The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Kinnear – We Are Fighting Hard And Close To Some Signings

5:03 pm, Sunday, August 4th, 2013 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 32 Comments

Newcastle’s Director of Football Joe Kinnear gave an interview last Sunday, when he said that his aim was to get good players in, so that Newcastle could eventually challenge for a Champions League place.

joe kinnear

Joe Kinnear – interviewed by Sky Sports

And today he has given another interview to Sky Sports, and this time he says while it’s difficult in the transfer market, he is fighting hard and that Newcastle are close to some deals.

This is what Joe said today:

“I’m well aware that everyone is concerned about the lack of transfers and rightly so, but I’m not dragging my heels in any manner.”

“I’m being sensible about the budget I have got and am going to spend it as wisely as I can – I keep manager Alan Pardew well informed and have regular meetings.”

“We sit down on a regular basis and talk about the type of players we want, the best type of players for the Newcastle fans – we are fighting hard,”

“There are two or three of us clubs all seemingly to be wrapped around the same players, and, as I have said to Mike, it is a serious battle that we need to win, and we are very close to achieving that.”

“There are always extra add-ons, always an extra thing and always an extra problem, and then there is always the problem of competition from other teams.”

“Whatever I have offered more or less goes public, and of course that alerts other people that are interested, they tweak it and add a little bit more, and we are in that sort of war at the moment.”

“I’m waiting for a nod, on which the goalposts have moved on numerous occasions, to bring in a couple of strikers.”

The interview from Joe last week was OK, but he was criticized for it, but he didn’t say we’d have the players to fight for a top four place in the coming season, but longer term, so that seemed a sensible and good comment.

This is also a decent interview from Joe, and we must admit that when we hear that Joe’s given an interview we hold our breath just a little bit.

But the proof of the pudding is in the eating,  and Joe can still get the job done this summer – but he needs to get Bafe Gomis and Loic Remy through the door to to achieve that.

Maybe he has some sway with owner Mike Ashley to get him to pay out the money required?

We hope so.

Comments are welcome, but please be civil and respectful to other readers, and we are tightening up on the comments – as those who are spoiling the site will now have realized – and if there are problems let me know about them at admin@nufcblog.com – thanks.

Note: Reader Mark Harding has kindly set up a Fantasy Football League for the coming season for readers of this blog.
The code is 3178-173427, and you can sign up for it HERE.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

Tags: Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

32 responses so far ↓

• 1 colwell // Aug 4, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Anyone else notice Kinnear say we have Cisse and a couple of youngsters who may or may not be good enough as strikers, NO mention of Shola unless he thinks he is 17??

• 2 PMartel // Aug 4, 2013 at 5:10 PM

SecretSausage // Aug 4, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Another troll type.

I spoke to Pardew and he told me 2 players were arriving today with a view to signing. He laughed when I mentioned Gomis. I reckon that meant 100% he was one of them. The other Im guessing will be Remy because it’s all over the news.

I also posted 2 weeks ago that a players wife (French) told me Remy was a cert and was in touch daily with the French players and he is part of the gang. They seem to know he was going to come here.

I also posted a while back that a player had arrived in Newcastle and was signing that day. Unfortunately a few hours later Kemen signed so people took offence to that and said I had made the statement that Bent was coming. I never said that because none of the people I speak to ever said that.

I also said Amalfitano was on his way. That hasnt turned out true as yet but he did have a meeting at a hotel with his team of representatives.

If people like this clown above dont like reading the info then dont read any posts I make. Its a fun blog and is supposed to be entertaining. I dont work for the toon but I do speak to people and if I post snippets of what they tell me then so be it. But there’s no need to have a go. Whats the point?

For your info I spoke with a players wife this morning and she told me that they have a cook in for the day and he is making a traditional sunday lunch for them and another player and his wife. Now that is shit hot info but if you want to say it is crap then suit yourself. Maybe it will be on SSN later that they had apple crumble for desert.
    ___________________________________________

Calm down, dear. I’m not having a go; just merely playing the game. I sincerely hope you’re right. I just have serious doubts, which is understandable when you consider some of crap that gets peddled on this blog from people claiming to have ‘contacts’ within the club.

I do remember your post on Oliver Kemem and I also remember this news being on various blogs and sites, along with photographs days before it was officially announced. Coincidental?

I agree, this is a fun and blog and is entertaining beyond belief but I think it’s unfair to get fans hopes up with fictitious garbage, but, like I said, I hope you’re right. Although the clocking is now ticking and the jury is still out.

On the subject of Kinnear’s comments; make of it what you will. It could be a PR stunt to allay fans fears or it could be genuine. I honestly think he’s named dropped Bent as way of trying to speed up the Gomis deal, although I do think we’ll pursue Bent if Gomis ends up at Marseille. If we can pull of Remy, it would be fantastic business; this was the one deal I personally thought wouldn’t happen.

It’s frustrating for everyone as we’re all desperate for new players but ultimately, Kinnear and Co should be judged on 1st September.

• 3 scout // Aug 4, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Cant believe people think it’s a smokescreen it’s loric Remy and Gomis not Rooney and Ronaldo FFs

• 4 santosh82 // Aug 4, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Its good that someone at our club is talking about something.

• 5 Ben3arfa // Aug 4, 2013 at 5:15 PM

Kinnear is full of it

Highly doubt he will end up signing anyone that muppet

• 6 Spuggy // Aug 4, 2013 at 5:16 PM

A reasonable interview by kinnear (did I just say that)

Feel a bit sorry for Gouffran who had no mention. Decent player too.

Fingers crossed for gomis and remy.

Wonder a) whose the other strikers are should these fall through and b) what the other area of the pitch is (I think it’s a keeper)

• 7 SeanNufc87 // Aug 4, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Ey lads, it’s ruddy warm like.

• 8 Shadow_Shearer // Aug 4, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Jfk claiming he is head and shoulders above all other DOFs in the premiership. I think he didn’t realise how difficult it was gonna be to sign players up. Now that he’s realising its not as easy a job as he thought, he’s not braggin anymore.

• 9 SeanNufc87 // Aug 4, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Ben3arfa

Got anything positive to say?

• 10 firebug666 // Aug 4, 2013 at 5:17 PM

I don’t see any of the other clubs having these sort of problems. Joe Kinnear seems to be the problem here, Derek Llambias would have had the players signed on the line now. If Kinnear wants to do the best he can for Newcastle, then he should resign with immediate effect.

• 11 Shadow_Shearer // Aug 4, 2013 at 5:18 PM

Jfk claiming he is head and shoulders above all other DOFs in the premiership. I think he didn’t realise how difficult it was gonna be to sign players up. Now that he’s realising its not as easy as he thought, he’s not braggin anymore.

• 12 Spuggy // Aug 4, 2013 at 5:18 PM

Extended interview.

• 13 isleofmanman // Aug 4, 2013 at 5:21 PM

Management. Management. Management

Its not rocket science

NUFC no longer has respected-in-the-football-world leadership to give us an edge in the transfer market.

The stats re-posted yesterday show that Keegan not only tops our manager performance league – but was respected internationally and players wanted to be here

Ours is a MANAGEMENT problem which begins and ends with the owner and who he appoints

• 14 Spuggy // Aug 4, 2013 at 5:22 PM

So the story so far:

1) Remy is closest to signing on load.
    2) either gomis or bent is also wanted (not both)
    3) we have another area of the pitch to target players for
    4) I’d we don’t get one or two of our main 3 striker targets we have another hitlist
    5) joe is working within a defined budget

• 15 toonarmydownsouth // Aug 4, 2013 at 5:22 PM

The full interview video here lads

All sounds promising on remy, maybe a little less so on gomis and basically just a fee to agree for bent

• 16 paul24 // Aug 4, 2013 at 5:24 PM

I hope he gets his finger out and signs somebody. We only have 2 strikers in Cisse and Gouffran, Campbel is just a kid and should really be out on loan getting plenty of game time and Shola really just needs to be sent to Guantanamo bay for crimes against football.

• 17 daztoon // Aug 4, 2013 at 5:24 PM

I`d like to see us bring in Will Hughes and Ince even if it means losing a purple Tiote or Cabaye.Both look great prospects

• 18 Spuggy // Aug 4, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Tads

It’s it full one. See my link above for full 8 minutes ( yours is four) although they tell me size isn’t everything.

• 19 Spuggy // Aug 4, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Oh and I hate iphone keypads.

• 20 Ben3arfa // Aug 4, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Kinnear gave us his word of honour

Does that even mean anything?

Hahahahaha

• 21 JFK junior // Aug 4, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Daz – will Hughes looks superb talent.

• 22 Markaccus // Aug 4, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Heard some troubling rumours on friday night. Now, this is just what i was told by a mate who happened to be doing some joinery work in the new meeting place for the local branch of the FA. and was chatting to a bloke who was involved with nufc. DO NOT HAVE A GO AT ME, I AM JUST PASSING IT ON. It could easily be rubbish. The info is a s follows

Cisse and krul will be leaving us in January. Cisse to Lyon, no idea of a fee.

Krul to Arsenal. They are waiting to see how his injury holds up, as we know they are desperate for a keeper. They are willing to pay 35M for him.

I know the ‘sorce’ sounds a bit “third cousins’ aunties’ brothers’ former room mate” but like i say i am just passing it on. DO NOT SHOOT THE MESSENGER.

• 23 clinath@ed // Aug 4, 2013 at 5:30 PM

35m for a goalkeeper…..that’s a bit steep even or today’s market.

• 24 Pip // Aug 4, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Take this as you will but it is totally true. Last night I was drinking outside the Diamond in Ponteland at about 7:30 when Demba Ba and a shortish guy who was driving pulled up at the Traffic lights. When they turned green they headed off towards Darras Hall. I have no idea if he still has a house in the area or maybe he was just visiting some of his ex team mates but he has been in the North East this weekend.

He was in a BMW with a French registration plate personalised “Ba”

• 25 JFK junior // Aug 4, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Tuff – re last thread (Torq / SS etc)

That’s fair enough mate. Just thought I’d missed something re our ITK’s.

Although to be fair, people calling for them to post etc isn’t really their fault.

• 26 darrenfletcher88 // Aug 4, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Good interview from joe!! Good to hear we are pushing hard,hope to have a least one done by wed it will be a big lift for the squad!

• 27 Markaccus // Aug 4, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Clinath

Yes it is. Arsenal are desperate though.
    Like i say. It could all ne bollox, or at least the fee has become distorted in a chinese whispers type way.

• 28 Yorkgeordie // Aug 4, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Kinnear’s interview is not very encouraging. He is stating the obvious, or what is obvious to most people who are used to dealing with transfers. He seems to be surprised that players and agents are trying to get the best possible deals. Llambias must be laughing his socks off reading this. Why have I got no confidence in any of these deals coming to fruition

• 29 daztoon // Aug 4, 2013 at 5:33 PM

@JFK junior

For sure the lad has the potential and would make us more mobile in midfield or as a no 10.

• 30 Rotonda heights // Aug 4, 2013 at 5:35 PM

I think the only way we could get a multi billionaire owner is if someone fronted for them pretending to be a much humbler and modest organisation because as soon as Ash smells a seriously rich owner, ie like the Mansoors the asking price triples.

• 31 ArtyH // Aug 4, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Just listened to Jokes interview, got to say for one he was taking a bit of sense. If its made public how much we bid for a player it makes it easier for the competition to out bid us, just like ebay, LOL’s. Hoping for Gomes & Remy by next weekend. Would love it if Ince signed too.

• 32 CullysFinest // Aug 4, 2013 at 6:02 PM

I wonder if Gabriel Obertan will be considered as a lone striker should these deals come off

previous post: Bad News On Gomis – It Could Take Eight Days To Close Deal

next post: Kinnear Says Remy Deal Close – We Still Want Bent – Gomis Signing Difficult