Two Issues To Get Gomis Signed Are Not Showstoppers

Newcastle have agreed the initial transfer fee plus add-ons with Lyon for Bafetimbi Gomis, and wages have also been agreed with the French International striker.

bafetimbi gomis in white

Bafetimbi Gomis – near a Newcastle move

As we reported earlier today, L’Equipe has been reporting there are two issues still to be agreed for the deal to close:

• The fees to be paid to Gomis representatives
  • Which club will pay the sell-on fee of 5% due to his former club Saint Etienne, who Gomis left four years ago for Lyon for €13M on a five yeardeal

The usual way the sell-on fee is paid is it comes out of the fee the selling club gets, so it should be paid by Lyon.

But it looks like Lyon President Jean-Michel Aulas is trying to get Newcastle to pay it, or at least some potion of it – maybe the clubs could split that down the middle.

But 5% of the initial fee of €8M is €400K which is about £340K, so we are not talking about a show-stopper here.

The other difficulty is a little more hard to gauge, and Newcastle have to come to some agreement on how much to pay his (many) representatives, because agents these days tend to be a little greedy, to say the least.

And since Newcastle seemed to back down a little bit, after initially not wanting to pay the €2M in add-on fees, it’s hardly likely that paying a little bit more will stop Newcastle completing this deal, when we are so close.

We hope it will not stop the deal going through. 😀

But that has happened before, with Mathieu Debuchy from Lyon last summer, and Turksih striker Mevlut Erdinc from PSG two years ago, when Newcastle refused to pay what was being asked by their clubs.

We are hoping Newcastle will have learned from their past experiences.

What do you think?

Comments welcome, but please be civil and respectful to other readers, and keep the comments to football and Newcastle – thanks.

Note: Reader Mark Harding has kindly set up a Fantasy Football League for the coming season for readers of this blog.
The code is 3178-173427, and you can sign up for it HERE.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

• ted

Aug 3, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Expatmag is a soft heeded schmuck!

• Big Pappa Cissé

Aug 3, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Just do the deal ASAP . The wait is killing me.

• expatmag

Aug 3, 2013 at 4:01 PM

TED

Yep, whatever

• Goodfella

Aug 3, 2013 at 4:01 PM

From previous

Pablo sarabia is just the type of player we need young talented playmaker who can keep the ball when under pressure

• expatmag

Aug 3, 2013 at 4:02 PM

MIKE

Fair enough then

With regard to football, what is your source re: Sarabia and how much do you think he woul;d cost?

• toonarmydownsouth

Aug 3, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Mac Toon
    Was following NewcastleFansUnited@NUFCFansUtd

Was a decent update, bit hard to follow, obviously questions and answers flying around so spent a bit of time going through it, matching the Q and A’s to each other!

Yeah the PR lad sounded like he took a bit of stick at the start but looking at his answers he handled it well, and most importantly professionally which makes a nice change!

Maybe you could email Ed a link to the minutes?

• expatmag

Aug 3, 2013 at 4:04 PM

BPC

Thanks mate, Appreciate your comment

• Shadow_Shearer

Aug 3, 2013 at 4:04 PM

When are they finally gonna reveal this guy and remy with the newcastle strips

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Aug 3, 2013 at 4:05 PM

From what I’ve seen of his stats (not everything I know) he hasn’t played a lot of football, he’s played 32 times for Getafe with 1 goal.

I dunno if he’s any good, so I’ll defer to people who know more about him.

• wolfshead@toon

Aug 3, 2013 at 4:05 PM

sounds like they are holding us to ransom

• ted

Aug 3, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Obnoxious little turd @ 9!

• expatmag

Aug 3, 2013 at 4:10 PM

As Remy isn’t in the team today, we should know by tomorrow whether he is coming to us or not.

Toondanno mentioned earlier about medicals being arranged at the club and Mike Ashley reckons Sarabia is in toon,

As for Gomis, it is anyones guess but out of principal, I wouldn’t be paying the 5% to St,Ettienne either.

• Rooster

Aug 3, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Three signings in by Wednesday, its taking some time hasn’t it, better late than not ever!

THE LINK IS DYNAMO, well worth a watch.

• Mister Tuff

Aug 3, 2013 at 4:11 PM

ruddy -previous thread – really should not waste time on these things -but as I suspected a dig at me and expat – I thought a response was required. Really should perhaps not waste my time trawling up what others have said -but I did. I just googled nufc blog with the posters name and then check out the blog link.
    I perhaps do have some sympathy with mikeashleysamackem point as a pet hate of mine (just tolerable) is when the younger ones talk about groups/bands I’ve never heard of.

• wolfshead@toon

Aug 3, 2013 at 4:11 PM

ted :-0

• expatmag

Aug 3, 2013 at 4:12 PM

RUDDY

Don’t get sucked in mate, Best policy is to ignore.

• Novocastrian66

Aug 3, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Mike; nowt wrong in catching up with people while nowt happening. Anyway about this player Sarabia, what is the craic? What have you heard and where from?

• expatmag

Aug 3, 2013 at 4:14 PM

TUFF

You’ve never heard of the Beatles,,,,,,,,,LOL

• Shadow_Shearer

Aug 3, 2013 at 4:14 PM

We were looking at a nice round figure of around 5 million for this guy, we are now closer 2 paying 10million, and now lyon want us 2 the 5% they owe 2 this previous club from four years ago!! They are taking da piss!!!

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Aug 3, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Tuff

Sometimes I am guilty of that myself, sorry lad haha

Expat

I won’t don’t worry lad, I’d a feeling it might have been Ian on the rampage but he came out in the guise of Ted Bundy to affirm us of that fact so now I am certain he’s of the plana/jeff mould, as he uses the same phrase “obnoxious little turd” when insulting people.

He doesn’t realise how easily outed he is.

• ilovetoon8788

Aug 3, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Bafatembi Gomis is a great striker. Lots of power. Might form an excellent partnership with Cisse.

Even if he does come, Cisse will still be the main man scoring the bulk of goals but Gomis will come in handy in assisting Cisse. Excited.

But will let it drown until i see him holding the black and white stripes. Till then…………..

• wolfshead@toon

Aug 3, 2013 at 4:18 PM

anyone using ted bundy as an i.d is a knob anyway

• Twatter

Aug 3, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Tired of seeing people getting sucked in by these WUMs.

• Mister Tuff

Aug 3, 2013 at 4:19 PM

expat -you scumbag – I well and truly set myself up for that one.

• expatmag

Aug 3, 2013 at 4:22 PM

TUFF

Yes, you did.

Have you still got your collection of 78s…….lol

• Ted Bundy

Aug 3, 2013 at 4:24 PM

FFS, I’ve explained once it’s my real name and I’ve got no affiliation with Iantoon or anybody else. I only made my account a few days ago, after reading for around 2 years. Maybe you’re the ‘knobs’, Wolfshead, jumping all over new bloggers, just because they share a name with a notorious killer – I don’t mind jibes about it, kind of get used to it, living with it for so long, but like I said to Ruddy, it says more about you if you judge my character by my name, than it does me having it.

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Aug 3, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Bearsize from previous thread:

Bearsize

I’ve a funny feeling that Remy and Gomis could be our summer business, if indeed we get them in, although I am open to the prospect of being surprised.

I think it’s very disappointing that we’ve waited so long to make any progress in the transfer market, with just 2 weeks until the start of the season we’ve signed no one, which is very frustrating.

I agree that we need to stretch teams and get in behind them, but in order to do that we need to have attacking midfield players capable of beating the man in front of them, at the moment I don’t think we have player, save for HBA, with this ability.

I do think Anita, Sissoko and possibly Debuchy will have much better seasons but I am very unsure about Santon, his defensive ability seems to depend on whether Colo is keeping him in check or not, which is not good enough for a full back at this level. Santon needs to ship up defensively this season.

Pardew does need to have flexibility in terms of both rotation of players and tactics, something he has shown incapable of doing in the past 2 seasons, and something I feel he will continue doing in the upcoming season.

I wouldn’t mind if he stuck with an attack minded team with fluid tactics, but he is stuck with his usual poor players despite others on the bench being more worthy of a game, and his tactics rarely inspire us fans.

Here’s hoping for a better season, but not holding my breath.

• mikeashleyisamackem

Aug 3, 2013 at 4:25 PM

from the airport ,thats what i hear from my boss
    i think we will be looking at 25 million tbh he is that good i dont know about his contract etc but jose m at chelsea wants him and he is good mates with pardew maybe he has been reccomended we will see i dont know how true or un true

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Aug 3, 2013 at 4:25 PM

It says more about me? Not too sure about that.

• lesh

Aug 3, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Expat.

Who or what are the Beetles?

Are they one of those beat combos and have they had any tunes in the hit parade?

• expatmag

Aug 3, 2013 at 4:29 PM

MIKE ASHLEY

25 M quid?

He wont be signing for us then

• expatmag

Aug 3, 2013 at 4:31 PM

LESH

No mate, just a bunch of kinky insects that used to live in the shadow of some jagged rolling stones down scouseland somewhere

• mikeashleyisamackem

Aug 3, 2013 at 4:31 PM

well he is a great player maybe newcastle will suprise us

• Unbelievable Tekkers

Aug 3, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Mike – unless your boss is the fat man himself I think I’ll take that comment with a pinch of salt

• Bearsize

Aug 3, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Repost Ruddy
    I agree with the midfielders, we do need a bit of magic in there. Not sure ben afra is the answer for number 10 i know some people think he is the answer but he gets ‘options overload’ in the middle and tries to much, at least on the wing he can cut inside or get to byline. Hope he proves me wrong though.
    Do you ever get the feeling the board frustrate us this much on purpose, just to get us desperate for anyone coming in? If we are spending NUFC’s money and not ashleys why is he so tight? He has nothing to lose by paying an extra million out of the clubs pot to get someone over the line

• Grey Lord

Aug 3, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Ted Bundy ?? Havin a laff- If ya are usin ya reel name yud b the 1st in da histry uv dis blog. People wiv names lak dat keep em priv8 m8

• expatmag

Aug 3, 2013 at 4:34 PM

If we paid that amount for a player, I would change my allegiance to the mackems

well,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,maybe not that severe

• mikeashleyisamackem

Aug 3, 2013 at 4:34 PM

time will tell

• Twatter

Aug 3, 2013 at 4:36 PM

@mikeashleyisamackem

Please, kindly f**k off.

• expatmag

Aug 3, 2013 at 4:37 PM

BEARSIZE

The problem as I see it with Ben Arfa is that he wont pass the ball and invariably runs up blind alleys.

If as Cabaye has been saying recently that our gtraining is all about ball retention, 2 touch [passing and movement, then Arfa would be very dangerous if he adapts. If he doesn’t, then he is not much benefit to the team

1 2 3 9