These Two Local Lads Making The Grade At Newcastle

Sammy Ameobi and Paul Dummett, two local lads born and bred in Newcastle,  started the game at St. Mirren on Tuesday night, and both looked good in the Newcastle shirt, and they seem to be doing very well so far in pre-season.

papiss scores st mirren

Sammy Ameobi in background celebrating Cisse’s goal

Sammy wants to stay on Tyneside with his older brother Shola this coming season, and doesn’t want to go out on local.

This is what the England U21 International had to say in the local press today:

“I don’t want to go out on loan this year, I want to play here.” “Going out will be a last resort if things don’t work out but this is where I want to be. I want to be a success in the Premier League, fingers crossed.

“This is a big season for me, it’s make of break. I will either be playing Premier League or further down the leagues. I want to be here at the top level, I’ve had a good start to pre-season I want to keep that going.”

“It’s been a great start to pre-season for me and (young left-back) Paul Dummett,” said Ameobi. “It’s been about the application we have both put in and that’s what it’s all about really.

“I’ve always been told I’ve got good ability but that’s not all you need. I have to apply it in the right way and I’m trying to put that in to my game.”

“I have always had that policy of keeping everyone motivated and everyone with the group and sometimes somebody pops out. At the minute Sammy and Paul Dummett have put their head above the parapet and now they have to stay there. That’s the hard bit, staying there. I want Sammy to do that.”

Alan Pardew seems to think the two local lads are impressing and getting the job done this pre-season, and a delighted Newcastle manager had this to say after the St. Mirren game:

“We had some great performances. Paul Dummett and Sammy have put themselves in a position to challenge.” “They’ve come out of the pack. Now they have to see it through to Manchester City.”

It’s so far so good for both Sammy and Paul,  and certainly the 21 year-old Ameobi looked very good on the left-wing and Pardew thought both wingers – Hatem Ben Arfa and Ameobi  – were very good at St. Mirren, so Sammy is in some good company there.

paul dummett in blue strip

Paul Dummett – improving all the time

And Paul Dummett seems to be settling in very well and he’s improving with almost every game, and the 21 year-old is starting to look the part at Newcastle, and he could well stay on Tyneside for the coming season.

Certainly that’s what Sammy Ameobi wants to do, and we definitely want to see some local lads like Sammy and Paul coming through the ranks at Newcastle.

Note: Reader Mark Harding has kindly set up a Fantasy Football League for the coming season for readers of this blog.
The code is 3178-173427, and you can sign up for it HERE.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

• IITianToon

Aug 1, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Talking the talk is Sammy.. but walking the walk is Dummett..

• IITianToon

Aug 1, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Ed.. when are you starting the NUFC Blog official Fantasy league.. it was superb last time out!

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 1, 2013 at 10:38 AM

I would like to thank everybody for your kind words of support in what was a very traumatic time for me, the eighteen or so hours I spent barred from the blog were some of the most harrowing of my life.

• JaxtheMag

Aug 1, 2013 at 10:40 AM

see how good they look at man city.

• Noah Another Ameobi

Aug 1, 2013 at 10:40 AM

i hope they both make it as dummett is good competition for santon and haidara and sammy can be annoying but also unplayable sometimes

• Toon_Tom

Aug 1, 2013 at 10:40 AM

JFA – did you reflect and think about what you had done?

• sirjasontoon

Aug 1, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Sammy is Shite.

• ROSHAN MAGPIE

Aug 1, 2013 at 10:42 AM

ed please start your fantasy premier league last time it was awesome I finished at 35th position

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 1, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Toon Tom,
    I searched my soul.

• IITianToon

Aug 1, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Problem with Sammy is he will dribble past a couple, los steam and mishit a cross out of play.. so annoying!

• yo-yo

Aug 1, 2013 at 10:45 AM

jayjo

Reckon you’re spot on with MAsh and Rangers.
    1. They will be relatively cheap to buy and operate
    2. Huge Replica shirt profile and attendances similar to Toon
    3. Worldwide ‘brand’
    4. Big fish/small pond meand CL football on regular basis
    5. The newco doesn’t have the debts of the previous bodged regime
    6. Mash already has 10% plus marketing contracts with them

• jimmysmith

Aug 1, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Not for us pal, been more like a lovely little getaway in splendid Par ee or similar, but I guess all good things must come to an end.

• ToonDarnSarf

Aug 1, 2013 at 10:47 AM

IITianToon

I set up a NUFC Blog league for fantasy football and we’ve got 56 people in it so far if you’re interested.

The code is 3178-173427 and the site is http://fantasy.premierleague.com if anyone wants to show off their football knowledge…

• ToonDarnSarf

Aug 1, 2013 at 10:49 AM

ROSHAN

Same for you. Feel free to pass it on. I don’t care whether this league counts as the “official” one or not, but we have 56 members from the blog so it’s doing ok. Feel free to pass it on. The league is called NUFC Blog anyway.

• ToonDarnSarf

Aug 1, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Right…some of you may be glad to hear that I’m going on holiday for a week and a half so will either be making no comments or very few comments on this blog…

Hopefully when I come back, we’ll have a shiny new striker to bang in the goals…

• IITianToon

Aug 1, 2013 at 10:51 AM

@TDS Already registered for ur league cheers.!! 🙂

• JaxtheMag

Aug 1, 2013 at 10:52 AM

when is pardew going to start to think our transfer targets are slipping away. puppet

• ToonDarnSarf

Aug 1, 2013 at 10:53 AM

IITianToon

Good man. How many did the “official” league have last year? I can’t remember. We’re doing pretty well with 56 so far I think.

Shame we can’t add aliases for each league that we’re in, so we could reference back to our blog name!

• Tatty Bojangles

Aug 1, 2013 at 10:54 AM

@ToonDarnSarf – joined.

I won the Fantasy League last year. Hopefully someone can give me a run for my money this time around 😉

• IITianToon

Aug 1, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Hey guys, what odds would you put on Gutierrez starting against City??

• IITianToon

Aug 1, 2013 at 10:55 AM

@TDS Ask Ed to make a post with your league being the official Blog league.. that would be great no?

• GeordieDan

Aug 1, 2013 at 10:56 AM

JFA>

If you can’t do the time don’t do the crime mate…. 😉

Good to have you back lad.

• ToonDarnSarf

Aug 1, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Sure can.

I didn’t even know there was an option to contact Ed directly on this blog…now I know there is, I know how I can complain for JfA to be banned permanently!

• plana

Aug 1, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Another day of Pardew, and that mythical crossed line.

• Belfast

Aug 1, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Jail

Why did you banned lol ??

• ToonDanno

Aug 1, 2013 at 11:15 AM

So we’re finally going to have a decent striker on the bench. About time too!

• Belfast

Aug 1, 2013 at 11:15 AM

*Get banned*

• Belfast

Aug 1, 2013 at 11:18 AM

I like Dummet, but not a fan of Ameobi. Seems to be an anorexic version of his brother. Also seems to be a bit of a knob going by some of his comments on twatter.

• Novocastrian66

Aug 1, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Sammy needs to reign himself in. Far too full of him self for my liking especially as he has achieved nowt.

• naptoon

Aug 1, 2013 at 11:19 AM

been a few weeks since I posted (silly season and what have you) but really peed off and demoralised now by this window … Glad I didn’t buy season ticket … Sad state of affairs.
    On bent … Well done JFK imo and I’m not jumping through hoops at Gomis and remy (just due to knocking us back before and popo investigation).
    Make or break for a lot of our young uns this season and has the blog gone mental JFA barred …. Sigh …. One voice of reason floating on a sea of madness … Keep up the good work fella.

• toonfan76

Aug 1, 2013 at 11:19 AM

ToonDanno. What’s the latest you’ve heard? Any sort of timescale on signings? Really need some good transfer news right now.

• Jail for Ashley

Aug 1, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Belfast,
    One of my last posts was telling pawl that I fell asleep reading one of his and then barred.

• naptoon

Aug 1, 2013 at 11:22 AM

it’s not just me then JFA re pawl

• Joe Blog

Aug 1, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Harrowing for you, JFA, hallowing for the blog.

• ToonDanno

Aug 1, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Toonfan- in both Remy and Gomis deals it’s just sorting the small print so to speak. Main structure of both deals have been agreed

• plana

Aug 1, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Ameobi the younger is an Asthmatic poser. When the season kicks off for real he will revert to type and disappear from sight. He is a training ground messi that can’t do it on match days.

• toonfan76

Aug 1, 2013 at 11:29 AM

@JFA
    I’ve been reading this blog for a few years now and have to say that I have never really been offended by anyone on this blog, we all have our opinions to share. I say “agree to disagree.” The only people who bother me are the obvious trolls like viv yesterday on the SBR article. I think you should be free to express your opinions as long as your not throwing direct insults. The bulk of us bloggers want the same thing, for our beloved team to do well and hopefully win something. Glad to see your ban didn’t last too long.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Aug 1, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Sammy

Got great feet, beats a player with ease, then urhhhh what do I do – football brain gone AWOL.

Got potential but….
    Needs some red meat, Guinness to build him up and to go out on a season long loan.

• ted

Aug 1, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Im glad bents not signing.

• Belfast

Aug 1, 2013 at 11:31 AM

I didn’t even know it was possible to get banned Jail.

1 2 3 9