The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Move In For Striker Target Of Two Years Ago

10:22 am, Wednesday, July 31st, 2013 by Ed Harrison · 93 Comments

News in the Mirror today that Newcastle have become interested again in Rennes striker Mevlut Erdinc, who we were after in the summer of 2-11, after we couldn’t get Kevin Gameiro of Lorient through the door.

Mevlut Erding rennes

Mevlut Erdinc – former target now at Rennes

At that time Edinc was at Paris Saint-Germaine, but in January of last year, after PSG had brought in some big striker names like Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Kevin Gameiro,  the player who is a  French citizen moved to Rennes, on a contract that lasts through the summer of 2015.

Erdinc has played for both the Turkey and French Youth sides, and he has 21 full caps for Turkey with three goals.

But this sounds a bit like a panic move by the club, and we hope that Graham Carr, the Chief Scout, has watched him recently at Rennes to check out his recent form, and he appeared 41 times last seoasn with 15 goals for Rennes.

Our move for him in the summer of 2011 was another long drawn out affair, and we were so close to signing him many times, but guess what stopped us – yes – we  couldn’t match the fee that PSG wanted for him.

Here’s one of many articles we had out on the saga, and it was a sage which was not unlike our pursuit of Mathieu Debuchy of Lille last summer.

Erdinc is still fairly young at 26eplave Demba Bam which we still haven;t done.,  and joined PSG from Sochaux in 2009, and while at PSG he appeared 107 times with 30 goals, and while at Sochaux for four seasons previous to that, he played 84 times with 25 goals.

And maybe we shouldn’t be that surprised at this news, since we were also linked with an interest in Erdinc in January, in Newcastle’s attempt to replace the departed Demba Ba.

Swansea City and Stoke City are also said to be interested in the Turkish International, who was born in France but is of Turkish decent.

Erdinc has 224 total career appearances with 62 goals so far, and he is a right footed player who stands 5’11″ tall, and would cost around £5M.

We should be able to afford that.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

93 responses so far ↓

• 1 Ben3arfa // Jul 31, 2013 at 10:23 AM

The Turkish Cisse

I still like Erdinc though

• 2 SuperShearer // Jul 31, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Smells like press just digging out old rumours to me. If he’s cheaper than Bent on less wages though this would make a lot of sense.

• 3 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 31, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Toon Avenger

I get it. You’re one of those people who label anyone who doesn’t think like you and your inner circle as “not a true fan”. That’s a bit like labelling someone as “not really British” because they are a Muslim or English isn’t their first language…

Who the hell are you to decide who is a true fan and who isn’t???

• 4 Belfast // Jul 31, 2013 at 10:27 AM

We just seem to have a list of targets, and we revisit these targets every window.

• 5 Tinman // Jul 31, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Not good enough

• 6 pawl250 // Jul 31, 2013 at 10:27 AM

TDS You are wasting your breathe!

Far too many bloggers on here that play FM and think we can spend 50m a season with no consequence.

You simply state facts when commenting about the financial structure of the club, yet you get replies from the likes of Toon Avenger stating you are a mug.

These fans live in cuckoo land if they think our club could ever mount a challenge for the PL without some serious investment.

Think, if we spend 30m on 3 players this season, we have the ability to challenge for 7th, maybe 6th if we are fortunate with other clubs results.

YET Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea those that already tower above the remainder of the PL in terms of quality of squad and depth, they then spend 100m and extend that gap.

We cannot and will not compete with them, nor will Liverpool or Spurs. Even Arsenal are lacking now.

The PL is a different game to what it was 6-7 years ago, the standard is higher, but its all about money.

We are a mid table side, that should look to eventually compete for CL spaces, but even then fans will always want more, and expect to win the PL.

It does not work like that. If you are realistic you would know to even get in the CL its a MASSIVE ask, a one that would require serious backing.

UNLESS you are somewhat lucky like we could have been the year we finished 5th. You may get 1 or 2 of them in 10 years in the PL.

If people want to argue then fine, I have no quarrel but I am realist and right now I know its not so simple to simply compete instantly.

I would also like to point out if you had millions of pounds would you simply waste it on a bunch of egos?

The blog is so contradictory, I bet if half the bloggers here won the lottery they would keep the money to themselves and waste it on fancy cars and houses etc. Yet would criticize MA for doing the same if he chooses?

Obviously owning a football club is an expensive hobby, but people thinking we are massive club, just cannot accept the truth about my beloved Newcastle, WE HAVE WON NOTHING IN MY LIFETIME!!

What is so massive about that?

Simply put, nothing!

Oh and for those that say a club is as big as its fanbase….

German leagues fanbase is bigger, yet the clubs are not “bigger” because of it! FACT!!

They sell out stadiums, we maybe sell out SJP 3-4 times a season these days. On average we get about 45k a week?

Yet Arsenal sell out the Emirates and have a season ticket waiting list in the thousands……

How can you compete with that?

Also before people argue “Newcastle fans do not go to the games now because of MA”

Its hilarious to think that you are the hypocrites that say you truly “SUPPORT” the team yet you offer no support! LOL

• 7 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 31, 2013 at 10:28 AM

pawl, Joe Blog and the rest of you who know who you are…

Go away, stop posting, you’re not allowed on this blog any more. You are not TRUE FANS! Toon Avenger has spoken and his word is law…

• 8 Jail for Ashley // Jul 31, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Excuse me,
    I just crashed out reading one of pawls posts .yaaaaawwwn.

• 9 numba9 // Jul 31, 2013 at 10:30 AM

R.i.p sir bobby Robson 4 years on I wonder what the great man would make of what has happened since he left us looking down now on the cathedral on the hill

• 10 Luque // Jul 31, 2013 at 10:31 AM

pawllllllllllllll drawllllllllllllllllllll

• 11 toonarmydownsouth // Jul 31, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Toonarmydownsouth
    8 mins ago
    Oh joy the MA debate again

The blokes a w@nker, he’s tearing the soul out of this club, breaking up the once famous atmosphere at the hallowed SJP
    And worst of all is showing absolutely zero ambition to push this club forward on or off the pitch
    He has about as much interest in seeing the club competing at the highest levels as I do in hearing another accounting report ffs

As for sacking sir bobby
    Absolutely disgraceful no question

But at least they have us 5 wonderful years where bobby and his boys were the pride of the north, they wanted newcastle united where it belongs, at the very top

TDS
    Unfortunately when your argument falls down when you yourself have accused people of not being true fans and telling them what there expectations should be

You have as much right to preach that to people as Avenger

• 12 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 31, 2013 at 10:32 AM

TADS

They didn’t give us 5 wonderful years, Sir Bobby Robson did! Face it, they didn’t hire SBR because of their wonderful ambition for the club. He could have gone to any club in the world with his record but he came to us because he’s a Geordie. We didn’t even deserve him but he came because he’s black and white.

I’m not going to give any credit at all for our successes in that period to Hall or Shepherd. It all goes to SBR IMO.

• 13 Toon Avenger // Jul 31, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Seriously the Internet has given rise to part time fans thinking they’re true supporters. I bet hardly any of you supporting Ashley have ever been to Newcastle to watch a game.

You offer this club nothing and your views would be laughed out of st James park so keep to this little forum to express your beliefs because its the only place where you can find like minded idiots who know nothing of the beautiful game.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and thanks to the Internet even simple minded goons get to have a say but it doesn’t mean that because you have an opinion and some manipulated facts to back you up you are right.

You are and will always be what’s is wrong with this club and every other club for that matter. Part time followers, Internet fiends and unintelligent bloggers who pretend (and sometimes genuinely believe) they are cleverer than everyone else.

• 14 RonVanDam // Jul 31, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Has anyone of you run a business? Looks like most of our supporters want the club to be bought by a Sheik. If you keep using your own money to buy players then that tells you the club is making a loss. MA runs it like a business because at the end of the day it is a business otherwise who will pay for the electricity, water, players wages, the cleaner etc.

The club has invested we’ll, we are one of the few clubs that has under heated grounds. Some of the players we’ve bought are in the last 3 years are worth 3 to 5 times more than what we paid for them.

If the club needs to sell a fan favourite in order to meet its financial goals then it will. Each player is like a gear in the system, once it rattles or gets old, its taken out and replaced and the machine keeps on going. We are going through the same rebuilding phase that Spurs went through early 2000

• 15 Luque // Jul 31, 2013 at 10:33 AM

• 16 pawl250 // Jul 31, 2013 at 10:34 AM

TDS –

Its true!!! They all think because we are realists and understand the situation we do not support the club.

Yet they moan and threaten to not support the club!

Like I said contradicting.

JFA

Really? You have not changed that tune? LOL you are like an annoying song on repeat.

• 17 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 31, 2013 at 10:35 AM

TADS

I’m not sure if I’ve ever used the term “true fan”, but I have admonished people for being constantly negative about the club and not getting behind it.

Anyone turning up to matches with banners demanding the exit of Pardew or Ashley isn’t supporting the club IMO, they’re just supporting their own agenda of hatred.

Now…if people had wanted to organise a protest against Wonga like Bolton did, then that’s a different matter. But the “true fans” were too chicken sh*t to do anything about that weren’t they. They prefer to hide on this blog and bitch about it like gossipy old women. Cowards.

• 18 Toon Avenger // Jul 31, 2013 at 10:36 AM

The definition of a true fan in my eyes who will support the club no matter what and will always strive to make it better than it already is.

It isn’t blindly following a morally corrupt owner, it isn’t supporting a terrible manager and it certainly isn’t sitting idly by as a club is destroyed from the inside.

• 19 Jail for Ashley // Jul 31, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Pawl,
    You are like the whole annoying extended album on repeat stuck in a lift.

• 20 toonarmydownsouth // Jul 31, 2013 at 10:37 AM

TDS
    If that’s your view then it completely contradicts your opinion on Ashley
    Complete double standard

SBR was a fantastic manager who was allowed to build the squad he wanted

Pardew is an average manager who’d be lucky if MA let him build a toy car out of Lego let alone the squad he wants

• 21 Toon Avenger // Jul 31, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Pawl

How old are you? Where are you from? How many matches have you been to?

Same to Joe blog and Down Sarf.

• 22 mattyNUFC // Jul 31, 2013 at 10:38 AM

toondarnsarf, richy

comparing MA to past owners holds little relevance, especially when you are using it to justify his actions (or non action)

it’s like citing Stalin’s nefarious doings as all the more reason to not only justify but support Gorbachev’s. it’s just stupid, is what it is

• 23 hotdog // Jul 31, 2013 at 10:38 AM

You have got to laugh, we were telling Joe Kinnear to shut his gob and now we cant wait for him to open it with a couple of signings :-)

I think we will always have a split on Ashley like any regime. You cant lose sight that he wants that debt paid off and the club to be self sufficient. How he achieves this and how quickly is the balancing act.

• 24 toonarmydownsouth // Jul 31, 2013 at 10:39 AM

TDS
    Once again your stating YOUR opinion on a true fan
    Double standards

• 25 pawl250 // Jul 31, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Toon Avenger

“You offer this club nothing”

LMAO You basically described yourself then said the above!

I am from the North East, I live in South Shields and I was a season ticket holder for a long time. My job and girlfriends (currently lives in Northampton) however pulls me away MOST games, and when I get any chance I go and support them!

YET, when I used to live in Northampton for a small period I made treks up North to SUPPORT the team. So dont give me that drivel mate!

You are a little streamer, contribute ZERO, then say you SUPPORT the team and then compare others to yourself and say they dont?!

CONTRADICTION! And it is you that is wrong with this club! Expecting MA to spend all of your money….. oh wait thats right you contribute zero to the club so why should you have any say?!!

• 26 mattyNUFC // Jul 31, 2013 at 10:40 AM

toon avenger

please don’t play the provincially-motivated ‘true fan’ card

it’s f****** retarded

• 27 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 31, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Toon Avenger

You know…I started to write a response to tell you what matches I’ve been to, but then I stopped as I have no reason or desire to justify myself to a bigoted, small-minded idiot such as yourself.

I refuse to read any more of your posts and won’t be responding either. Have fun wallowing in your pit.

• 28 Tinman // Jul 31, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Fooking hell. Nothing has changed here over the last few days. If anything its got worse…
    Adios.

• 29 Toon Avenger // Jul 31, 2013 at 10:43 AM

To be honest I can see why so many great posters left this blog. It’s turned into a breeding ground for idiots and trolls,

Dr. Ed Harrison I think the time is now to update your blog to include personal profiles of each poster that we can click onto, report spam button, like/dislike comment and a place for us to post our own threads because there is to much rubbish we have to look at and you’re losing decent posters by the day.

I was recommended this blog due to its great reputation and now it’s seen as a but of a joke due to the crazies taking over the asylum without any attempt to stop it.

• 30 RonVanDam // Jul 31, 2013 at 10:43 AM

@ 15 Luque

LOL nice spotting

• 31 pawl250 // Jul 31, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Also I went to any Southern away matches…..

I know support mate, I have been to the games and felt the passion.

I go to EL games last season, I was screaming and willing the team to get up the pitch against Benfica….. where were you?! Streaming or watching on TV calling yourself a supporter?! LOL

I have been to more games than you I was a season ticket holder for over 10 years!! Never missed a home game whether it be against Coventry in a cup match or Man Utd! and when my girlfriend moves up North in the next year, I will either

1. Buy half a season ticket in December, or if she is not up by then

2. By a full season ticket next year!

I will probably be at the first home game this season too…. DESPITE it being on TV sunshine! call yourself a supporter!

• 32 Toon-Prodigy // Jul 31, 2013 at 10:44 AM

I dont think anyone wants us to shell out 50 million nor do they believe it will ever happen Pawl.

I think the question that’s on peoples minds, certaintly mine, is that do we need to operate this way now we have paid the debts off and have money to spend.

The structure that was set-up 5-6 years ago was so we could have the club running self sufficiently. That’s done now as far as I can tell.

Could we possibly be more ambitious with our income now?

I believe we could be now we are debt free and have the extra TV revenue. It does look at present though we are sticking to the same transfer policy, buy from abroad, cheaper wages. Skimping on 1-2 mill here and there.

Playing hardball for the sake of playing hardball.

That is not going to get us anywhere fast.

All I want is the club to show some ambition, the best ambition they can in regards to our income.

I really don’t think this is the case.

Bedtime for me. Have a pleasant day lads.

• 33 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Jul 31, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Toon avenger
    don’t insult my intelligence I got two season tickets go to every home game with my son if could afford to travel I would and
    I support Ashley and what he has done (some of his appointments are strange and pisses me off with Wonga and summer transfer windows) but if we kept going the way Shepherd was running the club we would be bankrupt.

Find below what the Halls and Shepherds took out the club – That’s NO way I want this club run again.

From big spenders to big earners

Since Newcastle United were floated on the Stock Exchange in April 1997 the Hall family and Freddy Shepherd have earned from the club as follows:

Sales of shares by Cameron Hall, Sir John and Douglas Hall’s company:

December 1998 Sold 6.3% to NTL: £10m

December 1999 Sold 3.26% to NTL: £5.28m

December 1999 Douglas Hall sold 0.39% to NTL: £0.57m

June 2003 Sold 11.4% to Newcastle United itself: £4.5m

Total earned by Hall family in sales of Newcastle United shares £20.35m

Sales of shares by Freddy Shepherd Nil

Shepherd and his brother, Bruce, have increased their shareholding, via their company, Shepherd Offshore, from 7% at the time of flotation to 28% now

Dividends paid by Newcastle United plc to shareholders 1998-2005

2005 £495,951 £552,954

Total £2,415,873 £2,862,059

Totals made from Newcastle United 1999 to 2005

Sir John, Douglas and Cameron Hall: £36,466,153

Freddy Shepherd and Shepherd Offshore: £ 8,351,298

Total £44,817,451

Figures compiled with assistance of Ian Ferguson from http://www.nufc-finances.org.uk

Totals made from Newcastle United in a 6 year period

Sir John, Douglas and Cameron Hall: £36,466,153

Freddy Shepherd and Shepherd Offshore: £ 8,351,298

Total £44,817,451
    That equals over &7 million per year

AND

In summary what Shepherd left was a club that was losing over £30m a year, had debts of £70m, had no assets they could borrow more money against, and had a set of players on long, lucrative contracts. Ashley can get rid of the debt but the £30m annual losses with over paid players will take longer to sort out.

READ?THE?FACTS at http://www.nufc-finances.org.uk
    and come on with something constructive!!!!!

• 34 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 31, 2013 at 10:44 AM

TADS

How does it contradict my view on Ashley???

Ashley has stabilised the business side of things and has made some pretty significant changes behind the scenes that will set this club up for the future.

I don’t give him credit for 5th place, that was down to Pardew and especially the excellent form of some key players.

Like I said SBR was too good for us, there’s no way he would have come to us if it wasn’t for him being local. Pardeww is a good PL manager. Sure, I’d love it if we had a more successful manager but unless a sheikh comes in with oodles of cash or we’re at least on the fringe of the CL, then we’ve got about the right level of manager for where we are.

• 35 Markaccus // Jul 31, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Oh cruel irony. How it mocks us!

• 36 mattyNUFC // Jul 31, 2013 at 10:44 AM

I’ve only been to two matches

Am I not a true fan?

I guaruntee I spent more money getting to those two matches than most of you have paid getting to all of yours……does that make me a better fan then?

please get back to talking about the club, not an internet dick swinging contest. you all sound more moronic the longer this goes, which in turn makes me wonder why i’m spending so much time with a bunch of f****** idiots.

• 37 Toon Avenger // Jul 31, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Pawl

Erm… Speak English please.

You’ve riddled yourself into confusion.

Trying to be fancy and intelligent has led you down the road to mindless babble.

• 38 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 31, 2013 at 10:46 AM

TADS

Stating my opinions on a “true fan” would be different to telling people that they aren’t a “true fan”! Besides, I didn’t define a “true fan”, I was ridiculing those people who claim they are one when all they do is whinge and bitch on an online forum.

If the “true fans” hated Wonga so much then why didn’t they chase them our like Bolton managed to do?

• 39 magpie6699 // Jul 31, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Let me put my point of view.
    First of all, I have had a season ticket for 40+years except for 3 years when I was working in the deep South (Leeds), I was born and raised in Benwell then Gosforth, so I think I can claim not to be a part-time internet supporter.
    I struggle with the opinion of those fans who claim that the club / life now is a total disaster and worse than it’s ever been – try supporting this club in the old Division 2 when we were nearly relegated to 3rd division and when we had some REAL dross playing for us. As for this bad regime – anyone remember “Westwood out”?
    Could we have done a Leeds or Portsmouth? Certainly.
    Do I agree with everything we do – no. I don’t get the JFK appointment, and whilst I do understand the need for thrift, I don’t get the brinkmanship over 1 or 2 million pounds in bids – that’s IF anything we read is true.
    But give me a break with the “Ashley out”, Pardew out”, and constant doom and gloom – it’s SO tedious, repetitive and bnoring!

• 40 pawl250 // Jul 31, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Toon Avenger!?

SORRY?! You asked me a question and responded, and you do not like the answer!

Try this I HAVE BEEN TO MORE GAMES THAN YOU MATE!

EVEN IF I STOP GOING TO GAMES AS OF TODAY I WOULD HAVE BEEN TO MORE GAMES THAN YOU IN THE REMAINDER OF YOUR LIFE!

Simple and easy….. and plain English …

Trying to dis acknowledge posts that you do not like….. simply because you are not a SUPPORTER as you contribute no money to the club… you are a follower and therefore your opinion is not as valid as mine …. someone who actually spends money SUPPORTING the club.

I get to demand to know where my money has gone, I get to demand new players if I choose……

You simply moan and contributed nothing in the process.

• 41 Joe Blog // Jul 31, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Toon Avenger

You really do have zero self-awareness…… it’s startling and rather comical.

• 42 JaxtheMag // Jul 31, 2013 at 10:48 AM

only remy is class out of the players we are linked with, we will opt for the cheapest. we will struggle.

• 43 Toon Avenger // Jul 31, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Matty

You want to chill out kid.

Going to the games doesn’t make you a fan but investment does (whether that’s financial, emotional and physical investment).

It doesn’t matter if you’ve been to 2 or 200 games (or in Pawl’s case 20000000000000 games) its the connection you have and the will and want to do the best thing for the club.

Some of these are armchair fans who have no true love for the club other than an artificial feeling born out inadequacies in their lives.

I am not here to say what you interpret as a true fan is wrong, only to say that in my opinion these people are not.

• 44 mattyNUFC // Jul 31, 2013 at 10:51 AM

oh, and ED,

you’ve rewritten history. Erding did not want to join us, on either occasion.

would MUCH rather have erding here than gomis though

• 45 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 31, 2013 at 10:52 AM

And if I can’t compare our current owner to our previous owners to get some perspective, then are you saying we can’t compare our current managers or players to previous ones either?

It is my opinion that MA is a better owner than the previous lot for the following reasons:
    – he doesn’t pay himself a salary
    – he doesn’t hire family members on 6 figure salaries
    – he provided an interest free loan (rather than 11%)
    – he doesn’t authorise buying £17M past it strikers on the basis of future ticket sales
    – he has structured the club, and especially its finances, to compete in the modern PL

IMO his biggest mistake was hiring KK when pandering to the fans, then trying to fix it with hiring DW. JFK was a weird one but he was only supposed to be a caretaker, then stuck around a bit longer when he was doing ok. JFK again is a weird one but I’d have no problem with him doing that role if he hadn’t opened his big stupid mouth. Wonga…well, I hate the company, but we needed a big paying sponsor.

• 46 pawl250 // Jul 31, 2013 at 10:53 AM

“I’m not from the region but I understand it as I have supported the club from birth and have felt the passion, belief, joy, despair and hope first hand, whilst most of you stream the matches to your computers and call yourselves fans.”

How many games have you been to Avenger?!

How much money have you spent to SUPPORT the club, not simply follow it?!

Think its obvious it would be near zero!! Typical follower , and its fans like you the club doesn’t need because if it lost its actual supporters, those that spend money to games it would not exist MATE!

• 47 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 31, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Toon Avenger is a mackem troll…

• 48 Toon Avenger // Jul 31, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Pawl

The fact that you are so sure you’ve been to more games than me is actually very very funny.

I don’t need to embarrass you on the blog for me to bathe in my own personal victory so I shall take this feeling and enjoy it in the privacy I’m afforded at home.

Whilst you’re at it why not claim in capital letters how you’re taller than me or have more money without having any proof to back it up?!

• 49 toon kk // Jul 31, 2013 at 10:54 AM

I don’t think anyone is asking MA to spend silly money but if a club like Newcastle cant spend upto 10 to 15 mill when its vital to keep moving the club forward, its called penny pinching.
    I’m forever getting emails trying to get me to buy gear off the fat man. He knows the fans want signings but he won’t spend, so why should I?
    MA is gambling with our future, it just takes a few injuries and we could be in a dog fight at the wrong end of the table again. Our squad needs strengthening!

• 50 mattyNUFC // Jul 31, 2013 at 10:55 AM

toon avenger

me? chill out?

go re-read some of your posts.

• 51 cyprus // Jul 31, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Message from Ed:

From now on, only true real NUFC fans may post on this blog.

A true fan:
    1. Doesn’t criticize the team.
    2. Has been to many games.
    3. Is very intelligent.
    If you don’t qualify, please just read :)

(Well, that’s me out, bye for now)

• 52 IITianToon // Jul 31, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Anybody found highlights of yesterday’s game? Want to see our pass and move game :D

• 53 toonarmydownsouth // Jul 31, 2013 at 10:59 AM

TDS
    Once again I’m not getting drawn in to yours and avengers squabble over who is or who is not a true fan because frankly it’s pathetic and you’ve now drawn yourself in to those who go to the games
    If they take banners so what? There voicing there opinions no reason to call them cowards

We all know your opinion on Ashley and the club
    You know others
    So why go over the same ground every day?
    It’s become tedious and boring

Both sides take it too extremes
    You yourself seem to think a body that wants the club to show ambition and strengthen automatically wants fortunes spent which is not the case and certainly doesn’t mean they only play football manager
    Just as you wanting the club to stay within financial restraints doesn’t make you unambitious

• 54 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 31, 2013 at 10:59 AM

magpie6699

Excellent post sir. The only thing I will add is that I do get the extra 1 or 2 million thing. I get it because MA’s history is as a really really hard negotiator. He’s been extremely successful at it and he’s not likely to change now. We’ve got several bargains because of it that must have saved enough money to buy an extra player or two. If he changes his ways, then he shows himself to be a soft touch and clubs won’t back down. However, if Lyon are convinced that we would rather walk away than up our (already excellent) offer, then they’re more likely to take the money.

With the previous regime, you just knew that they would continue to up the bid until it got silly:
    – Boumsoung for £8M 6 months after being free
    – Owen for £17M when the only other club interested (Liverpool) would pay around £11M

And so on…

• 55 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jul 31, 2013 at 11:00 AM

JfA…doing our most lucrative
    financial times pre Ashley our
    revenue was not much higher
    than now! And we even had CL
    back then; I cannot see how
    this has anything to do with SD?

…Spurs generate more than
    twice what we do and it wasn’t
    alwats so. What gives I don’t
    know, but it seems we have
    always been bad at this at
    NUFC!

But at the Hall and Shepherd
    era we were very good at
    spending money we didn’t have
    – but it was fun while it lasted,
    not frugal but fun

I would recommend you read
    up on our finances if you are
    interested. The Swiss Ramble
    Blog is very informative

• 56 Big Pappa Cissé // Jul 31, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Tick tock tick tock tick tock .

Anyone else hear that or is it just me ?

• 57 Toon Avenger // Jul 31, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Pawl

Seen as you want to do this then I shall give you your answer.

Been a season ticket holder since I was 11 years old, I am now 32 and have been all over the UK, Europe and the World to support my club.

That doesn’t make me a better fan than you because I have been to more games, what makes me better is the fact that I am actively involved in bringing Ashley’s tyranny to an end through sensible dialogue, effective communication and the true love I have for this club.

Next time you come up I’ll let you come to one of the fan meetings so you can stand and give us your rhetoric on how alike Ashley is good for the club.

Good bye for now.

• 58 richyg01 // Jul 31, 2013 at 11:01 AM

@TinMan

Who do you want Van Persie?

• 59 estechco // Jul 31, 2013 at 11:01 AM

Jeez, tensions are running a little high today?!?

Please let there be a signing soon to relieve some of the pressure on here…and before we scare everyone away!

• 60 Rotonda heights // Jul 31, 2013 at 11:02 AM

TDS

Sorry but when was JFK ever doing ok? 4 wins in 24 or similar !

• 61 AK Malaysia // Jul 31, 2013 at 11:03 AM

hi guys… I’m more of a reader than a writer here… Anyhow, I like Mike Ashley better than Freddy S and his clan… due to many reasons most of them have been listed above… Better 1 season in Championship or became like Leeds or Portsmouth… or worst Wimbledon…That’s where FS was heading to… Plus, I do think we have to start acknowledging that with current owner, we are a mid table PL club.. Unless our popularity shoot up these next few seasons, or us doing that 2011/2012 form… limited fan based won’t get us too far. But being a fan, since 1995.. I would love for the team to show that I’m dead wrong and surely I want Newcastle Utd to be success and fighting for CL spot. But winning a cup competition (League Cup for a start) would be super nice..

• 62 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 31, 2013 at 11:04 AM

TADS

I really think that some people (including you) completely fail to read my posts and instead you read the posts that are directed at me…

Let me make some things clear:
    – yes, I do not agree with fans going to matches demanding Ashley or Pardew out. I don’t think it serves any purpose other than potentially disrupting the team. And things really aren’t that bad! But I didn’t call them cowards.
    – the cowards are the people who have been slating Wonga but didn’t bother to organise a protest when they could have done something about it. Bolton fans managed it, why couldn’t we?
    – I don’t think that anyone who wants money spend want it to be fortunes. I’ve made it clear that I think we should be able to spend £10-15M this summer and I think we will. But I object to this being called a lack of ambition and that we “should be in the top 6 every year”
    – I’ve made it quite clear that I want us to sign a striker and another attacking player and I want us to get 7th place

• 63 low fell mag // Jul 31, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Paw ,thank God you are on this blog .
    Everything you say in words is spot on ,certain people on this site say they are falling asleep reading your posts .
    The are not falling a sleep ,they cannot face the truth ,they only want to believe what they want,.
    Then when they are beat and cannot reply ,they pretend to fall a sleep.
    Just give it a couple of weeks ,they will be in the local boozer watching some snidey Arabic football channel, screaming abuse at the 55 inch plasma.
    F’@CK that Fat cockney Tw@t not giving him me money,then still wanting the Fat cockney to spend 10 million on some center forward, with no contract,and in the same breath complain that the local landlord has put the John Smiths 20 pence a pint !

• 64 toon22 // Jul 31, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Myself i just scan who has posted and just skip the ones that are usually insulting.
    It might be rude but its the same as i would do irl,just ignor those kind of people.

• 65 Markaccus // Jul 31, 2013 at 11:06 AM

I personally do not think anybody has the right to tell anyone whether they can or cant claim to be a fan of nufc. Whether yoh go to every game religioisly of only make the odd one from time to time, whether you buy every shirt released or just one every couple of years if you see one you like. If you enjou watching nufc in any way (tv, streaming or at the ground) and you feel delighted when we win, dissappointed when we draw, and gutted when we lose, then surely you are a fan? If not, then i guess i should follow in silence or find another team to follow, as i have always claimed to be a rugby man first and spend all my spare cash on the falcons. I am quite upset to see that this means i am not allowed to be a fan of nufc, even though i was born and bred up here.

• 66 martoon // Jul 31, 2013 at 11:07 AM

I think you need to get a sense of proportion – this is a world wide blog so obviously a lot of people can’t get to matches including the great Ed himself – is he not a proper supporter? I am a season ticket holder myself but I don’t think less of people who are not in fact I admire long distance supporters. Lets get back to debating football and stop the who is the best supporter contest.

• 67 richyg01 // Jul 31, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Think ToonAvenger (or Jeff) needs to go and stick his head in a bucket of cold water and come back to the real world.

• 68 Joe Blog // Jul 31, 2013 at 11:07 AM

I think Toon Avenger could be used as a clinical study in projection:

Blithering on about how unintelligent others are.

Laying into people with insults – a true mark of intelligence if ever there was one.

Asking how many matches people have been to, where they are from etc, all because he needs this information to profile the people he’s accusing of not been ‘true fans’ – then in his next output, after been confronted by one of the fans, who has decided to humour him and has been going to all home games for years, it suddenly becomes irrelevant how many games you’ve been to.

Telling others to calm down, when he’s the only one ranting and raving.

All this because WE have a sense of inadequacy!

You’re tying yourself in knots, pal.

• 69 Spartak Miserable // Jul 31, 2013 at 11:07 AM

@PAWL250 –

Couldn’t agree more. There are far to many FM players on here who basically talk utter tosh – who need to get a job or a life rather than sit and make up ”dream teams” that will never happen. These people need to wake up and realise we are not able to attract big named players because we are not will to spend, and in the end it is going to cost us our place in this league.

MA thinks he can be tight with his cash, but given a choice of splashing out 20 million on a coulple of decent players and paying them wages that they want or losing 100 million being relegated – everyone would chose the former – except MA.

As for this Erdinc – he is sh*te. Sorry, but a ”striker” who scored 62 times in 224 – nearly 1 in 4 games is not good enough for a striker in the EPL, let alone the French league (before it got rich with PSG and Monaco etc..)

Scraping the barrell for more continental garbage. Same old story, trying to fluke another bargain – if we continue like this I really do fear for our future.

• 70 the holy grail // Jul 31, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Toon avengerYou generalise way to much with absalutly nothing to back it up other than its an opinion that differs from yours. In my eyes we live by our means and that is the rite if the owner who has put in over a quater of a billion to make that decision. He owns the club and sets its vision. For me its our commercial incone that is rediculously low and why we cant match the top clubs. Under fat fred e would have been like leeds, pompy ect way to many to name with the potential for qpr to be added. Way to many peopke judge where we are as a club by how much we spend against what other clubs do. Please understand we are newcastle fans who cant understand why players turn us down because we pkay ibfront of 52000 fans with passio, please look at the german clubs for high attendances and passionate fans, look at toytenham, liverpool, napoli, roma, benfica, porto, dortmund, athletico madrid for recent history, look at city, chelsea, man u, psg, monaco, barca, real, byern russian clubs, some ukranian clubs who pay more money. Never mind who some call smaller clubs who are in the champions league. We look through black and white tinted glasses which is natural but need to realise where we are as a club.The higher fees are paid by clubs who either have an awfull scouting system or clubs who can afford to buy the rwady made star we need to take few risks unearthing gems

• 71 Rotonda heights // Jul 31, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Pawl

….and there you have the answer to why people should boycott. Without you Ash and the club couldn’t exist.

I like the squad, I like Carr and I like Faye Downey but Ash will always make rubbish management appointments, ie ”jobs for the boys” for the next 7 tears!!
    (ooh freudian slip I think I’ll leave it in there)

• 72 pawl250 // Jul 31, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Toon Avenger

OK mate we believe you!

• 73 richyg01 // Jul 31, 2013 at 11:09 AM

How old fashioned and pointless is a boycott?

You can’t drive Ashley out.

• 74 Joe Blog // Jul 31, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Oh and claiming he’s going to ‘bathe in his own personal victory’, over an exchange on the internet…… erm….. yeah, that resonates more than anything else he has said.

• 75 nut meg // Jul 31, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Magpie 6699 @ 39
    I remember,only too bloody well. Westwood is a pirate etc etc,they were Not good times, before & after every game it looked like war was breaking out at any time,I never want to see our club on the front,back & centre of EVERY newspaper in the country ever again for that kind of reason.TV had them on as the leader story of the news for god knows how long.NEVER AGAIN GENTS PLEASE. Accept the fact that people do have opinions that differ from other peoples. That must be half time just about over ……..lol

• 76 richyg01 // Jul 31, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Did Ed Remove the Barton Post?

• 77 Spellcheck // Jul 31, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Richy he must of,i was just going to that item.

• 78 richyg01 // Jul 31, 2013 at 11:32 AM

I would not be surprised if he just gets sick of the constant bickering and closes the blog again the way things are going lately.

• 79 toonarmydownsouth // Jul 31, 2013 at 11:33 AM

TDS
    I read your posts
    I just don’t agree with many of them and the same accusation could be made of yourself who’s counter argument to me has been many times we can’t just go out and spend £50 million when I’ve asked for no such thing

I never said you didn’t want X Y and Z in fact if you read the post again I stated the opposite

• 80 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 31, 2013 at 11:34 AM

More likely that he realised that by re-publishing comments that were potentially defamatory it could lead to this blog being included in any case against Barton.

• 81 pawl250 // Jul 31, 2013 at 11:34 AM

That Barton interview is a bit sketchy innit?!

Imagine the likes of Krul, Coloccini etc. taking advice from BARTON, SMITH, CARROLL lol The only sensible ones were Nolan and Harper!

I think I smell something, could it be cat sh!t, could it be dog sh!t, NO its bullsh!t.

And him in prison, lets be honest you CAN and perfectly in your means to sack someone for going to prison as a breach of conduct.

You only need to see what he did at Man City and QPR and how quick they pushed him out to see what you get with Barton!

Think he is telling some porkies….. although the reduction contract sounds believable, the likelyhood is they did not choose to sack him as he was an asset to the club, a one that could have been sold.

• 82 Toon73 // Jul 31, 2013 at 11:35 AM

It’s gone

• 83 JackButler // Jul 31, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Reports are coming through that in their desperation Ashley and co have finally decided to break Barnetta out of his hotel room and get him on a get fit quick program

• 84 hadthetshirt // Jul 31, 2013 at 11:43 AM

What on earth is going on with the blog.I know schools out but all this bickering,really is it needed.I logged in to read about our new striker search and get war and peace.well hardly any peace.As for our new striker.The thing that worries me is Bent,and Gomis,are having to train with the youth teams.So if we get either of those how long before their match fit.pardew saying he would be happy to start with squad he has tells me all I need to know.We will panic buy 2september and hope ashley poker playing with the club doesn’t backfire big time.
    be cool,mellow,and lets have more peace.

• 85 Honoured2BNUFC // Jul 31, 2013 at 12:07 PM

I’m from Wales and pure and simple I can’t afford to go to watch a match live-does that make me less of a fan?
    “I’m a bigger fan than you”
    “No way I’m a bigger fan”
    You realise how petty this particular thread is? Re-read it and hang your heads in shame. Now more than ever as Newcastle fans we need to all stick together.

• 86 Korean Magpie // Jul 31, 2013 at 12:36 PM

Now I get it..we will be signing Gomis in 2015

• 87 isleofmanman // Jul 31, 2013 at 1:57 PM

I like this

It will give Joe an opportunity to leave the country and have more meetings

• 88 Zebras4Life // Jul 31, 2013 at 2:29 PM

oh dear God – This guy AGAIN!

• 89 Sarf Lahndan Toon // Jul 31, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Pawl250 at 6. At last, someone who talks some sense and has a modest grip on reality: a rarity for this blog. Mind you, be careful: your attempt at a reasoned argument was over three sentences long. Surprised you haven’t had the “blog-police”, like Ruddy, on to you. Oh, just noticed you have: thank you Luque, for your “drawwwwwllll” contribution. Well done!

Come on, Ed: it must be 3 minutes since we last had one of your lengthy pleas for the two new strikers (whoever they may be, just so long as their Mum’s cousin once played for the French U17s: gotta be great!) we NEED / DESERVE / ARE ENTITLED TO…. because we are NUFC, the club that has only achieved one thing since the Fairs Cup: joke status!

It ain’t the video-game strikers we need: it’s the defence that needs solidifying, esp CB. Some decent players there already, but insufficient speed (of thought, as much as deed) and cover for those inevitable injuries. Even there, would love to see Streete get some bench-time in early part of season.

Sorry, Ruddy: too long, for you?

Matty: please cut out the references to “retarded”: it ain’t big, or clever, to poke fun at the learning -disabled, or any other minority group.

And for those who keep going on about Ranger and that other nice man, Loic Remy, please remember that they have only been charged, NOT convicted of certain crimes.

• 90 toonicle // Jul 31, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Not exactly a prolific scoring record is it?

• 91 EastEndMagpie // Jul 31, 2013 at 4:56 PM

I bet Toon Avenger has never been to a game in his entire life…. and I bet you live round the corner aswell, pathetic little kid.

Wonder if you would walk through West ham, Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham on an away day with 1 or 2 lads if not alone in your Toon shirt…. Easy going to the home games when you live next to the bloody stadium mate, and I still bet you don’t even do that. Pathetic little kid. Wonder how many away days you’ve been to lad? Bet I’ve been to SJP more than you, and i’m 23 and live in London. You got no right to tell anyone weather they are a “true” fan or not. Makes you look pathetic.

• 92 sir_norman // Jul 31, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Pawl, my new hero!

Im not a born n bred geordie, but ive been supporting Newcastle since i was 7, and here i am, 20 years later still supporting my one and only team. Just because im watching the games only on the telly, does that makes me NOT A TRUE SUPPORTER? Not everyone from outside of UK (Im from Malaysia) have the money to watch a game live,not everyone have that kind of money to pay for flight tickets,living expenses etc like some guys here who is trying to put off a so-called INTERNET FAN. Where you from DOES NOT make you a true fan, its the PASSION, LOVE and LOYALTY when the going gets tough makes a TRUE FAN.

• 93 gazzaforever // Jul 31, 2013 at 5:19 PM

I didnt want to comment anymore here, as this blog is now terrible, (especially with toonprodigy and even worse, toonthompson who said yesterday that benny was injured again , what kind of fan is that? ). But I still read Ed ‘s posts though, who is doing a great job, and I wanted to warn you mates about Erving: he is as good as toondownarmysouth’s comment, as useless , and would be another big mistake.

previous post: Newcastle Can Raise Their Wage Bill By £12M This Season