The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Top Frenchman – The Feeling In The Squad Is Very, Very Positive

9:37 am, Monday, July 29th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 51 Comments

One of the things Newcastle have had to their advantage since June of 2009, when Chris Hughton took over a Newcastle team that was almost down and out, and inspired the players into getting the club promoted from the Championship at the first attempt – is that Newcastle’s team spirit has been fantastic.

FBL-ENG-PR-BLACKPOOL-NEWCASTLE-FRIENDLY

Yohan Cabaye in action yesterday

After Chris was so unfairly fired by Mike Ashley and Derek Llambias (Llambias was the instigator of that) and Alan Pardew came into the club in December, 2010, the good team spirit has continued, and that’s because both recent Newcastle managers are very good at man-management.

And even through the bad times of March, April and May this year, the spirit remained strong, even though the Telegraph put the boot in when the team went through those terrible losses to Sunderland and Liverpool, and reported there were feuds with the Frenchmen in the dressing room.

That report was false and Newcastle just survived in the Premier League last season – but no thanks to the Telegraph for that.

Yohan Cabaye has been linked with Manchester United, Monaco and Paris Saint-Germain this summer, but Yohan is looking forward to the season starting at Manchester City on August 19th, and he has said this in the Chronicle today:

“I’m just working hard,” “We have to be focused and ready for the first game on August 19.” “It was a good win at Blackpool.” “For me, it was my first win of the season, so it was nice.”

“We played well in the first half.” “The second half was more difficult, but we were still working.”

The more than 2,000 Newcastle fans who made the trek to Blackpool yesterday were in fine voice, as usual, and they made it clear in the second half with their chants, that they didn’t want Yohan Cabaye to be sold – and in fact the Frenchman looks to be getting back to his best, in what will be a key season for the Frenchmen on Tyneside.

Most of them will be trying to get into the French squad for the World Cup in Brazil next summer.

Yohan talked about those positive chants for him, as he continued:

“It’s always nice to hear that, and the fans were fantastic, as they are every time.” “It was a great moment.” “The feeling in the squad is very, very positive.”

“It’s nice to work in this atmosphere.” “We just want to progress with the ball and keep more of the ball than last season.” “We gave away the ball too easily sometimes.”

“The manager wants us to take one or two touches on the ball and move after the pass.” “It’s good.” “We’re not 100% fit, but we’re working hard.” “It was a good and bright win.”

“It’s good for Shola and for us.” “We worked really hard in Portugal. The week was fantastic.” “Everybody’s focused on the team. The win was good for the future.”

Yohan seems to love it at Newcastle, but if a bigger club than Newcastle comes in for him, he could still want to leave Newcastle.

But it would have to be a club like the Red Devils, but Mike Ashley will want all of £25M for him, and if Manchester United sign Cesc Fabregas from Barcelona soon, presumably Cabaye will be off their radar screen.

It’s important that Newcastle keep their class players like Yohan Cabaye on Tyneside this summer.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Friendlies · Newcastle News · Pre-Season · Transfer News and Rumours · Yohan Cabaye

51 responses so far ↓

• 1 John Tudor // Jul 29, 2013 at 9:38 AM

nufc run by callus numpties

• 2 Indian Magpie // Jul 29, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Damm

I wanted to be 1st

• 3 cyprus // Jul 29, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Cabaye,
    That pic could go with some interesting captions mate :)

• 4 John Tudor // Jul 29, 2013 at 9:41 AM

you snooze you loose ok
    you can be first

• 5 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 29, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Re post
    Indian,
    Ha, didn’t realise he would be valued at 15 mill. I saw 10mill bandied around for him in Jan. If AC are interested though we might as well walk away!

Klatoon,
    Cheers mate. Yeah, Lilongwe isn’t exactly well known, plenty of people have never heard of Malawi, other than in a sentence containing the words, Madonna baby and adopted.

Are you living in Kampala? I remember seeing someone say they were in Uganda, I assume that was you? I spent a while in Kenya, near Kakamega and Kisumu and kept meaning to go to Uganda, but the opportunity never arose.

• 6 Transfer Sage // Jul 29, 2013 at 9:43 AM

good words from cabaye there

• 7 Toon-Prodigy // Jul 29, 2013 at 9:43 AM

80Toon-Prodigy // Jul 29, 2013 at 9:41 AM

You know whats hilarious about the whole thing..

He’s got the nerve to slap 25 million price tags on our players heads and then acts like he hasn’t got a pot to p1ss in haha.

If Remy knocks are wages back and someone comes in for Gomis where screwed.

• 8 Toon Avenger // Jul 29, 2013 at 9:45 AM

The feeling will be negative if the club fail to show ambition again.

• 9 John Tudor // Jul 29, 2013 at 9:45 AM

we probably are any way
    penny pinching scrooge
    i hope you get a visit Christmas eve
    you scummer

• 10 nut meg // Jul 29, 2013 at 9:45 AM

The manager wants the players to take one or two touches,pass & move.I would call that a positive start.

• 11 JackButler // Jul 29, 2013 at 9:46 AM

Two striker in and everyone will be really looking forward to the season (Pardews tactics aside)

No strikers in and we will be in for another season of pain, misery and 1970’s kick and rush football with few goals

• 12 Indian Magpie // Jul 29, 2013 at 9:47 AM

Mike At the Autograph signing of his Auto Biography today titled

“Hypocritical Billionaire”

• 13 toon22 // Jul 29, 2013 at 9:47 AM

The whole Gomis saga leads you to beleve both he and his club are just p!ssing us about.
    Imo they should send Carr off to Germany/Belgium.

• 14 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 29, 2013 at 9:48 AM

Positive step from the club?

• 15 Indian Magpie // Jul 29, 2013 at 9:48 AM

I mean Hypocrite, not Hypocritical

• 16 Toon-Prodigy // Jul 29, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Everything seems to looking good apart from transfers.

All the right things are being said, everyone seems happy looking forward to the season.

Just a shame.

• 17 JackButler // Jul 29, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Toon-Prodigy

Shooting ourselves in the foot again :(

• 18 John Tudor // Jul 29, 2013 at 9:51 AM

i don’t see the forum as a good start
    all the people on forum look as though they will be vetted by the club and will be installed by the club and not by the majority of fans

• 19 JackButler // Jul 29, 2013 at 9:52 AM

• 20 Whumpie // Jul 29, 2013 at 9:52 AM

I strongly suspect Cabs has come through a tough time last year with depression and hopefully has it under control now. brilliant influence when on song. Good and bad comparisons with Gary Speed…
    I think he’ll have a great season for us.

• 21 welshgeordie9 // Jul 29, 2013 at 9:53 AM

I feel sorry for our team that we have right now because we have got some good players. We only need another couple just to make it that little bit stronger. I take it Ashley doesn’t want to learn from last season.

This transfer window is really getting on my nerves.

• 22 Rainrix // Jul 29, 2013 at 9:54 AM

Is it just me or does that block he’s tackling look a lot like santon?

• 23 toonarmydownsouth // Jul 29, 2013 at 9:54 AM

Lee Ryder ?@lee_ryder now

The emphasis is firmly on director of football Joe Kinnear to deliver the deals he insisted he could #nufc

One of the things Ryder has actually got right

JFK is not up to this job and has absolutely no business being the director of football at this club

JFK your are absolutely useless
    And Mike Ashley you simply a fcuk nugget please sell up, just sell up, fcuk off and never ever come back

• 24 Toon Avenger // Jul 29, 2013 at 9:54 AM

There are people on here blaming Kinnear and some even supporting the regime and it’s decision to pull out of this Gomis deal but you can’t really do either.

This isn’t the first time we’ve bidded for a player in the last year of his contract and offered a lot less than his asking price only to then pull out of a deal because the other club won’t budge.

This is an indication that our transfer policy is absolute bull shit. Either we know that the other club will refuse and so we leak to the press our intentions, but know we won’t get anywhere to delude the fans into thinking we are trying, or, we bid for these players and fully expect the other club to lower the price to our level because they are stupid enough to avoid that we are a desperate club desperate for a striker.

This club is a joke. Gomis is a £12-15 million player if he didn’t have a contract issue and we can get him for a little over £8 million, I think it should be done by now if we had true intention.

We wont offer more than 8 million euros and Lyon won’t accept any less than 10 million euros, an orchestrated stalemate if ever I’ve seen one.

• 25 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 29, 2013 at 9:55 AM

JT,
    You could be right, I think it would be better if people were able to vote on candidates, although that would probably have to be done through club membership, or season ticket holders which could be seen as a way of prising money from people to join those things. Not sure how you could do it any other way.

• 26 toonarmydownsouth // Jul 29, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Lilo
    The club will seriously regret setting up a fan forum if they don’t get there act together this window

• 27 Toon-Prodigy // Jul 29, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Jack,

I can’t believe that just 8 weeks ago I had faith that we were going to be signing two forwards and one of them was going to be 10-15 mil striker to replace Ba. Wow.

Just shows you.

I never expected this following 8 weeks at all.

JK brought in then silence for the remainder.

Everything seemed to be mint 8 weeks ago, we had are targets, couldn’t wait for the window to open so we could show we had learnt from the mistakes like last summer.

• 28 richyg01 // Jul 29, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Great to actually hear from the man himself.

Never fills you with confidence when someone speaks on the players behalf, like Hardpoo did last week.

• 29 lesh // Jul 29, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Repost from previous thread with the focus on what’s wrong with this blog in some eyes:

Markaccus @31…..

I’m not saying that £10m is a fair price. What I’m saying is that that £2m represents some three league placings at at least £800k a spot. Get the £2m in perspective.

And, I’m not certain what you mean when in the sane post, you say my comment represents what’s wrong with this blog.

Perhaps you could elucidate so we can all understand your requirements that make an ideal post?

• 30 Toon-Prodigy // Jul 29, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Avenger,

I agree.

• 31 yo-yo // Jul 29, 2013 at 9:59 AM

In amongst the gloom of totally shite DOF and no signings, the style of play AP is pushing the players to adopt IS clearly changing when Cabs says

About time too imo – now all they have to do is follow that direction from AP and we will see a better class of football

• 32 yorkymag // Jul 29, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Avenger
    No way is gomis 12 to 15 million
    He is an average centre forward not proven and naive to the premier league
    Bent offers better value
    The key is getting remy now he is 12 o 15 million

• 33 mattyNUFC // Jul 29, 2013 at 10:00 AM

toon avenger

gomis is hardly a 15mil player

i feel like a lot of people judge a player on what they want him to be, not what they actually are. he is an average player in an above average team in a below average league

the 6 or 8 million euros they want for him in his final year is absurd. don’t get me wrong though, i’m not supporting MA’s decision to pull out of the deal though based on that, because I know it could be anybody and he’ll back out once this predetermined ceiling is reached.

• 34 JackButler // Jul 29, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Toon-Prodigy

We are penny pinching our way to disaster again.

Without a striker (a proven striker) we will really struggle this season. Cisse could be a 20+ goal a season striker for us but Pardew simply does not know how to play him or get the best out of him.

Any optimism I had has become nothing but fear of where we will end this year and anger at the way we are being run both on and off the field

• 35 colwell // Jul 29, 2013 at 10:02 AM

One or two touches on the ball and then move???

WTF, this is basics of football, what was Pards telling them too do last year?

• 36 toonarmydownsouth // Jul 29, 2013 at 10:02 AM

@GFN_France: For the record, Lyon’s pricetag for Bafetimbi Gomis has been and always was €10m this summer. #OL #NUFC

• 37 Markaccus // Jul 29, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Lesh.

Your post directly implied that anyone thinking that OM wanting more money for gomis was “short sighted”. You should try disagreeing with people without a back handed insult. That is EXACTLY what is wrong with this blog. Now if you think i am short sighted for agreeing with nufc not being held to ransom, then our discussion is over before it starts. Thankyou.

• 38 Toon-Prodigy // Jul 29, 2013 at 10:03 AM

In todays market I’d say Gomis is worth 10-12 mil like Bony.

He scores goals but is far from special.

• 39 JackButler // Jul 29, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Daily Mail reports that Bayern Munich are preparing to
    launch a £40 million offer for Chelsea defender David Luiz

The footballing world has lost all touch with reality if Luiz is worth £40 million

• 40 Toon-Prodigy // Jul 29, 2013 at 10:05 AM

With Gomis having one year left I’d say anywhere inbetween 6.5 – 7.5 mil

• 41 Markaccus // Jul 29, 2013 at 10:05 AM

*anyone thinking that OM wanting more money was taking the p1ss, were being short sighted.

• 42 lesh // Jul 29, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Lilongwe @14.

A more than positive move by the club.

Lilongwe, I’m sure the Forum would reimburse your travel and subsistence allowances should you be nominated and accepted as this Blog’s rep!

• 43 Toon Avenger // Jul 29, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Also everyone it isn’t £10 million, it’s €10 million.

€10 million = £8.6 million.

Anyone who thinks Gomis is not worth £8.63 is just blindly justifying an unwinable standpoint in this inarguable situation.

The club is shortchanging us all and still people follow it religiously enough to not understand the absolute truth, this club is a joke.

• 44 yorkymag // Jul 29, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Avenger
    Make your mind up how much is he worth 8 10 12
    Pick a figure
    Easy when its not your money
    Lets see when the window closes

• 45 nut meg // Jul 29, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Colwell @ 35
    I assume they were told to hoof it cos that’s what they did.

• 46 Klatoon // Jul 29, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Lilongwe, yes I am. You should have come, great place to tour! Tell me, on your travels acoss the continent, have you met many NUFC fans?

• 47 mattyNUFC // Jul 29, 2013 at 10:15 AM

before you jump on me, I’m not saying we can attract world class players because we can’t….our one chance left last summer to do so….but the calibre of player we’ve been after for quite some time is worrying.

Erik Pieters, Gomis, Bent, Amalfitano, Douglas. What happened to this recruitment drive searching out young and hungry players? has it been abandoned? was it ever even in place?

it’s just such a sad state of affairs. I’ve been off this site and most for six months or so and things have only gotten worse. I’m over griping about what a p!ss poor manager pardew is, what an insolent, spineless coward he is. I no longer have the energy to attempt to fathom JFK and his appointment and our owners disrespectful behaviour lacking any inkling of ambition.

we have the best players we’ve had in a decade. and for some reason they can’t even pass the ball to one other.

I want a new manager but then what? We get in a Laudrup or whathaveyou, the next cause of discontent will be our egregiously distant and unambitious owner. this is just cyclical, and I’m sick of it.

we don’t have to spend the world to play good football. I don’t even care if we win anything. of course i want us to. but at least entertain us ffs. the past two and a half years have simply been theatre in one man’s sad attempt at occupational preservation. from his team selections to his post match interviews and everything else he has done, it’s always been about him, pardew, no matter how much he attempts to convey to us, the fans, that it is for the club. ashley could care less about us, and pardew couldn’t care more about himself than anything else.

• 48 Toon-Prodigy // Jul 29, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Avenger,

That was my point on the last page, to back out over 1.5 mil is poor performance. Just meet them half way and walk away with the player.

I agree.

• 49 Scouse_geordie // Jul 29, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Toon avenger

I think the club is trying to impose this image of not bending to selling clubs demands so that in future transactions the club doesn’t get held to ransom.

Now I’m not saying I agree with the policy as a general rule as I think each deal we do is different, but with regards this gomis deal o think the club are right. Any player in their last year is always cheaper, and lyon are pushing their luck thinking they can hold out for more.

And in all fairness we are not privy to all the info anyway, we hear reports of what money is involved but we can’t be certain of the figures. I myself have heard ten million euro and ten million pound.

• 50 Toon-Prodigy // Jul 29, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Jack I agree with you the most part.

We need a proven striker in. I’v said since the end of last season Pardew will want to play two upfront next season, especially with the pressure he is under to hit the ground running. He wouldn’t rely on one up top. We need that extra quality forward in without a doubt.

Gutted at the performance in this window though so far. Beggers belief really. I really think if JK didn’t come in we would of did alot better so far at this point with Carr and Pardews hitlist.

Bringing him in threw a grenade into the works which suggests are original plans were scuppered to me.

Just have to wait it out and hope we at least get these two in.

Not what I wanted or expected but I’ll take it now considering who is left and available. And also being three weeks away from opening day.

• 51 lesh // Jul 29, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Markaccus @37.

I don’t see how you arrived at my reference to short sightedness being an implied insult to fellow posters.

It was clearly directed at the management and vision of the club.

Oh, and for the avoidance of doubt, I share the view of many that the club’s finances should be managed my and that we should not be held to ransom over transfers. But, we must not lose sight of the market and valuations in the context of supply and demand. Couple that with the possible eventual cost of frugality and there it is, the transfer market.

Hope that helps clarification.

previous post: French Reports – Newcastle Withdraw From Gomis Negotiations