Put These Words In The Dressing Room To Inspire Our Players

The famous quote from Bobby Robson about what is a football club – just about describes the complete and utter passion the Newcastle fans have for their club – and of course Bobby was manager at Newcastle United from early September of 1999 through late August of 2004, when he was sacked because 5th place wasn’t good enough for then Chairman Freddy Shepherd.

Newcastle v West Ham

Sir Bobby Robson – the great one

But as usual Bobby took his shock dismissal with the dignity he showed throughout his life, and kept quiet about it – although he was utterly and completely shocked, after he successfully led the side to 4th, 3rd and 5th in successive seasons, after coming in and rescuing us in 1999 from the mess Ruud Gullit had left.

Here’s those words from the great one:

“What is a club in any case?” “Not the buildings or the directors or the people who are paid to represent it.”

It’s not the television contracts, get-out clauses, marketing departments or executive boxes.”

“It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.”

“It’s a small boy clambering up stadium steps for the very first time, gripping his father’s hand, gawping at that hallowed stretch of turf beneath him and, without being able to do a thing about it, falling in love.”

We have players from all over the place in the squad, and they need to know what football club they are playing for, and before every home game the manager should point to the plaque on the wall, to remind the players the club they are playing for.

That should give us a two goal start. 😀

And we should add that today is exactly four years since Bobby passed away away from cancer.

Newcastle is certainly not an ordinary club, but extra ordinary and one of the best supported clubs on the planet, even though we haven’t won anything for 44 years.

bobby robson jose mourinho

Who’s the special one here – hint – it’s not the guy on the right

We think it would be a great thing to do – a large plaque on the dressing room wall with Bobby’s words and a picture of the great one, and it will remind the players of Bobby’s great legacy at his home town club.

It’s certainly inspired me – now where did I put those boots 25 years ago? 😀

What do you think?

Note –  I immediately deleted that article about  Joey Barton, once a reader reminded me it was two years old  – it was my error.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

• pawl250

Jul 31, 2013 at 11:34 AM

That Barton interview is a bit sketchy innit?!

Imagine the likes of Krul, Coloccini etc. taking advice from BARTON, SMITH, CARROLL lol The only sensible ones were Nolan and Harper!

I think I smell something, could it be cat sh!t, could it be dog sh!t, NO its bullsh!t.

And him in prison, lets be honest you CAN and perfectly in your means to sack someone for going to prison as a breach of conduct.

You only need to see what he did at Man City and QPR and how quick they pushed him out to see what you get with Barton!

Think he is telling some porkies….. although the reduction contract sounds believable, the likelyhood is they did not choose to sack him as he was an asset to the club, a one that could have been sold.

• mattyNUFC

Jul 31, 2013 at 11:35 AM

ed must’ve taken the video down once he heard JB’s language.

typical journalist, looking for quantity before even skimming for quality 😀

• richyg01

Jul 31, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Pure Legend.

Will never be another Sir Bobby in football, its all about money now a days, not so much about the passion or love of the game.

• ToonDarnSarf

Jul 31, 2013 at 11:37 AM

TADS

I’ve not accused you of demanding that the club spends £50M on players this summer. But I have had a go at others who have suggested ridiculous transfer fees.

Ok…let’s get this clear then…tell me realistically, what do you want to happen at our club over the next 12 months?

• richyg01

Jul 31, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Hey guys.

Respect the article, keep posts SBR related if we can?

• toonarmydownsouth

Jul 31, 2013 at 11:40 AM

TDS
    I’ve told you many many many times my expectations of the club
    Like I said same old ground

• JackButler

Jul 31, 2013 at 11:41 AM

How Barton can ever accuse anyone of acting without dignity is laughable, the sooner he disappears from sight and mind the better

• ToonDarnSarf

Jul 31, 2013 at 11:42 AM

TADS

So what’s the real difference then if nothing has changed?

I want to see us sign 1 striker and 1 attacking player plus a few young players for the under-21 team. I think we’ll spend £10-15M and I think we’ll get 7th or 8th place. I think Pardew should be given a few months to prove we can achieve this and will be moved on if we’re struggling come December. And I think the “Ashley out” brigade are mad because he’s hardly likely to just walk away from the club.

• toonarmydownsouth

Jul 31, 2013 at 11:43 AM

SBR was undoubtedly the finest manager England has produced
    A great man who’s passion not only for the toon but the football world is an inspiration to everyone

A true legend and a true gent

• Big Pappa Cissé

Jul 31, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Legend

• toon22

Jul 31, 2013 at 11:43 AM

I would think the best thing would be MA sellin to someone who actually wants us as a team/club.
    Someone who wants more than just being in the league.
    Someone who wants to tap into the passion of the place and not just to use us as a cheap advert for a tatty cheap store.
    Someone who would agree with the majority of people that Wonga arnt worthy of being our sponsers.

• richyg01

Jul 31, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Howay Lads, show some damn respect to SBR.

We can argue and go on in other threads, cant we just not have it on this one!!!

• Belfast

Jul 31, 2013 at 11:45 AM

The Barton video is about two years old.

Any Idea why it’s resurfaced the last few days ?

• hadthetshirt

Jul 31, 2013 at 11:46 AM

@5 here here,well said.Your wasting your breath though

puts Alice Cooper record on “Schools out” for summer.

Sir Bobby true Gent.

• JackButler

Jul 31, 2013 at 11:47 AM

richyg01 #5

Fair comment mate

• Markaccus

Jul 31, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Rip sir bobby.
    A “TRUE FAN” of ALL football, if ever there was one. Respect this legend of the game.

• toon22

Jul 31, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Agree SBR true Gent

• geordie157

Jul 31, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Sir Bobby will always be my favourite Newcastle manager. Genuine top bloke too, I can’t think of anyone managing now who comes near in terms of being likeable and such an infectious character.

This post, has reminded me that I need to dig out my old season review DVDs.

• nut meg

Jul 31, 2013 at 11:48 AM

great idea Ed.I can relate to what SBR says.I remember walking up those stairs with my school mate,8 years of age & doing exactly that….falling in love with NUFC. I have always looked upon it as never ending love affair.The highs & lows just like a marriage. I remember getting lifted over the top of supporters heads from the back to the front so i could sit the the cinder track around the pitch.The first time I read it I got a lump in my throat. RIP SBR.

• Dannyo

Jul 31, 2013 at 11:49 AM

I’d be surprised if not every club in the #EPL had that on a wall somewhere.

• richyg01

Jul 31, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Did anyone ever have the honor of meeting Bobby?

I am sure he would be an amazing person to speak to with his wealth of knowledge and a never ending library of little stories and anecdotes.

• nut meg

Jul 31, 2013 at 11:50 AM

MAYBE ANY ONE GOING TO THE MEETING TONIGHT CAN SUGGEST IT.

• mattyNUFC

Jul 31, 2013 at 11:51 AM

richy

yes, let’s all forgot conversations we were in the middle of on posts-past to entertain your skewed belief that if we simply withhold anything other than the related to this article that you’ll be littered in silent accolades because you, dear richy, have proven the last, final possessor of morality in this barren, God-less blog

how about you respect other people’s debates? we all know how ALL of us feel about SBR. comments pertinent only to a haphazard article on a pop-up infested blog are not indicative or otherwise of our affection or appreciation towards him.

• viv

Jul 31, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Sir Bobby spent 190 million on players won nothing and got sacked Legend aye for Ipswich not NUFC!

• richyg01

Jul 31, 2013 at 11:52 AM

@23

No need really mate is there

• JAMSHA

Jul 31, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Just Get A BIG SBR BANNER AN WAVE IT AT OUR HOME GAME, To Show The World Newcastle Misses Him… an No 1 Can Replace Him

• Black and White with an army lol

Jul 31, 2013 at 11:53 AM

ToonDarnSarf@8

mate you have now reached the top of list for the most fickle fan on here, you honestly think MA will spend 10-15 million on players, get over mate, MA wants to sell the club so why on earth would he bring players in when he’s selling out?

• toon kk

Jul 31, 2013 at 11:53 AM

TDS
    Do you think MA is a good owner for our club?

• Rotonda heights

Jul 31, 2013 at 11:55 AM

What a fall from SBR to JFK, Pardew & Wonga

• ToonDarnSarf

Jul 31, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Spot on comment there from SBR and exactly why Ashley, JFK and Wonga will never be able to rip the heart and soul out of our club. It will always remain while we have fans who are passionate about this club.

SBR was the greatest NUFC manager in my lifetime. He deserved to be the man to bring us a trophy and I’m sure he’d be proud to see so many good things happening in his name even after his death.

• Black and White with an army lol

Jul 31, 2013 at 11:56 AM

viv

winning things doesn’t make you a legend, if this is your case i guess you think Shearer isn’t a legend either

• thejokethatisnufc

Jul 31, 2013 at 11:56 AM

On a positive the bookmakers think were good enough to go down next season let’s see what happens

• nut meg

Jul 31, 2013 at 11:56 AM

viv @ 24
    This will be the first & last time that I will respond to you. Put the cone hat back on your head & stand in the corner facing the wall.
    good bye

• Rotonda heights

Jul 31, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Viv

4th, 3rd, 5th
    3 years running.
    Enough said and show a bit of respect please

• toonfan76

Jul 31, 2013 at 11:58 AM

viv = troll. No true NUFC fan would tarnish the name of SBR.

• Black and White with an army lol

Jul 31, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Viv & Jeff ( hidden mackems )

• ToonDarnSarf

Jul 31, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Black and White with an army lol

Er…why does that make me fickle?

Yours is just yet another opinion on here. There are several other fans who say he will never sell because it’s
    his vehicle for promoting Sports Direct and they’re just as convinced that they are right as you are.

There’s no evidence that he’s trying to sell now and if he does want to sell in the future, then why not spend a little of THE CLUB’S MONEY and sign the players that we need to round off the squad and target the top 8?

• TheToonKing

Jul 31, 2013 at 11:59 AM

I really want some transfers in , but to put things into perspective.

Look at the team we had here 😀 and still won.

Remember Nicky Butt ? lol

• Markaccus

Jul 31, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Richy

You wasted your time. Sad isn’t it? For what its worth, i agree that this shoild have just been for sbr comments, discussions being picked up again on the next article. I cant actually believe someone has actually actively attempted to start an argument with you over it!

• ~Joke-innear~

Jul 31, 2013 at 12:00 PM

I thought a mural of JFK on the ceiling was enough motivation for the lads?

1 2 3 8