The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Central Midfielder Still Likely To Leave Newcastle This Summer

8:44 am, Monday, August 5th, 2013 by Ed Harrison · 18 Comments

Dan Gosling had probably his best game for Newcastle last Tuesday night at St. Mirren, where with any luck he could have scored a couple of goals, but he looked an excellent player in the middle of the park for the Magpies in that game..

papiss cisse dan gosling st mirren

Dan Gosling congratulates Cisse on his great goal at St. Mirren

But Dan’s tenure at Newcastle may be almost up, and a couple of weeks ago a proposed move to Crystal Palace broke down at the last moment, and since then he’s come back and kept his head down, like you would expect from an excellent professional that he is.

The England U21 International has talked today in the local papers:

“It was nearly there.” “But it didn’t materialize, so I came back here and got my head down, worked hard and have played two games.” “I’ll just play as many games as I can and we’ll see what happens.”

“It was difficult, but it affects people differently.” “I just get on with my job. I’m employed by Newcastle United, and it was no bother for me to come back.” “I’ll just get my head down and get on with my work.”

“I was always happy to be here, and I’m happy to stay, but I need to play football,” “That’s what I’m paid to do, and I haven’t been doing that.” “Whether it is time to move on, or whatever, who knows?

“I just want to play football, whether it’s here or somewhere else.” “The manager has been great with me since the start of the season when we came back.” “Everybody has been great.”

“We have a big squad, and the manager has tried to give everybody minutes.” “It can’t be easy with the size of the squad, but he’s doing a good job. Hopefully, we can all keep going.”

“It was a late call to play against Gateshead, but I was always going to play if I got asked.” “Everybody needs minutes. I missed the trip to Portugal, where the lads had two games, so there’s one game caught up.”

“Maybe there’ll be one or two more to add on still. I’ll keep working hard and get back to fitness.”

Gosling, having seen injuries restrict his appearances for United over the past three years, is at an age where he needs to be playing regularly.

We still expect Dan to move to another club before the end of the transfer window, where he can play more games than he would get on Tyneside, in what is the final year of his four-year contract.

And from what Joe Kinnear said yesterday, in his very decent interview with Sky Sports, Newcastle will be looking to strengthen another position after we get two strikers in, and a young central midfielder may be brought in – and we’ve already been linked with James McCarthy of Wigan.

If that happened then it’s almost certain that Dan would be moved out to another club, where he could get first team football, and he’s played only 26 first team games in his three years on Tyneside.

Newcastle play at Rangers tomorrow night, and we’ll need to see if Gosling gets a game, but it could be difficult to get on, with Alan Pardew likely to play his first team starters in what is the second last pre-season game before we meet Manchester City on August 19th.

We need to see another good performance from the side, and hopefully a win from our lads at Ibrox Stadium tomorrow night.

Dan’s a good player and a good lad, but as he says, he really needs to be playing a lot more games.

What do you think?

Comments welcome, but please keep them civil.

Note: Reader Mark Harding has kindly set up a Fantasy Football League for the coming season for readers of this blog.
The code is 3178-173427, and you can sign up for it HERE.

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

Tags: Dan Gosling · Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

18 responses so far ↓

• 1 JAMSHA // Aug 5, 2013 at 8:47 AM

keep him…

• 2 DarloGeordie // Aug 5, 2013 at 8:49 AM

The question still remains, why the hell is obertan still on our books??

• 3 nut meg // Aug 5, 2013 at 8:52 AM

I would like to see him get a good run of games somewhere to really prove his fitness.I doubt his future is with us but I wish him well all the same.

• 4 Klatoon // Aug 5, 2013 at 8:54 AM

Darlo

Probably the same reason AP’s still in charge

• 5 Felipe // Aug 5, 2013 at 8:55 AM

Surprise of this season will be Anita. I think he’ll be a regular starter by the end of the season.

• 6 blew // Aug 5, 2013 at 8:56 AM

It has taken 3 years to show a glimmer of talent
    but against 3rd rate opposition. How many chances
    does he get? look no further than Shola, 12 years
    of occasional promise.

• 7 Noah Another Ameobi // Aug 5, 2013 at 8:58 AM

loan him out to someone like motherwell for the season to give him a chance to play and he would be playing in a team challenging for thevspl title

• 8 Indian Magpie // Aug 5, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Did Alan Say that we will have some one in before Rangers game.

Wow!

Pardew has told us more lies than he has got us points.

• 9 Indian Magpie // Aug 5, 2013 at 9:08 AM

NAM

He is in his last year, loaning will not generate us any FEE, only get his wages of the books, don’t know what %

• 10 jazzyp // Aug 5, 2013 at 9:08 AM

Good morning all
    Noah I agree with the loan deal for Gosling.We will not get much by the way of a transfer fee for the lad, so send him out on loan and give him a full season to prove himself to nufc.
    Well lads I hope this is the week we finally break in to the transfer market. Remy for me is the big one I would like to see in the black and white shirt,Gomis unsure and no to bent.Defoe imo would be a better option to go for, For around the same fee.

• 11 Hatem's better than Messi // Aug 5, 2013 at 9:08 AM

Kinnear seems to have mellowed, not one swear word in his interview although he does seem to be a yard or two off the pace.

I can´t see him helping bring players to the club.
    Joe who?
    Oh yeah that f###ing idiot …

• 12 toonarmydownsouth // Aug 5, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Anyone see that palace have confirmed interest in bent?
    Could strangely be more appealing to him

Back in London and number 1 striker

• 13 toon kk // Aug 5, 2013 at 9:17 AM

He’ll be needed this season what’s the point of letting him go?
    Penny pinching I guess, keeping MA wage bill down.

• 14 lesh // Aug 5, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Lol et al.

Body language can be an indicator of thoughts whether underlying spoken or received language as you well know, as you are aware that eye contact can sometimes speak volumes. Body language in though only an indicator for consideration with along with other things. It is not an exact science.

If Joe was unable to look directly at the interviewer or camera when speaking, then that indicates a lack of sincerity or belief in what’s being said. Adding the words honestly or truthfully may reinforce that suspicion.

Joe’s obviously had some guidance on media presentation however, we need to bear in mind that we can’t all be perfect orators. If that is the case then the club’s addressing concerns about his presentation and that’s good.
    There’s no doubt he feels under some pressure to get the players in as I’m not sure Ashley wants to be seen as presiding over another failure in pre-season management. Ordinarily, I’d say I’m fine with that but and it’s a big but, some seven or eight weeks have passed by without signings and I fear that his back’s against the wall due to the now limited time available to get them in.

As Sean rightly points out, there have been some positive signs of changes and if they’re down to Kinnear’s intervention, all credit to him. However, it would appear that player purchase may have been parked while other things were being managed. Perhaps his time-management has been lacking of late? If that were the case, then then Kinnear is not director material. Can is weaknesses be successfully addressed at this stage of his career? Food for thought.

Joe was making the right noises during his interview and slamming him is a tad unfair. We cry for comunication and information and there’s no doubt he covered some key issues. Look at and acknowledge the positives by all means but, don’t not lose sight of the negatives to be worked on.

Personally, I’m not keen on Kinnear but he’s here and there’s nowt we can do about it.

Fingers crossed and hold on tight as the rollercoaster that is Newcastle United gets faster as the window’s clock ticks on.

• 15 Yorkgeordie // Aug 5, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Indian
    he also said ‘before we come back from Portugal’ and ‘before we get to the weekend’ and ‘before we go to St. Mirren’ now it’s ‘before we play rangers’.

• 16 Felipe // Aug 5, 2013 at 9:31 AM

No Magpie, he didn’t say that.

He said “I’m hoping something happens before Rangers. I think that’s a realistic deadline for my team in the background to hopefully get something done,”

Match that up with Kinnear saying he hopes to have a yay or nay on Remy on Monday or Tuesday.

That doesn’t constitute a lie/ You’ll have to work a little harder to be negative. :-)

• 17 Felipe // Aug 5, 2013 at 9:34 AM

No Yorkie, he didn’t say any of that…

• 18 jasper // Aug 5, 2013 at 10:44 AM

We have lacked a central midfielder who gets into the box since Nolan left. Before him Bowyer was another one who could do it. In the few appearances he has had Gosling does this consistently.
    As it is we play with a huge hole behind the striker(s), with no one in it to pull the defensive midfielders or CBs around. with no route available on the floor we resort to hoofball.
    I methinks he’s been unlucky with injuries and should be given a chance.

previous post: Newcastle Have Second Hit List Of Strikers Lined Up

next post: Joe Kinnear Learning His Job At Newcastle?