Pardew should make a statement that the forwards have had intense training about the ” off side trap “. Stating our forwards will have been drilled to start a step behind the opposition defender in order to negate the poor or biased decisions made by the suspect officials. This will be all over the T.V and the net and make the officials aware they will be scrutinised and hopefully we will be treated fairly. Just my thoughts. After all if someone says to you ” What ever you do don’t think of a pink elephant “, what’s the first thing that comes into your mind? Just my thoughts on one of our problems from last season.

• 32 pawl250 // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Colwell -

Ask them what happens when Liverpool lose Suarez….

They will be on par with us!

Like Johnson is a good defender?! LOL

Gerrard is past it.

Sterling is a few games wonder, disappeared after 4-5 games in the league.

Pass back Joe Allen.

Henderson runs round like a chicken with no real end product.

Downing is preferred left back these days!

Borini couldnt hit a barn door.

Sturridge although a good striker needs to stop being greedy, he could have set other players up atleast 4-5 times last season.

They have an average team themselves without Suarez….

Handful of good players i.e. Mignolet, Enrqiue (arguably not been the same since leaving us), Coutinho, Suarez.

They do have a better squad than us, I mean they have spent some money on it, but seriously without Suarez they would struggle to maintain top 7, I mean they might but its a possibility given a couple of years ago they were very average even with Suarez, who looks like he maybe off too!

• 33 JP...from The Rock // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:10 AM

repost:

magpie6699 – Blind hatred? I’ve been painfully watching that clown Strolla try to kick a ball cleanly and score for more than 10 years! (shame he only does it in friendlies once a year)

And that sorry argument that he’s been loyal? Please don’t give me that tripe. Anyone would be loyal if they were at one of the best teams in Europe and earned as much as he gets paid.

Money and the fact that Strolla knows he’s shite is where his loyalty lies.

Even Championship teams will struggle to come to reasons for being interested in a player of such low quality.

I don’t ever shout stuff blindly unless we’re losing a match and I am watching it on telly.

This hatred has been building up season after season and our pathetic acceptance that if we don’t have any good strikers available-we still have Shola mentality really gets under my skin.

His goal scoring ratio has to be the worst in the world for a striker in ANY league. I’d rather have Kuqi than Shola, that’s how low I think of him. His quality is in talking his way onto a new extension.

Maybe Shola can convince Mike Ashley to signing something that resembles a striker using his persuasive powers, maybe that way we’ll see some movement in the transfer front and send STROLLA way down the pecking order.

rant over

• 34 colwell // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Paw1250

Well I said how shite Henderson is they respond with the guy scored against you when we hammered you 6 nil.

Except Johnson they have a good,strong defense.

Suarez is a huge difference in teams I know and Sturridge I would love him here. Apparently their new boys are pretty good but I’ve not seen them.

• 35 JAMSHA // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:14 AM

nico

mayb it was cisse with a wig on his way to the casino

• 36 xx sum ting wong xx // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:15 AM

There isn’t much love for shola on this blog. You lot should try SUPPORTING!

• 37 nico // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:16 AM

My uncles are all retired. I don’t have a sister or a daughter.

• 38 nico // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Sorry. Couldn’t help myself, I so bored…..

• 39 G // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Nice try at injecting some optimism into the blog anyway mate.

• 40 JP...from The Rock // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Ed – ‘When fit and WILLING’- you hit the nail there son. He is only willing to play well against Sunderland. I guess he knows that if you only play well against the scum and score against them then you can be shite for the rest of the year with no problem.

He’s been doing that ever since he started and most are just happy he scored against the scum and want to keep him for the next match against the scum. Now is that retarded or is that retarded!?? Would it not be better to replace this tool with a PROPER STRIKER- One that could score bag full of goals against the scum AND every other team!?? One that is ‘willing’ every time and not just twice a year.

I bet my left nut that had we replaced Strolla properly years ago we would have won something by now or at least score more past the scum.

• 41 Rotonda heights // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Nico

Bit sad that mate

• 42 count // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Clinath@ed – okay! It’s rare that I have the time to get into a slagging match anyway. I certainly won’t have time today.

Sorry for yesterday.

• 43 JP...from The Rock // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:23 AM

xx sum ting wong xx – Exactly I support the team not just one individual that takes us all for a ride with his sweet talk and then scrathes his arse all year round only to lay well against the scum. What good does that do for the TEAM I support? It’s like playing with 10 men every time he’s on and what type of message does that tell the rest of the TEAM?- not a good one. It tells the rest of the players that they can slack and play badly most of the times as long as you put a shift in once in a while. That is what Strolla does for the team and therefore I am against him and I fully support the TEAM!

• 44 wolfshead@toon // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:24 AM

lol @ ed trying to put the blame on jfk for no new players it aint rocket surgery not that im itk but if a player is for sale you contact the club and tell them you want him or is it more complicated than that? i.e tightarse ashley trying to save a few thousand the fat muppet

• 45 BenbulbenMag // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:27 AM

“But Shola is not always fit, and when he is fit he’s not always willing”

I think this sums Shola up perfectly.

• 46 OhSholaAmeobi // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:28 AM

someone tell me the point in criticizing and picking out every bad point in our players? surely we need to be picking them up and boosting them as much as we can in order to get a good start because they probably know as well as us that there won’t be any more than 3 signings.

Example: Tiote is one of the best in the world in his position when he’s on his game. Nobody applauds anymore when he wins the ball or plays a neat pass, they just groan when he fouls someone.

• 47 JFK junior // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:30 AM

I think NICO was only having a laugh lads.

Relax.

• 48 Big Pappa Cissé // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:30 AM

@ Jeff aka Sum ting wong

Give up the sharade m8 you are fooling no one but yourself. Suprised the boys from Prudhoe hospital have not been round with a special new jacket for you and a free years holiday ;) .

• 49 Readingmag // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:31 AM

I will prepare to get totally slated.

Give me Shola any day….will never be the best, never moans, never in trouble, never the fittest….but trys.
    Makes me laugh, cry and misses a few.

Loyal… Sir Bobby loved him..How me players have bought that have let us down.

Shola has never let me down love the guy.

• 50 Rotonda heights // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:31 AM

second time I’ve heard this. if only !!!

swemag (Newcastle United)
    Heard from a Brazilian friend that Newcastle have shown interest in Cruzeiro striker Vinícius Araújo who at only 20 years of age has taken the league by storm. No fee was mentioned but the player is thought to be valued at around £10M.

• 51 rainrix // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Readinmag… Here take this shield, you’ll need it!

• 52 Macas // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:33 AM

The fact that Pardew has to push for transfers to take place shows where the problem lies. I don’t think it’s Kinnear’s fault either, the men below Ashley can only work with what they are given. Ashley just doesn’t like to sign anyone unless he feels like he’s getting a great deal and good value for money. I think that’s why we leave it so late in the transfer window, hoping prices drop as clubs become more desperate to unload players to raise cash.

• 53 Rotonda heights // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Reading mag

tries !!!!!!!!!!

Really????? I have mates who support other teams and they always without fail say how lazy Shola is.

Trying should be a given for any footballer

• 54 OhSholaAmeobi // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:34 AM

No point in getting rid of Shola. Has no market value, helps all the new recruits and is a good influence round the dressing room. He’s useful as a 3rd/4th choice striker or an option off the bench, and he always scores in the cups.

• 55 colwell // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:34 AM

OhSholaAmeobi

Read my post its my Scouse mates who watch us alot because of me. I agrred on some aspects they said not all I wanted to see what others thought so I wasn’t being blinkered by my rose tinted glasses.

ALSO a blog is the place to talk about players good/bad points. As long as its not in the stands why does it matter????

• 56 marc // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:34 AM

shola is like a new signing

• 57 JP...from The Rock // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Readingmag – It fans like you that make us all look like fools. He hasn’t let you down? LOL He’s left the club down big time, every time he steps on to a pitch that 1- is not in Europe and 2- IS not against Sunderland. No wonder people think we’re deluded geeeeezz!

• 58 Rotonda heights // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:36 AM

JFK junior

who’s it going to make laugh given fans frustrations being at boiling point right about now. Don’t think anyone will be falling about at that one. Why bother?

• 59 wolfshead@toon // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:37 AM

macas

like i said ashley is a tightfisted clueless asshole haha

• 60 Yohancabaye4 // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Putain que des joueurs francais a NUFC

• 61 xx sum ting wong xx // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Big Pappa you weirdo. I am NOT Jeff. For god sake give it a rest. You’re obsessed.

• 62 Big Pappa Cissé // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:39 AM

@ oh Shola

I don’t think there are any NUFC players that feel un-loved by fans unless they are doing things wrong.

Shola is a player in one of the best leagues in the world yet has a scoring record almost as bad as his injury problems, and is tired after about 15 minutes after either starting or coming on as a sub.

Tiote has the qualities to be one of the best DM’s in the world but judging by the last season he is no where near. He picks up cautions like they are prizes, turns constantly on the edge of our box and can’t pass the ball 10 yards.

Does he get dropped ? , course not. Rather than giving Anita a run in the team despite playing well Tiote is a Pardew favourite. If I was manager Cheick would be benched until he could prove he is the player of a couple of years ago in training.

• 63 OhSholaAmeobi // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:39 AM

colwell

negativity in blogs like these is carried on to the terraces. it’s come to the point when we don’t get behind our team from the start, only after we’ve went in front (or usually behind and trying to come back)

• 64 boater // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Jp From The Rock – all stamping feet and angry, vitriolic bile. Worse – a Judas escariot to his own. His posts remind me of an asylum inmate who has taken to smearing their own feces across their wall.

• 65 Rowan Milsted // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:41 AM

‘TRANSFERS: Loic Remy has been backed from 6/4 to 1/3 to join Newcastle and Gary Hooper is now 1/7 to go to Norwich -> sky.me/15hytfE’ (Skysports sources).

Interesting. Also, good ol’ Hoots seems to have ‘gazumped’ floppy chops for Hooper. Good work! Apparently West Brom are very keen on Sinclair – we should gazump that one ourselves.

• 66 Macas // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:43 AM

wolfshead – Had missed your comment but totally agree. It’s interesting to see that the mackems now seem to be following our transfer blueprint to an extent, the only difference is that they actually go out and buy players!

• 67 wolfshead@toon // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:43 AM

boater

vitriolic? harsh lol

• 68 yorkshire_magpie // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Sky sources saying we are about to strike a deal for Remy and that the bookies are putting us favourites to sign him!

• 69 Belfast // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Bloody hell the bad news keeps on coming.
    I thought this window we were finally going to get rid of him. I’m sure he’ll probably end up getting a new deal, now that I’ve said that.

• 70 Belfast // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:45 AM

I actually laughed when I heard that Hooper news earlier. lol

Old dog face thought he’d sealed that one yesterday going by his comments.

• 71 spudzzz // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:45 AM

anyone have any thoughts on Alsessandro Matri ? Young italian international striker…plays for Juventus….probably be sold due to tevez and LLorente arriving…Seems Everton are on the case
    i for one think he would be perfect for us

• 72 xx sum ting wong xx // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Hope the Remy news is true. Top notch player. Shame he’s a bit “rapey” shall we say.

• 73 Yohancabaye4 // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Remy transfer to NUFC is on hold as QPR are demanding to include Shola in the deal but AP is not willing

• 74 Big Pappa Cissé // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:47 AM

The only players Sunderland have signed that I would actually have are Giaccherrini and maybe Altidore. Other than tha I’m not worried.

Hope the news on Remy is true. Get rid of Shola and we can have this strikeforce next season

Cisse, Remy, Gomis, Gouffran

That means we can send Campbell out on loan for the season.

• 75 foggonridiculous // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Jp …

Are you seriously arguing (as well as staking your no doubt invaluable left one) that Shola alone is responsible for the toon not winning anything?

He may well be a factor in the overall scenario…but solely to blame?

No need to refer to fellow posters as deluded, fools or retarded either.

Not nice, big or clever.

You don’t rate shola. Accepted – no need for the abuse.

• 76 spudzzz // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:48 AM

take the young out…hes actually 29

• 77 Belfast // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Wouldn’t read anything into that Remy stuff.

Your man Moose who works for talksport said that he was joining us yesterday, so a few of his followers have took it as gospel and put money on it.

• 78 Big Pappa Cissé // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:49 AM

@ Spuddz

I agrree m8 . If not him then we could go for Giovinco at the same club.

• 79 Readingmag // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Love the comments….supporting us way to long to worry about other peoples points of views..

.Lets spend large again on big ego driven, greedy, moneygrapping big heads who let us down. Thats the beauty of Football we all have diffrent views.

Shola still my hero !

• 80 Transfer Sage // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Nico

Brilliant read there.

So obvious you were joking though, classic over the top story. Think you need a few more sightings next time…anymore relatives? Haha

• 81 xx sum ting wong xx // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:50 AM

On ability alone. Who is everyone’s number 1 striker target?

• 82 jimmysmith // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:50 AM

I would much prefervShola to Campbell at this stage, and actually probably to Gouffran too, But God willing we get atleast one good one in and keep Cisse, otherwise we’re gonna be carting sh@ up hill, to put none to fine a point on it.

• 83 richyg01 // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Odds reduced on Remy coming here – Sky Bet 1/3

• 84 brian kilclines pony tail // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:51 AM

@rainrix ha, class

• 85 toonfan76 // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Greetings fellow NUFC fans. Just been taking another look at the sending off given to Collo the other day and have to say, did you all see the way their striker was trying to elbow Collo in the head in the collision that led up to the now famous choke hold. They were a dirty bunch and I feel the kid jumped up to confront Collo then realized the size of him and thought oops. I also spotted one of their players saying something to one of our players and getting a reaction. can’t remember who but they were defo trying to stir it up big time.

• 86 richyg01 // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:53 AM

@50

Is your friend actually Brazilian, or just shaved that way!?

• 87 spudzzz // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Juve will be offloading attacking players…and they have a lot o f quality…im surprised there isnt more talk about those juve players leaving…they have a lot of quality in that team…Giovinco could be very intersting player…fast clever…eye for goal…(might need to bulk up though as he is on the midget side of the scale)

• 88 richyg01 // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:53 AM

West Brom boss Steve Clarke has made the signing of winger Scott Sinclair a priority, reports the Daily Telegraph. City would prefer a permanent sale, but a season-long loan is more likely.

• 89 rainrix // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:54 AM

I would be surprised if we signed anyone form the italian or even spanish league. Our scouting network is pretty much solely france/netherlands. We did get santon from italy though. It would be nice if we could branch out our scouting networks a bit more. I just get the sense that we’re so focused on the french league that we’re missing potential good players in other leagues.

• 90 Rowan Milsted // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:54 AM

I like Shola too (I’m checking out my window for a black & white army holding pitchforks aloft). However there is no doubting that he is getting on, somewhat unfit and doesn’t score a lot of goals. We certainly need better and hopefully we’ll get it soon. I’d be happy for him to retire with the Toon though; still can’t understand some of the hatred levelled at him.

• 91 JFK junior // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:54 AM

STW – young lad called Lionel Messi! Great up and coming talent.

However in reality, Remy and gomis would do me!

• 92 Big Pappa Cissé // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:54 AM

@ Jimmy

Shola over Gouffran ? , I’ve heard it all know like :) .

@ jeff

On ability I would say Remy. He has pace which we severeley lack and has showed he can do the business in the PL. That side footer against Wigan was a thing of beauty

• 93 Toon_Tom // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:55 AM

@79 – I would rather Remy than Gignac or Gomis

However all 3 will do nicely

• 94 Macas // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:56 AM

sum ting wong – Excluding top class forwarsd costing bucketloads of money then Berbatov for me, just the kind of player we need. Too old of course and we won’t get him, but love to see someone like that come in.

• 95 richyg01 // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Interesting words from Mourinho about Davide Santon

• 96 skipwallsend1977 // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:56 AM

I’m bored and on holiday from work so I’m tempted to bike up to Benton with a flask of coffee n some sarnies. Become an ITK because they get sooo much respect on here haha
    Seriously though, I feel driven to go and keep an eye out coz I’m sick of checking on here/twitter every 30 secs.
    If I see out I’ll fill yous in

• 97 JFK junior // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:56 AM

BPC – My heart broke a little when he sent that one home! Was gutted we missed out on him.

Hopefully it’s better late than never.

• 98 xx sum ting wong xx // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Big pappa

Agreed on both points. Stop calling me Jeff though or I will start name calling.

• 99 Belfast // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:57 AM

I don’t hate him like. Just think he’s garbage.

Hasn’t been good enough for years, but still keeps getting new contracts for some strange reason.

• 100 skipwallsend1977 // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:58 AM

By fill you in I mean let you know!
    Not threatening anyone with violence ;)

• 101 xx sum ting wong xx // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Macas

I think we missed the boat with berba. Would have been idolized up here.

• 102 JFK junior // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Ps Gouffran is 10 Times the player shola is. I have nothing against shola, but let’s not be silly!

Skip – take a pic of big loic on arrival, and don’t let him out without signing. Good man…

• 103 richyg01 // Jul 25, 2013 at 12:01 PM

New Strips for the new season.

Liverpoo’s away strip is a bit funky.
    Man City away in all black!?

• 104 jimmysmith // Jul 25, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Don’t see Gouffran banging them in to be honest, have seen him miss a few a top striker probably wouldn’t, plus I have a certain loyalty and affection for a player who doesn’t score enough goals but still has plenty to offer, but at no more than third choice admittedly.

• 105 low fell mag // Jul 25, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Hopefully this is the end for Shola,but not in a nasty way as its the best for both parties.
    If Shola does leave by all accounts he can play for Nigeria in the world cup ,whilst he cannot while still at Newcastle.
    while if he leaves that will mean we will have landed our transfers therefore his services are no longer retired .
    If this .the way things pang out he should be given a great farewell ,like him or loathe him he has been a good servant to the club ,and has been a great gent.
    He reminds myself of Frank Bruno,steady but not great.

• 106 brian kilclines pony tail // Jul 25, 2013 at 12:03 PM

@skipwallsend1977 my flat looks over the training ground, will let you know if i notice any helicopters.

• 107 nut meg // Jul 25, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Rotonda @ 50
    He might be only 20 now but by the time this shower get round to taking a look at him he’ll in his late 20s.

• 108 Macas // Jul 25, 2013 at 12:05 PM

sum ting wong – The fans love a good grafter, but someone with a touch of genius and pure ability is what really lights the stadium up. Been far too few intelligent and gifted players at the club in recent years.

• 109 richyg01 // Jul 25, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Gonna try something, not sure if it will work…

• 110 JP...from The Rock // Jul 25, 2013 at 12:06 PM

foggonridiculous – Before you jump to more conclusions I am saying we can do a hell of a lot better than Strolla ffs. He is shite whether you like it or not and what I was saying was that we would have no doubt be better off in games and in league positions if we had a proper footballer playing INSTEAD OF Ameobi.

Boater – With you being another regular poster you should know that I post reasonable comments 99% of the time and hardly ever argue. So to say “all stamping feet and angry, vitriolic bile” – I think you had better read my past posts and realize I am a sensible person that RESPECTS peoples opinions so respect mine.

• 111 richyg01 // Jul 25, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Loic Remy transfer gossip – my source says he thinks loic is off to Newcastle— Ian Abrahams (@BroadcastMoose) July 24, 2013

• 112 richyg01 // Jul 25, 2013 at 12:07 PM

… hmm sort of

• 113 richyg01 // Jul 25, 2013 at 12:07 PM

My source says it could even be a fee has been agreed between QPR and Newcastle— Ian Abrahams (@BroadcastMoose) July 24, 2013

• 114 south coast toon // Jul 25, 2013 at 12:07 PM

sholas been a good servant to the club, never caused a fuss doesnt mind being behind other strikers in the pecking order and has waded in here and there he is comited to the club and would wear the shirrt no matter what was written on there, he thinks of club before himself, so maybe we should be slaughtering the mercanaries we are linked with ie remy and the employee sat on his backside cause wonga is written on his shirt or those players that can play alot better than they have, dont get me wrong i would love to have better strikers than him here, but at the moment hes the only one who will play, so lets surport himwe aint going to win the leage, we arent going to be champions league contenders, we might win the fa cup in the next 50 yrs but id rather have players here who want to play for the club no matter what.

• 115 OLDGEORDIE // Jul 25, 2013 at 12:08 PM

MOST IMPORTANTLY, ED, GLAD TO HEAR YOUR RESULTS ARE IN A POSITIVE VEIN

• 116 Rowan Milsted // Jul 25, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Belfast

Fair enough mate. He’s… well, he’s not great. I’ll leave it there.

I didn’t realise the goons at TalkSport had mentioned Remy signing. I hope that’s not why the odds have changed… but it could well be. I’m starting to get slightly itchy about not signing anyone now. I’m not going into meltdown but it’s a shame new signings aren’t training with the squad and playing preseason friendlies. I’m still chuffed Hughton seems to have snatched one from under the nose of old colonel saggy face though!

• 117 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 25, 2013 at 12:08 PM

I hope Shola leaves. Not because I don’t like him, but because he has a good chance of making the World Cup in Brazil if he gets regular game time.

The lad has put NUFC ahead of personal ambitions for some time. While not being anywhere near a top striker, he obviously has something as he has been praised by every manager since Sir Bobby and including Sir Bobby.

He has been second fiddle for most of his career, never really getting a run of games which would have enabled him to reach his full potential. But has been there when required. Yes he has been well rewarded, but he has also shown loyalty. How many players would say no to a major international tournament so that their club wasn’t left short? He has been blighted by injuries, and still played when injured because he was needed.

The lad isn’t a world beater, but the abuse he gets is over the top and massively uncalled for.

And for those saying he will get a new contract, Pardew said that he was offered one in March, and refused to sign as he wanted more game time.

• 118 skipwallsend1977 // Jul 25, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Killer’s ponytail, nice one.
    Ill do the garden instead (keep the wife from bendin me lug) and await your updates mate

• 119 foggonridiculous // Jul 25, 2013 at 12:11 PM

No conclusion jumping here…

your post word for word:

JP…from The Rock // Jul 25, 2013 at 11:19 AM

You have eloquently classified him as “shite”

You are entitled to your opinion.
    I am entitled to disagree.

• 120 Macas // Jul 25, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Shola has changed his game now he has got older, gone are the silly little flicks etc, and he just does the basics and holds the ball up well and uses his strength and power in the box when needed. Unfortunately injuries mean he is never consistently on top of his game, but if we keep him then I’m happy enough for him to be a 3rd/4th choice striker for us, and he does offer something different. Even if we do sign Gomis there’s no guarantee he’ll be up to the hustle and bustle needed in the Premier League to be a solid target man, and Shola does give us another option.

• 121 Rotonda heights // Jul 25, 2013 at 12:17 PM

nut meg

very true

can’t believe we turned down carr’s recommendations for wanyama and leroy fer 3 years ago!

• 122 low fell mag // Jul 25, 2013 at 12:17 PM

South coast blog114
    That’s not a bad shout that!

• 123 Yohan Kebab // Jul 25, 2013 at 12:19 PM

santon was a right winger in his youth before being converted to a left fullback, and it shows

im not sure whether its because we have a manager that does not put enough emphasis on defensive positioning or whether it is santon ignoring him but either way he needs to sort it out.

the trouble is people say he could be a great lb ‘if he learnt how to defend’

It’s like saying a car would work much better if it had wheels, it’s obvious but you still gotta buy a car with good wheels

its like having a goalie with no arms, you might as well buy another goalie

having said that id love him to succeed XD

• 124 Macas // Jul 25, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Rotonda – We signed Tiote instead of those 2, we were hardly going to sign 2 or 3 players for the same position. Just a shame Tiote has gone off the boil and not lived up to initial expectations. However there’s no guarantee those other two players will be a success yet.

• 125 yorkshire_magpie // Jul 25, 2013 at 12:20 PM

By far loic remy is the best out of the 3 strikers. That is the only world class player who wants to join us at the moment. So I think we should try everything to sign him up

• 126 Belfast // Jul 25, 2013 at 12:20 PM

Yeah that fat bloke Moose from talksport said we were signing him yesterday.

Betting odds mean nowt like, you’d be surprised at how little money effects the odds. It’s more to do with the volume of bets than the money. Like 20 people sticking £5 on the same bet and the odds get slashed big time.

So when somebody with thousands of twatter followers says Remy is going to Newcastle, there’s a few mugs go and stick money on it.

Take Scott Sinclair for example a few weeks ago.

• 127 JP...from The Rock // Jul 25, 2013 at 12:22 PM

foggonridiculous – “something by now OR (magic word here) at least score more past the scum”. Yes I did say he was shite, because HE IS! lol

His abysmal stats don’t lie. His poor work-rate doesn’t lie, his shooting and ball control doesn’t lie. Makes me think what the hell does he offer apart from being the most expensive cheerleader in the dressing room. Why in the hell would we want to keep him? Because he’s loyal? Being loyal is not enough in the EPL, we need more than just that if we want to get anywhere- That’s my point!

I guess we have to agree to disagree.

• 128 Yohancabaye4 // Jul 25, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Remy transfer to NUFC is on hold as QPR want Shola in the deal but AP is unwilling to let him go

• 129 Yohan Kebab // Jul 25, 2013 at 12:28 PM

YC4

more like QPR want an extra 2m to take shola off our hands

• 130 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 25, 2013 at 12:28 PM

JP,
    In terms of when he has actually had game time his goal record is 1 in 3. Not bad for someone who never gets a long spell of playing. Similar to Gouffran, Kone, Long, Gignac. His goals to appearances only looks bad cause some of them are for very short amounts of time.

• 131 foggonridiculous // Jul 25, 2013 at 12:29 PM

JP

and that ” magic word” OR was why I asked you if you were seriously arguing that Shola was solely responsible because I couldn’t believe that was what you meant.

and you agree that it wasn’t. Ta..

So we can agree on that

…and also that Shola is shite

(in your – and others – opinion)

• 132 Sazzer // Jul 25, 2013 at 12:33 PM

Get French Football ?@GFN_France
    So Cardiff have offered €12m in total for Etienne Capoue. This is their 2nd offer. Capoue also negotiating with Atletico presently.

Sky Sports Football ?@SkyFootball
    Toulouse chairman Olivier Sadran has revealed that they have accepted a bid from Cardiff for Etienne Capoue

• 133 xx sum ting wong xx // Jul 25, 2013 at 12:35 PM

If Spurs sign a couple of strikers, would anyone take Defoe?

• 134 xx sum ting wong xx // Jul 25, 2013 at 12:37 PM

I would take Dempsey too. Lively bugger he is

• 135 Sazzer // Jul 25, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Lee Ryder ?@lee_ryder
    Previous #nufc transfer target Kevin Gameiro has signed for Seville.

• 136 Toon_Tom // Jul 25, 2013 at 12:38 PM

@106 – Brian, do you live in BELVERDERE?

• 137 Indian Magpie // Jul 25, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Sevilla have replaced Jesus Navas and Alvaro Negredo with Marko Marin and Kevin Gameiro.

And we are standing still pissing in the Wind

• 138 JP...from The Rock // Jul 25, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Lilongwe Geordie – Yes I understand that he comes off the bench a lot but his overall contribution is shockingly poor. Gutierrez with how bad his crossing is he still offers bucket loads more work-rate than Strolla has done all his career. Obviously they are two very different positions but do you see my point?

Every time I see Ameobi play his shooting is awful and just slices the ball. Let’s put it this way the less I say of Stolla’s play the better.

I would love to see how many goal attempts he has in a match and how many are on target and how many minutes to goals, be it off the bench or not that never stopped Solskjaer from scoring.

• 139 Sazzer // Jul 25, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Fulham On Verge of Sealing £6.8m Signing of Prolific Serie A Striker Pablo Osvaldo

• 140 Sazzer // Jul 25, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Seen the transfer fee to be higher around 8 so don’t take it as done deal.

• 141 toon kk // Jul 25, 2013 at 12:46 PM

I wonder what MA main objective is for Newcastle United ?? apart from advertising his sports d business. Does he want success, money or fame? Perhaps he gets a kick out of p…..ing the fans off. He’s succeeded doing that. Anyone got any ideas?? It certainly isn’t ambition.

• 142 Transfer Sage // Jul 25, 2013 at 12:47 PM

For me shola is a waste.

He has talent, can be seen in his goals and general play.

However he seems very lethargic and lazy on the pitch and the talent only shines through on fits and starts. Not a player to start and common of the bench there is as much chance he will have a negative or no impact as there is he has a positive impact.

He hasn’t got the consistency needed to be a prem league striker.

• 143 Transfer Sage // Jul 25, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Lilongwe

But if shola was any good he would have been a starter and ad more time in those games.

Also the goals he got in the championship massively boost his overall record compared to the average over other years

• 144 foggonridiculous // Jul 25, 2013 at 12:51 PM

In some ways Shola is a miniature representative of the toon…

frustrates the life out of you with his apparent lethargy….
    needless fouls….
    …offsides….

and then….the occasional goal…to give you hope that maybe …just maybe he’ll kick on from there.

…likewise the toon fantastic against chelsea with sissoko to the fore….

…followed by capitulation to the mackems and the ‘fool

which is the real toon?

been following them far too long…the only thing you can predict…… is their unpredictability….

• 145 WWYCD // Jul 25, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Shola is a cult hero and the day he leaves I will be genuinely upset

• 146 Sazzer // Jul 25, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Capoue scored 7 goals last season that is one goal less then our top striker last season.

• 147 WWYCD // Jul 25, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Sazzer
    1 goal less than our top striker?

• 148 Transfer Sage // Jul 25, 2013 at 12:59 PM

WWYCD

Agree with you there, he is a thoroughly likable character…the kind of bumbling idiot in a classic BBC sitcom.

The guy just isn’t good enough though

• 149 remy D // Jul 25, 2013 at 1:00 PM

Shit club

• 150 viv // Jul 25, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Just passed the training ground. Its like a morgue!

• 151 WWYCD // Jul 25, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Sage
    Depends how u define good enough imo starter no hope anymore impact sub and squad player I’d say he still has something to offer to us

• 152 Just Arfa lager // Jul 25, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Hi Lads,

Long time reader, first time poster.
    Just started my own blog – thoughts and comments on my first article would be greatly appreciated!

• 153 Howden Mag // Jul 25, 2013 at 1:06 PM

We have agreed fee with QPR for Remy. Now to negotiate wages.

• 154 Indian Magpie // Jul 25, 2013 at 1:07 PM

No Disrespect

But if people think a player of Ameobi’s caliber should play for NUFC, Then it tells you why we are where we are.

• 155 Rotonda heights // Jul 25, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Howden,

That’s the end of that then

• 156 xx sum ting wong xx // Jul 25, 2013 at 1:09 PM

Howden

Where did you get that from?

• 157 Howden Mag // Jul 25, 2013 at 1:10 PM

Joe’ s first test with Ashley and what the club wage policy is. Wait and see. At least it’s a development.

• 158 skipwallsend1977 // Jul 25, 2013 at 1:10 PM

Viv
    It will be. They only flew back from Portugal yesterday so probably got the day off

• 159 Sazzer // Jul 25, 2013 at 1:13 PM

WWYCD
    Yeah Ba scored more but Cisse scored only 8 and he’s the only one still at club. Gouffran overall scored more, but only 8 in L1 and 3 in PL. So yeah bit unfair comparison.

• 160 Indian Magpie // Jul 25, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Also on twitter

NUFC trying to Sign Nathan Chalobah on loan

• 161 count // Jul 25, 2013 at 1:15 PM

I agree WWYCD, he is a cult figure and should stay.

People winge on about mercenaries in the game, but slag Shola off…..

How many of you that slag him off have ever scored a peachy goal against Barcelona in the champions league?

• 162 WWYCD // Jul 25, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Sazzer
    Did Cisse really only score 8 in the league? Christ he had a very poor season…I’d actually forgotten his tally was that low, tbf though he had a few wrongly called offside

• 163 WWYCD // Jul 25, 2013 at 1:21 PM

count
    Glad am not alone haha

Tbh I love him because when I see him on the pitch I know he cares as much as I do about the club and very few others fall into that category

• 164 Ian Toon // Jul 25, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Disclaimer – This will be of no interest whatsoever to the plastic football fan.

I recently concluded a post by saying that it is players and not systems or formations that win football matches. But hey even the best teams like a tactical approach to the game.

Its frequently argued by toon fans on here that we were at our best in the season before last when playing 4-3-3.

Like all the formations that Pardew uses this formation has 4 defenders in a backline. In front of the backline there are 3 central midfielders which provides an advantage over the 2 central midfielders that occupy the same position in 4-4-2. Those that saw the
    Newcastle v Man U game last season at SJP will recall how the toon playing 4-4-2 were caught out by SAF deploying 3 in midfield – albeit 2 early goals came from crosses into box. The game was lost before Pardew reinforced the midfield.

Returning to the 3 central midfielders, they each have a different function; with the deepest midfielder typically being a holding midfielder, whose main role/ responsibility is to shield the back four and to win the ball thereby breaking up the opponent’s attack . In Pardew’s thinking I suspect Tiote is envisaged in this role. It does require discipline. Another of the midfielders – (Sissoko ) is a rampaging box to box midfielder, who is needed to attack as well as defend , needs to be a good athlete. This midfielder needs to be both physical as well as a good reader of the game. Knowing when he is required to break up an opponent’s attack and when to venture forward to counter attack. Timing of runs are essential in order not to isolate the transmission from defence to attack.

The third midfielder ( Cabaye) is the most constructive, influentially attacking of the three. This midfielder does assist the defence/ back four, but his main task is to assist the three forward attackers. He has a wide passing range , able to change the focus of play by astutely moving the ball around the field to probe for openings to attack.
    This midfielder or Sissoko should also be capable to make late runs into the box, linking up with the central striker ( Cisse) to create scoring opportunities. This also takes the attention of the opposition away from the primary attacker as they have something else to worry about.

Up front, are 3 forwards playing in front of the midfield 3 with the intent of attacking the oppositions back defensive line.
    There are several configurations that the front 3 attack can employ. The most basic is to play with a central striker, supported on either side by wide men/wingers . This allows the team to attack quickly, with the wingers playing higher up the pitch than they would in a 4-4-2. Further, with 2 wingers the attack provides plenty of width to stretch the opposition back line . The downside however is that this
    formation leaves the central striker potentially being marked by the opposition 2 center-backs . It is essential therefore that the forward 3 present a mobile fluid presence and are aided by a positive midfield looking to assist.

• 165 Howden Mag // Jul 25, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Sausage info may well be correct. £8.5 m

• 166 Sazzer // Jul 25, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Yeah, and 4 in EL. He had an awful season, considering he scored 13 in 14 games last season and 9 in 17 in Bundesliga and 22 goals year before that. It’s the Wonga curse…

• 167 viv // Jul 25, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Copper helicopter, flying over Long Benton, Remy might be on board!

• 168 Indian Magpie // Jul 25, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Shola

Hoofball
    Last resort
    Lazyness

• 169 Yohan Kebab // Jul 25, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Ian

remy cisse arfa

could work, no?

• 170 Felipe // Jul 25, 2013 at 1:30 PM

@Indian Magpie

You could turn that around and say that only the deluded think we’re too good for Shola. Sir Bobby liked him and rated him but I daresay if he’d not been sacked and we’d pushed on from our regular 3rd-5th slots we would have replaced Shola with someone better and Shola would have gone on and played for any one of the mid table premier league clubs quite successfully. As it happens we have been a mid table club for these last 10 years and he has done us proud on occasion. Shame about his injury record but if you take away the very best strikers then his 1 in 3 scoring record would fair pretty well.

• 171 luxogeordie // Jul 25, 2013 at 1:30 PM

@GFN_France: FLASH: Jean Michel Aulas confirms via Twitter that there are 3 offers on the table for Bafetimbi Gomis. #OL

• 172 foggonridiculous // Jul 25, 2013 at 1:33 PM

…the one in crayon is from joe

• 173 Ian Toon // Jul 25, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Yohan – I was not tempting fate by mentioning the upfront players.
    It certainly could and it would be an exciting proposition for fans and opposition alike. We deserve better!

• 174 djm... // Jul 25, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Didn’t cisse score around 13 last season, when his tally should have been around 20ish due to wrongly dissaloud goals?

• 175 Indian Magpie // Jul 25, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Felipe

Shola has 41 Goals in 269 PL games

• 176 Ian Toon // Jul 25, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Whilst being the PL record goalscorer Shearer was also the best crosser of ball at the club.

• 177 Sazzer // Jul 25, 2013 at 1:37 PM

A loan deal for Chalobah is smart move from us. That way we can hinder his development.

• 178 Spuggy // Jul 25, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Cisse had a few good ones chalked off for sure, and hit a few crossbars and posts too.

He also played half the season on the RW and suffered a lack of support from a disfunctional midfield with no recognised wingers able to get past the opposition back four and cross or pass the ball.

Whilst Cisse certainly needs to improve his positional sense, it is harder to stay on-side when the ball is coming from behind you as opposed to from the side or in front of you.

• 179 SeanNufc87 // Jul 25, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Foggon

Pissed myself laughing at that. Well played.

• 180 foggonridiculous // Jul 25, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Sean
    ta

• 181 count // Jul 25, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Lilongwe, that’s a good point about wanting him to leave so he can have a better chance with Nigeria. I would love to see him at the world cup.

• 182 Rooster // Jul 25, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Ok so we are letting a really promising lad in Campbell go out on loan to get more playing time(see the point) but Shola an important part of our strike force! Oh jesus, get some players through the frigan door, the players we gave nearly took us down, they were clueless completly the other night, play as individuals, stop fcukin about NUFC, we need a top striker and a top winger ar the very least, JK stop the bollocks and back ur big gob up otherwise you will get the abuse u will deserve!

• 183 JP...from The Rock // Jul 25, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Transfer Sage #142 – I couldn’t have put it better, thanks lol.

Indian – Thanks for the stats, that helps put things into perspective.

Strolla has been holding this great club back as we are always led to believe that we already have a ‘goal-scoring striker’ on our books.

Striker, maybe but goal-scoring one he sure ain’t. That is what I am trying to say.

Tranfer Sage ut it nice when he questioned his loyalty;

“Seems a nice guy though loyalty is easy when being less loyal would require drop in pay/level etc”.

• 184 toon kk // Jul 25, 2013 at 1:44 PM

There’s a question people have to ask themselves, is Williamson, Jonas, shola just three of quite a few, good enough to play in the premier league? I bet they wouldn’t get in many teams.
    Our passing ability is very poor, Pardew has us playing the worst football in decades, our fitness levels are a joke and on the positive side we have a few quality players, if only a few Quality signings came in and some better training was organised things could look brighter.
    There’s one big stepping stone in the way and that’s MA doesn’t know enough about football to understand.

• 185 Yohan Kebab // Jul 25, 2013 at 1:44 PM

if theres 3 offers for gomis we no get him

• 186 SeanNufc87 // Jul 25, 2013 at 1:45 PM

I hope if kinnear was brought in for the sole purpose of replacing pardew, that pards stays on and just talks to the media About him, things like what good is a director of football who doesnt sign any player’s? Play Ashley at his own game n call him out on it. If hes there to sign players and come sep 2nd we haven’t signed anyone then surely he needs sacking right?

• 187 djm... // Jul 25, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Cisse was also offside less than rvp and bentekke last season, it just looked like he was always off because of the lack of chances that was created for him. All strikers playing by themselves need to toe the line at try and force the defenders into that one mistake that will let them through.

• 188 DokToon // Jul 25, 2013 at 1:47 PM

all three bids are from joe… he’s bidding against himself, and we still wont get gomis…

• 189 JAMSHA // Jul 25, 2013 at 1:49 PM

if Etienne Capoue goes tho cardif…. il fkn cry…. cardif shown more ambation dan us

• 190 foggonridiculous // Jul 25, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Dok

ha!

“zut alors…what are these marbles of which Msr Joe speaks?”

• 191 plana // Jul 25, 2013 at 1:51 PM

The sooner they get both Pardew and Shola, out of Toon the better. Both useless at their jobs. If Shola had ten shots at John Lennon he would still be alive.

• 192 Rooster // Jul 25, 2013 at 1:51 PM

We were the worst team in the prem to watch last season without a doubt, the clock is ticking, nowt changed from what i have seem so far, we play as individuals, i dont think Pardew is strong enough to motivate players once they are on the pitch, they look like they are in their own seperate little worlds, we cannot put up with the bull m dross seved up last season both verbally and on the pitch, get it sorted and pull your fingers out!!!!!!!!!

• 193 jimmysmith // Jul 25, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Williamson is an EPL squad player, but Shola and Gutierrez have more to offer, one is a player highly regarded by the current Nigeria coach the other by Maradona. No one would claim they’re world eaters but theyre far from our biggest problem either. Getting consistent performances out.of HBA, Cabaye, Tiote, Cisse, Debuchey etal seems a way bigger concern.

• 194 djm... // Jul 25, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Jonas playing in the centre is good enough for the premier league, he was so effective there when we finished 5th.

Not many teams, outside of the top 5-6 have a better 4th choice centre half than mike Williamson. He’s not spectacular but can do a job if needed, especially next to colo.

Shola shouldn’t be anywhere near a premier league squad for me. Although I was down Blackburn a few years ago and talking to a fan who said we were lucky to have shola as a back up, can’t quite remember who their strikers where at that point.

• 195 tekkers2402 // Jul 25, 2013 at 1:52 PM

I honestly can’t see us getting anyone in. They’ve had 6 weeks or so since JFK arrived and its as if he hasn’t even done anything. Granted, we don’t know what’s happening behind the scenes but nothing seems to be happening at all. Pardew has mentioned players but that’s probably to put pressure on JFK to get a move on. We take too long to get people in that sooner or later all of our targets will likely be elsewhere!

• 196 Felipe // Jul 25, 2013 at 1:59 PM

Indian, his first 150 games up until 2005-06 were for the last 10 minutes as a sub for Shearer or Bellamy or Kluivert or whoever. He started the last 12 of that 2005-06 season and scored 6. The next season he had a hip op which the club had been putting off for two years and when he came back from that Keegan didn’t think he was the same player and shipped him out to Stoke. Since he’s been back from Stoke 9 of his 12 appearances in 2009-10 were as a sub, and 7 out of 23 the following season and we know he’s been back up to Ba & Cisse since then and certainly his last 50 starts have been mostly as a late sub. So stats aren’t going to work very well in his case. Maybe if you managed to track down goals per minute or something. Why don’t you just accept that people with a lot more football nous than all of us here on this blog have seen something in him, enough to keep picking him at least and leave the guy alone. I’ll take Shola over Gomis, Remy any day.

• 197 sweendog // Jul 25, 2013 at 1:59 PM

looks like today or tomorrow we should know about Gomis .. looks like he’ll sign.. him and Remy without selling Cisse then this is a good window.
    Hopefully another centreback and a good RW then top 10 here we come.

• 198 RooneyToons // Jul 25, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Come on boys have faith…. admittedly its difficult

Just remember last Jan, everyone was fulling there hair out and then BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM

5 new signings

its coming alright dont you worry

errr i think

• 199 nut meg // Jul 25, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Foggy @ 171
    He’ll be looking for his dot to dot book to go with the crayons lol

• 200 foggonridiculous // Jul 25, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Felipe

ta…

not sure about preferring Shola over remy but interesting info ta

• 201 DokToon // Jul 25, 2013 at 2:07 PM

tekkers, with all due respect, he has doen soemthing… he sent out gosling… oops… he had a great vacation…. thats something lol

• 202 foggonridiculous // Jul 25, 2013 at 2:07 PM

nut meg

I’m not an ITK but my sources tell me he DOES still have the dot to dot book.

Alas the Magic painting Book had to be taken off him because he wouldn’t stop licking the pages :-)

• 203 clinath@ed // Jul 25, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Count…..I went out just after my request, just got back…thanks for the replay. (you could have had a good 2 hour rant!!! feel guilty now.

Fogon….10/10 there with the crayon…keep it up.

• 204 toon kk // Jul 25, 2013 at 2:07 PM

We’re always holding out for that bargain, MA hates the thought of paying a penny more than he wants.
    I fear for the future of our club there’s too many mistakes being made.
    This slow transfer activitie is ridiculous, when we genuinely want players in it happens, like january.

• 205 foggonridiculous // Jul 25, 2013 at 2:10 PM

clinath@ed

ta

• 206 pawl250 // Jul 25, 2013 at 2:13 PM

REMY Please!!!

Then Gomis, fine no bother!

Siem De Jong YES PLEASE!

Think we will be set for new year.

Wingers, centre backs etc. can wait till Jan.

We need those 3 players to be competing for top 7 or 8.

• 207 HullMag6 // Jul 25, 2013 at 2:18 PM

If Remy and Gomis sign Cisse will be off – he’s already shown himself as a primadonna Russia beckons. Sign Bent or better too if that does happen. No religion/wonga arguments they are just media fodder/smokescreen.

• 208 HullMag6 // Jul 25, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Also arrival is possible at airport if it was private/charter not a scheduled flight. Waiting for an official announcement or shirt shot.

• 209 numba9 // Jul 25, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Wouldn’t bother with this double bidding thing with Lyon would complicate a deal and maybe miss out on the striker which is priority

• 210 HullMag6 // Jul 25, 2013 at 2:26 PM

9 could work the other way too, lyon are desperate for cash.

• 211 pawl250 // Jul 25, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Cisse should stay. I would not be surprised if he does.

Will wait and see, but we need 3 strikers if he does leave, allow Shola to leave too!

Gomis, Remy, Cisse, De Jong, Gouffran would be ideal.

Especially considering Gouffran, De Jong and Remy are versatile.

• 212 Jamseyd24 // Jul 25, 2013 at 2:29 PM

There you have guys another working business week has almost passed us by with not so much as a sniff of a new signing. Really see us struggling to sign anyone of value this window.
    I personally think most of these players we are looking at do not really want to come to SJP with all the nonsense of late, and are holding out for other clubs to come in for them, that’s why its taking so long.

• 213 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jul 25, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Guys you might as well just enjoy your vacation and spend some quality time with your wife and kids!

…nothing is going to happen on the transfer front this week and there is really no point in your christmas shopping list – you are in for a disapointment I think!

• 214 plana // Jul 25, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Remy, won’t be signing its all bull that rumour. The only incoming striker will be to replace the muslim gambler.

• 215 HullMag6 // Jul 25, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Don’t forget a likely front 3 on that basis would be benny gomis remy with probably shola gouffran Campbell/Bent as back up – cisse would be gone as much as I think he should stay – after the current farce I seriously think he’s left without an option.

• 216 toon kk // Jul 25, 2013 at 2:44 PM

The only signing we’ll maybe get around to getting is Bent as long as we can afford his wage. We’re very hard up you know, so we best be very careful! !!!!!!!

• 217 Zebras4Life // Jul 25, 2013 at 2:44 PM

We should move in for Dempsey!

• 218 xx sum ting wong xx // Jul 25, 2013 at 2:46 PM

@196

Great post about Shola

• 219 xx sum ting wong xx // Jul 25, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Zebras

I rate him too

• 220 Rooster // Jul 25, 2013 at 2:55 PM

A Pardew quote curtesy of nufc.com

“we have a strong enough squad right NOW to cope with the coming season” he seems mor than happy with what he has go,t mmmmm.

YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHAT IS GOING ON MISTER AND STOP TRYING TO COVER YOUR BACK WITH THE WE ARE TRYING OUR HARDEST TO GET SIGNINGS OVER THE LINE, AND YOU ARE PUSHING YOUR HARDEST, COMPLETE AND UTTER BULLS.ITTER.

I DO BELIEVE SOMEONE WILL COME IN, BUT JUST GET THEM IN AND GET THEM IN NOW, NOT MINDING SAVING A WEEK OT TWOS WAGES ” CAPITALS OUT OF SHEER ANGER”

• 221 leazes upper ( moved to the gallowgate ) // Jul 25, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Sholas staying its like a new signing. Seriously dont know how he wasnt moved on years ago

previous post: I Am Pushing Hard To Get Transfers In – Pardew