The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Now After Wigan Midifelder James McCarthy

11:30 pm, Friday, August 2nd, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 154 Comments

The Independent is reporting that next in line for Newcastle could be Wigan’s top midfielder James McCarthy, who at 22 years old fits the profile of players Newcastle want to sign, but Wigan are asking a massive £20M for the youngster.

Soccer - Barclays Premier League - Wigan Athletic v Aston Villa - DW Stadium

James McCarthy - Newcastle interested

James is a very good player,  who has played for all the Ireland Youth sides, and 16 times for the full Ireland side.

But because he is British his transfer fee could be high (very high), and we would think out of the range of Newcastle.

However, the Independent  reports that both Newcastle and Everton are interested in signing the 5’11″ central midfielder, and it could be that if he moves he could prefer to follow his former manager Roberto Martinez, who is now at Everton.

James joined Wigan from Hamilton Academicals back in 2009 as an 18 year-old,  and he’s played 127 times in the Premier League for Wigan with 8 goals, and last season he appeared 42 times with 3 goals.

We think James would be a terrific signing for Newcastle,, but he would cost a big fee, and it’s doubtful Newcastle would be able to bring the Irish International to Tyneside.

And Newcastle have now agreed terms for the permanent transfer of Bafetimbi Gomis from Lyon,  and a season long loan deal for Loic Remy of QPR, but neither striker deal has yet been completed.

But it seems that Newcastle are near to having some success in the transfer market this summer,  and that’s great news if we can seal the deals.

Better late than never.

Note: Reader Mark Harding has kindly set up a Fantasy Football League for the coming season for readers of this blog.
The code is 3178-173427, and you can sign up for it HERE.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

Tags: Loic Remy · Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

154 responses so far ↓

• 1 Ben3arfa // Aug 2, 2013 at 11:34 PM

Non-starter because
    a) we dont need Central midfielders
    b) he isnt worth 20m

• 2 TheToonKing // Aug 2, 2013 at 11:36 PM

20 mil, lol. More like 4 at most. Not gonna happen.

• 3 iggystinger // Aug 2, 2013 at 11:37 PM

We need another CB if anything

• 4 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 2, 2013 at 11:38 PM

4 at most? Granted he isn’t worth 20m but he is an absolutely cracking player. If it was announced that we spent 10m on him I’d say “fair enough”.

• 5 Ben3arfa // Aug 2, 2013 at 11:39 PM

In fairness, McCarthy is worth somewhere between 8-12 million quid.

20m is a typical over inflated Dave Whelan price

• 6 Patoon // Aug 2, 2013 at 11:40 PM

How can he be Irish and British???

• 7 Yohan Kebab // Aug 2, 2013 at 11:40 PM

wouldnt spend over 6m on him, as its a position we dont need to strengthen

• 8 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 2, 2013 at 11:41 PM

Patoon

Plays for Ireland through the grandparents, but he is born in Scotland.

• 9 Rotonda heights // Aug 2, 2013 at 11:42 PM

But because he is British …….?

• 10 johnboy // Aug 2, 2013 at 11:43 PM

Anyone seen the story on twitter (I know, hardly the most reliable source) about JFK turning up to a meeting with MA, Pards and Carr etc absolutely smashed from his train journey and the next day asking Pards what time the meeting was, oblivious to the fact it was the night befor and he couldn’t remember? Story suggests that MA wants rid of him after this. I hope this is true!!

• 11 Rotonda heights // Aug 2, 2013 at 11:43 PM

only if cabs goes and then 8m max.

• 12 Patoon // Aug 2, 2013 at 11:43 PM

Ruddy

Ok, the grandparent rule again, u goin over 2 any games this season?

• 13 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 2, 2013 at 11:45 PM

Patoon

Looking to get moving over to Newcastle to go back to finish off my degree, but I might not get over as I might have left it too late to re-apply.

Strongly considering not going to any games even if I am living in Newcastle, as I am sick of Mike Ashley.

What about you, will you manage to get over much?

• 14 toonarmydownsouth // Aug 2, 2013 at 11:48 PM

Football has officially gone mad if championship clubs can try and command fees like that

No chance the lad would be worth £8 mil if they were still in the prem, but there a relegated club and certain players will want out so £6-7 mil

• 15 shango87 // Aug 2, 2013 at 11:48 PM

YES! this is the player that newcastle need to sign, young, prem experience and already a full international. easily be able to build the team around him for ten years minimum! as for the price…. 10 mil tops, wigan aren’t exactly in the possision to turn that money down with no gaurentee on them returning to prem next year. i would love him to sign for us!….LOVE IT

• 16 ted // Aug 2, 2013 at 11:49 PM

Ruddy has a background in law and an unfinished degree? Explains a lot…

• 17 potski // Aug 2, 2013 at 11:49 PM

Ruddy

We are are not far apart. Spurs will strengthen and £85m is alot of money to play with. That will keep them in Europe for years to come. But I’m not sure selling their best player is the way to break into the top four and get CL regularly.

But they are still out of our reach, as are Liverpool and probably Everton. We not only performed over and above ourselves 11-12, but Liverpool performed badly that season. Despite the money they have wasted on Carroll and others, they still remain a stronger team than us. We cannot compete with their annual income.

Even if they lose Suarez and Spurs lose Bale, I don’t see us coming above either them, Everton or Swansea. So we are competing for 9-10th AT BEST, and I think we agree we are a midtable club.

• 18 G // Aug 2, 2013 at 11:50 PM

He’s a good player, who has potential to be very good indeed, but 20M? Nee chance.

• 19 stu mel // Aug 2, 2013 at 11:50 PM

Total off the topic but I want to but I new shirt I support newcastle and want to pay them for It not by some replica, n before I start I’m not cisse getting a mega wage where I could give those loans out to make up for it, but as a fan I refuse to have wonga assortianated with me, but I still really want a top any clues

• 20 Yohan Kebab // Aug 2, 2013 at 11:50 PM

wish id chosen to do my degree at newcastle uni now tbh :(

• 21 G // Aug 2, 2013 at 11:51 PM

“but I new shirt”? Autocorrect?

• 22 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 2, 2013 at 11:51 PM

McCarthy is top 4 standard in my opinion. If Gareth Barry, Scott Parker and John Obi Mikel are good enough for top 4/5 then McCarthy is more than good enough.

• 23 Patoon // Aug 2, 2013 at 11:52 PM

Ruddy

Going 2 the Fulham game at the end of this month, it’l b the first time since we hammered Cardiff in the Championship season, very busy man and hav a young family and house 2 keep, affording it can b tough when ther’s wee mouths 2 feed lol

• 24 stu mel // Aug 2, 2013 at 11:53 PM

iPhone sorry I was wondering how long sorry ill try harder

• 25 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 2, 2013 at 11:55 PM

Potski

Spurs seemed to have managed the departures of Modric, Berbatov, Keane et al over recent years and still manage to be very competitive. In recent years they are signing even higher calibre players and are closing in on the top 4, selling Bale might mean their wait for top 4 is postponed for another season but they will be much stronger in the long run.

Liverpool’s annual income ensures that they can afford to waste money on ridiculous transfers and still have a lot left over to make other signings.

It seems we’re on the same page with where our club is at.

• 26 beautifulmind // Aug 2, 2013 at 11:55 PM

macarthy is a good player and would be a good signing but I doubt whether MA would spend that much on him. With Kinnear Im sure his contract will have an initial performance clause meaning if he doesn’t perform within a fixed period of normally 6months MA can get rid of him without paying compensation.

• 27 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 2, 2013 at 11:57 PM

Patoon

I was at the Cardiff game too, missed the first 5 mins so I missed the first few goals! haha

Yeah I know how expensive it is myself, although I’ve no wife and wee ones to feed so it must be hard lad. People living in Newcastle don’t know how lucky they are haha

• 28 stu mel // Aug 2, 2013 at 11:57 PM

Not gonna happen paper talk night

• 29 Toon-Prodigy // Aug 3, 2013 at 12:00 AM

Balk!

• 30 Patoon // Aug 3, 2013 at 12:04 AM

Ruddy

I know, it would b great living over ther, no flights or accomodation 2 pay, just a ticket and a lock of vodka lol, i was sitting in line with the edge of the box in the Milburn stand and saw the first 3 goals rite in front of me, up until that nite i thot that Carroll was a donkey but he was fantastic that nite, won everything

• 31 Newcastle Brown Alien // Aug 3, 2013 at 12:04 AM

This is the reason we buy foreign (french). A mediocre player who would warm our bench valued at 20mil. Makes me sick.

• 32 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 3, 2013 at 12:05 AM

Patoon

Was a great result, can’t see us giving Cardiff the same trimmings this season!

• 33 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 3, 2013 at 12:06 AM

Mediocre player? Some people clearly don’t watch football.

• 34 lesh // Aug 3, 2013 at 12:06 AM

Two things:

Why didn’t we go for signings early?

The word ‘troll’ crops up a lot. What, in the context of thus site rather than Norse legend, is a troll?

• 35 Toon-Prodigy // Aug 3, 2013 at 12:08 AM

Troll-

One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument

• 36 YOY_Yorkshire // Aug 3, 2013 at 12:09 AM

It’s is apparent that we have movement on the transfer front but I do have an uncomfortable feeling as reflected in the following bleacher report…
    I feel that Joke Innear is desperate to get anyone in now that he’s under the spotlight. This wigan and the previous Bardsley smack of this too

• 37 Pizzicato The Arizona Geordie // Aug 3, 2013 at 12:10 AM

I once think that we could grab all the good players at Wigan for replacing Gosling, Obertan, Perch and Simpson. However, 20M for McCarthy is rather terrible. How much is McArthur then?

• 38 Novocastrian66 // Aug 3, 2013 at 12:13 AM

McCarthy is a good player but he isn’t in the £20m bracket. Cabaye would be worth £40m if that was the case as I believe Yohan is twice the player McCarthy is.

• 39 ilovetoon8788 // Aug 3, 2013 at 12:13 AM

Wouldn’t surprise me one bit if McCarthy moves to Manchester United for 20 million at the end of next season. Provided he continues his development and progress as he did last season.

Wonderful player on his day.

But nowhere worth 20million as of now. Not gonna happen.

• 40 YOY_Yorkshire // Aug 3, 2013 at 12:13 AM

Johnboy I wish

• 41 Jail for Ashley // Aug 3, 2013 at 12:15 AM

lesh,
    Apart from Norse and Saxon myth an internet troll is I think known as a saddo that has nothing else better to do than wind people up and insult people, but I only know that because I’m getting old and listen to Jeremy Vine on radio two .

• 42 Yohan Kebab // Aug 3, 2013 at 12:17 AM

booking tickets for charity match

why is seat 93 in the corner next to seat 107?? worrying im gonna be half a mile away from my mates lol

• 43 Big Pappa Cissé // Aug 3, 2013 at 12:17 AM

@ stu

Get yourself a blue dark blue permenant marker and get colouring in ;)

• 44 Jail for Ashley // Aug 3, 2013 at 12:21 AM

Toon prodigy,
    I read with a lot of interest your comment on Pardews eight year contract and mentioned your name when delivering my own conclusion, I think you were bang on with that !

• 45 Robby Bobson // Aug 3, 2013 at 12:21 AM

For those who want to see Gomis at his very best, watch the highlights from this game, spectacular goal and excellent link up play.

Get the lad to the top of his game and he can be unplayable.

McCarthy…meh always thought was abit overrated, wouldnt mind him though for a decent price.

• 46 Robby Bobson // Aug 3, 2013 at 12:22 AM

Video i mentioned above….ive seen him have shockers as well by the way.

• 47 manxpie // Aug 3, 2013 at 12:23 AM

ruddy you still on?
    i gotta pull ya up on something, you really think mata is better than bale?
    sorry but bale has improved in the last 2 years faster then anyone i’ve seen in a long time!
    i actually think when he goes to madrid he’ll be voted the best player in the world!
    if he was in a chelsea or manc team instead of spurs he’d probably allready be in the top 3 players in the world!
    he’s got pace, power and 1 of the sweetest left foots you’ll ever see!
    he’s the ultimate game changer really which is very, very hard if not impossible to replace!

• 48 Jail for Ashley // Aug 3, 2013 at 12:24 AM

The next one will be we could have done a Coventry !

• 49 potski // Aug 3, 2013 at 12:24 AM

YOY the same thing was said about Cisse and Ba, though I would not put him up with them.

He is definitely no world beater, and IF we sign him it will be because no bigger club will take him. But the videos show he has scored some good goals and he is different to Cisse. His touch is going to have be awful not to be an upgrade on Shola, not just in terms of football ability but in movement around the pitch. He looks strong and fairly quick. And above all he doesn’t have the injury history of Shola. Being able to play more than 60 minutes, and two games in a row will be a massive improvement

• 50 Novocastrian66 // Aug 3, 2013 at 12:25 AM

Yoy; the Bleacher Report is full of effluent. They rarely say anything positive about Newcastle United. Not that I give a lump. One interesting stat is; Gomis has less shots than the other players mentioned. This is portrayed as a negative in the article, yet he scored more goals? That tells me when he hits the ball he scores a goal.

• 51 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 3, 2013 at 12:26 AM

Manx

Yup, Mata is better than Bale in my opinion. Bale is inherently selfish, yes scores a lot of goals, but provides little in terms of creativity.

If he goes to Madrid I don’t think he will cut it unless he changes his style of play.

• 52 Toon-Prodigy // Aug 3, 2013 at 12:28 AM

So,

All going well, we are looking like we have scraped the barell. So long as there is no final hic-ups that is.

A gamble I’d rather not have seen or been put through, but hey, we are desperate. The season kicks off in a couple of weeks.

Not an ideal situation with Remy, we could still lose him next year if we do take him, but atleast we will have a player on our books who can play upfront for the coming season.

Don’t want to sound to down hearted here, but what a carry on this has been. Is it really necessary for any of what has went on this past 6 weeks? Madness.

Lets pretend we have one other signing after Gomis and Remy, which position would you bring in?

Left winger? Right back? Attacking Midfielder?

Which would be your priority?

• 53 AmeriToon // Aug 3, 2013 at 12:28 AM

Why would we want him? We have cabaye, sissoko, tiote, anita, bigi, and even vukic if he stays fit. When is the last time we have ever spent that much money on a player, this is just stupid paper talk. He may have a lot of potential but he is NOT worth 20 mill. When lampard was his age he went to chelsea for something around 10 mill, thats money well spent

• 54 Jail for Ashley // Aug 3, 2013 at 12:29 AM

I reckon 80/90 % of bloggers will know the answer to the question :
    If 5underland won it in 79 and Villa won it in 81, who won it in 80 ?

• 55 Robby Bobson // Aug 3, 2013 at 12:30 AM

49Novocastrian66

Thats what i thought, they turned high shot accuracy into a negative? Plus it says Modeste would be better…he is woeful! Ridiculous article, hes costing 7-8 million as well, not like liverpool paying 22 million for a perfectly good but not brilliant diego costa.

• 56 Novocastrian66 // Aug 3, 2013 at 12:31 AM

Manx; agree with you mate. No matter who Spurs sign they will struggle to replace Bale. As you pointed out not only is he a quality player he changes games in an instant. Even when one might feel he has been kept quiet he explodes into action. He is a wonderful player who wil blossom at Real Madrid.

• 57 Toon-Prodigy // Aug 3, 2013 at 12:31 AM

Jail,

Alreet,

This is the first time I’v logged on since 4 oclock yesterday morning. Which article were you posting on?

I’ll check it out?

• 58 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 3, 2013 at 12:31 AM

Jail

Brooking ;)

• 59 Big Pappa Cissé // Aug 3, 2013 at 12:34 AM

@ Ruddy

They are different types of players though. Mata is meant to be creative and thread passes through the eye of a needle.

I really like Mata and have him in my dream team but he isn’t better than Bale like. Don’t forget Bale is only 23 and the.fact Madrid want to pay the best part of £100 million shows his value.

There are players similar to Mata like Silva & Cazorla but not many like Bale. I remember watching him absoluteley destroy Maicon at will, thats when I knew he was world class.

• 60 Robby Bobson // Aug 3, 2013 at 12:34 AM

Toon-prodigy…a dominant beast of a centre half.

Alot of doom and gloom at times but if we pull gomis and remy off, how many people would have believed beginning of last season we would lose perch and ba for sissoko, mbwia, gouffran, debuchy, haidara, remy and gomis considering the high status of half of those players 12 months ago.

• 61 Jail for Ashley // Aug 3, 2013 at 12:38 AM

Toon Prodigy,
    I hope I’m wrong but once Gomis is signed I really can’t see Remy coming in, one was a smoke screen over the other, why on earth would they have let Leon Best go if they weren’t worried about a wage bill, Remy 40K, Cisse 40K , Gomis 40K and Leon Best 18/25K not wanted when it was obvious Demba Ba would be going .

• 62 Big Pappa Cissé // Aug 3, 2013 at 12:38 AM

@ Prodigy

Left footed winger, ideally Sinclair.

• 63 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 3, 2013 at 12:40 AM

Seriously think the Bale bubble will burst. Cristiano Ronaldo was a vastly superior player to Bale when he signed for Madrid for 80m.

BPC

In your opinion Bale is better than Mata, in mine he is not. Simple. Bale isn’t even the best player in the league as far as I am concerned.

• 64 Lowesy // Aug 3, 2013 at 12:42 AM

Decent player, over-inflated price. Not worth it yet but probably will be someday. Wouldn’t surprise me if Newcastle missed out on buying him this season and then at the end of next season he makes a big money move to one of the Manc clubs. Seems like the way, we’re interested but not willing to pay a lot so we miss out, the player becomes amazing and moves on and we’re left wondering ‘what if…?’ £20m is too much right now though, £8-10m maybe because he’s proven in the PL.

• 65 manxpie // Aug 3, 2013 at 12:43 AM

haha ruddy bit defensive there aren’t ya!?
    mata is no where near the class of bale and i feel the next few years will prove my oppinion to be fact
    you say he’s “inherently selfish” but aren’t all the top players?
    would you say the same about ronaldo or messi?
    imo bale is the best player in the prem right now and recent interest kind off proves that really!?

• 66 Crow59 // Aug 3, 2013 at 12:44 AM

One word……Hoillett???? Thoughts??

• 67 Big Pappa Cissé // Aug 3, 2013 at 12:45 AM

@ Ruddy

That is the great thing about the blog, the difference in opinions.

However Bale single handidly carried Spurs last season at times and was unstoppable at times. You can’t honestly say the same about Mata IMO.

• 68 Yohan Kebab // Aug 3, 2013 at 12:45 AM

st mirren and brighton after campbell on loan, i reckon he will go st mirres, pards was impressed with them

• 69 Yohan Kebab // Aug 3, 2013 at 12:46 AM

crow59

for 2m and 30kpw yes, any more, no

• 70 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 3, 2013 at 12:46 AM

Manx

Torres was signed for 50m, AC for 35m. Big money signings proves nothing.

Defensive of the fact that you’re coming across as if you’re correcting me? Yes, as I think it is very arrogant of you.

I find it interesting how people accuse the likes of myself and Jail of abusing and bullying yet I’m sat here having you force your opinion down my throat as if it is fact.

The irony of double standards :)

• 71 Jail for Ashley // Aug 3, 2013 at 12:46 AM

Ruddy,
    It draws the question a house is only worth what people are willing to pay, I have just worked near Grimsby which believe it or not have some beautiful areas where the houses are dirt cheap compared to similar houses even in Tyneside.

• 72 manxpie // Aug 3, 2013 at 12:47 AM

ruddy but he was playing for at the time the best club in the league man
    the bale bubble as you say will only get bigger i seriously can’t see why you think he’s gonna flop or his bubble will burst??
    he’s a player that every top club in the world would want simple as that really!

• 73 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 3, 2013 at 12:47 AM

BPC

Because Chelsea are a better overall team than Spurs, not a reflection on Mata’s ability in my opinion.

• 74 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 3, 2013 at 12:49 AM

Manx

Reconcile the fact that I disagree with you? Now behave.

• 75 Lowesy // Aug 3, 2013 at 12:49 AM

Ruddy -
    He is a completely different player to Mata, he’s, in my opinion, the best at what he does which is running, at pace, with the ball. That’s what Bale is all about, he has good ball control at a bloody quick speed. Mata finds space and passes. I don’t think either player could do what the other does and be as successful at it. Bale is too inconsistent in my eyes though, some games he’s not around for 85 minutes then just pops up to run and score. At least Mata’s constantly involved. But, maybe Bale will improve again and if he does, whoa Nelly!

• 76 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 3, 2013 at 12:51 AM

Jail

Exactly, someone mentioned the difference between worth and value with regards Gomis earlier on, in the sense that the reason we spent a little over the odds was because we needed a striker, so his worth to us was a little more than market value.

Bale’s worth to Spurs may be 85m, or even 100m, as he is the brightest talent they have, but dear Lord the man is nowhere near worth that kind of money!

• 77 Yohan Kebab // Aug 3, 2013 at 12:53 AM

bale is a bigger risk for madrid than ronaldo was

imo it is stupid if they swap one for the other, however bale would be a great signing for them, he would make it into their first XI

• 78 Jail for Ashley // Aug 3, 2013 at 12:53 AM

Ruddy,
    Tevez and Suarez are hoth tw@ts but one is worth 12M and the other is worth 40M,
    how does that work out ?

• 79 manxpie // Aug 3, 2013 at 12:53 AM

ruddy wat are you on about like all i said was i was pulling you up on your opinion that mata was better than bale
    i.e telling you which opinion i was on about!
    and then telling you my opinion on that subject!
    is that not called debating!??

• 80 Crow59 // Aug 3, 2013 at 12:53 AM

Chelsea have strength in depth along with a team that have gelled and gain in experience together.

On the hoilett front Im just so desperate for a left sided attacking player and as sinclair is clearly on his way elsewhere i cant think of many more prem experienced players in that bracket. 4m and 35k and ill reckon he will climb diCk mountain mouth first to get here

• 81 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 3, 2013 at 12:54 AM

Lowesy

I’m not saying Bale and Mata are similar players, but they do play the same position generally and thus in my eyes must be compared.

People are looking at the fact that because Bale does it solely for Spurs with no help he is then standalone one of the league’s best because he carries Spurs, if Mata was in the Spurs team last season he’d be lauded as the single player who can consistently pick a pass on a sixpence.

Goals means glory, but it does not mean he is a worse player. Mata is a world class player, Bale doesn’t have the ability to do what he does, Bale is a runner, a dribbler and a wicked shot, but yes he is inconsistent, the one thing he cannot do is lay it on a plate for a team mate with any regularity.

It’s not his game, but his game is worse for it in my opinion.

• 82 Big Pappa Cissé // Aug 3, 2013 at 12:55 AM

@ Ruddy

But for every Torres or Carroll there are Aguero’s & Silva’s . You generally get what you pay for. If it was so well known Mata is better than Bale why isn’t he being chased by the likes of Bayern, Barca or Madrid ? .

Bale is probably the second best at what he does in the world, 1st being Ronaldo. There are so many players equal or better than Mata:

Iniesta
    Xavi
    Silva
    Cazorla
    Gotze

• 83 Lowesy // Aug 3, 2013 at 12:55 AM

Crow59 -
    Tom Ince, not PL experienced yet but decent.

• 84 Yohan Kebab // Aug 3, 2013 at 12:56 AM

i think remy and gomis and we are set, remy can play wide right of a 3 man attack and jonas will up his game, if we do decide to go 442 i would go santon lw with a more defensive fullback

• 85 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 3, 2013 at 12:57 AM

Manx

The phrase “pulling you up” has, in my mind, corrective connotations, it’s a matter of how your comment is perceived.

You’re not delivering your comments as opinions:

haha ruddy bit defensive there aren’t ya!?
    you say he’s “inherently selfish” but aren’t all the top players?
    would you say the same about ronaldo or messi?

ruddy but he was playing for at the time the best club in the league man

I would call the above as delivering your opinions as facts.

So in answer to your question, no that is not debating.

• 86 manxpie // Aug 3, 2013 at 12:58 AM

ruddy ya an absolute areshole man quite simply!!
    i see know one else agrees with ya opinion on mata but a few have agreed with me
    so how about you “behave” tosser!

• 87 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 3, 2013 at 1:00 AM

BPC

Gotze better than Mata? Cazorla better than Mata? Silva (on last season’s form) better than Mata?

Xavi and Iniesta are two of the finest midfield players to have ever played the game so I will concede there.

Mata is one of the three best players in the league, the others being Suarez and Bale, though I’d have Bale third in that list.

• 88 AmeriToon // Aug 3, 2013 at 1:02 AM

@big pappa cisse
    I agree, after striker a left winger is what the team needs the most. There is no width in the team and Sinclair would be ideal since he is only 24, can cross a ball well, is very fast, and would score some goals and would probably cost around 5 mill

• 89 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 3, 2013 at 1:02 AM

Manx

Mark Twain once said, “if you find yourself in the majority it is time to pause and reflect”

No need for the insults, you’ve lost all credibility when you do that.

• 90 Lowesy // Aug 3, 2013 at 1:02 AM

BPC -
    Mata is better than Cazorla and (at the moment) Gotze. Silva is too injury prone and doesn’t play enough and I think Xavi’s game is too deep to be as similar to Mata. Iniesta is the most like for like you got there. If Spain didn’t have him I would say that Mata would be playing every game for them.

Ruddy -
    We’ll have to wait and see if assisting is something he can improve upon. I agree with you, they do play similar positions which is why you’d have to make a call on one or the other. The break from deep and shot, or the creative on-a-plate. Personally, I’d like both, but at least with Bale he doesn’t have to rely on someone to put it away for him? Maybe?

• 91 Big Pappa Cissé // Aug 3, 2013 at 1:03 AM

@ Ruddy

I would say Gotze is better, Silva equal although not on last seasons form and Cazorla not far behind.

• 92 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 3, 2013 at 1:04 AM

Lowesy

Surely the point of having an AM is for him to put it on a plate for the ST? I’d imagine STs getting very frustrated with Bale if his shots from outside the box started missing on a regular basis, wouldn’t you?

• 93 Jail for Ashley // Aug 3, 2013 at 1:04 AM

Toon Prodigy,
    I am not going to get carried away by rumours and I won’t see it as significant investment unless Gomis, Remy and Sinclair or similar player is brought in .

• 94 Big Pappa Cissé // Aug 3, 2013 at 1:07 AM

The lad Dortmund have just signed Mkthririan is meant to be quality as well.

I like this debate :) , how about another :

Reus or Bale ?

• 95 Crow59 // Aug 3, 2013 at 1:07 AM

Lowesy

He was my original choice but feel hes far to expensive and that the deals dead for this summer unfortunately. Still a glimmer of hope for sinclair as hes pretty much declared hes moving on twitter but the club as yet is unknown. Time will tell though and after the news today about two lots of terms agreed, im going to remain positive for a change.

As for the Joey K saga turning up mortal to meetings, its pure bull. Funny though and tbh he must have been pissed to even attend a meeting with darren sicknote attitude bent bent.

• 96 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 3, 2013 at 1:08 AM

I thought Gotze was a bit overrated in the number of Bundesliga and CL games I saw him play in. He has bags of ability and potential to develop though.

He will develop well under Pep who will probably centre him as the main assist maker in his Bayern team but on current ability I still have to go with Mata.

The beauty of a blog is the rich tapestry of opinions I suppose though

• 97 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 3, 2013 at 1:09 AM

Reus is excellent, a very classy player, but in this instance I am going to have to say Bale, though I think Reus’ passing ability and crossing is better.

• 98 Lowesy // Aug 3, 2013 at 1:09 AM

Ruddy -
    Goals win games, if you have someone who can cut out the effort of say, three players, and get you that goal, wouldn’t you want that player? I’d say the strikers would get frustrated, I’d tell them tough. If they want the ball off someone who’s going to score a goal because they want to score one themselves then aren’t they being selfish? (I suppose as strikers they have the right to be) but you get my meaning. Hopefully they would up their game to get the ball.

Just playing Devil’s advocate here.

• 99 manxpie // Aug 3, 2013 at 1:15 AM

it weren’t an insult ruddy it was my opinion how dare you pull me up on my opinion or are they facts!?
    i mean i’d never throw insults about spelling and punctuation to look like an absolute fool would i?
    i’d still say that mata is no where near the class of bale imo
    and imo i’m right is that better???
    because i’ve added in my opinion?
    it ain’t my fault ya read it the wrong and paranoid way is it!?

• 100 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 3, 2013 at 1:15 AM

Lowesy

Totally understand where you’re coming from. My point is that Bale has had an explosive 6 months, but nothing more. In the first half of last season he was decidedly average, and it was only until December time that he really started to take off.

How can a player be worth 85m on the basis of half a season? Surely we as Newcastle players can see how quickly players can go off form.

Bale is human, and could have a disastrous season next year.

• 101 Lowesy // Aug 3, 2013 at 1:17 AM

Ruddy -
    ‘Surely we as Newcastle players can see how quickly players can go off form.’ Bloody wish I was a Newcastle player, but they never put my kit up in the locker room…

• 102 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 3, 2013 at 1:18 AM

Manx

You called me an @rsehole and a tosser. If your opinion is an insult, it is still an insult…

Everyone thinks their opinion is right, you’re hardly going to proffer an opinion you think is wrong.

In my opinion I think I am right.

But yes, putting “in my opinion” does change the tone of what you’re saying. Not paranoid, just simple sentence structure buddy.

• 103 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 3, 2013 at 1:18 AM

Lowesy

Haha meant to say, surely we as Newcastle fans can see how quickly players can go off form haha

• 104 Toon-Prodigy // Aug 3, 2013 at 1:20 AM

Robby Bobson,

A centre half, really..

Think we are well equipped in that department. I know what you mean though, a proper commanding centre half is what we lack. Presence.

We have brought in five players in January, but, how many would we have brought in if we had not been on the verge of relegation? No doubt we would of been tippy tappying about like this window.

Not sure about yourself, but I hate these gambles year after year, they slow us down, we cannot progress this way. Lack of forward planning and ambition.

Jail,

We tried to keep Ba right up until the last minute, he always knew he was going but didn’t lay his cards out or be honest about his true intentions. I hate him for that, I really do. I can remember his twitter posts very well, how he says he was staying at NUFC blah blah, blaming his agents and all the rest for the commotion and unrest.

He was always going. Shame about Best but Ba didn’t give us much of an inkling about his future.

Why on earth it takes us 6 month to a year to identify and replace a forward is anyones guess. It happens time and time again. Not just with strikers but other positions also.

Big Papa,

I’d love to see Scott Sinclair come in. Young lad, plenty to prove, skillful not scared to take a player on.

• 105 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 3, 2013 at 1:26 AM

Right well we put the world to rights tonight lads, it’s been a good one! No doubt we’ll have plenty more before too long.

All the best!

• 106 manxpie // Aug 3, 2013 at 1:26 AM

no ruddy you instantly had a go at me about the question i asked ya?
    which was a difference of opinion that was all!!?
    no hidden agenda at all just a difference of opinion!
    but you showed your true colours “buddy”!

which imo makes me think youi are an arse imo :)

• 107 Toon-Prodigy // Aug 3, 2013 at 1:28 AM

Jail,

Goes without saying, one thing I have learnt with this regime is do not get your hopes up haha.

• 108 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 3, 2013 at 1:28 AM

Manx

Didn’t have a go, not my fault if you read it wrong or are paranoid.

• 109 Big Pappa Cissé // Aug 3, 2013 at 1:29 AM

Night ladies. Always a pleasure ;)

• 110 manxpie // Aug 3, 2013 at 1:32 AM

ruddy
    “However, this is an opinion, therefore you’re not pulling me up on something, an opinion isn’t exactly something to be corrected is it?”

• 111 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 3, 2013 at 1:34 AM

Never once tried to correct you, me using your words against you had a purpose, whereas you’ve just reminded me of how right I am :)

• 112 Jail for Ashley // Aug 3, 2013 at 1:36 AM

T-P
    World wide known fact that prices ha e gone up due to world television demand and sponsorship yet our owner almosts risks going without because he loves a bargain.

• 113 Toon-Prodigy // Aug 3, 2013 at 1:43 AM

Jail,

A man who loves gambles and bargains.

It could only happen to NUFC.

I bet he was a brilliant saver as a boy.

Numerous piggy banks, one for each room I bet.

• 114 manxpie // Aug 3, 2013 at 1:44 AM

ruddy so your saying thats not paranoid or argumentative!!
    for no reason at all but hey if it makes ya feel better fella carry on i usually bypass your comments anyways

• 115 EastEndMagpie // Aug 3, 2013 at 1:47 AM

be great to get these 2 “over the line”

Krul

Anita
    Marveux
    Sammy
    Gomis

• 116 Ruddy Marveaux-lous // Aug 3, 2013 at 1:48 AM

Manx

Ever hear of a tongue in cheek comment? Bypass them by all means, don’t care to engage with people who hurl insults, however it is a good barometer of when I know someone’s lost a handle on a debate.

Feel free to insult me, call me argumentative, or paranoid, or whatever it is you want to say as I am sure you will want the final word on this “debate”, usually I want the last word but in this case I don’t care as it means nothing as I couldn’t be bothered responding to your nonsense :)

• 117 manxpie // Aug 3, 2013 at 1:58 AM

oh so now your arguementative comment was tongue in cheek now and not actually meant for its purpose!?
    anyways cheers ruddy well your an unbelievably condescending arsehole

• 118 toonicle // Aug 3, 2013 at 3:08 AM

Why another midfield player? It’s really the only position we are flush with players except LB.

• 119 Thump // Aug 3, 2013 at 3:30 AM

£20m?

• 120 jimmysmith // Aug 3, 2013 at 3:54 AM

Harry Redknap is quite literally turning into the spitting image of a characature of himself. You reap what you sew pal. Dodgy!

• 121 Brisvegas // Aug 3, 2013 at 4:03 AM

Anyone interested in a head-to-head league?

Code to join. Limited to 20 players. : 503845-165007.

Half way there already. 10 needed.

• 122 sir_norman // Aug 3, 2013 at 4:27 AM

we should offer 5-8 million plus a player to sweeten the deal, maybe amalfitano or obertan. But knowing the history between Mike Ashley and Dave Whelan, i dont think this will be an easy catch.

• 123 ilovetoon8788 // Aug 3, 2013 at 4:52 AM

Roma are said to be in talks with Arsenal for Gervinho.

He got himself wasted there. I think he could have been a cracking player for us.

• 124 count // Aug 3, 2013 at 5:25 AM

Yeah…well that’s just, like, your opinion man…..

• 125 geordie157 // Aug 3, 2013 at 6:32 AM

Gomis, Remy would be good for starters. Then add a couple of youngsters to add more depth ie Harry Maguire and maybe zoet.

With hearts in such a mess I think we could chance Callum Paterson for about 300k then loan him out, had a great game vs Liverpool in the Europa qualifier.

• 126 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 3, 2013 at 6:32 AM

Where are we this morning on signings? Any truth in all the rumors?

…so now Irish players are also worth £20M; you know we could get both Eriksen and Andersen from Ajax for that kind of money :-)

What are you guys eating let alone smooking ovee there in the UK? lol

• 127 cyprus // Aug 3, 2013 at 6:47 AM

20 mil??! A joke.

Maybe, max. 4-5. For that kind of money we could get 4-5 very decent young talents from Latin America.

Any suggestions Colo?

• 128 The puppy formerly known as prince // Aug 3, 2013 at 7:01 AM

JFK interview:

Well I laughed at it, always good to start the day with a laugh.

• 129 Brutooon // Aug 3, 2013 at 7:03 AM

20 millions? we can buy 20 frenchmen

• 130 SeanNufc87 // Aug 3, 2013 at 7:19 AM

Sorry but the lad isnt worth more than 4 million, hes in the championship, hes 22 so hes not an out n out youngster anymore… we got bigi for 1 and id say hes at least on par if not better for his age.

Dont remember if hes gone but id say if we were to go for him bump the price to 10-12 n get that kernt mcmanaman too, he can be cover for debuchy, got a cracking left foot.

• 131 Premiership Manager // Aug 3, 2013 at 7:29 AM

I love the optimism!

It’s a well known fact that the Management team have stated we would sign 1 player possibly 2 and now we are being linked with every man and his dog as usual.

Has Gomis signed and has there been a formal announcement about Remy?

The answer to both is no.

The only way we would look at McCarthy is if Cabaye was sold and even then with the number of midfield players it’s very questionable as to whether we would need to replace him, especially given that we paid £8m for Anita to warm the bench.

We also have Gosling who was heralded as the next Steven Gerrard.

I also haven’t mentioned Santon who I believe would thrive on a midfield role passing and distributing the ball. If we continue to use him at the back he will be wasted and never achieve his potential.

As for playing 4-3-3 I am sure that the average age on this forum must be about 14 with most bloggers playing fantasy football day in day out.

We need to be versatile and be able to play a variety of formations including 4-5-1 for difficult away games against the better teams.

Gomis and Remy if signed will offer options but they will not fix the world.

If you watch Gomis there was a certain No 10 threading him balls to die for and that is what we are missing, the link up play and creativity in addition to the ability to pass the ball and retain possession.

3 forwards leave you weak in midfield and if you put HBA on the pitch if he doesn’t have a blinder you are playing with 10 men and that is something that should never happen.

We need heart and commitment, you can put all the skill on the table you want however without heart and commitment we will never improve.

I’m happy at the back as we have lots of options particularly if Dummet is inducted into the first team. the midfield is solid and providing we sign Remy and Gomis we have a good team to build on.

I don’t think Gomis will be happy on the bench however if things work out that’s what may happen but at least we will have options and that is something else we have been lacking

• 132 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 3, 2013 at 7:33 AM

Still wouldn’t pay £10-12M for an Irish International Championship player at 22.

Throw in an extra £2M and you could get Eriksen or maybe even Fischer!

Does anyone know why not that many UK players are playing outside the UK? Well here’s the reason why! :-) lol

• 133 Toon-Prodigy // Aug 3, 2013 at 7:40 AM

I can’t see us signing anyone else really, It takes us 6-7 weeks to lodge a decent bid in and negotiate terms haha.

Not enough time left!!!

We have just started graft for Januarys window now, getting the formalities out the way.

(JK)

• 134 jazzyp // Aug 3, 2013 at 7:40 AM

Morning lads
    It amazes me that some people on here are setting there selves up for a crap season before we have even kicked a ball.
    Why even bother supporting the club if all you are going to do is look for the negatives rather than to try and enjoy the season for what it is.
    I appreciate last season was shocking, And I admittedly did waiver at points through the season.But come on guys this is the start of a new season and we could have another cracker like the season before.

• 135 SeanNufc87 // Aug 3, 2013 at 7:46 AM

Well said jazzy

Lets have a positive only Saturday!

• 136 Toon-Prodigy // Aug 3, 2013 at 7:50 AM

Divn’t worry lads, couple of weeks time the chatting will be back on the football.

Only two weeks left ripping the life out of these pair of crooks behind the scenes.

• 137 Magpie from Lithuania // Aug 3, 2013 at 7:51 AM

Hey guys, how about Victor Moses from Chelsea? Can he play LW?

• 138 toon kk // Aug 3, 2013 at 7:52 AM

You don’t here other premier league clubs after agreeing a price for a player saying it depends on personal terms.
    Typical MA will probably miss out on targets due to not wanting to pay the going rate for wages. Thats what happened with Remy.

• 139 SeanNufc87 // Aug 3, 2013 at 7:53 AM

Prodigy

Are you like me and are actually annoyed that our games on the monday and I have to wait an extra two frickin days?! Morning lads btw

• 140 jazzyp // Aug 3, 2013 at 7:54 AM

Seannufc
    Damn right mate. We are on the verge of our first two signings of the summer, Me personally am very excited about REMY as he will provide something the team have not got-pace and goals.
    Im not really as enthused about gomis but I hope he proves me wrong and becomes a star for nufc.
    Mcarthy is a good player but I see no place for the lad as midfield is a place we are well stocked.

• 141 SeanNufc87 // Aug 3, 2013 at 7:55 AM

Mag from Lithuania

Thats a fantastic call! I cant believe I didnt think of it. Yes he can play left wing, he would also be cover for striker, prem experience, jose probably wont want him, 6-8 mil for moses anyone?

• 142 Zero // Aug 3, 2013 at 7:57 AM

Anyone know if we are still interested in Siem De Jong? if we get him in addition to Remy it’ll be a hellish front line.

Also just noticed the malicous popups again, not sure if it was just a side advert but ive been hit twice with a fake java update on this site.

• 143 IITianToon // Aug 3, 2013 at 7:58 AM

@Sean but theres a problem, both Santon and Moses are right footed who cut inside.. so I dont think it would work well.

But hey if it moves Guti to the bench, I’m all for it!

However, does anybody really think we would be starting without Guti, especially against Man city where Pards would want to eke out a 0-0.. unlikely.

• 144 DG MAGPIE // Aug 3, 2013 at 7:59 AM

I’d say the chance of Dave Whelan selling anyone to Mike Ashley are slim to non

• 145 SeanNufc87 // Aug 3, 2013 at 8:01 AM

Jazzy

As I said in an earlier post, I rate bigi the same as Mccarthy n hes younger, we have cabaye, sissoko, tiote, anita and probably guti and bigi in front of him, id take that d*ck mcmanaman though as long as he apologises to massadio.

• 146 SeanNufc87 // Aug 3, 2013 at 8:04 AM

Iitian toon

Remy is also right footed I believe, as is goofy. I agree with a lot on here, its time to push santon up and give a more defensive player the lb role.

• 147 jazzyp // Aug 3, 2013 at 8:05 AM

Tiantoon
    If we were to sign remy and gomis then there will be no place for Jonas apart from the bench.
    Zero
    siem de jong has stated he will not be leaving ajax this season and played last night in there 3-2 win over roda.
    What bugs me that we have offered 8 mill +2mill bonus for gomis,And for this money we could have secured de jong’s services.
    De jong or gomis=NO BRAINER

• 148 SeanNufc87 // Aug 3, 2013 at 8:06 AM

Dg magpie

I dont think he has a lot of choice tbh mate, I know they hate each other but wigan were struggling being in the prem, I genuinely fear they might dissappear like pompy, only thing that might save them is the fa cup.

• 149 SeanNufc87 // Aug 3, 2013 at 8:10 AM

Jazzy

Id take de jong over gomis any day but de jong said himself he wants to stay.

• 150 lesh // Aug 3, 2013 at 8:13 AM

Toon-Prodigy, Jail, thanks for the troll guide.

And Jail, apart from Jeremy Vine and Alex Lester, what’s an owls fart like me supposed to do? Read great news about Newcastle United all day??

• 151 jazzyp // Aug 3, 2013 at 8:17 AM

Seannufc
    The thing that puzzles me mate is we went in for him in jan and again we apparantely enquired about him this summer. DE jong himself stated that it may be time to move on-I think that was an invitation to come and get me and we did nothing !!

• 152 SeanNufc87 // Aug 3, 2013 at 8:19 AM

Jazzy

I don’t see us getting him until cabaye goes tbh mate, think he will be direct replacement.

• 153 Big Pappa Cissé // Aug 3, 2013 at 8:32 AM

@ lithuania

Victor Moses is a dood shout like, although I would prefer Remy. We should have went for Marin before they let him go as well.

• 154 bobby mango // Aug 4, 2013 at 9:01 AM

Personally I don’t understand this… Typical hierarchy not having a clue about the team. Last year we signed Anita when central midfield was our strongest position. This year it looks like we’re doing the same again (plus Gomis).

The only way this makes sense is if Cabaye or Tiote leave. I still wouldn’t prioritise this deal. If Remy falls through (which is looking likely) a wide forward of his quality should be a priority.

In theory we should be able to go for more than one player at a time but our board seem completely incapable of getting even one player ‘over the line’

Will add I like McCarthy and don’t think the fee would be anywhere near 20m… Point is we need to be looking at one or two other areas.

previous post: Newcastle To Pay £2M For Remy Loan – But Not Signed Yet

next post: Marseilles In For Gomis – 5% Sell-On Fee Now A Problem?