Italian Club Moves In For Newcastles’ Top Young Target

There was some good news in Italy on Tuesday, that Newcastle were strongly interested in top French U21 forward Mbaye Niang, and the report in Gazzetta dello Sport said that Newcastle were trying to get the 18 year-old on loan to Newcastle for next season.

Mbaye Niang 12

Mbaye Niang – 18 year-old French forward

Mbaye Niang signed for AC Milan only last summer from French club Caen, and he is one of the best young French players coming through.

And we assume if Newcastle can get Loic Remy or Bafetimbi Gomis through the door, this lad could be brought in and developed at Newcastle on a season long loan deal, with an option to buy him outright next summer.

But there are a number of clubs interested in the youngster, and news in Gazzetta dello Sport today, that Genoa are talking to AC Milan about a loan deal and the lad could stay in Italy for next season.

Daniele Delli Carri is the Sporting Director at Genoa, and in an equivalent position to Joe Kinnear at Newcastle, and this is what he told Gazzetta dello Sport:

“We’ve been following him for the last month.” “If Milan decide to release him on loan then we would be interested in taking him on.”

Newcastle were credited with a strong interest in the player on Tuesday, but other Italian clubs Fiorentina and Sampdoria are also following developments.

It seems to us this is a much more difficult deal for Newcastle to bring off  than the two we are trying to complete for Bafetimbi Gomis and Loic Remy, and not much chance of success.

But this lad also looks a top player in the making, and while at Caen until he was 17 year old,  Mbaye Niang played 30 times with 5 goals for the French club.

What do you think?

Note: Reader Mark Harding has kindly set up a Fantasy Football League for the coming season for readers of this blog.
The code is 3178-173427, and you can sign up for it HERE.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

• Santon03

Aug 1, 2013 at 9:04 AM

joe repost

I don’t think in this world only those 3 strikers available. I don’t mind having Bent, but not with 50-65k/week as 3rd choice, he would probably earn more than our 1st or 2nd choice just to sit on the bench.
    Shola would be the ideal 3rd or 4th since he is happy to be benchwarmer and didn’t cost much.

• Santon03

Aug 1, 2013 at 9:07 AM

Niang is strong and quick, he is probably similar to Drogba style but quicker. I doubt Milan will want to sell him or loan him out, but there is always possibility.

• nut meg

Aug 1, 2013 at 9:07 AM

Lilo
    How old will John Fleck be now,he was going to be the next big thing when he burst onto the scene as a young kid ?

• Markaccus

Aug 1, 2013 at 9:08 AM

Ruddy.

Under certain circumstances then i would have taken bent…… if shola leaves (i actually prefer him to bent. Better the devil you know et.c) and if he was coming as a back up to cisse, goofy and remy (if we sign him) and finally, only if we cant get gomis or another similar through the door. In other words… he is better than no one 😀

• nut meg

Aug 1, 2013 at 9:10 AM

Lilo
    Just checked, he’ll be 22 this month & he’s now at Coventry

• Yohan Kebab

Aug 1, 2013 at 9:10 AM

santon03’s train of thought

striker
    check
    black
    check
    similar to drogba

😉

i hate to say it but i think kinnear has done a good thing pulling us out of bent deal

• raj of hailsley

Aug 1, 2013 at 9:12 AM

Santon,
    Yesterday I told pawl that I’d fallen asleep reading one of his posts,
    He replied I was like an annoying song stuck on repeat,
    I replied he was like an annoying extended album stuck on repeat,
    I then found my further comments later that evening blocked out.

• JAMSHA

Aug 1, 2013 at 9:14 AM

get this lad… can play as a,winger

replace him with jonas..

• Yohan Kebab

Aug 1, 2013 at 9:15 AM

im worried that santon will get ripped a new one against navas on the first day

unless pardew plays it right, if he tells santon to man mark like he had to do with ronaldo, he can do a great job

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Aug 1, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Markacus

Gomis is a different type of striker than Cisse, Goofy and Remy are the quick kind of off the shoulder strikers we want to compliment Cisse, but unless we sign wide players in order to play them up front then we won’t see them up front.

Bent is 10X the player Shola is, but the wages would be astronomical for a bench player.

• Markaccus

Aug 1, 2013 at 9:16 AM

Raj/jfa

You are a victim of minority over majority. Two people probably complained, and suddenly you are satans spawn. Whoever made tje accusations should be banned themselves.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Aug 1, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Kebab

Unless Santon has been working on his positioning over the summer I can see many wingers giving Santon a hard time.

Fantastic potential, but I would say Santon is the most frustrating player we have on our books, controversial I know, but only because we all know what kind of player he is capable of being.

• JackButler

Aug 1, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Ruddy

Bent has become a journeyman looking for one last payday, he may be better than Shola but he’s not the type of player we should be looking at imo

• Toon73

Aug 1, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Please.

I can’t believe this guy is one of our “targets”.

• Yohan Kebab

Aug 1, 2013 at 9:19 AM

i think santons a case of unfilled potential until now,

for what its worth there are inter fans that miss him very much, for them he was the best left back theyve had in a while

• JAMSHA

Aug 1, 2013 at 9:19 AM

raj = jef

• JaxtheMag

Aug 1, 2013 at 9:20 AM

this lad played 20 times for ac Milan last season and didn’t score a goal.

• Markaccus

Aug 1, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Ruddy

Cisse is somewhere between the fast type and the cf type, but i agree that remmy and goofy are pace men. Gomis would have been the “option” player, as would bent. I couldnt see him as a bench warmer though, and i am not sure he could force his way into a 433 if we play that way with cisse in the middle.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Aug 1, 2013 at 9:22 AM

JackButler

I wouldn’t class him a journeyman, he’s been at Villa for the past 3 years, but has simply fallen out with Lambert, as did Barry Bannan, who I thought was a decent wee player.

I genuinely believe that if we had Cisse and Bent up top together we’d see a prolific partnership, but sometimes you need to pay the premium for that.

Strikers have their own market, which is separate from the market for other players. Bent gets goals wherever he goes, so 6m and 60k for 3 years isn’t breaking the bank for a club of our stature.

Some may not think him worth it but I’d rather spend that kind of money on Bent than Gomis. I may be in the minority but hey ho.

• Tommyy

Aug 1, 2013 at 9:23 AM

Trouble with Santon is Pardew, I’d have expected a proper manager and coaching to have seen Santon really develop here. At best he’s adapted to the league and nothing mor

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Aug 1, 2013 at 9:25 AM

Kebab

I think under Mourinho’s guidance, Santon would be a much better player now than he is under Pardew, but Mourinho is possibly the best manager in world football right now so it’s not really a slight on Pardew.

He has offensive ability, just sharpen the defensive side.

• Mister Tuff

Aug 1, 2013 at 9:25 AM

Re the Bent story – I would have him signed -but AFTER signing Gomis and Remy. I think the reported bid of 2 million was a bit cheeky as I think he is worth a bit more than that. Some fanciful thinkers putting up this reason and that reason for the paltry bid – maybe it’s just so simple as chancing their arm with a ridiculously low bid.

Jail for Ashley -case. I am slightly astounded that Jail is subject to moderation following a complaint. There are racists, and persons offering violence on here who should be the subject of sanction before Jail. May the complainer is one of the “men” who have been driven off the blog by Jails’ wit – shouting and screaming “boooohooo booooohooooo as they do so. I suspect Ed does not read the blog – to assess who perhaps should be banned. As somebody mentioned earlier there was a post yesterday about David Blunkett shaving a ladies private area with a blunt razor what is more deserving of moderation -comment like this or Jails’ posts.
    As Jail says – awaiting moderation thwarts a good fast moving debate.
    Ed – unchain JfA.
    whinging tarts……………………………………………….OUT.

• Santon03

Aug 1, 2013 at 9:25 AM

well JFA, probably just change you nick without space “jailforashley” if you really love that name hahaha

• Lilongwe Geordie

Aug 1, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Ruddy,
    You think Cisse and Bent would work as a pairing? For me, they are too similar in style to play together. Neither offer enough as a team player to work. Shearer and Ferdinand were both similar, but worked as a pair because both could hold the ball up and bring people into play. Neither of Cisse or Bent can do that, they are both poachers. I think signing Bent would be as a back up or replacement for Cisse, not a partner.

I’d be interested to know why you think they would work as a pair.

I’m not convinced on Gomis either, he has been awful some of the games I’ve seen him in and outstanding in others.

• Bearsize

Aug 1, 2013 at 9:31 AM

How come carr missed this kid before he went to milan?

• lesh

Aug 1, 2013 at 9:31 AM

It’s noticeable that Daniele Delli Carri, Genoa’s Sporting Director or whatever, speaks better English than our Director of Football.

And, Daniele Delli Carri’s presumably Italian where Kinnear’s er, thick!

• JackButler

Aug 1, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Ruddy

His next move will be his sixth club?

6 million and 60k a week for a 29 year old player under this regime isn’t gonna happen.

He’s lost that yard of pace that stood him apart and isn’t the same player that he was three or four years ago.

Some people would take him simply as it could spell the end of Shola’s time here but I’d be much happier if that 6 million was spend on a younger player rather than someone like Bent

• geordiemark

Aug 1, 2013 at 9:32 AM

everyones moving in on our so called targets god they have had enough time considering our so called experts are useless on the first move for players

I think ashley will have to sign a couple of players or the west ham game will turn into a right mess with the crowd gunning for ashley and co

• Santon03

Aug 1, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Yohan Kebab

Since I’m a big fan of Santon 🙂
    He is probably confuse. Last time he played well 90 minutes for Italy, that’s probably he is free to go bombing forward and Italy was using sweeper and 2CB. He had covers when he was bombing forward, it was like that when Mourinho with Inter.
    In NUFC without Colo, he has no cover and the winger in front of him produced almost nothing.
    Haidara and Mbiwa didn’t go forward as much as Santon.
    If the team continue playing that way probably Santon will be better if positioned further forward like when he scored against Wigan.
    Santon has the material of being like Bale imo, good dribler and has good shooting.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Aug 1, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Lilongwe

I don’t believe this belief that because 2 strikers are similar they can’t play together. Bent has pace, Cisse times his run, they’d make different runs at different times, could be an interesting prospect. Just my opinion.

Also, no harm in having 2 very competitive players for that position, to do that we need to pay top dollar.

• ToonDarnSarf

Aug 1, 2013 at 9:35 AM

Offkey

You may be right…but then there are other ways to structure the bonuses. They could just be granted on wins or number of times he plays or they could get really granular and provide bonuses on a certain level of performance (number of shots, shots per goal etc.)

• Klatoon

Aug 1, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Bent has pace? Really? Are we talking about the same Bent here?

• geordiemark

Aug 1, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Santon03

santon for me get caught out to much in the defence so like a lot of other people on here I do think he will be best suited as a winger really he has excellent ball control and like you said a good shot on him and he can cross into the box good to id replace gutti with santon anyday of the week

• ToonDarnSarf

Aug 1, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Our Toon

Thank you. I think…

I’m not the biggest Ashley fan, but I do find that I often take the role of devil’s advocate. Ashley isn’t the evil dictator than many people on the blog seem to portray him as and the same people seem to look at Shepherd and KK through rose-tinted glasses. I like to think I have a balanced view, but of course that’s always open to contradiction.

I don’t think I’d want to be Ashley’s PR agent though, and I think he’s far too arrogant to have anyone defend his decisions to us lot!

• jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew

Aug 1, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Ruddy…I gotta admit I am not with you regarding Bent!

…it is always a choice of prefrence, but for me Bent has not done anything to warrant that pricetag or the wages he wants!

He is starting to remind me of Owen; a player who peaked early and reclined early, but still want to be payed for past achivement!

• Offkey

Aug 1, 2013 at 9:39 AM

TDS – Agree on certain types of bonuses, just got to be careful not to influence the player in a bad way…….

• geordiemark

Aug 1, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Klatoon

aye he used to have pace now its like hes runing like a donkey 🙂 but still the thing about bent he doesnt miss many chances and always seems to stick them away, if his agent and villa want 6 million there obviously stupid cant see many teams exept fulham paying that out

• ToonDarnSarf

Aug 1, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Ruddy

Sure, they have a new owner but they’re still a smaller club than us in every metric that you care to look at. QPR haven’t managed that much with their new owner…

• yo-yo

Aug 1, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Fulham have recently been sold by Al Fayed as he was looking at a big deep financial hole – probably for about £200m. In 2012 they lost £18.6m on revenues of £79m of which £55m was player wages.
    Let them pay stupid money for Bent and crazy wages they will never be more than a mid table team. But neither will we with the current d**heids in charge.

I didn’t know Jail for Ashley had been banned on here. Welcome Raj. For the record I have never been upset or offended at any of his comments despite having considerably differing opinions at times. His one liners have been almost as good as Milton Jones’s at times. There are far, far worse WUMs, trolls and racist/sectarian scum on here than JfA who is none of those things and imo his monicker should be reinstated.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Aug 1, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Ruddy,
    I don’t think Bent has pace anymore. But each to their own. I agree having 2 competitive players in one position is good, I just doubt Bent is competitive. 🙂

I think the offer is about right for Bent, 2mill, heavily incentivised pay, 2 year deal, with a guaranteed extension if he hits certain targets. If he was confident enough in his ability, and hungry enough then earning the money he wants shouldn’t be a problem.

Like Butler, I’d prefer to have a back up striker that is going to improve and push for a starting place in the future, rather than one who has been in decline for a couple of years already.