Newcastle Move In For Striker Target Of Two Years Ago

News in the Mirror today that Newcastle have become interested again in Rennes striker Mevlut Erdinc, who we were after in the summer of 2-11, after we couldn’t get Kevin Gameiro of Lorient through the door.

Mevlut Erding rennes

Mevlut Erdinc – former target now at Rennes

At that time Edinc was at Paris Saint-Germaine, but in January of last year, after PSG had brought in some big striker names like Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Kevin Gameiro,  the player who is a  French citizen moved to Rennes, on a contract that lasts through the summer of 2015.

Erdinc has played for both the Turkey and French Youth sides, and he has 21 full caps for Turkey with three goals.

But this sounds a bit like a panic move by the club, and we hope that Graham Carr, the Chief Scout, has watched him recently at Rennes to check out his recent form, and he appeared 41 times last seoasn with 15 goals for Rennes.

Our move for him in the summer of 2011 was another long drawn out affair, and we were so close to signing him many times, but guess what stopped us – yes – we  couldn’t match the fee that PSG wanted for him.

Here’s one of many articles we had out on the saga, and it was a sage which was not unlike our pursuit of Mathieu Debuchy of Lille last summer.

Erdinc is still fairly young at 26eplave Demba Bam which we still haven;t done.,  and joined PSG from Sochaux in 2009, and while at PSG he appeared 107 times with 30 goals, and while at Sochaux for four seasons previous to that, he played 84 times with 25 goals.

And maybe we shouldn’t be that surprised at this news, since we were also linked with an interest in Erdinc in January, in Newcastle’s attempt to replace the departed Demba Ba.

Swansea City and Stoke City are also said to be interested in the Turkish International, who was born in France but is of Turkish decent.

Erdinc has 224 total career appearances with 62 goals so far, and he is a right footed player who stands 5’11” tall, and would cost around £5M.

We should be able to afford that.

What do you think?

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• Ben3arfa

Jul 31, 2013 at 10:23 AM

The Turkish Cisse

I still like Erdinc though

• SuperShearer

Jul 31, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Smells like press just digging out old rumours to me. If he’s cheaper than Bent on less wages though this would make a lot of sense.

• ToonDarnSarf

Jul 31, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Toon Avenger

I get it. You’re one of those people who label anyone who doesn’t think like you and your inner circle as “not a true fan”. That’s a bit like labelling someone as “not really British” because they are a Muslim or English isn’t their first language…

Who the hell are you to decide who is a true fan and who isn’t???

• Belfast

Jul 31, 2013 at 10:27 AM

We just seem to have a list of targets, and we revisit these targets every window.

• Tinman

Jul 31, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Not good enough

• pawl250

Jul 31, 2013 at 10:27 AM

TDS You are wasting your breathe!

Far too many bloggers on here that play FM and think we can spend 50m a season with no consequence.

You simply state facts when commenting about the financial structure of the club, yet you get replies from the likes of Toon Avenger stating you are a mug.

These fans live in cuckoo land if they think our club could ever mount a challenge for the PL without some serious investment.

Think, if we spend 30m on 3 players this season, we have the ability to challenge for 7th, maybe 6th if we are fortunate with other clubs results.

YET Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea those that already tower above the remainder of the PL in terms of quality of squad and depth, they then spend 100m and extend that gap.

We cannot and will not compete with them, nor will Liverpool or Spurs. Even Arsenal are lacking now.

The PL is a different game to what it was 6-7 years ago, the standard is higher, but its all about money.

We are a mid table side, that should look to eventually compete for CL spaces, but even then fans will always want more, and expect to win the PL.

It does not work like that. If you are realistic you would know to even get in the CL its a MASSIVE ask, a one that would require serious backing.

UNLESS you are somewhat lucky like we could have been the year we finished 5th. You may get 1 or 2 of them in 10 years in the PL.

If people want to argue then fine, I have no quarrel but I am realist and right now I know its not so simple to simply compete instantly.

I would also like to point out if you had millions of pounds would you simply waste it on a bunch of egos?

The blog is so contradictory, I bet if half the bloggers here won the lottery they would keep the money to themselves and waste it on fancy cars and houses etc. Yet would criticize MA for doing the same if he chooses?

Obviously owning a football club is an expensive hobby, but people thinking we are massive club, just cannot accept the truth about my beloved Newcastle, WE HAVE WON NOTHING IN MY LIFETIME!!

What is so massive about that?

Simply put, nothing!

Oh and for those that say a club is as big as its fanbase….

German leagues fanbase is bigger, yet the clubs are not “bigger” because of it! FACT!!

They sell out stadiums, we maybe sell out SJP 3-4 times a season these days. On average we get about 45k a week?

Yet Arsenal sell out the Emirates and have a season ticket waiting list in the thousands……

How can you compete with that?

Also before people argue “Newcastle fans do not go to the games now because of MA”

Its hilarious to think that you are the hypocrites that say you truly “SUPPORT” the team yet you offer no support! LOL

• ToonDarnSarf

Jul 31, 2013 at 10:28 AM

pawl, Joe Blog and the rest of you who know who you are…

Go away, stop posting, you’re not allowed on this blog any more. You are not TRUE FANS! Toon Avenger has spoken and his word is law…

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 31, 2013 at 10:29 AM

Excuse me,
    I just crashed out reading one of pawls posts .yaaaaawwwn.

• numba9

Jul 31, 2013 at 10:30 AM

R.i.p sir bobby Robson 4 years on I wonder what the great man would make of what has happened since he left us looking down now on the cathedral on the hill

• Luque

Jul 31, 2013 at 10:31 AM

pawllllllllllllll drawllllllllllllllllllll

• toonarmydownsouth

Jul 31, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Toonarmydownsouth
    8 mins ago
    Oh joy the MA debate again

The blokes a w@nker, he’s tearing the soul out of this club, breaking up the once famous atmosphere at the hallowed SJP
    And worst of all is showing absolutely zero ambition to push this club forward on or off the pitch
    He has about as much interest in seeing the club competing at the highest levels as I do in hearing another accounting report ffs

As for sacking sir bobby
    Absolutely disgraceful no question

But at least they have us 5 wonderful years where bobby and his boys were the pride of the north, they wanted newcastle united where it belongs, at the very top

TDS
    Unfortunately when your argument falls down when you yourself have accused people of not being true fans and telling them what there expectations should be

You have as much right to preach that to people as Avenger

• ToonDarnSarf

Jul 31, 2013 at 10:32 AM

TADS

They didn’t give us 5 wonderful years, Sir Bobby Robson did! Face it, they didn’t hire SBR because of their wonderful ambition for the club. He could have gone to any club in the world with his record but he came to us because he’s a Geordie. We didn’t even deserve him but he came because he’s black and white.

I’m not going to give any credit at all for our successes in that period to Hall or Shepherd. It all goes to SBR IMO.

• Toon Avenger

Jul 31, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Seriously the Internet has given rise to part time fans thinking they’re true supporters. I bet hardly any of you supporting Ashley have ever been to Newcastle to watch a game.

I’m not from the region but I understand it as I have supported the club from birth and have felt the passion, belief, joy, despair and hope first hand, whilst most of you stream the matches to your computers and call yourselves fans.

You offer this club nothing and your views would be laughed out of st James park so keep to this little forum to express your beliefs because its the only place where you can find like minded idiots who know nothing of the beautiful game.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and thanks to the Internet even simple minded goons get to have a say but it doesn’t mean that because you have an opinion and some manipulated facts to back you up you are right.

You are and will always be what’s is wrong with this club and every other club for that matter. Part time followers, Internet fiends and unintelligent bloggers who pretend (and sometimes genuinely believe) they are cleverer than everyone else.

• RonVanDam

Jul 31, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Has anyone of you run a business? Looks like most of our supporters want the club to be bought by a Sheik. If you keep using your own money to buy players then that tells you the club is making a loss. MA runs it like a business because at the end of the day it is a business otherwise who will pay for the electricity, water, players wages, the cleaner etc.

The club has invested we’ll, we are one of the few clubs that has under heated grounds. Some of the players we’ve bought are in the last 3 years are worth 3 to 5 times more than what we paid for them.

If the club needs to sell a fan favourite in order to meet its financial goals then it will. Each player is like a gear in the system, once it rattles or gets old, its taken out and replaced and the machine keeps on going. We are going through the same rebuilding phase that Spurs went through early 2000

• Luque

Jul 31, 2013 at 10:33 AM

• pawl250

Jul 31, 2013 at 10:34 AM

TDS –

Its true!!! They all think because we are realists and understand the situation we do not support the club.

Yet they moan and threaten to not support the club!

Like I said contradicting.

JFA

Really? You have not changed that tune? LOL you are like an annoying song on repeat.

• ToonDarnSarf

Jul 31, 2013 at 10:35 AM

TADS

I’m not sure if I’ve ever used the term “true fan”, but I have admonished people for being constantly negative about the club and not getting behind it.

Anyone turning up to matches with banners demanding the exit of Pardew or Ashley isn’t supporting the club IMO, they’re just supporting their own agenda of hatred.

Now…if people had wanted to organise a protest against Wonga like Bolton did, then that’s a different matter. But the “true fans” were too chicken sh*t to do anything about that weren’t they. They prefer to hide on this blog and bitch about it like gossipy old women. Cowards.

• Toon Avenger

Jul 31, 2013 at 10:36 AM

The definition of a true fan in my eyes who will support the club no matter what and will always strive to make it better than it already is.

It isn’t blindly following a morally corrupt owner, it isn’t supporting a terrible manager and it certainly isn’t sitting idly by as a club is destroyed from the inside.

• Jail for Ashley

Jul 31, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Pawl,
    You are like the whole annoying extended album on repeat stuck in a lift.

• toonarmydownsouth

Jul 31, 2013 at 10:37 AM

TDS
    If that’s your view then it completely contradicts your opinion on Ashley
    Complete double standard

SBR was a fantastic manager who was allowed to build the squad he wanted

Pardew is an average manager who’d be lucky if MA let him build a toy car out of Lego let alone the squad he wants

• Toon Avenger

Jul 31, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Pawl

How old are you? Where are you from? How many matches have you been to?

Same to Joe blog and Down Sarf.

• mattyNUFC

Jul 31, 2013 at 10:38 AM

toondarnsarf, richy

comparing MA to past owners holds little relevance, especially when you are using it to justify his actions (or non action)

it’s like citing Stalin’s nefarious doings as all the more reason to not only justify but support Gorbachev’s. it’s just stupid, is what it is

• hotdog

Jul 31, 2013 at 10:38 AM

You have got to laugh, we were telling Joe Kinnear to shut his gob and now we cant wait for him to open it with a couple of signings 🙂

I think we will always have a split on Ashley like any regime. You cant lose sight that he wants that debt paid off and the club to be self sufficient. How he achieves this and how quickly is the balancing act.

• toonarmydownsouth

Jul 31, 2013 at 10:39 AM

TDS
    Once again your stating YOUR opinion on a true fan
    Double standards

• pawl250

Jul 31, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Toon Avenger

“You offer this club nothing”

LMAO You basically described yourself then said the above!

I am from the North East, I live in South Shields and I was a season ticket holder for a long time. My job and girlfriends (currently lives in Northampton) however pulls me away MOST games, and when I get any chance I go and support them!

YET, when I used to live in Northampton for a small period I made treks up North to SUPPORT the team. So dont give me that drivel mate!

You are a little streamer, contribute ZERO, then say you SUPPORT the team and then compare others to yourself and say they dont?!

CONTRADICTION! And it is you that is wrong with this club! Expecting MA to spend all of your money….. oh wait thats right you contribute zero to the club so why should you have any say?!!

• mattyNUFC

Jul 31, 2013 at 10:40 AM

toon avenger

please don’t play the provincially-motivated ‘true fan’ card

it’s f****** retarded

• ToonDarnSarf

Jul 31, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Toon Avenger

You know…I started to write a response to tell you what matches I’ve been to, but then I stopped as I have no reason or desire to justify myself to a bigoted, small-minded idiot such as yourself.

I refuse to read any more of your posts and won’t be responding either. Have fun wallowing in your pit.

• Tinman

Jul 31, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Fooking hell. Nothing has changed here over the last few days. If anything its got worse…
    Adios.

• Toon Avenger

Jul 31, 2013 at 10:43 AM

To be honest I can see why so many great posters left this blog. It’s turned into a breeding ground for idiots and trolls,

Dr. Ed Harrison I think the time is now to update your blog to include personal profiles of each poster that we can click onto, report spam button, like/dislike comment and a place for us to post our own threads because there is to much rubbish we have to look at and you’re losing decent posters by the day.

I was recommended this blog due to its great reputation and now it’s seen as a but of a joke due to the crazies taking over the asylum without any attempt to stop it.

• RonVanDam

Jul 31, 2013 at 10:43 AM

@ 15 Luque

LOL nice spotting

• pawl250

Jul 31, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Also I went to any Southern away matches…..

I know support mate, I have been to the games and felt the passion.

I go to EL games last season, I was screaming and willing the team to get up the pitch against Benfica….. where were you?! Streaming or watching on TV calling yourself a supporter?! LOL

I have been to more games than you I was a season ticket holder for over 10 years!! Never missed a home game whether it be against Coventry in a cup match or Man Utd! and when my girlfriend moves up North in the next year, I will either

1. Buy half a season ticket in December, or if she is not up by then

2. By a full season ticket next year!

I will probably be at the first home game this season too…. DESPITE it being on TV sunshine! call yourself a supporter!

• Toon-Prodigy

Jul 31, 2013 at 10:44 AM

I dont think anyone wants us to shell out 50 million nor do they believe it will ever happen Pawl.

I think the question that’s on peoples minds, certaintly mine, is that do we need to operate this way now we have paid the debts off and have money to spend.

The structure that was set-up 5-6 years ago was so we could have the club running self sufficiently. That’s done now as far as I can tell.

Could we possibly be more ambitious with our income now?

I believe we could be now we are debt free and have the extra TV revenue. It does look at present though we are sticking to the same transfer policy, buy from abroad, cheaper wages. Skimping on 1-2 mill here and there.

Playing hardball for the sake of playing hardball.

That is not going to get us anywhere fast.

All I want is the club to show some ambition, the best ambition they can in regards to our income.

I really don’t think this is the case.

Bedtime for me. Have a pleasant day lads.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Jul 31, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Toon avenger
    don’t insult my intelligence I got two season tickets go to every home game with my son if could afford to travel I would and
    I support Ashley and what he has done (some of his appointments are strange and pisses me off with Wonga and summer transfer windows) but if we kept going the way Shepherd was running the club we would be bankrupt.

Find below what the Halls and Shepherds took out the club – That’s NO way I want this club run again.

From big spenders to big earners

Since Newcastle United were floated on the Stock Exchange in April 1997 the Hall family and Freddy Shepherd have earned from the club as follows:

Sales of shares by Cameron Hall, Sir John and Douglas Hall’s company:

December 1998 Sold 6.3% to NTL: £10m

December 1999 Sold 3.26% to NTL: £5.28m

December 1999 Douglas Hall sold 0.39% to NTL: £0.57m

June 2003 Sold 11.4% to Newcastle United itself: £4.5m

Total earned by Hall family in sales of Newcastle United shares £20.35m

Sales of shares by Freddy Shepherd Nil

Shepherd and his brother, Bruce, have increased their shareholding, via their company, Shepherd Offshore, from 7% at the time of flotation to 28% now

Dividends paid by Newcastle United plc to shareholders 1998-2005

2005 £495,951 £552,954

Total £2,415,873 £2,862,059

Totals made from Newcastle United 1999 to 2005

Sir John, Douglas and Cameron Hall: £36,466,153

Freddy Shepherd and Shepherd Offshore: £ 8,351,298

Total £44,817,451

Figures compiled with assistance of Ian Ferguson from http://www.nufc-finances.org.uk

Totals made from Newcastle United in a 6 year period

Sir John, Douglas and Cameron Hall: £36,466,153

Freddy Shepherd and Shepherd Offshore: £ 8,351,298

Total £44,817,451
    That equals over &7 million per year

AND

In summary what Shepherd left was a club that was losing over £30m a year, had debts of £70m, had no assets they could borrow more money against, and had a set of players on long, lucrative contracts. Ashley can get rid of the debt but the £30m annual losses with over paid players will take longer to sort out.

READ?THE?FACTS at http://www.nufc-finances.org.uk
    and come on with something constructive!!!!!

• ToonDarnSarf

Jul 31, 2013 at 10:44 AM

TADS

How does it contradict my view on Ashley???

Ashley has stabilised the business side of things and has made some pretty significant changes behind the scenes that will set this club up for the future.

I don’t give him credit for 5th place, that was down to Pardew and especially the excellent form of some key players.

Like I said SBR was too good for us, there’s no way he would have come to us if it wasn’t for him being local. Pardeww is a good PL manager. Sure, I’d love it if we had a more successful manager but unless a sheikh comes in with oodles of cash or we’re at least on the fringe of the CL, then we’ve got about the right level of manager for where we are.

• Markaccus

Jul 31, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Oh cruel irony. How it mocks us!

• mattyNUFC

Jul 31, 2013 at 10:44 AM

I’ve only been to two matches

Am I not a true fan?

I guaruntee I spent more money getting to those two matches than most of you have paid getting to all of yours……does that make me a better fan then?

please get back to talking about the club, not an internet dick swinging contest. you all sound more moronic the longer this goes, which in turn makes me wonder why i’m spending so much time with a bunch of f****** idiots.

• Toon Avenger

Jul 31, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Pawl

Erm… Speak English please.

You’ve riddled yourself into confusion.

Trying to be fancy and intelligent has led you down the road to mindless babble.

• ToonDarnSarf

Jul 31, 2013 at 10:46 AM

TADS

Stating my opinions on a “true fan” would be different to telling people that they aren’t a “true fan”! Besides, I didn’t define a “true fan”, I was ridiculing those people who claim they are one when all they do is whinge and bitch on an online forum.

If the “true fans” hated Wonga so much then why didn’t they chase them our like Bolton managed to do?

• magpie6699

Jul 31, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Let me put my point of view.
    First of all, I have had a season ticket for 40+years except for 3 years when I was working in the deep South (Leeds), I was born and raised in Benwell then Gosforth, so I think I can claim not to be a part-time internet supporter.
    I struggle with the opinion of those fans who claim that the club / life now is a total disaster and worse than it’s ever been – try supporting this club in the old Division 2 when we were nearly relegated to 3rd division and when we had some REAL dross playing for us. As for this bad regime – anyone remember “Westwood out”?
    Could we have done a Leeds or Portsmouth? Certainly.
    Do I agree with everything we do – no. I don’t get the JFK appointment, and whilst I do understand the need for thrift, I don’t get the brinkmanship over 1 or 2 million pounds in bids – that’s IF anything we read is true.
    But give me a break with the “Ashley out”, Pardew out”, and constant doom and gloom – it’s SO tedious, repetitive and bnoring!

• pawl250

Jul 31, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Toon Avenger!?

SORRY?! You asked me a question and responded, and you do not like the answer!

Try this I HAVE BEEN TO MORE GAMES THAN YOU MATE!

EVEN IF I STOP GOING TO GAMES AS OF TODAY I WOULD HAVE BEEN TO MORE GAMES THAN YOU IN THE REMAINDER OF YOUR LIFE!

Simple and easy….. and plain English …

Trying to dis acknowledge posts that you do not like….. simply because you are not a SUPPORTER as you contribute no money to the club… you are a follower and therefore your opinion is not as valid as mine …. someone who actually spends money SUPPORTING the club.

I get to demand to know where my money has gone, I get to demand new players if I choose……

You simply moan and contributed nothing in the process.