An About Turn For Newcastle Striker?

Alan Pardew had said at the end of the season that Shola Ameobi was unsettled at Newcastle, because he was not getting much playing time, and that he may want to leave the club this summer to get first team football elsewhere.

shola ameobi in burgundy

Shola Ameobi – great when fit and willing

And Alan Pardew a few days ago said that he had heard nothing from Shola about asking for a move or anything like that and Shola today has been interviewed in the local press and he seems happy enough to see out the final year of his contract, so that seems like a bit of a turnaround to us.

This is what Shola told the Evening Chronicle today:

“I’m a Newcastle player and I’ve got a year left on my contract.” “Every season there’s been speculation about me.” “I’ve always been focused on Newcastle.”
“Whatever happens, happens, but I don’t really pay much attention.”

“I just want to score goals for Newcastle.” “I feel I can play football for Newcastle. I think I’ve got a little bit left in me.” “Whichever way the club wants to go, it’s down to them.”

“If I’m wanted at Newcastle, I’ll play at Newcastle. If I’m not, I’ll go elsewhere.” “It means a lot to be playing now. I’m in the latter stages of my career.”
“In recent months, I haven’t done that, which is very frustrating.

“I feel like I’m fit and strong enough to compete with anyone here at Newcastle.” “Hopefully, I can push for a place.” “It’s pre-season. At the end of the day, it doesn’t mean much.”

“It was great to start my first game.” “I had a little niggle back in England, and thankfully the hand injury wasn’t as bad as first thought.” “I felt stronger as the game went on.”

“Scoring goals is what I’m about, and hopefully I can continue this nice vein of form.”

Ameobi made his debut as an 18 year-old back in September, 200 in a home game against Chelsea under Bobby Robson, and the then Newcastle manager was a big fan of the young lad, and when Ameobi is fit and willing he can be a very good player for Newcastle, and he’s scored two good goals in the last two pre-season games.

But Shola is not always fit, and when he is fit he’s not always willing – so he’s been a bit of an enigma at Newcastle over the last 13 years, although he’s had some great moments for Newcastle – usually against a certain side called Sunderland.

It probably depends on what success Newcastle have in the transfer window this summer, as to whether Shola will leave the club, but with news today that Pardew could send young Adam Campbell out on loan, it would be good to have Shola available, because he’s a very experienced player, and can come on and change a game – when he’s fit and willing.

And to be fair he’s done that quite a few times in his career.

Comments welcome, but please keep them civil.

We are trying to help Ingo Hagemann who is an International student at Northumbria University studying for an MSc in Sports Marketing, and he’s doing a survey as part of his Masters dissertation. The survey is on the controversial sponsorship between Wonga and Newcastle and it takes only five to ten minutes to complete.

Please help Ingo by taking the survey here – many thanks.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• G

Jul 25, 2013 at 10:47 AM

To be honest, love him or hate him, can we really afford to let a striker out of the door right now?

• richyg01

Jul 25, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Someone tell him we don’t want him!!!

• xx sum ting wong xx

Jul 25, 2013 at 10:51 AM

@jamie from 2 posts ago.

My best line up is

Krul
    Deb mym Colo Santon
    Anita Cabs Sissoko
    HBA Cisse Gouffran

Then I would like us to sign Shane Long, Remy, Sinclair or Jarvis

• Barras

Jul 25, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Shola ’56 Premier League Goals in 12 years’ Ameobi.

• xx sum ting wong xx

Jul 25, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Barras

Lots of important goals though and brings others into the game very well

• xx sum ting wong xx

Jul 25, 2013 at 10:56 AM

And in my line up, Cabs would be deeper than Anita and sissoko

• Bearsize

Jul 25, 2013 at 10:57 AM

He has a bit left in him? No please shola you aint. Send shola out on loan not campbell. Players know not to run 50yards to support shola as the ball will be lost or he will foul. He scored in 2 pre season games wow! How many did he get last season 1? Be a true fan and step down. I have kittens every time i watch you

• plana

Jul 25, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Pardew, out! The inspector clueless, of football management. Another day of ifs maybes and buts from the master of gibberish

• foggonridiculous

Jul 25, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Food for thought from the ameobi unofficial web site

Many appearances as sub…

2009 – 10 Newcastle United FC 12 (9) 11
    2010 – 11 Newcastle United FC 26 (7) 6
    2011 – 12 Newcastle United FC 6 (3) 1
    TOTAL – 196 (125) 68

• Barras

Jul 25, 2013 at 10:58 AM

“Scoring goals is what I’m about” – No Shola. Please stop lying.

• nico

Jul 25, 2013 at 11:00 AM

My uncle works at Newcastle airport and he’s seen Gomis and Remy arrive in the last hour. My sisters brother is a taxi driver who has also seen them. My daughter works in a post office in Newcastle and she also says she’s seen them. LOOKS LIKE TODAY IS THE DAY

• brian kilclines pony tail

Jul 25, 2013 at 11:00 AM

worst player to ever to represent us over a decade, if we dont get a striker and cisse got injured i would rather play 6 midfielders.

i think they (pards and shola) know that he wouldnt pass a fitness test for any decent team.

looks like we’re stuck with him until his contract winds down and they offer him a new one again.

• colwell

Jul 25, 2013 at 11:01 AM

The scouse boy at work have been ripping into to our team alot, they do however much it pains me have valid points.

Debuchy and Santon- poor defenders.
    Colo and M’biwa as CB’s are both too small and would be a bad pairing.

Cabaye- Plays well every 5 games,
    Tiote – runs around, loses ball constant and fouls continuously.
    Sissoko- they reckon is good but not a winger.
    HBA- brilliant but why get him to defend and use his energy up?
    Cisse- Shite first touch, no pace, can’t score when he has time.

Some point I suppose are right I did try to rip their team but fcuk me its pretty much better then ours all over, plus they actually play good football.

• pawl250

Jul 25, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Its hard to think that we will sign anyone.

Gomis
    Remy
    Siem De Jong!!

PLEASE, we sign these guys we have a stronger looking squad.

Sell Shola, Sell Obertan, Sell Gosling.

———————- Krul ———————-
    Debuchy – Mbiwa – Coloccini – Santon
    ——– Cabaye – Tiote – Sissoko ———
    Ben Arfa ——– Cisse ————- Remy

or if De Jong comes in.

———————- Krul ———————-
    Debuchy – Mbiwa – Coloccini – Santon
    ————- Cabaye – Sissoko ————–
    Ben Arfa ——- De Jong ———– Remy
    ————— Cisse or Gomis —————-

Would be a strong, fast squad.

• G

Jul 25, 2013 at 11:01 AM

To be fair fog, most of those appearances are the last 20 mins from the bench, you did state that (going for the subway-sandwich joke maybe?) however, it’s worth pointing out regardless. I still feel Shola is nowhere near as bad a player as he’s made out to be, but he isn’t as instinctive a striker as we would like him to be. Always takes one touch too many in my opinion.

• count

Jul 25, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Wow! An article where TADS hasn’t commented yet! Must have had to go for a toilet break after spending a disgusting amount of time wasting his time commenting on here.

Sad tosspot. Is this the only place where people will listen to you?
    How on earth do you find the time to be constantly commenting on here. Why don’t you try real life.

• colwell

Jul 25, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Shola’s most prolific season was in the championship, that is and always ha been his level. His brother will be the same.

• richyg01

Jul 25, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Interesting article in The Journal

• richyg01

Jul 25, 2013 at 11:04 AM

@17

Sammy was pi$$ poor at Boro.

• Rotonda heights

Jul 25, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Can’t help but like Shola but it’s sad he is still here by default due to the fact we haven’t got ” anyone over the line ” and ” in the building”

• savio

Jul 25, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Hi Friends,

I really think we will get gomis…really hope we keep all our quality players and sign the 3 strikers mentioned here….my concern is regarding sunderland and the players they have signed…have they signed any quality players…do you guys seen any of those guys before…i have heard of altidore and giacherrini…and i do know that sessegnon and johnson are quality players…please let me know if you anything on those new guys…it will be really worse if they overtake us in the league…that will be worst thing to happen…

• xx sum ting wong xx

Jul 25, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Nico

Did they get any pics?

• Toon_Tom

Jul 25, 2013 at 11:06 AM

nico – if you stopped at the airport people may believe you – you then go on to taxi drivers and post office clerks!!!

So Remy and Gomis are waiting for a Blue Line Taxi to take them directly to the post office??

• Bearsize

Jul 25, 2013 at 11:07 AM

What dirt has this guy got on the toon? How often do you get frustrated with him? Cant wait to buy 2 strikers and keep cisse, but thing with shola is he will be happy being 4-5 choice and is lying by saying he will leave. Injurys will get him back on the bench or back on the pitch. He always scores when his contract is due. I say dont offer him one and he might score 5 goals off his arse this season. Shola is poo

• clinath@ed

Jul 25, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Please Count stop before you start….for the sake of the rest of us!! Don’t want to spend another day reading a senseless
    slagging match between two or more bloggers.
    Please.

• G

Jul 25, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Nico, I just rang my mate who works at the airport. Only had 3 planes land at Newcastle today (for passengers anyway) from Amsterdam at 10ish, Paris a few mins ago, and one from London. None of them have got their bags yet, so I doubt your taxi-scouts are accurate on this one, however, I love your optimism.

• Rotonda heights

Jul 25, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Nico

with respect would your daughter recognise gomis and Remy?

• foggonridiculous

Jul 25, 2013 at 11:08 AM

I actually agree with you G

If my maths is up to snuff (doubtful) it’s about 1 in 3.

He’s the club’s marmite – you love him or hate him.

I know he’s limited as a player and is never gonna’ rip a team apart but – imo – he has sometimes done a job for us.

….back to the ward now….there’s more of you bloggers in here with me than I thought…

I won’t name “names” though 🙂

• colwell

Jul 25, 2013 at 11:08 AM

richyg01

Yeah Sammy was he did score a cracker though, my main point is I can’t see him being Prem standard.

• JaxtheMag

Jul 25, 2013 at 11:08 AM

shola is that good,no1 has ever tried to sign him in 10 years,wonder if harry wants him

• ArtyH

Jul 25, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Repost.
    Pardew cant loose now as JFK is responsible for transfers, JFK will take all the flack for no signings.
    Reflecting on last years ludicrous off sides by poor officials, before the start of the season Pardew should make a statement that the forwards have had intense training about the ” off side trap “. Stating our forwards will have been drilled to start a step behind the opposition defender in order to negate the poor or biased decisions made by the suspect officials. This will be all over the T.V and the net and make the officials aware they will be scrutinised and hopefully we will be treated fairly. Just my thoughts. After all if someone says to you ” What ever you do don’t think of a pink elephant “, what’s the first thing that comes into your mind? Just my thoughts on one of our problems from last season.

• pawl250

Jul 25, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Colwell –

Ask them what happens when Liverpool lose Suarez….

They will be on par with us!

Like Johnson is a good defender?! LOL

Gerrard is past it.

Sterling is a few games wonder, disappeared after 4-5 games in the league.

Pass back Joe Allen.

Henderson runs round like a chicken with no real end product.

Downing is preferred left back these days!

Borini couldnt hit a barn door.

Sturridge although a good striker needs to stop being greedy, he could have set other players up atleast 4-5 times last season.

They have an average team themselves without Suarez….

Handful of good players i.e. Mignolet, Enrqiue (arguably not been the same since leaving us), Coutinho, Suarez.

They do have a better squad than us, I mean they have spent some money on it, but seriously without Suarez they would struggle to maintain top 7, I mean they might but its a possibility given a couple of years ago they were very average even with Suarez, who looks like he maybe off too!

• JP...from The Rock

Jul 25, 2013 at 11:10 AM

repost:

magpie6699 – Blind hatred? I’ve been painfully watching that clown Strolla try to kick a ball cleanly and score for more than 10 years! (shame he only does it in friendlies once a year)

And that sorry argument that he’s been loyal? Please don’t give me that tripe. Anyone would be loyal if they were at one of the best teams in Europe and earned as much as he gets paid.

Money and the fact that Strolla knows he’s shite is where his loyalty lies.

Even Championship teams will struggle to come to reasons for being interested in a player of such low quality.

I don’t ever shout stuff blindly unless we’re losing a match and I am watching it on telly.

This hatred has been building up season after season and our pathetic acceptance that if we don’t have any good strikers available-we still have Shola mentality really gets under my skin.

His goal scoring ratio has to be the worst in the world for a striker in ANY league. I’d rather have Kuqi than Shola, that’s how low I think of him. His quality is in talking his way onto a new extension.

Maybe Shola can convince Mike Ashley to signing something that resembles a striker using his persuasive powers, maybe that way we’ll see some movement in the transfer front and send STROLLA way down the pecking order.

rant over

• colwell

Jul 25, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Paw1250

Well I said how shite Henderson is they respond with the guy scored against you when we hammered you 6 nil.

Except Johnson they have a good,strong defense.

Suarez is a huge difference in teams I know and Sturridge I would love him here. Apparently their new boys are pretty good but I’ve not seen them.

• JAMSHA

Jul 25, 2013 at 11:14 AM

nico

mayb it was cisse with a wig on his way to the casino

• xx sum ting wong xx

Jul 25, 2013 at 11:15 AM

There isn’t much love for shola on this blog. You lot should try SUPPORTING!

• nico

Jul 25, 2013 at 11:16 AM

My uncles are all retired. I don’t have a sister or a daughter.

• nico

Jul 25, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Sorry. Couldn’t help myself, I so bored…..

• G

Jul 25, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Nice try at injecting some optimism into the blog anyway mate.

• JP...from The Rock

Jul 25, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Ed – ‘When fit and WILLING’- you hit the nail there son. He is only willing to play well against Sunderland. I guess he knows that if you only play well against the scum and score against them then you can be shite for the rest of the year with no problem.

He’s been doing that ever since he started and most are just happy he scored against the scum and want to keep him for the next match against the scum. Now is that retarded or is that retarded!?? Would it not be better to replace this tool with a PROPER STRIKER- One that could score bag full of goals against the scum AND every other team!?? One that is ‘willing’ every time and not just twice a year.

I bet my left nut that had we replaced Strolla properly years ago we would have won something by now or at least score more past the scum.

1 2 3 6