The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Lyon Reject Magpies’ €8M Offer – Negotiations Ongoing – Agreement Close

6:48 pm, Sunday, July 28th, 2013 by Ed Harrison · 184 Comments

News coming out of France today that Lyon yesterday turned down a Newcastle offer of around €8M  for Bafetimbi Gomis, which was lodged on Friday night, and Newcastle will have to offer even more, if they are to get their top striker target this summer.

bafetimbi gomis blue

Bafetimbi Gomis €8M offer turned down

€8M is around £6.9M, which is the amount widely reported in the English press yesterday that Newcastle had offered Lyon on Friday night – and it was an improved offer made by the Tyneside club.

We saw the news posted on the web-site le10sport earlier today, and it makes reference to L’Equipe breaking the news – this is the le10sport report:

“Lyon are looking to sell Bafetimbi Gomis in the transfer market, and  yesterday they have refused an offer of up to €8M from Newcastle.”

“Lyon are willing to sell their striker in the transfer window, the Rhone leaders are yet to drive the deal. According to L’Equipe , an offer up to €8M was rejected by the leaders of the OL (Olympique Lyonnais)) on Saturday.”

“Jean-Michel Aulas, the OL President currently continues with the negotiations with Newcastle.”

“le10Sport revealed exclusively in early July that Bafetimbi Gomis was attracted by the challenge at Newcastle United, and he has made that club his priority in the transfer market.”

“The two parties are still in discussions, but cannot be too far  from an agreement.”

So it looks like even though Lyon turned the improved offer down, Newcastle seem still to be in there negotiating, and maybe some agreement can be reached, and very soon too.

We are helping Ingo Hagemann – an International MSc student in Sports Marketing at Northumbria University in doing a survey on the controversial sponsorship between Wonga and Newcastle, as part of his Masters dissertation.

Ingo needs still more completed surveys completed, after meeting with his supervisor, so please help if you can by taking the survey here - many thanks.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

184 responses so far ↓

• 1 Big Pappa Cissé // Jul 28, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Got a feeling next week we will bring in our first signing. Head says Gomis but my heart says Remy . Or option 3 and get them both ;) .

Would love to see this guy at NUFC:

Would never happen though. I wish we would scout the German league a lot more, France has been drained. The Germans & the Spanish divisions have loads of quality youngsters.

• 2 Jail for Ashley // Jul 28, 2013 at 6:55 PM

FFS,
    Just get it done, they’re not buying a carpet.

• 3 numba9 // Jul 28, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Someone will come in and get this lad as we dilly dally as usual because we ain’t serious about signing anybody the amount of strikers that leave this club never to be replaced is staggering

• 4 Joe Blog // Jul 28, 2013 at 6:58 PM

Beginning of last season, according to Ruddy, the sun shone out of APs backside thanks to our 5th place and we were going to challenge for European spots once more, anyone who suggested otherwise was hounded and ridiculed, by him and his minions. This was apparently ‘based on evidence’.

Now, because we struggled last season, we’re complete rubbish, the more moderate fans are ‘in for a rude awakening’, blah blah blah. This is now apparently ‘based on evidence’ and review of his previous ‘evidence based’ views, he so routinely used to attack people with.

You have no credibility, the way you have swung between extremes shows your immaturity, you’re a plank and don’t even realise it. So please, spare the blog your overbearing, dull treatise.

Since you’ve been on this blog, it’s become a contest to see who can write the most painfully litigious essays and is no doubt why many people avoid the blog now. It used to be a casual place of witticisms and friendly exchange, now it’s as much fun as a H&S course, with a know-it-all incessantly butting in, telling everyone “this is the correct way to do it”, even after he’s been failed by the instructor.

• 5 Joe Blog // Jul 28, 2013 at 7:00 PM

No more long posts from me and won’t get into belabouring unknowns with people. Keeping it light from now on.

• 6 potski // Jul 28, 2013 at 7:02 PM

Repost

jazzyp

Is there a moderator? Several people today have resorted to personal abuse, will they be banned? It doesn’t seem to be the case.

How is it possible to say:

“shut up you little fart head”

“pig eyed mick with learning difficulties”

The forums I usually belong to would have had both posters immediately banned.

TDS and Ruddy had a sharp debate, but neither resorted to personal abuse. That’s how it should be done.

• 7 JaxtheMag // Jul 28, 2013 at 7:05 PM

if they want more money,the deal will be off.

• 8 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 28, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Joe

Me and my minions haha I think someone is just jealous that you have no minions ;)

I changed my mind mid season, sue me.

Some people have a problem with me, others don’t. Either way it has little impact on the day-to-day running of my life.

By all means, copy my name again and try to undermine me, you simply got outed as an idiot and that you were vastly more intelligent than I was, which only served to highlight your own insecurities.

It would seem the pot calling the kettle black is in effect once more, so before flagging up what you see are deficiencies in the character of someone you do not know, perhaps you could shine that spotlight closer to home.

Still some growing up to do, but you’ll get there ;)

• 9 Belfast // Jul 28, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Every transfer we’re involved in, always turns into a long drawn out saga.

• 10 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 28, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Freudian slip? :P *Thought you were vastly more intelligent than I was

• 11 toonarmydownsouth // Jul 28, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Well sticking with the fickle swings and roundabouts opinions….based on purely today’s txt commentary get ince signed up!!!!!

Sounds like the lad bossed it today!

Any highlights anywhere??

• 12 cbtoon82 // Jul 28, 2013 at 7:08 PM

We will sign gomis, and remy on loan. Pity, as I think we need a few wingers who can actually cross a ball.

• 13 toonarmydownsouth // Jul 28, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Ohh minions you say? Ruddy are you the bloke from dispicable me??

• 14 Slatymag // Jul 28, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Just noticed the health update, good stuff Ed!

Remy for me ahead of Gomis if it were a straight choice. No surprise there though – I think most people believe he offers more. Both?

• 15 potski // Jul 28, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Ah Ruddy you spoiled it, saying he was “outed as an idiot”. You could have left that sentence out and still made your point.

• 16 OhSholaAmeobi // Jul 28, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Wish we’d do our deals quickly and quietly like in January, instead of being plastered all over SSN

• 17 Toon-Prodigy // Jul 28, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Deary me, i’v just seen that Rangers tattoo on his face, whats he playing at?

Im surprised he didn’t get Pardew wrote across it the slaps he must of had.

• 18 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 28, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Potski

So near and yet so far. To contextualise my frustrations with this individual it must be said that this guy copied my username in an attempt to make me look stupid.

To call someone that does that an idiot is putting it mildly.

Tads

I’ve kept my identity a secret for so long….quiet, or I’ll get the shrink ray on you haha

• 19 toonarmydownsouth // Jul 28, 2013 at 7:13 PM

Toon prodigy
    In all fairness rangers tattoo only looks stupid because its not finished yet
    He’s having “is a” on his forehead then “****” on the other side

• 20 Joe Blog // Jul 28, 2013 at 7:14 PM

Another drearily predictable response. I couldn’t care less if it has any influence on your day to day life, I made no reference to it, again, just another indication of your own dizzying self-importance.

Anyway, cheerio. Out of here for the night.

• 21 toonarmydownsouth // Jul 28, 2013 at 7:15 PM

Slatymag
    I’m assuming Ed’s had some good news? You don’t get the health updates on the mobile version!
    Well good to hear Ed! Keep up the good work mate we’d be lost with out you!!!!

• 22 toon22 // Jul 28, 2013 at 7:16 PM

The fact is opinions on this blog arnt going to change anything about Newcastle.
    Its nice to read and follow the hearsay and rumours but the level some people goto to try and stamp there opinion on whats nothing more than a group of Newcastle fans with no say whatsoever in what happens is unreal.

• 23 yo-yo // Jul 28, 2013 at 7:17 PM

Ruddy

Are you saying that TDS was the fake Ruddy ?

• 24 toonarmydownsouth // Jul 28, 2013 at 7:17 PM

So lads going away from rangers tat and the in fighting, back to my original question!

Did ince play aswell as it sounded/read???
    Reckon this lad could be worth the gamble??

• 25 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 28, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Joe Blog

It isn’t my purpose, intention, or inclination to entertain you, and to derive that I am dizzyingly self important because your opinion of me does not impact upon my life smacks of someone who has arrived at a conclusion, bypassed logic all with the intention of landing an insult.

You really should keep it light from now on, it would be more within your capabilities.

• 26 potski // Jul 28, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Ok, you are forgiven:)

Copying someone’s user name, and also deliberately over and over mis-spelling a name (“Skunki” instead of “Tsunki”) should also be banned.

• 27 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 28, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Yo yo

No no, not TDS, rather Joe Blog.

• 28 Belfast // Jul 28, 2013 at 7:20 PM

The way Tony Fernandes is talking, Qpr want to keep Remy. Maybe a loan with no option to buy.

Then again he might not even be talking about Remy lol

• 29 Finnbad The Sailor // Jul 28, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Really hoping this one comes off. As said before really liked Gomis when I saw him in CL and Ligue 1.

However I’m hoping that the pace picks up a little this week.

and jfa on previous thread regarding tds;

I’m not trawling through old threads for evidence but what I have seen today is tds giving his opinion on things to then be told to shut up because it doesn’t conform with the negative stance some on this blog would have us all take.

Yes there are some good things about this club while at the same time some I’ve witnessed some tremendous clusterfcuks along the. We’ve got a couple of really good players at the club, we also have ones not up to standard. There are gaps to fill but we still have time to bring the players pardew named in the press as targets.

this is pretty close to the squad which gained 5th place with a few additions and changes. As well as a couple removed.

We’ve one less competition to deal with which should I hope along with the addition of the new fitness lady should stand us in better stead. This is my hope anyway.

I’m expecting this striker addition we’ve been promised and a very significant improvement on last seasons woeful display not only with tactics but also individual and team performances.

• 30 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 28, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Potski

The “Skunki” thing started as an inside joke between Belfast and Tsunki, so the use of it as an insult is ridiculous, as I am sure Tsunki doesn’t take it as such.

• 31 Toon-Prodigy // Jul 28, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Tads,

Hahaha. It would be very fitting that aye.

What an absolute nakka though. He thinks he’s a famous footballer dosn’t he?

Lol, he dosn’t even have a club!

The money he got off us won’t last him and his entourage very long.

There is only one place that lad is going like.

Im off to work, am hard done to like.

Laters lads.

• 32 Toon1978 // Jul 28, 2013 at 7:21 PM

If i owned the club lads and i was a Oil tycoon worth billions this is the team i would give you’s lol ;)

________________Neuer________________

Lahm_____Kompany_____Collo_____Alba

Ronaldo___Y Toure_____Iniesta____Sanchez

____________Messi____V.Persie_________

Unfortunately, i don’t have two pennies to rub together hahahaha.

• 33 Belfast // Jul 28, 2013 at 7:22 PM

I agree Potski.
    Who ever it was who started that Skunki thing should be banned straight away.

• 34 Belfast // Jul 28, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Ruddy the tout

• 35 toonarmydownsouth // Jul 28, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Belfast
    Tony Fernandes talks more sh1t than JFK!
    Don’t think QPR are in a position to dictate terms to much, everyone knows the wages they were offering last season so everyone knows how desperate they are to get the wage bill down

Reckon there will be quiet an exodus from there in the coming weeks, can’t see lads like granero wanting to play in the fizzy pop! Barca away to Darlington away!

• 36 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 28, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Finnbad

Context is key when dealing with someone you have spoken too time and time again. Not trying to get him to conform, trying to get him to drop his obsession with balance sheets, there is a difference.

• 37 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 28, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Belfast

I happen to like my kneecaps, can we come to some sort of arrangement? haha

• 38 Slatymag // Jul 28, 2013 at 7:25 PM

@TADS

Aye, first time I’ve been on here with the “big computer” in a while. Ed posted a health update on the 25th. I don’t know how he puts up with NUFC with everything else on his plate!

Hats off to ED!

• 39 toonarmydownsouth // Jul 28, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Prodigy
    Pretty sure he’s going to jail for rape isn’t he? Got his court date the other week

• 40 Belfast // Jul 28, 2013 at 7:26 PM

In my defence it was never actually meant to be an insult and Skunki knows that.

• 41 toonarmydownsouth // Jul 28, 2013 at 7:27 PM

Slatymag
    Especially with some of the pesters he gets of some of the muppets on here about his writing style!
    The blokes a trooper!

• 42 Belfast // Jul 28, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Last seasons approach must be costing Fernandes a fortune. Read Barton is looking 3 million to leave lol

And Boswinga had his contract ripped up today, probably for a few million quid.

• 43 Toon-Prodigy // Jul 28, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Tads,

He nahs nout,

Infact, he nahs less than nout.

Later dude.

• 44 toonarmydownsouth // Jul 28, 2013 at 7:32 PM

@NUFC_Stats: Papiss Cisse will return to the Newcastle United first team in Tuesday’s friendly against St Mirren, manager Alan Pardew has confirmed #nufc

@NUFC_Stats: AP: “He has looked in really good fettle, and he will have half a game, at least, at St Mirren.” #nufc

Also just read the posts on the previous article,
    All those calling pardew ” clueless” for only giving Campbell 5 mins, ffs check your facts the lad played yesterday!

• 45 oldbobaycliffe // Jul 28, 2013 at 7:33 PM

lyon must be laughing at nufc they know we are desperate for a striker and with the season starting soon they can afford to wait for us to pay the full price.one of the advantages of bringing in your transfer targets early on.it now appears gomis is all or nothing.kinnear says that he wants us to compete in the champions league knowing how he gets names mixed up did he mean the championship

• 46 Big Pappa Cissé // Jul 28, 2013 at 7:33 PM

@ Belfast

Remy is far too good for the Championship IMO. Plus as a footballer he probably wants to stay in the Premier League.

@ 1978

—————————-Neuer——————————

—Lahm———–Silva———-Chiellini———Alba—

——Ronaldo——Toure——–Iniesta———Bale——-

———————Falcao————Messi——————-

• 47 Yorkgeordie // Jul 28, 2013 at 7:34 PM

just watched ‘Get Carter’ for the umpteenth time. the main villain is called Kinnear, co-incidence or premonition from way back in 1971?

• 48 toonarmydownsouth // Jul 28, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Belfast
    Marseille and Barton have both talked up a move but Marseille have basically said due to joeys wages then QPR have to massively drop there asking price
    Like I said every club knows QPR are over a barrel, Redknapp can give it all the there under contract mouth but there up sh1t creek and everyone knows it!

• 49 Belfast // Jul 28, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Yeah I think they’re up for loaning him out, but they want to keep him. Probably in the hope that they get promoted first time of asking. I think they’ll struggle to come back up tbh.

• 50 toonarmydownsouth // Jul 28, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Shola’s goal

• 51 toonarmydownsouth // Jul 28, 2013 at 7:41 PM

Belfast
    Makes sense for them depends on the player I suppose, if he wants out…….

• 52 Toon1978 // Jul 28, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Big Pappa Cissé

Yes a very good team mate. If only we had a team like that to entertain us every week….sighhhh.

• 53 Jail for Ashley // Jul 28, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Torq,
    If you are reading you will notice that I have received a fair amount of abuse today because of my views on Mike Ashley, it is a shame you have stopped posting because a very small minority have given you less abuse in two weeks than I receive in two hours, I am sure I am not alone when asking you to start writing on the blog again.

• 54 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jul 28, 2013 at 7:43 PM

I cannot help thinking we were not prepared for this transfer window!…not by a mile :(

• 55 John Tudor // Jul 28, 2013 at 7:44 PM

hey torq come on down the waters fine

• 56 toonarmydownsouth // Jul 28, 2013 at 7:45 PM

@nufcfans: Pardew refuses to comment on Remy, Gomis, Bent – says Kinnear has list of targets and they are “difficult to get over the line.” #NUFC

@nufcfans: Q: How close do you think you are to getting that striker? AP smiles, “I don’t know, I’ll give Joe a call later and find out.” #NUFC

Roughly translates as hahahahahahaha no hope of signings cos joes a right proper tw@

• 57 toonarmydownsouth // Jul 28, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Jesper
    What an earth gave you that idea! ;)

• 58 yo-yo // Jul 28, 2013 at 7:46 PM

jesper

Expectations exceeding delivery as usual – so really very predictable for the Toon eh ?

• 59 potski // Jul 28, 2013 at 7:48 PM

If Tsunki has no problems with some good natured banter with Belfast…

It’s this from another poster which is objectionable:

“avoid the poison one Skunki.”

And several others along the same lines.

• 60 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jul 28, 2013 at 7:49 PM

tads…I am not sure; call it a hunch ;) lol

• 61 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jul 28, 2013 at 7:51 PM

yo-yo…I guess you could say had we done our signings already everyone would be amazed ;)

• 62 toonarmydownsouth // Jul 28, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Potski
    If you banned every poster for having a dig at someone there would be no one on here

Jesper
    I just don’t get, we’ve even bought in an overly qualified DOF, for gods sake the man invented gravity I just don’t get it!

• 63 hotdog // Jul 28, 2013 at 7:52 PM

We are being taken for right mugs boys and girls

Pardew has just said “I have a strong squad”

Am I missing something ffs!!!!!!

He has been complaining since the end of last season “I don’t have a strong enough squad”

I didn’t but do now think that AP and the other geezer are just playing the game for Ashley. The only way this can end is a boycott or huge demo.

• 64 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jul 28, 2013 at 7:54 PM

tads…and don’t forget he knows everyone in the football business and beyond!

…he is even the self pronounced “Fisher King” keeper of the Holy Grail!

• 65 toonarmydownsouth // Jul 28, 2013 at 7:54 PM

Hotdog
    What can pardew say? He has no control over transfers and knows that JFK’s lurking he can hardly come out and say our squads sh1te and JFK’s a divvy t1t

• 66 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jul 28, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Is Torq back from the great unknown?

• 67 cheick n bake // Jul 28, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Ruddy is a troll .. do not talk to him and he will the blog hopefully

• 68 cheick n bake // Jul 28, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Leave

• 69 toonarmydownsouth // Jul 28, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Jesper
    Ah yes, he can pick up the phone and call any manager, including ferguson, did anyone tell him that sir Alex has retired or his still leaving him voicemails!!!

• 70 potski // Jul 28, 2013 at 7:57 PM

TADS

Thanks for the link to Shola’s good goal.

No evidence in that clip that this was from a corner. But then why was Williamson up in the box?

Anyone clear-up whether we eventually scored from a corner?

• 71 Jail for Ashley // Jul 28, 2013 at 7:57 PM

Finbad,
    I disagree strenously with TDsarfs views on the way the club is being run, as a free speaking blog suould I just ignore his comments, and where today have I told him to shut up.

• 72 Belfast // Jul 28, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Aye it was just a joke between me and Tsunki. It was never an insult like.

• 73 Slatymag // Jul 28, 2013 at 8:01 PM

Pardew may as well tell it like it is. Everyone knows he’s toothless. And since he didn’t want to walk away from his bumper contract, he should just spit it out as the worst that can happen is he’ll get a massive payoff to go with his sacking. I don’t think any tribunal would disagree that he has been massively undermined.

• 74 Toon1978 // Jul 28, 2013 at 8:02 PM

TBF to Pards i think he is avoiding getting the supporters hopes up. He has to cover his own back. He ain’t exactly gonna say Gomis and Remy will come it next week and leave his head on the block. I am however extremely impatient for transfers now lol but Pards can’t be blamed. There is one man to blame but a will not mention his name incase i get slaughtered lol but yo will know who i am talking about.

• 75 00chambersl09 // Jul 28, 2013 at 8:02 PM

Hopefully this week get in gomis remy “over the line” and our team will look loads better yes we need wingers but 1 baby step at a time we need strikers first n foremost

• 76 toonarmydownsouth // Jul 28, 2013 at 8:02 PM

Potski
    Corner was played short then crossed in, so not a direct corner, but hey it was a worked set piece that ended in a good finish so happy days!

• 77 hotdog // Jul 28, 2013 at 8:03 PM

Tads – he should keep his gob shut mate. He is sounding like a fool and fans like myself and you I’m guessing are not going to believe a word that comes out of his cake hole

• 78 Belfast // Jul 28, 2013 at 8:04 PM

He said thing last summer strong squad blah blah blah

Then a few months later he was moaning about having a small squad lol I just don’t listen anymore.

• 79 potski // Jul 28, 2013 at 8:04 PM

TADS

I doubt it, there are plenty of people who don’t resort to abuse. And banning a couple of those who can’t follow the rules would send out a clear message to the others. My experience is that you can improve things that way.

• 80 Big Pappa Cissé // Jul 28, 2013 at 8:04 PM

I am starting to think this so called line is bigger than the Equator :)

• 81 Toon1978 // Jul 28, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Big Pappa Cissé

Hahahaha my thoughts anarl mate.

• 82 jimiley // Jul 28, 2013 at 8:08 PM

We may not get anybody over the line. Either they cost more than 6 million or the wages are too much. But we should be OK even if we sign nobody. The owner does not want to challenge for silverware and we should avoid relegation. everybody is happy!!!LOL.

• 83 yo-yo // Jul 28, 2013 at 8:09 PM

Seriously bad kharma if Pards is saying we have strong squad this far away from the window closing

• 84 toonarmydownsouth // Jul 28, 2013 at 8:09 PM

Hotdog
    Hard to say nout when he’s in a room full of journo’s asking him about transfers
    Far as I’m concerned he’s taking flak atm for kinnears incompetence

• 85 Belfast // Jul 28, 2013 at 8:12 PM

I think he knows nothing about transfers tbh.

Everybody relax and put your faith in Joe Kinnear lol

• 86 toonarmydownsouth // Jul 28, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Potski
    Maybe
    Just think this is a hot bed of frustration especially during silly season, everyone has a choice, retaliate, rise above it or ignore it
    Yeah you shouldn’t have to but these things happen
    BTW if I ever address a post to you and is says potato instead of potski I’m not having a dig its just my auto correct really doesn’t want me to right potski!!!!!

• 87 toonarmydownsouth // Jul 28, 2013 at 8:13 PM

*write not right doh!

• 88 Bambams // Jul 28, 2013 at 8:14 PM

If they want more coin for Gomis i can see a bigger push to get Remy on loan then the usual Ash style we will go back for Gomis in January and offer half what we have offered now.

imo

• 89 hotdog // Jul 28, 2013 at 8:19 PM

TADS. it is the comment about the squad that does not sit right. Nobody forced him to say that. It is a bad comment bud

• 90 jimiley // Jul 28, 2013 at 8:19 PM

We may not want him but we need to keep faith in Joe K. He will deliver top class players and we will soon be challenging for top 4. MA bought into the club to turn us into a superpower. Be patient and keep the faith in the owner.

• 91 toonarmydownsouth // Jul 28, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Hotdog
    Fair enough, and I agree the squads not strong enough it has no width, but I also have no faith in that slobbering DOF to bring in proper enforcements

• 92 potski // Jul 28, 2013 at 8:22 PM

It’s not just a case of getting up fans hopes. He can hardly say, “We are desperate for another striker.” That will just make Lyon, Villa etc think they can hold out for more money, and the players for more wages.

Equally, “Shola is not required, we think he is past his best and can’t contribute enough on the pitch.” That will be taken as a message that he is not worth much, and a low bid will get him. Plus always looks stupid (Liverpool/Caroll) when a sale doesn’t go through.

Nothing the manager says can be assumed to be the literal truth. They are playing a game of poker and trying to avoid sending out messages on our intentions. For example who knows whether the Bent stories are designed to make Lyon think at any stage we will pull the plug on Gomis and take Bent instead? I don’t believe they are genuinely interested in both.

• 93 Big Pappa Cissé // Jul 28, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Buy Gomis, get Remy on loan, bring in Sinclair and a few prospects and then I will be exited for the season.

• 94 OhSholaAmeobi // Jul 28, 2013 at 8:25 PM

jimiley

possibly the most optimistic person ever.

• 95 Belfast // Jul 28, 2013 at 8:27 PM

Think Sinclair is going to West Brom.

We badly need a winger in this window like.

• 96 jimiley // Jul 28, 2013 at 8:28 PM

We came 5th bottom after being gifted a win at QPR. Why do we need more quality and yet have only sold players? Be worried, be very worried indeed. According to Percy this smaller squad which came 5th bottom is “very strong indeed.” Anybody think he is a bumbling toady?

• 97 Toon1978 // Jul 28, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Belfast

I agree and mentioned this yesterday but i was verbally abused for saying so. We have send our best crosser of the ball out on loan to the brummies and Obertan and Marv will never be wingers.

• 98 ScottyCovNUFC // Jul 28, 2013 at 8:30 PM

How many times does Pardew say ” there hard to get over the line”

No Alan if we didnt fanny about and penny pinch to try and get players in as cheap as we good they wouldnt be f@#$ing hard to get over the line.

• 99 Premiership Manager // Jul 28, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Pardew said it all in this afternoons post match interview where he let it slip that JFK will bring one player in. When he realised his slip he said we have a very strong squad and that we will bring in 1 possibly 2 players.

The odds on pardew being first manager sacked are 2-1 on sky bet with the next manager having odds of 7-1.

Not looking forward to this season as the club is an utter shambles and it’s a disgrace that a club that can sell 50,000+ tickets every home game can’t get the basic fundamentals right

• 100 Slatymag // Jul 28, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Jimiley, can you get me some of the fantastic product you have imbued so I can feel like you?

• 101 potski // Jul 28, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Tads I’ll not take offence at potato. Might just change my name to make it easier for autocorrect. Tads gets a red underlining but the autocorrect can’t find anything to replace it with. How about Toads, Tramps, Tarts!

A short corner is a corner in my book. As long as it was not sent into the middle cleared out to the wing then crossed back in. That’s good enough for me.

• 102 Stay Fit Hatem!! // Jul 28, 2013 at 8:43 PM

2nd day on the blog and i love the different opinions we got on here. We all know the mistakes from last season…and their doing it again!! Look at norwichunder hughton who value for money have probably had the best transfer window in EUROPE let alone the EPL. Pardew is mad for going back to 4-4-2, the only reason why 4-2-3-1 didnt work was because he played players out of position.

• 103 hotdog // Jul 28, 2013 at 8:44 PM

Ermmm PM. Not typing all that ;-)

Spot on. As I say I didn’t want to believe it but things just ain’t right

• 104 Stay Fit Hatem!! // Jul 28, 2013 at 8:44 PM

Just to infuriate me even more, my football manager game AGAIN came up with the headline “Pardew fearful after Gutierrez injury” and goes on to say “Losing Jonas is a bitter blow to our chances”

• 105 Belfast // Jul 28, 2013 at 8:45 PM

I get the feeling we’re going to waste a load of time on this deal and just end up walking away in the end.

If they’ve said the price is 10 million euros, and we’re not willing to pay that much, just move on to the next target. Instead of spending weeks trying to get them to drop the price by 2 million, because it aint gonna happen lol

• 106 scout // Jul 28, 2013 at 8:47 PM

Post 47 Yorkgeordie
    His name was Cyril Kinnear in the film, not sure if he is related to Joe?? It’s possible knowing joes eventful past lol

• 107 Slatymag // Jul 28, 2013 at 8:48 PM

Is “the line” roughly the difference between 2 or 3 premiership places? Each position is worth about 800,000 quid, no? So finishing say 17th and 12th is a fortune, but essentially comes down to maybe 6 points (ish). Too much quibbling over what really is a investment. Buy quality, pay quality (within reason), receive quality. It’s not that rocket science! I think MA must have a real hang-up about not being ripped off to the point where he can’t see reason.

Still got to love the Sissoko deal though!

• 108 scout // Jul 28, 2013 at 8:52 PM

PARDEW
    LOOK AT SPIDER-MAN’S STATS LAST SEASON
    Look deeper than how far someone runs in a game.

Ps HAVE YOU SEEN THE PACE on that man

• 109 croftus5678 // Jul 28, 2013 at 8:54 PM

i’m thinking pards enjoyed the crowds chants today as he’s spoke on nufc official and was smiling when he said the crown was fantastic today :-)

• 110 croftus5678 // Jul 28, 2013 at 8:55 PM

*crowd

• 111 bills-son // Jul 28, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Joe Blog,

Is there anyone more pretentious on here than Ruddy?

Easy question to answer. No.

He tells you to ‘keep it light’ and in the same post talks about ‘contextualising’ …

You’ve got to laugh.

• 112 Toon_Tom // Jul 28, 2013 at 8:57 PM

Word on twitter is that Remy is in Gateshead Hilton!

• 113 Slatymag // Jul 28, 2013 at 8:59 PM

Toon_Tom

Are these twitter people reliable or what?

• 114 scout // Jul 28, 2013 at 8:59 PM

He’s slumming it ain’t he

• 115 scout // Jul 28, 2013 at 9:00 PM

Remy spotted drinking with a 6 fingered man

• 116 leazes upper ( moved to the gallowgate ) // Jul 28, 2013 at 9:01 PM

The hilton. Is that cos barnetta still using the jesmond dene and MA aint settled the bill yet

• 117 Slatymag // Jul 28, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Had a load of free pints in the Gateshead Hilton one night by telling the bar I was with a party taking place. Every time we went back for another they dished it over for nowt! Lovely!!!

• 118 Spuggy // Jul 28, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Remy seen buying 3 ounces of rohypnol from bearded midget

• 119 leazes upper ( moved to the gallowgate ) // Jul 28, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Remy spotted eatin a steak bake at central station

• 120 Uncertain Toon // Jul 28, 2013 at 9:03 PM

Good evening,

I see Nile Ranger is getting all the preparatory work carried out before he gets sent down! Probably the first time he’s ever thought about what he’s doing, the irony!!!

• 121 Bearsize // Jul 28, 2013 at 9:03 PM

Does anyone think pardew wants to get sacked? I do. He signed a big contract and started making really bad decisions consistently and never learns. Get sacked, get loads of money, get another job, pards likes to gamble probably has fifty grand on himself to get the bullit. He has history if doing so poor in his second seasons. Had he been given big contracts at his previous jobs after his first seasons?? Maybe worth a look. This is just a passing thought but you never know!

• 122 magpie6699 // Jul 28, 2013 at 9:03 PM

He might be in the Hilton but will he bother to get up in the morning?

• 123 Toon1978 // Jul 28, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Remy stuck in the hotel room with Barnetta. He will never get out. Barnetta has been stuck in that room for 2 years now ;)

• 124 papattack // Jul 28, 2013 at 9:04 PM

dont get me wrong ashleys insistance not to overspend is good in that we wont ever ‘do a leeds’.

but i do wish he would just pay the money sometimes otherwise we will always be a middle of the road prem club when with a few additions we could be so much! players like ben arfa sissoko cabaye etc are all top players. even with remy gomis and bent and get shot of shola we could be top six i think.

• 125 Spuggy // Jul 28, 2013 at 9:05 PM

Remy spotted fly fishing with j r hartley

• 126 scout // Jul 28, 2013 at 9:05 PM

What year was the Hilton built I remember being out on the tiles when they were building that thing.

• 127 Big Pappa Cissé // Jul 28, 2013 at 9:05 PM

Remy spotted on the quayside kebab wrap in hand :)

• 128 Slatymag // Jul 28, 2013 at 9:06 PM

Remy in Pinders five minutes ago complaining that the only Great North Bun left was Ham and Pease Pudding. Apparently he doesn’t like pease pudding. Stormed off down the dene!

• 129 leazes upper ( moved to the gallowgate ) // Jul 28, 2013 at 9:07 PM

5 or 6 yrars ago i think

• 130 Toon1978 // Jul 28, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Slatymag

Hahahahahahahaha love it!

• 131 roe997 // Jul 28, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Slatymag hahaha classic

• 132 Spuggy // Jul 28, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Remy spotted in Benton training ground scoring from his own corners

• 133 roe997 // Jul 28, 2013 at 9:11 PM

Remy has just ordered a taxi to for your eyes only.dirty randy frenchie oh he oh

• 134 Spuggy // Jul 28, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Remy seen in digital with a strange melted wax red faced man playing on wii sports resort

• 135 woodsee // Jul 28, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Remy spotted in Rothbury with Gazza

• 136 scout // Jul 28, 2013 at 9:13 PM

Longer than that must be 10 years mate

• 137 jazzyp // Jul 28, 2013 at 9:13 PM

@BafGomis- J’espere que vois arriverez a la magnifique Newcastle utd mon ami

• 138 scout // Jul 28, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Remy spotted in the strawberry with spender

• 139 Taking the Papiss // Jul 28, 2013 at 9:15 PM

Hi all,

Haven’t been on here for a while – thought I would give a quick summary as to where we are now.

As someone who backed Pardew and Ashley I have to say that I could not reconcile Kinnear with that position. I still back Pardew to the hilt and if you have read any of George Caulkin’s extremely well written articles you will see that Pardew has come clean for a lot of his mistakes, has brought in Downey to deal with fitness and according to the players, following them making their concerns known to Pardew, he has stepped up training. I believe this genuinely shows Pardew capable of learning. Lets see how we line up at the start of seasons with tactics etc. Man City game should be written off – but from there let’s see where we go? Hope people will at least do that.

In terms of transfers, I think we are getting there slowly but surely. Gomis and Remy seem to be and should be the priorities. If we don’t get Remy I would really like to see Vydra as he has great potential and would cost a similar amount. Other than them I would like to see Zoet come in as we are short on goal keepers and he seems to be highly thought of. I would also like a left midfielder although not sure Sinclair is the answer – I will leave that one up to Carr. Finally, it is by no means essential but I would like a young centr back. My absolute preference would be Nathan Chalobah from Watford? Excellent player with huge potential and I think he will not get used under Mourinho.

• 140 roe997 // Jul 28, 2013 at 9:16 PM

Remy is in the hilton f me i take back every joke av………..no wait its hugo the bell boy haha

• 141 Slatymag // Jul 28, 2013 at 9:16 PM

Remy spotted behind Scotchy sports centre trying to scrape dogshit off his left shoe. Foaming by all accounts!

Not ITK, just the info I’m getting.

• 142 Spuggy // Jul 28, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Remy in shock sex scandal with alien who ate his eyelid

• 143 roe997 // Jul 28, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Sorry papiss cnt be arsed with long posts sorry

• 144 scout // Jul 28, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Opened march 2004
    Where’s the time go, it was Christmas 2003 in the toon, what a night. Seems like yesterday

• 145 Spuggy // Jul 28, 2013 at 9:19 PM

Remy donates one of his three livers to RVI

• 146 leazes upper ( moved to the gallowgate ) // Jul 28, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Remy spotted in rupalis doing the curry challenge

• 147 Bearsize // Jul 28, 2013 at 9:26 PM

Remy might be going to prison! Ha mines true. Wow we want a possible rapist in our team. Isn’t life funny ;)

• 148 roe997 // Jul 28, 2013 at 9:27 PM

Remy is over the line……….on the other side of the station getting a train back to london.haha

• 149 NEWEXPATMAGPIE // Jul 28, 2013 at 9:30 PM

I think we hard to play hard-ball with Lyon over Gomis?

Make one final bid of say 7,5 Mil quid and say to them “Take it or LEAVE IT”!

There are too many Clubs who have pissed around with us over transfers Previously. Either make the deal or look elsewhere !

• 150 Slatymag // Jul 28, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Remy spotted walking towards the airport up Stamfordham Road. Flagged a Geordie Taxi down and kept repeating “Ballon, Ballon!”. Got dropped off at the Balloon. Furious! Owes the driver 50 quid for getting dogshit on his Octavia floor mat as well. Final straw!! I think this one is off lads.

• 151 roe997 // Jul 28, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Why would a millionaire prem footballer need to rape someone even use date rape by all accounts.My thinking he was either set up or he hangs with th wrong crowd but u never know.

• 152 Toon_Tom // Jul 28, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Roe @150 – agreed

• 153 check the toastie // Jul 28, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Remy doing a busking duet with the mental f#cker who plays the banjo near the millennium bridge.

• 154 roe997 // Jul 28, 2013 at 9:35 PM

Toon tom

flash a fifty down the bigg market and you pull, slangs love money and footballers. They love rich footballers even more.dirty bitches haha

• 155 scout // Jul 28, 2013 at 9:35 PM

If Remy and Gomis sign how dangerous will that be, it’ll be some side

• 156 hotdog // Jul 28, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Expat – that is the point though. We ain’t set a deadline and moved on. We will be left in the same state when remi turned us down. They are clueless.

• 157 roe997 // Jul 28, 2013 at 9:38 PM

If we do sign remy and gomis,then the french national team will have a side already jelled for world cup. Agreed scout it will be some side

• 158 scout // Jul 28, 2013 at 9:38 PM

I remember drinking in Durham, the Sunderland players used to meet in a pub there after away games and make aeroplanes out of 50 pound notes and fire them over the bar. It was some years ago but ill never forgot it

• 159 Slatymag // Jul 28, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Remy being chased through Newbiggin Hall as we speak. Apparently kicked some radge-packet’s staffie up the hole outside Michael’s.

• 160 check the toastie // Jul 28, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Papiss – I love your blind faith, however in all the years Pardew has been manager at all the clubs he’s been employed at he has never ever produced a team that played good football.

He has no idea on how to get the ball up the pitch without a target man. He is a dinosaur and the club will remain stagnant until he is binned.

• 161 santonthenewmaldini // Jul 28, 2013 at 9:40 PM

Just pay the extra money and get Gomis signed for godsake!!!

We have extra tv money a couple of million should not make a difference !!

Sign Remy as well and to be honest that could potentially be the strongest forward line up we have had in a long long time :

Cisse , Remy, Gomis , Arfa, Marveux, Gouffran and Vuckic

OOOOOOOOSSSSSHHHHHHHH

Although we really need a proper quality winger as well

• 162 roe997 // Jul 28, 2013 at 9:40 PM

Anymore news on twatter? I dnt 7se it myself

• 163 The Arizona Geordie Pizzicato // Jul 28, 2013 at 9:40 PM

Remy is spotted begging on a street called Remie Streete.

• 164 geordie157 // Jul 28, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Remy seen in pizza hut consoling Declan Donnelly who is still struggling to come to terms with his break up with Georgie Thompson

• 165 scout // Jul 28, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Brilliant

• 166 roe997 // Jul 28, 2013 at 9:44 PM

I now have an imadge of remy dressed as wheres wally. Running round the toon and hiding in daft places haha there he is hes hanging off china towns entrance haha

• 167 potski // Jul 28, 2013 at 9:48 PM

jimiley

How do we have a smaller squad than last year? Simpson left but had already been replaced by Debuchy. It’s clear Simpson would have been sold for a fee in Jan, rather than wait until the end of the season and get nothing for him. But he was injured during the window, so no-one was prepared to pay a fee for him. Straight swap.

Although Perch played more often in CM this season he was bought as a CB/FB (I’m sure he played mainly at CB for Forest in his later time with them). MYM replaced him as someone who could play all of those positions but is a far better CB. Sissoko also can play CM.

Six players came in during Jan, and only one left, though one was clearly for the development squad. That’s a net gain of four players in the first team. And we couldn’t name them all in the Europa, and presumably only could in the EPL by dropping some of the younger players we sent out on loan, like Ferguson and Sammy, and Raylor who was injured.

Obviously none of the new players were really an adequate replacement for Ba. That’s the only area we must strengthen, as we were forced to play Guti and Sissoko in attacking positions. Round pegs/square holes.

Sorry, I don’t get the panic for 3-4 top players. If we don’t have major injury problems, then not having European football means we can’t play them all on a regular basis. For example Sakho looks excellent, but would he or MYM be prepared to sit on the bench most of the season? I think not.

Let’s be clear this is also an issue with Gomis and Remy. Despite the usual money related abuse about Remy, it was clear that he was promised by QPR that he would start games if fit and play through the middle. We couldn’t promise the same in Jan and still can’t. Gomis seems to have been first choice for Lyon and also played centrally. They can’t all play in one position. Only playing 4-4-2 would help, but I think that you can’t keep people like HBA happy if they are not playing much? And the idea that we can play them all by having 3 attackers and 2 wingers, 3-2-5 lol!

• 168 roe997 // Jul 28, 2013 at 9:48 PM

Geordie 157

Whilst texting georgie thompson the dirty little rascal

• 169 scout // Jul 28, 2013 at 9:48 PM

Is burger Barry still in the toon

• 170 RonVanDam // Jul 28, 2013 at 9:48 PM

Remy spotted on the Titanic

• 171 Slatymag // Jul 28, 2013 at 9:50 PM

Remy spotted in Newcastle airport. All over Twitter. Missing a couple of teeth and right shoe, breathing heavily. Some saying he stinks like dogshit, but these reports can’t be verified at this time.

• 172 roe997 // Jul 28, 2013 at 9:50 PM

How way man potski, queer essay gannin on there like.now i have to scroll another 20m to get to a new post haha oj kidder.

• 173 Crow59 // Jul 28, 2013 at 9:58 PM

Anyone see the full game today and have an opinion as Ince as a signing??

• 174 Big Pappa Cissé // Jul 28, 2013 at 10:02 PM

One thing I will say about Gomis is that he looks like a powerful lad, Very Lukaku like.

• 175 stuart no9 // Jul 28, 2013 at 10:05 PM

FFS — Ashley, just pay up you tight cnut, and get the man FFS ARGGGGGG — he really does make my teeth itch.

• 176 Slatymag // Jul 28, 2013 at 10:05 PM

#GFN France

Loic Remy spotted frog-marching Gomis back up the steps onto Air France flight shouting “C’est tout fou! C’est tout fou!”

JFK OUT!!

• 177 bills-son // Jul 28, 2013 at 10:06 PM

Remy seen with his mate Martin supping from a brandy bottle outside Mrs McGurgle”s b&b in Cowgate.

More news later.

• 178 yo-yo // Jul 28, 2013 at 10:10 PM

potski

Could play a 4-3-1-2 – solve the problems of having twin strikers. With Debuchy and Santon (though ideally a proper left footed LB) we’d still have some width

• 179 Munster Mag // Jul 28, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Havent been on the blog much, and this has no doubt been discussed, but I find it remarkable that the players can comeout abd slag off Pardews pre season training last year as being too easy. I’ve never heard plaers do this, and it says little for Pardew. Amawing really. Evening Billson mate.

• 180 Uncertain Toon // Jul 28, 2013 at 10:12 PM

I don’t think there is any doubt we will get 2 strikers in. Does Mashley want a repeat of last season? I think he just likes the gamble/enjoys the buzz of the deal as there’s know way he’d allow Kinnear to negotiate on his own. However he must have realised by now, in football, that being too hard ball ie. waiting 6 months to save a few quid(Debuchy) can be massively detrimental to events on the pitch. I mean if we’d have got Debuchy 6 months earlier would he have been worth a few points? Points mean places and at 800 grand a place or whatever would have cancelled that out. Maybe i’m just going round and round in circles, trying to suss out what WTF is going on!
    Head hurts with all this pish!!!!

• 181 NEWEXPATMAGPIE // Jul 28, 2013 at 10:20 PM

@160 & 155 :

My point is this, there are two or three clubs out there who have cocked us around before!

Lille en FC Twente among them, its almost as if NUFC come in for a player then they can automatically double the price and get away with it.

I say make the final definite offer, and if it aint accepted or the price goes up again, then pull the plug on any deal and look elsewhere !

Be good if we got Gomis but for a realistic price? If Lyon get away with messing with us then the rest will always think they can do the same ! Lyon are in dire financial problems and need to sell the player to relieve their Debt problems !

Bollocks to them !

• 182 jimiley // Jul 28, 2013 at 10:36 PM

Mashley is a total plonker. Simples!!!! Worst owner we have ever had. Simples!!! Most depressing time in last 100 years. Simples.!!!

• 183 Bowzer912 // Jul 28, 2013 at 11:07 PM

@ToonProdigy #31 Probably spent it on that tattoo :)

• 184 thai-mag // Jul 28, 2013 at 11:21 PM

yo yo
    4-3-1-2 or maybe 4-1-2-2-1 or 3-1-1-2-1-2 It’s the players on the pitch that make the difference, as Sir Bobby used to say his favorite formation was 4-4-4

previous post: Alan Pardew Pleased To Get The Win