The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Is Stewart Downing Worth £5M To Newcastle?

11:14 pm, Monday, August 5th, 2013 by Ed Harrison · 82 Comments

There’s news tonight that Newcastle have been offered former Middlesbrough winger Stewart Downing for just £5M, and that’s after Downing signed on at Liverpool a short two years ago for £20M from Aston Villa.

stewart-downing.jpg

Stewart Downing on offer at £5M

And that was yet another poor signing that Liverpool made, just six months after they paid out a massive £35M to take striker Andy Carroll from Newcastle, whom they finally sold to West Ham this summer for £17M.

And ever since Brendan Rodgers arrived at Liverpool two years ago, certain players seem to have had little future at the club and Carroll was one of them, and Downing has also been struggling under the former Reading and Swansea manager.

The 29 year-old is a little old for players Mike Ashley likes to bring to the club, but £5M seems a decent price for a player who has undoubted skills, and was hardly given much of a chance by Rodgers, who told him a few times over the last couple of years that he could leave the club.

West Ham were after Stewart last month and the player had this to say at that time:

“It’s not something I am going to consider.” “I think there have been a couple of rumors going around and maybe that’s because I was told last season I could leave.”

“If I’m not in the team and not playing that is a discussion we will have to have then but at the minute I have absolutely no reason to leave.” “But I have spoken to the manager and he’s told me that he’s happy for me to stay.”

Stewart was born in Middlesbrough,  so he may want to return to the north-east and Newcastle,  but it depends on whether owner Mike Ashley wants to spend £5M on a 29 year-old.

Newcastle could pay another £3M for a young up-and-coming player like Blackpool’s  Tom Ince – who would be a much better financial deal for the club, since his value would very likely increase over time.

And it’s very likely that Downing is on high wages at Liverpool, and Tom Ince’s wages wouldn’t be anywhere near those of  Downing, and as we keep hearing – Newcastle want hungry players on Tyneside, who have to prove themselves.

So because of the distinct possibility of being able to get Tom Ince on Tyneside this month, we wonder whether paying out £5M for Downing would be a good deal?

For the record Downing played 91 times for Liverpool with seven goals, and he has 34 full England caps.

What do you think?

Is Stewart Downing Worth £5M To Newcastle?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook and +1 us on Google+:

You can also reach Ed at admin@nufcblog.com

Tags: Newcastle News · Transfer News and Rumours · Transfer Target

82 responses so far ↓

• 1 kevymartins // Aug 5, 2013 at 11:15 PM

Repost

For me Jonas has more to offer than Downing, I know a lot of liverpool fans and they will all tell you he is useless he is far far to slow and can bearly get to the line to put a ball in he also played LB once when jose was out and they claim it was one of the worst performances the have seen anyone play in a liverpool shirt. I would take our chances else where 5 million could bring in a decent winger and not a liverpool reject running up there wage bill.

Hoilett example

• 2 Harley // Aug 5, 2013 at 11:18 PM

REPOST

ToonDarnSarf

I like reading your posts, you always talk sense.

I think anyone else we sign from now is for the bench. I can’t see us getting any better than we currently have as our first 11.

The bench looks great (especially if we get ince and gomis) but I don’t think we’ll be getting a right back.

Santon and mbiwa I feel are the cover there, with dummett and Haidara cover for left back. I’d love to see dummett really come through this season.

It’s amazing the lift a really top new signing can give. I think remy is a fantastic signing.

• 3 Pizzicato The Arizona Geordie // Aug 5, 2013 at 11:21 PM

@Harley, Someone said that Dummett could even cover RB. I guess we are not short for that position.

• 4 aidytoon9 // Aug 5, 2013 at 11:21 PM

Wouldn’t touch him

• 5 Brutooon // Aug 5, 2013 at 11:22 PM

Downing can cross – so YES

Jonas can’t cross – get rid of him

• 6 jesperfuglsang - captain of the lemon crew // Aug 5, 2013 at 11:22 PM

Stewart Downing? Oh dear lord!!! And I thought the link to Bent was enough :(

• 7 aidytoon9 // Aug 5, 2013 at 11:23 PM

Ince or Sinclair would be miles better value IMO

• 8 Sir Braveheart // Aug 5, 2013 at 11:23 PM

Would rather we didnt. At that age his pace is deteriorating so his use as a winger is limited. Decent crosser though.

• 9 89Norcal // Aug 5, 2013 at 11:23 PM

Got to disagree with you kevy. At least Downing does SOME job as a midfielder and actually creates goals. Jonas didn’t create a single one that I know of last season. His workrate may be high but if you offer absolutely nothing going forward what is the point.

would PROBABLY consider Jonas at LB if only for 1 season – for fear he would block Haidara’s progress.

But I think we should shoot for Ince or Menez regardless if the price is right

• 10 shango87 // Aug 5, 2013 at 11:24 PM

dont touch him…couldn’t cross the road never mind the ball, jonas aint much better but would have him over downing everyday. mcgeady from spartak example for me…

• 11 geordie157 // Aug 5, 2013 at 11:24 PM

Downing can cross, but that’s about it. Sinclair for the same price and less wages is a much better option or spend a bit more and get Wijnaldum.

• 12 jimmysmith // Aug 5, 2013 at 11:25 PM

I suppose you’d prefer Ince, but really he’s a player that is all potential and little achievement and experience whereas Downing is really in his prime with a point to prove. Wages you’d imagine to be an issue though with Downing, but I would have said the same about Remy.

• 13 Harley // Aug 5, 2013 at 11:25 PM

Pizzicato I’d love one of the academy guys to really make it.
    I say this at the start of every season but I’m actually optimistic. I feel the club really are trying their best to get some quality players in and hopefully well have them for man city.

• 14 jimmysmith // Aug 5, 2013 at 11:28 PM

I can understand the criticism of Bent, but Downing is a thorough pro who fought his way back into the first team picture at Liverpool, who are frankly a wonderful and elite football club, so I think he is at least to be respected.

• 15 aidytoon9 // Aug 5, 2013 at 11:29 PM

Hope remy plays tomorrow night with cisse, would like us to put in a decent performance.

• 16 JP...from The Rock // Aug 5, 2013 at 11:31 PM

First of all I am ecstatic that we’ve signed Remy FINALLY!! :D His pace, trickery and finishing will be a huge boost to the team and our overall play, Happy Days! :)

Now on Downing, he was never worth 20M but at 5M he is a good buy. No more than 5 though. He has a good delivery in him on his good days and is a threat to the opposition when up for it. If given a run in the team he could do very well.

HWTL!

• 17 Robby Bobson // Aug 5, 2013 at 11:31 PM

Remy interview on nufctv…some deep insightful thoughts and philosophical debates, such as:

Interviewer “can you imagine the stadium with 52k people in it”

Remy “no, because it was empty”

• 18 ArtyH // Aug 5, 2013 at 11:31 PM

As I have said before Ince is the winger to go for.

• 19 ArtyH // Aug 5, 2013 at 11:32 PM

Just thought, how about a loan deal, or a swap for Shola?

• 20 popscott // Aug 5, 2013 at 11:33 PM

Got a theory, make everyone think we want Bent and get Remy/ Gomis, now tell everyone we are after Downing get Ince/Sinc? Just a thought?

• 21 JP...from The Rock // Aug 5, 2013 at 11:33 PM

Let’s put it this way, I’d rather have Downing than Obertan and Gutierrez. Gutierrez works very hard but he’s no winger, more like LB/ CDM.

• 22 Robby Bobson // Aug 5, 2013 at 11:39 PM

Jonas is fine as a wide midfielder in a 442, with the marauding full backs we have as well hes good to have.

But as a out and out winger, in a 433, he just doesnt have it in him anymore. We only hadGouffran and HBA who can play that role thats why getting Remy ahead of Gomis/Bent was so good

(i love marveuax, but hes not a winger either, hes so good on the ball he should play in the middle)

• 23 pawl250 // Aug 5, 2013 at 11:40 PM

I personally think we will see 2 more signings before the window is over. Gomis being one of them!

I think we will see Obertan, Gosling and Shola leave.

It leaves us a little short on the homegrown players unless we keep the likes of Bigi, Dummett, Sammy and Vuckic for back up instead of loaning them out for experience.

• 24 BandB // Aug 5, 2013 at 11:42 PM

Yo-Yo,

Registra?…that’s not another Scottish word is it?
    Sorry I missed you, but I’ve bunked off school now for a few tics.
    I’ve enjoyed today. The blog was in much better spirits.
    I think that, given the chance to adapt, Anita could be a legend.
    I still don’t really know what a registrar does, and was imagining Cabaye or Tiote there, depending on whether the role was destroyer or playmaker.
    Clinath was wondering earlier what made Pirlo so special. I think its his damn-your-eyes sense of being able to cope and dictate. Does he work in an old-fashioned triangle? Or isn’t it a triangle?

• 25 pawl250 // Aug 5, 2013 at 11:43 PM

Our best team is by far

——————— Krul
    Debuchy – Mbiwa – Coloccini – Santon
    ——- Cabaye – Tiote – Sissoko
    Ben Arfa ——– Cisse ———- Remy

Its creative, quick, hardworking. This is a top 10 team easy, just have to ensure you use it properly and not expect Arfa and Remy to defend all the time!

• 26 BandB // Aug 5, 2013 at 11:44 PM

Yo-yo

I meant diamond. I must be the only female in the world who’d mistake a diamond and a triangle. ;{

• 27 jeff the 2nd // Aug 5, 2013 at 11:45 PM

Hello, guys!

• 28 kevymartins // Aug 5, 2013 at 11:46 PM

@BandB Like Arsenal, Juve pass in triangles, It’s a beautiful thing to watch.

• 29 Robby Bobson // Aug 5, 2013 at 11:47 PM

pawl250…Pardew likes his wingers doubling up and making a 451 when we dont have the ball.

What we really need is our defensive mifielders (tiote and sissoko) to be very disiplined and sit more and let the more attacking players and fulback to do their business….this is how France play, this is how man city played under Mancini.

• 30 luke.r // Aug 5, 2013 at 11:47 PM

Downing is god awful.

We should be ambitious and go for a good young winger who can challenge the first 11.

• 31 jimmysmith // Aug 5, 2013 at 11:49 PM

That’s a top 6 side on paper, on grass, well that remains to be seen, but getting excited again to put it mildly, Wahey, c’mon lads!

• 32 Robby Bobson // Aug 5, 2013 at 11:50 PM

On Downing….meh. Rather have him than not have another option.

Dont really rate Sinclair, I think he often lacks a gutting edge and Ince is unproven and needs to become more clinical.

Gouffran is better than the lot! Ince has potential to be better mind.

• 33 joeinthecheapseats // Aug 5, 2013 at 11:51 PM

Downing should be a no as he had to leave Mboro in a hurry after upsetting some unsavoury characters
    Nufc would be to close to his home town

• 34 Mister Tuff // Aug 5, 2013 at 11:51 PM

Downing – no thanks -he always promised a lot -but never achieved any great consistent form -anywhere and certainly did not live up to his 20 million billing.
    Spirits have certainly risen today -good signing in Remy and foul ranting abusers and multiple posters unearthed and given the boot.
    Spirits should increase when Gomis eventually signs.

• 35 dembademba // Aug 5, 2013 at 11:51 PM

Yes, for 5 mil. Still got plenty to offer. Prob rather have him than Gutierrez and gouffran in most games tbh

• 36 BandB // Aug 5, 2013 at 11:52 PM

Kevy,

I know. I’d put up with a few scuzzy results just to watch a bit of beautiful football from us.
    Mind you, I’d settle for a few well-worked few tap-ins and the odd easy-peasy header too.

Off to ma pit…Happy day….

• 37 SharpEnough23 // Aug 5, 2013 at 11:53 PM

Marveaux should be first choice LM,
    sell Jonas and get in a good younger left footed winger

if downing ain’t good enough for Liverpool why would he be for us?!?

• 38 Beattie25 // Aug 5, 2013 at 11:53 PM

I truly thought this deal wouldn’t happen.

Now that it has my elation is met with a dose of sadness.

We now have the potential for a starting 11 that would rival any team in the PL.

Sadly our manager is not in the same league as the quality on the pitch.

• 39 Sazzer // Aug 5, 2013 at 11:54 PM

Stats have Downing beating Jonas in nearly every category.

And Downing have been so bad that Liverpool are prepare to sell him for 5 m £ when they paid 20 m £.

• 40 kevymartins // Aug 5, 2013 at 11:56 PM

Also I think people overestimate the power of crossing. We need a very fast/strong winger, physical fitness comes first crossing/shooting/ are just add on attributes. Look at bale his speed and power comes before his crossing.

• 41 toonarmydownsouth // Aug 5, 2013 at 11:56 PM

Downing for £5 mil?
    Or Sinclair/Ince for £8 mil
    Sinclair/Ince all day long

• 42 Big Pappa Cissé // Aug 5, 2013 at 11:57 PM

We could get Sinclair for that price. No brainer IMO.

• 43 ONLINE GUY // Aug 5, 2013 at 11:58 PM

Add Menez and Alderweireld and we will be among the top 4 /5 ..seen a few team line up’s on here not including Tiote..He needs to be in there as the midfield becomes tooo light..

.And looking at goals all over the park now ..Alderwireld scores a lot from distance and free Kicks ..Menez is from another planet ..! £15 to 20 million for Menez…?

Wishful thinking .

• 44 pawl250 // Aug 5, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Personally would prefer Wjnaldum!

He would be my priority signing now, possibly aim to get Alderwield and Gomis in.

Perfect window, although I would have preferred De Jong over Gomis.

Still we would have a team worthy of top 7, and depth to follow it!

Never going to happen unfortunately!

Just imagine though Remy, Wjnaldum, Siem De Jong and Alderwield. Perfect window!!

Obertan, Gosling and Shola out.

If carlsberg did transfers …….

• 45 Robby Bobson // Aug 5, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Alderweireld is exactly the sort of centre half we dont need

• 46 kevymartins // Aug 6, 2013 at 12:00 AM

@Tads I was about to say put a 8mil bid in for Aaron Lennon but spuds won’t need to sell a player in another 10years lol

I would take anyone but sinclaire I think the guy is tosh over rated player. Would take Nathan Dyer quicker anyday.

• 47 Black and White with an army lol // Aug 6, 2013 at 12:00 AM

great news about Remy can’t wait to see the lad play, but first thing first concerning the other thread about Remy.

1. Remy has a contract clause over 6 million meaning we can still buy him out regardless if he’s loaned or not, Newcastle have the only option to buy out the clause and other teams don’t simply because he’s loaned to us and we have first option.

2. just because we paid 2 million up front doesn’t mean we only have to pay 4 million to buy out his clause which i have read from previous from other ppl, if we buy him out it will cost us over 8 million and that’s including the 2 million we already paid.

• 48 SharpEnough23 // Aug 6, 2013 at 12:04 AM

I think we should keep gosling, tiote concedes too many free kicks and picks up waaaaay too many cards.

• 49 Black and White with an army lol // Aug 6, 2013 at 12:05 AM

Downing for 5 million? hell yes!

• 50 Black and White with an army lol // Aug 6, 2013 at 12:07 AM

SharpEnough23

why keep Gosling? we have got Anita, Cabaye, Tiote, Sissoko, Vuckic & Bigi

• 51 Sazzer // Aug 6, 2013 at 12:08 AM

Or you could get Boudebouz for like 2-3 m £ with only one year left of his contract.

• 52 dembademba // Aug 6, 2013 at 12:09 AM

With this squad I’d love it, I’d love it, haha, if we just went and played really attacking football like back in the day. Even if we lost loads we’d still comfortably get top ten because we could score so many. If pardew plays defensive with this squad and doesnt get results he has to go

• 53 Black and White with an army lol // Aug 6, 2013 at 12:10 AM

dembademba

couldn’t agree more mate

• 54 dembademba // Aug 6, 2013 at 12:11 AM

I hope vuckic stays fit the whole season, he could become a hell of a player

• 55 JP...from The Rock // Aug 6, 2013 at 12:12 AM

Boudebouz, Mertens, Martin, Menez, Ince, Sinclaire – Anyone of those and I’d be over the moon!! :D

• 56 jimmysmith // Aug 6, 2013 at 12:14 AM

Downing is surely only available at 5 because his silly wages would come with him. More West Hams’ cup of Tetleys than ours I’d think, and also wouldn’t probably be so keen to come cos he wouldn’t be guaranteed a place in the first 11 at Newcastle. Even so, I like Stuart Downing.

• 57 Black and White with an army lol // Aug 6, 2013 at 12:15 AM

JP…from The Rock

it will be amazing if we sign those players but if MA won’t pay 4 million for Sinclair i doubt he will get the others, our only hope is to win the Euro millions ;)

• 58 ONLINE GUY // Aug 6, 2013 at 12:16 AM

Goals table ..All minimum ?

Remy =10 minimum ?
    Hiadara=2
    Sammy =2
    Campbell if not loaned =4
    Vuckic=2

Just Day Dreaming a while

• 59 Black and White with an army lol // Aug 6, 2013 at 12:17 AM

i’m sure Downing would love to come back to the North East and would happily take a pay cut :)

• 60 ONLINE GUY // Aug 6, 2013 at 12:18 AM

Pawl

Good to dream though time to time…

• 61 Black and White with an army lol // Aug 6, 2013 at 12:18 AM

ONLINE GUY

hope that’s just in half a season ;)

• 62 daztoon // Aug 6, 2013 at 12:20 AM

Pardew has so many options now for many formations.If he can’t get this lot playing attacking football,then he deserves to shot a dawn.

• 63 Black and White with an army lol // Aug 6, 2013 at 12:21 AM

if Vuckic stays fit & injury free i’m sure he will get at least 7-10 goals and assist about 5-9

• 64 pawl250 // Aug 6, 2013 at 12:21 AM

My perfect team would be

——————— Krul
    Debuchy – Mbiwa – Alderwield – Santon
    ———— Cabaye – Sissoko
    Ben Arfa —— Wjnaldum ——— Remy
    ———————- Cisse

Personally think that team would be unstoppable offensively, perhaps a little light defensively, arguably could use more solid full back as we have the width and creativity.

I just think Wjnaldum is the piece of the puzzle in a forward/midfield line especially for creativity.

We are what 14-16m away from that team next season?

Alderwield (6-7m)
    Wjnaldum (8-9m)

• 65 Black and White with an army lol // Aug 6, 2013 at 12:23 AM

imo we need a LB & Striker

• 66 pawl250 // Aug 6, 2013 at 12:23 AM

Jimmy

And Remy doesn’t command any high wages?

I think we have the moeny to spend. I do feel it could be better utilised than 8-10m on Gomis but better him than Shola for a target man!

• 67 ONLINE GUY // Aug 6, 2013 at 12:25 AM

Robby Bobson

Alderweireld is Closest thing/player Iv seen that as good as Colin Todd and he was A superb player.

• 68 Sazzer // Aug 6, 2013 at 12:25 AM

JP…from The Rock
    Mertens have joined Napoli. I agree and I wouldn’t be sad if we signed one of them.

In terms of price I think it’s like this:
    1. Boudebouz
    2. Sinclair (on high wages)
    3. Wijnaldum
    4. Ince
    5. Menez (high wages)

• 69 Black and White with an army lol // Aug 6, 2013 at 12:26 AM

TOON current dream team

Krull
    Debuchy, Colo, MYM, Santon
    Cabaye, Tiote
    HBA, Sissoko, Remy
    Cisse

Bench = Elliot, Haidara, Anita, Marv, Goofy, Jonas, Bigi.

• 70 ONLINE GUY // Aug 6, 2013 at 12:26 AM

Pawl

Just off to check out Wjnaldum ,been a while ..sounds good.

• 71 dembademba // Aug 6, 2013 at 12:29 AM

Pawl
    Why so much love for wijnaldum? Haven’t seen lots of him but isn’t he like 5ft4 or something? Anitas struggled to adapt to the prem, partly cos of his height imo

• 72 Robby Bobson // Aug 6, 2013 at 12:30 AM

Online Guy…im not doubting his ability.

Colocinni and M’bwia are both great defenders but whenever a team decided to go long to the big guy, we struggled.

Look at West Brom away last season, bossed them first half then they switched to long ball to Lukaku and our defence couldnt handle it.

IMO if we are buying a centre half, we needs to be a beast…this is what we lack, Colo and M’biwa are of the same style as Alderweirld imo.

• 73 ONLINE GUY // Aug 6, 2013 at 12:31 AM

B&W

I didn’t add it up but maybe close to 80 plus goals ..where would that get us providing the defence holds its end up ..
    Again though ..wishful thinking !

• 74 ONLINE GUY // Aug 6, 2013 at 12:37 AM

Robby ..

I have to totally agree on the beast of a defender mind ..thats what we are lacking . Spot on

I cant think of one other than maybe at a push Sahko ?. With Alderwield it would be horses for courses ,Great player to have though.

• 75 daztoon // Aug 6, 2013 at 12:42 AM

Williams of Swansea would be great alongside Mbiwa

• 76 Robby Bobson // Aug 6, 2013 at 12:43 AM

Online Guy…if we didnt sign M’Bwia I think Alderweireld would defo be near top of our list.

Thats the problem with getting a monster centre back, its hard to find one that will be as good on the ball as Colo or Alderweireld .

• 77 lesh // Aug 6, 2013 at 1:09 AM

jimmysmith @14

‘Liverpool, who are frankly a wonderful and elite football club’

Eh? The bin-dippers? Wash your mouth out with soap and water man!

Robby @17…… What you expect? It’s Remy we’ve signed man, not Socrates!

• 78 Jamie McKellar // Aug 6, 2013 at 2:14 AM

Tanquillo Barnetta, amazing winger. we nearly signed him a couple of year ago but he broke his foot so we lost interest. get him through the doors and he will astound better than remy, ince or stuart monging could ever do

• 79 julidog // Aug 6, 2013 at 4:11 AM

Why is that as soon as jfk comes in we are getting linked to complete flops.

Like how the remy signing photo had him in it, as if to desperately claw back a little bit of credibility.

• 80 magicbus // Aug 6, 2013 at 7:20 AM

Sinclair or Ince end of

• 81 Steven // Aug 6, 2013 at 7:47 AM

I would be hsppy for 5m .yes please .jonas might now be pushed out

• 82 RICKITSON // Aug 6, 2013 at 12:15 PM

No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no please God no. He is a terrible player, everything good he’s ever done has been unintentional luck, he is a finger pointer, tries to hide on the football pitch, has no fire or passion and it is baffling how he has played for England 34 times, never mind how he is still playing in the premier league.

previous post: Loic Remy Finally Signs For Newcastle – It’s Official