The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Achieve Belated Category One Academy Status

10:55 am, Tuesday, July 30th, 2013 by Ed Harrison · 9 Comments

Newcastle failed to reach Category One Status for our Youth Academy last summer when the new rules went into effect, and it was a huge embarrassment for the club, because other local clubs Sunderland and Middlesbrough were granted the status.

joe joyce 987

Joe Joyce – Newcastle Youth Academy manager

The Elite Player Performance Plan as it’s called, was put into place last summer to try to bring through home-grown players and there four major reasons for the new structure:

• Allows clubs to have more coaching time with their youngsters Helps clubs create links with local schools to help young players get the best out of their football and academic education
  • Helps clubs create links with local schools help young players get the best out of their football and academic education
  • Allows clubs in category one to recruit youngsters from further afield than permitted under the former rules
  • Clubs can work with the Football League to help determine compensation for youngsters

Recent clubs who made Category One status are Reading and Leicester and they made a big deal of it on their web-sites, but it looks as though Newcastle have made Category One Status but no announcement from the club.

And maybe that’s because the club were embarrassed that we didn’t make it in the first place, and an announcement will only bring attention to the fact we didn’t make it twelve months ago when Sunderland and Middlesbrough did.

There is going to be just one National U21 National Division next season, the Barclays Under-21 Premier League, rather than the regional divisions that were in place last season, and it’s composed of the 22 Category 1 Academies.

These are the club with that status:

Arsenal, Aston Villa, Blackburn Rovers, Bolton Wanderers, Chelsea, Everton, Fulham, Leicester City, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United, Middlesbrough, Newcastle United, Norwich City, Reading, Southampton, Stoke City, Sunderland, Tottenham Hotspur, West Bromwich Albion, West Ham United and Wolverhampton Wanderers.

And the league fixtures have just been announced for next season,  and Newcastle play Reading at the Madejski Stadium on 12th August, and it’s a 7:00 pm lick off.

This information is taken directly from the official Premier League site, so there’s no doubt we are now a Category One Academy – it’s just that we didn’t bother to announce it – so at the very least the Premier League thinks Newcastle are now a Category One Club. :D

But in any case, last summer we said Newcastle would be working very hard to correct what was a huge embarrassment, and it looks like the club have done just that.

It’s been a good reaction from Newcastle United, and the club should really announce the news – even if it’s just a one liner that keeps it low key.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Newcastle Academy · Newcastle News · Newcastle U21 · Newcastle Youth · Other News

9 responses so far ↓

• 1 Tommyy // Jul 30, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Morning chaps, any news worth talking about?

• 2 mattyNUFC // Jul 30, 2013 at 10:58 AM

wish we still had richard money here. now there was a great youth coach

• 3 Vask // Jul 30, 2013 at 11:03 AM

I thought this was achieved weeks ago.

Have we signed anyone yet?

• 4 Indian Magpie // Jul 30, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Ed I did an article on this about 2 weeks ago now.

• 5 always look on the bright side of life // Jul 30, 2013 at 11:07 AM

I am not claiming to be any type of ITK before anyone decides to complain but I do know that Charles N’Zogbia however unlikely has expressed he would come back to us. I am friends with people who he used to hanf about with including his brother. I am not saying he is coming back and obv he has a dodgy attitutde and with the Kinnear thing its probably a no go anyway but I believe he is still represented by McKay, it would be a relatively cheap deal and would provide a decent pacy alternative with good crossing abilitiy and we could do a lot worse.
    I have overall become fed up with the rumours though and going around in circles. Niang the latest weve been associated with will never happen and especially not at the prices touted about, it just seems that its another example oh well we tried but couldnt get it over the line. I dont think Gomis will end up here, I dont really want Bent here and with Remys issues I think only a loan would do but then would he really want to be here given the fact he didnt in January and also if QPR get back up then he would be away at the end of the season anyway. Campbell has potential but thats all it is at the moment, Shola too injury prone, Cisse needs a partner with pace i feel and Gouff isnt prolific enough.
    I would have no issue with Shane Long who I like as a player and wouldnt cost the earth, even though Charlie Austin failed a medical I would still take a chance on him as well as its cheap.
    Its the rumours I dislike because they all just contradict each other/I dont believe Kinnear really knows whats going on half the time and Pardew is just put a front on while I believe its driving him insane but he wont walk away from his contract. I would look at a few players from Wigan as they were technically good, I also like the look of Le Fondre. All this talk of Bardsley is strange and I think just a stupid rumour but it wouldnt suprise me if Kinnear sees him as a Perch type replacement either.

• 6 AndyNUFC // Jul 30, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Ed I absolutely love your site and determination to constantly update with new articles – but you’ve had a right Sir Bobby Robson moment when describing the kids first game – “and it’s a 7:00 pm lick off”.

• 7 runheed // Jul 30, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Watching the youth team is probably more interesting and satisfying than the first team. Bring back proper football.
    If NUFC has no geordies playing in it and has no geordies running it, and is full of grotesquely wealthy young lads, what precisely links it with us…. I guess the ground is still in newcastle and the black and white is still the strip… I just can’t identify with any of the unutterable shite that passes for premier league football these days.

• 8 TurkishFan101 // Jul 30, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Morning lads, we have approached to take Niang from AC Milan on loan with a view to purchase Of around €6million. However it has Bern put on hold untill their Champions League play offs as Robinho is already injured and they need Niang as backup in-case anyone else gets injured. So 1 experienced striker remy/gomis/bent and a young prospect that can challenge as well!

• 9 TurkishFan101 // Jul 30, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Bern=Been* Excuse my spelling and punctuation

previous post: It’s Do-Or-Die For This Newcastle Player This Summer