The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Put These Words In The Dressing Room To Inspire Our Players

11:33 am, Wednesday, July 31st, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 293 Comments

The famous quote from Bobby Robson about what is a football club – just about describes the complete and utter passion the Newcastle fans have for their club – and of course Bobby was manager at Newcastle United from early September of 1999 through late August of 2004, when he was sacked because 5th place wasn’t good enough for then Chairman Freddy Shepherd.

Newcastle v West Ham

Sir Bobby Robson – the great one

But as usual Bobby took his shock dismissal with the dignity he showed throughout his life, and kept quiet about it – although he was utterly and completely shocked, after he successfully led the side to 4th, 3rd and 5th in successive seasons, after coming in and rescuing us in 1999 from the mess Ruud Gullit had left.

Here’s those words from the great one:

“What is a club in any case?” “Not the buildings or the directors or the people who are paid to represent it.”

It’s not the television contracts, get-out clauses, marketing departments or executive boxes.”

“It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.”

“It’s a small boy clambering up stadium steps for the very first time, gripping his father’s hand, gawping at that hallowed stretch of turf beneath him and, without being able to do a thing about it, falling in love.”

We have players from all over the place in the squad, and they need to know what football club they are playing for, and before every home game the manager should point to the plaque on the wall, to remind the players the club they are playing for.

That should give us a two goal start. :D

And we should add that today is exactly four years since Bobby passed away away from cancer.

Newcastle is certainly not an ordinary club, but extra ordinary and one of the best supported clubs on the planet, even though we haven’t won anything for 44 years.

bobby robson jose mourinho

Who’s the special one here – hint – it’s not the guy on the right

We think it would be a great thing to do – a large plaque on the dressing room wall with Bobby’s words and a picture of the great one, and it will remind the players of Bobby’s great legacy at his home town club.

It’s certainly inspired me – now where did I put those boots 25 years ago? :D

What do you think?

Note –  I immediately deleted that article about  Joey Barton, once a reader reminded me it was two years old  – it was my error.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

=============================================

Tags: Fans · Newcastle News · Other News · St. James' Park

293 responses so far ↓

• 1 pawl250 // Jul 31, 2013 at 11:34 AM

That Barton interview is a bit sketchy innit?!

Imagine the likes of Krul, Coloccini etc. taking advice from BARTON, SMITH, CARROLL lol The only sensible ones were Nolan and Harper!

I think I smell something, could it be cat sh!t, could it be dog sh!t, NO its bullsh!t.

And him in prison, lets be honest you CAN and perfectly in your means to sack someone for going to prison as a breach of conduct.

You only need to see what he did at Man City and QPR and how quick they pushed him out to see what you get with Barton!

Think he is telling some porkies….. although the reduction contract sounds believable, the likelyhood is they did not choose to sack him as he was an asset to the club, a one that could have been sold.

• 2 mattyNUFC // Jul 31, 2013 at 11:35 AM

ed must’ve taken the video down once he heard JB’s language.

typical journalist, looking for quantity before even skimming for quality :D

• 3 richyg01 // Jul 31, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Pure Legend.

Will never be another Sir Bobby in football, its all about money now a days, not so much about the passion or love of the game.

• 4 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 31, 2013 at 11:37 AM

TADS

I’ve not accused you of demanding that the club spends £50M on players this summer. But I have had a go at others who have suggested ridiculous transfer fees.

Ok…let’s get this clear then…tell me realistically, what do you want to happen at our club over the next 12 months?

• 5 richyg01 // Jul 31, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Hey guys.

Respect the article, keep posts SBR related if we can?

• 6 toonarmydownsouth // Jul 31, 2013 at 11:40 AM

TDS
    I’ve told you many many many times my expectations of the club
    Like I said same old ground

• 7 JackButler // Jul 31, 2013 at 11:41 AM

How Barton can ever accuse anyone of acting without dignity is laughable, the sooner he disappears from sight and mind the better

• 8 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 31, 2013 at 11:42 AM

TADS

So what’s the real difference then if nothing has changed?

I want to see us sign 1 striker and 1 attacking player plus a few young players for the under-21 team. I think we’ll spend £10-15M and I think we’ll get 7th or 8th place. I think Pardew should be given a few months to prove we can achieve this and will be moved on if we’re struggling come December. And I think the “Ashley out” brigade are mad because he’s hardly likely to just walk away from the club.

• 9 toonarmydownsouth // Jul 31, 2013 at 11:43 AM

SBR was undoubtedly the finest manager England has produced
    A great man who’s passion not only for the toon but the football world is an inspiration to everyone

A true legend and a true gent

• 10 Big Pappa Cissé // Jul 31, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Legend

• 11 toon22 // Jul 31, 2013 at 11:43 AM

I would think the best thing would be MA sellin to someone who actually wants us as a team/club.
    Someone who wants more than just being in the league.
    Someone who wants to tap into the passion of the place and not just to use us as a cheap advert for a tatty cheap store.
    Someone who would agree with the majority of people that Wonga arnt worthy of being our sponsers.

• 12 richyg01 // Jul 31, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Howay Lads, show some damn respect to SBR.

We can argue and go on in other threads, cant we just not have it on this one!!!

• 13 Belfast // Jul 31, 2013 at 11:45 AM

The Barton video is about two years old.

Any Idea why it’s resurfaced the last few days ?

• 14 hadthetshirt // Jul 31, 2013 at 11:46 AM

@5 here here,well said.Your wasting your breath though

puts Alice Cooper record on “Schools out” for summer.

Sir Bobby true Gent.

• 15 JackButler // Jul 31, 2013 at 11:47 AM

richyg01 #5

Fair comment mate

• 16 Markaccus // Jul 31, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Rip sir bobby.
    A “TRUE FAN” of ALL football, if ever there was one. Respect this legend of the game.

• 17 toon22 // Jul 31, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Agree SBR true Gent

• 18 geordie157 // Jul 31, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Sir Bobby will always be my favourite Newcastle manager. Genuine top bloke too, I can’t think of anyone managing now who comes near in terms of being likeable and such an infectious character.

This post, has reminded me that I need to dig out my old season review DVDs.

• 19 nut meg // Jul 31, 2013 at 11:48 AM

great idea Ed.I can relate to what SBR says.I remember walking up those stairs with my school mate,8 years of age & doing exactly that….falling in love with NUFC. I have always looked upon it as never ending love affair.The highs & lows just like a marriage. I remember getting lifted over the top of supporters heads from the back to the front so i could sit the the cinder track around the pitch.The first time I read it I got a lump in my throat. RIP SBR.

• 20 Dannyo // Jul 31, 2013 at 11:49 AM

I’d be surprised if not every club in the #EPL had that on a wall somewhere.

• 21 richyg01 // Jul 31, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Did anyone ever have the honor of meeting Bobby?

I am sure he would be an amazing person to speak to with his wealth of knowledge and a never ending library of little stories and anecdotes.

• 22 nut meg // Jul 31, 2013 at 11:50 AM

MAYBE ANY ONE GOING TO THE MEETING TONIGHT CAN SUGGEST IT.

• 23 mattyNUFC // Jul 31, 2013 at 11:51 AM

richy

yes, let’s all forgot conversations we were in the middle of on posts-past to entertain your skewed belief that if we simply withhold anything other than the related to this article that you’ll be littered in silent accolades because you, dear richy, have proven the last, final possessor of morality in this barren, God-less blog

how about you respect other people’s debates? we all know how ALL of us feel about SBR. comments pertinent only to a haphazard article on a pop-up infested blog are not indicative or otherwise of our affection or appreciation towards him.

• 24 viv // Jul 31, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Sir Bobby spent 190 million on players won nothing and got sacked Legend aye for Ipswich not NUFC!

• 25 richyg01 // Jul 31, 2013 at 11:52 AM

@23

No need really mate is there

• 26 JAMSHA // Jul 31, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Just Get A BIG SBR BANNER AN WAVE IT AT OUR HOME GAME, To Show The World Newcastle Misses Him… an No 1 Can Replace Him

• 27 Black and White with an army lol // Jul 31, 2013 at 11:53 AM

ToonDarnSarf@8

mate you have now reached the top of list for the most fickle fan on here, you honestly think MA will spend 10-15 million on players, get over mate, MA wants to sell the club so why on earth would he bring players in when he’s selling out?

• 28 toon kk // Jul 31, 2013 at 11:53 AM

TDS
    Do you think MA is a good owner for our club?

• 29 Rotonda heights // Jul 31, 2013 at 11:55 AM

What a fall from SBR to JFK, Pardew & Wonga

• 30 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 31, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Spot on comment there from SBR and exactly why Ashley, JFK and Wonga will never be able to rip the heart and soul out of our club. It will always remain while we have fans who are passionate about this club.

SBR was the greatest NUFC manager in my lifetime. He deserved to be the man to bring us a trophy and I’m sure he’d be proud to see so many good things happening in his name even after his death.

• 31 Black and White with an army lol // Jul 31, 2013 at 11:56 AM

viv

winning things doesn’t make you a legend, if this is your case i guess you think Shearer isn’t a legend either

• 32 thejokethatisnufc // Jul 31, 2013 at 11:56 AM

On a positive the bookmakers think were good enough to go down next season let’s see what happens

• 33 nut meg // Jul 31, 2013 at 11:56 AM

viv @ 24
    This will be the first & last time that I will respond to you. Put the cone hat back on your head & stand in the corner facing the wall.
    good bye

• 34 Rotonda heights // Jul 31, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Viv

4th, 3rd, 5th
    3 years running.
    Enough said and show a bit of respect please

• 35 toonfan76 // Jul 31, 2013 at 11:58 AM

viv = troll. No true NUFC fan would tarnish the name of SBR.

• 36 Black and White with an army lol // Jul 31, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Viv & Jeff ( hidden mackems )

• 37 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 31, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Black and White with an army lol

Er…why does that make me fickle?

Yours is just yet another opinion on here. There are several other fans who say he will never sell because it’s
    his vehicle for promoting Sports Direct and they’re just as convinced that they are right as you are.

There’s no evidence that he’s trying to sell now and if he does want to sell in the future, then why not spend a little of THE CLUB’S MONEY and sign the players that we need to round off the squad and target the top 8?

• 38 TheToonKing // Jul 31, 2013 at 11:59 AM

I really want some transfers in , but to put things into perspective.

Look at the team we had here :D and still won.

Remember Nicky Butt ? lol

• 39 Markaccus // Jul 31, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Richy

You wasted your time. Sad isn’t it? For what its worth, i agree that this shoild have just been for sbr comments, discussions being picked up again on the next article. I cant actually believe someone has actually actively attempted to start an argument with you over it!

• 40 ~Joke-innear~ // Jul 31, 2013 at 12:00 PM

I thought a mural of JFK on the ceiling was enough motivation for the lads?

• 41 viv // Jul 31, 2013 at 12:01 PM

190 million spent on the likes of Gavalan bramble obrien cort viana etc etc!

• 42 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 31, 2013 at 12:01 PM

toon kk

Come on mate..that’s far too much of a broad question to get a succinct answer from me! It’s all relative. It’s all relative anyway, but I don’t think he deserves the abuse that he gets. I think he deserves being told that him and his team need to make sure we get at least one top striker this summer at a minimum, but I think most of the abuse is frankly childish and usually completely lacking in fact.

• 43 richyg01 // Jul 31, 2013 at 12:01 PM

@39

Some ‘fans’ just cant help themselves.

• 44 JAMSHA // Jul 31, 2013 at 12:02 PM

viv

ur good in maths??

didnt win trophys but got into cl an top 5 matters all.. if he was still der n not been sacked who knows we would hav won Cups

• 45 SuperShearer // Jul 31, 2013 at 12:02 PM

£7.5 Millions for Steven Caulker…sounds like a good price to me. He’s English, he’s quick, he’s tall and he can score from corners. Just sayin.

• 46 Ben3arfa // Jul 31, 2013 at 12:04 PM

From a class gent like Sir Bobby to a scumbag crook like Kinnear

What a pathetic fall for our club

• 47 richyg01 // Jul 31, 2013 at 12:04 PM

RESPECT

• 48 Black and White with an army lol // Jul 31, 2013 at 12:04 PM

ToonDarnSarf

don’t get me wrong mate i respect yours and others opinions but we got to be realistic here, if MA brings players in they will have no sell on value like Bent for example leaving the next chairmen with no profits from selling our current players

• 49 Belfast // Jul 31, 2013 at 12:05 PM

I agree super shearer but they wont pay that for a centre back when we’ve already got four.

Anybody know what happened to Willamsons move to Cardiff ?

• 50 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 31, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Richy/Markaccus

Come on…this isn’t a SBR tribute site or page. There are plenty of places for that. Every real fan would laud SBR’s achievements at our club but this is a blog for discussing our club. If Ed wants to set up a page for people to add their tributes to SBR then he can.

• 51 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 31, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Black and White with an army lol

You’ve been reading too much about profits on players mate and you’re not focussing on the football. Whether MA wants to sell the club or not, an established top 10 team is a good thing for him. I think Bent will be a last resort but Remy and Gomis will hold their values pretty well over the next couple of years when you think about assets.

From the owner’s perspective, it’s not about selling players at a profit, it’s about increasing the value of the club and its assets.

• 52 richyg01 // Jul 31, 2013 at 12:09 PM

@50

I’m not saying that this is a SBR tribute site.

I just cant see why every single thread has to be an ongoing article, often with few comments relating to the actual article.

We all know who SBR is and what he stands for, and sure, we don’t HAVE to talk about him, no one is going to say anything we don’t already know.

BUT respect costs nothing, if, for one post, there cant be bickering etc, then it’s a bad job.

• 53 Black and White with an army lol // Jul 31, 2013 at 12:09 PM

we got to realize it’s been 2 months today and no 1 has came through the doors

• 54 toonfan76 // Jul 31, 2013 at 12:11 PM

I would say that Markaccus hit the nail on the head when he said SBR was a fan of all football. This to me is what makes an NUFC fan just a little bit different from other fans, it’s our love of the game which keeps us passionate about our club. Win, loose or draw our hearts are on our slieves for all to see. Of course we would like to win every game we play but as long as our players are all giving 100% we will accept the result a little more easily. I have read Sir Bobby’s Autobiography and found myself truly humbled by the way life kept trying to knock him down but his passion for football never flickered. His heart truly bled Black and White.

• 55 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 31, 2013 at 12:13 PM

richyg01

If the site was set up differently, then I’d agree with you. I’d prefer it if there were different sections and threads within them that people could respond to and add their own. But it isn’t. The only way I have of knowing if someone has responded to me is to go through every post after my own, and I’m not going to wait until Ed puts out the next article to respond. By which time we’ve probably all lost the train of thought.

I haven’t seen any bickering on this article to be honest, just one troll.

• 56 mattyNUFC // Jul 31, 2013 at 12:15 PM

richy

that’s what this is though

ed posts a bunch of stuff, most of it either conjecture or uninteresting, and we use them as a sort of rolling forum

• 57 toonarmydownsouth // Jul 31, 2013 at 12:20 PM

Richy
    Aye met him once after man city at home in 2000 and was the only time I’ve ever genuinely been silenced in awe! Fantastic bloke more than happy to stand and chat

Viv
    I won’t say anything on this board except just leave
    But feel free to pop up when the next thread goes on and I’ll tell ya exactly what I think of ya

• 58 toon kk // Jul 31, 2013 at 12:21 PM

TDS
    I am open minded to people’s opinions and can see what your getting at. But you have to accept everyone wants more ambition and to watch better football than MA is prepared to give us.
    He’s a billionaire who has no respect for his own fans of the club, all he ever thinks about is his own welfare. Do you think he cares what you, I or anyone thinks?
    Imo he should never have bought the club. He just wants more money. Greed at the fans expense.

• 59 Yorkgeordie // Jul 31, 2013 at 12:28 PM

Newcastle didn’t sack Barton because he cost money (5 or 6 million I think) and weren’t going to let him sign for another club for nothing, and there would have been plenty of clubs after him for free.

• 60 davo // Jul 31, 2013 at 12:30 PM

I”ve thought recently that a picture of SBR with that quote of his would make a great poster.

• 61 Transfer Sage // Jul 31, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Sell on value should not be the main thing considered when buying.

A massive whole in our squad is lack of experience in the prem league and in general also.

We have a lot of talented players but all top teams have players who have 10+ years in the league or at the top level.

This squad severely lacks players aged over 30….they help so much on and off the pitch. Too often Pardew is blamed when (although he is at fault) the players dont have the ability to rally themselves and don’t know how to cope with some difficult situations

• 62 Thump // Jul 31, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Yes, but you can’t expect them to sign a lesser contract or be sacked. It’s one or the other.

The interview is pretty old, though. It was done when he first signed with QPR. I wonder why it’s suddenly became popular?

• 63 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 31, 2013 at 12:37 PM

toon kk

I want more ambition too, but I also understand the situation that the club is in currently. Do you think Villa are happy with the situation they are in? What about clubs like Blackburn, Wolves and Leeds? I think we are doing the right thing with growing the club organically, so what do you actually mean by ambition? What could we do without overstretching ourselves and taking too big a risk?

As for the style of play…well that’s got nothing to do with Ashley, that’s Pardew’s domain. Last season our creative players (especially Cabaye and Ben Arfa) were mostly either injured or off-form and the creativity of our other players was stifled. I agree, I really hope that improves this season.

I honestly believe that he bought the club initially to have some fun. He was standing with the fans and enjoying himself. But then he made a fan’s mistake and appointed KK. Realising that KK would be a loose cannon in terms of signings, he made another mistake by appointing DW to control that side of things. And we all know what happened after that. He’s been slated so much, he’s just running it as a business and we are just customers, are you surprised?

• 64 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 31, 2013 at 12:38 PM

TS

Yeah. You’ll never win anything with kids…

• 65 Belfast // Jul 31, 2013 at 12:39 PM

I was wondering the exact same thing Thump. I remember watching it ages ago. Then kept seeing people mention it the last couple of days. It was posted on youtube about a week after he left for Qpr.

• 66 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 31, 2013 at 12:39 PM

TDS

Pardew is not Fergie, and our squad is not the class of 93. Do behave.

• 67 jammylambo // Jul 31, 2013 at 12:42 PM

our clubs inability to act this summer thus far is pathetic. im losing interest at a rapid speed of knots.

its day after day bad new what ifs and we were so close. its horse sh*t , im sick of having to live in the past for sucess. we had a massive opportunity last season to push on with the new funds and the attractiveness to players of us being in europe. and now this season we have the enormous prize funds , last place will get the same as last years champions for christ sake. and im sat here looking around at everyone taking note of this guaranteed influx in revenue and utilizing it to the maximum , norwich and swansea stick out most for the action they are taking , hell even sunderland (although i think they will suffer from too many too soon , in the first half of the season) are making inroads

and we are sat here languishing over darren bloody bent , is that all that we can get excited about these days .

id rather have good honest championship football than sit in this league watching everyone else drive for sucess while we sit pack happy to just make up the numbers.

f you ashley
    f you kinnear

• 68 Crow59 // Jul 31, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Anyone know for definate where sinclairs going please?? Iv heard west ham or west brom but nothing concrete?? X

• 69 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 31, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Also growing the club organically? You seem to be making this up as you go along. Wolves are not a big club, neither are Blackburn, they over stretched their limitations, by comparing our club to them in this sense you are undermining Newcastle’s infrastructure.

• 70 Crow59 // Jul 31, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Haha excuse the kiss lol far to many texts

• 71 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 31, 2013 at 12:46 PM

You’re excused Crow xoxoxo

• 72 JackButler // Jul 31, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Barton said to be on his way to Everton?

Best of luck to them……..their gonna need it with him anywhere near the club

• 73 mattyNUFC // Jul 31, 2013 at 12:47 PM

TDS

i find evidence hard to come by that the club is being grown ‘organically’. who was the last homegrown player to stake a claim in the starting 11? AC? and before? taylor?

1 player every 6 years is hardly an insinuation that our focus is there

• 74 Toon_Tom // Jul 31, 2013 at 12:47 PM

no problem crow, love you xxx

• 75 Transfer Sage // Jul 31, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Hanson said that in august 1995

man utd still had players like Bruce, Irwin, pallister, etc who were vastly experienced.

And also how many times do people win things with kids (or achieve more than expected)…much more often teams would fail than succeed.

I’m not suggesting no kids, just saying you need some balance…players like nolan, barton, harper, smith, but…not great players but solid and know the game, the league, the opposition and will offer very useful advice on the pitch.

• 76 JP...from The Rock // Jul 31, 2013 at 12:50 PM

I loved this guy. He reminded me of my grampa. So kind with everyone. He just loved football and he had such a passion for the game that is now lost forever. Will forever be missed Sir Bobby.

You were my favourite manager of all time, rest in peace.

I am still fuming that Fat Freddie Shepherd chucked the old man out the club in the harshest of ways. What a sad way to treat a legend after all the great times we had under his stewardship.

May you guide us to victory from the heavens Sir Bobby ;)

• 77 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 31, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Ruddy

When I saw “organically”, I mean as opposed to the artificial growth at clubs like City and Chelsea. Even QPR and Fulham have grown artificially due to massive investment. Wolves and Blackburn are not as big as Newcastle, sure, but they are big enough to be in the PL. Wolves are now in the 3rd tier, as were Sheffield Wednesday and Man City not too long ago.

• 78 JackButler // Jul 31, 2013 at 12:55 PM

ToonDarnSarf

the thing with growing a club ‘Organically’ is that you can only go so far.

You need ambition within a sound business model.

We have the model but little to no ambition.

• 79 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 31, 2013 at 12:57 PM

mattyNUFC

Sure, and before that we weren’t exactly bringing loads in either…KK scrapped the reserve team when he first came along and Shearer, Carrick and others all slipped through the net…

But now we have Krul, Saylor and Shola established in the first team with Sammy and Dummet looking like they will be involved this year and maybe Tav and Campbell too.

But organic growth is allowing the club to grow itself rather than using outside resources.

The last homegrown player to establish himself is…Tim Krul…

• 80 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 31, 2013 at 12:58 PM

JackButler

Man Utd did pretty well, as did Arsenal.

Besides, if we do that over the next few years, then maybe a more ambitious owner will buy us out and take us to the next level…

• 81 martoon // Jul 31, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Actually I blame some of the players for getting SBR sacked and will never forgive them. The likes of Jenas & Dyer made fun of him behind his back and Bellamy wouldn’t play on the wing.

• 82 Crow59 // Jul 31, 2013 at 12:59 PM

I remember meeting SBR on a freezing cold day in Dec 93. We had beaten spurs 4-0 and robert had scored 2 unbelievable goals. I staggered down the escalators from the suites and saw a 7 series BMW with the number plate BR 1 so walked over to a small crowd of fans and as i did he walked out ,came straight over shook my hand and as signing my programme asked if id enjoyed the game. I was a bit lost for words and had had a few and replied with something witty and he giggled. Such an awe about the man and he was a true gent. Even at his age and in the weather he stood and was pleasant with everyone. A true gent and a great man.

• 83 Indian Magpie // Jul 31, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Matt Spiro ?@mattspiro 6m
    Re last RT: Lyon-based journalist @Sylvainlartaud says #NUFC-target @BafGomis has been in touch with #OM coach, who told him to be patient

• 84 Indian Magpie // Jul 31, 2013 at 1:00 PM

Matt Spiro ?@mattspiro 6m

• 85 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 31, 2013 at 1:01 PM

TS

We do have experienced players in the squad like Colo, Jonas, Shola, Saylor and you could say Krul too.

I know what you’re saying though, and I think we have lacked leadership on the pitch at time. Hopefully our current players will be have matured a little and be able to provide that. I don’t see us signing anyone like that though unless you mean Bent…and he hardly strikes me as the mature leader type…

• 86 JackButler // Jul 31, 2013 at 1:02 PM

ToonDarnSarf

You are right, those clubs did and still do very well but the one massive difference between us and them is that they had/have the model and the RIGHT MANAGER.

The scouting and player acquisition system we have works very well, though we should be signing more player when we need them and not at massive wages or fee’s. Our squad as it stands today is very good with only a few glaring weak spot’s but…………….

Our manager and coaching system is second rate and that negates all the good work we do

• 87 Crow59 // Jul 31, 2013 at 1:04 PM

My kiss has overthrown my question lol can anyone inform me about sinclair or am i to remain hopeful he will be replacing jonas?? :)

• 88 Markaccus // Jul 31, 2013 at 1:04 PM

TDS

Sorry did not catch your comment on sbr before as i was on my lunch….

I agree this is not a tribute sight, and other subjects being didcussed on this particular article is not really a problem now that everyone has paid their respects so to speak, it is mainly the petty squabbles that could have been put on hold just for this one.

• 89 SeanNufc87 // Jul 31, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Loved that man, get goose bumps every time I rread that quote and not ashamed to admit I shed a tear when he passed.

You look at some of the people in the game today and you have to come to the conclusion, he was one of a kind, all honour and respect.

A true gent. RIP Bobby.

• 90 mattyNUFC // Jul 31, 2013 at 1:07 PM

TDS

i hope it doesnt seem like i’m nitpicking, but, you can hardly include shola in there. players like sammy, dummet, tavs and campbell have a LONG ways to go to not only cement a first team place but improving the squad in doing so. are they capable of it? I’ve no idea. I cannot adequately judge, as 99% on here can’t either. dummet to me seems the most likely. sammy shares the same eratic and mindboggling tendancies as his eldest sibling. steven taylor hardly is improving the squad. adversely, it could be argued he’s dragging it down.

there are no players that we can point to (other than krul) and say ‘look, there’s foolproof evidence of our development program’. it’s just not there, and as much as the board/club/management have led us to believe that is where our major focus lies, all I see is us chasing average players with little sell-on fees.

as much as we can all assume a plan and what it might be, the only thing we can be sure of is ashley’s negligence to the ambition of the fans and players. guaging that level negligence is the only thing up for debate, in my mind.

• 91 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 31, 2013 at 1:07 PM

JackButler

Come on though…the manager speculation has been done to death and it’s all down to personal opinion anyway.

Pardew over-achieved to get 5th when the core players all seemed to be on top form…then he underachieved and we just stayed up when the core players were almost always injured or off-form. It’s that simple.

I think we should really stop banging that drum, give Pardew and his team a chance and see where we are in a few months.

I’m convinced that if we’re not top half and looking like we’ll be able to get top 8 then Pardew will be gone in December. If we’re sitting in 15th place and 15 points away from 7th in December, then I’ll happily sign a petition to have him sacked. Until then, I’ll back him because I want our club to be successful.

• 92 Markaccus // Jul 31, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Martoon

Add to that bowyer being racist and not passing to dyer cos he is black. SBR was far too nice a guy to manage that type of player…the first of the ‘diva’ players in the toon squad. Man have we had some numpties since then!?

• 93 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 31, 2013 at 1:08 PM

Markaccus

Agreed. I didn’t think there were any petty squabbles to be honest, beyond viv being an obvious troll

• 94 richyg01 // Jul 31, 2013 at 1:09 PM

@88

Definitely one of a kind.

I fear the game will never deliver such a character again.

True epitome of the word ‘Legend’.

• 95 mattyNUFC // Jul 31, 2013 at 1:10 PM

crow59

why do we need to replace jonas? manager knows best, not us. we don’t see him on the training pitch. if pards thinks he’s deserving of a start, then he is

(remember the endless hba and marveaux debates :) )

• 96 Markaccus // Jul 31, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Tds

There had been a few brewing on the previous but they didnt carry over luckilly.

Now, have we signed anyone while i was eating? :D

• 97 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 31, 2013 at 1:14 PM

mattyNUFC

But Ashley has owned the club for 6 years. Seeing as players tend to break into the first team in their early 20s (unless they are exceptional like Rooney or Owen), he can hardly be blamed for the structure not having been in place to bring in the youngsters before his time. Presumably the likes of Dummet, Sammy, Fergie, Newton, Tav and Campbell were all brought into the fold under his tenure. Look at the 10 years before Ashley took over and there weren’t a huge number of players coming through either…have there been any of note beyond Shola, Saylor and Harper?

• 98 Markaccus // Jul 31, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Martoon

Coincidentally, there is an article from earlier today about Dyer retiring from footy due to injuries…… he is only about 10 seasons late in doing so :D

• 99 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 31, 2013 at 1:16 PM

Pardew talking transfers again and about not paying more than a player is worth…looks like JFK is being kept in his cage…

• 100 JackButler // Jul 31, 2013 at 1:16 PM

ToonDarnSarf

It has been done to death but it doesn’t alter the fact that he is not and will not be a manager who will get the best out of the players we have.

We simply cannot ignore the truth or the obvious just because we’ve all been banging on about it for months and months.

Give this squad to a manager to a better manager and we would be a totally different animal……..and thats what drive’s most people up the bloody wall.

Yes we can all see that Ashley is doing some good things at the club but then appointing the like’s of Pardew on an eight year contract and then bringing in Kinnear as Director of Football undoes every good thing that he has done.

I’m not saying that we should or that we have a divine right to be a top 4/5 club but under this management structure we never will be on a consistent basis

• 101 G.unit // Jul 31, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Well said SeanNUFC87.

I remember watching that charity match and you could see the delight in his face, even though he knew he was dying. Brought a tear to my eye, also.

RIP Sir Bobby (a true gent and a legend).

• 102 Shadow_Shearer // Jul 31, 2013 at 1:20 PM

RIP Sir Bobby Robson.

How we could do with your help these days, our team has never bein the same since without u.

Gone but never forgotten

• 103 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 31, 2013 at 1:21 PM

JackButler

Top 4 or 5 is a really tall order any time soon but it’s not out of the question. The 6 clubs ahead of us are sadly a long way ahead of us in terms of the amount of money they have to spend and the consistency in the league over the last 10 years.

But there’s no consensus on who would replace him. I’m shocked when some people say Poyet when his only experience is in the Championship. Then people say people like Benitez and that’s just insane. The fact is, the only managers we can attract are the journeymen or those up and coming ones with something to prove. The top managers will all move to a CL club somewhere.

Sure, we could have competed for someone like Laudrup but many like him have failed.

I say we should stick until a top manager becomes interested for some reason or Pardew proved himself to be incapable of delivering consecutive top 10 finishes..

• 104 Crow59 // Jul 31, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Matty

I couldnt give a monkey if he runs 50 miles a day and scores bicycle kicks in training, I see the under achieving qualities he brings to the pitch week in week out.
    Or is your point that marv or hba can play there?? In that case marv needs to be played through the middle and hba the same or on the right. Goofys not a natural winger either and i feel that is a position we need to strengthen. Jonas isnt even good enough for the bench imo

• 105 Shadow_Shearer // Jul 31, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Wish Bobby Robson passed on his football knowledge to a geordie rather than Mourinho.

• 106 JackButler // Jul 31, 2013 at 1:27 PM

ToonDarnSarf

Benitez said himself that he was interested in going to a club hat had to be run on a tight budget so it’s not such an insane thing to say. As for Poyet, he’d be just as much a risk as sticking with Pardew imo as he’s never managed at this level before.

You simply cannot just wait for a top manager to become interested in coming here, we have to go out and get them to come here, there are far better managers than Pardew that have to work with squad that are far inferior to ours who would jump at the chance of coming here, but for that to happen our owner has to show ambition which he simply will not do.

As it stands now we spend to survive and not to succeed

• 107 daztoon // Jul 31, 2013 at 1:34 PM

R.I.P the legend that is Sir Bobby
    I’m sure the great man will be shaking his head at all the amateurish people running the club he loves.

• 108 Rotonda heights // Jul 31, 2013 at 1:36 PM

JB

The big difference is Poyet wouldn’t just play his favourites regardless of form, wouldn’t play players out of position, wouldn’t play hoofball, wouldn’t try and hold on to our occasional 1-0 leads etc etc

• 109 Transfer Sage // Jul 31, 2013 at 1:36 PM

TDS

there will be plenty managers interested…just need to go out and get them, don’t need to be big names but just good managers.

Plenty who are good at lower levels, just need to scout them thoroughly to find those who look best suited to succeed at a higher level. Even top managers are a gamble…get some who win world cups and leagues then move and sacked within a year. Every appointment is a risk no matter how proven they are. We just need to find the balance least risk for the best reward. It requires football people to work on it not money men like ashley and llambias were.

• 110 JackButler // Jul 31, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Rotonda

Maybe so but he’d still be a risk without any experience at this level……maybe he’d be the perfect man for the job but we’ll never know.

I want rid of Pardew as much as anyone, but it has to be for the right man otherwise we’ll end up exactly where we are now

• 111 JackButler // Jul 31, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Real Madrid have already selling Gareth Bale merchandise

• 112 Rooster // Jul 31, 2013 at 1:45 PM

At this moment in the history of football, money is king simple as, fair play rules????? whos taking any notice of them?? not Platini now that the French are cashing in on the situation, Man citys squad is frightening like Chelsea like Man utd, 30 million here 40 million there, 150k a week 200k a week 250k a week in wages, its pretty sickening to say the least, these clubs are not particulary great clubs are they, well Man Utd to be fair will prosper in any situation because of their commerciality they are truly a massive football club.

Chelsea and man city on a level playing field are no bigger than NUFC for sure, Liverpool have a bigger worldwide fan base than us Chelsea and man city put together, and man utd have a bigger fan base than all the rest put together around the world!!

We are doing it the business way, yea I know its bloody exhausting isn’t it, we are on a steady footing but wringing the las drop of business out of every situation is soul destroying most of the time, this window has been the most frustrating ever even by our standards, its certainly waring me out.

Take away the Arabs and the Ruskies and we would be in a very good place, unfortunately they are here for a while yet arnt they!?! if the plug ever gets pulled though the stench would be incredible, would the cream then rise to the top? yea, all hearsay isn’t it.

AP saying now he is more than happy with the squad as it stands hums quite a bit dosnt it, for your sake it better be Alan, you are getting closer to the back of the wall and the firing squad will be gathering!!!

Are we happy just to be in mid table to retain premiership status, it looks more like it dosnt it, JK saying champs league is the target, oh Jesus, well get yourself to the bookies and get yourself a 1000,1

Weird fella to say the least is our JK, im feeling more like this tenure will move on to pastures new within 18 month and give Rangers their time, that said we as a club wont be in the dogs whatsoever, just the next chapter, but we are the CREAM!

• 113 Markaccus // Jul 31, 2013 at 1:47 PM

Jack

Love it!

• 114 Ibizatoon // Jul 31, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Don’t tell me JackButler is still having his Pardew love in? :)

How’s it going lads and lasses? Any reasons out there to be cheerful?

On thread, can’t believe it’s that day again, what a truly inspiring man and footballing great. Missed even at the best of times. RIP Sir Bobby.

• 115 JackButler // Jul 31, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Ibiza

I have a really bromance with Pardew as you know :D

• 116 Transfer Sage // Jul 31, 2013 at 1:50 PM

rooster

I dont expect us to compete financialy with those clubs you mention.

But it would be nice if ashley could just invest a little extra himself, maybe 10/20/30 mil, just to give us a boost to the next level then continue to spend within means after. Just a boost to get going like companies get when they start up with a bank loan.

I dont want masses of money but i don think it’s important to spend some. Got to ask are swansea, west ham, etc gambling their future or are they spending a fair amount and we are under spending.

• 117 JackButler // Jul 31, 2013 at 1:53 PM

Skeling mestake eveywher, dam you fone

• 118 Ibizatoon // Jul 31, 2013 at 1:54 PM

JB…I wish you both the best as always mate, just hope you can handle him playing favourites with Jonas and aren’t the jealous type…

So, apart from the normal “are we / aren’t we” getting any players, has there been any actual news about incomings that is even worth hearing?

• 119 JackButler // Jul 31, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Ibiza

Yes mate we are after Mevlüt Erdinç………………again :D

Panic button has been firmly pressed if true

• 120 JackButler // Jul 31, 2013 at 1:56 PM

• 121 Ibizatoon // Jul 31, 2013 at 1:57 PM

JB….Almost perfect, but come on…”you”? Get with the times, it’s u.

TS…It doesn’t look too great so far and memories of there’s still time in the window from last summer are still fresh…I am still trying to wait until the window closes before making judgement. Still plenty of business can be done….a little bit of me just died typing that :)

So, a question for you Geordies out there. Why is it every Geordie I meet here is looking for a medical centre and can’t remember how they hurt themselves?

• 122 Transfer Sage // Jul 31, 2013 at 1:59 PM

ibiza

I agree, ideally get players in early but as long as they come in this window i’m ok with it.

• 123 Ibizatoon // Jul 31, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Scary deja vu going on now mate…Erdinc, now I’m starting to really worry that no one is coming :)

• 124 Ibizatoon // Jul 31, 2013 at 2:01 PM

TS…Good man for keeping some rationality, it’s not easy.

Only one month of torture left.

• 125 ~Joke-innear~ // Jul 31, 2013 at 2:03 PM

Ibiza,

I have it on good authority that we will put in a last minute bid for some fella called Bryan Ruiz.

• 126 Rooster // Jul 31, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Sage, without doubt, it would be great if our little EMP, as Philip Green calls him could subside a bit more transfer wise, he said at one stage he would to the tune of 20 million didn’t he, that aint happening though, we play hard ball its bloody exhausting though, and the patteren looks like it has in the past wi cisse debuchy mbiwa sissoko that we will be waiting to make our most significant signings, its a gamble again it so nearly backfired last season, I for onr have no great faith certainly in Pardew and his over cautious football philosophy even though it may keep him in a job, bloody awful to watch, we cruised last night to an extent but the mindset and the way we play still meant St Mirren put us under quite a bit of pressure, why cant we just keep pushing on in a game instead of shutting up shop, its the same old same old, I hate the way he sets us up, and still not one consistant 90 mins in a very long time, if we don’t bring anyone in then 55 points at the very max and MA should be happy with that it looks like then more bully from the club, we mnay be financially sound, but am still depressed over quite a few issues, and I have supported MA.

• 127 Ibizatoon // Jul 31, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Joke-innear….Maybe two last minute bids and throw one in for N’Zogbia too?

Heck, maybe they’ll feel adventurous and throw in a last minute bid to cash strapped Barcelona and try and snatch Messi for £10m…

• 128 Transfer Sage // Jul 31, 2013 at 2:08 PM

rooster

I only have 2 issues with the transfer policy.

1. timing – we wait too long to save insignificant amounts of money ( saving 5mil i can see why they wait but for 500k/1mil, its not worth waiting when we have little cover). Buying and selling is done at the wrong times.

2. age, all good teams have older players in them…we seem to want rid when we still get value or dont buy anyone too old….i think players like berbatov for a low fee would have been good for us, nice option to have

• 129 ~Joke-innear~ // Jul 31, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Surely with our regime, we wouldn’t be as daft as to leave everything to the last minute, one player I can accept.. but last minute bids for two players?

Now what kinda circus act would even contemplate doing that?

10million for Messi? Perhaps. To sweeten the deal, why not we offer them our prolific forward, Shola. 3 goals so far, the man is a goal scoring machine. He would put the current forwards at Barcelona to shame.

• 130 Ibizatoon // Jul 31, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Joke-innear….Good point, it wouldn’t really fit in with the way our club operates to leave it all to the last minute, what was I thinking?

Include Shola in the Messi deal? I’d say we’d be in the exact same situation, but it’s probably more like going backwards.

Shola is about 25% towards last seasons top scorer tally…Bet he feels a golden boot coming his way soon.

• 131 ~Joke-innear~ // Jul 31, 2013 at 2:22 PM

But Ameobi is really getting old, I doubt he will reach this rich vein of form he has found himself in ever again.

I really feel that by taking a small loss and adding him to a 10million offer for Messi would benefit us more in the long term.

• 132 Ben3arfa // Jul 31, 2013 at 2:33 PM

So that moron Kinnear still hasnt signed us any players

I got stick a couple weeks back for wishing hed suffer a heart attack

though i was wrong to do so, wouldnt be surprised of more people started wishing the same pretty soon

• 133 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 31, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Ben3Arfa,
    Why would more people wish that? Cause we haven’t signed anyone? What a stupid comment. It is football, why anyone would wish something like that on someone because of sport is beyond me, and in bad taste.

• 134 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jul 31, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Good afternoon Ibiza :-) how’s it hanging?…wait don’t answer that lol

…so Joke is still not doing his job I can see (maybe he is playing FM to scout players and see if they are any good :-) )

• 135 Macas // Jul 31, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Ben3Arfa – You say you were wrong to do so yet it didn’t stop you saying the exact same thing on a few other occasions after that. And now that we still haven’t signed anyone you want others to feel the same as you? Calling him a moron is fine, but wishing a heart attack on a guy is totally sick

• 136 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 31, 2013 at 2:45 PM

I know you apologised last time Ben3, just keep that sort of thing to yourself though, especially as this post is in Sir Bobby’s memory, I doubt he would approve of that sort of thing!

On Sir Bobby, he popped into the North Terrace pub once, after receiving an award from the Uni. Lovely bloke, stood chatted to punters, bought a few drinks, posed for photos. Top bloke, and one rightly held in highest esteem by all those his love for the game and life touched.

Rest in Peace Bobby. Best wishes to Lady Elsie today as well.

• 137 DokToon // Jul 31, 2013 at 2:48 PM

gmorning all,

no way messi is worth 10 mil… MA would tell him its 6.7 or nothing… :)

• 138 WWYCD // Jul 31, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Football legend and best manager I’ve ever known to coach NUFC never a bad thing to remember this man

• 139 DokToon // Jul 31, 2013 at 2:49 PM

jesper, its quite ok to ask ibiza how its hanging… with alll the girls in bikinis there, it should NEVER be hanging lol

• 140 IITianToon // Jul 31, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Quite a deja vu indeed.. Next thing you hear is that a player by the name of Barneta has checked into the Jesmond hotel hoping to sign for us! :P

• 141 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jul 31, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Dok…maybe theywere a bit too much for him ;)

…he is in bad shape and all that with smoking, drinking, no sleep and too much work (and not to the stress of being a NUFC supporter)

• 142 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jul 31, 2013 at 2:56 PM

*not to mention

• 143 Indian Magpie // Jul 31, 2013 at 2:56 PM

All summer

Qpr have wanted to sell Remy
    Villa wanted to sell Bent
    Lyon wanted to sell gomis

and we cannot bid for any of them

What a bunch of Bufons

• 144 Indian Magpie // Jul 31, 2013 at 2:59 PM

We supposedly bid more than 13 million for Aubameyang but do not have money for anyone else!

• 145 DokToon // Jul 31, 2013 at 3:03 PM

jesper,

biza shouldve asked the girls for a lively game of ring toss, lmao…

yes, being a NUFC supporter does add years to ones life along with hair loss, and in insane desire to run full speed into a wall with ones head.

• 146 Rotonda heights // Jul 31, 2013 at 3:10 PM

Dok toon,

Not just me then!! I’m sure I could put a lot of my stress and depression down to following NUFC!!

• 147 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jul 31, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Dok…did Ibiz run off scared or did I hear the bikini girl calling :-D

• 148 Goodfella // Jul 31, 2013 at 3:12 PM

One Bobby Robson there’s only one Bobby Robson, one Bobby Robson. LEGEND!

• 149 DokToon // Jul 31, 2013 at 3:13 PM

jesper, she wasnt calling him, she was shrieking at him :)

rotunda, its a direct link… also, my vaca days are used for matches, not for family vacatrions or emergencies, lol

• 150 G.unit // Jul 31, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Indian Magpie

If reports are to be believed we have bid for Gomis, it’s just been turned down for now.

Also, again if reports are to be believed, we are speaking to QPR about getting Remy on loan/permanant deal!

Who says we have got no money for anyone else??

• 151 gus3232 // Jul 31, 2013 at 3:17 PM

according to ssn fulham leading chase to get bent

• 152 Belfast // Jul 31, 2013 at 3:24 PM

This Gomis stuff is getting really boring now. One minute the fee is the problem, next minute it’s his wages. Nobody has a clue what’s happening.

Another long drawn out saga.

• 153 toonarmydownsouth // Jul 31, 2013 at 3:24 PM

TDS
    Sorry for very very late reply!

Ok so what do I want realistacly from the club?
    -Strengthening
    Obviously CF is a massive priority and one I think has been since Ba left, if Remy is a target then one CF simply isn’t enough as I’d imagine he’d be used either wide of a front 3 or as a partner so would still leave a huge lack of competition on the bench so we’d need gomis aswell

A creative midfielder or winger would be nice but highly unlikely

A competent DOF, this summer is surely a acid test for JFK and so far we’ve missed out on a confirmed target so if we miss out on bent/gomis/remy he will have failed in his duty and should be replaced with someone more suited and far more in touch with the modern game than this dinosaur

Coaching
    It seem’s as though pardew is addressing this and re shuffling the pack as it were to perhaps freshen the approach and bringing in Faye is a positive step however I still feel methods of carver and stone are out dated and they should be replaced or have more coaches come in to work alongside them

Youth
    Sounds like we have finally achieved cat one, which is fantastic, now expansion needs to begin on the quality of player we bring in to the youth academy and we should now be adding players

Sensible loan deals for these youth players is a must, our current policy is an absolute joke
    To late to send players out when there 20 need to get these lads on loan at 18 to league 1 then progress them into the championship, not loan them to league1/2 teams when there 21/22

Communicating the clubs targets
    This is abysmal and has been since Mr.Ashley took over
    He seems to change his targets every season which to me undermines his 5 year plan and gives the impression he’s simply blagging it

An experienced MD
    Not another of his pals

I don’t feel these are unrealistic

Now for the arguement that he’s correctly running this club as a business
    I simply can’t agree
    He’s acting more like a short term trouble shooter bought in to balance the books than someone with a long term plan for the club
    Business is about supply and demand, selling your product
    He’s failing to do that
    The fans are the clientele of his business but he shows no interest in listening or showing any firm of intent to improve the product they pay thousands to watch every year

He has stated his intentions were to have this club in and around Europe, competing at the highest level each and every season
    So why should we now settle for top 10?

I also don’t agree with because he bought the clubs debts he shouldn’t invest
    Comet was bought for a pound due to the huge debts but its not like they stop stocking there high end products because they have had to buy the companies debt!

IMHO his plan has stalled and is now stagnating, he’s changing his targets based solely on the previous season

You stated earlier that he can’t be blamed for pardews performance leading to the farce of last season
    Yes he can, he has the authority and power to do something to stop the rot

Also as sage and prodigy have stated several times there is no logical reason we can’t get a top CF or top manager
    A top CF would pay for himself at a club like this they would easily make any fee back in merchandise sales and a top manager in numerous leagues would jump at the chance to take on a challenge like the toon
    No way are we stuck with purely journeymen that sadly is only the case because MA wants it to be

This just opinion, but I think it’s sad to read how low fan expectation has dropped, a club can only be as ambitious as its owner

• 154 ~Joke-innear~ // Jul 31, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Its simple really… JFK is on a zero hour contract and Ashley hasn’t given him any hours.

• 155 Goodfella // Jul 31, 2013 at 3:28 PM

http://www.nufc.co.uk/articles/20130731/united-confirm-plans-for-sir-bobbys-day_2281670_3333246? :)

• 156 low fell mag // Jul 31, 2013 at 3:37 PM

Fat Freddy @ Sir John ( the con man),hang your heads in shame.
    Not only did you sack Keegan,sell our club down the Tyne then sack the great SIR Bobby.
    Hang your heads in shame!

• 157 toonarmydownsouth // Jul 31, 2013 at 3:39 PM

@GFN_France: Lyon President Aulas has ruled out a Gomis-Gignac swap. #OL #OM

@Alexl100: @nufcfans SSN earlier saying Defoe would be allowed to leave Spurs for £6mil, surely better than Bent for the money?!

• 158 wolfshead@toon // Jul 31, 2013 at 3:39 PM

if my memory serves me correctly there were a hell of a lot of fans that wanted bobby sacked that season? they said he was too old and was losing the plot

• 159 Ibizatoon // Jul 31, 2013 at 3:39 PM

Jesper and Dok…thanks for the concern over my…ermmm…game of hoopla :) No bikini girls this week…just in pursuit of the one at the minute. Enjoying your summer lads?

• 160 viv // Jul 31, 2013 at 3:39 PM

Kevin Keegan is the true legend. Without him NUFC would be like Leeds. He didn’t buy crap like the rest all his buys were the real deal.

• 161 Ben3arfa // Jul 31, 2013 at 3:40 PM

Looks like we’re even gonna miss out on the overrated Darren Bent lol

• 162 viv // Jul 31, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Idiot @157 that is full of Gut-wind!

• 163 Ben3arfa // Jul 31, 2013 at 3:42 PM

And yes Kinnear is an arrogant moron

I generally dislike arrogant people

• 164 Goodfella // Jul 31, 2013 at 3:45 PM

We should go for Defoe he’s a guarantee to score 10 to 15 goals a season, I think him and Cisse would work well together and if they were to hit form at the same time that would be immense.

• 165 HullMag6 // Jul 31, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Amen Sir Bobby

Your club and your fans miss you dearly
    The football world lost a legend, a gentleman and who should be an inspiration to us all.

He probably wouldve been ashamed of some of the off colour posts lately on this blog.

Debate and defending your position is fine but excessive venom is not.

One club one faith Howay The Lads.

• 166 Our Toon // Jul 31, 2013 at 3:48 PM

First time i’ve commented lads but been a long time reader. I personally don’t like what is happening to my beloved NUFC and have not renewed my season ticket as a protest to this regime we currently have in place.

Points for both arguments regarding spending or lack of:

1) We as a club save £20m a year ands thats with the interest free loan we owe to the fat one, thats what Ashley meant when he said he would put £20m into the toon every year (even though he isn’t physically putting anything in, but saving us from paying it)

2) People on here commenting that we should become self sufficient, debt free etc bottom line is that we are in a minority aiming for self sustainabilty in the premier league, look at the financials of every club…..they are all in debt (Swansea and Norwich being the exception) although Swansea and Norwich will now be heading towards debt for this season….bottom line lets be the only club in the league that is profitable, makes absolutely no sense….we are tight fisted and spend less than what some championship clubs spend FACT, we will never achieve anything with this regime except relegation (which equates to losses) whilst we save everyone else spends!!

sorry for the rant

• 167 WWYCD // Jul 31, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Honestly don’t know any mag who would bad mouth Sir Bobby

Tbh it’s rare to find a football fan in general who would bad mouth him

• 168 daztoon // Jul 31, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Fat Freddie should have moved Sir Bobby to DOF.Sacking him was criminal the man deserved better.

• 169 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jul 31, 2013 at 3:50 PM

Ibiza…doing great lad :-D

…what about you? So you are pursuit you say? Do tell do tell ;-)

• 170 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 31, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Wolfshead,
    I wonder how many would admit to wanting SBR out?

I’ll be honest, I would have liked him moved upstairs in a dignified manner at the beginning of the summer with a new manager in place and have the benefit of SBR’s guidance. I felt that he had taken us as far as he could, and for his health as well, the time had come to take a step back.

As it was, the way that he was removed from post was shocking and the choice of replacement wasalmost as bad. Not befitting a man like Sir Bobby.

• 171 toonarmydownsouth // Jul 31, 2013 at 3:52 PM

Yo
    No mag would mate, no mag would
    Oh except viv, but we all no viv isn’t a mag

• 172 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Jul 31, 2013 at 3:53 PM

*in pursuit

• 173 DokToon // Jul 31, 2013 at 3:54 PM

ibiza,

alls well and hotter than hell here… pursuit of one??? who are you and WTH have you done with our ibiza????/ :)

• 174 Ibizatoon // Jul 31, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Jesper…I’m getting pretty tired now, half wanting the summer to be over, but then I go outside again :)

I’m guessing the majority on here down want to hear about my summer pursuit, so I’ll send you a message when I’m not running around. In the meantime, keep your fingers crossed for me.

So…no one signed yet? Was convinced if I went away for an hour there would be some news…

• 175 Ibizatoon // Jul 31, 2013 at 3:58 PM

And now Dok….I suppose it’s expected, you being in Texas and all :)

The blogs Ibiza is dead, this is the new, not really improved one.

Anyway, back to the task at hand…catch you guys later

• 176 Bearsize // Jul 31, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Some yank on ssn has just said he would be interested in buying a prem team. He owns a NFL team and loaded. Please buy us we need you!

• 177 DokToon // Jul 31, 2013 at 3:59 PM

guess ill keep the fence warm :)

• 178 wolfshead@toon // Jul 31, 2013 at 4:00 PM

lilongwe

i agree definately should have been given an ambassadorial post at the least he really did know every manager here and in many countries around the world

• 179 ~Joke-innear~ // Jul 31, 2013 at 4:00 PM

If that yank is anything like Liverpool’s owners… we won’t really improve as a whole…

those are the clowns that green lighted a 100million spending spree on flops. downing. henderson, Carroll etc

• 180 DokToon // Jul 31, 2013 at 4:01 PM

bear , what club does he own? im in the states and would love to know, so i can tell you if hes full of sh!te…

• 181 WWYCD // Jul 31, 2013 at 4:01 PM

toonarmydownsouth
    He one of the standard WUMs on here like? I lose track

• 182 luke.r // Jul 31, 2013 at 4:01 PM

I really don’t see who people want as the manager if Pardew left.

I’ve said it before and i’ll say it again, he had a great first season and has helped bring in some excellent players to the club and he deserves another chance.

Because of the hiring of JFK, who decided to take a holiday instead of getting straight to work, we still haven’t brought any players in. And with a squad that everyone knows isn’t strong enough, Pardew has got to carry on with what he has got and there is nothing he can do.

The real problem is obviously our owner. Now to be fair he has finally got the club back on a good financial footing however he lacks the football know how to take this club forward and keep it up.

And for everyone says we need to stop buying foreign players as it is hurting the club, we need to look at the real problem. The reason we have to keep buying is because our academy just isn’t creating good enough talent and so we have to look abroad. Our academy needs a proper good shake up so we can get this club back on track!

Don’t get me wrong, i’m not Pardew’s biggest fan and I know the sun doesn’t shine out of his arse, but at the moment hes the best we’ve got and he deserves our support.

• 183 IITianToon // Jul 31, 2013 at 4:03 PM

@Dok yeah I heard.. one of my friends who landed in Houston said its as hot as Delhi!! DAMN!

No news so far then.. but seriously Carr’s list has just Gomis and Remy.. I mean, why stop acquisition of other young prospects just because the so-called maquee signing is held up..

• 184 Goodfella // Jul 31, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Doktoon
    The San Fran 49’s I think.

• 185 toonarmydownsouth // Jul 31, 2013 at 4:04 PM

@GFN_France: Le 10 Sport claim that West Ham have entered the race for Loic Remy. #NUFC #WHUFC #QPR

@talkSPORT: Exclusive – Neville Southall warns Everton against signing Joey Barton, who he compares to Forrest Gump! http://t.co/PB40QHyJ3T #efc
    Lol

And lol!
    @CNarr07: Breaking: Rivals threaten to hijack #nufc Gomis bid. Gomis spotted with Sunderland squad at #safc training ground. http://t.co/2AEDenV6F7

• 186 Bearsize // Jul 31, 2013 at 4:07 PM

John york co chairman of 49ers. He said he could be approched or he could look for one himself and is definitely considering it. 49ers play wembley soon so will be in town

• 187 DokToon // Jul 31, 2013 at 4:07 PM

tian… yeah, its why i spendmuch of my time in my local with AC,lol… got your email.. looking forward to watching a few toon matches with you!

goodfella, if thats the case, then NUFC would be in great shape.. hes a quality owner, and we’d be lucky to have him… let me make a call, maybe i can get a job if he buys us lol…

• 188 wolfshead@toon // Jul 31, 2013 at 4:12 PM

overseas owners only buy ‘glamour’ clubs and we arent really haha

• 189 Goodfella // Jul 31, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Doktoon
    Lol you make that call mate and put in a good word about the toon :)

• 190 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 31, 2013 at 4:15 PM

TADS

Wow…a mega response! I’d be rude not to reply…

Strengthening – I completely agree. I want to see us sign 1 striker and 1 striker/attacking midfielder/winger. However…I wonder if Vuckic and Gosling may be lined up for the latter so we only end up with 1 striker.

DoF – I agree with you if JFK doesn’t bring in the players that we need. But I think if you look at some DoFs then they have a similar profile to JFK.

Coaching – I’m glad you haven’t jumped on the bandwagon and demanded foreign coaches…but yeah, I agree that lessons need to be learned here. At least Big Sam would have this area sorted out had he stayed.

Youth – actually…we have no official confirmation of cat one being granted or when it was to my knowledge. We were in the under-21 league last season and we’re in it again this season. As far as I know, approval was granted 6 months ago or we could still be awaiting the final decision. Weird.

Loan deals – the time to send a player out on loan is different for every player, it’s not a standard rule. And the problem is that we’ve needed players to round out our squad. Hopefully we are in a better place now and we did use loans better last season (Dummett, Newton, Fergie, Sammy) and have already started this season (Tav, Fergie, Abeid).

Communication
    There have been some improvements here and it’s about time!

Experienced MD
    We may actually not need anyone here. With JFK as DoF, we also have an FD and people fulfilling various other senior roles. If MA is acting as chairman then maybe he has enough people at that level for now.

You say that the fans are the clientele of the business…but I’m afraid it’s not that simple any more. Clients are those people who pay money for a service and the majority of revenue these days comes from the sponsors and the TV companies. So his primary role as a business owner is to keep us in the PL and therefore keep these companies as his “clients”. We (the fans) obviously still generate a large amount of revenue for his club, hence the improvements in communication are vital. I think the “product” is improving and I hope it will improve in style this season with our creative players being fit and hopefully on form.

As for his intentions, well he screwed up royally there, no doubt about that. I seem to remember that when he bought the club he was talking about subsidising the club to the tune of £20M a season and he seemed to enjoy being one of the lads. Maybe if he hadn’t been over-eager, then he could have made some sensible appointments and we could have signed some top players and really pushed on from where we were at the time. Instead, the KK/DW debacle set us back several years. If that was an MD who had made those decisions, then he would probably have been sacked, but it was the owner so he’s hardly going to sack himself…the best thing he could do was learn from his mistakes and I think his decisions have made sense every since. The weirdest would be JFK but if it wasn’t for his initial outburst then I wouldn’t have a problem with him.

I really disagree with many statements about potential replacement managers though. I think the suggestion of Poyet is frankly crazy. Sure, he could turn out to be a cracking manager but there’s no evidence that this would be the case and he could turn out to be awful. I just don’t think it’s sensible to risk it as long as we are reaching our targets. As for the top managers in the world…how many of them are currently managing a club that aren’t in the CL or at least aren’t going to be challenging for it.

Pardew is our manager now and I think we should get top 8. Considering the squads, the financial muscle and the managers of the top 6, we’d need a manager of the calibre of Fergie or SBR to break into it this coming season.

So yes, a top striker (like Remy or Gomis) would be great. I think we will struggle to get the absolutely best (like PEA) because other teams will have CL football and higher budgets, but we can still get an excellent striker good enough to push the top 6.

But we need to stick with Pardew for now. I don’t know why people are still banging that drum to be honest. My view is really quite simple. I expect to get into the top 8 and I don’t care who is manager, I expect the same. If Pardew is bottom half in December and way behind the top 8, then I will want him to go. If he finishes outside the top 8 (not by just a point or two) at the end of the season then I want him to go too.

• 191 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 31, 2013 at 4:18 PM

TADS

Slight amendment to the cat one academy situation as I looked it up afterwards…Joe Joyce said that a decision was expected in June, but we didn’t hear anything until the under-21 fixtures came out last week. So this could have been decided several weeks ago or we could potentially actually still be pending the appeal decision.

• 192 Black and White with an army lol // Jul 31, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Rooster@112

where on earth did you get that Liverpool have a bigger fan base than Newcastle, Chelsea & Ma city, hate to burst your bubble mate but Newcastle are among the top 10 clubs around the world for fan base around the world, whilst Liverpool are in the top 20

• 193 wolfshead@toon // Jul 31, 2013 at 4:18 PM

tds

il put that post on my kindle and read it later haha ;-)

• 194 colwell // Jul 31, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Do we actually have any money?

Ok we bid for PEA and Gomis, Pea didn’t want too come and Gomis has been rejected.

The players we are trying to buy aren’t exactly hard too get. All of their teams want them out.

We had one bid accepted (Kone) and almost straight away withdrew it.

• 195 Yohan Kebab // Jul 31, 2013 at 4:24 PM

does anyone still think that ba and cisse could have been oh so prolific if they worked together for the team instead of trying to prove whos better :(

• 196 kevymartins // Jul 31, 2013 at 4:24 PM

@B&W They certainly have a bigger fan base in ireland anyway, I say they would have a bigger fan base like.

• 197 Yohan Kebab // Jul 31, 2013 at 4:26 PM

we are 13th in the world liverpool are 7th, they are more supported in terms of numbers than us

• 198 Lilongwe Geordie // Jul 31, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Black and White with a Lol,
    Trust me, I have travelled pretty extensively through Asia, Africa and South America, and there are many many more Liverpool fans than Newcastle. Man U comfortably top, then probably close between Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea.

You very rarely meet NUFC fans. It has been a lonely existence travelling as a toon fan!

• 199 colwell // Jul 31, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Black and White with an army lol

According to Talksport we are in the top 20, we are 13th with 6m fans worldwide.

Liverpool are 7th with 71m.

• 200 gonufc (not Arf' bad) // Jul 31, 2013 at 4:28 PM

@ToonDarnSarf – I wouldn’t call Gomis a ‘top striker’ by a long way.

I think unless we buy more than one player we should aim for top 12- I just can’t see higher than that as realistic if we only buy one average striker like Bent/ Gomis.

• 201 wolfshead@toon // Jul 31, 2013 at 4:28 PM

kebab

ba has gone just remember the good times like me sniff sniff lol

• 202 Dannyo // Jul 31, 2013 at 4:31 PM

@WWYCD
    You don’t find people badmouthing SBR now, but you’d find them the season we started with 5 or 6 losses on the trot, which resulted in Shepard firing him due to the outrage from fickle fans.
    Oh how they wish they used common sense…

So extremely few have a memory that goes beyond a week. Or rather, it seems there’s few due to them using that common sense and not cause an outrage.

• 203 Yohan Kebab // Jul 31, 2013 at 4:32 PM

:( i want ba backkkk

• 204 kevymartins // Jul 31, 2013 at 4:33 PM

@Wolfshead nufc fans sang the demba ba song so loud and well too. Na na na na na na na ,demba demba ba ,demba ba , demba demba baaaaaaaaa.

Chelsea fans wouldn’t even chant his name, he shouldn’t have left us. At least he was appreciated with us.

• 205 toonarmydownsouth // Jul 31, 2013 at 4:39 PM

TDS
    Well I thought you deserved at the very least a half thought out reply like! :)

Seems we’re not to far apart on what we think the club needs to do to progress!

On the youth, maybe not the age, as you say each player is different, but certainly the standard of the league we send them to, it’s great for clubs like Gateshead to have us as a resource but does it really benefit the youth players going on loan there? Or league 1? I’m not so sure

On pardew
    Maybe I should of worded it differently
    I don’t want pardew sacked
    The time to sack him would of been December last year, Ashley made his choice so that’s fine
    I’m not sure if I’d be happy to wait quiet so long as December this season, 10 games maybe? But he certainly deserves the chance to make up for last season

• 206 wolfshead@toon // Jul 31, 2013 at 4:39 PM

kevy

i dont blame him he was just after a pay rise and a deserved one have to put that mistake down to ashley as well not that i want to start off an old argument haha

• 207 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 31, 2013 at 4:42 PM

wolfshead

I thought TADS deserved a proper reply after his own novel!

• 208 toonarmydownsouth // Jul 31, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Kevy
    Ba had a chance to play for the European champions and I can’t blame the lad for that

Would love to see him pulling on the black and white stripes again though!

• 209 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 31, 2013 at 4:44 PM

gonufc

Gomis is still a borderline CL level striker. I think that’s what people mean when they are bandying around the term “top striker”. We’re clearly not in the market for a Rooney or a Falcao.

And I still think we should be getting top 8. If we don’t, then that’s a failure of the management IMO and that definitely means Pardew and/or JFK.

• 210 gonufc (not Arf' bad) // Jul 31, 2013 at 4:47 PM

ToonDarnSarf – you really think Gomis is that good? Just because he played for a champions league team doesn’t make him that level.

Ambrose from Celtic could be classed the same way and he is absolutely abysmal.

• 211 kevymartins // Jul 31, 2013 at 4:49 PM

@Tads Shearer once had the chance to play for man utd, and said he doesn’t regret choosing nufc over them one bit.

But then again that was Shearer there will never be another wor Alan

• 212 toonarmydownsouth // Jul 31, 2013 at 4:49 PM

@NUFC_Stats: Rémy deserves a second chance with NUFC

By @seedorf77

#nufc

• 213 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 31, 2013 at 4:49 PM

TADS

I never thought we were too far away from our views on the club. That’s why I thought we should just lay it all out there!

The Gateshead thing is a little odd, and I’m no expert, but at least in terms of preparation and fitness then it gives a young player a feel for what it takes to play a competitive match once or twice a week. Sure, I can’t imagine that the skill level is too high so I don’t expect our very best youngsters to go there, but maybe to toughen one up a bit?

Glad we agree on Pardew too. I’m not so sure I would have sacked him last December as he’d just come off a 5th place finish and the injuries were substantial, but I’m glad we agree on what happens now.

I say December because that gives time to get a new man in who can make some tweaks in January, but yeah, if we start off terribly in the first 10 games (barring horrendous luck with injuries to Cabaye, Krul, Colo, Cisse, Ben Arfa, Debuchy and Sissoko AT THE SAME TIME), then I won’t shed any tears if he gets sacked.

• 214 WWYCD // Jul 31, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Dannyo
    True but I mean these days he’s a very highly respected individual in football and the footballing world still mourns his passing

• 215 toonarmydownsouth // Jul 31, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Kevy
    Demba Ba wasn’t born in Gosforth though!!!

• 216 toonarmydownsouth // Jul 31, 2013 at 4:53 PM

TDS
    Of course though I’d only want him moved on if we actually interviewed and scout a proper replacement……..not JFK!

• 217 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 31, 2013 at 4:55 PM

gonufc

He looks good enough from what I’ve seen. But I’ll put more faith in Carr than my own judgement from my memory of an odd European game or anything I read or see on YouTube.

Basically, if the club are genuinely after a player, then I want us to get him. We need a striker so I want us to get one that Carr, JFK and Pardew all want. Simple really.

• 218 alreetlike // Jul 31, 2013 at 4:56 PM

I wish we could have one of these days again!

• 219 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 31, 2013 at 4:57 PM

TADS

Hell yes! In normal circumstances I’d say that it’s great that we have JFK because he could step in as caretaker manager while we found the right man. But that would mean that JFK would be talking to the press again and there’s always the risk that he gets the job permanently!

Let’s hope his doctor has made it clear to him that he can never manage again…

• 220 jazzyp // Jul 31, 2013 at 4:59 PM

afternoon all.
    Tads-@157 totally agree with the choosing Defoe over Bent for the same price.Apart from Fulham not one single PL team has come in for Bent which I think says a lot about the player.
    just checking to see if there has been any more news on supposed medicals booked in for today,Or was that for Kinnears health plan !!

• 221 G // Jul 31, 2013 at 5:06 PM

I really hoped after spending a day offline there would be some big news today. Last night there were rumours all over twitter / and the forums that JFK was at Loftus Road doing a bit of negotiating (or swearing loudly as its also known). Looks like that was a load of bo**ocks as well then?

• 222 gonufc (not Arf' bad) // Jul 31, 2013 at 5:08 PM

@ToonDarnSarf – How do we know Carr even has anything to do with it? JK is the one in charge now for all we know.

I guess we don’t even know if any of this is real/ ever meant to actually come off.

• 223 nut meg // Jul 31, 2013 at 5:13 PM

TDS @189
    Somebody on here a couple of days ago said that we now have cat 1 for the academy,it was on the FA website & there is now only league for the under 21s. NUFC didn’t bother to announce it.

• 224 jazzyp // Jul 31, 2013 at 5:15 PM

Le 10 Sport claim that West Ham have entered the race for Loic Remy. #NUFC #WHUFC .
    Fulham the favourite for Bent according to SSn.
    Marseille after a swap deal between Gignac and Gomis.
    Pea gone to Dortmund.
    Siem de jong staying with Ajax.
    I would say it has been a pretty good transfer window up to yet lads wouldn’t you !!

• 225 ~Joke-innear~ // Jul 31, 2013 at 5:24 PM

I heard Lyon turned down the swap deal.

• 226 hotdog // Jul 31, 2013 at 5:25 PM

And another one’s gone, another one’s gone, another day bites the dust.

• 227 Markaccus // Jul 31, 2013 at 5:32 PM

WTF does sergio ramos look like with that hair. What a total penis!

• 228 nut meg // Jul 31, 2013 at 5:33 PM

WOULD SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP JOE TO OPEN HIS PHONE BOOK !!

• 229 numba9 // Jul 31, 2013 at 5:35 PM

THE special 1 S B R thank you sir true football man true love would have given his right arm for us to win .take a note Ashley

• 230 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 31, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Watched a bit of the Shearer unveiling video…

Oh if only we had an owner who speaks with the passion and class of SJH, a manager who speaks with the passion of KK or SBR and a striker who plays with the passion and ability of Alan Shearer…

• 231 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 31, 2013 at 5:39 PM

gonufc

No, we don’t.

But what club makes their transfer business public?

• 232 PennStateToon // Jul 31, 2013 at 5:40 PM

One of my favorite quotes. His impact can’t be overstated. RIP Sir Bobby they don’t make them like you anymore

• 233 The Arizona Geordie Pizzicato // Jul 31, 2013 at 5:42 PM

TDS, Lyon does make their transfer business public, namely Gomisgate.

• 234 jazzyp // Jul 31, 2013 at 5:43 PM

Caulker off to Cardiff for around 7 mill.
    Young English defender with bags of potential at the right price imo. I just don’t think we seem interested in anyone this transfer window .

• 235 jayjo // Jul 31, 2013 at 5:43 PM

I know this is stating the obvious but i have never felt as bad as i feel right now, we have a chairman , football director , that truly know how to make us a laughing stock of the country yet will not bring players in …. I think two strikers would give us sufficient scope to mount a good challenge and cup campaign …. Two strikers 20m it makes my blood boil that idiots .wont support this , i am an advocate for Ashley and have been pounded for saying so but if we sign nobody them we will be fighting bottom 3 with the risk of our best players leaving due to no commitment

• 236 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 31, 2013 at 5:45 PM

nut meg

Yeah, the under-21 fixtures are on the FA website, so we could assume that means that we are cat one. But we were in the under-21 league last year too, pending final decision on our status.

I guess we are cat one, but maybe the club thought that it wasn’t worth announcing. If they did, I can imagine the comments…
    – “Great, so after a year we’ve caught up the smoggies and the scum!”
    – “So, we’ve managed this just after Reading and Leicester? Brilliant!”

And so on…all punctuated with “this club is a joke” and “Ashley out” comments…

It’s good news though. No harm done. And there are only 22 cat one clubs (16 PL clubs – not Swansea, Cardiff, Hull or Palace), 5 Championship teams and Wolves.

• 237 mikeashleyisamackem // Jul 31, 2013 at 5:45 PM

still no transfers
    i actually think joe kinnear is outta touch with modern football and players are put off coming to us its a joke every night for well over a month i have logged on and looked to see if a mirracle has happend and we actually signed a player ,anybody even a youth player would do a complete unknown least we would beable to talk about something diffrent ,we will end up with a striker i have no fear of that but it will be the one nobody wanted ,we will have a bog standard season slightly better than last year then round the merry go round again its utter soul destroying been a newcastle fan mike ashley and his cronies have taken the fun out of it ,well i will never buy another ticket ,renew a season ticket ,buy a shirt or hold any hope that we will have a good season because the club is taking the papiss ,never in my 32 years have i felt like this i a completley finished with newcastle ,never will i worry i am gonna follow blyth spartans because even they have more ambition all these people on here have the wool time and again pulled over there eyes its time for us fans to stop complaining and actually do something about it by voting with your tickets if newcastle fail to sign anyone ,fail to give us answers fail to show any sort of ambition then we should make sure st james is empty and make it last till january with the threat sort it out or it will go on to may but that will never happen because there is always the mugs who claim the die hard and go week in week out it is because of these that mike ashley laughs his way to the bank the fat piece a s*it

• 238 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 31, 2013 at 5:46 PM

The Arizona Geordie Pizzicato

Yep! And we have a go at our owner and DoF…

• 239 toonarmydownsouth // Jul 31, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Nut Meg
    Oh dear
    @robbalucky84: Joe Kinnears Phone Book #noonescoming http://t.co/Hvob9ykRrJ

• 240 JAMSHA // Jul 31, 2013 at 5:46 PM

hmmm messi been caught kissng t**s of a striper

• 241 toonarmydownsouth // Jul 31, 2013 at 5:49 PM

JAMSHA
    No he hasn’t, they confirmed like a week ago all the pics were fake

• 242 numba9 // Jul 31, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Still it burns this club is ours and does not matter what piss is doused on it by this idiot our legends are our legends and we bleed from the same vein . This guy isn’t even in the same room

• 243 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 31, 2013 at 5:51 PM

JAMSHA

Even if he has:
    1 – So what? What does that have to do with NUFC?
    2 – So what? Who hasn’t?!

• 244 jayjo // Jul 31, 2013 at 5:51 PM

Im ashamed that this man will run OUR club to a relegation that we wont recover from , Pards has his faults but how can he manage when idiots pull thecstrings

• 245 DokToon // Jul 31, 2013 at 5:53 PM

TDS,

that response made my spit my beverage… LOL

• 246 toonarmydownsouth // Jul 31, 2013 at 5:54 PM

Man City are absolutely damaging AC Milan!
    5-0 not even half time and jovetic with 2 assists and Dzeko with 2 goals, dzeko is dominating there pre season

• 247 Crow59 // Jul 31, 2013 at 5:54 PM

watching Man Citeh vs AC Milan and its 5-1 after 40 mins :(

Signings please JFK its getting a joke

• 248 toonarmydownsouth // Jul 31, 2013 at 5:56 PM

Dok Toon
    Is it a tasty beverage? May I have some of your tasty beverage to wash down this tasty burger?

• 249 wingspan // Jul 31, 2013 at 5:56 PM

Who cares, if your Lionel Messi you do what you please.

Ive resigned myself to no signings if we get someone now it will be a nice surprise. We are officially a joke.

• 250 mikeashleyisamackem // Jul 31, 2013 at 5:57 PM

please to anybody who agrees with me waste your 500 pound season ticket and stay away from st james it will be for the benefit of the club in the long run even if it results in us been relagated

• 251 nut meg // Jul 31, 2013 at 5:58 PM

TDS @234 -237
    HEE HEE is it a case of …joe i’ll call you …don’t call me ?
    My post meant to say now only one league for academy,i think it regional leagues last year but not sure.

• 252 toonarmydownsouth // Jul 31, 2013 at 5:58 PM

5-2 what a game!

• 253 The Arizona Geordie Pizzicato // Jul 31, 2013 at 5:58 PM

JAMSHA, What day is today?

• 254 mikeashleyisamackem // Jul 31, 2013 at 5:59 PM

we need to oust this regime for once qand for all ,why let a cockney urinate on you from a great hight it will not be me

• 255 nut meg // Jul 31, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Jamsa
    nee farleys rusks ?

• 256 mikeashleyisamackem // Jul 31, 2013 at 6:02 PM

i am gonna invest in a sniper rifle from the deep net and shoot mike ashley if he doesnt sell up one of these days

• 257 toonarmydownsouth // Jul 31, 2013 at 6:03 PM

5-3 fcuk about!!!!!!

• 258 mikeashleyisamackem // Jul 31, 2013 at 6:03 PM

SOUL DESTROYING UNITED

• 259 ToonDarnSarf // Jul 31, 2013 at 6:04 PM

nut meg

Not sure about last year, but we were in the under-21 league that was for category one academies only. We were allowed to do that as the decision on our status was officially deferred and not refused.

• 260 DokToon // Jul 31, 2013 at 6:05 PM

tads, it is big kahuna burger and it does coem with a tasty beverage…

• 261 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 31, 2013 at 6:12 PM

TDS

Do you have nothing else to do other than witter on about how great Mike Ashley is, or how terrible SJH or FS were?

I also hope that you weren’t making a sly dig at Shearer @228?

• 262 toonarmydownsouth // Jul 31, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Dok
    I can’t usually get ‘em myself because my girlfriend’s a vegitarian which pretty much makes me a vegitarian. But I do love the taste of a good burger. Mm-mm-mm.

Man we desperately need a signing!!!!

• 263 welshgeordie9 // Jul 31, 2013 at 6:12 PM

What’s the latest news on remy

• 264 HullMag6 // Jul 31, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Any news re the rumoured medical today?

Has sausage rolled? Danno been booked?

Seriously anyone heard from Torq?

• 265 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 31, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Hull

If Torq rolled in with his info right now it would not be overly appreciated. Anyone who claims we will sign someone can pretty much bugger off as far as I am concerned.

Danno has as much idea about what’s going on as any of the rest of us do.

• 266 jazzyp // Jul 31, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Toondanno quoted that Percy was meeting up with Remy.
    I just don’t know why people come on here spouting itk crap and making there selves look like proper mugs.

• 267 Ben3arfa // Jul 31, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Where are the blog’s ITK ‘s lol

• 268 toonarmydownsouth // Jul 31, 2013 at 6:25 PM

@M_arioBalotelli: John W Henry logic. http://t.co/SeeUx04j1M

• 269 Mister Tuff // Jul 31, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Do not worry lads n lasses. These pre season games have nothing to do with shaping our starting eleven for the first game. They are all down to fitness and conditioning. Also our super coach Percy has stated he is happy with the squad. Please do not take any notice of Citys pre season friendlies -clearly just fitness and conditioning – the high scores from City mean nothing. All Percys’ supporters know we will give City a thrashing.
    And if you believe all of that tosh you clearly are idiots.

• 270 toonarmydownsouth // Jul 31, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Mister Tuff
    Lol
    Aye so what if they have put 5 past some Italian team no ones heard of ;)

• 271 welshgeordie9 // Jul 31, 2013 at 6:34 PM

I don’t think we are going to sign anyone.

The squad pardew has used in pre season will be the one he will use when this season starts, that why he’s hoping that the our fringe players like gosling will do well in friendlies.

• 272 toon22 // Jul 31, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Id like the hear what JK has to say about our transfers,our targets seem to not have changed.
    We havent gotten anywhere signing anyone.And dont seem to have any plan B maybe not even a plan A
    Where are all these contacts?
    Has he used his colossal infulence or phone contacts?
    Imo JK is a stupid old fool

• 273 luxogeordie // Jul 31, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Someone named a website after Cisse

• 274 HullMag6 // Jul 31, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Trouble is torq never claimed to be an itk he passed what he heard through to us and most of the time he wasn’t wide of the mark. But when he didnt have that kind of info I found him a decent contributer to a debate. Where as you Ruddy my friend seem hell bent on some vendetta against anyone with any information dismissing all as crap and if thats the case what’s the point of this blog?

Some daft stuff may find its way on bit its for a laugh – lighten up.

As for sausage/danno I haven’t taken them that seriously hence my comments.

Ruddy lighten up do us all a favour.

• 275 wolfshead@toon // Jul 31, 2013 at 6:43 PM

if city can put 5 past milan what the fak are they gonna do to us :-0

• 276 John Tudor // Jul 31, 2013 at 6:46 PM

declare

• 277 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 31, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Hull

Not sure what your problem is, I never had any issue with Torq at all, never once slated him.

You’re being very patronising, you do realise that?

• 278 wolfshead@toon // Jul 31, 2013 at 6:47 PM

jt

haha

• 279 daztoon // Jul 31, 2013 at 6:48 PM

Bring on city we’re on an unbeaten 2 game streak and ripped the mighty St.Mirren a new one

• 280 Thump // Jul 31, 2013 at 6:48 PM

Ruddy, you’re being the disappointed school teacher again. I’m having terrible flashbacks.

• 281 wolfshead@toon // Jul 31, 2013 at 6:49 PM

daz

hahaha

• 282 Toonboy_84 // Jul 31, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Just got on now. Still no news?

We are a shower of sh1t. I wish I didn’t bleed black and white. What did we do to deserve this??

• 283 Tommyy // Jul 31, 2013 at 6:51 PM

As soon as the season starts we will see how blindingly poor Gosling, Williamson, Ameobi x 2 and Jonas really are. Again. We’ll also see how Pardew has changed absolutely nothing about style of play. Again.

Pardew absolutely needs signings as he cannot get this current squad performing. We’ve seen it week after week.

I’m still leaning toward Pardew being pushed, the board know he can’t perform with the squad as it is, we know it, the players know it and deep down he must know it. All boils down to when he decides he’s had enough or we’re in the shit.

• 284 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Jul 31, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Thump

Disappointed school teacher? Well that’s original if nothing else.

• 285 ~Joke-innear~ // Jul 31, 2013 at 6:51 PM

A friend of mine has it on good knowledge that JFK has not left the office since returning from holiday. Word on the street is that he has spent all this time practicing Fifa for our attempt to lure Remy here two hours before deadline day.

Trust me, Im ITK.

• 286 Mister Tuff // Jul 31, 2013 at 6:56 PM

tudor @276 – one of your better ones.

• 287 toon22 // Jul 31, 2013 at 6:57 PM

We are chasing people like Remy /Bent/Gomis like they are Bale/Rooney.
    Scraping the bottom of the barrel for bargain bin rejects.
    It has Sports Direct Reject bin written all over it.

• 288 toonarmydownsouth // Jul 31, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Jovetic

Shola

City your are going to get fcuking slaughtered

Shola’s number one fan

• 289 The puppy formerly known as prince // Jul 31, 2013 at 6:59 PM

I’m starting to think when Mike Ashley apparently said “I’m not going through that again” he actually meant a transfer window that he spends money in.

• 290 Mister Tuff // Jul 31, 2013 at 7:01 PM

tads @270 – do not even contemplate us getting a walloping/thrashing by a cricket score by City. Keep the faith or the Blind Faith Brigade led by the mad greengrocer from the Heed will be after you. Couple of direct hits on the nappa by a cauli and a bagey will knock some sense into you.

• 291 daztoon // Jul 31, 2013 at 7:02 PM

Nice to see City taking it easy pre-season before they are put the test playing us.

• 292 isleofmanman // Jul 31, 2013 at 7:08 PM

November 1961, Gallowgate end. v’s Norwich, 0-0 draw. Didn’t matter. Can’t remember the match

Yes I did hang onto me Fattha’s hand while he pulled me up the never ending steps and suddenly there’s green yellow black and white shirts all over the place

The unbelievable noise and smoke and deadly accurate peanut bag sellers. Alan Suddick played. Alf McMichael looked ancient. The men let me down to the front. No bother.

Sir Bobby got it spot on

• 293 bobby vee // Jul 31, 2013 at 8:50 PM

As July 31st comes to an end, let all who support NUFC
    just spare a few moments to remember and give thanks
    to Sir Bobby Robson. A true gentleman and legend who
    absolutely lived and breathed everything about OUR Club. A man for ALL Seasons, a man loved and admired
    by football fans from every corner of the world, and for
    a few brief years came home to his beloved Newcastle United and gave us so many wonderful memories, and a legacy which should NEVER be forgotten.

Oh to have Sir Bobby as manager in his prime. I honestly
    believe that NUFC would have been moulded into one of
    the finest and most successful clubs in Europe – such was the expertise and ability of the son of the North East.

You may ask! How can I make such rash claims?
    The simple fact is that I got to know the great man and
    spent so many hours in his company, all the while hanging on to every word he said, so many words of
    wisdom which just left me in awe, and have given me
    lasting memories which will live with me forever. I thank
    you Sir Bobby for taking me into your confidence, I will
    be eternally grateful!

Be rest assured that although 4 years have passed since
    Sir Bobby was taken from us, if there is a heaven he will
    be looking down on his beloved NUFC, no doubt sad that
    all is not well, but knowing that our GREAT club can be restored to its former glory.

Thanks for the memories Sir Bobby until we meet again